Don't become a Pharmacist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 389)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Fábio in Belo Horizonte, Brazil

29 months ago

MsKappaK in Houston, Texas said: You are a slave to the owners. You will do whatever they decide they want you to do to make them more money (give immunizations, work with insufficient support staff). Anything the customer says against you, you will pay for. It does not matter if the customer is lying. If the customer complains, you will be reprimanded. It pays well, but you get no respect- from the customers nor from the corporation. It is so bad that I have been looking for a $10-$15 per hour data - entry job with insurance benefits where I just type all day and everyone basically leaves me the f--- alone.

The situation for pharmacistis in Brazil is even worse. The average salary in my country is U$1,000.00 / month. And we have to deal with the same situation mentioned above.

Wanna get seriously ill and depressed? Then become a pharmacist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Trunkz in Mineral Wells, Texas

29 months ago

I have point in a lot of work as a pre-pharmacy student. Has the profession turned into one big headache? I know I have been a pharmacy tech for a few years and I hate that job, but I figured being a pharmacist would be better than a tech. They say that pharmacist will take on a more clinical role in healthcare but I do not see how that will happen since they can not handle all the responsibilities they have now without making mistakes. So is there hope for pharmacy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

magpie in Alexandria, Virginia

29 months ago

But at least you have great MMA to watch! Anderson Silva!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ccc in Columbus, Indiana

29 months ago

What job do you consider instead of Pharmacist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

magpie in Alexandria, Virginia

29 months ago

I have come to realize I like information best, machines next and people/animals next. I think I might have been happier in intelligence, library science or oceanography. I might not be making over 100K a year though.... How 'bout you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ccc in Columbus, Indiana

29 months ago

Do you think Pre-Med in high demand like Doctors etc.........?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

whenpharmacywasfun in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

I graduated from one of the first all PharmD schools. There was a lot of pie-in-the-sky talk back then. Now it's more like a pie fight. Thank dog (I'm not dyslexic.. I'm atheist) I'm retiring from this profession. I used to LOVE it! A BIG difference was that more of us actually enjoyed the work and had a genuine desire to help people. Even adjusted for inflation our low salaries then would have current graduates running for the exits. But it was a stable, clean, and RESPECTED profession. I've worked everywhere from big hospitals to mom and pop pharmacies to LTC. Today they all have two or three things in common that together will very soon reduce pharmacy to a VERY tiny fraction of its current size or do away with it altogether: technology, corporatization, and legislation. TODAY, off the shelf software can replace the "cognitive skills" of a pharmacist in ANY setting. With CPOE, a prescriber (watch out physicians.. you're next!), can see that what they've prescribed either isn't covered on the plan/hospital formulary, interacts with another drug, is the wrong dose/sig/concentration, etc. From there, they may have the option to do a PA or chose another drug from the list of therapeutic equivalents on the screen (possibly with a financial incentive). ANYONE can check a cult/sens report to change a prescriber's initial empirical antibiotic choice. We used to use our BRAINS to do PK and "balance" TPNs. Now they run to a computer or pull out a smartphone. IF your hospital even makes the TPN anymore! It's often farmed out. Many states allow techs checking techs. How long do you think it will take large retail chains to push pharmacy boards to allow tech/tech checking? Will hospitals really want to pay a PharmD 100K/yr to chase a crash cart? So, no matter if you have a job (good or bad) today, within a generation, there will be almost NO pharmacist jobs at ANY pay! They simply don't need our brains anymore; it's that simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Miss2012 in Mumbai, India

29 months ago

I was thinking of switching to a PharmD program. I am not really sure though after reading all of the comments here.:( Is it that bad?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

hombreviajo in Terre Haute, Indiana

28 months ago

when pharmacy schools went from a 5 yr degree B.Sc. Pharm degree to a 6 year pharm.d. degree they did not retroactively give pharm.d's to their prevous graduates, that dated them and allowed age discrimination in the work place. The number of lecture hours was about the same, but they required 10 months of working for free at 10 different places each month in exchange for the 'd' on the degree.

To the B.Sc. Pharm graduates they wanted both a year more of lecture classes and the 10 months of free work, who can do that?

Now they are screwing their pharm.d's of the past by have a 2 year paid residency. Those graduates without that 'experience' will be dated and cut out of a segment of the job market.

