entry level paralegal jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 77)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

71 months ago

Go to the Indeed Jobs - type in legal secretary - go to those jobs - then go to the FORUMS (for legal secretary/paralegal jobs).

None of us are attorney bashing - just giving you are feedback after being in the field many years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Do Girl in Cantonment, Florida

71 months ago

Join your local paralegal association, go to the meetings; networking is VERY important, as many firms do not always advertise their openings, but rely on the paralegal association job bank/word of mouth to fill positions. Check your local paper, your online job boards, and Craigslist. I just recently discovered a half dozen or more jobs for this area advertised on Craigslist that were not listed on our Para. Assoc. job board or on the local paper's job board.

I would use the local phone book - yellow pages, and send out cover letters and resumes. You never know when your resume will land on the right desk at the right time.

You can also try looking at your State's unemployment job listings. In Florida, we have the My Florida/myfloridajobs website. You'll usually find government jobs there that aren't advertised elsewhere.

With your background in health care, you might want to focus on Plaintiff's firms that handle personal injury, wrongful death, workers' compensation cases. Or, look for insurance defense firms.

If you have no previous experience in the field, and are having a hard time landing paralegal interviews, you may want to try going for a legal secretary/legal assistant position. It will get your foot in the door and get that much needed OJT. I started out as a legal secretary with a solo and within 2 years was promoted to legal assistant. Once I finished my Paralegal degree, I moved to a mid-sized firm as a Litigation Paralegal. It can be done.

Hope some of this is helpful, and Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

JMonte64 in Glen Burnie, Maryland

71 months ago

Jolene in Upper Marlboro, Maryland said: I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how or where I would start to look for paralegal jobs (anywhere in the states)? I just have my associates degree in paralegal studies (from the states), and then a certificate (23 credits) in health care from a different country. Most jobs I am seeing require paralegals to have a bachelors degree. How many people out there have just have an associates degree and how did they get their job?

I agree with you Jolene. I have been looking for a paralegal job in MD for the past 2 years with no luck. Most of the ads want individuals with 3 to 5 yrs. of experience. Good luck with your job hunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JMonte64 in Glen Burnie, Maryland

71 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I just reviewed your profile, Janet. You should be attractive to PI, WC and med mal firms because of your CNA background.

Keep trying. Send your resume and letters of interest that emphasize your medical background to these firms. Don't worry about experience.

Thanks I will keep trying until I get it right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ashlie19 in Albany, Georgia

66 months ago

I am a upcoming student still getting my degree and i will graduate next year with my associate degree in Paralegal studies. I read all the posts and i have a insight on some things but if anyone could let me know what place is more advanced in getting a job in what state's are more paralegal positions being offered not really experience needed because i am willing to sign a contract and i am willing to relocate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Ashlie - willing to sign a contract - teachers get contracts. Paralegals and secretaries do not. For being a newbie, you might we well. Most newbies start at small firms and build up their skills. I really don't think it matters where you are. Since you're in Georgia, I suggest Atlanta.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Jolene: You have three things going for you: (1) Youth. (2) Associates in Paralegal Studies; (3) BEST - 23 credits in health care.

Look for a job in a hospital (a very large hospital). Work on a Bachelor's in Health Care Office (or whatever). You may get the best use of your paralegal stuff there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rosebloom2 in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

I have been a graduate since May 2008, and I have not been able to find work it's has been very frustrating I have my Associates Degree and it seems like I went to school for no reason but I will keep trying I'm no quitter and I have God's help. I just wish I could get my foot in the door but without no experience it's hard. Just hang in there and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Para 1 in Cincinnati, Ohio

64 months ago

Same here, rosebloom2! I graduated in March of '08, and all the employers require years of experience, and some require a BA as well. It feels like we wasted two years of hard work, and we still have to repay the student loans. How are you supposed to get experience if nobody wants to give it to you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas

64 months ago

Check craigslist and take one of those $9-10/hr jobs working for a nutjob solo practice attorney and hang on as long as you can without compromising your morals or values, and then after 6 months, find that 2nd job fast.

