Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 848)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

poppi2000 in Pompano Beach, Florida

34 months ago

Looking for a Pharm tech to work and a pharmacist interested in partnering in an existing Gwinnett Pharmacy. poppi2000@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

finefarmacist in Bridgeport, Connecticut

34 months ago

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I agree with Dave. If you insist on pursuing an education that will leave you in that much debt, I recommend Med School.

Pharmacy is a 6 year program, it isn't that much more to go to Med School. I also recruit for physician assistants and there is a lot of demand in that area. Nurse Practitioner is another area that you may want to consider as the shortage in that area is very high and the salaries are amazing. Nursing as a whole is an area I recommend as I am told my employers that there is a high shortage in that profession as a whole. If you choose nursing, I recommend staying in school and getting your MSN. There are many more opportunities that will become available if you get your Masters in Nursing. Visit FindNursingJobsOnline.com for more information.

I am overwhelmed about the number of jobs available in Physical Therapy. Especially jobs for Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists. Check out AllTherapistJobs.com to get more information on this.

The bottom line is there are jobs in healthcare, just not in pharmacy. If you are already in Pharmacy School and about to graduate, apply to a Residency program and get a PGY1 or go for 2 years and get a PGY2. If you have a PGY1 or PGY2 Residency or are a hosptal pharmacy manager or director of pharmacy with strong hospital experience visit AmherstHealthcare.com or email me at iinokon@AmherstHealthcare.com

...DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO SWITCH FROM PHARMACIST TO PHYSICAL THERAPIST?? I AM TIRED OF LOOKING FOR A PHARMACIST JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria H in Troy, Michigan

34 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Will you have to 'explain' you move to TX?? I hear that parts of the south & TX aren't that welcoming toward those from the east especially the northeast. Besides how do you explaining moving somewhere without a job lined up??

Just spoke to my friend in Dallas area. She said 25% of graduates from Austin were unable to find jobs. The dallas/Fr worth area is saturated with pharmacists. You will probably have to go into a rural area.
I lived there for 15 years and moved back to Michigan 8 years ago for family obligations. Want to go back to Texas but also am concerned that I will be unable to find work in DFW. It is a great place to live (kind of hot) but I am not
hearing good things about our rph market right now. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

finefarmacist in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: ...DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO SWITCH FROM PHARMACIST TO PHYSICAL THERAPIST?? I AM TIRED OF LOOKING FOR A PHARMACIST JOB

Sorry, I actually don't know. You should contact a school that offers those types of programs and speak with them directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matthwq in Cumming, Georgia

34 months ago

Hello, all. When I started college last year I thought about becoming a pharmacist, but lately I've been wanting to go to medical school. Medicine in general is exciting, so I want to do something with that. I just don't know where to go exactly. I guess I want to be a doctor more but if it doesn't work out I'd have only a few other options to consider. Tonight, as I was driving home from school, my mother called my cell phone and we talked and she told me our pharmacist said the job security is way high with a soon-to-be higher compensation ($147,000)! I don't know what to believe. If our pharmacist actually said that and what everyone here says about pharmacy is true then why did he lie?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

AllanRPh in Harvest, Alabama

34 months ago

I would like to relate my own experience and find out what is going on with everyone else. Maybe if we had commincated with one another we would not be in this sinking ship. I work for Walmart, when I can get hours. They have cut pharmacist out of the store.

Now, one pharmacist does 350 to 450 Rx per day with 3 techs. Is it very dangerous? Of course. When I work in this environment, I catch countless mistakes made by the techs, but what scares me are the mistakes I am missing. The State Board seems to be helping Walmart and other Corporations create this dangerous situation. The pharmacists who have full-time jobs are scared to death of losing their job, because they know they won't find another one. I know 5 pharmacist who lost their job and can't find work...all in their 40's with families. I have lost my job, but still get some work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Salaries remain high. I make $58/hr when I get work. Why do salaries stay up, while there is an oversupply of pharmacists? I have heard that salaries are coming down to the $50/hr area at Publix (from a Publix Pharm).

