Work at Home Paralegal Opportunities?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 125)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Possible paralegal in Yorktown Heights, New York

94 months ago

I'm a stay at home mom and would like to pursue a paralegal career in the near future. I have a Bachelor's in English and 8 years of legal secretarial experience. I would pursue an on-line paralegal certificate program. I was wondering if there are work at home paralegal opportunities? If so, do people generally get those options after working at a firm and proving themselves? I would like to start working from home and then go to a firm once my kids are bigger. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (391) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Thank you for your advice. I will pursue an ABA certificate. I agree that I have to be careful about being thrown back into a pure secretarial role. I'm wondering if I should put off getting the certificate until I'm ready to go outside the home to work or if I should just get the certificate while I have the time to do it.

Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GG in Birmingham, Alabama

94 months ago

Displace Legal Prof, you keep saying pursue ABA degree. That may not be as easy for some as for others.

There are about six aba approved progams in my state, and the only aba approved course in my city (whcih is the largest in ALA)is a certificate that requires a bachelor's initially and this program costs 8,000+.

The closest other program is a one/half hour drive. It may not be that easy for some people who read your advice, which is good advice, to go to a aba school near them.

I would recommend to anyone considering going to paralegal school to call the firm administrators/support staff of a few of the largest firms, mid sized firms (not all of the managers will be available, but some are surprsingly helpful) and ask them what their firm requirements are for paralegals. After all, they are the ones who do the hiring. They can often give good advice, in fact that's how I learned about the info in the following paragraph.

One of the top firms in my area, which used to require aba ctf paralegals only, (and they could get them) now holds that if you have a bachelor's, and paralegal experience, (but not the aba ctf) they will accept you if you have passed the NALA Certified Legal Assistant. I was very surprised to hear this.

Now, I do advise you to perhaps consider going back as a secretary, if the firm is one that promotes their secretaries and sends them to paralegal school. There are all kind of opportunities for a hard worker who has good skills and some legal experience. But if you have eight years of legal experience you too are familiar with the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

GG in Birmingham, Alabama

94 months ago

You have your opinon and I have mine. Let us also agree it depends upon where you live and what firm you aspire to. As both a recruiting coordinator for my previous firm, as well as personnel consultant, I have been "on the other side of the desk" and have a viewpoint of someone who aids in the "hiring".

In addition, various areas have different requirements. I was hired by the #2 top legal firm in Georgia as a paralegal w/o a certificate of any kind, only a bachelors, but I had unique experience. Other paralegals in GA were surprised to hear that (You mean they hired you without a certificate?).

So I guess you would say in my entire personal experience of about 14 years in the legal field between two states of working for a sole atty, large firm, in house corp, and major big firm as well as networking with the local legal support groups as well as setting up interviews for legal secretaries and paralegals with various law firms, as well as engaging the hiring managers to learn what they are looking for in support staff, it has been my observation that an aba ctf "does not open all doors" but it is of definite value when the top top firms are looking at your resume.

Another thing I would suggest to anyone interested in this career is that they visit the local paralegal's group. You can learn a lot this way.

This is my final post on this particular topic. Each person in the end will do what is best for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Prospective legal professional in Ohio

92 months ago

Currently, I hold an Associate in Business Mngt; a B.S. in Technical Ed.; and a Master's in Career and Technical Ed. In addition, in the past I completed approximately half of an ABA Paralegal program. I would like to do some legal work from home. Is there anything, other than Paralegal, for which I might be well suited and can do from home?

