Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 814)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

scurred in San Diego, California

28 months ago

I'm a 4th year in college and I just applied to a bunch of pharmacy schools, and wow, after combing through this thread, you've got me seriously second-guessing my decision.

I really want to become a pharmacist because I really liked learning about biochemistry of drug interactions and the humanistic aspect of it (even with all the crazy patients.) Money's a factor but I don't have to be making the median $100k; that's really more than I need but I don't wan to be making chump change.

I had thought I'd try to go to a good PharmD program at a big research school, so that residencies would be easier to seek,and that I would like to specialize in nuclear pharmacy or gain a residency in clinical pharmacy.

Can any experienced pharmacists offer any predictions on what the job market is for pharmacists in the navy, in SF Bay Area, and in Canada in the next decade or so? and what about pharmacy specialties? do you think they will be just as impacted by the demand-for-pharmacist hoax? eg oncology pharmacists or nuclear pharmacists. b/c from this thread, it sounds like the PharmDs that are most impacted by the increase in pharmacy schools are the ones that went the retail route

is there anyone currently in/graduated from PharmD/PA programs that can tell me how it's affected his/her job hunt? is that extra PA degree really just for prescribing powers or can a PharmD/PA legitimately work as a PA in a doctor's office?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

miami in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

I think the armed forces is pretty full. I applied to the army in May to help repay loans. I completed all the paperwork, went in for the physical and everything. Called them several times thereafter. And luckily found a job floating all over the place. Last I heard they were going to call me a month ago. Oh well, by the time they contact me I will have paid a quarter of my loan or more.

I received a call about a position with CVS mailorder through a staffing company. This is like the third call. I pretended like I didnt have a job, just to see what theyd offer. They staffer said 48-50 an hour. I said that I wasnt interested due to the low salary and she promptly hung up the phone. LOL Salary is going down, down, down- too bad the interest on my loans isnt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lookin very hard in Boca Raton, Florida

28 months ago

miami in Miami, Florida said: I think the armed forces is pretty full. I applied to the army in May to help repay loans. I completed all the paperwork, went in for the physical and everything. Called them several times thereafter. And luckily found a job floating all over the place. Last I heard they were going to call me a month ago. Oh well, by the time they contact me I will have paid a quarter of my loan or more.

I received a call about a position with CVS mailorder through a staffing company. This is like the third call. I pretended like I didnt have a job, just to see what theyd offer. They staffer said 48-50 an hour. I said that I wasnt interested due to the low salary and she promptly hung up the phone. LOL Salary is going down, down, down- too bad the interest on my loans isnt.

where did you get the floater job??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

where did you geet the floater job,miami??

miami in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

lookin very hard in Boca Raton, Florida said: where did you geet the floater job,miami??

Navarro, the little spanish I know finally paid off. I just saw posts for Walgreens on career builder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

miami in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

Navarro Pharmacy, the little spanish I know finally paid off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

how nmuch is littkle spanish??? also,do they have any more positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

28 months ago

HelpingYouHire in San Francisco, California said: We are a staffing agency located in the Bay Area and we get calls frequently from potential clients (Nationwide) looking for Pharmacists and Techs, so I'm surprised by the unemployment spoken of here. I'd like to try and help "miami in Miami". A client of mine was looking for..."Full Time Overnight Pharmacist Position open, as well as a 4pm - 12 midnight Full Time Pharmacist position South West miami location for both - We'd like to see Pharmacist that come within 25 miles of this area. Zip codes are: 33134 and 33173" The company is Navarro Discount Pharmacies. Good Luck!

Helping You Hire
staffing-solutions.biz

staffing services won't help people who are unemployed or who are too 'old' (older than your typical recent college grad). there is ALOT of discrimination practiced by 'staffing agencies' and they will blacklist you if they don't like you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

28 months ago

staffing services won't help people who are unemployed or who are too 'old' (older than your typical recent college grad). there is ALOT of discrimination practiced by 'staffing agencies' and they will blacklist you if they don't like you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

well..the new year is here...has anyone's situation change for the better...as of now,mine has goten worse!!!!!

mwa in Dedham, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Worried in Wallingford, Connecticut said: I am a Pre-pharm student set to graduate in 2016. Should I get out while I can? Where can I go???