Pharmacy schools represent corporate needs, not the patient's or their student's needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

David in Atlanta, Georgia

28 months ago

Recently a friend of mine who is 65 was working at Wrong Aid. One day they walked in a told him that the store was closing.He asked where am I to be transferred.
They said no where. He has a BS and has called hundreds of places for a job. ZERO luck. I told him to just take his SS and walk. I believe he will. He also said that this was being done to a lot of older pharmacists in the chain. I believe it. Why not get rid of all the old BS and hire in the new PharmD for 70 to 80 or less. Things are so bad they will that the less! Young people, please do not go into pharmacy. It will not pay off. One day when you are in your 30's you will see a 747 jetting overheard. It will be coming back from World Central Fill located in Asia. It will be loaded with thousand of scrips all filled by robots manned by technicians. You will make much more money be learning how to repair jet engines and to keep them flying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

whenpharmacywasfun in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

mmm.. nope.. aircraft maintenance is already done mostly overseas..lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aubie in Huntsville, Alabama

28 months ago

it's nice to see that some pharmacist can see through the scam corporations are running. Just remember: Corporations don't care about you, your children, or your family. In fact, they do everything to ruin life for you. Vote for Romney, and you're getting one of the head corporate cronies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Providence, Rhode Island

28 months ago

Google how big evil allowed pharmacists to take the fall for not being trained properly to administer immunizations. Said they could administer shots regardless and the PHARMACY manager was left to sign the COMPANY discipline report! Poor sap was probably threatened and did so because of it. Big evil hands down is the worst chain to work for. Google angry pharmacist and Jim plagakis...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Air Fox in Hopkinsville, Kentucky

28 months ago

How could anyone go into pharmacy after reading this forum?

I recently graduated from pharmacy school. I was at the top of my class in scholarship, and was heavily involved with extracurricular activities. It doesn't mean s**t when you're done.

That said, I'm studying for the MCAT and will hopefully do something I love, become a physician.

Think before you act, pre-pharmacy students. If you're doing it for the money, even that may be diminished when you arrive onto the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

thehopecoach in League City, Texas

28 months ago

I agree with most of the sentiments expressed here, and I regularly try to dissuade people from the pharmacy profession, not because of fear of competition, but rather I see the future of the profession as bleak and want to spare others the heartache. I went into pharmacy because I believed I could help people live healthier, but now I feel like I just push pills that are really doing more harm than good for my patients. I have studied naturopathic medicine for years and often provide alternatives for my patients-something that will probably get me in trouble with the retail corporation I work for at some point. I have seen a growing trend in the past 5 years especially of decreasing professionalism and increasing workload, being expected to do more with less help and with more liability because the odds of making an error are also increasing.

As a result of these changing work conditions, I have been looking for an alternate career path for many years, but of course as most of you have probably also discovered, getting an entry-level position in just about any other field means taking a massive pay cut. Unfortunately, I have 5 kids and cannot afford to take that cut! Last year, I began working as an independent contractor in the financial services field (still working full-time as a pharmacy manager). This position has the potential to replace my pharmacist income, which will allow me to remove myself from the nightmare that this profession has become. It is a viable option for those of you who are seriously fed up with the disrespect, rude customers who are "always right", and management who have no business telling you how to practice pharmacy. I certainly understand the regret I hear in so many of your posts, but you do have options to get yourself out of your current situation. I do believe things are going to continue to get worse, so having a plan B is a smart choice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No Reply - Report abuse

New Beginning

27 months ago

I agree with most. I have been a pharmacist for over 10 years and I've spent every one of those years trying to get out. I've even put myself in debt trying because of bad investments made in haste (for instance by rentals in the wrong location and the wrong tenants). Pharmacy was never my first choice but was in high demand when I entered, contrary too now, which made my parents more comfortable in helping with part of the tuition. I was always more interested in basic science research. First I started in retail and it was a major insult to my intelligence as days when entered counting pills, answering phones and talking to insurance companies, all of which my technicians could do. Even the questions were basic as a well trained technician could handle so there was always a bit of conflict and perhaps a bit of guilty for making so much more. I then move on to hospital pharmacy, even teaching ones. At first I was amazed at the newness and not having to listen to angry costumers but it only took a year for the boredom to set in and realize that 90% of my job was to protect my license, not really to help people as any error remotely related to any drug is pointed to pharmacy even if it had to do with the nurse or physician administrating it and pharmacy is to come up with a solution to prevent. Also most of the questions asked don't take much training as they are readily available on lexicomp and even without your training, your tech can figure out how to get the info. So it's like 6 years of training only boiled down do knowning the right source to look at.
One pharmacist I worked with once said, if you want a job you can mildly tolerate while still being able to pursue your hobbied, pharmacy is good. So if you're of that mindset, I envy you because to me your career defines who you are in society. If you don't like what you do your friends and family don't understand. If you're someone that's creative, or likes to be mentally challenged, don't do pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-Pharm Tech thinking of getting PharmD in Phoenix, Arizona

