What has my education really prepared me for?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Awayout in Miami, Florida

27 months ago

I have been going over this question in my mind lately. I have been told all my life that getting an education is the key to success. But is it really? Success is measured in various forms, so if I deem getting a degree as successful then I guess I am a success. Yet, after obtaining my BA and Masters successful is the last thing I feel.

It may sound insane to purchase an airline ticket and then hang it on a wall. Who does that? Yet in many ways earning a degree lately is like purchasing an airline ticket and never flying anywhere.

What did my education prepare me for? I can only answer this question by telling you what my education did not prepare me for. My education did not prepare me for the harsh reality about life. It failed to mention that preparation, no matter how well planned out does not always equal success. In failed to tell me that even though I worked my butt off, I may still not increase my earning capacity.

What has your education prepared you for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Well, if getting an education is your measurement of success, give yourself a round of applause.

Now if you think that there is some kind of connection between an education and a job, that's a different conversation altogether.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Awayout in Miami, Florida

27 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Well, if getting an education is your measurement of success, give yourself a round of applause.

Now if you think that there is some kind of connection between an education and a job, that's a different conversation altogether.

Actually Bluetea...that is exactly what I am saying. Getting an education is not a measure to success. When I was younger I subscribed to the idea that "I have a BA or MBA" held some great significance. I have since woken up...I am fully aware of the "disconnection" between an education and a successful career. I think many people think one always equals the other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MS in Dallas, Texas

27 months ago

People didn't fully understand that college doesn't necessarily lead to a job until the student loan bubble. College didn't necessarily lead to a job in the 1980s either, but no one had the student loan debt since college was cheap, so it was no big deal to not find a career after graduation. You could just be a waiter and get by okay or grab a post-bac teaching certificate and teach with little effort.

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Disappointment, mainly. =D

So say my two degrees that are worth less than the paper they're on.

BG in Carlsbad, California

27 months ago

It's important to keep in mind that education is a big business and marketing degree programs is what they do. It doesn't mean those degrees will land you a job, so once you buy their product, you're pretty much stuck with it.

I know a lot of unemployed paralegals with degrees, but it's the hair stylists, nurses and waitresses who are working. Go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

BG in Carlsbad, California said: I know a lot of unemployed paralegals with degrees, but it's the hair stylists, nurses and waitresses who are working. Go figure.

My sister has a Master's degree in Special Education but she talked her own daughter out of college. Instead, she went to beauty school.

Today, she works 4 days a week, never had a student loan, takes vacations whenever she wants and has never been laid off! She also makes pretty good money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

27 months ago

We equate education with success because of all those banners that depict how much a high school student makes, a Bachelor's makes, and a Master's makes. That theory was good years ago - but not today. I have a Bachelor's and two Associate's.

I ordered business cards yeterday at Staples. I was a court reporter years ago and did okay money-wise. I am going to market myself and hopefully be able to support myself.

My big goal: (1) Get off food stamps; ---

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

mary in Tampa, Florida said: We equate education with success because of all those banners that depict how much a high school student makes, a Bachelor's makes, and a Master's makes. That theory was good years ago - but not today. I have a Bachelor's and two Associate's.

We blew this old axiom apart in my statistics class. The following people are always removed from the sample data. Put them in and the whole argument falls apart.

collegedropoutshalloffame.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holli Has No Job in Hollister, Missouri

27 months ago

My niece just graduated this year and wants to go to college, hope that is the right choice that will not get her $25,000 in debt and no job. They want to keep the loan rate at 3.74%, I say it should be 6% so people will not apply and avoid the debt in the first place. I never went to college, had a baby, so I was lucky, had nanny jobs that kept me going. Now I take care of a few of the grandkids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.