Don't become a Pharmacist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 295)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

RD1234 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Would like some insight on my current situation. I'm 25 and have worked as a quality control chemist at a pharm. company for a little over 3 years. Pay is OK (I'll make $60,000 this year-- that is not my salary, I have just worked A LOT this year). I've been tossing around the idea of going back to pharmacy school primarily because I dont really enjoy what I do now. I'm very passionate about learning new things and constantly challenging myself, which is difficult to do in a position where you are expected to be almost robotic. I also dont like the thought of being shi* out of luck if something were to happen to the company and the only experience I have is working in a lab . Luckily I only live about 45 min away from a school that offers a 4yr weekend program so I would still be able to work (at least for a while) while attending. I'm ready for the challenge that it would most definetly be, but my biggest concern is whether it's really worth it? I've read that the avg salary of a pharmacist is over 100,000 but by the comments on this thread that does not seem to be the case. And the work environment seems extremely stressful (which I am used to). And job availability?? I live in the Morgantown WV area. Any insight would help-- thank you!

I am surprised to hear of a 4yr weekend program! It sounds like some schools are doing anything to make getting a pharmacist degree available. Yes, the salaries may still be at $100K but there are NO JOBS. I have been unemployed for 1.5 years and I am now back in school to pursue an RN/NP degree. I have applied to over 100 jobs and I have almost 30 years experience in hospital, retail, home infusion...many jobs posted are not even real jobs. I have found that out by speaking directly to the person responsible for hiring. Please do anything in pharmacy. The market is so oversaturated. Go on monster and search for all pharmacist jobs in the US.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York said: I am surprised to hear of a 4yr weekend program! It sounds like some schools are doing anything to make getting a pharmacist degree available. Yes, the salaries may still be at $100K but there are NO JOBS. I have been unemployed for 1.5 years and I am now back in school to pursue an RN/NP degree. I have applied to over 100 jobs and I have almost 30 years experience in hospital, retail, home infusion...many jobs posted are not even real jobs. I have found that out by speaking directly to the person responsible for hiring. Please do anything in pharmacy. The market is so oversaturated. Go on monster and search for all pharmacist jobs in the US.

When I did a search there were 280 jobs in the entire country and 400 new graduates within 100 miles from me (4 pharmacy schools). It is hopeless...

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia said: When you are old enough to earn a living, you may or may not have the knowledge and skills required for employment. So, you begin earning a living in any way you can. Most people who are educated are employable, but it does not mean that there is an occupation "available" for them by virtue of their education nor does it mean that the uneducated have nothing they can do to earn a living. What society does is to reward people for their contribution to solving problems that confront society regardless of whether one is educated or not. In some countries, governments will help people to find an occupation or give them money from the unemployment insurance fund if they cannot find something to do. Since nobody owes anybody a living, I do not know where the term "job availability" comes from. May be you can help me understand it.

"The person must be a natural-born citizen of the United States and must have been a permanent resident of the United States of America for at least 14 years. Additionally, a candidate must not have been impeached by the Senate, and not have participated in a rebellion against the United States. Candidate must be at least 35 years of age."

That's all you need to president of the United States. But there is only ONE job. That is what job availability means. The weak link in your fine plan is finding someone to work for for "a few years" to get the financial means to start your business. I would hang on to your current job. Most of us (myself included) are just looking to perform the service we are trained and licensed to do. No more, no less. I have been a pharmacist for almost 30 years. It is a fine profession and I did not enter it for the money. I entered it to work as a trained pharmacist. And there are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

pharmwhisperer11 in denver, Connecticut said: You sure have ample time to post in this forum for someone who is taking full advantage of their education/going to start their own drug development company. I admire your big dreams but when you graduate your experience as a pharmacy technician will likely be your greatest asset, as your knowledge will not be valued by employers who have 10k people with the same knowledge base begging at their feet.

I totally agree!! And I hope he has enough money to pay off any student loans, start up the new business, and afford to buy groceries and pay his utilities...maybe he is independently wealthy? I hope so.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia said: Whether, one values my "experience as a pharmacy technician" or not does not matter. Why? My "greatest asset" will not be that "experience", but instead the knowledge and skills acquired while attending college . So, I am not concerned about the "10K people with the same knowledge base begging" because I am not one of them. They go to college for the sole purpose of getting a degree to compete for a job, in order to work for someone for a living, whereas my primary objective for attending college is to acquire a complete education , which will enable me to make the right decisions in my life, after college.

