Starting to work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 119)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Angelica Sanchez in Houston, Texas

93 months ago

I am getting my Associates degree in Paralegal and all I have left is my internship. I've applied at a few law firms but no luck. A Paralegal does not neccessarily only work in law firms right? Where else can I go look? I dont have any experience so yes it has to be entry level....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MH in San Jose, CA in Hayward, California

90 months ago

Have you tried the government? Several places to try are the District Attorney, Public Defender, City Attorney, or County Counsel (sort of like the District Attorney, but deals with civil matter, I believe - don't know if that's called the same in Houston).

If you are required to do an internship, you must have an internship advisor of some sort who you can talk to to arrange for possible internship opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maggie in Brooklyn, New York

89 months ago

I am a paralegal working at a law firm but your are correct. Paralegals are also needed and recruited to work at banks, title companies, and other entities.
Apply apply apply-
If real estate is hot in your area, then look to title companies, look to banking, loo kto social service agencies as paralegals are greatly needed to work in non profit family law. Also, apply to government agencies in your area.
Best of luck to you. Don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in NJ in Westfield, New Jersey

88 months ago

I was considering becoming a paralegal. This evening, while
researching available jobs in my area, after three hours of
searching all of the job boards I came up with a total of ... drum roll... three jobs in the whole state for entry-level people. The salary listed for one of them was ... $600 a week. Time for plan B, I guess...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in NJ in Westfield, New Jersey

87 months ago

Thank you for your reply. For me ,$31,000 a year would not justify seven months of study and $5,000 of tuition. However, as I have a BS and many years of work experience one might expect considerably more than $31,000.
The school I am considering reports that a recent graduate started in the upper 40's, which I do consider worth pursuing.
Still, the value of anecdotal, unverifiable information is limited.
According to the Department of Labor, employment is expected to increase much faster than average through 2010, but there are at present a total of 6,000 positions throughout the state. Seems like an insufficiency of choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Lexington, Kentucky

86 months ago

I have been a paralegal for 4 years and still at 30K......and I have a Bachelors in Paralegal Studies....help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Career Changer in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

I need to make a career change. I am interested in becoming a paralegal but have some concerns about actually getting a job when I graduate. I found the previous comments about paralegal careers outside of law offices very helpful but how realistic is it to think that a company will hire a graduate just out of their paralegal program? I am 45 years old. How realistic is it to think that I can get hired at my age?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in NJ in Wilmington, Delaware

86 months ago

Right now my idea of becoming a paralegal is on hold, mainly due to a lack of evidence that there are any jobs here in NJ (I am not willing to go to Manhattan). I don't see much of anything for paralegals in NJ on the job boards and I think the DOL says there are about 6,000 positions total in the state. Also, An advisor who has a JD has told me flatly about paralegals "You'll be a slave, you'll hate it, go to law school", but I am not that motivated at this point. Is anyone who is currently working as a paralegal doing anything they enjoy, and if so, what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JGarrett in Mount Sterling, Kentucky

86 months ago

Angelica Sanchez in Houston, Texas said: I am getting my Associates degree in Paralegal and all I have left is my internship. I've applied at a few law firms but no luck. A Paralegal does not neccessarily only work in law firms right? Where else can I go look? I dont have any experience so yes it has to be entry level....

In my experience, the type of opportunities available outside the traditional law firm setting vary greatly with location. Depending on your interests, you can try in-house counsel with various corporations. Also, the local, state or federal government are always great places to start! While the pay may not necessarily be the greatest (particularly at the local level), it's a great way to gain experience. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shlomo in Clifton, New Jersey

84 months ago

Hey, you may have to go to the Big Apple to get a start. I've been thinking about a paralegal career for a long time. I'm finally finishing my BSBA - it took ten years while schlepping part time at restaurants. I'm so poor right now I laugh when I see idiots on TV, like today on Tavis Smiley, some lady talking about environmental racism. Booohooo. I live in the middle of an industrial cespool here in Fairfield, NJ and no one cares a damn. After years of doing restaurant work, my habits have veered so far from professionalism that I'd probably end up socking the first attorney to give me a hard time. So why am I wasting your time. I want to give you a HOT TIP! Forget about the paralegal profession. Forget about all those white shirts and ties, those empty suits shuffling papers with empty minds. It's all B.S. - I know, I did corporate work for 12 years before a well planned exodus. Here's my hot tip...Become a welder. A year of quality education and you can start working in the $20-25/hr range. There's a real shortage of welders in the States right now, especially in high risk fields like off-shore oil rigs, pipelines, etc. Serious man. You'll spend way less than $5 Grand for the education and you'll have the joy of working with your hands and seeing a finished product!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cologirl in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

Career Changer in Denver, Colorado said: I need to make a career change. I am interested in becoming a paralegal but have some concerns about actually getting a job when I graduate. I found the previous comments about paralegal careers outside of law offices very helpful but how realistic is it to think that a company will hire a graduate just out of their paralegal program? I am 45 years old. How realistic is it to think that I can get hired at my age?