I would like some advice from working pharmacists.

If you don't want to be an MD, go into nursing. They are the firefighters of health care - ie, the recognized heroes. There is some gratification in that. Hospitl staff pharmacy feels like the back room in an accounting office - you will hear about it if you screw up but you will never get a thank you from anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

enticer in Boynton Beach, Florida

27 months ago

lookin very hard in Boca Raton, Florida said: well..the new year is here...has anyone's situation change for the better...as of now,mine has goten worse!!!!!

Hope you have a better new year. This helped me, see:
scrips4lesscard.com

uselessRPhinNJ in Alexandria, Virginia

27 months ago

Wish I could say yes!! Apparently the job in Trenton NJ is inappropriate for me based on location. Lol That is a first for me... especially since never met the owner or saw store. Its the usual for me I guess. Not the right sex, color, ethnicity or last name! Who the heck knows anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

27 months ago

I dont know what to tell you but your not a useless pharmacist and I wish you wouldnt use that as your title. Im sitting in a motel in the midwest hoping that a 3 month gig will stretch out to 1 year so I can survive. I graduated pharmacy school 89 and the only position I got was on call(which I had to beg for hours believe me im not proud) and a temp job. What has happen to our field??? Im from New Jersey also but I realise I cannot live there any longer if I wanted to be able to eat or not freeze in the dark. Im hoping this situation will pan out or Im doom but I really need you to keep the faith NotuselessRPhinNJ I know something good is going happen in 2012

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

RayofLight in Sparta, New Jersey

27 months ago

@MichaelPharmD
I am currently a PharmD Student at Rutgers. I find it hard to believe the difficulty you are having finding a job when there are job postings on every board at Rutgers in the Pharm Building, not to mention the three different job offers I have received as a third year who still has many months until licensure. A suggestion a professor made to my class for those who wanted to be competitive was to become an EMT or to work for a Volunteer Ambulance Squad. You may want to contact your town's squad to inquire. This would certainly put you apart from the application stack in a positive way. Also, you may want to maintain CPR certification as well as Immunization Certification to be desirable. Also, to create rapport with a hospital of interest, why not volunteer? Create a contact through volunteering and go through them. Don't just sit and fill out applications online. However, you also may want to update your recommendations, requesting only positive comments.

Also, have you contacted the pharmacy job recruiter at your school? or the person in charge of assigning rotations? There are over 3,000 sites for us students to go on in NJ. I find it hard to believe NONE are hiring.

I am sorry for your situation, however the future is not doom and gloom as long as you are WILLING to adapt with the current career practices and use your resources wisely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey

27 months ago

I don't understand why pharmacists with a job are reading this forum and even more importantly why they think they have the right to put their SNOTTY comments here when they obviously have no clue what its like being unable to find work. Hope their judgmental attitudes don't carry over to their patients and customers. Its what gives our profession bad name.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama

27 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

From the article in Drug Topics:

According to Robert L. Day, PharmD, associate dean, University of California San Francisco School of Pharmacy, the number of pharmacy schools across the United States increased by 50% between 2000 and 2010 (Figure 1). During that time, the U.S. population increased by 9.7%.

Figure 2: Pharmacy school graduation trends

Predictions by the Census Bureau and the American Academy of Colleges of Pharmacy suggest that between 2010 and 2013, the country's total population will grow by 12.6%, from 281.4 million to 316.9 million. Over that same period, the number of pharmacy graduates will grow by 82%, from 7,300 to 13,247 (Figure 2).

That kind of growth comes as no surprise. Cameron noted that pharmacy schools have been gearing up to meet the projected demand for pharmacists in 2014, when most provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act take effect.