Sounds great, as long as you don't need any money to "make the right decisions". As long as you don't expect to work as a pharmacist, your plan makes perfect sense.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

37 months ago

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York said: Sounds great, as long as you don't need any money to "make the right decisions". As long as you don't expect to work as a pharmacist, your plan makes perfect sense.

You will notice that those "right decisions" are made before leaving college, by doing your homework and looking at the opportunities that might be coming your way, including those that you can create for yourself. It also involves working in your field while attending college, to see if it is indeed your calling, as I have done. Unfortunately, too many people try to make decisions about their careers after college when it is too late to do anything about it. Hence it is costly to them to do it that way, rather than deciding while still a college student with no commitments.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

37 months ago

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York said: "The person must be a natural-born citizen of the United States and must have been a permanent resident of the United States of America for at least 14 years. Additionally, a candidate must not have been impeached by the Senate, and not have participated in a rebellion against the United States. Candidate must be at least 35 years of age."

That's all you need to president of the United States. But there is only ONE job. That is what job availability means. The weak link in your fine plan is finding someone to work for for "a few years" to get the financial means to start your business. I would hang on to your current job. Most of us (myself included) are just looking to perform the service we are trained and licensed to do. No more, no less. I have been a pharmacist for almost 30 years. It is a fine profession and I did not enter it for the money. I entered it to work as a trained pharmacist. And there are no jobs.

That is interesting. The dictionary defines the word "available" as "something present and ready for use." If the U.S. presidency is the only "available" occupation, how come not everybody to whom it is "available," and is qualified to be president gets it? If it was "present" and "ready" for those qualified, it would not be necessary to get the nomination and then endure a grueling campaign to be elected. Therefore there is no such a thing as an "available" occupation because nobody is guaranteed one regardless of whether it is the presidency or any other occupation. Well, regarding my plans for the future, this is what I know.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

37 months ago

Since I have made up my mind to run my company after college, I may obtain the necessary capital to start from a number of sources. I may borrow from a bank or a venture capitalist, get it from my family and friends or save it from my own earnings. I have found that, the majority of entrepreneurs like me use their own money, which has no strings attached when compared to the other two sources. That is what I have decided to do by starting out after college as a temporary Healthcare Investment Banker, save my money and quit to run my company after 3 to 4 years. That is my immediate plan. It is possible because I know someone who holds the PharmD/MBA degree who did it successfully and from whom I have obtained advice.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

37 months ago

unemployedRPh in Buffalo, New York said: I totally agree!! And I hope he has enough money to pay off any student loans, start up the new business, and afford to buy groceries and pay his utilities...maybe he is independently wealthy? I hope so.

I have already stated in this forum that, the reason I have worked as a Pharmacy Technician is to learn about the profession from the ground and not to acquire "knowledge to be valued by employers" or to earn a living. Similarly, I would be a temporary employee for the sole purpose of saving my start-up capital and not to earn a living working for other people. Most financial problems come about when we get into commitments we cannot afford. As long as one works, one may not be able to get ahead, but will certainly get by, because there will always be some money for the three basic necessities of life: Food, clothing and shelter.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

37 months ago

By living within your means, you pay as much as you can afford of your college loans, live in a cheap apartment with all utilities paid by the landlord, use public transport and delay starting a family until you have saved enough to invest in your company. Living within one's means is possible because people do it, especially those who would like to get ahead and not just to get by.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Scared for Rx in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

Please people, don't feed the troll.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mvd in Godfrey, Illinois

37 months ago

Scared for Rx in Brooklyn, New York said: Please people, don't feed the troll.

YES, YES, YES!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mvd in Godfrey, Illinois

37 months ago

California just passed a progressive practice law for PHARMACISTS!!

Starting Jan. 1, California Law Expands Scope of Practice for Pharmacists
Is a new California law expanding scope of practice for pharmacists an anomaly, or the beginning of a trend to use pharmacists to help meet increasing healthcare demand? Find out what the new law allows and how it creates advanced status recognition for pharmacists who want to do even more.

I hope more states follow!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Scared for Rx in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

mvd in Godfrey, Illinois said: California just passed a progressive practice law for PHARMACISTS!!

