Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 823)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

Hello 12 in Glasgow, United Kingdom

29 months ago

I have the FPGEE and just applied for five intern jobs in the past 3 weeks. I have received 5 interviews and have been offered all 5 jobs as very well paid interns positions. Now I have to choose which one.

I also own a herd of pigs, have just fed and watered them, fitted plastic wings to their backs and they are now ready to fly and fly.

I think the Pharmacy schools should now start printing the degree certificates on toilet paper because at least they will be able to be used for something useful then.

Pharmacy as a career is as dead as a DoDo :,-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rph_intheCorn in Fort Madison, Iowa

29 months ago

Jennie in Ireland said: remember the pharmacist is the first healthcare professional that people will come to seek advice from..a pharmacist should have pride in their knowledge and capacity to inform and advise. For those who think it more than pill counting, which it should be, they will succeed no matter what. and although a huge wage would be nice, it should not be the only reason to do a degree in something, one should have the aim of enhancing the profession, not belittling it

Thanks for your optimism in this climate of hopelessness. Pharmacy is indeed a great body of knowledge that we should each be proud of. For those who gave a thumbs down, read this again and see that she is just trying to aim for enhancing the profession.
Maybe there is a silver lining in the cloud!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny CPhT in Salt Lake City, Utah

29 months ago

OK So I work as a pharmacy tech and I really like it. I decided I wanted to go back to school to get a PharmD. The biggest reason for this is because my husband is 10 years older than me (I'm 35) and doesn't make a lot $$ (about 40K) and has no degree, and doesn't want to go back to school. We have 3 daughters (14, 12 & 10) and I would love to be able to pay for nice weddings, high school dances, cars, and of course their college education, and with me making $12 an hour (my CPhT rate after 1 year exp) and his salary, those things are going to be hard to provide. Anyway I am just starting out my 1st year of prereqs (chem, bio & math) and have already racked up about $4K in student loans. After reading this, to say I'm REALLY scared is an understatement. My husband says he has a friend who is a pharmaceutical rep and she told him the need for pharmacists is going to drastically rise, she told him something like 60,000 pharmacists needed. So he doesn't think I have any reason to worry, he thinks as soon as I graduate w/PharmD I'll have offers left and right. And to tell you the truth, I'm worried about even getting accepted because I only have about 3.2 GPA. I would try nursing, but I am very squeamish about blood and doubt I would even be able to give a shot. Am I screwed? Should I stick with it, or get out now and just keep plugging away as a tech @25K a year? (For that matter I also have med transcription exp and I can make $13-15 an hour doing that staying home, but the reason I decided to get a CPhT is because again with automation ever increasing, MT's are also becoming obsolete, replaced by "medical editors" who are 75% of the time from out of the US, working for about half the pay rate. :(((

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

IIIIII in Los Angeles, California

29 months ago

^ get into becoming a physician assistant before you screw yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pharmacistbyday in Fort Worth, Texas

29 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in absecon, New Jersey said: You cannot get a job in pharmacy unless you have a pharmd and clinical experience.I really want to get into the federal govnt working short term gigs but I cannot seem to it is worse than finding a retail job in NJ.The only way to get these Federal jobs is go through an agency and that is the pits.The agency never calls back and once they hear you have no experience they drop you like a hot potatoe.If someone knows how to get a travelling Federal job please tell me

Nonsense. I have a BS degree in Pharmacy and have worked closed door pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with no problems

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey

29 months ago

pharmacistbyday in Fort Worth, Texas said: Nonsense. I have a BS degree in Pharmacy and have worked closed door pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with no problems

Hey pharmacistbyday,
Have you recently lived in New Jersey to claim "Nonsense"? I think not! Texas still has many pharmacists jobs open, but this is not so in New Jersey. The RX Insider is rubbish, never have I ever received a response from posted websites and jobs. I live in NJ and have 13 years experience in retail, 6 hospital and 10 pharmaceutical industry in medical information/communication. I've been looking and begging for a job for over a year now. NOTHiNG, NADDA, ZILCH. And by the way, this has nothing to do with anyone going to pharmacy school or whatever. I'm in this forum because I can't find a job. Hoping someone has good information and insight that i can use.
useless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1968 charger in Princeton, Minnesota

