This year's application cycle

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 528)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York

26 months ago

Just trying to start up a conversation of this years applicants since a lot of the program's applications have started to open up!

There isn't a lot of resources out there for pathologists' assistant programs and I thought it would be nice to have a sense of community and not feel all alone during this process! Let's make this a resourceful thread for this year's and future year's applicants!

A little about me: I'm a non trad applicant who returned to school after many years off(to find myself and explore careers) to finish my bachelors. I'm a senior this year and I will be graduating with a B.S. in biology with a minor in chemistry.

I know a lot of applicants do not come straight from undergrad so this process is a little daunting!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

af07 in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Hi Sray28!

I could not agree more that unless you have some connections, there aren't too many easy to find resources for the Pathologists' Assistant programs!

I am a senior (graduating in December 2015) double majoring in Biology and Forensic Science with a minor in Chemistry, and I am applying for most of the programs that begin in 2016!

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Hi af07!

I know its tough because most people don't even know what this career entails! I am applying to almost all of the programs as well, except Quinn that is, it's seems like a great school with excellent rotation sites, but the cost is deterring me. Did you see that Rosalind Franklin has that photo/narrative requirement now instead of a personal statement?

I contacted them about the photos, I don't know if they are supposed to be our own work or cited photos...alas, she is on vacation and will get back to me after Aug. 6th.

Hopefully more people will jump on this forum so we can all connect!

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: Hi af07!

I know its tough because most people don't even know what this career entails! I am applying to almost all of the programs as well, except Quinn that is, it's seems like a great school with excellent rotation sites, but the cost is deterring me. Did you see that Rosalind Franklin has that photo/narrative requirement now instead of a personal statement?

I contacted them about the photos, I don't know if they are supposed to be our own work or cited photos...alas, she is on vacation and will get back to me after Aug. 6th.

Hopefully more people will jump on this forum so we can all connect!

That's a good point, I did not think about that with the pictures. I was going to cite the photos, so hopefully that is alright! I wasn't too thrilled about the cost of Quinnipiac either, but I am still going to apply. I'm hoping it isn't too late though since the application closes Oct. 1st and they do rolling admissions.

Also about the pictures, their website says each narrative should be 250 characters (minimum), but then on the application one portion makes it seem like 250 WORDS minimum per picture, and another seems like possibly 250 words for the entire statement. I emailed about that as well, but have not gotten a response yet.

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I literally just had that conversation about the narrative with my boyfriend. I too am confused. They will have to have a whole new FAQ page with the questions I'm going to be asking. Ha.

I wouldn't expect that they would want original work but the whole application is quite vague with some things. I'll let you know what they tell me about the pictures. I really have no idea where to start with this task. :/

Good luck with Quinn! It really is an outstanding program. A few PA's I have shadowed have spoken very highly about it.

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I agree, and thank you!! I will let you know what they say about the word count too, if you haven't asked that already as well. :)

If you don't mind me asking, have you had A LOT of shadowing experience?

Good luck with applications, I am sure we will be talking on here more as the process goes on, and hopefully others will join in soon too!

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Thanks. I haven't emailed them yet so that would be great.

I'm pretty much an open book. I shadowed at a large university center with residents and 5 PAs on staff for about 8 hrs (1 full day) it was quite a distance from my house and with classes it was hard for me to arrange more time. Then I also shadowed at a local hospital about five minutes from my house for 4 hours a day once a week last semester. About 30 hrs total. It is a small community hospital so there's only 2 PAs that do all of the grossing/autopsies. I also got to see other aspects of the lab there because all of the histotechs are in the same area so it was nice to see the whole process from beginning to end.

I feel as though I'm still inadequate since I have no work experience in the field. The admissions process will do that to a person I suppose. Fingers crossed!

We will definitely have to stay in touch. I really hope other people find this and jump in too.

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Just a heads up, they got back to me. It can be either our own work or cited examples. She also said "narratives" so I'm thinking more than one? Hopefully they clarify when you hear back from them.

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

It sounds like you have a good amount of shadowing experience! It's nice that you have been exposed to multiple settings as well. I am a little worried about not having work experience as well, but hopefully we will be okay!

To your second response: that makes me think it will be 250 words for each narrative (minimum 1250 words). They have not emailed me back yet, so I will give them a call tomorrow if I do not hear back.

