Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 880)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

norphjob in Boca Raton, Florida

35 months ago

just rAD ABOUT PROJECT 1 AND EDISON THAT WALGREENS IS DOING.......THINGS ARE REALLY GETTING WORSE....NOT ONLY RPHS BUT STORE MGT. ARE GOING GET CANNED ALSO....NOT A GOOD THING...THANS WASSON AND OBAMA!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Catie in Plano, Texas

35 months ago

I have been interested in pharmacy since highschool, and to be honest all of this negative discussion about the pharmacist job market is troubling. The issue I have with many of the noted arguements are that they seem to be based off either assumptions, or the person curses or uses incorrect spelling/grammar. If you want people to take your point that pharmacy is not the best line of work to enter right now; at least take the time to use real words that reflect the amount of intelligence needed to enter a good pharmacy school. For all those who commented with a seemingly unbias viewpoint with valid remarks (such as location regarding jobs), thank you I truly appreciate the information. I understand the point that the job market is considered bad, but look at other career fields in comparison right now; lawyers, multiple variety of jobs related to real estate and other business centered organizations are all suffering currently. Yes, medical school can be considered an alternative to pharmacy school, but can any of you prove or provide legitimate evidence that it would be wiser to enter medical school than pharmacy school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Dublin, Ireland

35 months ago

Catie in Plano, Texas said: I have been interested in pharmacy since highschool, and to be honest all of this negative discussion about the pharmacist job market is troubling. The issue I have with many of the noted arguements are that they seem to be based off either assumptions, or the person curses or uses incorrect spelling/grammar. If you want people to take your point that pharmacy is not the best line of work to enter right now; at least take the time to use real words that reflect the amount of intelligence needed to enter a good pharmacy school. For all those who commented with a seemingly unbias viewpoint with valid remarks (such as location regarding jobs), thank you I truly appreciate the information. I understand the point that the job market is considered bad, but look at other career fields in comparison right now; lawyers, multiple variety of jobs related to real estate and other business centered organizations are all suffering currently. Yes, medical school can be considered an alternative to pharmacy school, but can any of you prove or provide legitimate evidence that it would be wiser to enter medical school than pharmacy school?

The best and most appropriate course of action you can take is to gain first hand experience of what the practice of pharmacy is really like. Spend a few weeks in a busy community/retail dispensary, watch and listen to the pharmacist. This will inform you very quickly whether or not this career is for you. It will help you to contextualise the above comments from pharmacists. Do the same for hospital and industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rph4now in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

35 months ago

no no no no no jobs in Chicago, Illinois said: I will be selling drugs, in about a week, why should those gangbangers, AND CFO'S of WAGS. make all the money, why with all my post ed. ...why do I have to starve while these grammar school dropouts make ALL THE cash, tax-free, and bonuses. look out gov.org. you so long have not/don't care how much we have paid in blood,sweat and tears for our higher ed., now I know the rules...join (me and the others) we are going to scam and scram. all the way to the bank. HA. HA. HA

I'm in!!!! ALL THE WAY-tired of being screwed by the WAG "elite"...please tell me more.And by the way-the number one "RULE" is:There ARE NO RULES!!! "RULE" number two:See RULE NUMBER ONE!!!I am ready and waiting to "join"-AT ANY COST!And BTW-my "District Manager"(HA-HA) tells me that I'M the problem!!!!He gets a company car,makes $150,000/year,sits on his a** with no stress at all,makes his own hours(probably no more than 26-28 hours/week),has a WAG "company" credit card(I'm sure he never abuses it...), has the *alls to tell us how to practice pharmacy and got his "elite" position HOW??By STOCKING shelves of *hit for 3-5 years until he kissed enough *sses to land it by DEFAULT!!!OF COURSE HIS B.A. degree "trumps" a *ucking PROFESSIONAL DEGREE,i.e.RPh,Pharm D.PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