In that 2nd job you may make $11-12/hour, with a few benefits. Try to hang on a year without walking out on your control freak B-word female litigator boss. Be sure and find that 3rd job while still working at the 2nd one, so the witch doesn't have the chance to give a bad reference for you (because you know she will stab you in the back at every turn).

The 3rd job will pay only $8/hour and be temp to perm, but you will be glad to be out from under that B-word, so you don't care. But don't get too comfortable, though, because they will let you go on your 89th day as they never want to convert anyone to a perm employee on the 90th day. If they converted you, they would have to pay you some benefits and that's just money out of the lawyer's pocket and he has country club dues to pay.

The 4th job will never come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Do Girl in Pensacola, Florida

64 months ago

Or, take an entry level, legal secretary job with a 2-attorney firm, that eventually becomes a solo practice during your tenure, bust your ass, learn the job from the bottom up... stick with the low paying job for 5 years because you realize you're getting invaluable mentoring and training from a 30+ year veteran attorney. Then, apply for every paralegal job available, whether you appear to 'qualify' or not - interview, interview, interview... and land a paralegal job with one of the oldest and most prestigious firms in town.

It can be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

64 months ago

rosebloom2 in Houston, Texas said: I have been a graduate since May 2008, and I have not been able to find work it's has been very frustrating I have my Associates Degree and it seems like I went to school for no reason but I will keep trying I'm no quitter and I have God's help. I just wish I could get my foot in the door but without no experience it's hard. Just hang in there and good luck.

Change direction in your job search. Legal is laying off. Look, but change your direction as well- go broad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: Check craigslist and take one of those $9-10/hr jobs working for a nutjob solo practice attorney and hang on as long as you can without compromising your morals or values, and then after 6 months, find that 2nd job fast.

In that 2nd job you may make $11-12/hour, with a few benefits. Try to hang on a year without walking out on your control freak B-word female litigator boss. Be sure and find that 3rd job while still working at the 2nd one, so the witch doesn't have the chance to give a bad reference for you (because you know she will stab you in the back at every turn).

The 3rd job will pay only $8/hour and be temp to perm, but you will be glad to be out from under that B-word, so you don't care. But don't get too comfortable, though, because they will let you go on your 89th day as they never want to convert anyone to a perm employee on the 90th day. If they converted you, they would have to pay you some benefits and that's just money out of the lawyer's pocket and he has country club dues to pay.

WOW- sounds like my career- except I had to get out of the jobs first before I could seek employment while hired. Actually, on the 2nd job I did go on intervews while working- just did not get picked up- THEN, I temped, and interviwed- no luck, just wanted to coast on temp work - moved to Miami, got job no#1- out in 10 days, got job no# 2 - put out in 30 days by B-female attorney, got job No#3, in-house for a successful corporation - put out in 6 months with severence due to re-structure, got job no#4 - in-house for telecom company - put out in 6 months due to comapny's inability to make regualar payroll - and - the beat went on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: Check craigslist and take one of those $9-10/hr jobs working for a nutjob solo practice attorney and hang on as long as you can without compromising your morals or values, and then after 6 months, find that 2nd job fast.

You speak the real of today's reality - due to the economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Jane Do Girl in Pensacola, Florida said: Or, take an entry level, legal secretary job with a 2-attorney firm, that eventually becomes a solo practice during your tenure, bust your ass, learn the job from the bottom up... stick with the low paying job for 5 years because you realize you're getting invaluable mentoring and training from a 30+ year veteran attorney. Then, apply for every paralegal job available, whether you appear to 'qualify' or not - interview, interview, interview... and land a paralegal job with one of the oldest and most prestigious firms in town.

It can be done.

I see a big problem with that...that low-paying job- which will be low 20's- will make it hard to support yourself and it will get to you doing tht for 5 years- unless you have a husband, or perhaps live with roomate and have low rent, say $400/mo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

All in all- there is going to be a lot of sacrifice to be made- even if you get a job. In this economy- learn to love the frugal live style is the only way to go.

