Working while in Path A program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Sam in New York, New York

19 months ago

I think, for the most part, many students fool themselves in thinking 'there's no way I can work, I have to devote 100% of my free time to studies' Now that may be true for med students, and I understand that Path A program first years are similar to med school but I was wondering - how many of you intend on working part time during school? Did you? Do you think it's possible?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yorkster in Indianapolis, Indiana

18 months ago

It is possible, but very difficult. I've actually worked part time at the med tech job I had prior to the program for both the first and second years (I'm finishing up this summer). I definitely worked more the first year, and mainly just worked weekends the second. The first year I would work anywhere from 15 up to 25+ hours a week, and the second year probably closer to 12-18 hours a week. My grades and experience in the program haven't suffered, but sometimes I feel like my sanity and personal life has! You definitely need to know your own limits and what you can or can't do, and then just weigh the pros and cons to see if it's worth it. For me it is, because I'm in state so I'm staying out of debt. I should probably add too that I am just providing for myself, no family or children. I can't imagine taking care of a family, working, and going through this program!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.