Don't become a Pharmacist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 385)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

MsKappaK in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

You are a slave to the owners. You will do whatever they decide they want you to do to make them more money (give immunizations, work with insufficient support staff). Anything the customer says against you, you will pay for. It does not matter if the customer is lying. If the customer complains, you will be reprimanded. It pays well, but you get no respect- from the customers nor from the corporation. It is so bad that I have been looking for a $10-$15 per hour data-entry job with insurance benefits where I just type all day and everyone basically leaves me the f--- alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (338) / No (135) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Reno, Nevada

48 months ago

Hi Arthur,

I am an older student considering Pharm school as well as other fields. Your comments really got my attention. Can we talk about this? I need to make the right decision and your advice would be appreciated.

Arthur in Cincinnati, Ohio said: You are correct that the BLS states that there will be job openings for pharmacists. What the BLS doesn't tell you is HOW MANY PEOPLE tbere will be COMPETING for those jobs. When BLS says there's 30,000 jobs, that means there are 30,000 jobs in the US, regardless of how many are already filled. Sure, there'll be an increase in the number of jobs, but there's gonna be a MASSIVE increase in the number of PharmDs competing for those jobs. It's because of all the new schools opening, and the old ones increasing their class sizes - there are just too many pharmacists in the USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

AK in Boston, Massachusetts

47 months ago

I should never have gone into pharmacy. I came from Ontario Canada to the USA for pharmacy school. I am a year grom graduation. First of all, the school kills you, I am so worn out. In Ontario the government introduced pharmacy reforms that decreased funding to pharmacies. As a result, there are NO jobs available in Ontario. My friend who graduated in May 2010 still does not have a job. Pay used to be around 95,000/ yr for an ontario pharmacist, but thanks to reforms it is currently down to 70,000/yr and decreasing. The chain drug stores own you, and are becoming all the more demanding now that their pharmacy funding has been cut, and they cut tech hours like crazy. In the USA, the pay is significantly better, but people still are having problems finding jobs. Not to mention that as a pharmacist you will have to work nights and weekends on a regular basis. The Chains in the USA own your ass even more than in Canada, they are evil, they treat you like a robot or a slave, not a professional. Trust me, don't be a pharmacist, it sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (148) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

HaHa in Lake Stevens, Washington

46 months ago

I would like to give you guys a heads up from a pharmacy tech perspective. MsKappaK & for the most part everyone else is right. The retail side of pharmacy will absolutely rape you to get a bottom line i.e. overwork, understaff, cheat, etc. But I am astonished that this is any surprise. ANYONE that has worked in retail realizes this but since the pharmacist is the only one making any kind of a decent living wage you all need to STFU. Its not anyone else's fault you didn't do any background checking or heaven forbid ask your local pharmacist what kind of job they have.

I've worked plenty of days where the pharmacist is crying in the back on their breaks. Doesn't make my job any easier & honestly as great of people as some of them are when asked I advise they be let go because they are unqualified for the job & most of the time I would be doing them a favor. As a RETAIL PHARMACIST I feel like in addition to some of your schooling you should also have EXPERIENCE IN RETAIL (I know crazy right?). That means STRONG customer service skills and a substantial amount of SUPERVISING or MANAGEMENT experience because that is what you will be doing.

For those looking for a job & new graduates the best thing I can tell you is to contact the DISTRICT MANAGER and submit your resume to them. Start building your network in school & during your extern ships. (Their is a $4k bounty on most of your heads for a hired referral most of the people on the inside wouldn't mind cashing in on) Most hired pharmacist at my company are referred by an existing employee or former employee we almost don't even need to take applications. Expect to hate this job if you have never worked retail, under pressure, suck... but remember that you are being fairly compensated compared to the number of people working beside you (its not unheard of and almost the norm for technicians to start at minimum wage & all the pressures on the pharmacist are usually passed off to the techs).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