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Thanks. I hope it's enough. They can't expect everyone to come from a previous career and I'm sure other applicants are applying right from undergrad.

I thought that too. She said it was so we can be creative so that's why there was no real directions noted. Keep me posted on what you hear.

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Okay, I just received a response! The personal statement is five picture narratives, EACH image must have a minimum of 250 words. I'm glad that we have clarified the requirements :)

Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Great! Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Now I just have to figure out where to start with it! :)

Reply - Report abuse

neh23 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Hello all! I'm also a 2016 pathologists' assistant program hopeful and love the idea of starting a community here! I graduated in the spring of 2015 with a B.S. in microbiology and am currently working in a research lab studying tumor biology.

The RF application narratives is definitely an unusual format but I think they want us to be creative and have an opportunity to be memorable in some way. I'm basically applying everywhere at this point, keeping my options open especially since I've heard good things about virtually all the programs-I'd be thrilled to get in anywhere!

Probably the biggest weak point in my application is that although I was able to contact and shadow some fantastic PAs in the gross room on a few occasions (three full days, two locations), I haven't had any luck finding opportunities for viewing an autopsy, most likely due to liability/legal reasons. I'm still trying, however.

I actually have been invited to interview at Drexel next week. Definitely getting nervous but also excited. Just a heads up that although the application deadline for Drexel is very far away they are already scheduling interviews!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Welcome Neh23,

First off, congratulations on graduating and one the interview at Drexel. You must let us know how it goes and so we know what to expect if we get interviews! I am sure they know that it's hard to arrange to view an autopsy so I don't think that will hurt you much.

Thanks for the heads up on the fact they are interviewing already. I just started the applications for most of the schools. So hopefully I'll be submitting a few shortly. I'm struggling with deciding on who to ask for letters of recommendation right now. I already sent my transcripts to RF and have that application almost done. I planned on focusing on drexels next because of rolling admissions. I'm so nervous/excited about this whole process.

Thanks for replying. Please keep in touch!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Hi Neh23!

Congratulations and good luck at the interview for Drexel!! I just submitted my application for Drexel and now I am just pending on one more document. I sent out two other apps about a month ago!! That is how I felt too about RF, but I enjoyed writing those narratives. When did you submit Drexel's application? I am just curious how long the process took for you, as I am still waiting for RF to verify my transcripts even though I submitted over a month ago!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

af07 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi Neh23!

Congratulations and good luck at the interview for Drexel!! I just submitted my application for Drexel and now I am just pending on one more document. I sent out two other apps about a month ago!! That is how I felt too about RF, but I enjoyed writing those narratives. When did you submit Drexel's application? I am just curious how long the process took for you, as I am still waiting for RF to verify my transcripts even though I submitted over a month ago!

Do you know what I am supposed to look for to see if RF has received my transcripts?
I don't know if I can not check the status because I haven't submitted yet or if it is because they have not received my transcripts yet.I feel so far behind you guys! I have to get myself in gear!

Reply - Report abuse

Af07 in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

I received a message through the application as well as an email. I am not sure how it works prior to submitting an application since I submitted the app before they received the transcripts. It took them about a week and a half to receive mine though!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Af07 in Chicago, Illinois said: I received a message through the application as well as an email. I am not sure how it works prior to submitting an application since I submitted the app before they received the transcripts. It took them about a week and a half to receive mine though!

Thanks, I'll keep on the look out for it. I have to just secure my second letter and then I plan on submitting. Fingers crossed I get an interview!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: Welcome Neh23,

First off, congratulations on graduating and one the interview at Drexel. You must let us know how it goes and so we know what to expect if we get interviews! I am sure they know that it's hard to arrange to view an autopsy so I don't think that will hurt you much.

Thanks for the heads up on the fact they are interviewing already. I just started the applications for most of the schools. So hopefully I'll be submitting a few shortly. I'm struggling with deciding on who to ask for letters of recommendation right now. I already sent my transcripts to RF and have that application almost done. I planned on focusing on drexels next because of rolling admissions. I'm so nervous/excited about this whole process.

Thanks for replying. Please keep in touch!

I will definitely let you guys know how it goes! Yeah, I hope so. I definitely understand the LOR struggles. My strategy for LORs was to ask individuals who I felt best knew me and could perhaps comment on more than class performance. At my college, lab courses were smaller and more hands-on so it may be worth asking a professor from these courses, especially since they could potentially comment on laboratory skills, teamwork, etc more than could a professor from a large lecture class. It's a stressful process but we'll get through it! Best of luck!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

af07 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi Neh23!

