Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 886)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama

31 months ago

The Pharmacy schools don't give a rat's ass how THEY get paid, if it's thru grant money or YOUR student loan indebtedness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dada in Seminole, Florida

31 months ago

I started warning of the oversupply of pharmacist 20 years ago. The improvement of mass rx filling mail order and the decline of business expansion will continue to impact the market for another 20 years. The only possible future in the health care business is as a provider that charges for professional time and is recognized by government and industry as a provider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Yardleyed in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Absolutely right,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

haha in San Angelo, Texas

30 months ago

they just hired 3 new grads in my area at one chain and I know other chains in my area have newly hired grads. I'm transferring suckasss!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

fluffypenguin in Forest Hills, New York

30 months ago

Are you sure it's that hard for pharmacists to find a job?

I just did a Google search and found this: www.indeed.com/q-pharmacist-jobs.html

I'm a high school student considering going into pharmacy, and there seems to be lots of opportunities, if you're willing to move to other states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KatelynPharmD in Indianapolis, Indiana

30 months ago

fluffypenguin in Forest Hills, New York said: Are you sure it's that hard for pharmacists to find a job?

I just did a Google search and found this: www.indeed.com/q-pharmacist-jobs.html

I'm a high school student considering going into pharmacy, and there seems to be lots of opportunities, if you're willing to move to other states.

Many are inactive. And if you aren't licensed in that state, they are not considering you. And it is expensive and wasteful to get licensed in more than 4-5 states just to find a job. You can apply but you won't hear back from them, and if you don't have the experience they are looking for, they won't respond either. I have applied to over hundreds of jobs in the past year with few responses and no offers. Graduated in 2011 with honor, top 10 schools in the country, worked throughout school, and still no job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yardleyed in Saint John, New Brunswick

30 months ago

And if u are over forty forget it! No jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yardleyed in Saint John, New Brunswick

30 months ago

Pharmacy is a dying field! Don,t be scammed into believing otherwise.

RoadRunner in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

I have worked 25 years in hospital, retail and long-term care and I have never seen the market this tight. Too many pharmacists(too many pharmacy colleges) not enough jobs. With 3rd parties paying actual cost plus a 65 cent dispensing fee the chains consider your professional ability as how many prescriptions you can fill an hour, not how you try to take care of patients. I have precepted pharmacy students for clinical and hospital rotations - I think current pharmacy students are being sold a bill of goods by the colleges. The students are expecting to physically evaluate and diagnose patients, write orders (meds and labs) and they are anticipating being called "Dr" by all patients and health care professionals. The reality of the current job market is you need to serve a residency to get a clinical job and those jobs are few and far inbetween. Most graduates end up going to chains because of the $$$ and then they get stuck there. I'm working towards an early retirement - there will always be a pharmacy down the street that will fill a prescription for less then you would , it's always been that way since the chains took over. As for clinical pharmacy, maybe in teaching institutions but at this point Nurse practicioners and physician assistants have more independent prescribing authority than pharmacists will ever get(and they are better politically organized then pharmacy - pharmacy has a bunch of professional organizations that pursue their own agenda and the hell with anybody else) Pharmacy used to be a profession that was highly respected by the public but the 3rd parties and the professional organizations inability to agree on a common vision has destroyed the profession

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flrph in miami, Florida

30 months ago

In today's market with an abundance of Pharmacists it's who you know that will get you a job. I lost my job with CVS in so fl. I applied everywhere with no call backs. I mentioned to a long time friend of my plight. He was the preceptor some 10 years before to a local pharmacy district manager. He made a call and because he could vouch for me the DM who I has already tried to contact multiple times by various methods finally called and granted an interview.
I will say this. If you get that interview you had better be fully prepped about the company and have done your homework on their history, operation, business focus and mission statement. No more one page application to get a Pharmacist job. You have to be on target and on ge to et the slot. Once gotten don't assume you're good ro go and safe. You had best toe the line and ask how high when asked to jump. They will cut you loose as quick as they hired you. If you're over 50yo. start thinking about other money making ventures. We older pharmacist have outlived our BS Degree and have become unmarketable. The new grads have the edge and are accepting salaries in the 80K range. That's 25% less than just 5-6 years ago.
If you're out of work call every Pharmacist you know that's working and ask them to put in the good word for you. My current DM says he gets 8-10 applications a week now. He has maybe 10-12 slots a year to fill. Do the math. It's not pretty. Good luck in your search.
I believe technology, central fill, automation will lead to the demise of the Pharmacists as we know them today. One day your doctor will issue you a debit card RX and you'll go to the vending machine in the lobby. Your blister pack will drop out like a bag of M&Ms and if you have any questions there will be an 800# on the back to call where MAYBE some Pharmacist or perhaps a technician will take your call. The party is over. Prepare your exit strategy now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

old pharmacist in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

who is filling the vending machine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Dublin, Ireland