46 months ago

The pharmacist at my local chain drug store started working there about 6 months ago. She's young and looked fresh out of college. She started out smiling, wearing makeup, straightening her hair and looking really nice when she came into work. Over the course of a few months, all of that changed. Now, she goes into work looking frazzled with fluffy hair, no makeup and a sour look on her face. I can tell she's angry every time she answers the drive thru, and I think it's because of the reality of what her job is actually going to be like for the rest of her life. She's probably stuck now because of large student loans and all of the time she invested in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (160) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

itsAllGood in Quincy, Massachusetts

46 months ago

AK in Boston, Massachusetts said: I should never have gone into pharmacy. I came from Ontario Canada to the USA for pharmacy school. I am a year grom graduation. First of all, the school kills you, I am so worn out. In Ontario the government introduced pharmacy reforms that decreased funding to pharmacies. As a result, there are NO jobs available in Ontario. My friend who graduated in May 2010 still does not have a job. Pay used to be around 95,000/ yr for an ontario pharmacist, but thanks to reforms it is currently down to 70,000/yr and decreasing. The chain drug stores own you, and are becoming all the more demanding now that their pharmacy funding has been cut, and they cut tech hours like crazy. In the USA, the pay is significantly better, but people still are having problems finding jobs. Not to mention that as a pharmacist you will have to work nights and weekends on a regular basis. The Chains in the USA own your ass even more than in Canada, they are evil, they treat you like a robot or a slave, not a professional. Trust me, don't be a pharmacist, it sucks.

AK, the profession of pharmacy is undergoing a paradigm shift in Ontario. While it is true that the government slashed professional allowance fees and cut the costs of generic medications (thereby decreasing profitability, since the markup is fixed), it is also true that they've introduced and expanded programs like MedsCheck that set the foundation for pharmacists to get paid for their cognitive skills and use their education rather than count by 5's and fill 300 rx a day. The retail market is transformed as automation, and pharmacy technicians will takeover the role of medication dispensing.
www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/758423--more-drug-dispensing-kiosks-on-the-way

Exciting times are ahead

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

jk in Burlington, Ontario

46 months ago

I am a canadian pharmacist in ontario, foreign-trained, 49 yo. Now I am in the process of getting US licensure and thinking about relocating in MI as my daughter(US citizen) is studying in Michigan, for tuition and medical school admission purpose. In order to be reclassified as an in-state student, I probably have to secure a job there before coming July. Even though the pharmacy market in ontario is shrinking due to the recent gov't budget cut, I am quite satisfied with my current position. So I am not sure whether benefits of relocating now would be greater than risks. Please share your opinion. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Murphy PharmD in Frisco, Texas

45 months ago

Just graduated, work at LTC (long term care) facilty, love my job. I start at 106K a year.

There are jobs out there, you just have to do your research. I am in the highest tax bracket and I just graduated.....not many degrees can say that.

More schools will open and there will be tons of students that will be applying because of the 100K+/year salary...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

mapuche in Studio City, California

45 months ago

tahoebreeze in Reno, Nevada said: Because of this forum...I've decided NOT to go into pharmacy.

Good for you...I mean it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

JohnDoe in Angola, New York

45 months ago

Hello all,
I was accepted to a 10 ten pharmacy school and started my P1 year in the Fall. I left because of the saturation and where I think the profession is going. Let me just throw some numbers out there, and let you all make your own decisions.
Year:
2000 -82 pharmacy schools
2005-92 pharmacy schools
2010-130 pharmacy schools

15 new schools are planning to open within the next 3 years.......Thank you to the diploma mills for destroying a great profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Sorry for the typo. I am on my phone and didnt catch it.....I meant to say I was accepted to a top 10 pharmacy school...........People can say things like, "People will be retiring, health care plan will add millions more on scripts, etc. etc." Fact of the matter is that doesn't matter. Saturation has already reached its tipping point in alot of areas, and will be much much worse in 4 years from now. Not only have new pharmacy schools been popping up on every corner, but older traditional schools have been increasing their class sizes. These schools are causing irreparable damage, and the number of new grads each year will GREATLY surpass the number of retiring pharmacists/open positions. Its simple supply and demand. Pharmacy is not immune to this rule. Trust me people, I love this profession and this is the last thing I wanted to see happen. It was a very difficult decision to make by stepping out of a program that I worked so hard to get into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Truong in Westminster, California