"My gut feeling is that the assumptions behind the surveys schools did to project the need for MTM (medication therapy management) and other services in 2014 are no longer valid," Cameron said. "It will never be implemented in anything like the form it was passed in. We are not going to need the number of pharmacists predicted. Schools of pharmacy were banking on MTM. It's a wonderful service, but it was oversold."

27 months ago

From the Drug Topics Article:

According to Robert L. Day, PharmD, associate dean, University of California San Francisco School of Pharmacy, the number of pharmacy schools across the United States increased by 50% between 2000 and 2010 (Figure 1). During that time, the U.S. population increased by 9.7%.

Figure 2: Pharmacy school graduation trends

Predictions by the Census Bureau and the American Academy of Colleges of Pharmacy suggest that between 2010 and 2013, the country's total population will grow by 12.6%, from 281.4 million to 316.9 million. Over that same period, the number of pharmacy graduates will grow by 82%, from 7,300 to 13,247 (Figure 2).

That kind of growth comes as no surprise. Cameron noted that pharmacy schools have been gearing up to meet the projected demand for pharmacists in 2014, when most provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act take effect.

"My gut feeling is that the assumptions behind the surveys schools did to project the need for MTM (medication therapy management) and other services in 2014 are no longer valid," Cameron said. "It will never be implemented in anything like the form it was passed in. We are not going to need the number of pharmacists predicted. Schools of pharmacy were banking on MTM. It's a wonderful service, but it was oversold."

27 months ago

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey said: I don't understand why pharmacists with a job are reading this forum and even more importantly why they think they have the right to put their SNOTTY comments here when they obviously have no clue what its like being unable to find work. Hope their judgmental attitudes don't carry over to their patients and customers. Its what gives our profession bad name.

Some of these posts are fakers, done to just get a rise out of people who are playing things straight.
The chains and schools made the surplus happen. They knew and know what they are doing. They simply do not care.

drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Associations/Pharmacist-surplus-Too-much-manpower/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/726723

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

Yes pharmacists are liars

drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Associations/Pharmacist-surplus-Too-much-manpower/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/726723

27 months ago

lynn in Rockville, Maryland said: This is the same statement that was stated before so what I think you are doing is using a new name,the question is why are you doing this??

The reason these people use different names is because they can not read articles like this..

27 months ago

ales in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I am moving to Tx next yr to attend the Texas Tech school of Pharmacy. I just graduated with a business degree and will be hired at Walgreens as a manager (great idea, automatic job once I become a pharmacist) Dallas seems to be where it's at there are nothing but jobs in just about any field. I believe it's all in where you go. From these comments...the East Coast isnt the place to be

For your reading pleasure...

Yes it's all there for you....

27 months ago

finefarmacist in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: I shiver at this !! that is so scary man! after all those yrs studying ur a@s off!! not to menyion the sacrifices along the way.

Shiver

27 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: I dont know what to tell you but your not a useless pharmacist and I wish you wouldnt use that as your title. Im sitting in a motel in the midwest hoping that a 3 month gig will stretch out to 1 year so I can survive. I graduated pharmacy school 89 and the only position I got was on call(which I had to beg for hours believe me im not proud) and a temp job. What has happen to our field??? Im from New Jersey also but I realise I cannot live there any longer if I wanted to be able to eat or not freeze in the dark. Im hoping this situation will pan out or Im doom but I really need you to keep the faith NotuselessRPhinNJ I know something good is going happen in 2012

as of right now..it's only getting worse!!!!!

Unemployed rph in Vernon Rockville, Connecticut

27 months ago

I have applied for over 300 jobs in the last 3 months and have had 5 interviews. I am willing to relocate but all I was able to fine was per diem work in Miami dispensing oxycodone for cash. I had no control , owner who was non rph had total control the hust needed a rph to open. Not my idea of pharmacy so I back among the unemployed with no hope in sight.