Thanks! I submitted the Drexel application about a month ago and heard back about an interview two weeks ago. However, I'm sure there is tremendous variation from school to school and even week to week depending on how busy members of the admissions committees are so I wouldn't use my experience as a prognostic indicator. I'm still working on my RF application so I can't speak to the transcript verification process but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to call the admissions office just to ask. Best of luck!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I received an email and a notification through the portal for RF. they sent it out yesterday that they received my transcripts.

I'm using a similar strategy for LORs.

I just know this semester isn't going to get any easier so I want to submit them all as soon as possible then play the waiting game. I was burned when I transferred schools last year and the school didn't recieve my transcripts 3 times so I didn't know I was moving/accepted until 3 weeks before classes started. I just don't want them to not recieve my transcripts and then jeopardize my chances of getting in. Especially with all the due dates being so close to the holidays. Not the best time to be mailing things!

Do you guys have any strong preference to a particular school?

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I contacted RF and they are currently checking to see if they can speed up the process since nothing has been done with my application for almost a month, so that is good news! :)

That is what I based my LOR off of, I felt that even though they encourage a letter from a PA, my professors that I have had for multiple courses/smaller courses, as well as professors that I have done additional extracurricular activities with were my best option as they know me much better!

I am glad they received your transcripts, I was a little worried about that as well since I have to submit transcripts from multiple schools!

My number one choice is RF, Quinnipiac and Drexel are also in my top 3, but honestly all the programs seem fantastic and I would be happy with any of them! How about you with preferences?

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: I received an email and a notification through the portal for RF. they sent it out yesterday that they received my transcripts.

I'm using a similar strategy for LORs.

I just know this semester isn't going to get any easier so I want to submit them all as soon as possible then play the waiting game. I was burned when I transferred schools last year and the school didn't recieve my transcripts 3 times so I didn't know I was moving/accepted until 3 weeks before classes started. I just don't want them to not recieve my transcripts and then jeopardize my chances of getting in. Especially with all the due dates being so close to the holidays. Not the best time to be mailing things!

Do you guys have any strong preference to a particular school?

Makes sense. I have no strong preferences, I think all of the schools produce fantastic PAs. I have many friends who live in Philadelphia and WVU isn't far from my hometown but the experience of interviewing, visiting, and asking questions will probably the deciding factor if I am lucky enough to choose between different options. That being said, if after the process ends I have one acceptance, I will be thrilled and will happily attend whichever program it is.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Af07- I hope your transcripts didn't get lost in the mail...it is good you are being proactive about it. I felt the same about my LORs. I feel as though my professors would provide stronger LORs than a PA, although it is suggested.

Like Neh23 said, I feel like all of the schools are fantastic. I definitely find aspects of each program I like. Geographically speaking I would like to attend RF. I am very much interested in the Chicago area, so it would be a good chance to live there and see if it is a potential place for me to settle down. My mom lives in southern VA so I am also interested in Duke because she is so close. Who knows though, if I am fortunate to interview at all of the schools my opinions could change! Drexel would also be nice because I am originally from long island and that is where the majority of my friends and family are. I'm so undecided! haha. I guess only time will tell!

Reply - Report abuse

PathA hopeful in Michigan

24 months ago

Wait...are these applications rolling? I was going to wait closer to the deadline before applying to them so I could get some shadowing experience in and give time to my letter writers. Should I be freaking out right now because I haven't applied to anything yet and don't have letters ready???

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: Wait...are these applications rolling? I was going to wait closer to the deadline before applying to them so I could get some shadowing experience in and give time to my letter writers. Should I be freaking out right now because I haven't applied to anything yet and don't have letters ready???

I believe only Drexel and RF are rolling, all the rest do not start reviewing until a certain date.

Welcome to the thread!

Reply - Report abuse

Af07 in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: Wait...are these applications rolling? I was going to wait closer to the deadline before applying to them so I could get some shadowing experience in and give time to my letter writers. Should I be freaking out right now because I haven't applied to anything yet and don't have letters ready???