The Walmart DM is telling his pharmacists that he gets 6 to 10 calls a day from pharmacists looking for work and that if they can't do the job, he will hire one of them. So, you can see why they live in constant fear. Fear is a powerful motivator, but at some point you break down from the strain...it sucks life out of you, especially at 40 hours or more per week. Most of the pharmacists are volunteering, many hours per week, no pay, just to stay in the good graces of the powers that be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I know pharmacists who believe in both futures for pharmacy: improving and deteriorating. What is your view? I believe that this is part of a boom/bust cycle that will eventually normalize, but who long will this last? It looks like it will get worse, before it gets better, considering that the number of pharmacy grads is STILL increasing! Can you believe that?? I hope salaries will come down and jobs will open up.

What is criminal is the Schools putting the students into what amounts to indentured servitude with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt. How much school debt do you have? My children will say, "maybe, I should be a pharmacist". It is really endless pain, noone likes it and every pharmacist dreads the pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

this is total BS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in newark, New Jersey

34 months ago

I think it is criminal that they are saddling young people with debts that can be as high as 120k,before when pharmacy jobs were plentiful it was no problem to repay your loans but what future do you have with that burden hanging over head now a days. You work hard to get into pharmacy school so one day you can have a secure future but now it is like every profession out there it may take up to year or longer to insure a job and even that isnt set in stone. If I was a anyone about to apply to school I wouldnt go into pharmacy arena it isnt worth the money and time. Dont get me wrong it is a beautiful profession but somehow it has mutated in something totally different and not in a good way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trevor in Liverpool, United Kingdom

34 months ago

I make £52,045 as a pharmacist in liverpool, england

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Corwin in Burbank, California

34 months ago

To all unemployed pharmacists, I am a successful Internet entrepreneur that is entertaining the idea of developing a health and wellness storefront built around the idea that the Pharmacist is (or at least should) be the first line of defense for helping people improve their overall health and quality of living. I think it a tragedy that so many highly-trained individuals are struggling to find gainful employment in their field. My goal is to change that and provide new and challenging job opportunities for you Doctors of Pharmacy to own and operate your own, personalized online pharmacy while at the same time, creating a high-touch, high-value (and Internet-Delivered) service to customers. Think of the old-style corner pharmacy delivered through the Internet and you'll have the general idea. I remember when a pharmacist was more than just a person who filled a prescription--he/she was actively engaged in keeping you well and happy. I'd like to bring those days back, albeit in a new and novel way.

This is a new endeavor for me, and I would therefore appreciate your thoughts and feedback (both positive and negative). I think it would be a great opportunity for all of you to take control of you career and have the life-style that you desire. If you would like to see something like this actually happen, then please let me know. I am very serious about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama

34 months ago

Corwin in Burbank, California said: To all unemployed pharmacists, I am a successful Internet entrepreneur that is entertaining the idea of developing a health and wellness storefront built around the idea that the Pharmacist is (or at least should) be the first line of defense for helping people improve their overall health and quality of living. I think it a tragedy that so many highly-trained individuals are struggling to find gainful employment in their field. My goal is to change that and provide new and challenging job opportunities for you Doctors of Pharmacy to own and operate your own, personalized online pharmacy while at the same time, creating a high-touch, high-value (and Internet-Delivered) service to customers. Think of the old-style corner pharmacy delivered through the Internet and you'll have the general idea. I remember when a pharmacist was more than just a person who filled a prescription--he/she was actively engaged in keeping you well and happy. I'd like to bring those days back, albeit in a new and novel way.

This is a new endeavor for me, and I would therefore appreciate your thoughts and feedback (both positive and negative). I think it would be a great opportunity for all of you to take control of you career and have the life-style that you desire. If you would like to see something like this actually happen, then please let me know. I am very serious about this.

On this forum I hear many things it's difficult to determine fact from fiction, but yes, your idea, given the current state of affairs, sounds interesting. I'm not a Pharm D so I do not know if you are looking at just Pharm D's for this idea, but I am interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama said: On this forum I hear many things it's difficult to determine fact from fiction, but yes, your idea, given the current state of affairs, sounds interesting. I'm not a Pharm D so I do not know if you are looking at just Pharm D's for this idea, but I am interested.