30 months ago

flrph in miami, Florida said: .....
...I believe technology, central fill, automation will lead to the demise of the Pharmacists as we know them today. One day your doctor will issue you a debit card RX and you'll go to the vending machine in the lobby. Your blister pack will drop out like a bag of M&Ms and if you have any questions there will be an 800# on the back to call where MAYBE some Pharmacist or perhaps a technician will take your call. The party is over. Prepare your exit strategy now.

I think this is a very accurate vision of the future and by no means a distant future. The technology and hardware is already here, implementation will require more time, capital and admittedly some further improvements with some legislative tweaking but it will happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

QotaiCom in Needham, Massachusetts

30 months ago

aware in Novi, Michigan said: Maybe we should all move to Oregon.

Please never move to oregon so boring, rain, move to boston, ma is much better

qotai.com find pharmacist job there. please tells your friends

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RoadRunner in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Actuallly the technology is here !! The hospital I worked for was going forward to install a "vending machine pharmacy" in their ER. The ER Dr or nurse (NOTE not pharmacist !!) enters the prescription in the computer terminal, inside the vending machine an automatic arm has the label (already printed), selects the prepacked bottle of medicine in a child resistant container and the labeled prescription vial drops to the the pocket to be picked up by the patient. The medicine is released to the patient after the patient runs their 3rd party card thru the first magnetic swip box to bill the insurance company, then the patient swipes their credit card or debit card to pay their copay. The unit is restocked weekly by pharmacy techinicians who are employed by the company that developed the unit.
NO PHARMACISTS involved in direct dispensing to patient or available to answer questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

haha in San Angelo, Texas

30 months ago

new grads are not accepting 80 k range salaries...trust me i have friends who just graduated!!! depends on the area normal retail 120k+ hospital 110k+

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey

30 months ago

What is it with you new grads? This is just information. I just turned down job offered 80k...bc ots wrong. You just wait...things are changing. You however base your comments. On what you know Now and short experience. Nobody is attacking you personally. It's their experience and knowledge. My grad class respected older pharmacists and you people are doing the opposite. If you have job then good for you. No need to be on Indeed forum website in the first place. Get to work and enjoy it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

liz

30 months ago

NO MORE JOB FOR RPH WITHOUT HOSPITAL EXP in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I'VE BEEN APPLYING FOR JOB EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 10 MONTHS,I HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE CALL EVEN FOR AN INTERVIEW
I'M PHARM.D, 5 YEARS RETAIL EXPERIENCE, NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE, LICENSED IN 2 STATES, MA AND PA
NOW, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO START THINKING ABOUT OPENING MY OWN INDEPENDENT PHARMACY COZ I'LL GET LAID OFF IN LESS THAN A MONTH, I KNOW, IT'S GONNA BE BAD FOR MY PERSONAL LIFE BEING A WOMAN AND WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK LIKE THAT, BUT WHAT I CAN DO ?
MARRY A RICH HUSBAND THEN GO BACK TO SCHOOL ?? LOL...

nnoooo!! dont get married. then you'll have 2 problems. I would suggest going back to school and learning a different trade. I got my insurance license to sell health, sickness and accident policies. The money will come the more experienced I become. I also plan to get my MBA. It'll open many more doors for me. There are solutions...Hang in there

pharm in Boston, Massachusetts

30 months ago

you guys are idiots. drop out of pharmacy. better for me. I'll keep my 100 k job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

liz

30 months ago

John C. in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello. I am in Chicago and will attend a basic community college (Wright) and plan to transfer to UIC for pharmacy. Reading up on this thread it seems getting a job in a city is hard and people say to move to a rural area. Im having second thoughts on the whole pharmacist thing. What would be a good alternative I can take. Maybe male nurse? I would optimistically want something that wont break the bank paying for the studies but we all know thats unlikely. Thanks :)

Get your MBA/MIT degree. You'll always have a job in cumputers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

liz said: Get your MBA/MIT degree. You'll always have a job in cumputers

that makes me laugh. the grass always looks greener on the other side doesnt it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

liz said: Get your MBA/MIT degree. You'll always have a job in cumputers

that makes me laugh. the grass always looks greener on the other side doesnt it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bebo in Las Vegas, Nevada

30 months ago

Hi guys!

