Getting a pest control technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 127)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

How did you get your start doing pest control technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

jon in Elk Grove, California

89 months ago

kooko

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing pest control technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?
Knew the person spraying our store

go to dept of agriculture, most states require a operaters license and try to get it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Foley, Alabama

78 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing pest control technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Most companies require a high school diploma/G.E.D.
As far as getting started just apply somewere. There isn't anything else that will get you the job besides the will to work, learn, and to please the customer. All pest companies run differently. No 2 are the same. So you really can't learn everything you need to know until you get trained and see for your self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

becinu in Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

Depending on the state, you will probably need to be state licensed to do pest control.A lot of companies will pay for you to take the exam, but might be a added plus to have it already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

snaptrap in Brooklyn, New York

78 months ago

becinu in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Depending on the state, you will probably need to be state licensed to do pest control.A lot of companies will pay for you to take the exam, but might be a added plus to have it already.

im taking my test tuesday does anyone have any core practice exams or test from ny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

jesus vasquez in Palm Springs, California

76 months ago

want a job as an orkin technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

becinu in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

Orkin is probably the worst company to work for, they treat their techs and people like numbers. Best bet are smaller companies, in my experience they are better to work for. Most states require you to be state licensed, some will help you get your license. I have worked for Orkin for 5 and a half years and in the industry for 18 years, good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

alex in Bakersfield, California

74 months ago

Taking applicators test. Looking for anyone with a practice exam or test from ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Becinu in Las Vegas, Nevada

74 months ago

alex in Bakersfield, California said: Taking applicators test. Looking for anyone with a practice exam or test from ca.

The dept. of Ag. will have the study books, but there are 4 exams at least in Vegas they have in case you don't pass the 1st time around

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rick

71 months ago

did you ever get a practice exam.....i need one ....ill be taking the test in 2 weeks...let me know....thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

There are no practice exams. You can buy through the Ag dept study material that include calculations and insect idenity and laws. Some companies have them at their branches

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jerome griffin in Syracuse, New York

70 months ago

need pest control test for syracuse ny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Keller, Texas

70 months ago

I am a pest control tech in Texas. To become a tech all you have to do is graduate from a high school. Apply at a pest control company and they will train you. After being trained you are an apprentice. After 6 months you can take test to become a Tech. I have been doing pest control for 6 plus years now and am wanting to start my own company. To start your own you have to have your tech license and take your CA test. The CA test will be 3 different test which are pest termite and the general.Once you pass these test you will have to apply for a business license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

T Rex in Texarkana, Texas

69 months ago

Rob is partially correct, but there are more than 3 categories, although pest and termite are the main ones for most companies. Also, I think I remember reading something about having to be a licensed Certified Applicator for at least one year before you can apply for a business license, although I could be mistaken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

randy in Erie, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

What if someone in Pa wanted to apply for a pest control training job in Arizona?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rob in Dallas, Texas

69 months ago

You will have to take test to become a tech in every state you work in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Unless the laws have changed in Az. You do not need to get a license for 90 days. The company headquarter I worked for was based in AZ. Contact the dept. of Ag to double check. Good luck

randy in Erie, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Gastonia, North Carolina

66 months ago

I have been in the pest control business for over 25 years. I have owned my company for nearly 14 years. The requirements are different for every state. Some states like North Carolina or Florida are very strict in their requirements. Some like South Carolina are very lenient. But generally, to "break into" the business, you need to get a job with an existing company. After that it depends on your state requirements as far as certification or licensing go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Raymond Jones in culleoka, Tennessee

61 months ago

You may want to try a small local company to get started. These companies usually take someone without experience because people with experience usually move up to bigger companies with better benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Fumigator in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

Trying to pass principal's exam in Nevada for Fumigation? Any recommendations? Please advise... Thanks / The exam is old as mold.

rbrownaz in Queen Creek, Arizona

61 months ago

I have been applying all over the Phoenix area. It seems very difficult to even get interviewed right now. I'm not experienced but am mature and have a good work history. Is this a seasonal lull or is the industry just down right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

rbrownaz in Queen Creek, Arizona said: I have been applying all over the Phoenix area. It seems very difficult to even get interviewed right now. I'm not experienced but am mature and have a good work history. Is this a seasonal lull or is the industry just down right now.

I know here in Vegas, very few companies have been doing little hiring, customer retention due to the economy is down. Hopefully will pick up due to season

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Thanks Greg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Do you have your pest control license yet? That may help

61 months ago

No. I am from the Financial Services and Real Estate industries. I was hoping to get a position before committing to another license.