I'm glad you are interested. My interest in this is very real, I assure you, and I will make it happen provided there is a real interest from others like you. As to your question regarding PharmD, I think the answer might have to be "yes", given that a big part of the initial opportunity is to create virtual storefronts for the pharmacist. I presume a PharmD is necessary to make this possible? Please feel free to school me on this point. I'm sure I have a lot to learn. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

AllanRPh in Harvest, Alabama said: this is total BS

I agree completly.. it is BS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AllanRPh in Huntsville, Alabama

34 months ago

Dylan in Olathe, Kansas said: Granted, a lot of those are for 18 yrs and older (so just high school kids) but still. They're there.

Looking at my fellow RPh friends, One is a single mom in her 40s with a preschooler, she has been unable to find RPh work here in Alabama for 2 years now. She is on foodstamps and medicaid. She is a VERY good, compassionate RPH. Another friend is going back to school to be a nurse. Still, another is unable to find work and is relying on her husband's income. Dentists, optometrist, physicians...they all have solidarity. They look out for each other. We are a screwed work force, because we stab each other in the back. If you think you are immune, you are ignorant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

amen to that my friend. Pharmacists need to get enraged. We are such a flaccid, cowardly group. Why do we stand by and watch our brothers and sisters get run over by a mack truck? If we unite, we could get something done. But is seems that nothing will change until some dramatic, media-engaging tragedy occurs. State boards are corrupt, Pharmacy schools are corrupt. We need to realize that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

AllanRPh in Huntsville, Alabama said: amen to that my friend. Pharmacists need to get enraged. We are such a flaccid, cowardly group. Why do we stand by and watch our brothers and sisters get run over by a mack truck? If we unite, we could get something done. But is seems that nothing will change until some dramatic, media-engaging tragedy occurs. State boards are corrupt, Pharmacy schools are corrupt. We need to realize that.

My thinking was that you start your own Internet pharmacy business. Is that something that makes sense to you? If so, then I'd be willing to help with the tech and business side of the equation. You could take some control over your future. What do you think?

34 months ago

AllanRPh in Huntsville, Alabama said: amen to that my friend. Pharmacists need to get enraged. We are such a flaccid, cowardly group. Why do we stand by and watch our brothers and sisters get run over by a mack truck? If we unite, we could get something done. But is seems that nothing will change until some dramatic, media-engaging tragedy occurs. State boards are corrupt, Pharmacy schools are corrupt. We need to realize that.

I agree, but pharmacists don't get it. The only way is to Unionize at the chain store level across the different chains at the same time. Draw up some decent proposals on how and under what conditions we will do this in a professional manner, and if our demands are not met, walk out nationwide. If that won't work than we can expect to be extinct, which may happen anyway, because the business community has nothing but contempt for pharmacists as a group.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Damage Control in Richmond, Virginia

34 months ago

Although I am a VA Pharmacist, I thought I would shed light on my thoughts on this profession. I am unsure about the rest of you, but I continually find myself doing error and damage control on data entry that should not be occuring.

This, puts an exttra amountstress on us because you have technicians that have been solid in terms of their commitment to the profession but they never become solid and less error prone. Even in the slowest events of a store, you can walk in on a shift and be perplexed that there are so many data entry errors and wonder why that tech has made it so long and so far in their career.

I have disiplined enough techs enough in the past to now realize that that doesn't work either. You get caught up in the beuracracy of the retail environment that it is hard to enforce accuracy anymore. And, you can't get rid of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melody Roach in Rogers, Arkansas

34 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

As many people I see on meds, I don't think we will ever see a shortage of pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Tupper in Richmond, Virginia

34 months ago

So, you have a few people on meds and don't see that ending? The reality is their are hundreds of RPH's coming out of school every year with no place to work. Where do you suggest or think they can work when business' aren't expanding and old RPH aren't leaving.
Seriously, it's supply and demand and if there aren't jobs where will they work??? Can you find me 329 open jobs in VA for pharmacists right now assuming they all graduate? No....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I shiver at this !! that is so scary man! after all those yrs studying ur a@s off!! not to menyion the sacrifices along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Naz in Annapolis, Maryland