27 months ago

Thank you so much, I know this was posted over a year and a half ago but this is the best comment I have read yet, most helpful. I am a ex tech and it does suck, as a tech you feel like you do all the work and the Pharmacist is taking it easy kicking back getting paid up the a** because they have a piece of paper saying they know what you already know, look at the PTCB, its a bunch of sh*t a tech will never need to know or use, yet we must know it. I'm thinking about going for a PharmD, figure I can bust a** in school for 6 years then kick back in a pharmacy getting paid 6 figures a year, sitting on my a** having a blast watching my techs sweat bullets while ripping there hair out running in circles lmao cause that's exactly how a tech feels. I think I would love to be a Pharmacist based off what I've seen working as a tech. I'd like to make it clear that I do understand that a Pharmacist has a lot more responsibility or I guess you could say has "more on the line" when it comes down to mistakes, but sh*t rolls down hill, if a Pharmacist gets in trouble then so does the tech regardless of the techs roll in the situation. I'd also like to say that a Pharmacist who complains about the stress of the job would probably appreciate it more if they put them self in the techs shoes for a few days. I worked in a fast paced restaurant for 6 years as a shift manager and found it to be more stressful than a Pharmacy (I've worked in retail pharmacy, hospital and warehouse mail-order. Hospital was my favorite.) so as a tech who was use to high stress environments I believe what actually stressed me out the most was seeing a Pharmacist watching his techs run in circles busting a** and not lifting a finger to help, angered me to the point of leaving the tech field. Now I want to be that Pharmacist but I want to give a whole new reputation to the Pharmacy world, as in help my techs, treat every patient as if they are a guest in my home with respect and kindness. Wish me luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Ex-Pharm Tech thinking of getting PharmD in Phoenix, Arizona said: Thank you so much, I know this was posted over a year and a half ago but this is the best comment I have read yet, most helpful.........................................................."

I wrote that whole comment in reply to "HaHa in Lake Stevens, Washington

20 months ago" which can be found on the 1st page of this thread/forum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

New Beginning said: I agree with most. I have been a pharmacist for over 10 years and I've spent every one of those years trying to get out. I've even put myself in debt trying because of bad investments made in haste (for instance by rentals in the wrong location and the wrong tenants). Pharmacy was never my first choice but was in high demand when I entered, contrary too now, which made my parents more comfortable in helping with part of the tuition..................

Thank you, your comment has been helpful. I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, I am 25, married and have a 2 y/o son. Pharmacy has been something I have been interested in for many years, since I was 15. I would like to be a Pharmacist and in the Navy Reserves. I know different strokes for different folks. Pharmacy isn't for everyone, but based off what you've experienced and what you know, would you recommend the career field to someone like myself who is mainly wanting to be able to support a family with financial stability within the next 5-6 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

LTC RP in Omaha in Omaha, Nebraska

27 months ago

Supporting a family as a pharmacist is a certainty as long as you have a job. I've been a pharmacist since '94 and I'm pretty sure there aren't near as many openings as there used to be. While the profession pays well you'll need to resign yourself to the fact that your income will provide a home for your family but your family will have to be used to your absence because pharmacy hours are NOT M-F 9-5. You'll get evenings weekends holidays while your family's home without you until perhaps you've gained enough seniority or position to get some more choice shifts. Depending on your field you may be on call after hours in addition to your normal work hours. The previous posters' statements about getting stuck in the field after accumulating debt from loans house cars kids is dead on. Also dead on were the statements that the degree is not transferable at all It's good for the job but damn hard to parley into other jobs. Even drug reps are rarely pharmacists anymore. A law degree might be a next good step but thats a lot of school and more debt. It's a high stress high intensity job that to a non-RP onlooker appears easy because they can't see your education and training at work trying to ensure you're dispensing safely and won't kill someone with a mistake. Sorry for going on too long. Bottom line pharmacist job provides for family as long as you get and can keep up with the j

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RPHFEELINGUSELESS in Hatboro, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: I am in New Jersey. I would NEVER become a pharmacist again. I have completed a residency, have experience, network, and I cannot find ANY HOURS a week.

I literally call places BEGGING to work. There is nothing. Other pharmacists will not help or even call you back since they are afraid you will come for their job. I cannot find a damn thing out there.

If ANYONE in NJ knows of any openings please let me know. I will stay in a motel and work if I have to. AVOID PHARMACY. I swear this is 100% real post. The degree I have is virtually worthless. All those years studying, working my ass off, did not pay off. People who tell you otherwise haven't had to face finding a new job..... YET.

avoid avoid avoid. Get into something else if at all possible. Pharmacy is so limited. Think of opening your own pharmacy, the overhead is HIGH. It isn't like working as a chiropractor (which has its own issues), but they do not struggle with the overhead issues that pharmacy does. You can earn your own keep at least.