I am afraid of the law office Paralegal positions, because so many former Paralegals have told me how over burdening the work is for them. Every Paralegal that I have ever met, has left the profession for this reason. Will you please comment on your experiences/observations? Thanks a bunch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

How long do you think you need to work in an office before you can be considered for an at home paralegal position? Do you know if there is an increasing demand for at home paralegals? Is it possible due to confidentiality that most firms highly prefer to keep all of their documents on site? I want to get a sense as to the likelihood of at home paralegal positions before I begin pursuing a paralegal certificate. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Thanks for your advice and insider perspective on this issue. I think that I probably should expect to do some work "in office" for a while. I'll see about at least obtaining the certificate in the meantime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Prospective legal professional in Ohio in Akron, Ohio

92 months ago

Please explain this opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Prospective legal professional in Ohio in Akron, Ohio

92 months ago

Thanks. I suspected as much and would not have gone too far, if you know what I mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

91 months ago

GG in Birmingham, Alabama said: Displace Legal Prof, you keep saying pursue ABA degree. That may not be as easy for some as for others.
I do advise you to perhaps consider going back as a secretary, if the firm is one that promotes their secretaries and sends them to paralegal school. .

Hello GG - As a Paralegal myself, I have never heard of any legal secretary that would promote their secretary [to what, a Paralegal] and then send them to paralegal school. The cost of schooling for a Paralegal ABA Certifiate or any paralegal certificate cost $3k to $6k. I do not think any firm would foot that bill when they can hire Paralegals who already have the ABA certificate.

I have heard of legal secretaries being promoted to paralegal - however, they will not have the knowledge that one receives from obtaining an ABA Paralegal certificate. What I am speaking of is for example - a Paralegal is often grilled at the interview on their understanding of legal concepts and terminology, such is What is a "lien", What are the differen types of "damages" to be compensated for in a "tort", such as in a Personal Injury "allegation".

Legal Secretaries are often very knowledgeable of "Civil Procedure", as are Paralegals. However, the legal secretary does not "draft" the documents.
This is my two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

GG in Birmingham, Alabama said: Let us also agree it depends upon where you live and what firm you aspire to. I was hired by the #2 top legal firm in Georgia as a paralegal w/o a certificate of any kind, only a bachelorsm.

GG - This is your final post - it is still open for other to comment. In a firm of 4 attorneys, I was surprised that there was a fellow woking there with only a Bachelors degree, and he was a Paralegal. Granted, I will give him credit that he had learned to do his particular job, but it was very apparent to me that my knowledge gained from the ABA paralegal certificate far surpassed him. THis was a very unique situation.

I completely agree that having a B.A. degree and an ABA paralegal certificate, the best crededentials, will always open doors - once in the door you are on your own. It does not guarantee a job.

91 months ago

Prospective legal professional in Ohio said: I am afraid of the law office Paralegal positions, because so many former Paralegals have told me how over burdening the work is for them.

Basically, ther are two types of paralegal positions: (1) one where you have set hours, say 9-5 or 8-5. the other (2) is the "billable hour" paralegal. That is when you have a pre-set number of billable hours you must meet per year. To accomplish this goal, you cannot get it done working just 8-5.

I never took those jobs. Did not want them and my take on them it, having to work over 40 hours with no extra pay. I say no thank you.

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: When it was my turn to ask questions, I asked what are the successful traits of a paralegal at that firm. The interviewer said successful paralegals at the firm are those promoted from legal assistant. ...I have never been given a technical interview during any paralegal interview. But I absolutely agree the education gained from an ABA paralegal course is unrivaled.

Hello DLP - I think that perhaps the odd answer she gave to your question was hwer way of "blowing you off" for the job. They give bizarre responses when they are not interested in you.

As to being grilled on technical questions at interview - yeah, when I interviewed with the attorney, I have been grilled on several interviews. Thanks to my ABA certificate, I had the answers. Still was not hired. Was grilled by 2 attorneys, same interview, on technical knowledge. I calmly and professionally had the answers - did not get the job - and with the "attitude" they presented, glad they did not hire me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: kmm in Wilmington, Delaware: "They give bizarre responses when they are not interested in you." DLP in Denver said -She said she would e-mail me an online Microsoft Office test (?). Was the test e-mailed to me? Take a guess. Very rude and gutless on its part.

I have seen it all myself. SHe gave you so much BS. Yeah, and that is how they do it.