29 months ago

I live in MN. Job market here is also bad. I have worked hospital, retail, and ltc over the years. Have been at it for 20 years now. Things have changed and not for the better. I think the PBMs were the first tough blow to our profession. Economic decline (crash) in 2008 and the increase in grads has put pharmacy in a game changing position. Pay has already declined and work conditions in retail are not good. My last shift I worked 12 hours on my feet without a break. I will only be paid for 10 of those hours as well. to bring forward to mgmt would result in losing my job. I have already started to look for another career. 46 years old makes that a challenge. One of my children showed an interest in pharmacy. I will not allow it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

ladybug in Evergreen Park, Illinois

28 months ago

We really need to start thinking outside the box. Can you imagine what pharmacy is going to be like if pharmacists are not filling the prescriptions. The pharmacy is completely run by techs. It could happen from the looks of things. What are the pharmacists going to be doing? Pharmacists will be working in doctors' offices. Pharmacists will get the diagnosis from the docs and come up with a medication plan, write the prescriptions and hand it to the patient. The patient will take it to the corner drugstore and it will be filled by techs. Of course the techs will then have heightened responsibilities. They will have to start carrying liability insurance for the mistakes they will make. Techs will have to learn more about the medicine than they know now. The drug interactions will be caught by pharmacists before the script is even written. In hospitals, the pharmacists wont be in the pharmacy, they will be making rounds with doctors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Eddie101 in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

ladybug in Evergreen Park, Illinois said: We really need to start thinking outside the box. Can you imagine what pharmacy is going to be like if pharmacists are not filling the prescriptions. The pharmacy is completely run by techs. It could happen from the looks of things. What are the pharmacists going to be doing? Pharmacists will be working in doctors' offices. Pharmacists will get the diagnosis from the docs and come up with a medication plan, write the prescriptions and hand it to the patient.

Really...And then you woke up? Not to be sarcastic about your dreams and hopes but this will never happen. Realistically, this is not in the cards, my fellow pharmacist. Doctors will continue to make the drug decisions and pharmacists simply won't exist in the future. They will be replaced by automation..so sad but true. We all just need to re-train and learn a new skill because a PharmD, in this day and age, is like the horse and buggy. We all know the horse and buggy were replaced by cars. Re-train and get started on a new career! I hope I'm wrong but this seems to be the trend, my friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JulieSyn in New York, New York

28 months ago

Has anyone heard about UCSF's robotic pharmacy? It looks like it gets rid of a lot of subspecialties within pharmacy: clinical pharmacist, nuclear pharmacist, oncology pharmacist and if adjusted could also easily replace retail pharmacists.

Look at this link with video of the robot:
medgadget.com/2011/03/a_look_at_ucsfs_robotic_pharmacist.html

Some say it will "change" the role of pharmacists as they would focus more on talking to patients about their meds instead...seems a little redundant. (nurses/doctors already do that without the added "expense" of pharmacist, right) I don't know, what does everyone think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

WONGJAMES1823@YAHOO.COM in Rowlett, Texas

28 months ago

IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE ARTICLE-LOOKS LIKE OUR WHOLE SO CALL PROFESSION IS BEING REPLACED.IMAGINE WHAT THE CHAINS WITH A LITTLE ADJUSTMENT,CAN CUT THE 100000 DOLLARS SALARY OF A CHECKER.LOOKING WORST THEN EVER FOR THIS FIELD AS MORE AND MORE KIDS ARE GRADUATING.WHERE ARE THE JOBS AND JUSTIFICATION FOR THE SALARY AS OF NOW ?WHEN AUTOMATION AND TECHS ARE PLAYING MORE AND MORE ROLE IN THE DISPENSING AREA.WHO REALLY NEEDS US,MAYBE CHAINS WILL EMPLOY ONE PHARMACIST PER 14 SHIFTS TO FILL 500 PRESCRIPTIONS SINCE OUR PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION ARE STANDING FOR US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nadzzzzz in North Brunswick, New Jersey