I am a recent graduate and trying to find a job. The Pharma market is bad. I think half of my classmates have not found jobs yet. Anybody graduating in next 3-4 years is going to go through hell. There is a viscous cycle of companys not hiring without experience and you cant have experience if no one hires you.Hospital jobs are rare to find. They all want residencies. So good luck to people who graduating after 2013. Luckily I am married to a rich guy so I can afford to stay home or do something I really wanted to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MichaelPharmD in New Jersey

30 months ago

I would take a pharmacy job for $80,000 without hesitation. I cannot find fulltime pharmacy work at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Sorry to hear that you still are not employed as a pharmacist. I was just denied further interview (after my phone interview) due to my length of time unemployed. HA HA HA AHA
Same thing over and over. How stupid can this people be?????????????? I pray for them to know what it's like. I think all of us unemployed pharmacists throughout NJ and the United States should get together to do "something" to send all the people home who are here on work visas. That something would include letting America know exactly what's going on with pharmacy as it ultimately affects their safety and satisfaction. Now that they are claiming we have a doctor shortage, no doubt foreign doctors are being shipped over for lower wages and benefits just as they have for pharmacists. I wouldn't be so passionate about this if I knew I could move to the Bahamas for a job, but the country prohibits people to move into their country unless they are self sufficient or wealthy. Many countries protect their people from having their jobs taken by foreigners. Ok I'm done ranting.............grrrrrrr this really angers me. :)

30 months ago

iowa hawk in San Angelo, Texas said: so there is more demand in new jersey then Iowa...iowa is a 3 and NJ is 3.42...and i still got job offers in iowa haha, i don't know how accuarate pharmacymanpower.com is

This site is for adults who are respectful to their COLLEAGUES. No time or room for HaHa's. Act like a pharmacist, not a child.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I agree. As long as you not mean it in a derogatory way. Having no job nor job opportunities is very painful. We are all pharmacists and colleagues. Loving and laughing in life :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

liz

30 months ago

hardwrkrphNJ in absecon, New Jersey said: You cannot get a job in pharmacy unless you have a pharmd and clinical experience.I really want to get into the federal govnt working short term gigs but I cannot seem to it is worse than finding a retail job in NJ.The only way to get these Federal jobs is go through an agency and that is the pits.The agency never calls back and once they hear you have no experience they drop you like a hot potatoe.If someone knows how to get a travelling Federal job please tell me

john franks at m.s.n staffing or dakota med temps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

liz

30 months ago

hang in there.

Reggie Suerte in New York, New York

30 months ago

The sorry facts are simple: there are NO JOBS! If you want proof, just do a search for pharmacist jobs in, for example, New York, NY MONSTER.com lists 10 pharmacist positions in New York, NY, which is an area with a population of close to 12 million people. jobsearch.monster.com/search/Pharmacist_5?where=New-York__2C-NY
So, think you will get a job? Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

SIGH in Flushing, New York

30 months ago

For those of you who are still actively looking, what are you guys doing in the meantime (aside from job search, of course). I recently graduated and have been looking for a job for a while.

I feel like a big failure!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

calling all RPH in San Angelo, Texas

30 months ago

All you pharmacists on the east coast that are looking for jobs WE NEED YOU IN THE SOUTHERN BELT states!!! People get old and retire, where do they go? the SOUTH! Get your asses down here and work to serve the elderly in small communities where they will respect you and see you everyday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Misled Duped Betrayed New Graduates in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

