temp to per dilemma

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

had it in Hillsborough, New Jersey

60 months ago

I started out as a temp to perm in a mid sized firm. HR (one dim wit) pretty much promised me the spot in 3 months. Thats when the para was going to let them know she is not coming back (family leave) they were convinced she was not coming back. Confirmed on day 90 she was not. 5 months later I am still a temp. They (HR and atty I mainly support) sat with me and gave me stupid a@@ reasons why they want to give it six more weeks more and they will address my employment status again. Here I am 5 months into it and they are telling me nothing.. Attorney liked me and my work and told me so on more than one occassion! I know my days are numbered now because since I started feeling like I was given the runaround and they were screwing me my feelings began to show and reflect in my attitude. I really felt like they were screwing me big time and just playing games. Maybe not the atty I supported but the big ones at the top and HR, whi I have been told does not like me and its clear to me. I just need some advice on getting through this. I am a single parent and need the money I am making. I totally dread going into the office and have become paranoid and feel like everyone knows something I dont. I have sat and cried at my desk with my door shut. People tell me its just a transition job look at it that way and no other way. But this experience has killed my confidence..any insight? I am thinking of changing careers been doing this for 15 years. but have had it. Laid off twice in 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Something else you should do is make copies of your best written work product. Copying it to CD-ROM, USB drive, etc. would be preferable. Also make hard copies.

A couple of more things you might do is make notes of encounters you've had with the HR person and other attorneys. Make copies of any reviews you've had. Copy anything that can document your time with that law firm.

Thanks for the good advice. I think I can make it through the day when I go in and just do my job but its becomong more and more of a challenge.Even so, I certainly do not need the risk of losing out on UIB.
I am going to begin collecting notes and documenting my experience.

Paralegal in Dallas, Texas

60 months ago

So you have a door? Really? Wow! Around here paralegals have been taken out of offices and put in cubes.

I've seen law firms do this to people - string them along as temps. I've talked to these folks, they don't understand and I would love to tell them, "If they wanted you perm, they would hire you perm." Yeah, HR talks and other employees may know that they have no intention of converting you. I always knew, but could never tell. Temps are never treated very well, you know. Do you read the Dilbert comics?

It may not be anything personal to you. They may think that paralegal on family leave may eventually come back or they may be wondering if the work load is heavy enough to have a perm paralegal. They may not be sure you are a match for the job. They may just be enjoying the savings of having you as a temp and will drag it on as long as you let them.

Even if they convert you to perm at this point, I am not so sure I would want to be a perm there if I were you. You'll always be behind the 8 Ball.

I would look for a new job while hanging on to this one. Staying at this one long-term is just going to do a number to your confidence level. Since you're a temp you can take advantage of that and miss work for interviews.

60 months ago

Boy you hit the nail on the head! and yes, I do have a door it was so appealing when I first started but its like being in a box. very depressing no windows just a small room! ugh. Even though I've been "looking" since 30 days in to this job. I am stepping up my job search I need to stay productive and salvage whats left of my self confidence.
I was never one for comics. but I'll be sure to check out Dilbert..!Thanks for the insight.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

Goodness me. This post bothers me for reasons I cannot describe without being inappropriate. Sometimes, I just don't get it.

Anyway, you're a temp. There's no guarantee that you'll be brought on permanently. It's just that simple. Open and shut.

If they hire you permanently, then great. If they don't, well, then you still are employed in some capacity and even have an office.

The bottom line is that you have it a lot better than many people in the same field. Really, you should be thankful to have what you have. Sorry if that comes across as abrasive. There are lots of folks out there who would take what you have.

whats going on in Hillsborough, New Jersey

60 months ago

My point was that its taking an emotional toll being treated like crap. that s it. Yes Im thankful that I am working because god knows I know what its like to be unemployed.

Furthermore and maybe it wasnt clear to you, they gave me every indication that I would be brought on permanent.. just kept stringing me along.
bottom line HR in this office has way too much power.

mary in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Of course they're going to string you along - they want you to be happy and productive.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

Giving indications that you're going to go from temp to perm means nothing. They can say whatever they want and string you along. Until they tender you an offer for a permanent job, you're going to be a temp.

There are no guarantees anymore. And courtesy and professionalism seem to be out the window as well. Sorry, this is how I'm reading your situation and the reality out there nowadays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.