I made the transition at 49. It can be done, be prepared to explain why you are transition out of a successful career, if that is the case. I find that most of all you need to show that you are NOT BURNED OUT on life. I've been a paralegal for 3 years now. The salary was NOT what I expected. The school said 38 - 42k. 3 years later I'm making 36K. Stil I'm having fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie P in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

84 months ago

Guide

Hi, all you talented paralegals out there! I'm a recruiter for Westaff in Oklahoma City, and we're looking for a paralegal with experience in Estate Planning for a very prestigious law firm downtown. If anyone is interested, drop me a line at jpelletier@westaff.com.

Thanks for your time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Career Changer in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

cologirl in Denver, Colorado said: I made the transition at 49. It can be done, be prepared to explain why you are transition out of a successful career, if that is the case. I find that most of all you need to show that you are NOT BURNED OUT on life. I've been a paralegal for 3 years now. The salary was NOT what I expected. The school said 38 - 42k. 3 years later I'm making 36K. Stil I'm having fun.

Thanks for your feedback! I've just started a paralegal program in Colorado and hope to be working in the field next year at this time. I am a little disappointed to learn that a starting salary is $36K although I had anticipated a lower salary for the first 2 years as a new paralegal. So many of the job ads seem to be looking for at least 2+ years of experience...do you think that you could command a higher salary if you looked outside of your current employment? Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Oakland, California

83 months ago

Shlomo in Clifton, New Jersey said: Hey, you may have to go to the Big Apple to get a start. I've been thinking about a paralegal career for a long time. I'm finally finishing my BSBA - it took ten years while schlepping part time at restaurants. I'm so poor right now I laugh when I see idiots on TV, like today on Tavis Smiley, some lady talking about environmental racism. Booohooo. I live in the middle of an industrial cespool here in Fairfield, NJ and no one cares a damn. After years of doing restaurant work, my habits have veered so far from professionalism that I'd probably end up socking the first attorney to give me a hard time. So why am I wasting your time. I want to give you a HOT TIP! Forget about the paralegal profession. Forget about all those white shirts and ties, those empty suits shuffling papers with empty minds. It's all B.S. - I know, I did corporate work for 12 years before a well planned exodus. Here's my hot tip...Become a welder. A year of quality education and you can start working in the $20-25/hr range. There's a real shortage of welders in the States right now, especially in high risk fields like off-shore oil rigs, pipelines, etc. Serious man. You'll spend way less than $5 Grand for the education and you'll have the joy of working with your hands and seeing a finished product!

r u serious?? i just read this and i'm histerics....u r completely ridiculous! Not to mention, whats the "Plan 'B'" if u r female? OMG!! It was random. thanks that was funny!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rhetland in Sturtevant, Wisconsin

82 months ago

I'm interested in getting my paralegal certification. Does any one know of any legit online schools that offer this certification? Will I still be able to pursue a job with just this certification? I have 5 years of collge credits towards my bachlor's degree in psychology, but I'm 20 credits short of graduating as of 2003 (I haven't been in school since then).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

So, do you not think the 5 years I have in with classes for my bachlor would be acceptable vs. a 2 year degree? I have some experience....I work for the District Attorney's office if that counts for anything. Are there any schools that offer the ABA approved paralegal programs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Thank you for the website recommendation. I did find one school that offers it that is close to me. An attorney I talked to today that is a friend of mine said that alot of firms are hiring paralegals that get their certification from Carthage (a private upscale college in my area). When I looked on line at the info provided, it seems pretty basic and doesn't say anything about being ABA approved or even needing an associates degree....just collge credits or equivalent experience. I'm wondering if this will be worth the $4,000 to spend on the class or not...... it doesn't say if it is aba approved or not, maybe I should ask??? www.carthage.edu/adult/explore/ (scroll down once you click on the link to view the paralegal info).