I am new to this board's forum. Quick background, I have over 10 years of Clinical, and Nuclear pharmacy experience. Licensed in 5 states. Had major medical issue with hospitalization for over 6 mos. Been looking for a job in Chicago area since late March, and still UNEMPLOYED. Read all 8 pages of comments. I knew job market was tight, especially in Chicago, b/c of excess supply of pharmacy graduates from excessive # of pharmacy schools. The most annoying comments on this board are from new graduates who found "a Pharmacy" job within the first say 3 months of graduation commenting that jobs are plenty or a lot of palaver about "reinvention". They think "lies about pharmacist job market" are false. Congratulation to those who have found a job. I believe sooner or "much" later, few will find a pharmacy job. But this is not what you were presented with. Is it now? You were expecting 6-figure salary, and instant employment upon graduation! I believe everyone has heard of Supply and demand!
When I graduated there were about 72 schools graduating about 7000 pharmacist or so a year.That was the market. What they didn't tell you, was that there would be twice as many graduates. Last job I applied had 75+ applicants vs a handful 5 years ago. Majority of you have graduated from the excess pharmacy schools (expensive private schools) competing for few open positions that were not getting filled . What do you think is going to happen to salaries? Most will have to "reinvent" themselves, just to find "a" job. Also will learn that We are no longer indispensable, most pharmacy managers view their pharmacist as interchangeable cogs with no discernable value other than filling an open hole within a schedule, especially retail. You were deceived by illusion of facts that were empirically false. You have shifted the balance, by saturating the very lucrative market that you had envisioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

I am new to this board's forum. Quick background, I have over 10 years of Clinical, and Nuclear pharmacy experience. Licensed in 5 states. Had major medical issue with hospitalization for over 6 mos. Been looking for a job in Chicago area since late March, and still UNEMPLOYED. Read all 8 pages of comments. I knew job market was tight, especially in Chicago, b/c of excess supply of pharmacy graduates from excessive # of pharmacy schools. The most annoying comments on this board are from new graduates who found "a Pharmacy" job within the first say 3 months of graduation commenting that jobs are plenty or a lot of palaver about "reinvention". They think "lies about pharmacist job market" are false, did 100% of your class find a job that fast? Happy for those who have found a job. I believe sooner or "much" later, few will find a pharmacy job. But this is not what you were presented with. Is it now? You were expecting 6-figure salary, and instant employment upon graduation! I believe everyone has heard of Supply and demand! When I graduated there were about 72 schools graduating about 7000 pharmacist or so a year.That was the market. What they didn't tell you, was that there would be twice as many graduates. Last job I applied had 75+ applicants vs a handful 5 years ago. Majority of you have graduated from the excess pharmacy schools (expensive private schools) competing for few open positions that were not getting filled . What do you think is going to happen to salaries? Most will have to "reinvent" themselves, just to find "a" job. Also will learn that We are no longer indispensable, most pharmacy managers view their pharmacist as interchangeable cogs with no discernable value other than filling an open hole within a schedule, especially retail. You were deceived by illusion of facts that were empirically false. You have shifted the balance, by saturating the very lucrative market that you had envisioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kambu in Baltimore, Maryland

29 months ago

Hello people,
I'm a pharmacist with 10yrs hospital experience, Pharm D...no residency. The job market is BAD, I consider myself lucky to have a job right now but looking around at what's happening in the job market, I'm VERY nervous.
There are NO jobs available. Too many graduates, it's a simple matter of demand and supply.
The pharmacy schools and leadership of the pharmacy profession are DEFRAUDING the rank and file members of the profession. Take the residency thing, there are so many hospitals offering residencies and they're doing it because the Fed Govt pays them BIG MONEY for each resident trained under some kind of education grant. They take the $150K govt money for the residency position and then pay the resident $30k/yr, for a cool six figure profit, most of which then goes into the pocket of the Hospital CEO and Pharmacy management as salary/bonus.
With Pharmacy schools its very straightforward, exactly the same thing as with Law schools and even the housing market. High returns in the form of potential salary have attracted A LOT of entrants into the pharmacy labor market. It's easy to create more pharmacists because just like law, the schls are INTRISNICALLY easy to create, it's just books and a few labs and teachers.
I could write a lot more. Pharmacy is DEAD, for now. It's not worth it for new students. Don't do it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Kambu in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hello people,
I'm a pharmacist with 10yrs hospital experience, Pharm D...no residency. The job market is BAD, I consider myself lucky to have a job right now but looking around at what's happening in the job market, I'm VERY nervous...