34 months ago

I notice that the people who seem to be optimistic about the pharmacy job market live out in the middle of nowhere or mostly rural areas where nobody wants to go. The pharmacist who are either on the East Coast, California, or other populated areas are really able to see what's happening on the front lines. The job market for us is horrible. There really are not enough jobs. Some of these pharmacist that are working well into their 80's have not helped the situation along with all these new grads overpopulating the market. I think these optimists need to add a disclaimer to their statements that these available pharmacist positions are in rural areas mostly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

body
Regarding accuracy in the pharmacy, as I stated in an earlier post, the technicians create such a hazard for the public/pharmacist because they are not responsible or held accountable. Here in Alabama, the state board now allows 3 techs per pharmacists. This is where our jobs have gone. This is why pharmacists are no longer needed. Has the pharmacy gotten more productive? Maybe, but it has gotten much more dangerous...and it is wrong. The other day, I filled 352 Rxs on a Monday at Wal-mart. I cannot tell you how many mistakes, some life-threatening mistakes, that were made by the techs which I caught and corrected. Simply put: The Alabama Board is looking out for Walmarts bottom line and not the public's health...and they know what they are doing is dangerous. Please resond....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Damage Control in Richmond, Virginia

34 months ago

I do appreciate you stepping up and making a statement that you have also realized that RX Techs are extremely dangerous to us and our profession.

I cannot tell you how discouraged I have been over the years when I find out that despite each pharmacy you go to, you have poor help...in terms of what the status of help should be and accuracy level when you are dealing with public health and medication.

One problem is, techs think they are good and hard working because they are just there working hard. The problem is they are not working hard in safety zones, but assume that quick data entry and rushing the bottle to check is good work.
However, what you get is re-entry of the data and reprocessing of the claim based on sig issues, days supply, wrong MD, date etc.....

Where have all the good worker's gone? Perhaps they are not in retail because the smart people have already bailed years ago.

Perhaps there are not techs that can realistically meet the mental capacity to do their jobs. Thus, that's why we still have jobs. Techs, you suck and make too many mistakes. We are your safty blanket. Lucky you... try doing your mistakes in an ER or OR room. God bless your liability outcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Baltimore, Maryland

34 months ago

I was reading this forum last night and I just couldn't believe what I was reading. I have a friend of mine who gave up a lucrative job as pathology assistant to go back to school for pharmacy. I'm afraid what's going to happen to her when she gets out and can't find a job. And another thing, Yahoo is really crazy. They listed the ten college majors with the lowest unemployment rates: pharmacology was one of them. I was like: are these people for real? Why are the colleges sacrificing students in the name of the almightly dollar? Its just crazy.

PharmD in Frisco, Texas

34 months ago

I just graduated from one of the new pharm schools, I had a job lined up upon graduation.

108K....counting pills paying bills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Baertich in Glendale, Arizona

34 months ago

What is the salary of a pharmacist with 3 years of experience and currently works in a acute hospital at this time? I hear over 120 thousand a year. Is that correct? Also in the state of Arizona for a For profit hospital

John in Madison, New Jersey

33 months ago

I find this whole discussion interesting. I always regretted not going to Pharmacy school, even though I eventually received MS degrees in med chem and in pharmaceutics. While all you "doctors" were making big bucks, I was slaving away for peanuts in a corporate lab twiddling test tubes. Ultimately, I went to law school, which turned out to be an even bigger mistake. For those of you contemplating law school as a way to "save" your career, I have news for you. Law is 10x more competitive than pharmacy school. Plus, you'll spend at least $150,000 getting that degree and then have to pass a bar exam (if you can). Then upon bar passage, you'll face your biggest hurdle ... finding a job that will allow you to pay off your massive student loan debt. Currently, I'm unemployed and it doesn't look good. The pharmacy profession is now suffering from what the legal profession has endured for the past 20 years - overproduction of graduates. The schools are swine, only interested in maintaining their lavish lifestyle while working only 6 hours a week. Since I'm unemployed, I have a lot of time to contemplate all this. What I can say is there is a glut of just about every type of profession, whether it be pharmacists, lawyers, engineers, doctoral students, post-docs, etc. The only profession that seems to be recession proof is medicine (MD). The reason: The AMA has tightly regulated the number of graduates - not the case for lawyers (ABA) and does not appear to be the case for pharmacists. It's a sad state of affairs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

timeshavechanged in Miami, Florida

33 months ago

Susan in Baltimore, Maryland said: I was reading this forum last night and I just couldn't believe what I was reading. I have a friend of mine who gave up a lucrative job as pathology assistant to go back to school for pharmacy. I'm afraid what's going to happen to her when she gets out and can't find a job. And another thing, Yahoo is really crazy. They listed the ten college majors with the lowest unemployment rates: pharmacology was one of them. I was like: are these people for real? Why are the colleges sacrificing students in the name of the almightly dollar? Its just crazy.