28 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

you're very sweet. i just got into pharmacy school and everything i have been reading really scared me.. thank you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

andhow in Lake Elsinore, California

28 months ago

nadzzzzz in North Brunswick, New Jersey said: you're very sweet. i just got into pharmacy school and everything i have been reading really scared me.. thank you :)

Read the very first post in this string. I wouln't take comfort in that old broken record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lookin very hard in Boca Raton, Florida

28 months ago

pharmacistbyday in Fort Worth, Texas said: Nonsense. I have a BS degree in Pharmacy and have worked closed door pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with no problems

ok...are there any jobs available where you work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey

28 months ago

I have been begging for work for months. I will take ANY pharmacist job out there. there isnt anything. I have spoken with recruiters. Please someone help me get work. I will work any shift, any holiday, in the ghetto, whatever it takes. Please hire me if you can or offer suggestions. I live in NJ just outside of Philadelphia. I have been looking for work in NJ, PA, NY, and DE for a year. I apply to any and every pharmacist posting there is.

Avoid this profession if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

28 months ago

Michael I recently had to leave a job( in the Shore area) it was part time but the management was wonderful and i really enjoyed the job. The company was kmart if you go to the website look for an opening around the Wildwood/Rio Grande area. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

norphjob in Boca Raton, Florida

28 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: I have been begging for work for months. I will take ANY pharmacist job out there. there isnt anything. I have spoken with recruiters. Please someone help me get work. I will work any shift, any holiday, in the ghetto, whatever it takes. Please hire me if you can or offer suggestions. I live in NJ just outside of Philadelphia. I have been looking for work in NJ, PA, NY, and DE for a year. I apply to any and every pharmacist posting there is.

Avoid this profession if you can.

me too!!ill go anywhere!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: Michael I recently had to leave a job( in the Shore area) it was part time but the management was wonderful and i really enjoyed the job. The company was kmart if you go to the website look for an opening around the Wildwood/Rio Grande area. Good luck

hardwrkrph do you have any names or people I can contact directly? I went to the website but there was no job posted. Is there any way I can contact you directly? Thank you!!!!!

I cannot tell you how difficult this is.

28 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: hardwrkrph do you have any names or people I can contact directly? I went to the website but there was no job posted. Is there any way I can contact you directly? Thank you!!!!!

I cannot tell you how difficult this is.

yes you can,i'm in the same boat...clean record and clean background and noone wants me!!!

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

27 months ago

Hi,
I have a need for a hospital experienced pharmacist with a NY license. Must have Hospital experience. This is a contract to perm position. The hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. The rate isn't glamorous, but you can't bee the hours. If qualified and interested, please forward me a resume via my email address at iinokon@AmherstHealthcare (dot) com

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

27 months ago

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hi,
I have a need for a hospital experienced pharmacist with a NY license. Must have Hospital experience. This is a contract to perm position. The hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. The rate isn't glamorous, but you can't bee the hours. If qualified and interested, please forward me a resume via my email address at iinokon@AmherstHealthcare (dot) com

I meant to say that you can't beat the hours! Sorry for the typo:)

Dada in Largo, Florida

27 months ago

About 30 years ago,that would be in about 1980, the retail phamacy organizations imagined a major expansion in pharmacies as major players expanded. Clinical organizations viewed also a major expansion in new and imagined clinical roles for pharmacist. In response schools increased, programs increased and the push was on. Advance 30 years to 2010. The recession stopped the planned massive expansion, and retail organizations are shrinking and jobs are just not there. Introduce technology and mail order and machines filling most prescriptions. The clinical options are just not in the order first thought. Thus hospitals have no interest in training retail pharmacists and little interest in new graduates, and in fact there are not jobs for new graduates. Today is a new world in pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Farmacist in Burlington, Iowa

27 months ago

Dada in Largo, Florida said: About 30 years ago,that would be in about 1980, the retail phamacy organizations imagined a major expansion in pharmacies as major players expanded. Clinical organizations viewed also a major expansion in new and imagined clinical roles for pharmacist. In response schools increased, programs increased and the push was on. Advance 30 years to 2010. The recession stopped the planned massive expansion, and retail organizations are shrinking and jobs are just not there. Introduce technology and mail order and machines filling most prescriptions. The clinical options are just not in the order first thought. Thus hospitals have no interest in training retail pharmacists and little interest in new graduates, and in fact there are not jobs for new graduates. Today is a new world in pharmacy.