You and I have similar background, except that you have a job. I just applied for a part time job at one of the hospitals here in Chicago Fri. And on Mon I received the automated reply of thank you, but no thank you, b/c of #of applicants. I saw this train wreck in the making coming about 10 years ago. I was in the back of the "train" then. I knew it was witnessing it about 3 years ago when I took me over 6 mos to find a job in TX and move from CA. I will be starting graduate school in a couple of weeks so that I can "Reinvent" myself. Looking at Medical School. It is competitive b/c they don't let "supply" to over run the "demand" by having stringent requirement to get in. There has been X #of medical schools , public and private, but it is well balanced and rightly so. If they are going to charge you so much for your education, they make sure that you can make a sufficient salary to make your investment pay(that is begining to change as well b/c of reimbursements on the compensation side ). You should have tried to get in the field when that balance was still maintained before the explosion of all these private (investment) pharmacy schools. Now, all these schools combined graduate almost twice the number of pharmacist than 10 years ago. But, the number of jobs has not doubled to absorb the excess. (You need to have # of jobs tripled so that not only absorb the added supply but still maintain that "shortage" so that the same trend that continue). Liked your explanation of "Residency". Brainwash every student to do one. Instead of doing 6 to 8 yrs, now you have to do 7 to 9 years to get the SAME job as 10 years ago. No new "job" positions are created for pharmacist with "residency".

29 months ago

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama said: When I had no work, I e-mailed the Kroger DM in my area. I had a proposal, I could work as a tech at tech wages ( that's right I am willing to be paid as a pharmacy tech) and help the PharmD. As such I could then have a slight chance to work for Kroger in the future.
It never received a reply.... You see all this money to create all these new Pharmacy schools, and all the student loan debt, benefits who? After you understand that one, do you think the leaders in corporate pharmacy and thier academic lachey's would admit they created too many pharmacy schools ? Of course not! these sociopath's do not know the word's I'm sorry or we made a mistake?
So they will push and get RPH's "On the GO" and out of the picture especially at the chains.

"these sociopath's do not know the word's I'm sorry or we made a mistake?" No , the word they understand is "$$$..." And they would tell you that their job is not to find jobs for their graduates. They are not "employment agency". Their job is just to help the poor souls, who enriched them, to pass the boards.

29 months ago

USCgrad2008 in Pasadena, California said: And for those of you under the delusion that we will fill the void in Ambulatory Care... Let me remind you that Coumadin is dying! 5 cost effective alternatives will soon be standard of care for the previous indications occupied by Coumadin. And pharmacist run anti-coagulation clinics will go the way of the Dodo bird.
As for the other niches hoping to be occupied by a pharmacist... why would you pay someone $125k/yr to do something a nurse, nurse practitioner or trained technician will do for $60k/yr.

@USCgrad, you live in Pasadena. That is where I bought my first condo not too far from the "old town" and the Rusnak car dealerships. I left the state late 2009. It took me 6 mos. to find a full time nightshift out in the middle of nowhere Texas. I got a measly bonus and moving expense and decent salary b/c of hospital experience. About 9 mos later they hired another pharmacist with no sign on bonus and lower rate than mine and still in the middle of nowhere TX. We also had a part time new graduate with "residency" who was band aiding several part time jobs. I am happy that I left CA.
I paid off my loans a long time ago. I have not found anything and is getting worse, fortunately I will be starting graduate school in a couple of weeks. You are on the right track. Payoff those loans asap. It is mind bugling what your monthly school loan payments are. And all the new students coming in for the promised "milk & honey" need to do a little bit of math & research.. B/c by the time you pay your taxes and your monthly loan payment. what you are left with, you could have done something that wouldn't have put you in over $150k in debt and another 4 years post B.S.(actually 5 with residency) and a less stressful work environment. Oh by the way, I did look into PA and talked to a PA recruiter whom was a PA himself. His advice was to stay out, b/c they are heading in our direction as well. We can talk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Plan B in Buffalo, New York

29 months ago

Misled Duped Betrayed New Graduates in Chicago, Illinois said:

@Misled/Duped,

What direction are you going in terms of grad studies, esp. since you have heard P.A. studies are going to reach supersaturation point just like Pharmacy? Thanks ahead for a reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Plan B in Buffalo, New York said: @Misled/Duped,

What direction are you going in terms of grad studies, esp. since you have heard P.A. studies are going to reach supersaturation point just like Pharmacy? Thanks ahead for a reply.

