Going to PathA school 8 years after graduating with a BS - chances of getting in?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Sam in New York, New York

27 months ago

Hi guys!
I'm 30 years old and looking to apply to Wayne State Uni's PA program for Fall of 2013. I have a BS in genetics from MSU with an abysmal GPA of 2.87 -- I just wasn't disciplined enough for the challenging curriculum.

Right after graduating I moved to NYC and got an amazing job at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center as a research clinical assistant. I round up path collections in both my GYN and breast oncology clinics, work alongside the MD and RN during clinical rounds and also gather radiology reports for the new patients. I consider the job I've kept here for the last 8 years to be my saving grace. I have amazing recommendation letters and a solid work ethic. I am more than sure school will be very different for me this time around.

Wayne's program does not require GRE and says that the GPA minimum must be a 2.5 so I guess I'm kind of safe but my GPA is just not competitive at a 2.8. Do you think my work experience at MSK for 8 years and strong recommendations give me a shot? Does having that experience give me a leg up or is that GPA really going to haunt me for life?

Thanks all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan

25 months ago

Thinking about joining the same program, same school even. I would think they would take into account your experience if you speak directly to the program directors, establish a good rapport with them, if they're reachable. Maybe see if you can find a program director's email address, shoot a quick and humble message explaining why it's important to you, why thinks will be different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

s in Brooklyn, New York

25 months ago

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan said: Thinking about joining the same program, same school even. I would think they would take into account your experience if you speak directly to the program directors, establish a good rapport with them, if they're reachable. Maybe see if you can find a program director's email address, shoot a quick and humble message explaining why it's important to you, why thinks will be different.

Thanks - but isn't that pretty much the point of an interview? To express all of that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan

25 months ago

I meant an abbreviated expression of all that, so that they can tell you straight up if it's worth going through all the processing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sam in New York, New York

24 months ago

JediCandy in Wyandotte, Michigan said: I meant an abbreviated expression of all that, so that they can tell you straight up if it's worth going through all the processing.

Thank you very much!

Anybody else care to weigh in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.