What are the best personal trainer qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 77 of 77)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Jay- in New Braunfels, Texas

42 months ago

Snow43 in Destin, Florida said: ...blah blah blah"
I also think the industry itself is at fault with this being an issue to begin with. For example: The industry should be monitored and do away with the non accredited and online certifications. Someone also mentioned an example that we wouldn't want a non PhD to perform surgery on us, well, a Doctor has practical application courses and also a mandatory 2 or 3 year internship and yet the fitness industry and certifying companies allow a trainer to pass a test and be a certified personal trainer ready to manipulate another persons body without ever knowing if this trainer will apply that knowledge correctly. How would the client know anything is wrong? Then all you have to do is take a course or attend a Fitness Conference and earn continuing education units, pay the certifying company and voilà, another two certified years.
I believe it's like everything else in our world and needs improvement. There are unqualified people in all realms, there are people who just don't care about their jobs, or simply lack passion....

I may have read that wrong, but I'm fairly certain you wouldn't allow a General Physician performing any kind of, let's say, open heart surgery on you. The industry is completely watered down due to the fact that anyone can get certified. Hell, if you don't work in a gym all you have to do is say you're a trainer and you are one. And time in service isn't near as impressive as being able to shed knowledge. Once in a blue moon, you'll come across your Louie Simmons types.....I take back...there is only one Louie Simmons. He's the exception and I'm positive, no one posting on this thread is remotely on his level. I digress. Wanna legitimize the industry? Degrees and licences. Done deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Stufflebeam in Ringwood, Oklahoma

42 months ago

Jay- in Castroville, Texas said: Couldn't be more true man. The industry is all kinds of effed up. I like the reference to nature. Talk about it with my clients everyday. Eat & move like an animal, you'll look like one. No matter how sophisticated we get, we're still animals. Pick up a copy of "Lights Out." It's a good read. I don't have the same spiritual beliefs as the author. If you don't either & can look past it, the science (and what seems like common sense to me) if pretty cool.

Who was the author of "Lights Out"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

E Smith in South Jordan, Utah said: I hope you are joking. If anything you should be telling your clients to watch HUMANS who are in good shape and healthy.

Actually; a person trying to better themself and their body should be looking at many things. Contrary to the infomercial revolution; there is no magic pill or magic diet or magic workout plan that is going to work for everyone. First, they need to know where they want to be; their goal. If you have no goal, then you have no way of developing a useful routine and diet. And, yes I say look at nature; especially with diet. We are animals. No, you're not gonna get any insight from studying animals for sports training. Animals don't play football. But, you can look at what foods add fat to their body. You don't see heart attacks and strokes in wildlife very often. Our society is hooked on tons of addictive/ processed foods that's doing nothing but making them fat and lazy.

And, of course look at people that have gotten the results you want. You don't just take one aspect to conquer your goal. You gather any helpful info from wherever it is reliable. But, you can't go into a gym for the first time and start lifting what your goal is lifting. You'll get hurt. Now if you know someone that has gone from where you are to where you wanna be; that MIGHT work. Everybody is different. They have different reactions to workouts and foods.

BTW Why are you such an ass to everyone?? Does that help you win over clients???

42 months ago

Oh yeah, as far as personal trainer certifications. No, a personal trainer shouldn't be working with olympic atheletes, professional atheletes or even college atheletes. That's what College educated Athletic trainers are for. They know how to get that extra edge.
I wouldn't want a personal trainer working with injured atheletes. That's what College educated Rehabilitation Trainers are for.
Personal Trainers are for the average Joe (or Jill). To help them better themself without injuring themself. Yes, you can talk to someone that has the results you want. But, if a trainer got them to where they are; they don't know as much as you think they do. If that were the case; profession atheletes wouldn't need trainers. They've been doing it through high school and college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Kevin Stufflebeam in Ringwood, Oklahoma said: Who was the author of "Lights Out"?

T.S. Wiley and Bent Formby. You can get a used copy on Amazon right now for like 2 bucks and some shipping costs.

