Getting a patient care assistant job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 55)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

How did you get your start doing patient care assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

elisa in Reading, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

i am trying to apply for this job how i go appling for this postion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie Frost in Waterford, Michigan

86 months ago

Im trying to find out info on how to take care of my grandparents and get paid doing it how ? any ideas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

HEATHER HOCKENBERRY in Salt Lake City, Utah

82 months ago

Jamie Frost in Waterford, Michigan said: Im trying to find out info on how to take care of my grandparents and get paid doing it how ? any ideas

YOU SHOULDNT BE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET PAID TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR GRANDPARENTS. THEY ARE ELDERLY, MOST LIKELY FRAGILE, VULNERABLE HUMAN BEINGS. YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT MAKES ME WANT TO THROW UP. QUIT BEING SELFISH AND DO IT OUT OF RESPECT AND LOVE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

ag in El Paso, Texas

77 months ago

HEATHER HOCKENBERRY in Salt Lake City, Utah said: YOU SHOULDNT BE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET PAID TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR GRANDPARENTS. THEY ARE ELDERLY, MOST LIKELY FRAGILE, VULNERABLE HUMAN BEINGS. YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT MAKES ME WANT TO THROW UP. QUIT BEING SELFISH AND DO IT OUT OF RESPECT AND LOVE.

Please do not be so quick to judge, many people have to quit their jobs in order to care for their elderly loved ones. And many times it is not out of selfishness, just sheer desperation. How else will they pay for their food, bills, medications?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crystal in Bemidji, Minnesota

75 months ago

She has every right to want to be paid for her services wether they are relation or not. I am a cna/pca/medical office assistant which i take care of elderly in an assisted living home which i run. I will tell you that the first step is to contact the state which will set u up. I will let you know that you would receive 20% of their gross monthly income. The state dosn't pay you, your grandparents would.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shemetra in Dallas, Texas

75 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing patient care assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I started out working in the kitchen at a nursing home. Then, the floor had a free class for nurse aides at the facility. So I took the class and started working on the floor. I then went to apply for a job as a patient care assistant at the hospital since I had worked as a nurse aide for 5 years. The experience helps alot. I am now looking into getting my med aide liscense at the local community college. Good luck and know that it takes special people to do this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michele Phillips2008 in Kinder, Louisiana

75 months ago

HEATHER HOCKENBERRY in Salt Lake City, Utah said: YOU SHOULDNT BE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET PAID TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR GRANDPARENTS. THEY ARE ELDERLY, MOST LIKELY FRAGILE, VULNERABLE HUMAN BEINGS. YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT MAKES ME WANT TO THROW UP. QUIT BEING SELFISH AND DO IT OUT OF RESPECT AND LOVE.

This is in response to Heather Hockenberry's comment about "the type of person that makes her want to throw up." I am a 32 year old mother of 2 boys (13 & 10) who lost her mother and only sister in a vehicle accident almost 3 years ago. When I was 15, my mother remarried and we moved 2 hours away from my grandparents...for over 13 years, my grandmother got up on Sunday and cooked lunch and packed it in an ice chest, drove 2 hours and we all had lunch together every Sunday. My mother was an only child, and she was adopted by my grandparents when she was 4 years old. She only had me and my sister, so when they were killed, I became the only one to take care of them. They were able to live alone until 2 months ago when I quit my job as a nurse, pulled my children out of their home and school and moved to take care of them. They are now 87 & 83 and my grandmother has cancer. I am not looking for a gold star, but I took a significant pay cut to make this decision...& it wasn't an easy one. Now, I have no income, my children want to go home and we are not only away from our home, but have combined my family in the same house with them. Now, I will tell you that the reason I am here is out of pure LOVE...they are my heart and just about raised me...they are like my parents. But you will never know how hard these things can be until you have had to do it and how your heart breaks when your kids cry to go home. You will never know how many tears can be shed over a situation like this one. My grandmother now requires help with all activities of daily living and it can be very trying and difficult to be a sole caregiver. You must never have had

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michele Phillips2008 in Kinder, Louisiana

75 months ago

[QUOTE who="Michele Phillips

You must never have had any experience with this. I am sorry to hear that people like us make you sick, but I would NEVER let my grandparents pay me, but there are some states that do participate in helping people like "me". All I can say is don't judge people until you know their circumstances...remember you will be judged by the same judgement!ips2008 in Kinder, Louisiana"]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Hayward, California

75 months ago

My friend cannot leave the house long enough to get a fulltime job because her mother ended up living with her suddenly and needs full time care that her mother does not have insurance or medicare coverage for. This is not an insensitve questions when so many have to work outside the home to keep a roof over their heads and their grandparents or parents didn't save enough for their retirement and care so it falls on their shoulders.