64 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: WOW- sounds like my career- except I had to get out of the jobs first before I could seek employment while hired. Actually, on the 2nd job I did go on intervews while working- just did not get picked up- THEN, I temped, and interviwed- no luck, just wanted to coast on temp work - moved to Miami, got job no#1- out in 10 days, got job no# 2 - put out in 30 days by B-female attorney, got job No#3, in-house for a successful corporation - put out in 6 months with severence due to re-structure, got job no#4 - in-house for telecom company - put out in 6 months due to comapny's inability to make regualar payroll - and - the beat went on.

opps, opps - too many typos.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: I see a big problem with that...that low-paying job- which will be low 20's- will make it hard to support yourself and it will get to you doing tht for 5 years- unless you have a husband, or perhaps live with roomate and have low rent, say $400/mo.

Anywho- lots of paralegals with certificates ended up being legal secretaries. If you can type fast (60 wpm) you can do it. Usually, once a legal secretary, always a legal secretary.

In today's economy- got to do what you got to do. Apply for both legal secretary and paralegal positions. The goal is to obtain a job. This market is too bad to be picky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Oh, I wasn't describing my own career, but guessing what it would be like now to get in. When I started I did not have much trouble getting an entry level job, although half my paralegal cert class never found one.

This was 10+ years ago. I would say "paralegal" was on the decline - just past the peak. The paralegal associations were trying to so hard to legitimize Paralegal, The Professional. They were trying to convince attorneys they could make money by utilizing paralegals. Nowadays, attorneys have figured out they can make more money by hiring a young bright person at $10/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: Oh, I wasn't describing my own career, but guessing what it would be like now to get in. When I started I did not have much trouble getting an entry level job, although half my paralegal cert class never found one.

This was 10+ years ago. I would say "paralegal" was on the decline - just past the peak. The paralegal associations were trying to so hard to legitimize Paralegal, The Professional. They were trying to convince attorneys they could make money by utilizing paralegals. Nowadays, attorneys have figured out they can make more money by hiring a young bright person at $10/hr.

Yeah- I knew that was not your career- just projecting what a career could be like in today's economic climate.

My career did go as written, except I started at $11/hr and when I moved to Miami I advanced from 35k to 40k.

I commented on an article from the ABA. It talked about how attorneys are figuring out that it is better to have an experienced paralegal doing the "grunt" work, not a 3-4 year associate because (1)associate does not know how to do the grunt work and (2) paralegal bills at lower rate making clients happy.

And of course, they have figured out they can pay an entry-level or somewhat experienced para low wages- due to the economy.

Which economy, IMO, is not going to get any better for quite some time- reason: jobs continue to be lost. Until jobs starts growing, the economy will not recover. When FDR was Prsident, during the Great Depression, he legislated the New Deal, his program for economic recovery. He created jobs for the unemployed ,most noted in construction, building roads, public buildings, bridges and airports. Ultimately it was WWII that got us out of the depresssion.

Bottom line- IMO- unless jobs start being created, not lost,we are in for a long haul. ANd paralegal is not a growth job today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Jane Do Girl in Cantonment, Florida said: Join your local paralegal association, go to the meetings; networking is VERY important, as many firms do not always advertise their openings, but rely on the paralegal association job bank/word of mouth to fill positions. Check your local paper, your online job boards, and Craigslist. I just recently discovered a half dozen or more jobs for this area advertised on Craigslist that were not listed on our Para. Assoc. job board or on the local paper's job board.

I would use the local phone book - yellow pages, and send out cover letters and resumes. You never know when your resume will land on the right desk at the right time.

You can also try looking at your State's unemployment job listings. In Florida, we have the My Florida/myfloridajobs website. You'll usually find government jobs there that aren't advertised elsewhere.

With your background in health care, you might want to focus on Plaintiff's firms that handle personal injury, wrongful death, workers' compensation cases. Or, look for insurance defense firms.

If you have no previous experience in the field, and are having a hard time landing paralegal interviews, you may want to try going for a legal secretary/legal assistant position. It will get your foot in the door and get that much needed OJT. I started out as a legal secretary with a solo and within 2 years was promoted to legal assistant. Once I finished my Paralegal degree, I moved to a mid-sized firm as a Litigation Paralegal. It can be done.

Hope some of this is helpful, and Good Luck!!

Yeah, I think that was good information. BUT, IMO, just being a legal secretary is not going to give you the experience to be a paralegal. You will have to get substantive paralegal work added to your job duties to get the experience.