USCgrad2008 in Pasadena, California

35 months ago

Southern California is experiencing a dramatic change in our pharmacy profession. Hospitals are cutting pharmacist hours and now are considering cutting staff. Per Diem work is drying up. Hospitals are dealing with low patient census. Most hospitals are at half capacity. New government regulations are forcing hospitals to refuse admissions and encourage rapid discharges because they are not going to get reimbursed for their services.
Pharmacy schools are loading down new grads with $150,000-$200,000 in student loans. And the new interest rate is fixed at 8.5%. That payment is $2800/month x 10 years! After taxes and student loans.. a pharmacist brings home $3000/month. We are so willing to work because we cant afford not too. There are still jobs in areas no one wants to work or live... But soon those will be full and then the wages should start to fall... and then pharmacy schools will be opening online.. like they are in Florida... and then we will make 25k an year like our techs.
Its coming... do your research.. become a physicians assistant.. 100k/yr and no loans. I found this blog by trying to research what is going on.. why we are getting our hours cut and why the hospitals are so empty!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

thebigbang0011 in Burbank, California

35 months ago

USCgrad, where do you work if you don't mind me asking? Since you graduated in 2008 you should have a good job by now because that was still during the pharmacist shortage phase

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

id actually like to talk to you if u can email me thebigbang0011@gmail.com

kika in Tampa, Florida

35 months ago

I totaly agree with you, pharmacy it is changing drasticly, I'm a senior tech working in a major hospital, i was thinking pharmacy school but i realized I'm making 43k a year with no loans i think its a lot better than 110k with 150k worth of loans...

USCgrad2008 in Pasadena, California said: Southern California is experiencing a dramatic change in our pharmacy profession. Hospitals are cutting pharmacist hours and now are considering cutting staff. Per Diem work is drying up. Hospitals are dealing with low patient census. Most hospitals are at half capacity. New government regulations are forcing hospitals to refuse admissions and encourage rapid discharges because they are not going to get reimbursed for their services.
Pharmacy schools are loading down new grads with $150,000-$200,000 in student loans. And the new interest rate is fixed at 8.5%. That payment is $2800/month x 10 years! After taxes and student loans.. a pharmacist brings home $3000/month. We are so willing to work because we cant afford not too. There are still jobs in areas no one wants to work or live... But soon those will be full and then the wages should start to fall... and then pharmacy schools will be opening online.. like they are in Florida... and then we will make 25k an year like our techs.
Its coming... do your research.. become a physicians assistant.. 100k/yr and no loans. I found this blog by trying to research what is going on.. why we are getting our hours cut and why the hospitals are so empty!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

It was easy to get a job after my residency.. and the hours were readily available... I worked two jobs.. 50-60 hr weeks.. trying to make the payments on my loans and still have a life. But now things have changed. I am working 32-35hr weeks at my "full time" job and 20 hours every six weeks at my per Diem job.
Most other hospitals are in trouble too. I can name a few... but it would get me into trouble. But lets just say both my jobs laid ppl off last year... and this year they told us in a meeting that we need to cut the budget by 10%. I have friends in other hospitals in other cities.. the news is the same. The reimbursement rules are changing. Hospitals are getting leaner and meaner... the new schools opening up in california. I believe it is now 12 or 13 schools. Each graduating a class of 130-200 new grads every year. The old guys cant retired b/c their 401k was cut in half by the stock market collapse and the equity in their home is down at least 30-40%. Read the writing on the wall! There either is or soon will be a shortage of pharmacist jobs. Do something else with your life. I am thinking about going to PA school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

These are some of the changes that are coming to the field of pharmacy. If you are thinking about becoming a pharmacist you may want to look into this before you take the plunge. If you are a pharmacy student, you may want to look into a residency, fellowship or dual degree program.
*I am sure my recent graduate colleagues and my veteran pharmacist can attest the following is true...
Insurance companies are getting into the managed care business. They are offering incentive's for patients to get all of their medications through their mail order pharmacy. Fewer refills coming into your local pharmacy.
The pharmacy chain stores are lobbying your state board of pharmacy to change the pharmacist/technician ratio so that few pharmacist are needed to fill prescriptions. Large PBMs, hospitals, and government facilities are employing robots to fill scripts. (to the point that Kaiser has one pharmacist sitting at the end of a conveyor belt looking at a camera pointed into a filled bottle. He looks at the two photos and hits verify! 10,000 scripts a day!)
The government wants all the doctors to enter their own orders in the hospitals. Now you have 1 pharmacist reading all the entered orders and hitting verify. The meds are then made available via a remote medication dispensing machine on the floor. Currently pharmacists in Glendale can verify orders in 3 neighboring counties and the distant staff wont know the difference.
Graveyard shifts at multiple locations are all routed to a single pharmacist working remotely from his apartment. And then you add 1300 TO 2000 new California pharmacy grads every year, not to mention out of state grads returning home. It is about helping ppl.. but you need to worry about paying off your $160,000 to $200,000 loan. Everyone is out to turn this profession into a low tech job and you have the choice now to avoid a costly mistake! What will you do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