Hey pharmacology is different than pharmacy. If you are studying pharmacology you are pursuing a PhD and will do research and/or teach. Which pays peanuts at Hopkins or U Maryland (research that is) about 20s, 30s. I've worked in the labs there years ago. You get more money as you publish more and get more known in your field. Hop over to industry, and boom, you should make a decent salary.

33 months ago

Amen to that brother, now if someone can now come up with a workable solution>>>

WStrobleRPh in Mount Holly, New Jersey

33 months ago

AllanRPh in Huntsville, Alabama said: Looking at my fellow RPh friends, One is a single mom in her 40s with a preschooler, she has been unable to find RPh work here in Alabama for 2 years now. She is on foodstamps and medicaid. She is a VERY good, compassionate RPH. Another friend is going back to school to be a nurse. Still, another is unable to find work and is relying on her husband's income. Dentists, optometrist, physicians...they all have solidarity. They look out for each other. We are a screwed work force, because we stab each other in the back. If you think you are immune, you are ignorant.

I have to comment on this!! I too am a single parent, my daughter is a senior in high school and hopes to go to college. I had to move in with my father because I have been unable to obtain a job as a pharmacist in NJ. Just today I received notification that although I was chosen as 6 out of 55 resumes to interview, the position has been given to a more qualified candidate! Its been 2 years for me as well. I know I have to apply for food stamps now!! Where do these people get off saying PharmD's are more qualified than an RPH with 20+ years experience?!! The PHARM D is one year of clinical experience in a chosen field!! Do I have to change my last name or what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

unemployedRPh in Huntsville, Alabama

33 months ago

John in Madison, New Jersey said: I find this whole discussion interesting. Don't forget Dentistry and Optometry...these are also good professions. It is really a shame that teaching is barely paid profession. I am encouraging two of my children to pursue dentistry...good hours, worthwhile work. My other son wants to be an aeronautical engineer and pilot. your thoughts....

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

Pharmacy is continuing to slowly dry up, now starting even in areas which historically have always had a shortage. Pharmacy is by far the weakest of the health professions, and unlike most of the others is not "hands on",such as Nursing and Physical Therapy. Constantly improving software, government cuts, and a plethora of technicians spell doom to most traditional pharmacy jobs. The only hope is using the education and experience to enter another realm. But, as for traditional "lick and stick" drug store pharmacy, mail order, and most hospital positions-FORGET IT!

PS-Consider Nursing! A nurse with the extensive education of a pharmacist will rise to the top

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

unemployedRPh in Huntsville, Alabama

33 months ago

PS-Consider Nursing! A nurse with the extensive education of a pharmacist will rise to the top

Definitely, gonna go nursing if I can't find a job within a year. But, I have always wanted to teach. Although, you can live well on a single teacher's salary. Or maybe, I'll just put on my smock, shirt, tie, and go down to McDonald's and flip burgers. That's where pharmacist's have come to in the USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Norco, California

33 months ago

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania said: I still have difficulty understanding that so many new pharmacists just don't get it--the pharmacy job market is failing thanks to the over-saturation of new graDUATES FROM THE MONEY HUNGRY SCHOOLS!
What does it take to wake up and smell the coffee? Pharmacy is bad and getting worse! Wait till you see what this year brings! The Chains giving big bucks to the Pharmacy schools has succeeded in making Pharmacists a dime a dozen! And yet so many are still too blind to see!!! See how benevolent and altruistic the chains will be treating their employees. If you think pharmacists didn't get much respect last year, Wait till next year!! When you are not in demand and can be replaced immediately, you have to learn to grovel on the ground!!