Hameed Malik in Garland, Texas

27 months ago

My humble advice to mankind is that immediately get out of the Pharmacy market and look into either, Nursing or other occupational therapist jobs, PA, Nurse practitioner or in Medicine.
My personal desire and interest lies in Nutrition and Physical exercise but that does not pay much but it will give me great satisfaction and peace of mind. I like to get to the roots of health problems those are , entire food system, lack of organic food, dangerous agriculture techniques, polluted water and environment, meat and fish industry, basic lack of nutrition’s, Final word of wisdom is that get out of the Pharmacy ASASP because computerization, explosion of Internet, robots replacing humans, job transfers to cheaper labor countries, and utilizing of internet to employ foreign intellectuals by multinational profit oriented corporations will pose the greatest threat to almost all the industries plus lack of daily exercise, environmental hazards, additives and preservatives in food, fertilizers, chemical sprays, pollutions, sedentary life, stress and tension, negativity, break up of family unit, human to human relation and connection with loved ones, , lack of dependence on God and faith for hearing of your prayers etc.
Each of these fields have own specialty field in education and good job openings. So those lines will also be good for future jobs provided you enjoy any of those

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Dublin, Ireland

27 months ago

Similar situation here in Ireland. Salaries are actually down anywhere from 30 to 50% of retail pharmacists due largely to draconian cuts in government reimbursement but also a influx of foreign trained pharmacists and a significantly increased domestic supply of graduates.

Brian in Dublin, Ireland

27 months ago

Same situation in Ireland. Oversupply of foreign and domestic graduates, significantly reduced reimbursement from the government culminating in a salary drop of 30-50% in some cases.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Brian in Dublin, Ireland said: Similar situation here in Ireland. Salaries are actually down anywhere from 30 to 50% of retail pharmacists due largely to draconian cuts in government reimbursement but also a influx of foreign trained pharmacists and a significantly increased domestic supply of graduates.

Worldwide trouble ahead.... and yes it is planned for us peasants....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd-SLRyuRq0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY1EcCUu5nw

People will earn less of what we call money, PLUS stuff will become more expensive
fuel, food, and expect shortages in medicines... In fact Google "Drug Shortages"
Just like they( the banker elite ) basically screwed the entire planet. People better get thier proverbial "s_ _ T" together because were getting sh-tt-ed on now and will be sh-t on more in the future. To those pharmacists who are "waiting"... just get out there and get a job don't wait for your old salaries to come back because you are wasting your time. If you get a pharmacist full time job with all the bells and whistles, GOOD for you ! but like a game of musical chairs as the surplus increases the large corporate employers will continue to push average wages down by exploiting the underemployed pharmacists against the fully employed ones. We were told we needed 300 THOUSAND new pharmacist's in 2008...
What will we be told next... up is down, black is white, and hate really means to love less... University Deans are as crooked as the politicians who appoint them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pwnttothemax in Columbus, Ohio

27 months ago

older pharmacists: stop being wusses and get with the program. maybe the recession has finally hit our field. use this opportunity to make yourself more attractive to the job market. imagine if every profession whined this much and tried to regulate the amount of people who could go into a field. there would simply not be jobs for anyone. problem solved? DERP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

desperate rph in Boca Raton, Florida

27 months ago

pwnttothemax in Columbus, Ohio said: older pharmacists: stop being wusses and get with the program. maybe the recession has finally hit our field. use this opportunity to make yourself more attractive to the job market. imagine if every profession whined this much and tried to regulate the amount of people who could go into a field. there would simply not be jobs for anyone. problem solved? DERP

got any suggestions if noone even wants to talk to us older pharmacists???/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Moreno Valley, California

27 months ago

desperate rph in Boca Raton, Florida said: got any suggestions if noone even wants to talk to us older pharmacists???/

I would say they just fell of the turnip truck. Sometimes people who feel helpless in their own lives choose to abuse others. One of my customers shouted out at the register in reference to a co worker "She is stupid! She should not be working here!" and I replied "Ma'am stupid people have to work too. We can't just leave them to the system to deal w/!" Wooooopse!

puttinontheritz in columbus OHIO! says:

" imagine if every profession whined this much and tried to regulate the amount of people who could go into a field. there would simply not be jobs for anyone. problem solved? DERP"

You are like the parent on Charlie Brown! We hear you talking but you are not making any sense! Offer something of substance like a link to a certification program. Or share what you are doing so that when your time comes to be old you won't have to resort to whining! What are you going to do in the next 15 yrs that will make em stand up and say "hey this old codger can hold his own! Let's get him/her in here!" ? I guarantee we won't be impressed.