I had to meet with the "gatekeeper" first, for my paralegal interview. Here is gall! She asked me can I type and do I use all my fingers or just hunt and peck?
And the tone she said it in. my oh my. Felt like saying - .I use my toes. No I never got to meet with the attorney. She was so condescending to me for the entire interview. Again, Bizzaroland.

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: My last job was supposed to be 8:30-5 with no billing and no extra pay. For nearly seven years I put it far more hours than 8:30-5. Most days were 7-7:15-5 or beyond.. Not good. One does these things to try to keep up with the workload - and keep the job.

hello DLP - hours supposed to be 8:30-5. Curious, what did it state in your Offer of Employment? Second, if it was in writing, what would have happened if you simply worked the 8:30-5 hours?

I have not had this experience myself. On the job that CREAMED me, hours stated in written offer 9-5. When I started, I was still in my office at 5:15. My nightmare boss, said to me - when you see the staff walking past your office at 5pm to leave, you leave too. We expect you to have a life.- Fact remained, that I was expected to do more work than one can do in my designated day.

As for you - wow, did you ever work you backside off. And in the end, for nothing. You are no longer there. Worse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Nothing in writing. Maybe it's stupid, but I like to feel one's word is good. Mine is... everyone's buried,I could have missed deadlines..... I don't like being taken advantage of, however.

Firstly, I am on your side. Probably next time, you will do things differently, as we all will, next time.

This attorney sure as *hellooo* did take advantage of you, for 7 years. FIrstly, he should have given you a written offer of employment. That is just how its done. (2) the only deadlines are court deadlines, everthing can be postponed except when the statute of limitations runs. As for malpractice, its the attorneys tail that is on the line for that. So I am confused re: your deadlines and re: giving the clients the best service. That is the attorney's job, not the paralegals. On paper, we give updates. On the phone, we politely give proper information. Kindly enlighten me. I must be missing something here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Yes, everyone's buried, but I could have missed deadlines.

I am still confused about your deadlines. If you have a court deadline, then that work is pioritized first. The rest of the work is work to be worked on in some type of organizational path. If your boss tells you he needs a file done because it has a prioity, due to court deadline, you work on this. I know this is sounding elementary school, not the intent. Please do tell me about your deadlines. I am stumpted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: As you know, missing deadlines can be fatal, but I believe in meeting deadlines. Not only is missing deadlines sloppy, doing so can invite malpractice, but, worst of all, clients suffer.

How many deadlines can you have on every given day? Who is setting these deadlines? Are they court dates?

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:

"And in the end, for nothing. You are no longer there. Worse."

Yep. You've got it.

Most incredible SOB. Simply gastly. I do not know. I guess I am dying to know what would have happened if when you started you came in at your stated hour and left at your stated hour? Just close up shop.

Were you on billable hours?

I need to know the answer to this mystery.

91 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said:

Were you on billable hours?

OK, re-read your post and it says no billable hours, tht's ruled out for why these long tortuous slave hours came about.

How did it start? ALl a mystery to me. Except that he is an SOB to the 3rd degree.

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: .. but I have an experience to relate. Eleven months ago, I interviewed at a so-called "prestigious" firm. When it was my turn to ask questions, I asked what are the successful traits of a paralegal at that firm. The interviewer said successful paralegals at the firm are those promoted from legal assistant.

as to "successful paralegals at the firm are those promoted from legal assistant.
My question is : Why the heck did they call you in for an interview, [it was for a paralegal position] if they can promote a legal assistant - thus position filled. Now they just need to hire another legal assistant.

Who were you interviewing with gatekeepers or the hiring attorney?

Again, having seen too much, that answer could have been another "blow-off" of the job offer. Bizzaroland re-lived.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: dlp in denver said "We had a lot of litigation and Workers' Comp deadlines. would try to begin a couple of months beforehand. It didn't always work out because of all the other work for which I was solely responsible. As a result, I was crunched much of the time. Stressful. It bites when it goes largely unappreciated and unrewarded.