Starting Jan. 1, California Law Expands Scope of Practice for Pharmacists
Is a new California law expanding scope of practice for pharmacists an anomaly, or the beginning of a trend to use pharmacists to help meet increasing healthcare demand? Find out what the new law allows and how it creates advanced status recognition for pharmacists who want to do even more.

I hope more states follow!

From NABP website, "the law allows advanced practice pharmacists to do the following: Perform patient assessments, order and interpret drug therapy-related laboratory tests. refer patients to other providers,initiate, adjust, and discontinue medications under physician protocol. Work with other health care providers to evaluate and manage a patient’s health issues."

I thought that pharmacists can do this already, no???

And what does advanced practice pharmacists mean? Residency-trained, BCPS certified? Or does this apply to ALL pharmacists?

I don't mean to sound like a downer, I think it's good NABP FINALLY is doing something (anything). Well, I hope this new law helps.....

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Albuquerque, New Mexico

37 months ago

NM and three other states have had an Expanded Scope of Practice, that is the Pharmacist Clinician, and the pharmacy school has made it part of their curriculum. When these people finish their program they are already clinicians. The fact remains the insurances have not universally accepted many of their practices ie, immunizations, MR, etc. Until, we can bill for our services and GET PAID, the system remains stagnet and jobs are few.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mvd in Godfrey, Illinois

37 months ago

Scared for Rx in Brooklyn, New York said: From NABP website, "the law allows advanced practice pharmacists to do the following: Perform patient assessments, order and interpret drug therapy-related laboratory tests. refer patients to other providers,initiate, adjust, and discontinue medications under physician protocol. Work with other health care providers to evaluate and manage a patient’s health issues."

I thought that pharmacists can do this already, no???

HA! Brooklyn, that is just what I thought! I have been doing every one of those "practices" for 15+ years in a hospital setting!! I am thinking that the law FINALLY lets community pharmacists use their knowledge and experience instead of regulating every intervention they try to make. I tried retail once. I kept wondering what the patient's CcCl was as I was dispensing their meds or what their culture grew....I don't know how the retailers do it!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Scared for Rx in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

@MVD

I am not sure how retailers do it too. Oh yeah I do......the public is kept in the dark. I really think if the public knew what really went on in retail, things would change overnight.....

I don't know if these new laws will help. Like Ed in New Mexico said, if pharmacists can't bill for many services then nothing will change. Pharmacy wants the best of mid-level status without the training. Don't work like that. If we can't diagnose, prescribe and administer, then why are we whining? It's like pharmacy wants their pie and cake too.....

The old model of pharmacy is outdated. The current laws are antiquated. These requests for mid-level status should have been made decades ago. NPs are the wave that will reinvent health care.

Before people jump down my back, I am not saying pharmacists are completely worthless, it's just that pharmacy has not created enough jobs to keep pace with the schools cranking out graduates. Yes, many graduates will be employed. But many more will not. We are seeing a bubble form that will soon pop. And for those employed, how many will be happy with their jobs? Retail has become a "burn & churn" body factory........

What will arise from the ashes? Only God knows......

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mvd in Godfrey, Illinois

37 months ago

I have really always been practicing in a hospital, where pharmacists have almost total autonomy. I have recently lifted my head to look around and it isn't looking to good. I think pharmacists are full of hope and promise at graduation but if they are put behind a counter and not given much clinical freedom...well, then, we have the "burn & churn" phenomenon. (worse-not even given a chance to practice)

The practice has the potential to be really great and unbelievably helpful to patients...lets hope the lobby gets it together quickly and turns this around.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Scared for Rx in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

burnedcarph in San Diego, California said: Old news flash - notice from USPHS Commissioned Corps available at www.usphs.gov/profession/pharmacist/
PHARMACISTS
In recent years, USPHS has received overwhelming interest in career opportunities. To manage the current volume of applications amidst organizational changes, it was necessary for us to focus our efforts on professions and positions of most need. As of May 2012 – and until further notice – the Commissioned Corps is not accepting new application packets for this profession.

Just checked their website again (December 12, 2013). Commissioned Corps is only taking applications for physicians assistants and NPs only. Sorry pharmacy, you are a$$ fu<ked out of luck!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

37 months ago

Scared for Rx in Brooklyn, New York said: @MVD

I am not sure how retailers do it too. Oh yeah I do......the public is kept in the dark. I really think if the public knew what really went on in retail, things would change overnight.....