thebigbang0011 in Sunland, California

35 months ago

:(

35 months ago

And for those of you under the delusion that we will fill the void in Ambulatory Care... Let me remind you that Coumadin is dying! 5 cost effective alternatives will soon be standard of care for the previous indications occupied by Coumadin. And pharmacist run anti-coagulation clinics will go the way of the Dodo bird.
As for the other niches hoping to be occupied by a pharmacist... why would you pay someone $125k/yr to do something a nurse, nurse practitioner or trained technician will do for $60k/yr.
And for those of you that are so making a living dosing and monitor dangerous/toxic medications in the hospital... You know its coming... vanco monitoring is going to be gone as soon as daptomycin, linezolid, Tygacil and Teflaro go generic. Heparin & Coumadin dosing will be gone soon. Xeralto, pradaxa and many others are pushing their way into our lives. How many hospitals will need an entire team of clinical pharmacists?
How many pharmacist will be needed in the PIT area processing orders? Doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners will be entering all the orders themselves. When every floor has a Pyxis machine is full and ready for instant delivery.. how many spots will there be left for those of use looking for work. Desperate souls groveling for work any shift available... using the money to feed the student loan beast! A slave to the system. Healthcare is entering a new era. Big banks loaning money to students that gets transferred to Universities in exchange for a degree which might get us a job working for the insurance company's scarce dollars.. so that we can repay the banks with 8.5% interest! All in the name of helping the patients.
I am never coming on here again.. it makes me sad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former RX in Newport, Oregon

35 months ago

Glad I got out and joined the Army's Medical Core

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

usc2008, do you keep in contact with your classmates? what do they think about all of this?

35 months ago

hoapres - where is your proof that there was no shortage? i'm really curious because you seem to like conspiracies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

the concerned pharmacist in Orange, California

35 months ago

USCgrad2008 in Pasadena, California said: Southern California is experiencing a dramatic change in our pharmacy profession. Hospitals are cutting pharmacist hours and now are considering cutting staff. Per Diem work is drying up. Hospitals are dealing with low patient census. Most hospitals are at half capacity. New government regulations are forcing hospitals to refuse admissions and encourage rapid discharges because they are not going to get reimbursed for their services.

Very true and very disheartening!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hello 12 in Glasgow, United Kingdom

34 months ago

I have the FPGEE and just applied for five intern jobs in the past 3 weeks. I have received 5 interviews and have been offered all 5 jobs as very well paid interns positions. Now I have to choose which one.

I also own a herd of pigs, have just fed and watered them, fitted plastic wings to their backs and they are now ready to fly and fly.

I think the Pharmacy schools should now start printing the degree certificates on toilet paper because at least they will be able to be used for something useful then.

Pharmacy as a career is as dead as a DoDo :,-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rph_intheCorn in Fort Madison, Iowa

34 months ago

Jennie in Ireland said: remember the pharmacist is the first healthcare professional that people will come to seek advice from..a pharmacist should have pride in their knowledge and capacity to inform and advise. For those who think it more than pill counting, which it should be, they will succeed no matter what. and although a huge wage would be nice, it should not be the only reason to do a degree in something, one should have the aim of enhancing the profession, not belittling it

Thanks for your optimism in this climate of hopelessness. Pharmacy is indeed a great body of knowledge that we should each be proud of. For those who gave a thumbs down, read this again and see that she is just trying to aim for enhancing the profession.
Maybe there is a silver lining in the cloud!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny CPhT in Salt Lake City, Utah