Beyond stressful. "all the other work plus meeting deadline work" - major unrealistic expectations of the attorney. As usual, he needed additional help in the office - but of course was not going to py for it, not even part-time.

Attorney expectations: meeting the deadlines, as you described above, are cruicial - or green ass you shall have, literally as you are shown the door and out the door to the lawn. It is the other work they want you to do, along with deadlines, which led you to the life of *hellooo* - because he realistically wanted it all done between 8:30 to 5. Seriously, as was said to me - a no win situation. Because attorney has unrealistic expectations.

I get it. Well - I am sure you will be asking on next job "more" about the hours.
Since I was not in your shoes, it is easy for one to think, why not meet the deadlines and let the other work pile up - until it has a deadline. I was not there. I do know it was ugly.

You are a trooper. - 7 years of slaving, for what, in the end - not that you could possibly predict the future. Is the morale of the story: Hard work does not pay off?

91 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: You are a trooper. - 7 years of slaving, for what, in the end - not that you could possibly predict the future. Is the morale of the story: Hard work does not pay off?

I was temp-working in a large litigation department of a large corporation. Soon after I started work, a Paralegal Employee said, yeah, we had this law clerk in here temping and we used him up and spit him out [gave him the boot]

Yeah they do that. My head was spinning.

91 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: I was temp-working in a large litigation department of a large corporation. Soon after I started work, a Paralegal Employee said, yeah, we had this law clerk in here temping and we used him up and spit him out [gave him the boot]

Yeah they do that. My head was spinning.

Your SOB was really bad. I had interiewed once, told the pay range and told that I would be in there 50 hours a week.- that was advance information at the interview. Then I said, I do not think this is the job I am looking for. I would not have done it for $50k - 50 hrs would turn into 60. and that was not what I was about to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Not necessarily 8:30-5. He only cared that the work got out/was filed by that day.

What an SOB. THe nerve to tell you the hours are 8:30 to 5.

You are right. Lawyers do have the real "emergency" come about. But it is not every week.

91 months ago

That's exactly what would have happened. Good decision. At least they were somewhat up front about schedule.

Crystal clear, I would say. Ha.

In the book about the Mad Paralegals - and it is a good thing we have disability insurance because staff is constantly out in rehab - getting off Ativan.

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: kmm in Wilmington, Delaware: "The nerve to tell you the hours are 8:30 to 5."

Here again, they really are. But, over time, my responsibilities expanded while the normal day did not. Over time, my work became very time and labor-intensive, meaning I needed time to do it. Some people would say I took too much time. Maybe - but the attorney wanted and appreciated thorough and he got thorough from me. Another pair of hands would have been nice. Most other paralegals in the firm would put in extra hours - though, again, not as many as me.

What's done is done. 7 years is a good track record. Of course, without saying- that was a messed up ending.

And you never got a raise during those 7 years? Curious, did you ever ask? Just curious.

91 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I did not get raises for during my last four-plus years. When I first started at that firm, the attorney was crystal clear that I should never, ever ask for a raise or remind him of my anniversary date. I don't care to go into it here, but, trust me, had I asked there would have been hell to pay.

WOW - Being told upfront that you should never even ask for a raise. Now we know what the slaughter house firm is like.

Cleo in Hayward, California

89 months ago

Possible paralegal in Yorktown Heights, New York said: I'm a stay at home mom and would like to pursue a paralegal career in the near future. I have a Bachelor's in English and 8 years of legal secretarial experience. I would pursue an on-line paralegal certificate program. I was wondering if there are work at home paralegal opportunities? If so, do people generally get those options after working at a firm and proving themselves? I would like to start working from home and then go to a firm once my kids are bigger. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Heck, if you're going to go for an ABA approved paralegal program, why not just go to law school and be an attorney?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Holly B. in Lapeer, Michigan

89 months ago

I have a paralegal degree but have been out of the industry for the last 13 years and I am also looking for a telecommuting type of paralegal job, if anyone knows of something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Naperville, Illinois