42 months ago

Kevin Stufflebeam in Ringwood, Oklahoma said: Actually; a person trying to better themself and their body should be looking at many things. Contrary to the infomercial revolution; there is no magic pill or magic diet or magic workout plan that is going to work for everyone. First, they need to know where they want to be; their goal. If you have no goal, then you have no way of developing a useful routine and diet. And, yes I say look at nature; especially with diet. We are animals. No, you're not gonna get any insight from studying animals for sports training. Animals don't play football. But, you can look at what foods add fat to their body. You don't see heart attacks and strokes in wildlife very often. Our society is hooked on tons of addictive/ processed foods that's doing nothing but making them fat and lazy.

And, of course look at people that have gotten the results you want. You don't just take one aspect to conquer your goal. You gather any helpful info from wherever it is reliable. But, you can't go into a gym for the first time and start lifting what your goal is lifting. You'll get hurt. Now if you know someone that has gone from where you are to where you wanna be; that MIGHT work. Everybody is different. They have different reactions to workouts and foods.

BTW Why are you such an ass to everyone?? Does that help you win over clients???

It's called being shortsighted.

42 months ago

Jay- in New Braunfels, Texas said: T.S. Wiley and Bent Formby. You can get a used copy on Amazon right now for like 2 bucks and some shipping costs.

Yes I looked it up and there was also a wildlife survival guide by the same title. But, I found it. Thanks. Any useful info is always welcomed. I'm not as closed minded as some people on this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Jay- in New Braunfels, Texas said: It's called being shortsighted.

Yes it is. Not to mention close minded. In my experience you have to be open minded. You never know what's gonna happen tomorrow. And like I said before, "THEY" are always telling society what exercises are good and bad this week. As well as, what foods are good and bad for you this week. Our society, in general, is very easily swayed by suggestion. So, as a personal trainer you need to be able to take that information, along with experience, nature, etc and determine weither it has any merit or if their just trying to up the market in a certain area. If you're consistant with your workout and diet and you get consistant results then it works. You might fine tune stuff, but changing it all together because they tell you blueberries are bad for you. That's crazy.

42 months ago

Kevin Stufflebeam in Ringwood, Oklahoma said: Yes it is. Not to mention close minded. In my experience you have to be open minded. You never know what's gonna happen tomorrow. And like I said before, "THEY" are always telling society what exercises are good and bad this week. As well as, what foods are good and bad for you this week. Our society, in general, is very easily swayed by suggestion. So, as a personal trainer you need to be able to take that information, along with experience, nature, etc and determine weither it has any merit or if their just trying to up the market in a certain area. If you're consistant with your workout and diet and you get consistant results then it works. You might fine tune stuff, but changing it all together because they tell you blueberries are bad for you. That's crazy.

Agreed. Those same individuals' workout routine starts every Monday with chest. "Chest day! Every Monday! Chest day! Let's hit it again Wednesday! Gotta get some chest in!" Don't remember the last time they pulled weight from the floor, squatted, did pullups, pistol squats, bear crawls, performed suspension training, hell, even worked chest properly, or did ANYTHING to prevent injury. There's a room full every where I go. Completely clueless.

42 months ago

Jay- in New Braunfels, Texas said: Agreed. Those same individuals' workout routine starts every Monday with chest. "Chest day! Every Monday! Chest day! Let's hit it again Wednesday! Gotta get some chest in!" Don't remember the last time they pulled weight from the floor, squatted, did pullups, pistol squats, bear crawls, performed suspension training, hell, even worked chest properly, or did ANYTHING to prevent injury. There's a room full every where I go. Completely clueless.