Your response was insensitive. This isn't about having them for a meal or helping them with things that come up this is a life altering situation.
Get a clue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennet in Montrose, Michigan

75 months ago

you clearly dont have much of a heart im in a similar situation i have taken time of school to help my grandmother who is not well i love my grandmother very much she is prettymuch the closet thing i have ever had to a parent no one else in the family has the remotest concern for her i provide around the clock care i have moved in with her and take the best care of her i can i take her to the hospital this week shes had to go to er twice for fevers over 103 i take her to the doctors and do all the shopping cleaning cooking i help her dress and go to the bathroom i havent left the house for myself in 3 weeks i love her so much and i dont mind doing this but she wont always be here and at some point she will pass on when she does how will i survive i certainly cant get a job and while im taking online classes right now i hope to one day return back to u of m where i was on the deans list no one in my family will help me do that and now that i am broke with no way of working what would you sugest i do to save up money for that day that will come

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Mahnomen, Minnesota

75 months ago

that doesnt work if you have to care for them 24/7 you have to make a living some how and take care of them so it is out of love and respect but people arnt made of money so its hard to care for some one and work fulltime it doesnt work

Jan in Gansevoort, New York

66 months ago

Just curious if you work or if someone is taking care of your bills. My guess is that you are very young and have no clue OR you have money. If the latter, good for you but most people need two incomes just to take care of the themselves and their children. Either way it doesn't mean you love your grandparents more than anyone else. It is a sad and hard situation.

My grandparents were a couple of my best friends and memories. If I had to quit my job to take care of them without money coming in, I would have lost my home (which at the time was only a single wide trailer) and how would I have been able to feed my family? The worst part, my husband and I had what were considered decent jobs, yet we went from paycheck to paycheck.

Love and respect have nothing to do with needing money to survive. Some people need their jobs because they already are housing and feeding their fragile, vulnerable elderly family members. Food, doctor appointments, insurance, medication, etc... all cost money.

Most elderly members end up in subsidized housing once their spouses pass away because they can't afford to stay in their homes (that they worked for all their lives).

My guess is that you are young. Unfortunately, someday you probably will gain experience in this situation. Life is good when its good, but when someone is ill is not, it is hard. It usually happens fast and you have no time to prepare.

That girl was looking for hope and guidance. I hope she ended up with some good advice and many friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

avrille in Maidstone, United Kingdom

66 months ago

how i can find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alourua in Fayetteville, North Carolina

65 months ago

I have been taking care of my husbands grandfather since Feb.2004 and I am trying to find out if gov. or my state would give money to help me out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mbolliver08@aim.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

--- ok I'm someone who has both sets at home and My grandmom has alzheimer's and it's the worst after granddad passed earlier 2 weeks ago. I am unemployeed and you want me like others to not be selfish???? Sweety I hate to break it too but you take a walk in our shoes and then you tell me how the hell I'm gonna find any income to pay for my personal bills while taking care of her. If I were you I'd think about what your saying before you say it. Selfish... give me a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Stockton, California

65 months ago

You know what I'm in the same boat but I have to quite a job to stay home and care care of my grandmother. I have bills that need to be paid like my car payment. If I don't have car then I don't have a way to take her to her dr. appointment. QUIT BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL ABOUT PEOPLES SITUATIONS. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO MAKE ME SICK AND WANT TO THROW UP! SOME PEOPLE KIDS JUST THINK THEY ARE ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Curious in San Antonio, Texas

63 months ago

I know that it sounds bad, but the reality is that if I quit my job to take care of my elderly grandmother then how do I pay my bills and feed my children? If the state is going to pay some strangers to go into my grandmothers house and do personal things for her then I don't feel like it is wrong for them to pay me. She will have someone who loves her and will not abuse her. If I had other means then I wouldn't even consider it, but I can't starve my children either. I am a Disabled Veteran of this country's Air Force and a single mother. Would you suggest that I quit my job and get on welfare and foodstamps as opposed letting my grandmothers insurance insure that she gets the best possible care?