88 months ago

I am looking to pursue a paralegal career part-time from home. I have my associates in Criminal Justice and I am a certified paralegal. I have four years experience as a legal secretary at the State's Attorney's office in DuPage County. I am a hard worker and enjoy this field greatly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in North Hollywood, California

86 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: Hello GG - As a Paralegal myself, I have never heard of any legal secretary that would promote their secretary [to what, a Paralegal] and then send them to paralegal school. The cost of schooling for a Paralegal ABA Certifiate or any paralegal certificate cost $3k to $6k. I do not think any firm would foot that bill when they can hire Paralegals who already have the ABA certificate.

I have heard of legal secretaries being promoted to paralegal - however, they will not have the knowledge that one receives from obtaining an ABA Paralegal certificate. What I am speaking of is for example - a Paralegal is often grilled at the interview on their understanding of legal concepts and terminology, such is What is a "lien", What are the differen types of "damages" to be compensated for in a "tort", such as in a Personal Injury "allegation".

Legal Secretaries are often very knowledgeable of "Civil Procedure", as are Paralegals. However, the legal secretary does not "draft" the documents.
This is my two cents.

Hi, I have been a Sr. Paralegal or a Paralegal for close to a decade and disagree with everyone that says you are more qualified having an ABA Paralegal Certification. I know many Paralegals who have the certificate, but cannot perform on the job. I even been asked to handle legal research for one of the Paralegals I've worked with who has the certificate from an ABA approved program. I do, however, have a Bachelor's Degree, partial Master's degree and a partial Paralegal Certification, though. In my opinion, it's all about your personal ability to learn and to grow in the position. I have worked for several top corporations and even in numerous facets of the law. Many of the attorneys I have worked for commend my abilities and honestly, I have landed jobs where the completed certificate was initially a requirement. After they looked at my resume and creditentials, they didn't care about the completed certificate

Phoenix in Copiague, New York

85 months ago

Judy in North Hollywood, California said: Hi, I have been a Sr. Paralegal or a Paralegal for close to a decade and disagree with everyone that says you are more qualified having an ABA Paralegal Certification. I know many Paralegals who have the certificate, but cannot perform on the job. I even been asked to handle legal research for one of the Paralegals I've worked with who has the certificate from an ABA approved program. I do, however, have a Bachelor's Degree, partial Master's degree and a partial Paralegal Certification, though. In my opinion, it's all about your personal ability to learn and to grow in the position. I have worked for several top corporations and even in numerous facets of the law. Many of the attorneys I have worked for commend my abilities and honestly, I have landed jobs where the completed certificate was initially a requirement. After they looked at my resume and creditentials, they didn't care about the completed certificate

You are correct! The ABA on its website even says that ABA approval is strictly voluntary and just because a school have not sought approval does not mean that it is not a good paralegal program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Possible paralegal in Yorktown Heights, New York said: I'm a stay at home mom and would like to pursue a paralegal career in the near future. I have a Bachelor's in English and 8 years of legal secretarial experience. I would pursue an on-line paralegal certificate program. I was wondering if there are work at home paralegal opportunities? If so, do people generally get those options after working at a firm and proving themselves? I would like to start working from home and then go to a firm once my kids are bigger. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
It is all about marketing yourself and your ability to brag about yourself with confidence. Get your online Certificate in Paralegal Studies and then market yourself to attorneys all across the country. This is an affordable fully accredited online program you can check out:

blackstone.edu/overview_paralegal.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Phoenix in Copiague, New York said: You are correct! The ABA on its website even says that ABA approval is strictly voluntary and just because a school have not sought approval does not mean that it is not a good paralegal program.