Clinical Pharmacy has not progressed. Why? Is it because you cannot separate diagnosis and prescribing? Maybe that is why NP's and PA's can prescribe. Medicine does not want PharmD's for clinical consultations unless it is quick and free. The natural place for a clinical drug consultant would be a medical clinic. Instead, medical specialties hire RN's to run clinics, and they are the ones who gain special drug knowledge in their field. Maybe nurse wages play a large part. Today's PharmD has no more authority than any BS RPh from 30 years ago.

If you want to practice in a clinical setting, pick a different field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Can I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician if I am a licensed pharmacist? I cannot get a job as a pharmacist so maybe a job as a technician again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: Can I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician if I am a licensed pharmacist? I cannot get a job as a pharmacist so maybe a job as a technician again?

if you do AND YOU GET HIRED,LET US KNOW...MAYBE THERE IS SOME HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NewPharm222 in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

Michael in Clementon, New Jersey said: Can I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician if I am a licensed pharmacist? I cannot get a job as a pharmacist so maybe a job as a technician again?

You can but there are a few legal issues because you have to have a pharmacy tech license. If your tech license is still active I guess it won't be a problem. It also depends on what your state allows. I have applied for some but no luck. As the person above me said, let us know if you get one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

Pharmacy job market will take another jolt in June as hordes of new pharmacists swell the ranks, fresh from the money hungry schools! We have not seen the end of the saturation. Dinosaur Pharmacists over 45 watch out! New and agile job hungry youngsters will be on your tail!! Better learn how to speed up or ship out!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

27 months ago

i cannot find anything still. i checked on the work as a pharmacy tech and that is a no go apparently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

This is really a bad comment one day youll be a "dinosaur pharmacist" so what exactly do you think youll do? We have several new graduates that cannot find jobs so being a fresh new pharmacist does mean employers will be panting for your arrival.Dont you think we should all be working together to secure the future for everyone instead being so callous to focus on one segment of the pharmacy population(ie new graduates)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

i am with you hardwrk. are you on facebook? us NJ folk should try to work together.

hangv001 in Katy, Texas

27 months ago

Hi, i'm currently a freshman in college and will be graduating in 2016. Will there be any need for pharmacists in the houston, TX area 6 years from now or should i switch to medicine or nursing. Please help me because i don't want to waste my hard earn money on pharmacy school. Also, what about speech therapist, is there any shortage for that? If it helps, i've taken ASL for 3 years and know alot about deaf culture, i do not want to become an interpreter though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LetsMakeItWork in New Providence, New Jersey

27 months ago

Hello, please follow this blog. I am a new graduate myself and I would like to find a solution to this issue. If anyone is interested in ideas for collaboration, please let me know. Maybe we could redefine what pharmacists do. www.tumblr.com/blog/pharmacistjobsearch

iowa hawk in San Angelo, Texas

27 months ago

hangv001 in Katy, Texas said: Hi, i'm currently a freshman in college and will be graduating in 2016. Will there be any need for pharmacists in the houston, TX area 6 years from now or should i switch to medicine or nursing. Please help me because i don't want to waste my hard earn money on pharmacy school. Also, what about speech therapist, is there any shortage for that? If it helps, i've taken ASL for 3 years and know alot about deaf culture, i do not want to become an interpreter though.

Hi HangV001,
Well I graduated in 2010 from the university of Iowa. Go Hawks. I wanted to work retail since all I have been doing was hospital/interned at the VA medical center. I was willing to relocate to either Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, or texas. I applied and I got job offers from iowa, illinois, and texas from various pharmacy chains, and grociers.

