Qualifications in being a Personal Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Sarah in Dayton, Ohio

84 months ago

Hello everyone. I have a few questions about being a personal assistant, and hope you all might be able to give me some advice! I am interested in working as a personal assistant, and have found an amazing job opportunity as a personal assistant for a ceo of a real estate investment group. I am really interested in applying, but I'm not sure if it is out of my league or if I'll just look like a fool. I have not worked as a personal assistant before. The job doesn't require previous experience, but it is a plus. I have worked in an office for the past few years. I work directly under the office manager and am responsible for her job when she's out. Other than that I've worked in customer service and sales. I think I do have a lot of the qualities needed for the job, though. I am extremely organized, very good at multi-tasking, time management and working quickly and efficiently. I learn very quickly, have a great memory and have a motivated attitude and a "can't say no" personality. The job requires those types of skills and requires you to be available 24/7. I don't have kids or a family and being "on call" wouldn't be an issue. I really enjoy a challenge and new experiences and think I could do well in this type of position. But, I just don't know if it is out of my league or if my application will just get laughed at. I'm pretty sure I'm going to just give it a go and apply (you can't get hired if you don't apply, right?). But, I was just looking for opinions. Thanks a lot everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Laconia, New Hampshire

84 months ago

From what I've read, it sounds like you'd be great for the job! Formal training (like a bachelor's degree) in business is sometimes recommended. Still, if I were looking for a personal assistant, I'd want those excellent typing and phone skills, positive people skills and organization above all else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

momofgms in Murrieta, California

84 months ago

Sarah in Dayton, Ohio said: Hello everyone. I have a few questions about being a personal assistant, and hope you all might be able to give me some advice! I am interested in working as a personal assistant, and have found an amazing job opportunity as a personal assistant for a ceo of a real estate investment group. I am really interested in applying, but I'm not sure if it is out of my league or if I'll just look like a fool. I have not worked as a personal assistant before. The job doesn't require previous experience, but it is a plus. I have worked in an office for the past few years. I work directly under the office manager and am responsible for her job when she's out. Other than that I've worked in customer service and sales. I think I do have a lot of the qualities needed for the job, though. I am extremely organized, very good at multi-tasking, time management and working quickly and efficiently. I learn very quickly, have a great memory and have a motivated attitude and a "can't say no" personality. The job requires those types of skills and requires you to be available 24/7. I don't have kids or a family and being "on call" wouldn't be an issue. I really enjoy a challenge and new experiences and think I could do well in this type of position. But, I just don't know if it is out of my league or if my application will just get laughed at. I'm pretty sure I'm going to just give it a go and apply (you can't get hired if you don't apply, right?). But, I was just looking for opinions. Thanks a lot everyone!

Sarah,
From what you said, you have some great qualifications. I'm not in the field yet, but on a more personal note, I think you just need to believe in yourself!!! Don't be worried about whether they will "laugh at you" or not. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't get the job. Then all you have to do is look for another opportunity. Get your name out there. I think you should go for it if you already havn't!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Broomall, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

It never hurts to try. I've been an Executive/Personal Assistant for 10 years and it's never easy but it certainly is challenging!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leigh John in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

I say go for it. I have been a personal assistant for years and you have to start somewhere. You have the skills to be a personal assistant, it just depends on what they are looking for.The problem then becomes, are you sure this field is for you, do not be fooled by the glamour.It is a very rewarding job, but very stressful. You will have to know a little about a lot, and be excellent at time management, and getting vendors and places to do what you want. Normally they want experience because you come with that know how, and an arsenal of contacts. The biggest key is that employers who have PA's rarely know what it takes to get things done or the time it takes to complete them. If you are not crafty and you are not able to think ahead and in detailed steps, this is not the position for you. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lungile Ngubeni in South Africa

4 months ago

No sarah I think you should apply for the job of being PA, becouse its your first opportunity and this is your chance to show or prove who you are and what u got. If u missed this opportunity I think you will regret, go ahead u will learn,I know the are going to be mistakes but I guess you will learn from them.Do what is good for you. I also like the PA job, so go for it Sarah and good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mss Mohamed in Johannesburg, South Africa

3 months ago

Hi there I'm sitting here actually wishing I was you, go in there its an opportunity be self don't let anyone in intermediate before the interview take a deep breath exhale and go get them sel your self make them want by sel you're self I don't mean in that way sel your personality and hard working enthusiastic and career driven Google the job discription see what is expected of you. You can do this

3 months ago

Wish I had an opportunity like all i want is and admin job or just any job agency are using i was once told I'm not black enough that hurts I'm up all night job searching I leave home at 5 in the morning looking for something to support my daughter and my 9 year orphan brother ,I apply and a ply but no luck at least you have an opportunity and here its al about who you know and I know no one no contacts at all

3 months ago

If any one in jhb sa is reading my comment i have admin experience and a lot of other experience and want to help me my email is wmohamed24@gmail.com please. I'm honest non racial person good hard worker and really don't deserve this

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.