You are correct! The ABA on its website even says that ABA approval is strictly voluntary and just because a school has not sought approval does not mean that it is not a good paralegal program.

www.newyorkparalegalblog.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Faith in Durham, North Carolina

85 months ago

I have recently been looking into paralegal certification schools/programs. There is one listed in this area as an ABA approved school and one closer to me that is not, but still considered a very respected school, Duke. Both schools are certified by the NC State Bar and receive state certification. Do you think the ABA approved school should be my first choice? Earlier in this thread someone mentioned ABA paralegal programs, I am curious to find out if other schools would be considered less superior in terms of an employer looking at your credentials?

Faith in Durham, North Carolina

85 months ago

Thank you for your input, good ideas. I have found some local group websites that have information for area education/backgrounds/earnings, etc. Your advice to look at the job postings and bios is a great idea...back to searching.

sally walters in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

I have a paralegal certicate. Although I received it in 1991, and do not have a college degree. Is there a possibility of getting an entry level position?

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

85 months ago

sally walters in Bensalem, Pennsylvania said: I have a paralegal certicate. Although I received it in 1991, and do not have a college degree. Is there a possibility of getting an entry level position?

I think that you should send out your resume if this is something you truly want to pursue. Cast the fishing line and see what you can catch!

However, I believe that it will be a tough sell to a firm since you have not done anything in the world of paralegalism since 91.

If you have an impressive work history since 91, even though it's been in another field, you might have a decent shot. For ex., if you have been a nurse since 91 than maybe that would help get you into a firm that works on medical malpractice cases.

In closing, my advice could be wrong, so get lots of professional opinions.

Lyla in Dallas, Texas

85 months ago

I think that stay-at-home paralegal positions are difficult to come by. I have been a paralegal for a long time and I possess a Bachelor's degree in Paralegal Studies and am presently pursuing my Master's degree. I have also been the Employment chairperson for several years in one of our local legal organizations and attorneys come to me when they are looking for someone to hire and I can tell you this...NOT ONE REQUIRED AN ABA degree or certification. They want experience. Most prefer that you have at least a Bachelor's degree. Many like for you to be a CLA/CP (offered by NALA) or RP (offered by NFPA). But not one said anything about ABA-that's a thing of the past. People can argue against it, but they are not the ones doing the hiring. Experience is what almost all of them want you to have especially in the area of law they practice in! Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You obviously assume that because a paralegal program is ABA approved that law school is the next step. That couldn't be further from the truth. I attended an ABA program and it was not like law school at all. Further, not everyone wants to be an attorney, nor is everyone cut out to be an attorney. Many legal professionals are satisfied being paralegals.

Hey DLP- WOW - my ABA program was just like law school, with the exception that we did not have as much work,and our exams were 1 hour, not 2 hours as it is in law school. Our program ran pretty much the same as 1st year law students. At Widener University, we had a day program on campus with the law students running fairly parallel with 1st year program. We both took Civil Procedure, Real Estate, and Legal Writing the fist sememster, and we both had to write a memorandum of law, which you could feel the stress on the campus when that was going on. Second Sememster, we both had Ethics, - then it was different, Law students took Criminal Procedure, and Legal Writing II and had to write a brief. There classes were more intentisified. SO- in essence, you experienced LAw School,, on a lower intense level and only 1 hour exams as opposed to 2 hours exams. Pretty cool. Of curse we all used the same Law library on Campus, ate in the same caferteria, and the same professors taught the Paralegal Program. It ws great. except for the ppanic in the air when finals came about.

85 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: Hey DLP- WOW - Second Sememster, we both had Ethics, - then it was different, Law students took Criminal Procedure, and Legal Writing II and had to write a brief. There classes were more intentisified.

Oh, I forgot, Second Semester we both took Business Law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: From that standpoint, yes, my program was very similar to what you described, Cindy, except that it was compressed into seven and a half months. We didn't have Criminal Procedure. We had a small law library in my paralegal school, but we used primarily law school, federal court and state supreme court law libraries.

To clarify my point, paralegal programs aren't the same as law school because 1) the courses aren't as long and 2) they don't go into as much depth as law school. A good paralegal program would be like a mini law school. In any event, I studied plenty when I was in paralegal school - probably four to six hours a day, including weekends. Far more than I ever did in college.