I got a offer in Tx I couldn't refuse with a sign on bonus and relocation bonus. I also got sign on bonus offers from other companies in illinois and iowa. I'm not a person who switches jobs often, I love stability so I researched the companies benefits and picked the one that I wanted to retire with, 'hopefully', in the end.

I like mid size and small towns. Thankfully most jobs are in rural/growing areas. I got a job in a mid size town. My g/f who followed me also got a job at the hospital here as a pharmacist, she was also a new grad, she got hired because she is a hard worker and showed to her employer she goes above and beyond--they have never hired a new grad before and she told me they have an additional spot open but have turned down a lot of new grads applying because of bad interviewing and not professional and arrogant. She learned quickly and does a great job, now to my next point....

My g/f is a city girl. She wants to move to a big city. I agreed to move to houston after my contract. Moving all the way to a small-mid size town of humble and polite people has many benefits. part 1/2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Hi HangV001,
Well I graduated in 2010 from the university of Iowa. Go Hawks. I wanted to work retail since all I have been doing was hospital/interned at the VA medical center. I was willing to relocate to either Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, or texas. I applied and I got job offers from iowa, illinois, and texas from various pharmacy chains, and grociers.

I got a offer in Tx I couldn't refuse with a sign on bonus and relocation bonus. I also got sign on bonus offers from other companies in illinois and iowa. I'm not a person who switches jobs often, I love stability so I researched the companies benefits and picked the one that I wanted to retire with, 'hopefully', in the end.

I like mid size and small towns. Thankfully most jobs are in rural/growing areas. I got a job in a mid size town. My g/f who followed me also got a job at the hospital here as a pharmacist, she was also a new grad, she got hired because she is a hard worker and showed to her employer she goes above and beyond--they have never hired a new grad before and she told me they have an additional spot open but have turned down a lot of new grads applying because of bad interviewing and not professional and arrogant. She learned quickly and does a great job, now to my next point....

My g/f is a city girl. She wants to move to a big city. I agreed to move to houston after my contract. Moving all the way to a small-mid size town of humble and polite people has many benefits. part 1/2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

some of the benefits-never had to pay for a car wash since the 2 years I was here, thanks to my great patients owning car washes, my patients also own restaurants, are doctors, I see them all around town all the time, and all I do is be a great pharmacist to them. Some patients bring in doughnuts to the pharmacy every time they stop by or buy the pharmacy lunch. Small communities are not always a bad thing compared to the city.

You move here for the company, the company knows you are helping them out in an area where they need pharmacists, they will help you out when you are ready to transfer if you are a good pharmacist. I told my DM i wanted to move to houston because of my girl. He recommended me to the DM in Houston, of course he really didn't want me to leave and was a jackass about it at first like all DMs are, but he's a good guy, and told the other DM I was his #2 pharmacist in his whole district out of 16 stores (24-34 pharmacists?). After a phone interview and small writing process I was offered a job in houston for my transfer.

The good thing about going to a smaller area before the city is...you get a higher rate of pay, you keep your higher rate of pay when you transfer to another area like the city, so i'll be making more then the person who applied and got a job in that area. I verified this with friends who transferred to other cities as well. My g/f got 2 years of hospital experience and can apply to jobs in houston, she already had interviews, a couple weeks after applying.My 6 figure loan will be paidoff soon(1yr)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I also applied to all sorts of jobs as plan B. I had phone interviews with 2 companies. The jobs are there. Be professional, be humble, work hard for your money or someone else will. There are plenty of people who are happy to work hard for a pharmacist salary. I do my job + the jobs of my techs, I help out where help is needed. I don't stay in one spot and verify all day, i do drop off,insurance,register,production. i do over 2000/wk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

iowa hawk, you are in texas which has always been a state with a higher demand; however that is changing.

the jobs are not there and will not be there in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: iowa hawk, you are in texas which has always been a state with a higher demand; however that is changing.

the jobs are not there and will not be there in the future.