I don't know if these new laws will help. Like Ed in New Mexico said, if pharmacists can't bill for many services then nothing will change. Pharmacy wants the best of mid-level status without the training. Don't work like that. If we can't diagnose, prescribe and administer, then why are we whining? It's like pharmacy wants their pie and cake too.....

The old model of pharmacy is outdated. The current laws are antiquated. These requests for mid-level status should have been made decades ago. NPs are the wave that will reinvent health care.

Before people jump down my back, I am not saying pharmacists are completely worthless, it's just that pharmacy has not created enough jobs to keep pace with the schools cranking out graduates. Yes, many graduates will be employed. But many more will not. We are seeing a bubble form that will soon pop. And for those employed, how many will be happy with their jobs? Retail has become a "burn & churn" body factory........

What will arise from the ashes? Only God knows......


Education is the acquisition of knowledge and the skills to apply it. The Education acquired as a result of attending college is meant not only to make you aware of what is around you, it also imparts to you the discipline and the ability to do just about anything in this world that requires dedication and service to humanity. Over the years I have been attending college, I have noticed that people make the mistake of thinking that the degree confers upon them the benefit of being employed in their field under any circumstances. So, they go to college for the sole purpose of getting a degree to get a job, and not to acquire knowledge and the skills to apply that knowledge. There is a better approach.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

37 months ago

Assuming that you have acquired a complete education in college, you should be able to use it to do anything useful and beneficial to you and society, whether there are "enough jobs created" for pharmacists or not. Hence you will find that, there are many successful bankers who are lawyers, administrators who are pharmacists, businessmen and women who are teachers, legislators who are physicians and so on. The list is endless. When you are well-educated you avoid becoming one of those graduates who "will not be employed" because you are creative and resourceful, unlike people who go to college to get a degree and not a complete education.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

pharmj in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

Mike in Tampa, Florida said: I really get annoyed at the whinning of retail pharmacist. Yes I know that the jobs sucks but I have always made sure I had extra skills beyond just being a staff pharmacist and retail one to boot. If the job sucks then quit, I would rather be happy and make 50K per year them completely miserable and make 100K but while you hate the job you are addicted to the money. Retail has always paid the most because the job is the worst in all of pharmacy. I am an infusion pharmacy manager, I sit at a desk, get a lunch break, no face to face cusomers, I don not deal with insurance and I get 130K per year. My advice is to get other skills in pharmacy or quit and do something else.

Mike are you looking for a pharmacist at your location, or do you know of any job opportunities in the central Florida region? If so, please let me know, I do want to move back to Florida some time in the future.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mvd in Godfrey, Illinois

37 months ago

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding Pharmacy Practice New article "ASHP Forecast Calls for Profound Changes"? It sounds dismal for hospital pharmacists but encouraging for community pharmacists.
www.pharmacypracticenews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Web%2bExclusives&d_id=239&i=December+2013&i_id=1022&a_id=24553&tab=MostRead

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

blowinbubbles in Colorado

37 months ago

I should add that I worked as a NP for 5 years before relocating to Colorado. I had a job in Colorado for 3 years and was the victim of a lay-off (yes, they do lay off in this profession) related to the outside contract in place for the position. At that time there were no jobs available and I was not in a position to relocate again. Had I come here with a background only in nursing at the undergraduate level I would have had many opportunities but with a graduate degree they figure you will leave if they hire you and you find a NP position so they aren't willing to take that chance. It's not worth the cost of graduate school or the time involved to pursue your graduate degree.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

JEFFIAH in Key West, Florida

35 months ago

pharmlisa in Clarksville, Maryland said: America is already flooded with pharmacy schools, graduates looking for work, so to continue to open more colleges would be stupid. I have been a retail pharmacist for 17 years and yes it does pay well, but the anxiety level and fast pace of pharmacy is through the roof. The best place for a pharmacist is in a hospital where you can continue to learn and put all those years of study to good use!

