BS Pharmacy vs PharmD?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

PoorBSPharmacists in Everett, Washington

49 months ago

Joseph is totally correct! I have graduated with BS in Pharmacy and with honors (magna cum laude) and was the top of my class but every place prefers PharmDs! I know that I'm a very knowledgeable pharmacist and did all my internship at in-patient hospital pharmacy and can do a great job at in-patietns hospital setting but they won't even look at my resume because I don't have a PharmD and recenet hospital experience. The unfair thing is when I went to school, PharmD didn't exist yet so it's not like I had a choice. A few years after I've graduated, PharmD programs started. Having always been the top of my class and knowing a lot, now I can't find a job after being laid off from a retail chain trying to save money because I had the least seniority while the lazy pharmacists and techs are still there because they've been there longer and are protected by being union while pharmacists are non-union. It's all really extremely unfair and angers me because I know that I'm one of the best ones out there. Because of that 1 more year of clinical experience, they are called Doctors of Pharmacy while we are called Bachelors of Pharmacy doesn't seem fair either. BSPharmacy is 5 years plus 1500hours of internship which is more like 1 year, 20 hours/wk so should be considered as a master's degree and not a bachelor's degree. They should have never created PharmD to create the discrimination against BS Pharmacists. Had I known that PharmD program was going to start and that it was going to create such grief, I would have chosen med school with my excellent gpa. Life indeed is very unfair!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Anderson, South Carolina

39 months ago

PoorBSPharmacists in Everett, Washington said: Joseph is totally correct! I have graduated with BS in Pharmacy and with honors (magna cum laude) and was the top of my class but every place prefers PharmDs! I know that I'm a very knowledgeable pharmacist and did all my internship at in-patient hospital pharmacy and can do a great job at in-patietns hospital setting but they won't even look at my resume because I don't have a PharmD and recenet hospital experience. The unfair thing is when I went to school, PharmD didn't exist yet so it's not like I had a choice. A few years after I've graduated, PharmD programs started. Having always been the top of my class and knowing a lot, now I can't find a job after being laid off from a retail chain trying to save money because I had the least seniority while the lazy pharmacists and techs are still there because they've been there longer and are protected by being union while pharmacists are non-union. It's all really extremely unfair and angers me because I know that I'm one of the best ones out there. Because of that 1 more year of clinical experience, they are called Doctors of Pharmacy while we are called Bachelors of Pharmacy doesn't seem fair either. BSPharmacy is 5 years plus 1500hours of internship which is more like 1 year, 20 hours/wk so should be considered as a master's degree and not a bachelor's degree. They should have never created PharmD to create the discrimination against BS Pharmacists. Had I known that PharmD program was going to start and that it was going to create such grief, I would have chosen med school with my excellent gpa. Life indeed is very unfair!!!

Well, it is so funny how you become a much better pharmacist with more letters after your name. you still have to count to 5 and use a key board. The difference I see now is instead of doing the program in 5 years it now takes 6 yrs...same credits, same courses, just an extra year for slave labor so the schools get another years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

CitizenKane in Garrett, Indiana

32 months ago

Optometry moved to a Doctor of Optometry degree at one point. Guess what? They grandfathered the BS optometrists to Doctor of Optometry.

That was before shrewd MBA administrators turned colleges into a den of money mongering thieves.

Nowadays some people even believe you can get a pharmacy degree online because there are online BS to PharmD upgrades.

BTW, other professions were at the 6 year level for their degrees including optometry, podiatry, and dentistry (2+4). Then competition forced everyone to get a bachelors degree before professional school.

MD's are the most overstuffed shirts of all. You don't need that degree to do 80% of medicine. That is why nurses kicked their ass with NP prescribing privileges. I brought this up because pharmacists are attacked as over-educated pill counters. We are, but this principle is true of all professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Celeste B.S. Rph can't find a job in Plano, Texas

1 month ago

So does anyone know how long and/or how many hours of additional schooling does it take to obtain the Pharm. D?
I graduated 2 yrs before the Pharm D was even an option. Now I'm not very marketable, especially since I've only worked Retail the last 17 years.
Thank You :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ali in Fort Worth, Texas

29 days ago

You can get your Doctoral degree online, if you search google you can find some universities which have transition program in Pharmacy but you must have License to practice Pharmacy to be eligible for transition program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Celeste B.S. Rph in Plano, Texas

29 days ago

Ali in Fort Worth, Texas said: You can get your Doctoral degree online, if you search google you can find some universities which have transition program in Pharmacy but you must have License .
to practice Pharmacy to be eligible for transition program.

Thank You Kindly. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.