The jobs I am finding posted on line, say some collge or some don't even say any collge experience is required, they just have a certain number of years of experience. I would say it is about 50/50 though, half the jobs do say collge degree also. There are a TON of postings in my area though.

vegasm in West Bloomfield, Michigan

81 months ago

Hi everyone,

I will be taking the online paralegal classes and plan on moving back to Las Vegas. I would like to freelance with my certificate in BK's and other cases where an atty is not needed. How realistic is this in making a living?

dh in Northern CA, California

81 months ago

Shannon in Oakland, California said: r u serious?? i just read this and i'm histerics....u r completely ridiculous! Not to mention, whats the "Plan 'B'" if u r female? OMG!! It was random. thanks that was funny!!

HI Shannon - I was browsing old posts and just happened to see your response above to the guy who recommended welding school. The post is old; so you may not see my response, but here goes: Honestly, I don't think his advice is that bad. As a former legal secretary (I also have a paralegal cert. from UCLA), I thoroughly agree with his comment, "Forget about the paralegal profession. Forget about all those white shirts and ties, those empty suits shuffling papers with empty minds. It's all B.S." What he doesn't realize is, since he chose not to be a paralegal, working in law firms is unpleasant to say the least. A great majority of the time, it is a very hostile and oppressive environment. Attys think they own you and have no respect for you. They expect to be waited on hand and foot and give you a project at 4:45 and want it done before you go home for evening. I've seen them start a project on Friday and want it done Monday morning, requiring someone to come in and work the entire weekend. Displaced Legal Pro in Denver, CO, once said that you need "the skin of a rhinoceros and nerves of titanium" to handle this job. He is absolutely correct. I never worked overtime and did not come in on weekends, but it was hard getting away with that. I was a good employee with a good attitude in their eyes (I was good at hiding my true self!) who showed up for work on time every day, but I WOULD NOT allow myself to be turned into a doormat. It was precarious, and I always felt like I was walking a very fine line. If you are a hard working and reliable employee, you can still be fired for refusing to allow attys to walk on you.

[continued to next post]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

[continued from previous]

Regarding his advice to go to welding school, well, that doesn't exactly appeal to me either. 20 years ago, I drove fuel tanker trucks in the military. I hated the military in general, but driving the trucks wasn't so bad. I worked as a legal secretary for over 5 years when I decided I could no longer stand it. I walked out on a job that paid $55k (turned down an offer for $59K the previous year) and moved to my hometown where it's cheaper. I returned to school full time and work 20 hrs/wk doing admin stuff. The guy who helped my dad move me in is a locomotive engineer for the railroad. We knew each other growing up, and he told me to seriously consider applying for the railroad, and honestly, I did consider it. I know that I will never fit into that corporate environment. I never did respond to that "I say jump, you ask how high," and I never will. Had I not had a child at home, I would seriously have considered trucking school. Driving 18 wheelers across country appeals to me. I like being alone, and there definitely wouldn't be the BS of an office or dealing with guys in suits and ties. Attys, especially civil litigators, are probably the most foul tempered people on the face of the earth. They will expect you to do the impossible, and if you can actually pull it off, they will not thank you for it. Their attitudes are always, "You owe me." They don't feel an obligation to treat a secretary or paralegal with respect; yet they wouldn't have a practice without them.

I bought a book called "Mobbing: Emotional Abuse in the American Workplace." The "Mobbing" term refers to a group of workers singling out one worker to force him out of his job. However, there is usually an instigator behind it, and the terms the authors use to describe the instigator are also terms most appropriate to use in describing attys. This book is a great book. A lot of what I've read in this book could be applied to the legal industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

81 months ago

Guide

DH - I looked up "Mobbing: Emotional Abuse in the American Workplace." Fascinating.
Probably something I'll read after my last job.

I left my job at a college for reasons similar to those cited in the book description:verbal abuse, manipulation and outright deception. Not to mention a lack of information necessary to do my job!

I've heard stories about the legal field, but certainly the worst of things in a work environment are not contained to that discipline alone.

Bad management leads to darker results: I've seen that several places in my 30+ years of working. Yet, none was as bad as what I had to deal with at the school.

I was good at what I did, but was so tired of all the "political difficulties" that had NOTHING to do with my skills, abilities or experience, that I knew it was time to move on. Didn't matter that I had brought positive change and results in my area. It hard to defend oneself when people try and cover their weaknesses by making up ones about you. Or make things up entirely. Through this, Management does nothing to defend you or even let you know these things are going on. I WAS a "Senior Manager" at the school, but status doesn't count much in such situations.

