BS Pharmacy vs PharmD?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

PoorBSPharmacists in Everett, Washington

46 months ago

Joseph is totally correct! I have graduated with BS in Pharmacy and with honors (magna cum laude) and was the top of my class but every place prefers PharmDs! I know that I'm a very knowledgeable pharmacist and did all my internship at in-patient hospital pharmacy and can do a great job at in-patietns hospital setting but they won't even look at my resume because I don't have a PharmD and recenet hospital experience. The unfair thing is when I went to school, PharmD didn't exist yet so it's not like I had a choice. A few years after I've graduated, PharmD programs started. Having always been the top of my class and knowing a lot, now I can't find a job after being laid off from a retail chain trying to save money because I had the least seniority while the lazy pharmacists and techs are still there because they've been there longer and are protected by being union while pharmacists are non-union. It's all really extremely unfair and angers me because I know that I'm one of the best ones out there. Because of that 1 more year of clinical experience, they are called Doctors of Pharmacy while we are called Bachelors of Pharmacy doesn't seem fair either. BSPharmacy is 5 years plus 1500hours of internship which is more like 1 year, 20 hours/wk so should be considered as a master's degree and not a bachelor's degree. They should have never created PharmD to create the discrimination against BS Pharmacists. Had I known that PharmD program was going to start and that it was going to create such grief, I would have chosen med school with my excellent gpa. Life indeed is very unfair!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Anderson, South Carolina

36 months ago

PoorBSPharmacists in Everett, Washington said: Joseph is totally correct! I have graduated with BS in Pharmacy and with honors (magna cum laude) and was the top of my class but every place prefers PharmDs! I know that I'm a very knowledgeable pharmacist and did all my internship at in-patient hospital pharmacy and can do a great job at in-patietns hospital setting but they won't even look at my resume because I don't have a PharmD and recenet hospital experience. The unfair thing is when I went to school, PharmD didn't exist yet so it's not like I had a choice. A few years after I've graduated, PharmD programs started. Having always been the top of my class and knowing a lot, now I can't find a job after being laid off from a retail chain trying to save money because I had the least seniority while the lazy pharmacists and techs are still there because they've been there longer and are protected by being union while pharmacists are non-union. It's all really extremely unfair and angers me because I know that I'm one of the best ones out there. Because of that 1 more year of clinical experience, they are called Doctors of Pharmacy while we are called Bachelors of Pharmacy doesn't seem fair either. BSPharmacy is 5 years plus 1500hours of internship which is more like 1 year, 20 hours/wk so should be considered as a master's degree and not a bachelor's degree. They should have never created PharmD to create the discrimination against BS Pharmacists. Had I known that PharmD program was going to start and that it was going to create such grief, I would have chosen med school with my excellent gpa. Life indeed is very unfair!!!

Well, it is so funny how you become a much better pharmacist with more letters after your name. you still have to count to 5 and use a key board. The difference I see now is instead of doing the program in 5 years it now takes 6 yrs...same credits, same courses, just an extra year for slave labor so the schools get another years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

CitizenKane in Garrett, Indiana

29 months ago

Optometry moved to a Doctor of Optometry degree at one point. Guess what? They grandfathered the BS optometrists to Doctor of Optometry.

That was before shrewd MBA administrators turned colleges into a den of money mongering thieves.

Nowadays some people even believe you can get a pharmacy degree online because there are online BS to PharmD upgrades.

BTW, other professions were at the 6 year level for their degrees including optometry, podiatry, and dentistry (2+4). Then competition forced everyone to get a bachelors degree before professional school.

MD's are the most overstuffed shirts of all. You don't need that degree to do 80% of medicine. That is why nurses kicked their ass with NP prescribing privileges. I brought this up because pharmacists are attacked as over-educated pill counters. We are, but this principle is true of all professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.