I have read all your posts and wonder how you are doing, did you find anything yet?
You are so right about the job situation, it is horrible in the PA/NJ area.

I have been a pharmacist for 16 years and unfortunately only graduated with a BS degree. I was one of the last classes to graduate with a BS before my school went to the mandatory pharmD degree. At the time I did not know that they would do away with the BS degree or I would have continued on and got my PharmD.
As a pharmacy student and intern I worked 2 years in hospital and 2 years for a drug company. After graduating I completed a 1 year hospital residency, but foolishly took a job in retail (for the money) where I have been since. I am currently employed, but I am at my breaking point with my company and have been looking for almost 2 years and found nothing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RPHFEELINGUSELESS in Hatboro, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

It is appalling to me at how bad the market is for pharmacists is in the Mid Atlantic area. I have been looking for almost two years and have found nothing! The last position I applied to had 102 applicants. Today I called a district manager for a chain pharmacy (where everyone could always get a job) and was told there are no jobs in the PA/NJ area. I was told that I could send my resume and they would put it on file with the 220 other resumes they have!!

The comment about companies only wanting employed pharmacists is so untrue, because I am currently employed and cannot find anything. Even though I completed a pharmacy residency I am told that I do not qualify for hospital jobs because I do not have recent (within 1-2 years) hospital experience. The chains/retail only seem to want the new graduates and will not hire anyone older. Although I am employed, I am working under terrible working conditions which have been eating me up for the past several years, and I feel trapped and hate going to work.

Although I am only in my late 30's I dread the idea of going back to school, especially since I have a family. I also wonder at this point if it is worthwhile to change careers, and do not even know what I would go back for. I too am so sorry that I chose pharmacy as a profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No Reply - Report abuse

ICU NP in Rockford, Illinois

27 months ago

RPh in Rockford, Illinois said: Pharmacist salary $100,000+

Being part of the code blue team that help resucitate "Dad" and getting the see the family reunite....

Seeing the patients culture results and realizing the Dr. is using the wrong abx. making the appropriate recommendation and seeing the patient get better.....

Saving a patient from a possible 10x overdose because the MD wrote/entered the wrong dose.....

Doing a diabetic teaching for a young mom's child who was diagnosed with diabetes and assuring her this disease is manageable and they can do this....

Helping a new nursing graduate understand how heparin is dosed, how to set the pumps and to never be afraid or embarrassed to ask a pharmacist for help because that's why were there...

Being a preceptor to a P1 student and helping them with a difficult case study and finally "getting it".....

ALL PRICELESS

RPH in Rockford......
Would love to know where you worked. I am an RN looking through this site per my husband's request. He is currently researching the PharmD field. I have worked at 2 of the 3 hospitals in Rockford as a Tele RN & now ICU. I think is great that you have the opportunity to do all of the above. In my 15y, i have never seen an RPH who does patient education or help a nurse program an IV pump. Please keep up the great work, your the best person for this.

As an NP student about to graduate, i have been extremely overwhelmed with the amount of pharmacology we are required to know. My hat off to you all for keeping our patients safe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pharm_dont in Cobb, Georgia

27 months ago

kika789 in Tampa, Florida said: Pharmacist will be more recognized, Practicing a more clinical based consults, Rounds in hospital , Specialty areas and Jobs...Techs Will be more recognized also doing all the verifiying and checking not to mention more money for us as well

In many states technicians are or will be allowed to make the final check on a prescriptions as long as 2 technicians check the product. Scary... not at the fact that the tech's eyes are not as good as the pharmacist but who is liable if an error occurs. Is it the pharmacy manager or the pharmacist on duty held liable when the error occurs? Food for thought- in malpractice suits I do not see patients suing a $10/hour high-school or associate degree grad but the professional making 80K+, 8 years of education, and RPh or PharmD behind their name.