45 months ago

Hi John, are you serious? You dropped out of a Pharm D. Program while many of us (Asian) is looking or working our ass off to get accepted in one of those school. In my case, i was accepted in Hawaii College of Pharm (HCP) back in 2004 and i REJECTED an interview (a potential acceptance) with South University (at that time they were unaccredited, Dr. Jacqueline called me), i did it because i had a lot of my friends were going to HCP. Anyway, I didn't go (couldn't make the $28,000 cash loan no cosigner, thanks GOD!!! ) and HCP closed after one year. I only got $237 out of $1000 of my seat deposit back. Meanwhile my girlfriend has gone to MCP in boston for one year already. Right now, she is making good money (at least $56 and up /hr)but she tells me that she has to put up with a lot of customers yelling and doctors ' rudeness . As for me, I'm currently retaking all my science courses since they are more than 6 years old so I can to Pharmacy another try (i'm 30). But after reading all these post, i have to reconsider my decision to give it a second trial. Lately she has been working OT while i can even land my RT job for 7 months now. Are you sure your info is correct???

JohnDoe in Angola, New York said: Hello all,
I was accepted to a 10 ten pharmacy school and started my P1 year in the Fall. I left because of the saturation and where I think the profession is going. Let me just throw some numbers out there, and let you all make your own decisions.
Year:
2000 -82 pharmacy schools
2005-92 pharmacy schools
2010-130 pharmacy schools

15 new schools are planning to open within the next 3 years.......Thank you to the diploma mills for destroying a great profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JohnDoe in Buffalo, New York

45 months ago

Hey Truong,
Trust me I know the asian population is highly interested in PharmD. I went on interviews all over the country, and I must say approximately 60-70% of the applicants were asian. I have no problem with it, but I just couldn't help but notice the trend. My information is absolutely correct. I have a number of friends still in pharmacy school and pharmacists. 3 years ago we all heard of the pharmacy shortage, my friends were getting bmw leases, sign on bonuses, etc. Now, I feel like everyone and their mother is going for pharmacy, but they don't do any research into the field. If you go to the BLS labor website, they still predict the pharmacy is growing at an amazing rate, WHICH IT IS NOT. They DO NOT take into account all of the new schools that have/are opening. Can you still sign on somewhere with a bonus. Probably, but these jobs are outliers. I have personally watched a DRAMATIC change in the supply/demand ratio for pharmacists, and can't even imagine how bad it will be in 4 years from now. I work in retail and a hospital right now. I was in my Director of Pharmacy's office yesterday, and he showed me a stack (probably 30) applications for positions, and we aren't even hiring. I don't even live in a desirable area, and retail and hospital is completely saturated. This all will inturn affect the salaries, benefits etc. Most new grads I know who have been fortunate enough to find jobs are floating and receive no benefits. Do I think I could find a job 4 years from now? Maybe, but I'm looking into the long term, and the damage and is/will be done by all of these new schools will be the downfall to our profession. I have TONS of research and personal info about all this. I'm not trying to personally dissuade anyone from this profession, but I also want people to know the facts, so they don't graduate with $100K+ debt, and have no means of paying that off, let alone working in a position they have worked so hard in school to get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RPh in Rockford, Illinois

45 months ago

"empathize" sorry type-ahead error

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

johndoe in Buffalo, New York

45 months ago

RPH....I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, with all of the media on pharmacy over the past 5 years has been "$100K+ salary, great hours, etc. etc. " It has attracted so many applicants that are interested in nothing more than the salary. I work with current grads that show NO interest in the field, and it's so obvious they are only working to make a buck...I'm sure these people are in every profession, but I've noticed it now,more than ever, with new grad pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dindo in Quezon City, Philippines