I for sure know that RF, Quinnipiac, and Drexel are rolling. WVU MIGHT be im not positive, but that application doesn't open until January. I know someone who got in applying late, so as long as you meet the requirements I think you are still fine..but especially with rolling admissions in my opinion the earlier the better !

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Af07 in Chicago, Illinois said: I for sure know that RF, Quinnipiac, and Drexel are rolling. WVU MIGHT be im not positive, but that application doesn't open until January. I know someone who got in applying late, so as long as you meet the requirements I think you are still fine..but especially with rolling admissions in my opinion the earlier the better !

I forgot about Quinn!!! mainly because I don't think I am going to apply there. I definitely won't make this deadline so it would be for a year later if I decide to. I haven't heard that WVU is rolling, but it may be.

The earlier is most certainly better!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: I forgot about Quinn!!! mainly because I don't think I am going to apply there. I definitely won't make this deadline so it would be for a year later if I decide to. I haven't heard that WVU is rolling, but it may be.

The earlier is most certainly better!

Speaking of Quinn, why is it so much more expensive than the others?! I won't be making their deadline either. It's so much earlier than the rest!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: Speaking of Quinn, why is it so much more expensive than the others?! I won't be making their deadline either. It's so much earlier than the rest!

I don't know. It is the cost that is deterring me. Plus the cost of living is so much more expensive in CT. I know they do have GREAT rotation opportunities though, such as the Mayo Clinic. I just can't imagine going into that much debt.

What's your path to this career, if you don't mind me asking?

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: I don't know. It is the cost that is deterring me. Plus the cost of living is so much more expensive in CT. I know they do have GREAT rotation opportunities though, such as the Mayo Clinic. I just can't imagine going into that much debt.

What's your path to this career, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't have any experience in the field or anything. I'm currently a senior undegrad who was originally going to pursue med school. I realized that the lifestyle just isn't for me and felt lost at what to do until I discovered path a's from an allied health careers website.

By chance, I stumbled into an undergrad that actually uses human cadavers, and I found that I really enjoyed combining my love for anatomy with my love for working with my hands. I was really focused on becoming a forensic pathologist (Dr. G is my hero!), but as I said...the road is just not worth it. I realize that path a's typically don't work with looking at an entire body and mainly work with specimens removed during surgery, but I feel like I'd still be very happy and satisfied with the path a career.

So what about you? You said you're a non trad applicant...but how did you get here? I feel like non trads may have an advantage in application process, seeing as experience may outweigh grades and such.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Not necessary to be freaking out, unless you wanted to apply to Quinnipiac which it sounds like you don't. Drexel and RF are rolling, but there is still significant time before the app deadlines (I have listed Feb 8th and Feb 28th respectively but you may want to confirm). While it would be advantageous to apply as early as possible, I would imagine a great application submitted later is still better than a mediocre application submitted earlier. Therefore, I would definitely shadow and work hard on the application first, and then when you first feel it is ready to go for these schools then submit. Plus, many of the other schools are not rolling and/or do not accept applications until later so I think you are okay.

Shadowing is a requirement for every school I believe and, if you haven't already, I think is really essential to determining whether the field is right for you or not. I was pre-med as well at the very beginning of undergrad but switched after shadowing a pathologist (and PathAs in the gross room) and realizing that this field is a better fit for me. Very cool that your undergrad used cadavers. Mine didn't even offer A&P except in the nursing school so I had to cross-enroll elsewhere. Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Neh23 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Not necessary to be freaking out, unless you wanted to apply to Quinnipiac which it sounds like you don't. Drexel and RF are rolling, but there is still significant time before the app deadlines (I have listed Feb 8th and Feb 28th respectively but you may want to confirm). While it would be advantageous to apply as early as possible, I would imagine a great application submitted later is still better than a mediocre application submitted earlier. Therefore, I would definitely shadow and work hard on the application first, and then when you first feel it is ready to go for these schools then submit. Plus, many of the other schools are not rolling and/or do not accept applications until later so I think you are okay.

Shadowing is a requirement for every school I believe and, if you haven't already, I think is really essential to determining whether the field is right for you or not. I was pre-med as well at the very beginning of undergrad but switched after shadowing a pathologist (and PathAs in the gross room) and realizing that this field is a better fit for me. Very cool that your undergrad used cadavers. Mine didn't even offer A&P except in the nursing school so I had to cross-enroll elsewhere. Good luck!