27 months ago

I have worked in pharmacy for 15+ years and the field has changed dramatically. Our profession is and has always been devalued (much from our doing) because we must silently protect doctors and nurses from harming patients. The fact is and remains that the pharmacist are liable for the errors created by physicians, nurses, and pharmacy technicians, as well as his own. So for those who claim pharmacist make a lot of money let us first look at the pharmacist's liabilities and responsibilities. The public does not know how this other professional in the white coat detects a prescription written for 10 or 100 times the prescribed dose or a life threatening drug interaction.
We are a silent profession. So what the public also does not know is that in many states technicians are or will be allowed to make the final check on prescriptions. Many techs are high school graduates who just take a certification test and some take a 18 month course for a diploma. States allow technicians to make the final medication check. Scary... not at the fact that the tech's eyes are not as good as the pharmacist but who is liable if an error occurs. Is it the state's (;0), pharmacy manager or the pharmacist on duty when the error occurs? Food for thought- in malpractice suits I do not see patients suing a $10/hour high-school or associate degree grad but the professional making 80K+, 8 years of education, and RPh or PharmD behind their name.
It is sad to say... as many healthcare systems and retail pharmacies cut corners; I believe pharmacists will need to sit back and watch how this plays out. In the mean time pharmacist protect your license. In order for pharmacies to operate, a licensed pharmacist must be on duty. Do not allow pharmacies to abuse your license i.e. bend the law for profits (pharmacist to tech ratio, final tech verifying prescriptions (your name is on it), etc.) because right now you are expendable... no matter how chummy you think are with management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cubbie in Fort Worth, Texas

26 months ago

I've read nearly all the posts in this thread. I find it disheartening. I have a Masters in Business and was hoping to get into the health care field by studying pharmacy at the University of Texas. Firstly, I wanted to study independently for the pharmacy tech exam, pass the test and (hopefully) gain employment as a pharmacy tech to see if I really wanted this career change.

One thing I haven't read here (I could have overlooked it.) is how the new Health Care law will affect the job outlook for pharmacists. I had anticipated (along with Bureau of Labor and Statistics Occupational Handbook) the industry job demand would increase. Do you all not think this way? The Bureau of Labor and Statistics states it will grow by twenty five percent.

Thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Tom Murphy PharmD in Frisco, Texas said: No other field other than a MD/DO can guarantee a 6 figure contract like pharmacy upon graduation.

A friend of mine got into a pharmacy school in California...2000 applicants only 150 slots...this is the trend, more schools will open, plenty of interest, because of the 100K+ starting salary...

Look at the profit just from the application fees
???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

26 months ago

I dont understand why anyone would go into pharmacy as a career especially since everyone says that the blessed 100k salaries are a thing of past. If you rack up your student loans to 200k and your salary is maybe 80 thousand a year how will you pay it back? I cant imagine struggling to get into pharmacy school and ending up living with your parents because of all the student loans you have to pay back. I hate to say this but maybe medical school is a better option!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

nwjt in Omaha, Nebraska

26 months ago

I was thinking of going to pharmacy school. So I started scouting jobs and couldnt find anything, other than some pharmacy manager type stuff.

In Nebraska, I have a job making about 75K doing healthcare analytics. Very flexible job, low hours most of the time, medium stress factor due to politics.

It sounds like pharmacist make about 100K a year, not sure if 25K more is worth the risk?

I guess I have an advantage though, I can keep this job and slowly work on my pharmD part time and when I get it wait for the right oppurtunity. Does that seem like a good plan? I think my work will pay for most of the schooling too.

Seems ironic though, 3 more years of schooling to go back to taking breaks at the walmart break room. Just like when I was a cashier during my undergrad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

pharmdrph in Atlanta, Georgia

26 months ago

I’m one of those that are in the profession and the viewpoint I can offer is from someone who has been through the experience. There are those that argue the reason for dissuading others to join the profession is not without an ulterior motive, yet I’m sure there are those that like me had gone in too far to turn back and wish someone had shared the true market conditions at the outset.
For those that will disagree, feel free to take the pre-pharm courses, go through the application process, take the PCAT, hope to get into pharmacy school without a previous degree, complete 3 years of didactic coursework and 1 year of rotations all the while acquiring an incredible amount of debt and sacrificing so much especially those with families. Go through everything and get your PharmD, get licensed and hopefully you’re fortunate enough to land a job. The profession is just not how what it used to be 10 years or even 5 years ago. The opportunity still exists; the opportunity to experience all those incredible things that being a pharmacist provides ….if you’re willing to go through all that I described above, then possibly get a residency, and a second residency, and maybe another degree, and who knows what else.
Pharmacy schools still sell the profession like the gold rush in the 19th century. The profession has become what it has due to a number of different reasons from the downturn of the economy to the EXCESS of pharmacy schools churning out students because they find it profitable for themselves. My main point is that there are simply better options: RN’s require less training yet respectable pay, PA’s are becoming the future of care, or of course the MD route. Pharmacy is simply not resistant to basic economics. The demand was there, but there was a lag time while everyone kept pushing to increase supply, measures were not taken to moderate the supply and today supply has overtaken demand. What follows is what happens in any situation where supply exceeds demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ramones#1 in Newburyport, Massachusetts

25 months ago

dan in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I'm starting my second year and am thinking of dropping out, the uncertainity in the proffession and lack of job security, thankfully ill only be 30k in debt, better than 150 and no job, what do u guys think?