RE: DERP
In your professional communications you should always enclose abbreviations in parenthesis directly after spelling out the full meaning the first time it is used.

27 months ago

Be Reasonable, Be POLITE!! Lucky for you this is only a forum. You wouldn't say a word if this were face to face meeting. The internet gives young people such foolish bravery as they hide behind their computer. We don't care what you have to say, so stop making a fool of yourself. I hope I never meet you in person. You will know it if I do. Go back to your Face-Book, U-Tube and My Space pages ... stay out of here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

The above comment RE: DERP... Obviously you need to grow up and learn some manners. I hope your words come back to personally bite you in the britches. Such false bravery hidden behind your little computer as all the young kids do these days. Most likely an insecure immature loser who has nothing better to do than read forums about pharmacists without jobs. Go back to your facebook, u-tube and my space sites and leave us alone. Sad how this profession has gone down the tubes because of such attitudes.

norphjob in Boca Raton, Florida

27 months ago

just rAD ABOUT PROJECT 1 AND EDISON THAT WALGREENS IS DOING.......THINGS ARE REALLY GETTING WORSE....NOT ONLY RPHS BUT STORE MGT. ARE GOING GET CANNED ALSO....NOT A GOOD THING...THANS WASSON AND OBAMA!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Catie in Plano, Texas

27 months ago

I have been interested in pharmacy since highschool, and to be honest all of this negative discussion about the pharmacist job market is troubling. The issue I have with many of the noted arguements are that they seem to be based off either assumptions, or the person curses or uses incorrect spelling/grammar. If you want people to take your point that pharmacy is not the best line of work to enter right now; at least take the time to use real words that reflect the amount of intelligence needed to enter a good pharmacy school. For all those who commented with a seemingly unbias viewpoint with valid remarks (such as location regarding jobs), thank you I truly appreciate the information. I understand the point that the job market is considered bad, but look at other career fields in comparison right now; lawyers, multiple variety of jobs related to real estate and other business centered organizations are all suffering currently. Yes, medical school can be considered an alternative to pharmacy school, but can any of you prove or provide legitimate evidence that it would be wiser to enter medical school than pharmacy school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Dublin, Ireland

27 months ago

Catie in Plano, Texas said: I have been interested in pharmacy since highschool, and to be honest all of this negative discussion about the pharmacist job market is troubling. The issue I have with many of the noted arguements are that they seem to be based off either assumptions, or the person curses or uses incorrect spelling/grammar. If you want people to take your point that pharmacy is not the best line of work to enter right now; at least take the time to use real words that reflect the amount of intelligence needed to enter a good pharmacy school. For all those who commented with a seemingly unbias viewpoint with valid remarks (such as location regarding jobs), thank you I truly appreciate the information. I understand the point that the job market is considered bad, but look at other career fields in comparison right now; lawyers, multiple variety of jobs related to real estate and other business centered organizations are all suffering currently. Yes, medical school can be considered an alternative to pharmacy school, but can any of you prove or provide legitimate evidence that it would be wiser to enter medical school than pharmacy school?