Bottom line: Management sets the tone.
Jerks only run free if it's allowed or ignored from the top. That's why I'm in a different field, different job, and happy to be so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Alameda, California

81 months ago

Jerks only run free if it's allowed or ignored from the top. That's why I'm in a different field, different job, and happy to be so.

Yes, and when you have jerks running things-the running is rampant.

What field did you go into after legal? I meet a lot more people trying to get out, than trying to get in, or to stay in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: vegasm in West Bloomfield, Michigan: "I will be taking the online paralegal classes and plan on moving back to Las Vegas. I would like to freelance with my certificate in BK's and other cases where an atty is not needed. How realistic is this in making a living?"

What are BKs?

It is entirely unrealistic. It sounds like you are proposing to practice law. At least in Colorado, only a licensed attorney can practice law and give legal advice.

If you want to be a paralegal, do it right. Go to an in-person paralegal school and earn a legitimate paralegal certificate. An ABA-approved paralegal certificate would be better.

BK stands for bankruptcy. In CA, I have heard of paralegals who have their own business, for example, handling divorces for people. As I understand it, they just do all the paperwork, take care of the filing, and pretty much do everything the atty does except represent the party in court. They CANNOT do that. It's cheaper to have a paralegal handle a divorce than an atty, and if the couple has no children and not a lot of assets to fight over, I guess it's a good way to go. Of course with kids and all the assets, fighting incourt would probably be necessary; so an actual atty would have to handle that. Either that or the party represent himself in pro per.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida said: DH - I looked up "Mobbing: Emotional Abuse in the American Workplace." Fascinating.
Probably something I'll read after my last job.

I left my job at a college for reasons similar to those cited in the book description:verbal abuse, manipulation and outright deception. Not to mention a lack of information necessary to do my job!

I was good at what I did, but was so tired of all the "political difficulties" that had NOTHING to do with my skills, abilities or experience, that I knew it was time to move on. Didn't matter that I had brought positive change and results in my area. It hard to defend oneself when people try and cover their weaknesses by making up ones about you. Or make things up entirely. Through this, Management does nothing to defend you or even let you know these things are going on. I WAS a "Senior Manager" at the school, but status doesn't count much in such situations.

Hi JS Dolphin-Exactly what did you do at the college? According to the book, mobbing is quite prevalent in nonprofit, healthcare, and higher education. The book makes reference to an author, Kenneth Westhues. Two of his books are listed in the bibliography of the Mobbing book: 1) Eliminating Professors. A Guide to the Dismissal Process; 2) Human Sacrifice in Universities: Toronto versus Richardson. These might interest you. Also, there's another book mentioned, but I can't remember the entire title nor where in the book to find it. It's called something "Academia." I searched Amazon because I'd recognize if I saw it, but no luck.

You are right about the bottom line being that management sets the tone. According to the book, management encourages or instigates it. Or they just ignore it if brought to their attention.

Good luck.

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: dh in Northern CA, California: "In CA, I have heard of paralegals who have their own business, for example, handling divorces for people. As I understand it, they just do all the paperwork, take care of the filing, and pretty much do everything the atty does except represent the party in court...."

In Colorado, that would be the unauthorized practice of law. A nonlawyer can hand the forms to the client; helping the client complete them without attorney review is practicing law.

I am not very knowledgeable on the subject, so I could be missing something.

Regarding your radio experience, it seems like you've done alot of different things. Changed careers 3 times or so? I can't say that I've really changed careers because I never had a job that I considered good enough to call it a career in the first place. As I see it, I'm starting a career for the first time ever at almost 42, after college!!

By the way, what are you doing now?? Did I ask you that already?

81 months ago

Yeah, loyalty and integrity didn't get me anywhere in the legal industry. I would be complimented for having those qualities at my reviews but the raises didn't reflect that. I think I've said before that being a good employee is rewarded with more responsibilities, not more pay. You know the drill.

I became acquainted with a woman at church recently who finished her bachelor's degree at 48. She's now 54 years old, working on her master's degree, and has been teaching for 3 years at the high school I attended. I told her I was worried about graduating at 42 - would my age make me a less desirable candidate in the eyes of potential employers? She was adamant in her opinion that it's never too late and that I should move forward with my dreams because age is irrelevant. I've read a quite a few posts on this site and on Monster from "middle-agers" who are having a hard time finding a job, and they attribute it to age. So I don't know if my friend is just lucky or if the posters are just down on their luck??