They figure it won't matter with all the money they figure they will be making.

andhow in Norco, California

33 months ago

PA SHMEE-A in Adrian, Michigan said: Not sure exactly what you are trying to say : The job market for pharmacists is not as great as you were led to beleive so become also a PA. Well as a PA , there are many opportunities but if money is what you want , it is not the field. In fact to all that are listening , if you are going into the HealthCare field for money--don't bother. It's not that you won't make a decent comfortable living -- just money is the wrong reason- its sounds like you job

I was actually more interested in the opportunity to see the concrete results of my intellectual investment in something. ie. change a med, 2 months later check a lab. And then there is learning, improving, oh yeah and jobs!

I would have gladly handed back $40,000/ year for a little professional camaraderie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey

33 months ago

I went to school for 5 years (grad 1988) and studied hard because I wanted to do something good, to HELP people. I sacrificed years of my life to become a pharmacist because I really cared. Since 2008, absolutely no jobs for pharmacists, only see technicians, clerks, and interns! Interns? Residents? REALLY?! I was told by a good source last year, that New Jersey had approximately 660 pharmacists over here on work visas! That's just NJ!!

How can WE, as pharmacists, find out how many of our jobs have been given to foreigners (tax breaks and less pay). I can't afford to send my kid to college, let alone myself at this point. Going back to college for nursing is not an option. Pharmacy is the first profession to be hit, next it will hit the nurses, doctors and so on. One way for the insurance (or government)companies to keep costs down if new healthcare policies adopted. The "men in suits" (the ones with the money and power)continue to fool the public. It's about time the public is made aware of this before its just too late. The entire healthcare industry will be replaced by people from other countries, who are paid less, went to schools that are not comparable to the United States standards and have different cultures. Diversity is good, but not when displacing good caring citizens living here! Some cultures place very low priorities on health care, when it comes to efficiency, safety, and therapeutics. Will it take something catastrophic to wake people up?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Melody Roach in Rogers, Arkansas said: As many people I see on meds, I don't think we will ever see a shortage of pharmacists.

MELODY, Do you really think we have nothing better to do than sit around making up false stories to deflect new students from entering pharmacy school!? I'm not even here about that! I am here because I have been unable to find a job as a retail or hospital pharmacist for 2 years. Maybe you say that because of where you live and you haven't been hit by this horrific state of unemployed pharmacists. Who are you to be so judgmental?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

IS anyone close friends with Michael Moore!?? A documentary would be good. Other than that what can I do to start making a difference? When I say I, that is me doing my part to be part of a bigger team, WE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

33 months ago

Hello everyone. I just wanted to give an update, I still have not found any pharmacist work in NJ, PA, or DE. I am still looking. My family is on EBT (a term used for food stamps). I feel such shame that I am unable to find work after all the years I put my family through for my education. I have a wife and baby to support and cannot even do so.

All the stories you read are true. The pharmacies nearby have cutback and gone barebones as much as possible over the past few months. A few grocery stores have closed and displaced pharmacists. A few independents were closed as well. I do not know how people are landing pharmacist jobs. The pharmacists I do know that had their own store are now being forced for float.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am all out at this point. I have exhausted every option I could. My loans are in economic deferment due to my lack of work. Becoming a pharmacist has been the worst decision of my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WONGJAMES1823@YAHOO.COM in Rowlett, Texas

33 months ago

MOST OF THE COMMENTS MAKE ON THIS POSTING ARE CORRECT.I HAVE BEEN IN PROFESSION FOR 36 YEARS,AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN A TIME AS HARD AS NOW TO LOOK FOR A JOB IN DALLAS MARKET.I RESIGN FROM WALMART 9 MONTHS AGO BECAUSE I WAS SICK AND STRESS OUT.I SEND OUT NUMEROUS APPLICATIONS DURING THIS 9 MONTHS.I HAVE HEARD NOT A SINGLE INTEREST.SUPPLY AND DEMAND DOES WORK,UNFORTUNATELY AGAINST THE PHARMACY PROFESSION.IT WILL GET WORST.FOR THOSE OF NEW GRADUATE WHO WERE OFFER JOB AND SAY HOW MUCH MONEY YOU MAKE,WAIT A LITTLE WHILE AND SEE HOW FUN IT IS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Escondido, California

33 months ago

PharmD in Frisco, Texas said: I just graduated from one of the new pharm schools, I had a job lined up upon graduation.