34 months ago

OK So I work as a pharmacy tech and I really like it. I decided I wanted to go back to school to get a PharmD. The biggest reason for this is because my husband is 10 years older than me (I'm 35) and doesn't make a lot $$ (about 40K) and has no degree, and doesn't want to go back to school. We have 3 daughters (14, 12 & 10) and I would love to be able to pay for nice weddings, high school dances, cars, and of course their college education, and with me making $12 an hour (my CPhT rate after 1 year exp) and his salary, those things are going to be hard to provide. Anyway I am just starting out my 1st year of prereqs (chem, bio & math) and have already racked up about $4K in student loans. After reading this, to say I'm REALLY scared is an understatement. My husband says he has a friend who is a pharmaceutical rep and she told him the need for pharmacists is going to drastically rise, she told him something like 60,000 pharmacists needed. So he doesn't think I have any reason to worry, he thinks as soon as I graduate w/PharmD I'll have offers left and right. And to tell you the truth, I'm worried about even getting accepted because I only have about 3.2 GPA. I would try nursing, but I am very squeamish about blood and doubt I would even be able to give a shot. Am I screwed? Should I stick with it, or get out now and just keep plugging away as a tech @25K a year? (For that matter I also have med transcription exp and I can make $13-15 an hour doing that staying home, but the reason I decided to get a CPhT is because again with automation ever increasing, MT's are also becoming obsolete, replaced by "medical editors" who are 75% of the time from out of the US, working for about half the pay rate. :(((

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

IIIIII in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

^ get into becoming a physician assistant before you screw yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pharmacistbyday in Fort Worth, Texas

34 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in absecon, New Jersey said: You cannot get a job in pharmacy unless you have a pharmd and clinical experience.I really want to get into the federal govnt working short term gigs but I cannot seem to it is worse than finding a retail job in NJ.The only way to get these Federal jobs is go through an agency and that is the pits.The agency never calls back and once they hear you have no experience they drop you like a hot potatoe.If someone knows how to get a travelling Federal job please tell me

Nonsense. I have a BS degree in Pharmacy and have worked closed door pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with no problems

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey

34 months ago

pharmacistbyday in Fort Worth, Texas said: Nonsense. I have a BS degree in Pharmacy and have worked closed door pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with no problems

Hey pharmacistbyday,
Have you recently lived in New Jersey to claim "Nonsense"? I think not! Texas still has many pharmacists jobs open, but this is not so in New Jersey. The RX Insider is rubbish, never have I ever received a response from posted websites and jobs. I live in NJ and have 13 years experience in retail, 6 hospital and 10 pharmaceutical industry in medical information/communication. I've been looking and begging for a job for over a year now. NOTHiNG, NADDA, ZILCH. And by the way, this has nothing to do with anyone going to pharmacy school or whatever. I'm in this forum because I can't find a job. Hoping someone has good information and insight that i can use.
useless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1968 charger in Princeton, Minnesota

34 months ago

I live in MN. Job market here is also bad. I have worked hospital, retail, and ltc over the years. Have been at it for 20 years now. Things have changed and not for the better. I think the PBMs were the first tough blow to our profession. Economic decline (crash) in 2008 and the increase in grads has put pharmacy in a game changing position. Pay has already declined and work conditions in retail are not good. My last shift I worked 12 hours on my feet without a break. I will only be paid for 10 of those hours as well. to bring forward to mgmt would result in losing my job. I have already started to look for another career. 46 years old makes that a challenge. One of my children showed an interest in pharmacy. I will not allow it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

ladybug in Evergreen Park, Illinois

33 months ago

We really need to start thinking outside the box. Can you imagine what pharmacy is going to be like if pharmacists are not filling the prescriptions. The pharmacy is completely run by techs. It could happen from the looks of things. What are the pharmacists going to be doing? Pharmacists will be working in doctors' offices. Pharmacists will get the diagnosis from the docs and come up with a medication plan, write the prescriptions and hand it to the patient. The patient will take it to the corner drugstore and it will be filled by techs. Of course the techs will then have heightened responsibilities. They will have to start carrying liability insurance for the mistakes they will make. Techs will have to learn more about the medicine than they know now. The drug interactions will be caught by pharmacists before the script is even written. In hospitals, the pharmacists wont be in the pharmacy, they will be making rounds with doctors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Eddie101 in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

ladybug in Evergreen Park, Illinois said: We really need to start thinking outside the box. Can you imagine what pharmacy is going to be like if pharmacists are not filling the prescriptions. The pharmacy is completely run by techs. It could happen from the looks of things. What are the pharmacists going to be doing? Pharmacists will be working in doctors' offices. Pharmacists will get the diagnosis from the docs and come up with a medication plan, write the prescriptions and hand it to the patient.