44 months ago

AK in Boston, Massachusetts said: I should never have gone into pharmacy. I came from Ontario Canada to the USA for pharmacy school. I am a year grom graduation. First of all, the school kills you, I am so worn out. In Ontario the government introduced pharmacy reforms that decreased funding to pharmacies. As a result, there are NO jobs available in Ontario. My friend who graduated in May 2010 still does not have a job. Pay used to be around 95,000/ yr for an ontario pharmacist, but thanks to reforms it is currently down to 70,000/yr and decreasing. The chain drug stores own you, and are becoming all the more demanding now that their pharmacy funding has been cut, and they cut tech hours like crazy. In the USA, the pay is significantly better, but people still are having problems finding jobs. Not to mention that as a pharmacist you will have to work nights and weekends on a regular basis. The Chains in the USA own your ass even more than in Canada, they are evil, they treat you like a robot or a slave, not a professional. Trust me, don't be a pharmacist, it sucks.

AK, can you give us update on how' your pharmacist friend doing in Ontario already? Is it really that bad now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dindo in Quezon City, Philippines

44 months ago

jk in Burlington, Ontario said: I am a canadian pharmacist in ontario, foreign-trained, 49 yo. Now I am in the process of getting US licensure and thinking about relocating in MI as my daughter(US citizen) is studying in Michigan, for tuition and medical school admission purpose. In order to be reclassified as an in-state student, I probably have to secure a job there before coming July. Even though the pharmacy market in ontario is shrinking due to the recent gov't budget cut, I am quite satisfied with my current position. So I am not sure whether benefits of relocating now would be greater than risks. Please share your opinion. Thanks!!

Hi JK,

So what do you think of working in Canada ,as a pharmacist ,,particularly Ontario right now? you said you are foreign trained, my daughter is an IPG student and she'll finish it this winter. Hopefully she could have studentship after CPS and MCQ and OSCE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alltheway in Socal, California

44 months ago

California does not have 8-10 pharmacy schools. Where do you get your facts. We have 4 maybe there is a 5th one I can't think of. And the hospital I'm at is a training hospital and the interns get a great experience learning hands on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

desetbreeze in Reno, Nevada

44 months ago

Who the hell wants to live in Bakersfield!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Murphy PharmD in Frisco, Texas

44 months ago

No other field other than a MD/DO can guarantee a 6 figure contract like pharmacy upon graduation.

A friend of mine got into a pharmacy school in California...2000 applicants only 150 slots...this is the trend, more schools will open, plenty of interest, because of the 100K+ starting salary...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Frank

44 months ago

True I think you can start at 100k with denistry too, I see your point, more schools will open bc of the 100k+ salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JAY in Hollywood, Florida

44 months ago

Mz Lady in New Jersey said: How is the pharmacy field in Florida... I'm still trying to figure out if I want to become a dentist, dental hygienist or a pharmacist.. I dont want to waste years of schooling and not be able to find a job. Help please
MARKET IS FLOODED!!!!!!!

Pharmacy sucks!!!! i'm 50 years old and considering going back to school TO be a dentist!!! some orthodontist can make 1 million a year or an maybe I should go to medical school...those shady pain management dr.s are getting rich pushing oxycodone in broward...sorry I'm JUST PISSED BECAUSE PHARMACY IS'NT WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Jay,

Keep us posted on the dentist thing. I have always been interested in dentistry. Very cool profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in absecon, New Jersey

44 months ago

Wait a job is a job yes we are professionals but pharmacy has changed and we dont have the choices like we did before.I would moved anywhere to get a job especially since every job has a least 100 people applying for it.I understand how my fellow pharmacist feel but times have changed and it doesnt seem like for the better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rxcc in Santa Monica, California