When I was young I wanted to make a lot of money. Now I want to make a decent living and ENJOY my work. I know you do too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

debjame in San Francisco, California

81 months ago

Lots of people have returned to school later in life and gone into the education field. They pay isn't much, but some people really love it, and school districts are glad to get "mature" applicants.

Fedora P in florida, California

81 months ago

how many years and what classes in college do you have to take to become a paralegal??

MH in San Jose, California

81 months ago

"how many years and what classes in college do you have to take to become a paralegal??"

Generally, a paralegal certificate can be obtained in two years. It is considered an Associates degree. You can take it at a community college that offers such program.. even better if they are accreditted by the American Bar Association.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You can pursue a job with a paralegal certificate but you would short yourself of opportunities without an ABA certificate and at least a two-year degree.

You need the best credentials possible if you're truly serious about pursuing the career. A four-year degree and certificate would be better.

YES- As an experienced Paralegal, I found that the big firms definitely do like good credentials. 4-yr college degree and ABA approved Paralegal Certificate.

Oh yes. I had them both. Additionally, I had my B.A. from Boston University. I must say that my B.U. education did help me to get my Paralegal job working In-House legal for a Company. Both General Counsel and Asst. Counsel went to Boston College for J.D. HOWever - that's where it stopped. [Additionally, although it is true that firms do not consider any past related jobs as experience-in my case, the company bought and sold mortgage on the secondary market, and before Paralegal school, I worked in the mortgage industry for 5years - IN this case, they put 2 and 2 together-]
NOW, for the good part - SO here I am in Miami, FL - living on the bay in a great condo and great affluent neighborhood- I get this job offer - and to boot it comes with a great Bonus schedule. I was dancing on air. Fast forward - LAWYERS LIE- HIRED during the co. busiest quarter (the 4th), I end up 6 mo later out the door with a SEVERENCE Package. Which explains the "Constant mixed messages" I got the whole time I was there. SOMEONE offered the following theory to me: You wern't fired, your were LAID-OFF. They used you for the busiest quarter and put you out the door when it was over. I ask why do you think that. Reply:If they didn't like you or you were not meeting their needs, they had the opportunity to fire you before they spent money on you for health benefits, an Second, you received a $1,200 x-mas bonus - investing more money in you - THe Legal dept was Reorgan

81 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said:
I end up 6 mo later out the door with a SEVERENCE Package.

Continued: Additionally, The company was re-organizing the Legal Dept, starting in December, and a new attorney joined the dept. Oh yeah, I was worried. I thought great, now they won't be needing me I fear - Gen. Counsel hands me my x-mas Bonus check and says" Your will be getting another bounus in June and a raise." He was acting very wierd when he said it. SEVERENCE packages are most typically offered for employees are are Laid-Off or Retire. Mne included a Severence Agreement as well, so I cannot sue the company for anything under the sun. OF couse, HR never gave a real reason for why I was being terminated. SO , what say you DPL on the "theory of being laid-off or fired.?" Maybe I was not the screw up on the job or a misfit - but just messed over.

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Just read this thread.

UHM - The thread with the theory that Paralegal was not fired but Laid-Off?
My question- WHat are your thought on "the theory" . KINDLY REPLY, oh great DLP.
Thank you..

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Were you ever hauled into someone's office and lectured about poor performance, etc.? What "reasons" did HR give for your termination? Also, did you receive any letters of reference?

(1) No, I was never lectured or inferred about job performance. THe work I did do I did it right, per my boss.
Did get "criptic" sermon on "this co is about relationships" did not undrstand it and asked my boss if he could make it more back and white so I could understand the message in the cript. No response.
(2) HR "reasons" for termination.-Your bosses have talked to you on numerous occassions.
I replied, my bosses have talked to me - but about nothing. Never said my work was wrong or had to correct it. Never said anything specific.
(3) Letter of Recommendation: Company policy is that we never give anyone a Letter of Recommendation, for any reason.
(4) Severence pay was lump check 1 mo plus vaca. I filled for Unemployment and got it, no problem. Yes ,they ask about severence pay and I told them the amount. Still got Unemployment.

Kindly comment.

