How much does your bag weigh??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Janet4 in Joelton, Tennessee

88 months ago

I've pulled a cart for too long and have permanent nerve damage to my right arm. worker's comp was denied and disability says I'm not eligible for reimbursement because my experience was specific to my employer. They say pharma sales is classified by the gov't's dictionary of occupational titles as "light duty" which means industry-wide, the majority of reps supposedly only "move" up to 10 lbs frequently (2.5hrs-5 hrs per day) and occasionally up to 20lbs. This job description was determined in 1977, I guess before we started handing out clocks and textbooks, and took breakfast, lunch and snack to an office every day, on top of our samples, literature, pens and sticky pads.

Am I crazy or did I really see the rest of you carrying/pulling well over 10lbs every day?? Mine was more like 40lbs when you counted the laptop I brought in.

So, I'm trying to prove that it wasn't just my company, and that it's a change in job description industry-wide. Weigh your bag/cart/laptop, etc. next time you're in an office and please tell me how much all of it weighs. It was always a running joke among reps about how much we schlepped around. Has anyone else faced this? Any suggestions? Someone, please help me verify this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

dangib34 in Morristown, Tennessee

85 months ago

Janet4,
I love your posting it is very interesting, while I cannot help you verify this I am interested in starting a career in pharmaceutical sales. I have a proven sales background, a B.S. in Organizational Management, and graduated with a 3.73 GPA. I am wondering what company you are with and where your territory is located? My e-mail is mabed1@k12tn.net and look forward to hearing from you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jen S in Saddle River, New Jersey

84 months ago

My boyfriend is a sales rep for the pharm. company I work for (I'm in the labs) and his bag is about as much as yours at about 40 lbs. I would contact an attorney. Keep us updated on this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Enlightened in Madison, Virginia

81 months ago

Lunch, sticky pads, pens..hmmm..how does that help a patient again? Maybe you should be like the other pharma reps i know and carry a golf bag instead. Puhlease.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CU Tiger in Florence, South Carolina

72 months ago

joe in jacksonville (who cant spell his name right 2x's in a row) and enlightened moron in virginia, it is so apparent that you both are extremely jealous that you were never able to land it in the pharamaceutical sales industry. maybe it was a lack of education for joe in jacksonville or lack of personality to the enlightened one in virginia; either way...GET OVER IT!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SoBeMeland@gmail.com in Miami Beach, Florida

21 months ago

I also have a nerve problem after 18 years carrying two bags one on each arm,and while pulling a wheeled cart. The computer weighs 10lbs (more with back up battery). I am having the same problem with the insurance company. They have NO CLUE to the weight load we carry. It is at least 40 lbs! How did your case work out? I am supposed to return to work in spite of the nerve damage and my pain. Suffering

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.