Paralegals and CYA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

WorkerBee in Irvine, California

41 months ago

I've seen a few posts in various posts discussing CYA. I know this is an important aspect in the profession, but I'm wondering how it's done. I would also like to hear any stories where CYA'ing actually saved you're you-know-what.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

41 months ago

You CYA by documenting, as much as you can, which includes calendaring, emails, followup.

41 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: You CYA by documenting, as much as you can, which includes calendaring, emails, followup.

When it comes down to it, when the time comes to whom do you show your CYA?

41 months ago

CYA means "cover your asse. You show it when necessary (and hopefully only when necessary) - such an attorney you work for, Admin, or a Judge/his JA, or a client. If they have a complaint about something, then you show them (through documentation)what you did regarding the situation.

Attorneys are going to be asking, "Did you ---". Answer should be yes or no, and then back up your answer with facts.

CYA does not include lying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

41 months ago

Save every single email. Save every single instant communicator conversation. Document every phone call either for yourself or by sending an email - "this is to memoralize our phone conversation of 3-29-11..." Save every draft of every doc (scan it, don't save hard copies) - actually scan every piece of paper that isn't scanned in and save it.

I know two paralegals who keep every activity they do on a spreadsheet - calls made, emails sent, notes from conversations etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Also wanted to add my current job and my last job are paperless environments so you need to save your CYA stuff electronically - like in ptx files in Outlook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Paperless environment - only print when absolutely necessary and then only if it is temporary and when finished you either scan it in and then shred the original or straight to shredder. No trash cans. Transferring data off your laptop is grounds for termination. Privacy is a huge deal when your clients have a lot of sensitive information. But no matter, CYA with what you have.

41 months ago

You can save that stuff electronically? I thought you weren't allowed to save any info. onto your own flash drive. I can see how CYA can interfere with billing time.

41 months ago

How about conflicts check? How does a paralegal prepare for that?

41 months ago

WorkerBee in Irvine, California said: How about conflicts check? How does a paralegal prepare for that?

You're missing something in the picture. When you do a conflicts check, every single party named (as plaintiff and defendant) should be checked, as well as any person or entity mentioned in the Complaint.

41 months ago

I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant when leaving one employer for another, does a paralegal have to perform a conflicts check prior to starting the new job?

41 months ago

I have never had issues with conflicts moving from one firm to another. I think sometimes the hiring firm will ask you what type of law you did, who the clients were, what the issues were and if they think there is a conflict they will run it. Even then there can be a conflict with part of the firm and you could be told not to talk to that group about their work. Really though this has more to do with attorneys - not support staff - and unless you are moving from one side of the same cases to the other side it's usually not an issue at all.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.