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: After receiving this information, now, I dunno. Were you given any written warnings, etc.? At your exit interview did HR say anything about "relationships"?
Did you get the full twenty-six weeks or a reduced award based on severance and vacation? In Colorado, anyway, severance and vacation reduces the award. Nonetheless, at least this employer didn't contest your claim.

(1) No written or verbal warnings at any time. After the "cryptic sermon" which left me really confused -as you had related your experience - I asked my boss (asst. counsel-we shared an office)if any of my work had to be re-done and did he have any problems with my work I shoud know about. HE said NO. - I told him I did not understand what he was talking about- how can I change something if I donot know what it is. NO response from boss.

(2)HR and exit interview.
Nothing said about "relationships" HR was very "vague" as to the specific reason for my termination..

(3) RE: Unemployment benefits. I received the amount of benefits for the amount of money accrued in the quarter used for the calculation. IT was about 4.5 months of benefits.

I never understood that company at all, intrms of me and how this company perceived me.

Kindly comment, our wonderful DLP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LTS Trainer in New York, New York

81 months ago

I beg to differ. It's about knowing where to look and having the skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Do you know Concordance from the back end, IPRO, MS Acess, LiveNote Admin 10.0, Summation Blaze, etc? If so then you must be a recruiter if not then welcome for training :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: LTS Trainer in New York, New York: "I beg to differ. It's about knowing where to look and having the skills."

Beg all you want. I know where to look and I have skills. I stand by my comments.

AND - I stand behind DLP's coment.

81 months ago

LTS Trainer in New York, New York said: Do you know Concordance from the back end, IPRO, MS Acess, LiveNote Admin 10.0, Summation Blaze, etc? If so then you must be a recruiter if not then welcome for training :)

LTS Trainer - you are a hoot, of hot air, perhaps. Truthfully, Paralegals do not use any of the application or programs you have listed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Actually many corporate law firms use Concordance and/or Summation. At any rate even if you have never come across any of the programs does it matter? I am not offering training to Paralegals who want to be paralegals I am offering training paralegals who wish to become Litigation Technology professionals. Sorry if I was unclear or rude earlier to my friend in Denver. I am not here for drama I just want to offer training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: .A two-year degree and a certificate are minimum credentials. A four-year degree with the certificate are better. An ABA certificate is the highest grade paralegal certificate available. Anything less than an ABA certificate may deprive you of some opportunities.

On the subject of an ABA certificate - hae you ever been asked to produce any documentation that you have a Paralegal Certificate - I guess if they ask ou enough questions, including the "what classes did you take" - they can figure it out. There really is not much B.S. you can do at the interview if you do not come across as if you "have the knowledge"

But, for me, "knowledge and skills" was not enough - meaning - I agree with the following statement - "If you find youself changinig jobs every 6 months, its not the boss, its you." In my case, I fit the bill. In the end, trainng and skills can go only so far, - for me, in addition to some bad luck - It just was not all about that - Something was inherenty wrong with me - Stuff I will never know - Would I have failed so badly in another career - quite possibly so -

FOr woman, can't speak for the men folk, even with the educational qualifications referenced above - I have been hired as a legal secretrary - do not like it -basically cannot type that fast - but I took them, some were Ok level of dictaphone, because a job was better than no job. OF course - I lost legal secretary jobs and paralegal job.

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I don't know how much more I can add. It's hard to fix a problem when you don't really know or understand the problem. It's hard to please someone when you don't really know or understand how to please the person. In any relationship, all parties are responsible for its success or failure

I get the jist, as least I thnk I do - of your comment. Basically - with that said, I did not know how to "fix" myself because I was "unaware" of what I was doing wrong, when it was not the work. (being on time and not making trouble included). I still am - I thought I might figure it out n these commentaries -

[continued}

81 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: Basically - with that said, I did not know how to "fix" myself because I was "unaware" of what I was doing wrong, when it was not the work. [continued}

continued - Basically, my Family saw what if only too obvious. Bottom line, I kept losing jobs. The pattern was there. Worse part - is that I was "unaware" of what I was doing that was specifically causing downfall, except for some of the unavoidable situations. _ Again, we all fall down, it is those who are able to get back on their feet quickly - would definitely be a determanent as to future success - I started to fail in that part too. My significant job losses, eventually took its toll, and I was not landing on my feet for 1 time 12 mo, and then following the Co. not making payroll, {eventually went into BK, out BK then bought up by another co. So by 2006 or 2007 , the corporate entity ceased to exist.- another 12 mo- [continued]