Well, a lot of guys think they need a big chest... I think women look nice with one but..... Anyways, I try to even it out.. Work out the whole body + cardio. The routine depends on a persons fitness level and their goals. Cardio warmup. Plyometrics after. Monday, Wednesday, Friday = Chest, Back, Biceps, Calves. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday = Quads, Hams, Shoulders, Triceps. Monday/ tuesday = Light weight (or calasthenics)/ high rep. Wednesday/ Thursday = Medium weight/ medium reps Friday/Saturday = High weight/ Low reps. Sunday rest. But, that's MY routine. My goal is to be fit, build some muscle but no too much, and have endurance. And, I try using that as a base for clients. They might have more rest days and depending on their goals more heavy weight days or light weight days or medium weight days.
Some people want to look big and muscular and don't care if they have any real strength. Some people want strength but don't care if they're big. Some people want endurance. Some people just want to lose their gut. And, they need a diet and workout built on that. I try a lot of different exercises to see how it works, what it works, how it feels, maybe imagine various injuries one might have and how that would feel.
Anyhoo, i'll get off my soapbox....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Redlands, California

42 months ago

The best qualifications to look for in a trainer is experience and body of work.
It is good to have certifications but to have the years in the trenches learning from people with more knowledge will help you create incredible before and afters for your clients.
Thanks
J
www.just4ubootcamp.com/

incrediblecomplexion in Buffalo, New York

39 months ago

All these comments make me laugh. I do NOT have ANY kind of certifications OR degrees in excercise, personal training, or nutrition. YET, im quite confident i could run circles around 99 percent of the personal trainers out there with there "Degrees" and "certifications"...not knocking education, its great and i have a degree.. but these comments are directed at the people saying those not certified or have a degree in the field "undermine" our industry. I have news for you, I have my own health series video going, i run ten miles every other day, i have lost 100 l bs in three years, i am solid muscle, have more energy than i did when i was 18 (i am 45) and i LOOK better than i did when i was 25. I have not had a hint of sickness in 5 years. And i did this ALL MYSELF, through my OWN research, and hard work. NO degree, no certification. So those that say im "unqualified" to TEACH or TRAIN.. lets go to the track and see who wins and looks better. Any day. Any time. Get real people. Certs and degrees are formalities and thats all they ever will be. But again, education is good in general. Just tired of the snobs in this industry and all others who think that because someone doesnt hold a degree they dont know what they are talking about. I guarantee i have more knowledge about nutrition than most PHD's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay in New Braunfels, Texas

39 months ago

incrediblecomplexion in Buffalo, New York said: All these comments make me laugh. I do NOT have ANY kind of certifications OR degrees in excercise, personal training, or nutrition......

That's great and we're all real proud of you guy, but how do you legitimize an industry without setting educational standards for those involved? Would you allow a surgeon to do heart surgery on you because he practiced on a few monkeys and thought he had a pretty good idea about what he was doing? I think not. It doesn't take a genius to understand how to lose weight....it's as simple as burning more than you're taking in. Understanding movement preparation, injury prevention, properly progessing a client into a strength from a stability phase and then(if) a power phase of training, periodization, time under tension, understanding how to recognize over vs underactive muscle groups and the importance of it, being able to diagnose things like anterior pelvic tilt or kyphosis, knowing how to manipulate rep, set, and weight ranges to elicit correct training volume during a session and how that relates to subsequent sessions, understanding myofascial release, stretch reflex mechanisms, and a host of other sh*t that the fitness lay person knows nothing about is a-whole-nother ball game. I'm an advocate of (one day) health insurance helping to alleviate the costs of training for those with clinical issues that need a trainer. Do you think a doctor would ever be willing to prescribe a trainer to a patient just because that trainer lost some weight and said he knew what he was doing? You think Humana would pay for something like that? This is much bigger than it looks. You may run circles around some, but I can promise you, you're light years behind alot of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Priyank Patel in Ahmadabad, India

39 months ago

The Best personal trainer pittsburgh.
If you want to get more information about the personal trainer pittsburgh.
www.burghtrainer.com/
Then I will give you one link just open it and see all the information about the personal trainer pittsburgh.

