BS Pharmacy vs PharmD?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

YuliyaChernov in Tucson, Arizona

66 months ago

I am planning on moving from Arizona to New York. Does anyone knows the salary, benefits and possible sign on bonuses that are available for retail pharmacist positions in New York?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

linda@thepharmteam.com in Beaverton, Oregon

66 months ago

Where in New York are you moving?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joseph Carpenter in Saginaw, Michigan

45 months ago

I Michigan Isee a bias of 4 to 1 in favor of having a Pharm.D. I graduated with a B.S. In Pharmacy and was told Pharm.D. Degrees would never effect jy ability to get a job. That was a dirty lie. A pharmacy degree without clinical,oncological,pedatric,infectious,diaetic cert. in frount of your name and of course the wonderful (will never affect your abillity to get a job)Pharm.D. after your name is next to worthless in Michigan. I am now finding that Pharm Techs are in more demand than an R.Ph. God help us...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jenke in Grand Prairie, Texas

43 months ago

Pharm tech 10-15/hour

Pharmacist 50-60/hour

Why do you think pharm techs are more in demand to the employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ayu in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia

43 months ago

ayu in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia said: am pharmacist i want to be employed in USA

hi enawgaw teka ,this is ayu pls email me on facebook

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

PoorBSPharmacists in Everett, Washington

40 months ago

Joseph is totally correct! I have graduated with BS in Pharmacy and with honors (magna cum laude) and was the top of my class but every place prefers PharmDs! I know that I'm a very knowledgeable pharmacist and did all my internship at in-patient hospital pharmacy and can do a great job at in-patietns hospital setting but they won't even look at my resume because I don't have a PharmD and recenet hospital experience. The unfair thing is when I went to school, PharmD didn't exist yet so it's not like I had a choice. A few years after I've graduated, PharmD programs started. Having always been the top of my class and knowing a lot, now I can't find a job after being laid off from a retail chain trying to save money because I had the least seniority while the lazy pharmacists and techs are still there because they've been there longer and are protected by being union while pharmacists are non-union. It's all really extremely unfair and angers me because I know that I'm one of the best ones out there. Because of that 1 more year of clinical experience, they are called Doctors of Pharmacy while we are called Bachelors of Pharmacy doesn't seem fair either. BSPharmacy is 5 years plus 1500hours of internship which is more like 1 year, 20 hours/wk so should be considered as a master's degree and not a bachelor's degree. They should have never created PharmD to create the discrimination against BS Pharmacists. Had I known that PharmD program was going to start and that it was going to create such grief, I would have chosen med school with my excellent gpa. Life indeed is very unfair!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Anderson, South Carolina

29 months ago

PoorBSPharmacists in Everett, Washington said: Joseph is totally correct! I have graduated with BS in Pharmacy and with honors (magna cum laude) and was the top of my class but every place prefers PharmDs! I know that I'm a very knowledgeable pharmacist and did all my internship at in-patient hospital pharmacy and can do a great job at in-patietns hospital setting but they won't even look at my resume because I don't have a PharmD and recenet hospital experience. The unfair thing is when I went to school, PharmD didn't exist yet so it's not like I had a choice. A few years after I've graduated, PharmD programs started. Having always been the top of my class and knowing a lot, now I can't find a job after being laid off from a retail chain trying to save money because I had the least seniority while the lazy pharmacists and techs are still there because they've been there longer and are protected by being union while pharmacists are non-union. It's all really extremely unfair and angers me because I know that I'm one of the best ones out there. Because of that 1 more year of clinical experience, they are called Doctors of Pharmacy while we are called Bachelors of Pharmacy doesn't seem fair either. BSPharmacy is 5 years plus 1500hours of internship which is more like 1 year, 20 hours/wk so should be considered as a master's degree and not a bachelor's degree. They should have never created PharmD to create the discrimination against BS Pharmacists. Had I known that PharmD program was going to start and that it was going to create such grief, I would have chosen med school with my excellent gpa. Life indeed is very unfair!!!