81 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: continued - I kept losing jobs. The pattern was there. Worse part - is that I was "unaware" of what I was doing. we all fall down, it is those who are able to get back on their feet quickly - would definitely be a determanent as to future success. [continued]

continued - In my case - I have my own personal theory. the Family saw the facts of undeniablle job loss and yes, financially they helped me to stay on my feet to get another job. So by year 2000- my mother and some low level therapist came to the following 2 options for me- "live in a group home or get on disability"
And I got a job and lost a job again, and the family really started destroying me "emotionally" - the bottom result - I had a nervous break down, 14 mo long {continued]

81 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: continued - I theory. the Family saw the facts of undeniablle job loss So by year 2000- my mother and some low level therapist came to the following 2 options for me- "live in a group home or get on disability" {continued]

continued - So here I am, on Disability - Will never work again - in reality, not all bad, Living with a functional alcoholic who has a job, in a shack from hello do not go there, very depressing place, have never lived like this in my life - ANd, this is the end.

In Summary, for many, the Paralegal career, is the means to the end, a good end. I know of successful female Paralegals who got in the Big Firms, in their 20's, worked for 10 years at same firm, met their husband along the way, and have good and happy lives and financial plans. I guess they had the "right stuff." I am still unaware of what I was missing. ANd I am where I am- not a good outcome.

81 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: kmm in Wilmington, Delaware: "On the subject of an ABA certificate - have you ever been asked to produce any documentation that you have a Paralegal Certificate - I guess if they ask you enough questions, including the 'what classes did you take' - they can figure it out . . . ."

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been asked to prove my paralegal school attendance. I've had big firm interviews and even they haven't asked. I generally go to interviews loaded for bear, e.g., I bring a transcript. My school has changed names a couple of times since I attended. In any event, my school is well known in town under its oldest name. A great many of its graduates work at firms here.

My school was also , well know in the area, that being Wilmngton and Philadelphia, it was also a Law School - BUt, not known in Miami. It did not matter. Thatt is cool with me, just give me a job - and I will show you an "unprecedated" way that I can foul it up." Seriously - my story is a sad one. for real (just the facts,)

81 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: just give me a job - and I will show you an "unprecedated" way that I can foul it up." Seriously - my story is a sad one. for real (just the facts,)

And you will be firing me and again I will be unaware of what I am doing wrong to make you want to fire me.

It is "Employment at will" - which means they can become "unhappy" with you for any reason under the sun and fire you. BUt, I do recommend that it is a good thing to know or figure out your mistake, so has not to repeat the same behavior.
But you have to be "aware" of what part you are playinig. I never could, and that was a definite downfall, If you cannot figure it out - you still have to move on- BUt for me, a book to be written by Dr. Phil.

81 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: I get the jist, as least I thnk I do - of your comment. Basically - with that said, I did not know how to "fix" myself because I was "unaware" of what I was doing wrong, when it was not the work. (being on time and not making trouble included). I still am - I thought I might figure it out n these commentaries -

[continued}

Spooky - can't fix a problem when you do not really know or understand the problem. That's why I remained "unaware" of what I was doing that resulted in my ruin. According to Oprah, there are no coincidences. And according to Secret Law of Attraction, I was "sending out energy that attracts these problems" more spooky.

81 months ago

I think many of you are missing a great thing here. Forget about the Paralegal field it is rather saturated you need to look into Litigation Support Technology jobs. It's not too hard and the salary will make you happy. Try me and see for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Savannah N. in Gainesville, Georgia

80 months ago

I am in school to be a paralegal. I have been looking at job boards and all the law firms want people with experience. My question is, how do you get the experience? I am getting frustrated because I already changed my major from dental hygiene to paralegal. I really don't want to change it again. I really wouldn't be able to do internship because I need to actually make money. Please give some advice....

80 months ago

to Savannah N. in Gainsvie, Georgia

It is always that way - but you will find jobs that list less experience. My advice, take the first offer, when you get to that point. Do you have a legal newspaper in your town?. That is an excellent source for jobs, in classified section. Some people start in a sole-practioner office and get their training. Also try registering with Legal temp agencies, that only handle legal work. My advice- stay away from the rest, for legal work. Some job post from companies, firms say 1-2 years. Apply, apply, apply- Keep scanning the Newspaper classified towards end of you schooling - there could be a summer legal project advertised. Good luck.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.