Drop out now while the droping's good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PharmD 2009 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: ed in miami, that CVS person you spoke of is a very big outlier from the norm if true. most pharmacists i know work pushing out 600+ prescriptions, answering phone calls, consults with customers, flu shots, running around crazy. they cut tech hours and pharmacist overlap. it is not a sitdown job. most places do not allow pharmacist to sit down during their day.

if things are that bad, you need to move. stop being overly dramatic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Morgarath234 in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

I'm planning to get my PharmD when I go to college, but looking at all these forums, being a pharmacist seems like such a hassle. Are there any particular companies, or specific locations that have good working conditions or at least a lower amount of work hours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

confusinguy in Virginia

25 months ago

Hi everyone! I am in my second year at a community college trying to take all the pre-pharmacy courses. After reading these posts, however, I wonder if I should consider different paths, maybe Medical Technologist instead of Pharmacist. I do hope to receive some feedback before I apply to a pharmacy school. Thank you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

confusinguy in Alexandria, Virginia

25 months ago

Montray in Abilene, Texas said: I'm not sure where you live. If I was you I would check the job market to see if pharmacist's are saturated in the area you want to practice. I am in my first year of pharmacy school and just know heard about how it is difficult to find a job as a pharmacist. However, I worked in pharmacy before pharmacy school as a tech. With that being said, you need to ask yourself why you wanna goto pharmacy school and if sacrificing 4 years in school and acquiring debt is worth it. You have a long road ahead of you but if you are not scared of working, challenges, and commitment then go for it. Also, most pharmacist that bad mouth the career got into it for the money or they are lazy and thought a pharmacist is a cake walk. Pharmacy is a business and like any business you need to work hard all the time to fight competition. Yes you provide a service to your patients through counseling and clinical activities but you also manage a business and people. If your a leader then this is a role for you. I don't know the exact reason why people whine on here but I know it takes a certain type of person to be a pharmacist from my 6 years working in the profession. You would think with all this upset pharmacists on here they would join together and step up to try and change their profession for the better. Guess they are just waiting for someone else to handle that for them. Anyway pharmacy is a fun profession that challenges you daily if your willing to put the commitment in. There are many opportunities to help patients and yourself.

Thanks so much for your input. I live in Fairfax county, Virginia so the pharmacist job market is probably not as bad as some other areas. I have always wanted to be a pharmacist as I find it amazing to learn how a little pill can save a life. I think I will keep my mind about Pharmacy school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Where is the promised milk and honey in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

I just read the two previous comments to mine. Are you kidding me! Either you are both the same or work for the same private school. How Naive, "I don't exactly know why people whine on here..." and "There are many opportunities to help patients and yourself." Ignorant leading ignorant!
If most people "whine" on here, is b/c of the job market, same job market that you were promised to have multi job offers, that is non existant.
What do you think, pharmacist are standing on the side sipping coffee , waiting for their next paycheck.
You must be one of those techs "who knows more than the pharmacist!"
What a bunch of B.S." Yes you provide a service to your patients through counseling and clinical activities but you also manage a business and people. If your a leader then this is a role for you..." Slave master, and how the f*&% are you going to be managing people and business when you have no help and have to turn out so many Rx's a day. Same thing in a hospital. If you are scheduled to work in the main pharmacy entering orders, you will be doing with fewer and fewer pharmacist and more techs that you have to verify. How the hell are you going to be doing clinical work when there is more than 60 orders in the Q, playing catch up all the time.
You are damned right about a profession that challenges you daily... You will be challenged alright, to work faster and faster with less and less.
Will be seeing your graduates on this board , wondering why they can not find a job so "they can have many opportunities helping themselves and their patients."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

RPHFEELINGUSELESS in Hatboro, Pennsylvania said: It is appalling to me at how bad the market is for pharmacists is in the Mid Atlantic area. I have been looking for almost two years and have found nothing! The last position I applied to had 102 applicants. Today I called a district manager for a chain pharmacy (where everyone could always get a job) and was told there are no jobs in the PA/NJ area. I was told that I could send my resume and they would put it on file with the 220 other resumes they have!!
That was good to know, that even working they may not give you an interview. I read your comments, I can relate to just about everything you said.
But, I wouldn't rule out school again. I graduated with a PharmD in the late 90's from one of the top 3 school in the country. Pharmacy was my second career change then. I was in my mid 30's when I graduated. I did not do residency. But, all of my experience is in a hospital setting as "clinical Pharmacist" and Nuclear Pharmacy(b/c of my undergrad in Nuclear Medicine Technologist). Fortunately, I was divorced by graduation and not married since with all my school loans paid back within 5 years post graduation. I am licensed in 4 states. My home state, CA, is due to get another Rph school in 2014, and here in Chicago, a 6th pharmacy school is due to open. One good news after another! I had a major medical issue with hospitalization late last year till about march of this year. I have not been able to find a job. I have been to only 3 phone interviews. But, I did not sit back and watch this sinking ship take me with it. I took the GRE, and applied to graduate school. I started grad school at Northwestern in the summer of this year. I had to take out loan, and burning through my 401k for living expenses. But, I am very confident, once I graduate I will be in much better place than I am now. Hang on to your job at all costs,and I encourage you to take a huge leap of faith and go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Montray in Abilene, Texas said: I literally laughed out loud reading the past two comments. These guys with their negative attitudes need to just drop out of the profession already and drive a truck cause that sounds like all your good for... You just wasted Anyway apply to nursing school you may be better off there Where is the promised milk and honey in, one of us new grads will take your job.

