Should I take this job? Need advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan

40 months ago

For those of you who don't know me I am 29 years old and got my paralegal certification back in 2009. I couldn't find a decent job to save my life so I went back to school this winter to get my MAcc and CPA. Then today, seemingly out of nowhere, a tax law firm I interviewed with several months ago called me and offered me a paralegal position. It pays 37K and benefits, which I would be happy with considering my lack of experience. The problem is that the position demands full availability, meaning no possibility of me continuing grad school. I am in a position where it is easy for me to pursue the MAcc right now (living with parents, no credit card bills or student loans, car paid off). If I continue in the program at the rate that I am I will finish (hopefully with honors) in August of next year. I am also qualified at that point to sit for the CPA, which I am studying for now. My gut feeling is to stay in the program as it seems to offer better pay and job security than I would have as a paralegal. Ironically, I am specializing in tax law. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I should also mention that this is a prestigious AV rated firm. The attorneys I would be working for handle high net worth individuals and celebrities. I am so beyond confused!

WorkerBee in Irvine, California

40 months ago

MarissaH8637 in Clinton Township, Michigan said: I should also mention that this is a prestigious AV rated firm. The attorneys I would be working for handle high net worth individuals and celebrities. I am so beyond confused!

If you accomplish your educational goals, would that make you more attractive to the firm? You do seem to be in the best position to finish your education-- now rather than later. Are you the kind of person who will regret quitting grad school to ponder the what-ifs? My brother had his heart set on being a police officer, when he wasn't recruited he was so disappointed. Eventually, he went to a UC law school. What I'm trying to say is, this may be one of those times when your education may open a door to a whole new world. Not sure you know this, but a hot new trend is to send legal work to lawyers in India. Word on the street has it that they're sharp and hungry for work and Indian law is based on English Common law--just like us. May be you can consider that before you make a final decision.

Wishing you all the very best

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

DLP- you are probably right. After you said that I started reliving all of those hellish moments one at a time. Then again, I was working for sub-par attorneys in much smaller firms. The pay in this position is far better than anything I have been offered in the past in addition to the calibur of the people I'd be working for. I could really use the money so it's tempting. But I know both you and WorkerBee are right. Plus, they could lay me off or whatever and then I'd be right back out in this crappy job market with little in the way of prospects. I'm going to turn down the offer this Monday. Thank you for helping me relive the nightmares. I don't mean that sarcastically.

40 months ago

Also, WorkerBee, I am well aware of the trend of outsourcing to India. It really has gotten out of control ever since the ABA gave the green light back in 2008. And while I know the field of accounting certainly isn't immune I do believe it is far more resistant than law. There are many more things you can do with a MAcc and CPA (forensics, audit, promote to controller, etc.) than with paralegal certification. Other than eventually becoming a paralegal manager or office manager, DLP is right. Employers just don't recognize the transferable skills. And DLP is right on another note- if they are so rigid as to not let me go at 5 p.m. the days I have class that is very much a red flag. And another reason why I'm not accepting the offer.

buncle19 in Carlsbad, California

40 months ago

Go for the MAcc and CPA since being a credentialed professional will eventually take you places. Settling for a paralegal job is nothing more than a dead-end and you'll regret not pursuing your graduate studies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

40 months ago

That sounds like a pretty good offer for someone coming out of paralegal school in the last two years. I have much more experience than you do, and if that were offered to me at this point, I'd be taking it. The pay would be somewhat low for me, but it would be good to at least have employment and benefits after being unemployed for some time. Obviously, this is considering none of the other factors involved in your personal situation.

On a side note, we have yet another reference to outsourcing to India. You'd never think this profession would be affected by such a thing. Oh well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WorkerBee in Irvine, California

40 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: That sounds like a pretty good offer for someone coming out of paralegal school in the last two years. I have much more experience than you do, and if that were offered to me at this point, I'd be taking it. The pay would be somewhat low for me, but it would be good to at least have employment and benefits after being unemployed for some time. Obviously, this is considering none of the other factors involved in your personal situation.

On a side note, we have yet another reference to outsourcing to India. You'd never think this profession would be affected by such a thing. Oh well.

I only found out about the outsourcing through these posts. I researched the topic and was scared out my mind! I thought I'd be safe as a working paralegal.

mary in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

Mary's thought: RUN, RUN, RUN - from that job offer!!!! RUN FAST!!!!

Reason: Work for an attorney/law firm, they control your puppet strings. Get CPA, YOU control your puppet strings.

Second reason: If you take that job, in ten years, you may look back and regret it big time. If you don't take that job, in ten years, you won't regret because you will have taken other opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I think it should be noted that the opinions here regarding whether this person should take this particular job should be weighed against other things and generally taken with a grain of salt. A lot of folks here are disillusioned with the legal world at the moment. I'm not saying everything is all roses out there in legal-ville. I'm just saying. Good luck anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Right. Well, there's a lot to consider there. The OP is being thrown an opportunity that pays a decent amount of money for a rookie paralegal, in my opinion. The OP could easily accept the job, continue living at home, save a lot of cash and then ultimately return to school to finish the CPA thing.

A bird in the hand...and all that stuff.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.