how can i become a personal assistant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

katie120 in Portland, Oregon

55 months ago

i am still in high school. im 17 years old and i do very well in school. i have always wanted to become a personal assistant but i dont know how to go abouts becoming one... any tips would be great! thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (101) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Bergaan R. in Las Vegas, Nevada

54 months ago

Hello! I getting ready to start my own Personal Assistant Service in 2 more days here in Las Vegas, NV. I allready have 6 clients lined up for March, 2010. I will be getting my business lic on 01-29-10. I don't really know what i'm doing, however I really no how to show my friends a good time when they visit me here in Vegas. I work full time so i will have to do this on part time basses for now. If anyone have any advice for me please let me know. bgrich36@sbcglobal.net. Thanks in advance! BG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ms.Giggles in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

Hey guys
I'm sort of in the same position as Katie.
I'm on my 2nd semester in College. I am 18 yrs old and I want to work as a Personal Assistant. But i have a dilema. It's not really easy to find that kind of job around here if you don't know the right people unfortunetly :( I've looked in the internet but almost everywhere they are looking for people with 2+ yrs of experience. I worked for my aunt as her 2nd personal assistant & secretary back in PR a couple of yrs ago and I was a Monitor in HS here in NY. I also worked for the Board of Elections on Sept 14,2010. But even with the experience i have, I'm not quite sure if that'll help me to get the job. What can i do? :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

bewelltoday@hotmail.com in Opelika, Alabama

41 months ago

katie120 in Portland, Oregon said: i am still in high school. im 17 years old and i do very well in school. i have always wanted to become a personal assistant but i dont know how to go abouts becoming one... any tips would be great! thanks

It really depends on what type of Personal Assistant you are attempting to pursue.

I've been in the "administrative support" field for over 15 years and only the past five has been as a Personal Assistant.

If you are referring to the PA that walks the dog, picks up the dry cleaning and has the car detailed - and taking into account your spelling and grammar, you should have no problem.

Having been a mentor to PA's and aspiring PA's for the past two years, speaking from experience, if you are talking about the kind of PA that handles: scheduling, meetings, travel, business development, finances, insurance (personal/professional), etc.then experience, and much of it, is the only key.

As for household management as a PA - again, unless you are walking the dog and getting the kiddies off the bus, which is a nanny or a housekeeper - you will still need some years of experience under your belt - unless the job is handed to you.

Please understand I am not trying to be discouraging. I am being REALISTIC.

One simple note you should have taken is the annual salary of a PA - one does not graduate begin making as much as a personal, business, or household management PA.

I have been a PA to several very high profile people, having had offices in Albany and Manhattan, having traveled and lived in many locations I can tell you - across the board - you have your work cut out for you. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have that are well thought out, prudent and intelligent. Please narrow the scope of your interest other then "I want to be a PA how do I do it" - be concise and deliberate w/ your questions.

Best regards!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Happyness0811 in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

29 months ago

I too am very interested in becoming a Personal Assistant. I've been a secretary, administrative assistant, clerk; the whole nine yards, and would like to try my had at becoming a Personal Assistant in the entertainment field. Any information you might have would be greatfully appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

AshleeEcstatic in Leominster, Massachusetts

27 months ago

How much would you pay your personal assistant. I am also interested

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie Y in Saint George, Utah

26 months ago

Hi. I went to a community college in Va. for two years, majoring in secretarial science after graduating from high school. I had a job as a secretary for a little while and then I got married. I did home school for a number of years. Then I had to start supporting myself. I've had a few jobs, but nothing for any long period of time. I'm 61 now, but people tell me they would've guessed that I was about 40-45, so I look quite young for my age. I'm hoping someone may have some help for me.

I've been trying to find my niche in the past several years. I feel that I'd be a good assistant/helper for someone, whether it's in the office typing, sending emails, helping with bill-paying, making bank deposits, running errands, and filing or helping out an elderly person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Empress

11 months ago

Hi Leah,

I would really love to talk to you and get some personal advice from you. Please contact me at williere@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Celebrity Assistant in Fremont, California

5 months ago

Here is a really great news article about how to become a personal assistant to celebrities or other VIP families. These folks make over $100,000 a year!

jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/12/09/personal-assistant-jobs/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

personalassistant101 in Washington

1 month ago

I know this post is a bit dated, but just in case this is helpful..... Years of people asking how I got my start as a personal assistant coupled with the fact that I transitioned into recruiting for people seek personal assistants led me to develop a workshop for people who want to become personal assistants. It's called "Personal Assistant 101 (The Prerequisite) and I offer it in different US cities throughout the year. I'll be in NYC on June 26, 2014 and in Chicago, IL on Sept. 9, 2014. It's a two-hour workshop that gives attendees a good idea of what it is really like to be a high-level PA, how to make yourself an attractive candidate for that type of position, and get your questions answered by someone who has done it all and now works for the people who seek awesome PAs. If you're interested in knowing more, don't hesitate to contact me, or visit the Workshops page at www.themeyersuite.com. Sincerely, Elizabeth Meyer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.