44 months ago

100k is not alot of money to live on. It is far from being "rich," in this time and age. So people should seriously think about WHY they are choosing pharmacy. And PharmD program is very rigorous and demanding. People talk as if everyone can easily get into the school. Considering all the years of education, internship, residency and experience it takes to make it a rewarding career, 100k-130k just does not cut it. And have i mentioned it may not even be rewarding after all that! Save your time and brain power ( not to mention money), and choose what you will truly enjoy doing. I chose pharmacy for its " stability" as a career 20yrs ago and for "regular" working hours, but what a nightmare it has become with not enough jobs and employers hiring the bare minimum to meet legal requirements and dumping all the professional responsibility on pharmacist's shoulders. What a joke! It's just not worth it. I kick myself for not going with what I would have enjoyed doing. Now it is too late to throw away all that preparation eduction and 2 decades of solid experience. There is one hope though if you've already chose pharmacy. If you end up at a job with some terrific people working around you it can be a positive experience. I actually had such luck on my side over the years which is why I managed to stay sane. But if you have not made up your mind, do yourself a favor and be true to yourself and do what you LIKE AND ENJOY. Don't let the money part skew your judgment. It's not that money anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Rxcc in Santa Monica, California

44 months ago

.. Correction: it's not that much money anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kika789 in Tampa, Florida

44 months ago

Pharmacist will be more recognized, Practicing a more clinical based consults, Rounds in hospital, Specialty areas and Jobs...Techs Will be more recognized also doing all the verifiying and checking not to mention more money for us as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Pharmacist salary $100,000+

Being part of the code blue team that help resucitate "Dad" and getting the see the family reunite....

Seeing the patients culture results and realizing the Dr. is using the wrong abx. making the appropriate recommendation and seeing the patient get better.....

Saving a patient from a possible 10x overdose because the MD wrote/entered the wrong dose.....

Doing a diabetic teaching for a young mom's child who was diagnosed with diabetes and assuring her this disease is manageable and they can do this....

Helping a new nursing graduate understand how heparin is dosed, how to set the pumps and to never be afraid or embarrassed to ask a pharmacist for help because that's why were there...

Being a preceptor to a P1 student and helping them with a difficult case study and finally "getting it".....

ALL PRICELESS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I forgot who said "where do I get my information from, that california does not have 8-10 pharmacy schools"...I dont have alot of time to come on here and CORRECT everyone constantly. Does anyone know what Pharmcas is? Its the centralized site where pharmacy students have to apply to pharmacy school. 90%+ schools participate in this system. So, some schools are not accounted for because they dont use it yet. Anyways, go to this link, it shows 8 pharmacy schools in CA, (LIKE I SAID), and I believe there are a couple more that arent using Pharmcas, which put it at 10. I'm part of a pharmacy board, and I'm certain 2-3 more CA schools are trying to open currently. SO BEFORE PEOPLE START TELLING ME THAT I DONT KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, DO YOU RESEARCH. I WAS IN PHARMACY SCHOOL, I THINK I KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THE PROFESSION. Sorry for getting upset, I just cant stand people who give misinformation on these boards, when I'm trying to help people, and give ACCURATE info.
www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Alltheway in Socal, California said: California does not have 8-10 pharmacy schools. Where do you get your facts. We have 4 maybe there is a 5th one I can't think of. And the hospital I'm at is a training hospital and the interns get a great experience learning hands on.

It was the above person who tried to say I was wrong...just go to my link posted above....thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rxcc in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

JohnDoe in Angola, New York said: I forgot who said "where do I get my information from, that california does not have 8-10 pharmacy schools"...I dont have alot of time to come on here and CORRECT everyone constantly. Does anyone know what Pharmcas is? Its the centralized site where pharmacy students have to apply to pharmacy school. 90%+ schools participate in this system. So, some schools are not accounted for because they dont use it yet. Anyways, go to this link, it shows 8 pharmacy schools in CA, (LIKE I SAID), and I believe there are a couple more that arent using Pharmcas, which put it at 10. I'm part of a pharmacy board, and I'm certain 2-3 more CA schools are trying to open currently. SO BEFORE PEOPLE START TELLING ME THAT I DONT KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, DO YOU RESEARCH. I WAS IN PHARMACY SCHOOL, I THINK I KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THE PROFESSION. Sorry for getting upset, I just cant stand people who give misinformation on these boards, when I'm trying to help
people, and give ACCURATE info.
www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

YOU ARE RIGHT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenke in Grand Prairie, Texas

44 months ago

Been working as a pharmacist for 15 years, I make 120K working for Wags.