Really...And then you woke up? Not to be sarcastic about your dreams and hopes but this will never happen. Realistically, this is not in the cards, my fellow pharmacist. Doctors will continue to make the drug decisions and pharmacists simply won't exist in the future. They will be replaced by automation..so sad but true. We all just need to re-train and learn a new skill because a PharmD, in this day and age, is like the horse and buggy. We all know the horse and buggy were replaced by cars. Re-train and get started on a new career! I hope I'm wrong but this seems to be the trend, my friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JulieSyn in New York, New York

33 months ago

Has anyone heard about UCSF's robotic pharmacy? It looks like it gets rid of a lot of subspecialties within pharmacy: clinical pharmacist, nuclear pharmacist, oncology pharmacist and if adjusted could also easily replace retail pharmacists.

Look at this link with video of the robot:
medgadget.com/2011/03/a_look_at_ucsfs_robotic_pharmacist.html

Some say it will "change" the role of pharmacists as they would focus more on talking to patients about their meds instead...seems a little redundant. (nurses/doctors already do that without the added "expense" of pharmacist, right) I don't know, what does everyone think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

WONGJAMES1823@YAHOO.COM in Rowlett, Texas

33 months ago

IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE ARTICLE-LOOKS LIKE OUR WHOLE SO CALL PROFESSION IS BEING REPLACED.IMAGINE WHAT THE CHAINS WITH A LITTLE ADJUSTMENT,CAN CUT THE 100000 DOLLARS SALARY OF A CHECKER.LOOKING WORST THEN EVER FOR THIS FIELD AS MORE AND MORE KIDS ARE GRADUATING.WHERE ARE THE JOBS AND JUSTIFICATION FOR THE SALARY AS OF NOW ?WHEN AUTOMATION AND TECHS ARE PLAYING MORE AND MORE ROLE IN THE DISPENSING AREA.WHO REALLY NEEDS US,MAYBE CHAINS WILL EMPLOY ONE PHARMACIST PER 14 SHIFTS TO FILL 500 PRESCRIPTIONS SINCE OUR PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION ARE STANDING FOR US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nadzzzzz in North Brunswick, New Jersey

33 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

you're very sweet. i just got into pharmacy school and everything i have been reading really scared me.. thank you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Lake Elsinore, California

33 months ago

nadzzzzz in North Brunswick, New Jersey said: you're very sweet. i just got into pharmacy school and everything i have been reading really scared me.. thank you :)

Read the very first post in this string. I wouln't take comfort in that old broken record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lookin very hard in Boca Raton, Florida

33 months ago

pharmacistbyday in Fort Worth, Texas said: Nonsense. I have a BS degree in Pharmacy and have worked closed door pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with no problems

ok...are there any jobs available where you work?

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey

33 months ago

I have been begging for work for months. I will take ANY pharmacist job out there. there isnt anything. I have spoken with recruiters. Please someone help me get work. I will work any shift, any holiday, in the ghetto, whatever it takes. Please hire me if you can or offer suggestions. I live in NJ just outside of Philadelphia. I have been looking for work in NJ, PA, NY, and DE for a year. I apply to any and every pharmacist posting there is.

Avoid this profession if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

33 months ago

Michael I recently had to leave a job( in the Shore area) it was part time but the management was wonderful and i really enjoyed the job. The company was kmart if you go to the website look for an opening around the Wildwood/Rio Grande area. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: I have been begging for work for months. I will take ANY pharmacist job out there. there isnt anything. I have spoken with recruiters. Please someone help me get work. I will work any shift, any holiday, in the ghetto, whatever it takes. Please hire me if you can or offer suggestions. I live in NJ just outside of Philadelphia. I have been looking for work in NJ, PA, NY, and DE for a year. I apply to any and every pharmacist posting there is.