Heck, if you are a good legal secretary in a solo office, and you type fast, get a better legal secretary job in a real firm and get paid with all the benies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Jolene in Upper Marlboro, Maryland said: I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how or where I would start to look for paralegal jobs (anywhere in the states)? I just have my associates degree in paralegal studies (from the states), and then a certificate (23 credits) in health care from a different country. Most jobs I am seeing require paralegals to have a bachelors degree. How many people out there have just have an associates degree and how did they get their job?

My suggestion: if you just have your associates degree, try looking in the Health Care Industry, where you only need an "associates" and the willingness to learn and the pay will be better than entry-level para position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Another trend - one legal secretary used to support one attorney, then two, then three, then four and now we are up to FIVE attorneys per legal secretary.

One more trend, getting rid of the receptionist and putting one of the legal secretaries at the front desk. Due to having direct lines, very few calls come in to the main number. The receptionist just accepts deliveries, reserves conference rooms and greets guests, and there are not that many guests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Paralegal in Carrollton, Texas said: Another trend - one legal secretary used to support one attorney, then two, then three, then four and now we are up to FIVE attorneys per legal secretary.

One more trend, getting rid of the receptionist and putting one of the legal secretaries at the front desk. Due to having direct lines, very few calls come in to the main number. The receptionist just accepts deliveries, reserves conference rooms and greets guests, and there are not that many guests.

Oh definitely true.

64 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: .

I also had phone coverage responsibilities - which I didn't know I would have until my first day. No, I didn't ask during my one interview; the firm had a reception area and a receptionist's desk. I gathered the firm employed a receptionist, which it did. .
What other conclusion could a reasonable person draw?....

What other conclusion could a reasonable person draw? LOL, LOL, what a legal classic.

No, my phone rang, but not like yours. YOur amount of ring, ring, ring, - definitely create "static" in the mind. (not on the line)ha.

64 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: ...

I commented on an article from the ABA. It talked about how attorneys are figuring out that it is better to have an experienced paralegal doing the "grunt" work, not a 3-4 year associate because (1)associate does not know how to do the grunt work and (2) paralegal bills at lower rate making clients happy.......

Actually, was that not the reason that the paralegal position was created?

Apparently, these firms who were commenting on the above-referenced article laid off a bunch of para(s) in the corporate department and soon found out the newbe assocites had no idea how to do the specific of BLUE Sky, and the tax filings.

Additinally, they came to realize they could not afford the billing cost of associate, because the clients were complaining about the bills- in todays economy clients are complaining and lawyers are listening .

SO- due to the costly learning curve of the newbe associates, the firms found it more cost effective to contract corporate paralegals. BUT- it appears the paralegals who were laid-off still had no job.

64 months ago

We have a receptionist who has very little to do and about 10-12 employees who take turns covering for her on breaks and then they use temps for full days when she is off. But very few calls come into the main number.

Hand-written phone messages - wow, that is way old school. Even our attorneys 70+ years old make use of their voice mail (and email). They had no choice if they wanted to interact with other people.

64 months ago

Yeah, electronic discovery is pretty cool. Documents can be scanned in and bates numbered at the same time. It's searchable pdf format. The copy services are expanding their services to do this for firms who don't do it in-house. We are too small to do it in house. It's all outsourced, but then you get all of your bagillion pages of blah, blah on nice little CD's.

Michael in Ocoee, Florida

55 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Go to the Indeed Jobs - type in legal secretary - go to those jobs - then go to the FORUMS (for legal secretary/paralegal jobs).

None of us are attorney bashing - just giving you are feedback after being in the field many years.

Hello my name is Michael. I am interested in getting started in a career in the paralegal field. I have been in the Law Enforcement field for 4 to 5 years and I am in the United States Coast Guard. Do you think its possible and if so how would you say that I should go about doing it? Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Para 1 in Cincinnati, Ohio

55 months ago

Don't waste your time. There are no jobs if you don't have years of experience, and nobody will give you the experience. I graduated over two years ago and have given up on getting a job in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Legal Sec Paralegal Grad in Summerville, South Carolina

54 months ago

I graduate in August with my Associate's in Paralegal Studies. I am making less than when I worked in a medical office as a secretary and no benefits. I took a legal secretary job almost two years ago and really worry about finding a good paying Paralegal job. I have submitted many resumes over the last year and have had one interview. I like my current job, but I want to do more "Paralegal" tasks. I don't see much of a job market with the economy, but I can take my degree anywhere.