Money is great, you work hard, but what do you expect making over 100K straight without overtime.

So everyone quit pharmacy and make 50-60K a year, I will stick with my 120K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Niles, Illinois

44 months ago

I wen on this site today due to the fact my mother, who has been a pharmacist for 10+ years was laid off. I initially thought that I too would follow in my mom's footsteps, but starting in the beginning of last year that has all change. She started to seem stressed out, overworked and most importantl scared of losing her job. Sadly thoughm this has caught up to her and now is in trouble. After seeing what my mom haf been going through and hearing all that was said in this topic, I'm glad to say that I will not become a pharmacist. I was actually thinking of joining the uic progeam this fall but I will take my interest elsewhere. I appreciate what everyone has said and thank you for it. I do hope she can find a a job elsewhere in time before I start college for now I am truly worried about my future for anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FS in Lynn, Massachusetts

44 months ago

CNN is not a good source for this information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BigMac in Alexandria, Virginia

44 months ago

To Phil in Niles, Illinois

I am sorry to hear of your mother's difficulties.. perhaps looking around for a different pharmacy situation which would better suite her personality/strengths would help. I hate to see all of that experience go to waste... All the best to you both.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank

44 months ago

Yea people don't do pharmacy, stay making 50-60k.

I have enjoyed my 100k+ salary since graduating pharmacy school! But stay out of pharmacy it's bad!! Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Fresno, California

42 months ago

Truong in Westminster, California said: Thank you Johndoe & RPh for your input. I believe that a lot of people get into this field is because of the $$$,new graduate 100K+. Have you done any research on Physican Assistant field? Is that on the same trend as pharmacy? Thanks. I'm an RT working per diem right now! This field is also saturated as well. I'm thinking to move on a different field in health care. I have a new grad nurse who for 6 months couldn't find a job either.

Hi Truong,
I was wondering what career path did you take. I will be graduating next year with a B.S. in Community Health and I'm thinking about doing my pre-req. classes for pharmacy school. I'm also considering Physician Assistant. Ideally, I think I rather go the Pharmacy route, not for the money but I think of it as a secure job and I would really love to open my own pharmacy chain one day. I totally understand the hugh infulx of pre-pharmacy students and the possible future of pharamcy but I just don't see it happening.

Let me know what did u choose to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

some age on this RPh in Albany, Georgia

42 months ago

RPh in Rockford, I could not agree more about Pharmacists joining this profession for the right reason. After nearly 30 years I can honestly say I still enjoy being a pharmacist. Some patients I'd like to send elsewhere but they are still my patiients. I have worked hospital and retail and agree you can't do it for the money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

some age on this RPh in Albany, Georgia

42 months ago

I had a 3.2 on a 4.0 scale. The only place I ever applied that asked for transcripts was federal/veterans admin. and their application process is unreal compared to most. What's your thought here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Fresno, California

42 months ago

I haven't taken many math or science classes, my undergrad classes were mostly toward my major. I have failed some classes during my first and second year but I have re-taken those classes and passed with remarkable grades (I failed 4 classes in total, including chem, history, sociology, and statistic, re-took them all, passed chem with an “A“ , history with an “A“, sociology with a “B“ and I‘m currently doing very well in stat class with an 88%). My plan is to get my bachelor (Spring 2012) and then do my pre-req. for pharmacy school. That way I could focus strictly on my math and science classes and get all the help that I can get without distractions. I’m hoping that I could redeem myself by doing well in my math and science classes to compensate for the classes that I failed earlier. Let’s just say, my transcript doesn’t look that bright during the first and second year of college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey

38 months ago

unemployed pharmacist here. cannot find ANY work as a pharmacist. have gone to every place I could possibly find out there. it is BRUTAL. i dont know what i will do to feed my family. i cannot even tell my wife all this, she thinks that there are tons of pharmacist jobs out there. i keep explaining that i apply but never hear back (most arent even fulltime positions).

at this point im applying for jobs that are not pharmacist positions. im taking my pharmd off my resume because places will not hire you if you are a flight risk.

i wouldnt wish this on anyone. i owe over 100k in loans right now as well. i am buried by this debt and just cannot pay anything.