Natalie in Peoria, Illinois

63 months ago

Maybe you should consider what the situastion may be before you "fly off the handle" at someone. It makes you sound horribly insensitive and ignorant. Some people need financial assistance in order to help take care of loved ones. You can only miss work to take care of someone else so many times before it becomes a real financial burden. YOU are the kind of person that makes me SCARED! Scared that I have to associate with the public in my daily life and risk encountering the likes of you.
WHO'S SELFISH AND DISRESPECTFUL NOW?

Keri in Salt Lake City, Utah

62 months ago

Taking care of 1 person is a full time job, taking care of 2 is even harder. Do you really think it is selfish to need an income in order to provide the best care for a loved one? Most people would just put them in a medicare accepted nursing home. They are garbage, especially in Michigan. For them to agree to take care of grandparents themselves and sacrifice all the time and energy needed to do this job is not selfish. Quit being so judgemental.

Sasha in Sunbury, Ohio

62 months ago

Well, it may help to be paid for doing what many of us already do out of love. Especially those of us that do it 24hours a day and can't get other work because of it you judgemental person. I bet you actually think FOX is news too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cashew in Midlothian, Illinois

61 months ago

Jamie Frost in Waterford, Michigan said: Im trying to find out info on how to take care of my grandparents and get paid doing it how ? any ideas

My mother had a stroke and I get paid to take care of her through the state. The agency that helps me is DORS. but, I'm in illinois. Your state may have a similar program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NurseAid in West Chester, Ohio

61 months ago

you are probably the most ignorant person i have ever ever came accross in my life. I hope that you are reading these replies for you. You realy need to check your self, and think about what you say seven times before you let if come out of you mouth. You really are the one who makes everyone else here want to throw up. I don't i need to repeat what everyone had said but i really do pitty you because you will have a though life with this mind set and type of thinking. And if you are reading these posts, you really need to reply to Jamie Frost and apologize. Have a good day !

anr09 in Aurora, Colorado

59 months ago

yea right my grandparents dont work they need an income in the house

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shocked in Hixson, Tennessee

58 months ago

you don't get it some people have to be paid because they have no choice its either care for your elderly nparents or grandparents or get a job. We can't do both. You make me sick because until you know the details shut up!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I Care in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

How cand you take care of your grandparent 24 hrs a day and have no job? How are you supposed to pay your bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Concerned wife and mother in Arkansas City, Kansas

57 months ago

My husband is the one that is disabled and needs at home care. As I have three young children I am not going to A. Put him in a place at his young age to be taken care of by strangers, and B. I am not going to have a stranger come in my home to take care of him. When I was told in December by our family physician that my husband's condition had worsened enough that I needed to quit my job because he was no longer going to be able to take care of our children for longer than it takes me to do the grocery shopping and paying the bills while the children were at home. Therefore I quit my job and now we have no extra income to help pay for bills or anything that our children might need for school, medicine they might need etc. I have been looking for quite some time about the assistance that everyone keeps telling me that is available. I have yet to find it and because of it though not impossible, it is very difficult to take care of a family of five on a limited income that my husband's disability. To the woman who was saying that people in this situation and similar ones are selfish for wanting to get paid for taking care of those they LOVE I just have this to say: Put yourself in my shoes or the shoes of others here who are taking care of parents, grandparents, or perhaps even a spouse. I had a very good job as a nurses assistant when the doctor dropped the bomb on me. Our income dropped significantly, you should try taking care of a family with very little income and having to make sure that your ill loved one has the proper care...It's not as easy as you seem to like to think it is. I will stop my ranting and going on now....think I have it all out of my system.

Candi in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

56 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing patient care assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

okay

April in Santa Cruz, New Mexico

56 months ago

your a damn idiot!!! How the hell can any one be so stupid. You need to get off this forum because you are a real moron!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Betty in Topeka, Kansas

55 months ago

Not everybody got money,most of us work hard,this a heck of a blow
It takes money to pay bills, sometimes you may have to quit a job
In order to take of ,the one you love, so please don't judge them
Most of the care givers ,do it out of love and respect,they are not being selfish,come on. I'm writing this while i'm able to.
These care givers do need help and I can say ,cause you see ,I just found out i have early stages of dementia and I'm only 58 yrs old
Really don't what stage i'm in ,go to the doctor ,Monday
If you must know, I'm scared as heck, not for me,but my husband and my daughter,they will need help, if my husband has to stay home to watch over me,so please don't judge,they could loose not only me,But what we worked together for.
I can say this cause I'm ill, so please don't judge