THERE IS THE CORRECT ANSWER OUT OF ALL I HAVE READ.
IVE BEEN IN FOR 24 YEARS AND IT FEELS LIKE THE MILITARY IN THE RETAIL SETTING AND I WONT DO IT ANYMORE FOR THESE PIGS (RETAIL GIANTS)

THEY ARE GREEDY AND TREAT EDUCATED PEOPLE LIKE DOG EXCREMENT. IF YOU CAN GET A HOSPITAL OR LONG TERM CARE POSITION, GET IT... STILL YOU WILL BE OVERWORKED BECAUSE HOSPITALS ARE NO LONGER PRIVATIZED, THEY ARE ALL BEING BOUGHT UP BY HUGH CORPORATIONS AND THE SAME WILL HAPPEN HERE AS IT HAS IN RETAIL.... THE BOTTOM LINE TO STOCKHOLDERS AND THATS THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH.....GOOD LUCK NEW GRADS....

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ed

35 months ago

MsKappaK in Houston, Texas said: You are a slave to the owners. You will do whatever they decide they want you to do to make them more money (give immunizations, work with insufficient support staff). Anything the customer says against you, you will pay for. It does not matter if the customer is lying. If the customer complains, you will be reprimanded. It pays well, but you get no respect- from the customers nor from the corporation. It is so bad that I have been looking for a $10-$15 per hour data - entry job with insurance benefits where I just type all day and everyone basically leaves me the f--- alone.

The world in Pharmacy is revolving into Corporate Americana. Long hours, less auxillary help, and more demanding. The respect from the younger crowd is very cruel and mean. RPHs considered old school, replaceable, but we paved the way and still can stand and fill 9 to 12 hours daily and run circles around lazyness hotheads. We are becoming extinct.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

34 months ago

JEFFIAH in Key West, Florida said: THERE IS THE CORRECT ANSWER OUT OF ALL I HAVE READ.
IVE BEEN IN FOR 24 YEARS AND IT FEELS LIKE THE MILITARY IN THE RETAIL SETTING AND I WONT DO IT ANYMORE FOR THESE PIGS (RETAIL GIANTS)

THEY ARE GREEDY AND TREAT EDUCATED PEOPLE LIKE DOG EXCREMENT. IF YOU CAN GET A HOSPITAL OR LONG TERM CARE POSITION, GET IT... STILL YOU WILL BE OVERWORKED BECAUSE HOSPITALS ARE NO LONGER PRIVATIZED, THEY ARE ALL BEING BOUGHT UP BY HUGH CORPORATIONS AND THE SAME WILL HAPPEN HERE AS IT HAS IN RETAIL.... THE BOTTOM LINE TO STOCKHOLDERS AND THATS THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH.....GOOD LUCK NEW GRADS....

You are absolutely correct. I saw it first hand as a Pharmacy Technician for one of the top chains in the country. The store where I worked was located in a huge residential complex with many wealthy residents. One of them was a middle-aged lady who owned a considerable amount in stock in that chain. This lady would walk into the store and take it over, by ordering every employee, including the Store Manager, to cater to her needs. She wanted to be treated like VIP, which she was, according to the chain. They let her get away with it for years.

One day, the lady arrived at the store to find it closed for the day. She immediately got on her phone and summoned the Store Manager to the store within the hour or else. When he arrived, she ordered him to open up immediately. She retrieved a single item from the shelf, had the Manager start up the computer system and then ring up the item. The whole episode took about one hour.

After hearing the Manager's story, I asked him what happened when he reported the incident the the District Manager the next day. He replied that nothing could be done about it because she was a shareholder. Whenever the lady came to the store during my shift, I would conveniently ask for an excuse, from my Pharmacist-in-Charge, to go to the bathroom.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Lamprini in Athens, Greece

34 months ago

Hello everyone. I am Greek Pharmacist, I live in Athens and work as a retail pharmacist for the last 3 years. My aunt lives in Ohio and I am thinking about moving there too. I have a BS in Pharmacy and the National Lisence to Practise Pharmacy.My school lasted 5 years (4 years of studies and 1 year of practice). I would like to ask if you know, if I am obligated to spend another 4 years in a PharmD program in order to obtain a valid Licence in Ohio State or if any of my studies will be valued so that I can only take some tests concerning the knowledge of English and the Licence. Thanks anyway!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

unemployedrxguy in Gaithersburg, Maryland

32 months ago

Hello all. I'm a guy who has been unemployed for 4 years from the pharmacy profession. Had a retail job that took me almost a year to find after graduating RX school in 2009. I find the post here informative and really making me regret going to RX school. I mean, I've pretty much tried everything that one can think of to find a job. But it just seems as though the profession isn't as lucrative as first thought.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

32 months ago

UnemployedRXguy in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: Hello all. I'm a guy who has been unemployed for 4 years from the pharmacy profession. Had a retail job that took me almost a year to find after graduating RX school in 2009. I find the post here informative and really making me regret going to RX school. I mean, I've pretty much tried everything that one can think of to find a job. But it just seems as though the profession isn't as lucrative as first thought.