Widener U. is an excellent school, BTW.

Hey DLP - Yeah, it was a great place for Paralegal school. We had n excellent Law library.

Yeah, Paralegal school is the mini-version of 1st year law school, just on a lower intensity level.

Paralegal Hoping for at home work in Saugerties, New York

83 months ago

Hi everyone, I have my associates degree, paralegal certificate and in approximately a year I will have my BS in paralegal studies. I have 7 years of legal experience and currently I am working part time in a non-legal position. I was wondering if anyone knows of any FREE sites in which I can find part time work at home ( in the legal area.) Please advise!! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dh in Northern CA, California

82 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: See above. Once again, working at home is uncommon for paralegals. As you have undoubtedly found out from your legal experience, attorneys want their paralegals to be with them in the office. That aside, many firms have rules about taking files home. So don't get your expectations up about part-time work at home.

Try search Indeed. Indeed harvests job listings from many sites. Careerbuilder and Monster are two free sites that advertise legal jobs. Also look in your local newspaper. Your local paralegal organization may list jobs.

HI DLP - At the only civil lit firm at which I worked in OC - we had a young associate get fired for, as I understood it, trying to work too much from home. He was in the office alot, but he was doing stuff like legal research, dictation, and revisions - anything that could be done without secretarial help -at home. He would bring his tapes and any documents with penned-in revisions to his secretary. Apparently, the powers that be felt he was trying to work as much as possible at home to avoid interaction with whatever A-hole partners for whom he worked at the time??? That's what I heard anyways.

I don't blame the guy. To lessen the time I spent with a female partner for whom I worked at the time, I waited until after she returned from lunch to take mine. That way, maybe I was stuck with her in the office 6 instead of 8 hours. She caught on and started making me take my lunch when she went, and I about lost it. I can't stand someone with that kind of control; yet I only worked for her 2 days/ a week.

This guy's office was near my desk, and the last few months before he was let go, the managing partner was always going into his office and shutting the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry Garcia, JD, BS in Stockton, California

82 months ago

[
Hello,

I do have my JD, and prior to this obtained a BS in paralegal studies from Humphreys College in Stockton CA, and to clear things up, the only difference from ABA and Non ABA is the actual library, for the paralegal students, not the actual education. I obtained my Paralegal certification, from the same school, and let me tell you, prior to even being accepted into my program, you must either have a AA/AS or the required 60 semester or 90 quarter units, and this cannot be said for most ABA programs, which are not even two years programs!

I suggest looking for the quality programs, with strong community networks!

QUOTE who="GG in Birmingham, Alabama"]Displace Legal Prof, you keep saying pursue ABA degree. That may not be as easy for some as for others.

Joel Irving in Lindenhurst, New York

82 months ago

The best way to get an at-home job as a freelance paralegal is to market your skills to attorneys. You will need to show them the math and make them understand how much they will save by hiring you to work from home.

www.newyorkparalegalblog.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Aryn in Saugerties, New York

82 months ago

Thank you for your response.

82 months ago

Aryn in Saugerties, New York said: Thank you for your response.

Here is a good article on marketing paralegal services to lawyers from LAT:

www.legalassistanttoday.com/issue_archive/features/feature1_ma05.htm

82 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: That's a good article, Joel. Thank you. Ultimately, attorneys want paralegals in the office with them. Attorneys and paralegals work closely with each other. Distance impedes that communication. Offices may have rules about taking files home. They establish these rules primarily because of confidentiality or, even worse, losing or misplacing files, but also because the attorney may be working on a file at the same time as the paralegal. In such situations, the attorney usually wins.

A paralegal in my last office insisted on being equipped to work from home. It cost the firm money to set her up with internet access and software so she could access the firm's network. She still worked primarily in the office.

Some of the things in the article might be a little out of date. Keep in mind that the legal profession is outsourcing work to India, paying attorneys $25.00 per hour for work that could be done for less by a competitively priced work at home paralegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.