Hi, Where I am going with a grad. degree. Beside Pharmacy, my undergrad was Nuclear Medicine. I worked as a Nuc Med Tech before going to pharmacy school. And I worked in pharmacy till now. So, all of my work experience has been in healthcare. So, I wanted to be able to apply my "healthcare" experience and marry it with something else where I would be able to do at least the good old 6-figure salary and have the flexibility of working outside of healthcare if I decided to. I did not want to do "grunt" work anymore or play second fiddle to anybody else. I looked into "Healthcare informatics" or any of its variations i.e. pharmacy informatics, nurse informatics... Ruled it out (not enough space to go into detail). So I am going for a "CIO" position and my MS degree is what is going to get me from point "A" to point "B (CIO)" from a top 10 school in the country(I am going for the name and their alumni networking) And I will have the flexibility of going outside of healthcare. Also not a "CMIO". B/C after talking to a couple of friends who work for Alscript, Cerner, and Epic. They all said the same thing, the CMIO positions in hospitals are exclusively reserved for MD's (therefore any "healthcare" informatics positions are going to be reporting to the "MD" CMIO) Outside of that setting you could get a liaison or implementation position with one those software Co. In a nutshell, I did not want to limit myself to pharmacy or healthcare, did not want to do a lateral move just to get a "job"(within pharmacy or healthcare i.e. PA, PT, OT, Nursing...) and did not wish to go down in compensation. I want to guaranty myself a position in the "lifeboat" and for me the only way out is UP, and the only way up is OUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

NO MORE JOB FOR RPH WITHOUT HOSPITAL EXP in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I'VE BEEN APPLYING FOR JOB EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 10 MONTHS,I HAVEN'T GOT A SINGLE CALL EVEN FOR AN INTERVIEW
I'M PHARM.D, 5 YEARS RETAIL EXPERIENCE, NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE, LICENSED IN 2 STATES, MA AND PA
NOW, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO START THINKING ABOUT OPENING MY OWN INDEPENDENT PHARMACY COZ I'LL GET LAID OFF IN LESS THAN A MONTH, I KNOW, IT'S GONNA BE BAD FOR MY PERSONAL LIFE BEING A WOMAN AND WORK 7 DAYS A WEEK LIKE THAT, BUT WHAT I CAN DO ?
MARRY A RICH HUSBAND THEN GO BACK TO SCHOOL ?? LOL...

I just hope, that you have paid off your loans by now if you have any. I am MN graduate as well. Back then when you took a job in retail, it was probably very enticing since they paid a little more. But, sometimes in life you have to settle for a little less, if it provides with more flexibility. My first advice to you is payoff your loans asap. Look at your status overall, if you think it will make any difference to do a residency (slavery for a year in lieu of a few initials) just to get another "job". But, long term wise, I would make plans to exit. Last time I spoke to R. Hadsall a few months back, he said that MN only has two Rph schools, Twin Cities and Duluth. I suppose all the neighboring schools graduates flocking up there.

29 months ago

Roger, Rph in Bethesda, Maryland said: You can see the market for pharmacists overall is steadily decreasing due to the expansion of existing schools and the creation of new ones. Of course this all depends on where the job is located (urban vs. rural) but it definitely is decreasing overall. Check out www.drugschools.com or www.pharmacymanpower.com which tracks the demand of pharmacists nationally and regionally.

This is how it was with rural areas, b/c I have worked at 3 different ones in my career. Rural Areas(back then)>>>>pharmacist scarcity >>>sign on bonuses +above average salary+a few pharmacist to pick from. Now>>>>no sign on bonus+market salary+ overwhelming # of applications.
Those positions are now filled for most part. That option is no longer there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rph's falling off the turnip truck in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Tony B PharmD RPH in Dallas, Texas said: I just graduated last year, had no problem getting a job, these people just want to to keep you away from pharmacy.

I graduated and now am in the highest tax bracket..not many jobs can say that...

KEEP OPENING MORE SCHOOLS!!! THE INTEREST IS THERE..

My job is stressfull, but thats why I make 100k+...

These people are a bunch of liars, stick with pharmacy its a great profession and 100k salary upon graduation!