For all the Paralegal job seekers take that secretary position and learn all that you can. The legal field is always going to be there with many specialities in law. The economy sucks cause there are millions looking for jobs. Hold on to your current job and hopefully in a few years you will find the one.

If I can't find something promising in two years I am going to school for my RN degree. You know you find a job paying atleast 60k when you walk in the door. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

frustrated in Winston Salem, North Carolina

53 months ago

I graduated this year with my Associate Degree in Paralegal Technology. I started looking way before I graduated. I had a few interviews but, nothing in stone. I thought since I had a long work history working for a well known Corpoartion that would help.I noticed that every ad I saw posted for a paralegal wants 2 to 5 years experience.I have even applied with a staffing legal agency and they tell me that no attorney would even look at me without experience. They tell me that I need several years experience to even be consider for a position.My question is how do get the experience if nobody gives you the chance to get it? Eveyone says network, network well have done all of the above. What should I do at this point. I have been unemployed for two years now. One thing I did consider doing was getting my notary stamp.(CNA certificate 1992 but,I never used it so it has expired.) Should I still put this on my resume? I also done an intership in school that lasted three months with a lawyer working with WC and disability that I have already put on my resume. Please advise me on what to do??????????????

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

53 months ago

What is Paralegal Technology? I have never heard of a degree or program called that before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas said: What is Paralegal Technology? I have never heard of a degree or program called that before.

Paralegal Technoloy,is substantive areas in law. There focus is in all areas of law not just one particular area. Hope this helps.

53 months ago

The Paralegal Technology curriculum prepares individuals to work under the supervision of attorneys by performing routine legal tasks, and assisting with substantive legal work. A paralegal/legal assistant may not practice law, give legal advice, or represent clients in a court of law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Oh I know what a paralegal is since I have been one for 11 years, but it's the word Technology that is throwing me. I don't get the use of that word. Makes me think you are dealing with technology.

Loooking for guidance in Lanham, Maryland

50 months ago

I'm returning to the profession after having been an English teacher for ten years. I've had similiar frustrations as the person from North Carolina. There is a requirement for experience, but how do you get it if no one wants to hire you? I've registered with 5 agencies thus far, and nothing substantive has materialized as of yet. I really appreciate these forums folks. The honest answers and opinions to the questions are really eye opening. I think I'd be much happier if I were working in the government where there is promotion potential built into the position because most people are not happy working in a law firm.

Are most law firms smile in your face, all the time want to take your place, cut throat, back stabbing places to work? That's the impression I'm getting based on the various discussions I've been reading thus far. Thanks for your time!

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

50 months ago

"Are most law firms smile in your face, all the time want to take your place, cut throat, back stabbing places to work? That's the impression I'm getting based on the various discussions I've been reading thus far. Thanks for your time!"

They certainly were when I was a para in the 90s in New York City.
In 1996, one Fortune500 firm female associate forged documents I was working on and accused me of "screwing up the project." I asked to speak to my "accuser" and have an opportunity to resolve this matter. My request was denied, as the associate never revealed herself.The applications that the associate supposedly gave to the partner were also not shown to me, after I requested such.Not having made copies of 100 hand completed/typed trademark applications for myself privately, as a new hire I couldn't prove that she set me up. I was let go after 3 months. There is a special place in Hell for lawyers like that "beitch." This was a job I found myself, that was not advertised. This was a true "cold solicit" resume thing. I had list of great firms and cold faxed to them all. This was the only firm that hired me from that list.

I'm sure I can come up with more incidents but I don't want to take up any more time. My stories would be similar to those of Displaced.

50 months ago

That firm is still in operation today. Where is the said associate? Probably a partner by now. How many paralegals and legal secys do you think she "erased" from the firm this way? What else has she done...I wonder. Hell has a special place for lawyers, and the female ones have a particularly "special" place there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

I'm reading all these comments, and I am scared as hell to work in a law firm. Based on the comments I've been reading, the attorneys seemed demonized or posssessed for lack of a better word. Is there anyone nice to work for in a law firm?