"one of us new grads will take your job..." What job!, there is no job for you to take. Keep telling that to yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

blackbeltang26 in Alden, New York

24 months ago

Hi! I am having similar concerns. I am in my first year of pharmacy school, but am having doubts if it is for me. I enjoy seeing what a clinical pharmacist does, by rounding with physicians in the ER, but sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to be a PA. Ever since I shadowed a PA, I loved it. I think being a pharmacist would be a great career, but even so, I feel like I may still have doubts down the road. What did you have a passion for, other than pharmacy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Montray in Waco, Texas

24 months ago

blackbeltang26 in Alden, New York said: Hi! I am having similar concerns. I am in my first year of pharmacy school, but am having doubts if it is for me. I enjoy seeing what a clinical pharmacist does, by rounding with physicians in the ER, but sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to be a PA. Ever since I shadowed a PA, I loved it. I think being a pharmacist would be a great career, but even so, I feel like I may still have doubts down the road. What did you have a passion for, other than pharmacy?

Hey I am a first year pharmacy student too! I love pharmacy but it seems to be different now that I'm seeing a different side of the profession in pharmacy school. I have also thought of PA school, but I know I need to decide now if I'm going to stick it out or change now. I have a 91 average after my first semester so I'm sure I could handle PA school. Wonder if switching would be a smart choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blackbeltang26 in Alden, New York

23 months ago

Hi, Montray! you are also in your first year of pharmacy school? did you just finish your first semester? and how do you feel pharmacy school is different now? did you ever shadow a PA? I shadowed a PA during my senior year of high school and honestly loved it! I was already accepted to an early-assurance pre-pharmacy program, so I forgot about PA for a while. thought, I keep having doubts about pharmacy and think a lot about being a PA. I would love to operate on patients and give stitches. that would be so cool! and wow! a 91 is amazing. congrats! I'm President of my pharmacy class, which is pretty fun! and I'm sure you could handle PA school. I think the major question to ask yourself is that, do you want to touch patients and help them that way, or counsel patients and advise doctors? and I am debating on switching and have to do it soon, so I can save money. I want to know before next semester starts. I know it's hard to transfer into a PA program, so I have also considered being an ER nurse practitioner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Montray in Abilene, Texas

23 months ago

blackbeltang26 in Alden, New York said: Hi, Montray! you are also in your first year of pharmacy school? did you just finish your first semester? and how do you feel pharmacy school is different now? did you ever shadow a PA? I shadowed a PA during my senior year of high school and honestly loved it! I was already accepted to an early-assurance pre-pharmacy program, so I forgot about PA for a while. thought, I keep having doubts about pharmacy and think a lot about being a PA. I would love to operate on patients and give stitches. that would be so cool! and wow! a 91 is amazing. congrats! I'm President of my pharmacy class, which is pretty fun! and I'm sure you could handle PA school. I think the major question to ask yourself is that, do you want to touch patients and help them that way, or counsel patients and advise doctors? and I am debating on switching and have to do it soon, so I can save money. I want to know before next semester starts. I know it's hard to transfer into a PA program, so I have also considered being an ER nurse practitioner.

I worked in a clinic with NP for a year and was able to experience their interactions with patients. I really enjoy the interactions with patients and I feel after being involved more in pharmacy through pharmacy school that pharmacists do not get to diagnosis patients in the way I would like to. Anyway going to PA school wouldn't allow me to learn all there is about medications like I will in pharmacy school. On the plus as a PA I get to diagnosis and the plus for pharmacy I learn more in detail about medications. I feel like in the long run PA school will be worth it because I'm not sure about the future of pharmacy. I hear about all the great opertunities a pharmacist will have but I'm just not sure how things will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GianCole in Youngstown, Ohio

23 months ago

Hello everyone.

