Any suggestions for on an online school for paralegal studies? Kesier University maybe?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Melody in Belleview, Florida

101 months ago

I am looking to get my Associates in Paralegal studies and want an online school that has a bricks and mortor school in Florida also. I am not in a location where I can attend an ABA approved program nor in a position to attend classes in person so online is my only choice. I am thinking maybe Keiser University. Any one have experience with them?

Keiser has several brick and mortor schools in Florida along with their online program so I see this is a plus. They rank 12th by OEDB oedb.org/rankings but I don't know if their rankings are realy worth anything but I cannot find anything on the net that ranks online schools.

I am actually attending Florida Tech University online now but unfortunately will have to transfer as they do not have a paralegal studies degree. If anyone is curious I think their online program has been great so far. I have been attending since June 08.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jane Do Girl in Milton, Florida

101 months ago

In my experience, Florida firms/attorneys aren't that concerned whether you have an degree or certificate from an ABA approved program. Check the local job listings, contact your local paralegal association - see what the common education credential are amongst them - that should be your road map as to what kind of paralegal program to pursue.

I do agree that a lot of employers are still highly skeptical of online paralegal programs. The Association of Paralegal Educators (AAfPE) website has a directory you can search for paralegal schools, including those offered online. Check it out: www.aafpe.org/m_search/index.asp

Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Kissimmee, Florida

101 months ago

Thanks for the info. I actually started calling places yesterday to see the type of reaction I would get to an online degree. I called potential employers, attorneys, and placement agencies who specialize in placing those in the legal field. None seemed concerned if the program was ABA approved or not and didn't seem sceptical about an online degree. A couple did indicate any type of additional certifications such as NALA may be beneficial in this employment market since there are so many people looking for work. Having the certifications would give an employer a reason to consider a resume with the certs on it versus one that did not.

Reply - Report abuse

Jane Do Girl in Pensacola, Florida

101 months ago

Yes, having a CP certification from NALA is a big plus in the Florida legal market. Of course, you have to obtain paralegal education in order to sit for the exam. Check out NALA's website to find out the education criteria in order to sit for the exam. You want to be sure whichever degree program you pursue, it will enable you to sit for the NALA exam as soon as possible after you finish school.

Also, be sure to check out the Florida Bar's education requirements for the Rule 20 Florida Registered Paralegal program. Their education criteria are even more stringent than NALA's. You want to be sure that your paralegal degree will enable you to obtain your FRP status in the future.

Reply - Report abuse

T in Devils Lake, North Dakota

98 months ago

Melody in Belleview, Florida said: I am looking to get my Associates in Paralegal studies and want an online school that has a bricks and mortor school in Florida also. I am not in a location where I can attend an ABA approved program nor in a position to attend classes in person so online is my only choice. I am thinking maybe Keiser University. Any one have experience with them?

Keiser has several brick and mortor schools in Florida along with their online program so I see this is a plus. They rank 12th by OEDB oedb.org/rankings but I don't know if their rankings are realy worth anything but I cannot find anything on the net that ranks online schools.

I am actually attending Florida Tech University online now but unfortunately will have to transfer as they do not have a paralegal studies degree. If anyone is curious I think their online program has been great so far. I have been attending since June 08.

South University has a campus in Florida and they are ABA approved, I believe all their classes are online expept for 4 you would have to take oncampus (any college they approve close to you. Their main campus is in Savannah, GA. It is a bit expensive but heard it is a really good program they also offer post bachelor certificate and bachelors in paralegal/legal studies.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.