incrediblecomplexion in Sterling Heights, Michigan

39 months ago

Oh sure Jay, Im light years behind some of you? Catch my health show and you will see..That is why I am 45 , look like im 25, and have more energy and vitality than most 18 year olds and Im quite certain probably more than you too. But thats neither here nor there..You see the ones who are TRULY "Behind" are people like you who have been brainwashed into the masses way of thinking that formal education actually "legitimizes" someone in their field. . Most (though not all) doctors are educated idiots. Had i listened to the "doctors" i would be overmedicated and/or dead by now. Everyone i know seeing a "Doctor" who got their "degree" that "legitimizes" the biz is STILL chronically ill and gettinng worse. And they will stay ill as long as they are under their care. You see, you have to break free from the masses collective way of thinking and think outside the box. Your big words and references only make me laugh and further confirm my suspicions that most people are simply programmed to think a certain way-and that is "formal education legitimizes people"..throw out some big words and suddenly we know what we are talking about! Im still laughing. Formal education, though beneficial in MANY MANY ways, has nothing to do with whether or not someone knows what they are talking about. Only to the sheeple who have been programmed to think so. Catch my health show.. you might learn a thing or two! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in New Braunfels, Texas

39 months ago

incrediblecomplexion in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Oh sure Jay, Im light years behind some of you?

Hahaha! Jillian Michaels has a show to bud. As does Tony Horton and the a$$ hat who created "Insanity." "...and Im quite certain probably more than you too." So, are you quite certain or probably? It's obvious you don't believe in education...but that's neither here nor there. Not to mention, we've never met. You should work on your insecurities too pal. That kind of stress raises cortisol levels. I'm assuming you understand what elevated cortisol does to the human body? And let me be honest...I've learned more in the years since my college graduation than I EVER did during college. Not to mention, it was a hefty bill. But there's just something about those foundations that keep the vets coming back to me asking questions that they should probably know. Oh and by the way, my reference was to a heart surgeon, not a doctor. I'm a very holistic person, so I completely understand that most docs are morons and I don't trust many of them. But again, I'm not allowing my mother to be operated on by a guy who saved a monkey once. It's unfortunate that you've been suckered into this conversation because I have good friends who train and don't have degrees...and they are BEASTS in the industry. Funny thing, they all completely understand my "big words," and use them quite often. That might be because they have absorbed themselves in how the human body functions. Something you obviously haven't taken the time to do. If you're interested I'd like to throw you some names that will help you catch up. Just keep in mind that you'll have to drop that whole "train in your fat burning zone" bullsh!t. I'll catch your show when I'm finished watching Biggest Loser reruns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

incrediblecomplexion in Sterling Heights, Michigan

39 months ago

Stressing? You are making me LAUGH! It feels GREAT! "something you obviously dont take the time to do" Yeah right! Again laughing out loud.. Once again, lost 100 lbs. Run 10 miles every other day. More energy than i did when i was 18. Havent been sick in 5 years..not even a cold. Perfect blood pressure (used to be high when i started) Right. But I havent taken the time to study how the human body functions. I think YOU OVER study! Overcomplicate things. Its not that complicated . Relax. Have a Cup of Chamomile tea while you watch the biggest Loser. Just quit watching the NEWS, will ya? . Not everything they tell you is the truth.

Bijan Omidi in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

Christina in Vienna, West Virginia said: How do I become a personal trainer?
Unfortunately anyone can call him/herself a personal trainer. However, if you want to be well respected within the field you must go to college and/or earn your certification.

Is a degree necessary to become a personal trainer?
No, a degree is not necessary, however, the more educated you are the more integrity you bring to the field. If you do not wish to get a degree in exercise science at the very least take some anatomy, exercise physiology, and nutrition classes at your local college or university. If you would rather complete these types of courses online, do so through a reputable university.

Can I earn a masters degree in exercise science?
Yes. Individuals who have earned a masters in this field have an M.S., M.A., or M.Ed degree.

What is the best personal training certification?
There are many personal training certifications to choose from. Some require that you have a degree in a health related field, others do not. Some exams are rigorous and require months of studying while others can be completed online and are not proctored. (Most exams that are not proctored are a racket and complete waste of money.)

As a GENERAL rule of thumb, there are four certifications widely recognized at gyms and health clubs across the United States:
1. American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
2. National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
3. American Council on Exercise (ACE)
4. National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).