It really breaks my heart too see this the majority of the graduates I have talked to seem to think that pharmacist is a stable and has a lot of jobs to offer them. Talk about wearing rose color glasses and the pharmacy schools seem happy with this lie. I keep hoping that the new healthcare program will save pharmacy but wish in one hand and doodoo in another which will get full first. Good luck too you!! I wish you the best!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

science kid in USA in Tucker, Georgia

32 months ago

Hi. I'm a high school sophmore. I am very interested in being a pharmacist. I live in the US. I want to get your feedback if its a great idea or not. I'm very interested and I don't know if its a good idea. Some websites say its one of the best jobs and their will be an increase in jobs, but some say that its all wrong. I don't want to waste my time studying for an overcrowded career. please give me any feedback. thanks

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

biopharma in Washington, District of Columbia

32 months ago

There are a number of things you should know at this stage in your life. On top of the list is Science. You have plenty of time to explore Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. All the colleges of Pharmacy require all applicants to have a good background in the Sciences in addition to passing the Pharmacy College Admission Test(PCAT).

When you become an undergraduate in college, you should do two things that will help you to decide whether Pharmacy is your calling or not.

1. Get a job at your local Pharmacy and work there in the evening after school. These days, you need to be certified to do so by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board(PTCB). Do not mind about the low wages. Your aim would be to learn about the profession from the ground.

2. Become a member of the Health Professions Club of your college. You get tips on how to apply to the college of Pharmacy of your choice, by interacting with professors and other students in your chosen field.

If you are still interested in Pharmacy while working with Pharmacists, you should to ask them questions. Don't forget to read widely about the profession. It is important to read as much as possible about your chosen field because you will not get all the information you will need in the classroom.

You will spend 4 years as an undergraduate, plus another 4 years in the college of Pharmacy of your choice before graduating with the PharmD degree. Before graduation, you will have to decide whether you will become an employee Pharmacist or own your own business. Do not wait to graduate before making up your mind because after college it would be too late.

I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician(CPhT), with over 12 years of experience in Retail and Hospital Pharmacy. When I started out on my first job, I was paid $4.50 an hour. Today, my rate is $18.50 at a hospital pharmacy. I am also pursuing my PharmD/MBA degree, following which, I will run my own company. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

unemployedrxguy in Gaithersburg, Maryland

32 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: It really breaks my heart too see this the majority of the graduates I have talked to seem to think that pharmacist is a stable and has a lot of jobs to offer them. Talk about wearing rose color glasses and the pharmacy schools seem happy with this lie. I keep hoping that the new healthcare program will save pharmacy but wish in one hand and doodoo in another which will get full first. Good luck too you!! I wish you the best!!

I should have also mentioned I had to quit the job because of inept employees and the pharmacy was poorly run (almost got fired). Been searching the last 4 years. It sucks.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Run away from pharmD !!!!!!!!!!
If you really have passion about medication and good at science, study pharmaceutical science !!!!!!!!!
Get a phD then work for Johnson & Johnson, GSK make $150,000 a year why ? Because each state produces about 300 to 1500 pharmacists per year and only about 15 PhD in pharmaceutical science a year. Isn't it ridiculous ???

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

terrymye3214 in Jamestown, New York

31 months ago

Unemployed in Buffalo, New York said: And I would work as a slave for a chain. I would work anywhere.

hey unemployed in buffalo send me an e-mail if u can..thanks terrymye@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

G in White Plains, New York

31 months ago

This is one of the saddest forums I have ever seen. The jobs for a pharmacist are significantly more than for many other fields. The environment can suck, pharmacy chains have made sure of that. But instead of complaining, do something! Do a residency, a fellowship, internship or start something on your own. Pharmacy is a good career with tons of potential that we simply do not tap into.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Erie, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

David in Atlanta, Georgia said: Worrying about a pharmacy job is going to be the least of our worries when the whole economic fabric of our society rips. Food and water will be a luxury. The only way the economy will ever correct is to let it self correct. That means that debt will have to be wrung out of the system like dirty water in a dish rag. That never happens without tremendous consequences for society. It happened in the 1920's and it will happen as sure as the sunrise in the months or years to come. The world's economies are on the life support because of the funny money our government continues to burn up the presses with. Math is, believe it or not, an exact science. When we finally can print no more, the walls will collapse.The math will have the last word no matter what our goofy politicians have to say.