Well, it is so funny how you become a much better pharmacist with more letters after your name. you still have to count to 5 and use a key board. The difference I see now is instead of doing the program in 5 years it now takes 6 yrs...same credits, same courses, just an extra year for slave labor so the schools get another years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

PharmMom in Enoree, South Carolina

26 months ago

sweetilona in Toledo, Ohio said: You can take online classes to get from BS to PharmD, just consider doing that and you'll be fine.

Yeah, and come up with 40,000 bucks to pay the school :( .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

miphoenix in Detroit, Michigan

23 months ago

sweetilona in Toledo, Ohio said: You can take online classes to get from BS to PharmD, just consider doing that and you'll be fine.

you going to come up with the 40-80k for that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CitizenKane in Garrett, Indiana

23 months ago

Optometry moved to a Doctor of Optometry degree at one point. Guess what? They grandfathered the BS optometrists to Doctor of Optometry.

That was before shrewd MBA administrators turned colleges into a den of money mongering thieves.

Nowadays some people even believe you can get a pharmacy degree online because there are online BS to PharmD upgrades.

BTW, other professions were at the 6 year level for their degrees including optometry, podiatry, and dentistry (2+4). Then competition forced everyone to get a bachelors degree before professional school.

MD's are the most overstuffed shirts of all. You don't need that degree to do 80% of medicine. That is why nurses kicked their ass with NP prescribing privileges. I brought this up because pharmacists are attacked as over-educated pill counters. We are, but this principle is true of all professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

md in Chicago, Illinois

18 months ago

I also graduated with a BS. I moved into an MSL position from trad. dispensing in 2002 and then went into another for 9 years, then another for 4 months (both lay-offs). During the lay- offs, I did some research (2012): Approx 63-65% of companies REQUIRE PharmD or advanced degree to be MSL. i could have done equivalent of residencies with the top KOL's in the WORLD and they would not care!! Others are ok with BS and experience, obviously and GSK hires nurses sometimes for MSL-the number requiring PharmD has gone up, which for an MSL job is ridiculous because they want strong experience as well and many with the strong experience weren't in school when PharmD became mandatory. (Illinois). I have 7 preceptorships at places like Stanford, Northwestern, U of Chicago, etc along with years of attending clinic/rounds on regular basis with KOL's and reserchers-way more than you'd ever get with the extra year to get the PharmD degree but that is the way of the world now. If anyone cares, Merck also didn't require and many smaller companies will take you as well with the BS and experience-funny, but I'm used to hearing "we would love to take you...but we can't accept you without the PharmD... No matter, if you really want it, you can get it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carlofeliz in Arequipa, Peru

16 months ago

How can a Nachelor of Pharmacy become PharmD, And, a Bachelor of Pharmacy can be in Nabp to get the licence to manage a drugstore? I guess drugstores need registered pharmacist, can be them Bachelors?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DJMaloneyRPh in Quincy, Massachusetts

4 months ago

Joseph Carpenter in Saginaw, Michigan said: I Michigan Isee a bias of 4 to 1 in favor of having a Pharm.D. I graduated with a B.S. In Pharmacy and was told Pharm.D. Degrees would never effect jy ability to get a job. That was a dirty lie. A pharmacy degree without clinical,oncological,pedatric,infectious,diaetic cert. in frount of your name and of course the wonderful (will never affect your abillity to get a job)Pharm.D. after your name is next to worthless in Michigan. I am now finding that Pharm Techs are in more demand than an R.Ph. God help us...

I am in the same boat. Been looking for a job and not having that extra year of school is really hurting me even though i have tons of experience. would finish up my pharmd but need to be working to get into the program but can't get a job cause i don't have my pharmd. gotta love catch 22s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

oularkin@att.net in Knoxville, Tennessee

3 months ago

Requiring a 70 year old to have PharmD is age discrimination. How do we sue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.