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

braveboy1961 in Hammond, Indiana

55 months ago

dumb ass i cant work if im there with her so in order for things to be taking care of can i get paid while doing that so i wont have to leave her and i could still take care of my bills. its called life dummy get it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

right in Morganton, North Carolina

55 months ago

doit for love one day they will be gone and the only thing you can say is there gone but i took care of them not out of LOVE BUT FOR THE MONY shame on you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

right in Morganton, North Carolina

55 months ago

do it for love one day they will be gone and the only thing you can say is i took care of them not OUT OF LOVE BUT FOR THE MONEY SHAME SHAME ON YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kna in Noblesville, Indiana

51 months ago

right in Morganton, North Carolina said: do it for love one day they will be gone and the only thing you can say is i took care of them not OUT OF LOVE BUT FOR THE MONEY SHAME SHAME ON YOU

u people that say u should do it out of love and not for money obviously have no clue how hard it is to care for an elderly disabled person.. My gma lives w/me now, and cant walk, feed herself, i have to bath her and cook for her and be with her all the time! I work nights when she's asleep, but people with children in my situation cant work.. so there is absolutely nothing wrong with someone asking for money to care for a family member!!! doesn't mean u dont love them, but some of us aren't rich & we need $$ for food, meds, ect... grow up! get a clue! Know what ur talking about before you judge someone!!!

Holly in Oak Forest, Illinois in Harvey, Illinois

51 months ago

kna in Noblesville, Indiana said: u people that say u should do it out of love and not for money obviously have no clue how hard it is to care for an elderly disabled person.. My gma lives w/me now, and cant walk, feed herself, i have to bath her and cook for her and be with her all the time! I work nights when she's asleep, but people with children in my situation cant work.. so there is absolutely nothing wrong with someone asking for money to care for a family member!!! doesn't mean u dont love them, but some of us aren't rich & we need $$ for food, meds, ect... grow up! get a clue! Know what ur talking about before you judge someone!!!

I had an elderly cousin who lived alone until she became to ill to care for herself. She needed 24 hour care and would need help almost hourly all night long. We promised that we wouldn't move her to a nursing home. Instead we used her money to pay for overnight care and took care of her during the day. It cost over $7,000 per month for rent and overnight care - we took care of her out of love for no pay. The problem was that the care was so intense and difficult that my mom ended up quitting her job and giving up her own health insurance to help my cousin. None of the rest of us could afford to give up jobs. We loved our cousin enough that we would have quit our jobs and taken on the job of caring for her if we could have been paid to do it even though none of us would have chosen direct care as a career choice.

The reason family members try to get paid to take care of family members is precisely because they do love their disabled or elderly family members. Being directly involved allows them to insure their family members are not abused or harmed and are looked after in a loving, caring, thoughtful, safe manner. What better way to insure that type of care than to provide it yourself? Also, it is much cheaper for government of health providers to pay for in home care than nursing home care.

pranvoku@verizon.net in Collingswood, New Jersey

51 months ago

margaret pedregon in Phoenix, Arizona said: i like working with people,that is why i work in a hospital as n/a.

I do like to work with people ,and I like to start in a hospital but I do not know what should i ask for since I do not have any experience ?

Shannon in Columbus, Ohio

51 months ago

Well, I have a teenage son that requires 24-hour care and I an unable to work because I don't have anyone to help me care for him; he has no father and I am on my own. I hear about all these programs that claim to help and pay family members to care for loved ones, but I have yet to find one. I've lost countless jobs and have to stay home with my son and feed, bathe, dress and change diapers, do laundry and lug him around with me everywhere I go and I NEVER get a break. Every once in a while I can get someone to sit with him so I can chill for a minute, but such times are rare. I can't pay my bills or buy food or clothes or gas or anything; I can't even get out of the house for a hour without my son because there is no one to care for him. I need to go to the doctor for myself, but I can't take my son with me. I want to go out and date and have fun, but he needs care and he needs me and so this is my life. And my son is young, 13 years old, and there's no way of knowing how long he will live, but he will always need care. If I have to stay at home and care for him, what is so wrong with being paid for it? I have to eat just like you do and i have bills too. If someone else can come in and care for my child and be paid, why can't I? At least I won't have to worry about my bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Columbus, Ohio

51 months ago

pranvoku@verizon.net in Collingswood, New Jersey said: I do like to work with people ,and I like to start in a hospital but I do not know what should i ask for since I do not have any experience ?