50 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Some firms and attorneys are brutal.

An associate assigned me a file to review. He instructed me to review and summarize all handwritten notes. The file was for one of my clients. I knew the case, but I still needed to go through the notes. That file was the only thing I worked on that week. I billed thirty hours on that file that week.

The next week I had a mini review with the shareholder. She wanted to know why I did not bill any time for all of the previous week. Turned out that associate wrote off every one of my hours! I was never so angry in my life as I was at that moment.

I don't have direct experience working in large firms, but my wife worked in a large downtown firm. She was a law librarian and loved her job, but she could tell some horror stories.

Shortly after my wife became librarian, another firm's library asked that a book be returned. That library had interlibrary-loaned the book to my wife's library for an attorney. The transaction occurred **before** my wife became librarian.

She identified the attorney who needed the book from his checkout card. She asked him for the book. He denied knowing about it - despite this evidence to the contrary. He claimed he returned the book to the library. **He then accused my wife of losing it.** Once again, the library had had borrowed the book for that attorney from the other library. The book loan had been transacted **before** my wife became librarian.

The attorney in question was a shareholder. For that reason my wife, who, again, was new to the firm, did not want a confrontation with that individual. She asked an admin for help.

Continued, below.....

Did you ever get paid for your work? When you say the the associate wrote off your hours do you mean that she tried to take credit for your work as her own? If she did that totally evil, unethical, and very dishonest! She should have been disbarred!

50 months ago

JMonte64 in Glen Burnie, Maryland said: I agree with you Jolene. I have been looking for a paralegal job in MD for the past 2 years with no luck. Most of the ads want individuals with 3 to 5 yrs. of experience. Good luck with your job hunt.

Have you found sometihng yet?

50 months ago

Based on reading these posts about working in law firms, everyone has scared the living daylights out of me about the frivilous idea of working for a firm. I think I'd be better off working as a government paralegal. Any government paralegals out there? What's it really like? I'm thinking it has to be a little better than working in a firm because people are not so pressed to make billable hours. I appreciate everyone's responses so far. Thanks for the timeliness of your replies.

50 months ago

I initially tried to get into government and nonprofit when I graduated in 1995. They only wanted experienced people, as I realized following phone interviews and in person ones. I was sort of forced into litigation as it is generalized. Having temped at Fortune 500 and 100 companies, I realized corporate was just as cutthroat backstabbing. There is a movie called The Devil's Advocate with Keanu Reeves. Although kitschy and fun, there is some measure of truth in it, especially when Al Pacino hires the new lawyer (Reeves) and the work ethic is gradually revealed to Reeves. You need to follow your own path and learn on your own, even if that means realizing that the legal support field is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Lawyers make Satan look like a boy scout.

50 months ago

Hey Looking... agencies aren't probably going to be helpful. I've chatted with my recuriters and staffing people and they tell me they can't help entry level people or people trying to change careers (which is essentially being entry level). Ten years out of the field - that's a long long time.

If I were you I'd get on Craigslist, find some solo attorney who will hire you with no recent experience because you are cheap and stay 1 year and THEN look for a better paying paralegal job.

50 months ago

Wow OM! ILMTO! That is a hilarious statement if I ever heard one! I almost fell out of my chair. A boy scout?

50 months ago

If you can't beat them (lawyers), laugh at them and about them.

50 months ago

Here's one: :) If you sell your soul to Satan, he at least gives you eternal youth, or money galore, or something in exchange. Lawyers give you nothing back.

Donald_ in Ridgefield, New Jersey

50 months ago

"You have to consider that the government wants experience. With all the experienced paralegals available, it's tough getting the government's attention as an entry paralegal."

Not necessarily. Since the beginning of this year, I have been referred for 3 jobs in the federal government. The first two did not work out, but I am still waiting on job #3.

For those of you not familiar with the federal hiring process, being "referred" is the first step in being hired... your put on a list of the most qualifed applicants and, if your lucky, interviewed and hired.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.