Well that is more of a problem for people who switch jobs a lot/quit a lot/ or get fired a lot. If you don't like your job, customer service, or supervisor and can't learn to cope with it then you won't last long in any job. The job market is not saturated now, and the future is unpredictable. I predict there will be more pharmacist job openings to accomodate the increase in pharmacists. There was a study done in like 2009 that estimated by 2020 pharmacy retail jobs would shrink and hospital jobs would expand,however, I think its all BS and just another way to get students to do residencies and make it mandatory for pharmacy students to do residencies in the near future just like med school, just like how they are pushing students to have a 4 year degree to even apply to pharmacy school, that will also cut the # of applicants. The dean at our school who is from new jersey rutgers and who was one of the first residency students in california told us in several years residencies will be mandatory and there won't be a choice, thus turning a 4 year program into a 6 year program which will delay students from graduating and create residencies at places such as the hospital, retail, and producing residency jobs.

I want to be in an area with higher demand for pharmacy jobs. That means higher salaries. I'm in the top 10% of salaried pharmacists in the US. It's always been known that the south and southwest states are in need of pharmacists, it's been like that since 2006 or earlier. If people are in saturated places with high competition and can't land a job, it's time for them to move and find a less competitive area or better yourself with experience or more education in the position you are seeking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

also the demographics of pharmacists are changing from an all white male profession to female and minorities. All you have to do is look at the graduating class pictures of say a pharmacist school in houston and see there is going to be a lot more diverse pharmacists. Female and minorities I think experience poverty/prejadice of some form in there life and will work a lot harder in their profession with fewer complaints.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I dont know if what you wrote is really truthful about women and minorities especially if you look at the upper management at most chains and etc, they are stillthe old boy network and they are very resistance to change. Ive been on this website for at least a year and 1/2 and quite a few women are still unemployed. I also think that once again someone from the pharmacy education dept is writing untruth about pharmacy being saturated(yes it is!!!)Yes I relocated to find a job but Im lucky b/c I can,it is incredibly hard to tell someone to relocate their whole family and Im working with several people who also relocated for a job.This is the second time Ive packed up and moved to greenier pastures and it tore me apart to leave love ones behind so maybe you should be a bit more understanding about making that statement. I know what it is like not working and still trying to survive so until you ve been in that position maybe it is better not to be so quick with the judgements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: I dont know if what you wrote is really truthful about women and minorities especially if you look at the upper management at most chains and etc, they are stillthe old boy network and they are very resistance to change. Ive been on this website for at least a year and 1/2 and quite a few women are still unemployed. I also think that once again someone from the pharmacy education dept is writing untruth about pharmacy being saturated(yes it is!!!)Yes I relocated to find a job but Im lucky b/c I can,it is incredibly hard to tell someone to relocate their whole family and Im working with several people who also relocated for a job.This is the second time Ive packed up and moved to greenier pastures and it tore me apart to leave love ones behind so maybe you should be a bit more understanding about making that statement. I know what it is like not working and still trying to survive so until you ve been in that position maybe it is better not to be so quick with the judgements.

you gotta move after graduation...you can''t just graduate and work in an area where you're school is located. All my familiy is in iowa and illinois, i go back to visit them at least twice a year, i have a right to make any statement. And I'll never let myself be in a position where i am jobless. I had at least 1 or 2 jobs since I turned 14, never been unemployed since. I know about survival because i came from the housing projects/drug dealers/and crime. Don't tell me about survival lol. I was the first one to go to a university in my family. I will never understand how someone can be unemployed for longer then a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmd17 in Fall River, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Someone explain to me then why the u.s new report ranked pharmacist #3 best job based on job satisfaction and job availability for the future ????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dada in Seminole, Florida

27 months ago

There is a program started in the 1960's to flood the market with pharmacists. This was pushed by the people that employed pharmacists. They supported the program via support of publications,organizations,politics,schools and guides and anything in print or speach. Also to create the belief that there was a hugh shortage and that work conditions, etc were great. I only post here not to discourage anyone but to at least for those to beware. I find it is a tragedy to make a hugh investment in time and money to no purpose. This program is why there is such a sharp contrast between what we actually see in the real world work place vs what we read in publications and hear at school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Dublin, Ireland

27 months ago

Dada in Seminole, Florida said: There is a program started in the 1960's to flood the market with pharmacists. This was pushed by the people that employed pharmacists. They supported the program via support of publications,organizations,politics,schools and guides and anything in print or speach. Also to create the belief that there was a hugh shortage and that work conditions, etc were great. I only post here not to discourage anyone but to at least for those to beware. I find it is a tragedy to make a hugh investment in time and money to no purpose. This program is why there is such a sharp contrast between what we actually see in the real world work place vs what we read in publications and hear at school.