I'm not sure where you got those dates. RF's deadline is the last week in December. I can fill out nearly everything now, but I want to give at least a month for my letter writers (whom I haven't asked yet).

Wow? Your school didn't even have A&P?? That's crazy! It's a virtual requirement for everyone who has a degree related to bio here.

Do you have any tips for finding someone to shadow? I'm thinking of just cold calling nearby hospitals to see if they even have PathAs, but I'm a little timid about doing this.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: I'm not sure where you got those dates. RF's deadline is the last week in December. I can fill out nearly everything now, but I want to give at least a month for my letter writers (whom I haven't asked yet).

Wow? Your school didn't even have A&P?? That's crazy! It's a virtual requirement for everyone who has a degree related to bio here.

Do you have any tips for finding someone to shadow? I'm thinking of just cold calling nearby hospitals to see if they even have PathAs, but I'm a little timid about doing this.

You're right, my bad! Drexel is Feb 8th but RF is the last Friday in December. Perhaps the date I gave for RF was what it was for last year or something.

For shadowing, I was lucky because I work in research and my boss is a pathologist so he was able to put me in touch with some people. Perhaps you could try looking at the websites of nearby hospitals and contacting the pathologist (or PAs if listed)and ask if you can shadow. Additionally, you could call the PA schools and ask if they have any contacts/alumni who may be able to help you out.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: I don't have any experience in the field or anything. I'm currently a senior undegrad who was originally going to pursue med school. I realized that the lifestyle just isn't for me and felt lost at what to do until I discovered path a's from an allied health careers website.

By chance, I stumbled into an undergrad that actually uses human cadavers, and I found that I really enjoyed combining my love for anatomy with my love for working with my hands. I was really focused on becoming a forensic pathologist (Dr. G is my hero!), but as I said...the road is just not worth it. I realize that path a's typically don't work with looking at an entire body and mainly work with specimens removed during surgery, but I feel like I'd still be very happy and satisfied with the path a career.

So what about you? You said you're a non trad applicant...but how did you get here? I feel like non trads may have an advantage in application process, seeing as experience may outweigh grades and such.

Thats awesome...i wish we were able to use cadavers in our A&P class. I'm not super non trad...but I took about 5/6 years off from school after a stint in art school when I realized that wash't for me....I started out as premed but I realized that it is not what i really wanted..so like you I was lost and started looking into MS/Phd programs. I really loved anatomy so I googled possible careers in it and found Path A and it just clicked. I knew it was what I wanted. Then I shadowed and what not and it just helped further solidify my decision.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: I'm not sure where you got those dates. RF's deadline is the last week in December. I can fill out nearly everything now, but I want to give at least a month for my letter writers (whom I haven't asked yet).

I contacted the AAPA and was able to find 2 opportunities through them. It took a few weeks for them to get back to me though so be patient! I believe Duke and WVU (I'm sure others would help too) both have info on who to email to try to set up shadowing opportunities via alumni I believe.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

So I've got two questions for you all.

How are you organizing your LORs? Is Interfolio a good service or do schools not necessarily accept this method?

Second, would going to a Canadian school be feasible if I wanted to work in the US? Or would this not be possible. UWO states that they accept international students as well, but I'm hesitant on applying because I don't actually want to live in Canada. It's worth noting that their program says MClS (master's of clinical science) instead of MHS (master's of health science) that the US schools have listed.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: So I've got two questions for you all.

How are you organizing your LORs? Is Interfolio a good service or do schools not necessarily accept this method?

Second, would going to a Canadian school be feasible if I wanted to work in the US? Or would this not be possible. UWO states that they accept international students as well, but I'm hesitant on applying because I don't actually want to live in Canada. It's worth noting that their program says MClS (master's of clinical science) instead of MHS (master's of health science) that the US schools have listed.

I do not know much about the Canadian programs, as I don't plan on attending one of them. I don't think the title of the degree matters much, even with US schools it varies (some are MS some are MHS) I think what matters is if they are accredited and if you qualify to take the ASCP exam upon graduating.

For you question about LORs every school requires a different format. I think some allow interfolio, some want it on official letterhead, some want it through a website/email within their portal. You seem very enthusiastic but a lot of these questions are answered on their websites. There is a wealth of information on them. I created a spreadsheet for myself to keep track of everything. Hope this helps!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: I do not know much about the Canadian programs, as I don't plan on attending one of them. I don't think the title of the degree matters much, even with US schools it varies (some are MS some are MHS) I think what matters is if they are accredited and if you qualify to take the ASCP exam upon graduating.