This site will enlighten many as to why we are in for a horrendous future.
theeconomiccollapseblog.com/

Now here's a man who has taken his head out of the sand! Kudos!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

oxykitten in Salem, Massachusetts

31 months ago

I'm not sure most pharmacists are not able to find jobs. I can attest that many of my classmates in the graduating class of 2014 has signed on with jobs since october/november of 2013 - some kids who have no pharmacy experience whatsoever outside of rotations. Ones who choose not to do retail, have residencies and fellowships lined up. The jobs are out there, it's a matter of whether or not you're willing to do that particular one.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Erie, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

AlliedHealthGuy in Brea, California said: Whoa whoa whoa, what about all these people who make 30K or less? Maybe you should spend less and live as if you earn 50K? Aren't you smart enough to do that?

On Indeed forums:

Dental assistants complain and tell people to become a dental hygienist . Dental hygienists complain and tell people to become a nurse. Nurses complain and hate their job.

"A" technicians say they can't find a job so they advise people to become a "B" technician instead. "B" technicians say that's not true and tell people to become a "C" technician. "C" technician say that's absurd and even they struggle to find a job.

I've seen these same patterns in almost every Indeed forum. I really want to get some unbiased facts.

There is so much truth to this post here.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mattew in Ottawa, Ontario

30 months ago

pharmacy is sucks, the most horrible job in the earth,, I graduated from pharm D program, just avoid it people

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Montray in Mineral Wells, Texas

30 months ago

mattew in Ottawa, Ontario said: pharmacy is sucks, the most horrible job in the earth,, I graduated from pharm D program, just avoid it people

Everyone on here are ungrateful and are the types that will never be satisfied in life. There is also some lazy mixed in. You all could have useless jobs like the majority of most people in our country. Could be making 1/3 of your salary now in a job you have no purpose in life for. Grow up and do your job pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

thefinestwhoever in Danville, California

30 months ago

oxykitten in Salem, Massachusetts said: I'm not sure most pharmacists are not able to find jobs. I can attest that many of my classmates in the graduating class of 2014 has signed on with jobs since october/november of 2013 - some kids who have no pharmacy experience whatsoever outside of rotations. Ones who choose not to do retail, have residencies and fellowships lined up. The jobs are out there, it's a matter of whether or not you're willing to do that particular one.

Are the students who had no experience besides rotations find jobs in mostly retail or some in hospital?
I feel like most of my class who graduated also (majority) have jobs lined up. Most of these kids (80% i'd say) are going into retail. 15% or so are doing residency. I know some kids who never worked but have found jobs in retail. I have heard most people who decide on retail end up finding jobs fairly easily. However, I'm looking for hospital w/o experience and have just applied so far, waiting to hear back. I've probably applied to 30+ places so far. We'll see, lol.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

thefinestwhoever in Danville, California

30 months ago

G in White Plains, New York said: This is one of the saddest forums I have ever seen. The jobs for a pharmacist are significantly more than for many other fields. The environment can suck, pharmacy chains have made sure of that. But instead of complaining, do something! Do a residency, a fellowship, internship or start something on your own. Pharmacy is a good career with tons of potential that we simply do not tap into.

I agree, but even many who are doing residencies are not finding jobs. Residencies have become increasingly competitive as there are more graduates interested in residencies, and there are not as many hospital based jobs as there are pharmacists. Just getting a simple hospital per diem job has become tough without a residency, a few years ago people would just graduate and come into these jobs, no problem. It's become far tougher as there are more graduates coming out than there are jobs available.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

chancery in Atlanta, Georgia

29 months ago

Know a pharmacist with Kroger.Had 10 interns and only 3 got jobs. He is planning to start his own electrical contracting business and leave pharmacy in the dust. For all you starry eyed dreamers who are so deluded, get out NOW. You are in a dying profession,or should I say job. You are a double fool for beating the dead horse of pharmacy. I say this after 37 yrs. in it. Probably more that most of you ignorant dreamers have been alive.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

MQT in Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

chancery in Atlanta, Georgia said: Know a pharmacist with Kroger.Had 10 interns and only 3 got jobs. He is planning to start his own electrical contracting business and leave pharmacy in the dust. For all you starry eyed dreamers who are so deluded, get out NOW. You are in a dying profession,or should I say job. You are a double fool for beating the dead horse of pharmacy. I say this after 37 yrs. in it. Probably more that most of you ignorant dreamers have been alive.

