The Truth Is Sometimes Sobering, But Necessary.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

MyCareer in San Diego, California

71 months ago

I just attended a job fair in San Diego, CA and the recruiter told us the Sobering Truth about the Pharmaceutical Company she’s representing. I’m so grateful and enlighten thanks to her.

She said that the Pharmaceuticals Company in the next room is looking for the following:
Business-To-Business (B2B) sales experience with a proven documented track record ranking you at the top. If you have successful Business-To-Consumer (B2C), tough luck you’re just wasting your time. The reason, one must be able to get by the gatekeeper (receptionist) and see doctors who are too busy and don’t even want to see you.

For every job, there are over 1,600 applicants, including laid-off experienced pharmaceuticals professionals. Furthermore, they can afford to be picky and set almost inhumanly high requirements or barriers are what I like to call them.
Four year college degree with a GPA of 3.0 or better. They don’t care if you had a bad day, week or month in college or whether you worked full time and went to school at night while raising a family, blah, blah, blah. Sorry, too bad.

If you changed jobs more the twice within a 5 year period, tough. They don’t care about your circumstances, remember there are 1,600 applicants for every job that they can choose from.

She also said that a lot of us have a romantic view of what a pharmaceutical representative does, only to find out its not what we thought it would be.

There are a few more, but I think you get it.

My point is there is HOPE.

Keep your credit card in your wallet and don’t be suckered by companies and organization claiming they can get your foot in the door. I’ve been told that most Pharmaceuticals companies will train you on their drugs. Also, talk to a few pharmaceuticals reps and see if they are willing to let you spend the day with them. If you still want to move forward, get the B2B experience and network with hiring managers of smaller pharma companies.

Much Success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.