108K....counting pills paying bills

But still, you are in Frisco.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

happy in Johannesburg, South Africa

33 months ago

well guys in our country pharmacist are in demand and can jobs every month if want to or even work on my terms and conditions or do locums.
pharmacy its a dynamic field so you need to keep abreast with everything.
you guys are saying that out of all the fields ( retail , hospital,production and academic ) you cant find anything ?
coz from what i c its all old pharmacist 30+ complaining and reality is they becoming useless if you dont continue with education in this field and who wants to keep old useless ppl who are resistent to change for that matter .
if you guys failed in life dont blame it on pharmacy , u get a degreee and what you do with it its all in your hands n if you waiting for handouts good luck .
so guys do your research find out the reality on the situation ask a succesful pharmacist not a failure coz nothing better will come out of the

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

pooh in San Diego, California

33 months ago

happy in Johannesburg, South Africa said: well guys in our country pharmacist are in demand and can jobs every month if want to or even work on my terms and conditions or do locums.
pharmacy its a dynamic field so you need to keep abreast with everything.
you guys are saying that out of all the fields ( retail , hospital,production and academic ) you cant find anything ?
coz from what i c its all old pharmacist 30+ complaining and reality is they becoming useless if you dont continue with education in this field and who wants to keep old useless ppl who are resistent to change for that matter .
if you guys failed in life dont blame it on pharmacy , u get a degreee and what you do with it its all in your hands n if you waiting for handouts good luck .
so guys do your research find out the reality on the situation ask a succesful pharmacist not a failure coz nothing better will come out of the

1) it was quite hard to understand this post, but since you're in South Africa English is only one of the main languages, so it's forgivable.

2) that brings me to the point, you're in South Africa... these guys went through undergrad + professional school, had a bunch of loans, you think they would even think about going to South Africa to earn peanuts? (I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm just stating the truth, I'm willing to bet the salary of a pharmacist in South Africa is substantially lower than it is in the US).

3) The situation for every country is different, I think alot of the posters on here are from the US, and if it reflects anything, then it's just the situation in the US only... I have alot of friends going to pharmacy schools right now (about 10-15+, I lost count, i went to a top science school when I was an undergrad). I'm not sure how bad the situation really is, since I'm not in the field, however alot of my friends seems happy in pharmacy school (not sure if it's because they haven't graduated and tested the market).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

desperate rph in Boca Raton, Florida

33 months ago

i am out of work 3 months now,lost last job from indepenant that only wanted me to fill alot of high profit c2's.i value my license.i get sporatic work from the agencies,but not enough to live on.things are bad..i am depressed..no one is hiring or even acknowledging me..my license and background are clean..anyone out there have any info on where i should relocate...pharmacy has rewally hit it's low...thanx walgreens,cvs and pharmacy schools!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry

33 months ago

Have your tried applying for a pharmacy job at PUBLIX ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

611 in Pompano Beach, Florida

33 months ago

Larry said: Have your tried applying for a pharmacy job at PUBLIX ?

yes..they are not hiring!

scurred in San Diego, California

33 months ago

I'm a 4th year in college and I just applied to a bunch of pharmacy schools, and wow, after combing through this thread, you've got me seriously second-guessing my decision.

I really want to become a pharmacist because I really liked learning about biochemistry of drug interactions and the humanistic aspect of it (even with all the crazy patients.) Money's a factor but I don't have to be making the median $100k; that's really more than I need but I don't wan to be making chump change.

I had thought I'd try to go to a good PharmD program at a big research school, so that residencies would be easier to seek,and that I would like to specialize in nuclear pharmacy or gain a residency in clinical pharmacy.

Can any experienced pharmacists offer any predictions on what the job market is for pharmacists in the navy, in SF Bay Area, and in Canada in the next decade or so? and what about pharmacy specialties? do you think they will be just as impacted by the demand-for-pharmacist hoax? eg oncology pharmacists or nuclear pharmacists. b/c from this thread, it sounds like the PharmDs that are most impacted by the increase in pharmacy schools are the ones that went the retail route

is there anyone currently in/graduated from PharmD/PA programs that can tell me how it's affected his/her job hunt? is that extra PA degree really just for prescribing powers or can a PharmD/PA legitimately work as a PA in a doctor's office?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.