PHARMACY IS HORRIBLE, retail or hospital. Simply saturated and 225,000 loan will never go away. The schools are all about money and not the education. The corporations are all about the Greed while we bleed. If you are smart, go do something else and save the 225K

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

PharmDee1 in Wood Dale, Illinois

27 months ago

Hello,

I think i need some help!! So, I am in pharmacy school right now, i have worked so so soooo hard to get here. I got my B.S in Biology and now i am in my first quarter of pharmacy school. It is so much harder than i thought. I mean the stress is unreal. I am having trouble because i moved away from home (which i come a very large family and it was my first time every leaving home). I cry every single night because of how stressful it is, i stay up all night an study and as much as i study i can barely pass my exams. Its sucks because everything is exam based, so if you fail an exam your pretty much screwed. I have always wanted to do pharmacy and no not because of the money, i actually enjoyed working as a tech. for over 3 years. However, after this quarter i am not sure if i actually want to put my self through all this serous stress and about 240,000 dollars in debit. I have thought about other options related to pharmacy, but can't seem to link anything. Does anyone suggest anything or have an advice to give me. I really want to stay in pharmacy school, i mean I've worked so hard, and but i am going though Stress, depression, severe anxiety, lost weight and i don't need that I'm already skinny, unhealthy, i cry every day, i just don't know if this is suppose to be part of the process and I'm wondering if it get better but i don't think it does. I don't know what to do anymore, i also feel like i would look like a loser for turning my back and i would be so judged by many. Help?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Oldsplitter in Milford, Michigan

27 months ago

Life is what U make it ! Remember WE control access to the "cookie jar".

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Oldsplitter in Milford, Michigan

27 months ago

1) Basic anatomy has not changed in the last 500 years, neither has basic physiology. 2) All new drugs are just "variation" on older drugs. Therefore the answer is to SHUT-UP, learn the material, stay current, get to a pharmacy you can live with & "party-on" !

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

27 months ago

just a horrible comment switch to a major with a future not one that is bent on it's own destruction yes they actually have a program where you can go to pharmacy school online,could you imagine a nursing,medical or dental school like that? Why dont they just have a mail order pharmacy school so you can get you're degree with cereal box tops!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

johndoerph in Foster City, California

27 months ago

PharmDee1 in Wood Dale, Illinois said: Hello,

I think i need some help!! So, I am in pharmacy school right now, i have worked so so soooo hard to get here. I got my B.S in Biology and now i am in my first quarter of pharmacy school. It is so much harder than i thought. I mean the stress is unreal. I am having trouble because i moved away from home (which i come a very large family and it was my first time every leaving home). I cry every single night because of how stressful it is, i stay up all night an study and as much as i study i can barely pass my exams. Its sucks because everything is exam based, so if you fail an exam your pretty much screwed. I have always wanted to do pharmacy and no not because of the money, i actually enjoyed working as a tech. for over 3 years. However, after this quarter i am not sure if i actually want to put my self through all this serous stress and about 240,000 dollars in debit. I have thought about other options related to pharmacy, but can't seem to link anything. Does anyone suggest anything or have an advice to give me. I really want to stay in pharmacy school, i mean I've worked so hard, and but i am going though Stress, depression, severe anxiety, lost weight and i don't need that I'm already skinny, unhealthy, i cry every day, i just don't know if this is suppose to be part of the process and I'm wondering if it get better but i don't think it does. I don't know what to do anymore, i also feel like i would look like a loser for turning my back and i would be so judged by many. Help?

You also need to make a financial decision, return on investment, ROI, and the life style you want to live. After a while it's all the same, it's a routine. Look into to being a PA or medical school. If you can't get in to US medical school or don't have the confidence consider medical school in the islands. I think you spend a year there for basic science. Consider joining a ROTC to finance your ed.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.