Question about this field

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

nj biodude in Bedminster, New Jersey

24 months ago

Hey I'm new to this board and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I graduated last May with a degree in Biology and a 3.2 gpa (2.95 in science thanks to Calculus and some mediocre chem and physics grades early in my college career :-/). I also took the general GRE once and obtained a 520 V/720Q/4.5 Writing.

Initially I wanted to work in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry and finally just recently landed a temp job with a large pharma company. I'm shocked at the industry's pervasive use of contract workers (aka no benefits or job security) and extreme outsourcing (one look at the research jobs for my company shows that over 50% of research position are now overseas).

I'm currently signed up to start an Medical Laboratory Science program locally. I would certainly consider a PA program in lieu of the MLS but wanted to know a few things?

1.) Do you think I would be competitive for any of the programs?
2.) Are any located in NJ or CA where my parents live or am I going to be stuck paying really high out of state tuition and living costs?
3.) How could I make myself more competitive in terms of volunteering etc. Will my research/pharma background help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ANLef in Dublin, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Just a quick reply from my phone:

pathassist.org/ has a lot of information to look over that talks about the job description, certain requirements, as well as all of the accredited programs.

Most of the programs are on the east coast, a couple towards the mid west, and one in canada. The closest for you would be drexel in philadelphia, a good school but you definitely pay for it, especially out of state. Maryland has a pretty low out of state tuition.

As far as your chances, the gpa will hurt you a little. Your GRE may make up for it (i took the new one so the scoring system is different and I'm not sure how it compares). Experience working in a laboratory setting will be useful. I definitely suggest finding someone to shadow to see if it's a career you'd enjoy and show future schools that youre serious. Also, apply EARLY.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.