Start out in home health. This will get you the experience without having to pay for it. You start out as a companion, then as you feel confident, move on to more challenging cases in home health, then transition to a nursing home. This is more like a hospital and you will gain valuable experience; there is big money in caring for the elderly. Afterward, you move to the hospital as a patient care assistant or PCA; they pay pretty well, depending on where you live, from $10.00 to $16.00 an hour based on experience and training. Your best bet? A university hospital if possible or a private hospital. You get more experience and they pay more, especially if you work nights.

administrator@hhahelp.com

50 months ago

pranvoku@verizon.net in Collingswood, New Jersey said: I do like to work with people ,and I like to start in a hospital but I do not know what should i ask for since I do not have any experience ?

You can also try being a Home Health Aide. The training is shorter than a CNA and you would only have to take care of one person in their home. Instead of maybe taking care of multiple people in a hospital or nursing home setting.

Stay out of other peoples business in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

I don't know the person who wants to find out how to get paid for taking care of a elderly family member but you shouldn't be rude and ptu somebody down oon the internet that is wrong. You don't know there situation they might need a job and want a family member to get out of a nursing home and that situation just works. Don't be an idiot lady, Have some respect for other people or are you that warped.

sick in the carolinas in Hammond, Indiana

48 months ago

Dont be so quick to judge. I to had to stop working to take care of my parents which was a around the clock job. I dont regret taking care of them for the last thirteen years of their lives, I am proud to have been able to do so but I to become disabled during this time and am now unable to get disability because I didnt work the last quarters before becoming disabled. I have a hard time getting around and breathing now, and have used up most all my savings and now face having to sell the family home and move into a van to live the rest of my life. Some times things are just not fair. I have a year and a half to go before I can get a small Social Security check at age 62 and dont know how I will live off of it.

sick in the carolinas in Hammond, Indiana

48 months ago

Dont be so quick to judge. I to had to stop working to take care of my parents which was a around the clock job. I dont regret taking care of them for the last thirteen years of their lives, I am proud to have been able to do so but I to become disabled during this time and am now unable to get disability because I didnt work the last quarters before becoming disabled. I have a hard time getting around and breathing now, and have used up most all my savings and now face having to sell the family home and move into a van to live the rest of my life. Some times things are just not fair. I have a year and a half to go before I can get a small Social Security check at age 62 and dont know how I will live off of it.

DJH in Toulon, Illinois

47 months ago

Did you ever stop and think maybe this person wanting to TAKE CARE of their grandparents, will either have to choose to work a full time job and not be able to care for them, or work a part time job and still make a living? It's people like you that make me want to PROVE A POINT, stop judging from the outside and assuming you know what's on the inside. People can get paid to care for their loved ones and still love them and have RESPECT for them, caring for a loved one takes more then getting them a glass of water and a pill, it's a FULL TIME JOB! and people have to have an income in order to survive, you suppose this person takes care of their grandparents and has to give up on making a living of their own? I think people that take care of their loved ones PAID OR NOT are treated like crap by onlookers like you!

peacemaker in Brooklyn, New York

47 months ago

how dare you! so closed minded it's hard to care of the ones you love and work to support them too. You obviously don't know anything about taking care of love ones and working and supporting your family too.not because you feel forced to but because your the only one in the family with a heart and who actually loves them. So please don't be rude and assume.

Adriana in San Marcos, California

47 months ago

Do it out of respect and love???....don't be naive...I think is great that this person is willing to take care of them and get paid doing so. I myself have a step-daughter who is disabled and I am on my way to getting certified to be better qualified to take care of care and get paid while doing it. Now, if you have nothing good to say, or helpful, I suggest keep it to yourself.Thanks.