And that nicely encapsulates my own thoughts on this profession. I spent years attaining clinical knowledge and yet feel the actual manifestation of the job is a relegation to a prescription pusher with doctors very rarely, if ever,consulting me. This is quite apart form the stress, working conditions, sharp drop in remuneration etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

shampson in Clementon, New Jersey

27 months ago

yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania said: Pharmacy job market will take another jolt in June as hordes of new pharmacists swell the ranks, fresh from the money hungry schools! We have not seen the end of the saturation. Dinosaur Pharmacists over 45 watch out! New and agile job hungry youngsters will be on your tail!! Better learn how to speed up or ship out!!

I am over 45 and had to go on diability. I kept up but my body didnt. I told my boss of my illnes and unfortunately this was the first nail in the coffing of my pharmacy career. I thought that since I was a good pharmacist with a good record this would make a difference. The corporations have taken over the proffession. I want to get off disability eventually but I will not go back to chain pharmacy. I told my kids to be entrepreneurs, this is the only way as far as I am concerned. Pharmacist will have to unionize if we want to save our proffession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

shampson, I am so sorry to hear that! Where are you located? I am right near you! There is no union coming.

shampson in Clementon, New Jersey

27 months ago

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey said: shampson, I am so sorry to hear that! Where are you located? I am right near you! There is no union coming.

I live in Edgewater Park. I have worked for 23 years. 13 years at Rite Aid. ( I left because I was 37 years old and pregnant and they would not offer me anything but 12 hour shifts) and at Acme- which was great at first then was bought out by Supervalu. I had mulitple problems after the birth of my son. I thought since I had a good record and my store made money, I would be given consideration. When I told my boss about my illness and asked to have a technician on my 10 hours Saturdays I was told I could if I would take the tech hours away from my partner pharmacist. This was my company's idea of an accomadation. Since we have no union I was on my own. After this I was written up 5 times. If I was a few minutes late I was written up. I have a very painful arthritic condition. On one instance my son had a life threatening asthma attack. I have a friend who is negotiating accomadations for her illness, she has the teacher
s union behind her. I think that as far as pharmacist residences are concerned, instead of just clinical pharamacy, there should be practical simple diagnostic training and triaging patients. I think it would behoove healthcare if the proffessions of physician assistant and pharmacist were combined. A doctors office could have a pharmacist working along side of doctors and nurses. In a community setting minor illness could be treated. In old times the apothecary was the poor mans doctor. I believe that this system was better than what we have now
If you dont have insurance you are sol. We need to have some guts. I hate to get into bed with our nemesis insurance companies, but since so much cost could be contained this way they would be on board, and people would get more of the care they need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mikegroceryrph

27 months ago

Pharmd17 in Fall River, Massachusetts said: Someone explain to me then why the u.s new report ranked pharmacist #3 best job based on job satisfaction and job availability for the future ????

Its simple the authors dont understand the business behind pharmacy. 4$drugs expressscipts now has 40% control of insurance claims. Walgreens has shortened there hours at multiple locations. New phRmacies that opendont make money. Its obvious the public thinks more drug more pharmacists r needed. But that statement isnt true. Companies will dispense more rxs but will employee more technology not more pharmacist. Sorry for typos im on andriod.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jaydawk jaydawk in H-town, Texas

27 months ago

i get paid 126,600 a year--top 10%. I only paid back $46 in taxes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

jaydawk jaydawk in H-town, Texas

27 months ago

jaydawk jaydawk in H-town, Texas said: i get paid 126,600 a year--top 10%. I only paid back $46 in taxes

errr typo I meant $129,600. Staff pharmacist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.