The best and most appropriate course of action you can take is to gain first hand experience of what the practice of pharmacy is really like. Spend a few weeks in a busy community/retail dispensary, watch and listen to the pharmacist. This will inform you very quickly whether or not this career is for you. It will help you to contextualise the above comments from pharmacists. Do the same for hospital and industry.

rph4now in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

27 months ago

no no no no no jobs in Chicago, Illinois said: I will be selling drugs, in about a week, why should those gangbangers, AND CFO'S of WAGS. make all the money, why with all my post ed. ...why do I have to starve while these grammar school dropouts make ALL THE cash, tax-free, and bonuses. look out gov.org. you so long have not/don't care how much we have paid in blood,sweat and tears for our higher ed., now I know the rules...join (me and the others) we are going to scam and scram. all the way to the bank. HA. HA. HA

I'm in!!!! ALL THE WAY-tired of being screwed by the WAG "elite"...please tell me more.And by the way-the number one "RULE" is:There ARE NO RULES!!! "RULE" number two:See RULE NUMBER ONE!!!I am ready and waiting to "join"-AT ANY COST!And BTW-my "District Manager"(HA-HA) tells me that I'M the problem!!!!He gets a company car,makes $150,000/year,sits on his a** with no stress at all,makes his own hours(probably no more than 26-28 hours/week),has a WAG "company" credit card(I'm sure he never abuses it...), has the *alls to tell us how to practice pharmacy and got his "elite" position HOW??By STOCKING shelves of *hit for 3-5 years until he kissed enough *sses to land it by DEFAULT!!!OF COURSE HIS B.A. degree "trumps" a *ucking PROFESSIONAL DEGREE,i.e.RPh,Pharm D.PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!

USCgrad2008 in Pasadena, California

26 months ago

Southern California is experiencing a dramatic change in our pharmacy profession. Hospitals are cutting pharmacist hours and now are considering cutting staff. Per Diem work is drying up. Hospitals are dealing with low patient census. Most hospitals are at half capacity. New government regulations are forcing hospitals to refuse admissions and encourage rapid discharges because they are not going to get reimbursed for their services.
Pharmacy schools are loading down new grads with $150,000-$200,000 in student loans. And the new interest rate is fixed at 8.5%. That payment is $2800/month x 10 years! After taxes and student loans.. a pharmacist brings home $3000/month. We are so willing to work because we cant afford not too. There are still jobs in areas no one wants to work or live... But soon those will be full and then the wages should start to fall... and then pharmacy schools will be opening online.. like they are in Florida... and then we will make 25k an year like our techs.
Its coming... do your research.. become a physicians assistant.. 100k/yr and no loans. I found this blog by trying to research what is going on.. why we are getting our hours cut and why the hospitals are so empty!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

thebigbang0011 in Burbank, California

26 months ago

USCgrad, where do you work if you don't mind me asking? Since you graduated in 2008 you should have a good job by now because that was still during the pharmacist shortage phase

26 months ago

id actually like to talk to you if u can email me thebigbang0011@gmail.com

kika in Tampa, Florida

26 months ago

I totaly agree with you, pharmacy it is changing drasticly, I'm a senior tech working in a major hospital, i was thinking pharmacy school but i realized I'm making 43k a year with no loans i think its a lot better than 110k with 150k worth of loans...

USCgrad2008 in Pasadena, California said: Southern California is experiencing a dramatic change in our pharmacy profession. Hospitals are cutting pharmacist hours and now are considering cutting staff. Per Diem work is drying up. Hospitals are dealing with low patient census. Most hospitals are at half capacity. New government regulations are forcing hospitals to refuse admissions and encourage rapid discharges because they are not going to get reimbursed for their services.
Pharmacy schools are loading down new grads with $150,000-$200,000 in student loans. And the new interest rate is fixed at 8.5%. That payment is $2800/month x 10 years! After taxes and student loans.. a pharmacist brings home $3000/month. We are so willing to work because we cant afford not too. There are still jobs in areas no one wants to work or live... But soon those will be full and then the wages should start to fall... and then pharmacy schools will be opening online.. like they are in Florida... and then we will make 25k an year like our techs.
Its coming... do your research.. become a physicians assistant.. 100k/yr and no loans. I found this blog by trying to research what is going on.. why we are getting our hours cut and why the hospitals are so empty!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