John Doe, pharmcas doesnt even discuss the "satellite" campus that those schools have. a satellite school is a whole other pharm school on its own but shows as the main school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Itwasgoodforawhile a in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

how can being reprmand affect my job serach. worker comp, got fired for that but they have to make me look incompetent first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Itwasgoodforawhile a in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

with 2 yrs in residency, and Pharm D. You will get a job somewhere good. Might not be a sit down clinical job, at your home town. You will have to move somewhere to0 move. And you will have to some staff work. I think the 9-5 p mon to Fri at=re gone. Get involved in clinial informatics for 2 yrs in residency. leern how to write pharmacy programs, new nich out there.
wish you good luck. And I know because I am exactly in the in the same shoes, but I am not married and no kids.

Check university of UTAH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dan in Lawrenceville, Georgia

37 months ago

JohnDoe in Angola, New York said: Sorry for the typo. I am on my phone and didnt catch it.....I meant to say I was accepted to a top 10 pharmacy school...........People can say things like, "People will be retiring, health care plan will add millions more on scripts, etc. etc." Fact of the matter is that doesn't matter. Saturation has already reached its tipping point in alot of areas, and will be much much worse in 4 years from now. Not only have new pharmacy schools been popping up on every corner, but older traditional schools have been increasing their class sizes. These schools are causing irreparable damage, and the number of new grads each year will GREATLY surpass the number of retiring pharmacists/open positions. Its simple supply and demand. Pharmacy is not immune to this rule. Trust me people, I love this profession and this is the last thing I wanted to see happen. It was a very difficult decision to make by stepping out of a program that I worked so hard to get into.

John I hear ya, I'm abt to drop out after my 2nd yr, how far into ur 3rd were ya, please e-mail me so we can talk

chumsy187@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Miami, Florida

37 months ago

Oh no! It's such a fast-paced work environment, the customers are so rude and impatient, the phone calls for transfers and confirms are driving me crazy... I only make $100,000!!! How about most jobs out there are worse than this and pay 1/3 what pharmacists make... Try being a high school janitor cleaning up clogged toilets and marijuana butts off the floor the whole day while crazy teenagers runs around you in circles for $7.25 an hour... My local CVS pharmacist just sits on her fat @$$ all day, nodding off until after 5 pm when she has to deal with 2 customers per hour. There's never been more than 2 people in line... ever... Hell, for 100k a year I will take it up the @$$ on a regular basis... You are all a bunch of spoiled, never-satisfied, greedy children...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (91) Reply - Report abuse

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

37 months ago

ed in miami, that CVS person you spoke of is a very big outlier from the norm if true. most pharmacists i know work pushing out 600+ prescriptions, answering phone calls, consults with customers, flu shots, running around crazy. they cut tech hours and pharmacist overlap. it is not a sitdown job. most places do not allow pharmacist to sit down during their day.

i have been looking for work as a pharmacist for months upon months begging for work. i even tell them i will work for less than they offer others. i apply to non-pharmacist jobs. there are people making 100k, but that is only a temporary thing and it will come down very fast in the future.

i am very stressed and depressed because i have over 100,000 dollars in loans, no job, no way to pay back, a wife and baby. my wife thinks im not looking hard enough because of all those news reports saying pharmacists have 100s of jobs.

i have walked in personally to every single pharmacy in a 25 mile radius looking for work and talking to pharmacists. i went on google maps and went to every single one out there. not a single damn job at all.

i have been seeking jobs outside of pharmacy like an office assistant or anything else but nobody will hire me because they said i am too overqualified.