Adriana in San Marcos, California

47 months ago

Do it out of respect and love???....don't be naive...I think is great that this person is willing to take care of them and get paid doing so. I myself have a step-daughter who is disabled and I am on my way to getting certified to be better qualified to take care of care and get paid while doing it. Now, if you have nothing good to say, or helpful, I suggest keep it to yourself.Thanks.

frustrated in Tacoma, Washington

43 months ago

Clearly you must have never been in this type of a situation to warrant your understanding on this matter. I have a grandmother who is terminally ill. She was diagnosed 3 years ago and given months to live. I am so grateful to have her still around and doing as well as she is 3 years later. It is nothing less than a miracle and absolutely remarkable and a true testament to what positivity and a family's love can accomplish. I graduated from college and have been by her side for the past 2 years. I do everything for her. I help her shower, I change her diaper and bandages. I have learned enough to be a nurse and subsequently I believe I have been able to keep her alive. I do this all for free. I am in no way asking for a hand out and have NEVER asked my grandmother for money. This is something that I do out of love and respect. I never take advantage of the fact that every second I spend with her could be my last. I understand this fully yet it doesn't make the fact that I am unemployed any easier on my student loans or other bills. I am a true believer that family should stay with family. I know in my heart if I put my grandmother in an assisted living facility that she would lose the will power to live and give up the fight. This eats away at me every time I try to figure out how I can work to make money to pay my bills when I have to be with her 24 hours a day.Can you tell me how to pay my bills? Seriously, I would love for you to come up with a solution for me because to this point I haven't found one. I feel my grandmothers life is more important but guess what...credit card companies don't care! So please..If you are so smart....tell me how!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

K. Velas in Pompano Beach, Florida

37 months ago

Why is it selfish to want to be able to get paid. Living in this world is free, how do you survive without money??? In most cases the person you are taking care of their money is being used for medical expenses, so what do you suggest that the caregiver does? If all their time is spent taking care of the person how is getting a regular job possible. Stop being a jerk, and look at it from another point of view. You can't take care of your love one full-time and work a full-time 9 to 5, and you can't take care of yourself if you don't have money to do so!

Susan in Kenner, Louisiana

35 months ago

Michele Phillips2008 in Kinder, Louisiana said: This is in response to Heather Hockenberry's comment about "the type of person that makes her want to throw up." I am a 32 year old mother of 2 boys (13 & 10) who lost her mother and only sister in a vehicle accident almost 3 years ago. When I was 15, my mother remarried and we moved 2 hours away from my grandparents...for over 13 years, my grandmother got up on Sunday and cooked lunch and packed it in an ice chest, drove 2 hours and we all had lunch together every Sunday. My mother was an only child, and she was adopted by my grandparents when she was 4 years old. She only had me and my sister, so when they were killed, I became the only one to take care of them. They were able to live alone until 2 months ago when I quit my job as a nurse, pulled my children out of their home and school and moved to take care of them. They are now 87 & 83 and my grandmother has cancer. I am not looking for a gold star, but I took a significant pay cut to make this decision...& it wasn't an easy one. Now, I have no income, my children want to go home and we are not only away from our home, but have combined my family in the same house with them. Now, I will tell you that the reason I am here is out of pure LOVE...they are my heart and just about raised me...they are like my parents. But you will never know how hard these things can be until you have had to do it and how your heart breaks when your kids cry to go home. You will never know how many tears can be shed over a situation like this one. My grandmother now requires help with all activities of daily living and it can be very trying and difficult to be a sole caregiver. You must never have had

I agree, I took care of my great aunt who just recently passed away. Until you have experienced it please be thoughtful of what you say. I commend you

Susan in Kenner, Louisiana

35 months ago

jennet in Montrose, Michigan said: you clearly dont have much of a heart im in a similar situation i have taken time of school to help my grandmother who is not well i love my grandmother very much she is prettymuch the closet thing i have ever had to a parent no one else in the family has the remotest concern for her i provide around the clock care i have moved in with her and take the best care of her i can i take her to the hospital this week shes had to go to er twice for fevers over 103 i take her to the doctors and do all the shopping cleaning cooking i help her dress and go to the bathroom i havent left the house for myself in 3 weeks i love her so much and i dont mind doing this but she wont always be here and at some point she will pass on when she does how will i survive i certainly cant get a job and while im taking online classes right now i hope to one day return back to u of m where i was on the deans list no one in my family will help me do that and now that i am broke with no way of working what would you sugest i do to save up money for that day that will come

My 99 year old aunt just passed and I was her caregiver for 4 and a half years and wouldn't change a thing. Hang in there your doing a great job

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.