I am currently an undergrad student in Ohio working toward a degree in biology. I am in a two-year program which will help me get into the four school I am yearning for. I am on this site for one reason and one reason only. IS IT WORTH IT. All the work I am going to put myself through and all the debt I am going to have to pay back. I don't have a love for pharmacy and I am in it for the money. I am hoping I can spark something in the next couple months to see if it is worth it. I also wanted to know if becoming a technician would be helpful to get into the four year school I wish to attend. It seems like life after school isn't what I thought it would be while being behind the counter at a pharmacy. I read one comment on this site that they saw their pharmacist crying in the break room because of how bad it was. I hope someone is out there who could truthfully say if it is worth all the work and money if you are a slave and don't get any credit for the work you do every day on the job. God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

I would be more worried about the Trilateralists and 1313 than the Kondratieff spring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

GianCole in Hubbard, Ohio

23 months ago

Ok, Schlomo if I get out of the matrix all togther how will that help me? I want to be in the healthcare field but maybe pharmacy isn't my path. I'm not going to go to Africa to make things better because I can't handle the difficulty of work. I'm up for any challenge and was hoping someone could give me some advice on what their schooling was like for pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacy student in Tujunga, California

23 months ago

GianCole, going into a field for money is understandable because the economy is bad right now and there are no jobs. I think it's really important to consider salary when college students are picking jobs right now because unfortunately a lot of students who follow their "passion" and major in something random (and although interesting) AND have NO CLEAR PLAN what to do with their degree, will suffer. I see it now in my friends who are now going back to law school or business school because they don't know what else to do.
With that said, don't pick a single career path (ex: pharmacy) just because of the money. It's too many years of school and the tuition is too high and the job market pretty bad for pharmacists right now to pick it for money. $100k salary/yr sounds like a LOT but when you've put in 8 years total of undergrad + grad, taken out 200-300k worth of student loans, and you're doing a job you hate, you will soon realize the mistake you made but you'll be stuck because you have all those loans you have to pay back.
If I were you, I would first learn if I like to work with people or not. Patients are the most whiniest, neediest, demanding, and hard-to-deal-with customers because they are ill/feel sick and want their meds ASAP. DEFINITELY get a tech license and work in a pharmacy, or maybe you can even find a job as a pharmacy clerk (no license required). Or, volunteer in a hospital pharmacy if you can. Or, you can get a job working in a doctor's office and that'll be good experience too. If you find that you like working with patients, I would also consider becoming an RN, PA, NP, doctor, dentist...any of the health careers pay pretty well. Don't pick pharmacy because it sounds like a one-way ticket to a high salary. I feel like our coursework is the most difficult (a LOT of chemistry), too long for no reason, and when you come out, you don't even use 95% of the things you learn whereas the other professions do and they learn even more on the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacy student in Tujunga, California

23 months ago

I go to a top pharmacy school and my friends and I are convinced that our curriculum is just as difficult as a low-tier med school. A lot of students in my class are bitter now and wishing they went to med school, b/c now they feel like they could handle it (I don't know why but pharmacy seems to attract very non-confident, quiet, and passive aggressive individuals...all the loud, extremely social,m confident and type As go to med school...). I'm personally ok w/ my decision with pharmacy because I really like working with patients...I don't mind touching them, either, and I'm not grossed out by blood or anything, but as a doctor, I knew I would have to do complicated procedures like stick tubes in people or do surgeries and I don't feel comfortable with that kind of stuff.

Hope that helps.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

The income tax is 100 years old this year. Is that part of the conspiracy, Schlomo? Can you give me the mailing address for the John Birch Society?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Moni in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

Tom Murphy PharmD in Frisco, Texas said: Just graduated, work at LTC (long term care) facilty, love my job. I start at 106K a year.

There are jobs out there, you just have to do your research. I am in the highest tax bracket and I just graduated.....not many degrees can say that.

More schools will open and there will be tons of students that will be applying because of the 100K+/year salary...

Helpful comment.
Where did you do your degree?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

AlliedHealthGuy in Brea, California

23 months ago

Rxcc in Santa Monica, California said: 100k is not alot of money to live on. It is far from being "rich," in this time and age.

Whoa whoa whoa, what about all these people who make 30K or less? Maybe you should spend less and live as if you earn 50K? Aren't you smart enough to do that?

On Indeed forums:

Dental assistants complain and tell people to become a dental hygienist. Dental hygienists complain and tell people to become a nurse. Nurses complain and hate their job.

"A" technicians say they can't find a job so they advise people to become a "B" technician instead. "B" technicians say that's not true and tell people to become a "C" technician. "C" technician say that's absurd and even they struggle to find a job.

I've seen these same patterns in almost every Indeed forum. I really want to get some unbiased facts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.