i went to cheesecake factory that said they are hiring for a host position where you greet people at the door. if you are good, eventually you can move up to being a food server. they too told me they will get back to me when they have finished collecting applications.

i will say this, becoming a pharmacist has been the single hand WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE. i am crippled by the debt and i am crippled by the degree preventing me from getting jobs outside of pharmacy. i encourage people to avoid pharmacy as a career. this is a warm suggestion to help others avoid the miserable situation i am in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

SV in Thibodaux, Louisiana

37 months ago

MsKappaK in Houston, Texas said: You are a slave to the owners. You will do whatever they decide they want you to do to make them more money (give immunizations, work with insufficient support staff). Anything the customer says against you, you will pay for. It does not matter if the customer is lying. If the customer complains, you will be reprimanded. It pays well, but you get no respect- from the customers nor from the corporation. It is so bad that I have been looking for a $10-$15 per hour data-entry job with insurance benefits where I just type all day and everyone basically leaves me the f--- alone.

This is true!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tupper in Richmond, Virginia

36 months ago

I have 16 years of retail under my belt. I can tell you that this profession is an absoltue disaster. The few Pharmacists that are happy are the folks that have so much much debt that they pretend that they have a great job.

If you value your health, happiness, and don't want to end up pessimistic stay away from at least retail Pharmacy. If not, you will regret it in about 5 years after your energey runs low. After that, you will realize that your opportunities are few and far between. However, you have likely already bought a nice house, a nice car and have student loans. guess what., You are stuck! And, you didn't see it coming. The system is set up for a reason. You have just fallen into the system. And, if you got married and had a child then you will be protesting about retail pharmacy in the next ten years wondering how to get out.

Those of you who think we are making positives steps in Retail by giving FLU shots are fools. Medical assistance can already do this. This is just another burden placed on Pharmacists that does not work because chains are not willing to budget extra time to make a "clinical setting" approach work.

And, if you think people ae going to stop going to their Physician for cholesterol, BP, and A1C screenings you have got to be kidding. The pateint realizes that if they do this at the Docs office, the can also receive a prescription to get on with their lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Tampa, Florida

35 months ago

Tupper in Richmond, Virginia said: I have 16 years of retail under my belt. I can tell you that this profession is an absoltue disaster. The few Pharmacists that are happy are the folks that have so much much debt that they pretend that they have a great job.

If you value your health, happiness, and don't want to end up pessimistic stay away from at least retail Pharmacy. If not, you will regret it in about 5 years after your energey runs low. After that, you will realize that your opportunities are few and far between. However, you have likely already bought a nice house, a nice car and have student loans. guess what., You are stuck! And, you didn't see it coming. The system is set up for a reason. You have just fallen into the system. And, if you got married and had a child then you will be protesting about retail pharmacy in the next ten years wondering how to get out.

Those of you who think we are making positives steps in Retail by giving FLU shots are fools. Medical assistance can already do this. This is just another burden placed on Pharmacists that does not work because chains are not willing to budget extra time to make a "clinical setting" approach work.

And, if you think people ae going to stop going to their Physician for cholesterol, BP, and A1C screenings you have got to be kidding. The pateint realizes that if they do this at the Docs office, the can also receive a prescription to get on with their lives.

I just do not understand why retail pharmacists say there let alone for 16 years if they hate it. There are other pharmacy jobs, consulting, IV, oncology and so. So what if you bought a house and car. You can sell them and quit pharmacy altogether if you want. With all due respect you need the courage to change your situation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Tampa, Florida

35 months ago

I really get annoyed at the whinning of retail pharmacist. Yes I know that the jobs sucks but I have always made sure I had extra skills beyond just being a staff pharmacist and retail one to boot. If the job sucks then quit, I would rather be happy and make 50K per year them completely miserable and make 100K but while you hate the job you are addicted to the money. Retail has always paid the most because the job is the worst in all of pharmacy. I am an infusion pharmacy manager, I sit at a desk, get a lunch break, no face to face cusomers, I don not deal with insurance and I get 130K per year. My advice is to get other skills in pharmacy or quit and do something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.