It was easy to get a job after my residency.. and the hours were readily available... I worked two jobs.. 50-60 hr weeks.. trying to make the payments on my loans and still have a life. But now things have changed. I am working 32-35hr weeks at my "full time" job and 20 hours every six weeks at my per Diem job.
Most other hospitals are in trouble too. I can name a few... but it would get me into trouble. But lets just say both my jobs laid ppl off last year... and this year they told us in a meeting that we need to cut the budget by 10%. I have friends in other hospitals in other cities.. the news is the same. The reimbursement rules are changing. Hospitals are getting leaner and meaner... the new schools opening up in california. I believe it is now 12 or 13 schools. Each graduating a class of 130-200 new grads every year. The old guys cant retired b/c their 401k was cut in half by the stock market collapse and the equity in their home is down at least 30-40%. Read the writing on the wall! There either is or soon will be a shortage of pharmacist jobs. Do something else with your life. I am thinking about going to PA school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

These are some of the changes that are coming to the field of pharmacy. If you are thinking about becoming a pharmacist you may want to look into this before you take the plunge. If you are a pharmacy student, you may want to look into a residency, fellowship or dual degree program.
*I am sure my recent graduate colleagues and my veteran pharmacist can attest the following is true...
Insurance companies are getting into the managed care business. They are offering incentive's for patients to get all of their medications through their mail order pharmacy. Fewer refills coming into your local pharmacy.
The pharmacy chain stores are lobbying your state board of pharmacy to change the pharmacist/technician ratio so that few pharmacist are needed to fill prescriptions. Large PBMs, hospitals, and government facilities are employing robots to fill scripts. (to the point that Kaiser has one pharmacist sitting at the end of a conveyor belt looking at a camera pointed into a filled bottle. He looks at the two photos and hits verify! 10,000 scripts a day!)
The government wants all the doctors to enter their own orders in the hospitals. Now you have 1 pharmacist reading all the entered orders and hitting verify. The meds are then made available via a remote medication dispensing machine on the floor. Currently pharmacists in Glendale can verify orders in 3 neighboring counties and the distant staff wont know the difference.
Graveyard shifts at multiple locations are all routed to a single pharmacist working remotely from his apartment. And then you add 1300 TO 2000 new California pharmacy grads every year, not to mention out of state grads returning home. It is about helping ppl.. but you need to worry about paying off your $160,000 to $200,000 loan. Everyone is out to turn this profession into a low tech job and you have the choice now to avoid a costly mistake! What will you do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

thebigbang0011 in Sunland, California

26 months ago

:(

26 months ago

And for those of you under the delusion that we will fill the void in Ambulatory Care... Let me remind you that Coumadin is dying! 5 cost effective alternatives will soon be standard of care for the previous indications occupied by Coumadin. And pharmacist run anti-coagulation clinics will go the way of the Dodo bird.
As for the other niches hoping to be occupied by a pharmacist... why would you pay someone $125k/yr to do something a nurse, nurse practitioner or trained technician will do for $60k/yr.
And for those of you that are so making a living dosing and monitor dangerous/toxic medications in the hospital... You know its coming... vanco monitoring is going to be gone as soon as daptomycin, linezolid, Tygacil and Teflaro go generic. Heparin & Coumadin dosing will be gone soon. Xeralto, pradaxa and many others are pushing their way into our lives. How many hospitals will need an entire team of clinical pharmacists?
How many pharmacist will be needed in the PIT area processing orders? Doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners will be entering all the orders themselves. When every floor has a Pyxis machine is full and ready for instant delivery.. how many spots will there be left for those of use looking for work. Desperate souls groveling for work any shift available... using the money to feed the student loan beast! A slave to the system. Healthcare is entering a new era. Big banks loaning money to students that gets transferred to Universities in exchange for a degree which might get us a job working for the insurance company's scarce dollars.. so that we can repay the banks with 8.5% interest! All in the name of helping the patients.
I am never coming on here again.. it makes me sad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former RX in Newport, Oregon

26 months ago

Glad I got out and joined the Army's Medical Core

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

usc2008, do you keep in contact with your classmates? what do they think about all of this?

26 months ago

hoapres - where is your proof that there was no shortage? i'm really curious because you seem to like conspiracies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.