For you question about LORs every school requires a different format. I think some allow interfolio, some want it on official letterhead, some want it through a website/email within their portal. You seem very enthusiastic but a lot of these questions are answered on their websites. There is a wealth of information on them. I created a spreadsheet for myself to keep track of everything. Hope this helps!

Well there are two programs accredited by the NAACLS in Canada. I'm still just a bit hesitant on applying there though.

Heh. Forgive me on the LOR bit; I like to get a bit ahead of myself. :) I'm just excited!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: Well there are two programs accredited by the NAACLS in Canada. I'm still just a bit hesitant on applying there though.

Heh. Forgive me on the LOR bit; I like to get a bit ahead of myself. :) I'm just excited!

I think you can work in the US with a degree from there...its the same accrediting body. I just don't want to deal with the whole international student thing so I am not applying there. Plus they take very few students I think.

No worries at all. I just figured that you would get a quicker/more accurate answer by checking the websites than waiting around for someone to reply. :)

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that I had my interview at Drexel a couple days ago and it was a really great experience! I met with both co-directors, Ms. Rader and Mr. Moore, and it was really laid-back and relaxed. They gave me the opportunity to ask any questions I had about the program and career, talked about the curriculum and rotation sites, and then arranged for me to meet with some of the current students to talk about their experiences and get their perspective on the program. After that, Mr. Moore gave me a tour of the facilities. I was anticipating receiving more questions and it being a bit more formal so I'm worried I came off as a bit more shy/reserved than I would have liked, but overall I was really impressed with Drexel's program and the co-directors and am nervous and excited to hear from them regarding possible admission.

I don't know much about the two programs in Canada as I'm probably not going to apply to them. I think they are very small but do accept international applicants. Since they are both accredited, I see no reason why graduates would have any trouble finding a job in the U.S. (Just as I assume U.S. grads are eligible for Canadian positions). The only downside might be financial aid/the process of obtaining loans, but if you're interested I would say go for it!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I cannot be very helpful regarding the schools in Canada, but like everyone has been saying I believe as long as the program is accredited and requires the same certification after graduation (which they both do), finding employment should not be difficult in comparison to a program in the U.S.

Neh23, thank you for the feedback on the interview, I am glad that it went well!! I'm sure that you did not come off as shy and reserved as you may think, everyone is going to be nervous/excited/all sorts of emotions in an interview process!!

I have officially submitted all of my documents for the programs I am applying to, so now I am just playing the waiting game! This is such an exciting moment, I really hope that I will have the opportunity to interview!!

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Neh23 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that I had my interview at Drexel a couple days ago and it was a really great experience! I met with both co-directors, Ms. Rader and Mr. Moore, and it was really laid-back and relaxed. They gave me the opportunity to ask any questions I had about the program and career, talked about the curriculum and rotation sites, and then arranged for me to meet with some of the current students to talk about their experiences and get their perspective on the program. After that, Mr. Moore gave me a tour of the facilities. I was anticipating receiving more questions and it being a bit more formal so I'm worried I came off as a bit more shy/reserved than I would have liked, but overall I was really impressed with Drexel's program and the co-directors and am nervous and excited to hear from them regarding possible admission.

I don't know much about the two programs in Canada as I'm probably not going to apply to them. I think they are very small but do accept international applicants. Since they are both accredited, I see no reason why graduates would have any trouble finding a job in the U.S. (Just as I assume U.S. grads are eligible for Canadian positions). The only downside might be financial aid/the process of obtaining loans, but if you're interested I would say go for it!

Congrats on the interview! I'm sure you were just fine.

What's interesting is that I cannot seem to apply to Drexel's PathA program from their online application. Other master's/doctoral degrees are listed, but this one is not. Perhaps they have already decided that they know who they will fill the positions with. I've emailed them to ask anyway. Good luck; I hope you get one of the spots!

I actually did a bit of Googling in regards to the Canadian schools and it seems as though I CAN receive federal loans for the one I had my eye on. Of course, it's best to contact to contact FAFSA on this.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

af07 in Chicago, Illinois said: I have officially submitted all of my documents for the programs I am applying to, so now I am just playing the waiting game! This is such an exciting moment, I really hope that I will have the opportunity to interview!!