Hope this helps!
Christina
www.fitnessthinktank.com

Thank you so much. It was really helpful and I think I'm looking for (ACE).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

med homas in New York, New York

29 months ago

Certified Personal Trainer Specialist

Duties: Perform and conduct fitness assessments and personal training sessions.

Observing class participants in order to help them improve their skills
Teaching participants how to get the maximum benefit from exercise routines
Planning exercise routines
Developing suitable training programs based on clients' skills, fitness levels and special requirements
Monitoring clients' progress and making adjustments to exercise routines as needed
design and implement individual workout programs
demonstrate and coach clients on the proper use of cardiovascular and strength equipment
promote safe technique and form when weight training
discuss health and fitness goal setting; keep detailed and accurate records of client information
provide regular weekly appointment hours
monitor proper exercise technique throughout the facility

nccanow.com/personal_trainer.html

As a GENERAL rule of thumb, there are five certifications widely recognized at gyms and health clubs across the United States:
2. National Certification Career Association (NCCA)
3. National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
4. American Council on Exercise (ACE)
5. National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).

med homas in New York, New York

29 months ago

retrobeast in San Diego, California said: NASM is over priced and not the best even though they think they are. One of the best is www.pfit.org based in houston.

Developing suitable training programs based on clients' skills, fitness levels and special requirements
Monitoring clients' progress and making adjustments to exercise routines as needed
demonstrate and coach clients on the proper use of cardiovascular and strength equipment
discuss health and fitness goal setting; keep detailed and accurate records of client information

As a GENERAL rule of thumb, there are five certifications widely recognized at gyms and health clubs across the United States:
2. National Certification Career Association (NCCA)
3. National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
4. American Council on Exercise (ACE)
5. National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).

med homas in sche, North Carolina

28 months ago

You can also apply for
National certification career association www.nccanow.com
To be a certified personal trainer specialist and sports and fitness nutrition specialist .
This will boost your ability to train your clients to the best level

med homas in manhattan, New York

28 months ago

personal trainer certification with nutrition knowledge is very important hence get national certified with

National Certification Career Association NCCA
www.nccanow.com

SamiRella in Windermere, Florida

25 months ago

I am a dancer interested in becoming a personal trainer. ISSA offers an associates degree in exercise science with a focus on personal training. Any thoughts on this? I was originally looking at just getting the pt and fitness nutrition certifications until I saw this.

Ryan23 in Hollywood, Florida

21 months ago

@SamiRella The A.S. degree offered by ISSA would definitely give you a more solid foundation of Exercise Science that will help you as a trainer imho. As for earning potential with the A.S. and cert versus the cert alone, that really shouldn't be a determining factor. I know a few PTs making six figures per year without any certification or formal education. I'm in south Florida, so this may be an exception to the norm - most people seem to be drawn in by the appearance and attitude of trainers as opposed to their qualifications.

To answer the OP, I came across www.healthchill.com which explains in detail the top CPT certifications, including exam preparation, cost and accreditation info. There's also some info on the qualifications to become PT www.healthchill.com/fitness-careers/certified-personal-trainer-requirements/. Apparently 25% of personal trainers have a bachelors degree, according to the site.

LiveLifeActive in Indianapolis, Indiana

13 months ago

I recently studied the difference between the different organizations and prices. Here's a good breakdown to make the decision easier. There are also some career ideas at the bottom. Hope this helps!

www.livelifeactive.com/2014/06/04/become-a-personal-trainer/

george in Athens, Greece

10 months ago

what about European Health & Fitness Association: EHFA certification is it worth?

dmcfit in west berlin, New Jersey

2 months ago

Jay- in Castroville, Texas said: hahahaha....i wouldn't trust that! never heard of them and i'm from texas! NASM is expensive, but it'll get u hired!

NASM was the best move I made when obtaining my long term goal of becoming a personal trainer. I got 4 offers within 2 weeks of becoming certified and they all were impressed with the NASM cert. I work at a gym that follows NASM proven training techniques and they get results like no other gyms in the area. Ever since I got certified I have changed the way I train myself using NASM OPT Model and I am in the best overall condition of my life.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.