Hospital-Based Pharmacy Career? Good/Bad?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Alessia in LA, California

15 months ago

I'm aware that many people now advise not to go into pharmacy due to the situation of schools over flooding and graduates, not enough job openings etc. I am particularly interested in clinical or hospital pharmacy, retail doesn't interest me what so ever. I'm wondering if the same "don't go into pharmacy" opinions are applied also to hospital-based pharmacy? I see that there are a several openings in my city but I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a position without some background working retail first (bleh).

How different is retail vs hospital pharmacy?

I'm interested and open to all opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scared for Rx in New York, New York

15 months ago

Alessia in LA, California said: I'm aware that many people now advise not to go into pharmacy due to the situation of schools over flooding and graduates, not enough job openings etc. I am particularly interested in clinical or hospital pharmacy, retail doesn't interest me what so ever. I'm wondering if the same "don't go into pharmacy" opinions are applied also to hospital-based pharmacy? I see that there are a several openings in my city but I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a position without some background working retail first (bleh).

Hello Alessia.

It depends on what region you are in. I am speaking for NYC - hospital can be difficult to get into if you have a retail background. Difficult but not impossible (you have to basically have someone on the inside looking out for you). Hospital - do you want to be a staff pharmacist or a clinical pharmacist?

Staff pharmacists mainly stay in central main pharmacy (sometimes they go to satellite pharmacies). To be a clinical pharmacist, you have to do a residency. Clinical pharmacists do many projects and have meetings with physicians and other health care providers. Clinical pharmacists also seem to get weekends off (again, this is my observation with regards to NYC).

In hospital pharmacy, you are mainly doing chart reviews as opposed to mainly dispensing in retail. Yes you do have your counseling in hospital, but it depends on the size of the hospital and the rest of the staff. Major academic hospitals with a medical/nursing/PA school attached - FORGET IT! Not much use for a clinical pharmacist as nursing/PAs do much of the things that clinical pharmacists do (medication reconciliation/ counseling/ chart reviews). In my APPE rotations in major hospitals, it's only recently that pharmacists are doing med. rec. and discharge counseling.

Just my two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama

15 months ago

Alessia in LA, California said: I'm aware that many people now advise not to go into pharmacy due to the situation of schools over flooding and graduates, not enough job openings etc. I am particularly interested in clinical or hospital pharmacy, retail doesn't interest me what so ever. I'm wondering if the same "don't go into pharmacy" opinions are applied also to hospital-based pharmacy? I see that there are a several openings in my city but I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a position without some background working retail first (bleh).

Here is an opinion for you :
news.wfsu.org/post/house-approves-letting-pharmacists-oversee-six-times-many-technicians

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NoFreeOxycontin in Detroit, Michigan

13 months ago

Hospital pharmacists have a great working environment and almost the same pay as a retail pharmacist. Just that it is impossible to get a hospital job. Work 10 years and they may or may not even consider an interview. To start out you have to go through the hell in retail like the rest of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.