61 months ago

Here in Nevada all it takes is taking a test at the Ag. Dept. It is a hard test, generally two test of 50 questions. You can genarlly get the study guides at the Ag. Might be different in AZ

Wallace Woodreow in Santa Ana

59 months ago

timesuptermite is one of the largest pest control companies in San Leandro and they are fast expanding into the American market. Training for employees start on the very first day. Technicians go through orientation programmers that thoroughly explain the job scope and what the company expects from them. Then there is training programme on site and in seminar rooms. After basic training, new hires have to follow senior technicians on assignments. Eventually, they will be given advanced training to cover more in-depth topics on pest control. It has monthly Staff General Meetings (SGM). At these SGMs, learning becomes fun as they take on a competition-geared learning style where employees are separated into teams to discuss a certain pest issue and then present it to the rest

jack in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

can anyone help me please on where to take a pest control course to get ready for the test in Brooklyn New York ?

as far as the test , where in new york can i take the test? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pestbgone.com in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

check out bug off in the city and i think alfani in queens

John in Glendale, Arizona

59 months ago

Stay away from HomeTeam!!! They are a very bad company and treat their employees like crap. Also, you work 60 or more hours a week and don't get compensated for it. They are blinded by greed and have a F rating on the BBB. They lie to customers to get sales and the Techs suffer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

North Carolina in Burlington, North Carolina

58 months ago

John in Glendale, Arizona said: Stay away from HomeTeam!!! They are a very bad company and treat their employees like crap. Also, you work 60 or more hours a week and don't get compensated for it. They are blinded by greed and have a F rating on the BBB. They lie to customers to get sales and the Techs suffer.

I work for HomeTeam for going on 3 years now. I believe they are a great company to work for! They care more about their employees than most company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

North Carolina in Burlington, North Carolina said: I work for HomeTeam for going on 3 years now. I believe they are a great company to work for! They care more about their employees than most company.

I have heard mixed reviews of Home team

TnPBall1 in Long Beach, California

51 months ago

You will need an applicator's license in order to apply chemical in California. Most companies are willing to train you and send you to get your license. The best time to call a company and ask if they are willing to train you is April and May because that is the beginning of the busy season. Even if the company is not advertising for help, it doesn't mean they are not hiring. Most techs no this is the best time to get hired, so they call the companies elliminating the need for most companies to advertise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in North Hollywood, California

51 months ago

TnPBall1 in Long Beach, California said: You will need an applicator's license in order to apply chemical in California. Most companies are willing to train you and send you to get your license. The best time to call a company and ask if they are willing to train you is April and May because that is the beginning of the busy season. Even if the company is not advertising for help, it doesn't mean they are not hiring. Most techs no this is the best time to get hired, so they call the companies elliminating the need for most companies to advertise.

My son is taking the Applicator's test this Wednesday. The company he is going to work for said he has a ton of people doing carpentry but needs someone with the Applicator's license and as soon as my son has taken the test he will be hired. The test is 15.00 but he had to have a background check done which was 85.00. My son was arrested 4 years ago and still passed the background check which gives him permission to take the test. He went to the office in Arcadia and got a study guide to help with the test 10.00 and everyone says the test is easy. It is supposedly just common sense questions.

Rob in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

I want to apply for this job in pa but it requires a "basic pest control license". Does anybody have any idea what this is and where I can get study materials/take the licensing test? I have been looking on the internet but cant seem to get a straight answer on what is required. I've never done this work before but would like to try it...Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Rob in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: I want to apply for this job in pa but it requires a "basic pest control license". Does anybody have any idea what this is and where I can get study materials/take the licensing test? I have been looking on the internet but cant seem to get a straight answer on what is required. I've never done this work before but would like to try it...Any help is greatly appreciated.

the best bet is to contact the Dept of Agriculture, if they don't they will know who

Janet in Van Nuys, California

51 months ago

Rob - I don't know about PA but in California my son contacted the Agricultural Department and they provided a study guide and told him how to go about getting his license.

doc in Brooklyn, New York

51 months ago

try pested.com online courses

yawali in Cambria Heights, New York

51 months ago

Can I obtain a pest control license and subsequent employment in New York State if I have prior felony convictions ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Woodland Hills, California

51 months ago

Yawali, you can if you live in California.

51 months ago

Thanks, but I live in N.Y. !

kenny in Flushing, New York

51 months ago

yawali in Cambria Heights, New York said: Thanks, but I live in N.Y. !

do you know any place where i can get some info on pest control. thanks

Rob in Keller, Texas

51 months ago

What do you want to know? I started a pest control business in Texas this year and can ansewer your questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Rob in Keller, Texas said: What do you want to know? I started a pest control business in Texas this year and can ansewer your questions.

Can I obtain a pest control license in NY with prior felonies ?

Rob in Keller, Texas

51 months ago

yawali in Cambria Heights, New York said: Can I obtain a pest control license in NY with prior felonies ?

Here in Texas you can not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eager2stdy in Sun City West, Arizona

51 months ago

i am in az,the current company i work for has had bad money management and appears to be ready to fold. i am in a hurry to get my applicators lic, even though i plan to deal with mice and rats olny is the applicators lic still needed? anyone know of a crash course or sample tests? thank you for any/all info on gaining ground on this matter.

Janet in Woodland Hills, California

51 months ago

Contact your agricultural dept and they should have studie guides

randy in Utica, New York

50 months ago

jerome griffin in Syracuse, New York said: need pest control test for syracuse ny

Are you looking for a pest control technician job or are you already employed?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.