Avoid this profession if you can.

me too!!ill go anywhere!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: Michael I recently had to leave a job( in the Shore area) it was part time but the management was wonderful and i really enjoyed the job. The company was kmart if you go to the website look for an opening around the Wildwood/Rio Grande area. Good luck

hardwrkrph do you have any names or people I can contact directly? I went to the website but there was no job posted. Is there any way I can contact you directly? Thank you!!!!!

I cannot tell you how difficult this is.

33 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: hardwrkrph do you have any names or people I can contact directly? I went to the website but there was no job posted. Is there any way I can contact you directly? Thank you!!!!!

I cannot tell you how difficult this is.

yes you can,i'm in the same boat...clean record and clean background and noone wants me!!!

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

Hi,
I have a need for a hospital experienced pharmacist with a NY license. Must have Hospital experience. This is a contract to perm position. The hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. The rate isn't glamorous, but you can't bee the hours. If qualified and interested, please forward me a resume via my email address at iinokon@AmherstHealthcare (dot) com

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hi,
I have a need for a hospital experienced pharmacist with a NY license. Must have Hospital experience. This is a contract to perm position. The hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. The rate isn't glamorous, but you can't bee the hours. If qualified and interested, please forward me a resume via my email address at iinokon@AmherstHealthcare (dot) com

I meant to say that you can't beat the hours! Sorry for the typo:)

Dada in Largo, Florida

32 months ago

About 30 years ago,that would be in about 1980, the retail phamacy organizations imagined a major expansion in pharmacies as major players expanded. Clinical organizations viewed also a major expansion in new and imagined clinical roles for pharmacist. In response schools increased, programs increased and the push was on. Advance 30 years to 2010. The recession stopped the planned massive expansion, and retail organizations are shrinking and jobs are just not there. Introduce technology and mail order and machines filling most prescriptions. The clinical options are just not in the order first thought. Thus hospitals have no interest in training retail pharmacists and little interest in new graduates, and in fact there are not jobs for new graduates. Today is a new world in pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Farmacist in Burlington, Iowa

32 months ago

Dada in Largo, Florida said: About 30 years ago,that would be in about 1980, the retail phamacy organizations imagined a major expansion in pharmacies as major players expanded. Clinical organizations viewed also a major expansion in new and imagined clinical roles for pharmacist. In response schools increased, programs increased and the push was on. Advance 30 years to 2010. The recession stopped the planned massive expansion, and retail organizations are shrinking and jobs are just not there. Introduce technology and mail order and machines filling most prescriptions. The clinical options are just not in the order first thought. Thus hospitals have no interest in training retail pharmacists and little interest in new graduates, and in fact there are not jobs for new graduates. Today is a new world in pharmacy.

Clinical Pharmacy has not progressed. Why? Is it because you cannot separate diagnosis and prescribing? Maybe that is why NP's and PA's can prescribe. Medicine does not want PharmD's for clinical consultations unless it is quick and free. The natural place for a clinical drug consultant would be a medical clinic. Instead, medical specialties hire RN's to run clinics, and they are the ones who gain special drug knowledge in their field. Maybe nurse wages play a large part. Today's PharmD has no more authority than any BS RPh from 30 years ago.

If you want to practice in a clinical setting, pick a different field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Can I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician if I am a licensed pharmacist? I cannot get a job as a pharmacist so maybe a job as a technician again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: Can I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician if I am a licensed pharmacist? I cannot get a job as a pharmacist so maybe a job as a technician again?

if you do AND YOU GET HIRED,LET US KNOW...MAYBE THERE IS SOME HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NewPharm222 in Washington, District of Columbia

32 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: Can I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician if I am a licensed pharmacist? I cannot get a job as a pharmacist so maybe a job as a technician again?

You can but there are a few legal issues because you have to have a pharmacy tech license. If your tech license is still active I guess it won't be a problem. It also depends on what your state allows. I have applied for some but no luck. As the person above me said, let us know if you get one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Pharmacy job market will take another jolt in June as hordes of new pharmacists swell the ranks, fresh from the money hungry schools! We have not seen the end of the saturation. Dinosaur Pharmacists over 45 watch out! New and agile job hungry youngsters will be on your tail!! Better learn how to speed up or ship out!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

32 months ago

i cannot find anything still. i checked on the work as a pharmacy tech and that is a no go apparently.