Good luck! Any reason why you're not applying to those that haven't opened their apps yet?

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Neh23 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that I had my interview at Drexel a couple days ago and it was a really great experience! I met with both co-directors, Ms. Rader and Mr. Moore, and it was really laid-back and relaxed. They gave me the opportunity to ask any questions I had about the program and career, talked about the curriculum and rotation sites, and then arranged for me to meet with some of the current students to talk about their experiences and get their perspective on the program. After that, Mr. Moore gave me a tour of the facilities. I was anticipating receiving more questions and it being a bit more formal so I'm worried I came off as a bit more shy/reserved than I would have liked, but overall I was really impressed with Drexel's program and the co-directors and am nervous and excited to hear from them regarding possible admission.

I'm sure you did fine! It must be a relief to be done with the interview. What did you like/dislike about the program? I can relate with being shy, its one of my biggest fears about the interview.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: Congrats on the interview! I'm sure you were just fine.

What's interesting is that I cannot seem to apply to Drexel's PathA program from their online application. Other master's/doctoral degrees are listed, but this one is not. Perhaps they have already decided that they know who they will fill the positions with. I've emailed them to ask anyway. Good luck; I hope you get one of the spots!

I actually did a bit of Googling in regards to the Canadian schools and it seems as though I CAN receive federal loans for the one I had my eye on. Of course, it's best to contact to contact FAFSA on this.

I had a similar issue accessing the online application. I think I am just going to fill out the paper one. It seems like they accept applications until Feb. I believe so maybe its just an issue on their end with the portal?

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: I had a similar issue accessing the online application. I think I am just going to fill out the paper one. It seems like they accept applications until Feb. I believe so maybe its just an issue on their end with the portal?

Ugh..wtf I am getting a bit frustrated now. I started filling out IU's online application yesterday and didn't complete it, but I tried logging back in today and it deleted all of my progress and "pathologists' assistant" is no longer an available choice of program for me to apply to...even though I started doing it the other day! What in the world is going on with these places?

Neh23 and af07, did you guys fill out an online app or physical one for Drexel?

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: Ugh..wtf I am getting a bit frustrated now. I started filling out IU's online application yesterday and didn't complete it, but I tried logging back in today and it deleted all of my progress and "pathologists' assistant" is no longer an available choice of program for me to apply to...even though I started doing it the other day! What in the world is going on with these places?

Neh23 and af07, did you guys fill out an online app or physical one for Drexel?

Scratch that first bit. Apparently there are multiple graduate application portals. I'm still wondering about Drexel's app, though.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

PathA hopeful in Michigan said: Congrats on the interview! I'm sure you were just fine.

Yeah I couldn't get that to work either, they're definitely not done with the admissions process yet by any means! I applied via a paper application. However, the online link to pay the application fee worked fine for me so I did that rather than send a check through the mail. Ms. Rader will let you know when each component of your application is received, for me it didn't take long at all.

Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sray28 in Plattsburgh, New York said: I'm sure you did fine! It must be a relief to be done with the interview. What did you like/dislike about the program? I can relate with being shy, its one of my biggest fears about the interview.

There was a lot to like. I like the urban environment of Philadelphia and the resources available, the rotation sites look great, there's a dorm right next door to the main class building where students can stay (especially the first semester, which is the hardest, and negates the need to drive down and apartment hunt before school starts), the program directors definitely seem to know what they're doing, the students had good things to say for the most part and seem confident about the job search, facilities are nice. In terms of cost Drexel is around the middle of the road comparatively, not too bad. Finally, both the program directors and students were very honest with me about all aspects of the program and my questions, no spinning or downplaying or anything like that, which was refreshing.

In terms of dislikes...not much stood out that is likely very different elsewhere. It was made clear that the first semester (summer) is very grueling with a lot of studying required. Any outside distractions/personal issues will be a problem. For the rotations, they are very intense with 54 straight weeks, no breaks (except holidays and maybe a few days if you ask), with tests, and there isn't really any choice in terms of where you rotate when. There was one professor some of the students weren't thrilled about, and some also grumbled about wanting to move the laboratory management course to later in the curriculum. However, this is all stuff that to me is either true at all of the schools or relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. Overall, the students seemed pleased with the program and I came away impressed. Really hope I get an acceptance...

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.