You must be a graduate of one of the newly formed schools that you are taunting. I am curious to know if your entire graduating class had a " $100,000 pharmacy job" waiting for them? Isn't that one of your/their selling point, "a pharmacy job waiting for you upon graduation", but it is more like "100k salary, but take a number..."
You are right about "keep opening more schools, the interest is there", there is a sucker born every minute...or is it more like truck load of suckers born every minute.
And only $100,000 in Texas of all places with supposedly a "shortage" and a "stressful job". Wow, what happened to the sign on bonus + an office +one hour lunch and two breaks? You got short changed, Big time!

Where is the promised milk and honey in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

Dude, where are these jobs you are talking about? I am looking for one of these jobs. I have been out since Dec. and my loans have kicked in. Could you point me in the direction?
Thank god I found you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

IL RPh market is f*&%d

29 months ago

Where is the promised milk and honey in Chicago, Illinois said: Dude, where are these jobs you are talking about? I am looking for one of these jobs. I have been out since Dec. and my loans have kicked in. Could you point me in the direction?
Thank god I found you!

You new grads in your mid twenties are just too ignorant to listen what older pharmacists have to say. I can tell you that the only new jobs being created in Chicagoland is Marianos. Belongs to Roundys parent company. We only hire Rph at fulltime 35 hours a week because the company dosent want to pay for 40 a week. When I signed on 3 years ago they gave me $7500. When I graduated in 2005 I was offered 20k to work for Walgreens in Kenosha. Todays there are no bonus in southern wisconsin or Chicagoland. I'm not trying to scare off any new graduates because after working 5 years in my neck of the woods you will come to agree.

My boss recently told me that ifmy pharmacy isn't profitable my the end of its second year that Bob Mariano CEO will scrap the pharmacy and turn it into a bank!! Thats the reality.

I'm lucky I had 3 pharmacy jobs at one point... Full time retail part-time hospital and per-diem at temp agency in Milwaukee. I quit temp angency bc I needed a life outside of pharmacy. I work at hospital bc any retail Rph can be replaced in 24 hours in my area with a new grad for less money bc they are so desprate for work.

We are all screwed in this profession. We never needed more pharmacy schools. Big companies like WAG have so much lobbying power to push boards of pharmacy in their direction. If they can pass one law and convince more states that u can open a pharmacy with just technicians and Rph can verify and counsel for corperate when are we going to put all these Rphs. 30% or more of our profession is employeed by WAG or CVS. Do the math.

If they wanted to they could chop everyone sally back to 100k and we wouldn't be able to do a dam thing abt it

flrph in miami, Florida

29 months ago

Or 80k or 60k.... It's coming. I took a "full time" position 4 months ago with W. I seldom get full time hours. When I ask why? I get no response from DM

29 months ago

IL RPh market is f*&%d said: You new grads in your mid twenties are just too ignorant to listen what older pharmacists have to say. I can tell you that the only new jobs being created in Chicagoland is Marianos. Belongs to Roundys parent company. We only hire Rph at fulltime 35 hours a week because the company dosent want to pay for 40 a week. When I signed on 3 years ago they gave me $7500. When I graduated in 2005 I was offered 20k to work for Walgreens in Kenosha. Todays there are no bonus in southern wisconsin or Chicagoland. I'm not trying to scare off any new graduates because after working 5 years in my neck of the woods you will come to agree.

My boss recently told me that ifmy pharmacy isn't profitable my the end of its second year that Bob Mariano CEO will scrap the pharmacy and turn it into a bank!! Thats the reality.

Thanks for the reply. But, It wasn't meant to be serious. It was a response to an idiotic ranting of an idiot. But, I have been there, I have done that. I graduated in the late 90's. As matter of fact last position I took 3 years ago, in the boonies of TX paid me a sign on bonus plus semi annual bonuses and above average salary and moving expenses(this was out in the middle of nowhere TX). And in proceeding years, they hired a couple of newbies 6 months apart with no sign on bonuses, and market rate (under 50). And it took me another 6 mos. to get that position. I knew we were heading for trouble when CA went from 3 pharmacy school to about 13, and abolished their own written exam(Now NAPLEX) I hope you that you have paid off all of your student loans, if you had any. You are experiencing it first hand as to what has been happening to pharmacy. You realize that even your position is not safe. I would pay off all my debt and start training for an alternative to fall back on. I was hospitalized for 4 Mos. and looking since Mar. I gave it 3 months, and proceeded with plan B. Graduate school.

