Finding Pathologists' Assistants willing to give shadowing experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

T.B. in Phoenix, Arizona

11 months ago

So I just recently decided that I would like to be a pathologists' assistant. The problem is that I'm having a really hard time finding a PA who will let me shadow them. Is anyone on here a PA in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area that would be willing to let me shadow? Or does anyone have any ideas of how to find a PA in this area? I've emailed the AAPA, since I read on Duke's application page that they have a list of PAs willing to let you shadow them, but I haven't heard back.

If anyone has any other ideas or knows someone that could help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

aimeebaby09 in Mckinney, Texas

11 months ago

T.B. in Phoenix, Arizona said: So I just recently decided that I would like to be a pathologists' assistant. The problem is that I'm having a really hard time finding a PA who will let me shadow them. Is anyone on here a PA in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area that would be willing to let me shadow? Or does anyone have any ideas of how to find a PA in this area? I've emailed the AAPA, since I read on Duke's application page that they have a list of PAs willing to let you shadow them, but I haven't heard back.

If anyone has any other ideas or knows someone that could help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

HI T.B in Phoenix,

My best suggestion is to visit your county's coroner office. In most cases, the county will allow you to watch an autopsy for free. I did this in Los Angeles County. In addition to getting this much needed experience, you will be introduced to a pathologist who might know some Pathologists' assistants who would be wiling to help. In addition, look into private labs, tissue banks and pathology groups in your area. A lot of times there will be one or two pathologists, a PA and lots of technicians.

Finally, I will give you the best piece of advice all of my PA's gave me...make sure to spell their title correctly. The people who have been working in this field have worked very hard to make this filed distinct and would throw your application out if the job title is not spelled correctly. It happened all the time at my hospital. The proper way is "pathologists' assistant" Don't forget the apostrophe after the S :) Its small but significant! Good luck in your journey and I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

T.B. in Phoenix, Arizona

11 months ago

Thank you so much for your advice. I will try the county coroner for sure.

Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.