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

32 months ago

This is really a bad comment one day youll be a "dinosaur pharmacist" so what exactly do you think youll do? We have several new graduates that cannot find jobs so being a fresh new pharmacist does mean employers will be panting for your arrival.Dont you think we should all be working together to secure the future for everyone instead being so callous to focus on one segment of the pharmacy population(ie new graduates)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

i am with you hardwrk. are you on facebook? us NJ folk should try to work together.

hangv001 in Katy, Texas

32 months ago

Hi, i'm currently a freshman in college and will be graduating in 2016. Will there be any need for pharmacists in the houston, TX area 6 years from now or should i switch to medicine or nursing. Please help me because i don't want to waste my hard earn money on pharmacy school. Also, what about speech therapist, is there any shortage for that? If it helps, i've taken ASL for 3 years and know alot about deaf culture, i do not want to become an interpreter though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LetsMakeItWork in New Providence, New Jersey

32 months ago

Hello, please follow this blog. I am a new graduate myself and I would like to find a solution to this issue. If anyone is interested in ideas for collaboration, please let me know. Maybe we could redefine what pharmacists do. www.tumblr.com/blog/pharmacistjobsearch

iowa hawk in San Angelo, Texas

32 months ago

hangv001 in Katy, Texas said: Hi, i'm currently a freshman in college and will be graduating in 2016. Will there be any need for pharmacists in the houston, TX area 6 years from now or should i switch to medicine or nursing. Please help me because i don't want to waste my hard earn money on pharmacy school. Also, what about speech therapist, is there any shortage for that? If it helps, i've taken ASL for 3 years and know alot about deaf culture, i do not want to become an interpreter though.

Hi HangV001,
Well I graduated in 2010 from the university of Iowa. Go Hawks. I wanted to work retail since all I have been doing was hospital/interned at the VA medical center. I was willing to relocate to either Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, or texas. I applied and I got job offers from iowa, illinois, and texas from various pharmacy chains, and grociers.

I got a offer in Tx I couldn't refuse with a sign on bonus and relocation bonus. I also got sign on bonus offers from other companies in illinois and iowa. I'm not a person who switches jobs often, I love stability so I researched the companies benefits and picked the one that I wanted to retire with, 'hopefully', in the end.

I like mid size and small towns. Thankfully most jobs are in rural/growing areas. I got a job in a mid size town. My g/f who followed me also got a job at the hospital here as a pharmacist, she was also a new grad, she got hired because she is a hard worker and showed to her employer she goes above and beyond--they have never hired a new grad before and she told me they have an additional spot open but have turned down a lot of new grads applying because of bad interviewing and not professional and arrogant. She learned quickly and does a great job, now to my next point....

My g/f is a city girl. She wants to move to a big city. I agreed to move to houston after my contract. Moving all the way to a small-mid size town of humble and polite people has many benefits. part 1/2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

iowa hawk in San Angelo, Texas

32 months ago

Hi HangV001,
Well I graduated in 2010 from the university of Iowa. Go Hawks. I wanted to work retail since all I have been doing was hospital/interned at the VA medical center. I was willing to relocate to either Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, or texas. I applied and I got job offers from iowa, illinois, and texas from various pharmacy chains, and grociers.

I got a offer in Tx I couldn't refuse with a sign on bonus and relocation bonus. I also got sign on bonus offers from other companies in illinois and iowa. I'm not a person who switches jobs often, I love stability so I researched the companies benefits and picked the one that I wanted to retire with, 'hopefully', in the end.

I like mid size and small towns. Thankfully most jobs are in rural/growing areas. I got a job in a mid size town. My g/f who followed me also got a job at the hospital here as a pharmacist, she was also a new grad, she got hired because she is a hard worker and showed to her employer she goes above and beyond--they have never hired a new grad before and she told me they have an additional spot open but have turned down a lot of new grads applying because of bad interviewing and not professional and arrogant. She learned quickly and does a great job, now to my next point....

My g/f is a city girl. She wants to move to a big city. I agreed to move to houston after my contract. Moving all the way to a small-mid size town of humble and polite people has many benefits. part 1/2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.