29 months ago

flrph in miami, Florida said: Or 80k or 60k.... It's coming. I took a "full time" position 4 months ago with W. I seldom get full time hours. When I ask why? I get no response from DM

I was talking to a recruiter for a short term assignment. She told me that the pay is low. I said how low? $45/hr low. Now, this is how recruiters are also taking advantage of the GLUT. B/C, I was contacted by another recruiter who also had a short term assignment as well. Well, his turned out to be exactly the same position as hers. But with a slight difference, $48/hr. This is just to demonstrate that the downward slide has begun. $45/hr is what I made in my position about 12 years ago. Also, for short term assignments back then, they paid a premium, about 25% higher, to get a pharmacist . Recruiters get paid by the employers, but now they are taking a slice out of our slice of the pie.

29 months ago

John in Madison, New Jersey said: I find this whole discussion interesting. I always regretted not going to Pharmacy school, even though I eventually received MS degrees in med chem and in pharmaceutics. While all you "doctors" were making big bucks, I was slaving away for peanuts in a corporate lab twiddling test tubes. Ultimately, I went to law school, which turned out to be an even bigger mistake. For those of you contemplating law school as a way to "save" your career, I have news for you. Law is 10x more competitive than pharmacy school. Plus, you'll spend at least $150,000 getting that degree and then have to pass a bar exam (if you can). Then upon bar passage, you'll face your biggest hurdle ... finding a job that will allow you to pay off your massive student loan debt. Currently, I'm unemployed and it doesn't look good.

I can attest to that. One of my brothers is a graduate of Northwestern , JD LLM. And have been unemployed for over 3 years now. He started his own practice just to be able to pay his monthly loan payments. His minor in undergrad. was Accounting, working on completing his acct. degress and passing the CPA exam. I have been witnessing my field joining theirs. Another brother who is a periodontist surg. also a Northwestern Graduate. (Dentistry, which has gone through this a couple of decades ago.) Excess dental schools closed after they had flooded the market, # of applicants dropped. They had a taste of their own medicine. I will be starting graduate school this fall at Northwestern as well, trying to "reinvent" myself, again, out of pharmacy and healthcare. Sick of "reinvention". Amongst the three of us, by the time I graduate will have about 12 degrees. Looking back at my journey, sometimes I wonder if I should have been better off continuing on from high school wood shop to trade school and became a master carpenter...I sometimes get a case of "Is it greener on the other side!"

29 months ago

[QUOTE who="pwnttothemax in Columbus make yourself more attractive to the job market. imagine if every profession whined this much and tried to regulate who could go into a field. there would simply not be jobs for anyone. problem solved? DERP

"and tried to regulate who could go into a field. there would simply not be jobs for anyone" Are you from another plant? where they don't "regulate" the number of graduates, saturation, and yet there is a "job for everyone"! I think you have it the other way around. Are you sure you went to Pharmacy school and not a Fuzzy school?

29 months ago

ladybug in Evergreen Park, Illinois said: We really need to start thinking outside the box. Can you imagine what pharmacy is going to be like if pharmacists are not filling the prescriptions. The pharmacy is completely run by techs. It could happen from the looks of things. What are the pharmacists going to be doing? Pharmacists will be working in doctors' offices. Pharmacists will get the diagnosis from the docs and come up with a medication plan, write the prescriptions and hand it to the patient. The patient will take it to the corner drugstore and it will be filled by techs. Of course the techs will then have heightened responsibilities. They will have to start carrying liability insurance for the mistakes they will make. Techs will have to learn more about the medicine than they know now. The drug interactions will be caught by pharmacists before the script is even written. In hospitals, the pharmacists wont be in the pharmacy, they will be making rounds with doctors.

It never ceases to amaze me how brainwashed pharmacy students or new graduates are in their thinking, that somehow MDs are all ignorant imbeciles who lack any knowledge of drugs. That somehow their "pharmacology brain block" is missing and it is the pharmacist role to fill in the blank. Here is a good example of someone who drank the Kool Aid! For your own sake, I hope you are either working or have a position at whatever 5% university hospital you are trained at. B/C once you graduate and get out of your "bubble" and end up in one of the other 95% you will be "enlightened." And I do mean it in a kind way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.