Lies about pharmacist job market

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (401 to 450 of 853)
Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

Hello 12 in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: Sure if you want a job that "workd with people", pharmacy is for you. You'll be able to fend off the hoards of bitching customers who are baying for your blood because their Rx is not ready due to no staff, argue over the phone with insurance companies and explain to your PDM why you haven't met their totally unrealistic targets. Sounds like you'll be perfect for this job :)

Any healthcare job, actually.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama

24 months ago

Hello 12 in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: Sure if you want a job that "workd with people", pharmacy is for you. You'll be able to fend off the hoards of bitching customers who are baying for your blood because their Rx is not ready due to no staff, argue over the phone with insurance companies and explain to your PDM why you haven't met their totally unrealistic targets. Sounds like you'll be perfect for this job :)

The pharmacy schools in america have a great poster to CHALLENGE those skeptical individuals who are making claims of market saturation, wage deflation, crummy work conditions, and will thus will PROVE that THEY( and THEY alone !!! )... the credential experts, KNOW what the future... Here is their
poster www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/76136/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama said: Yes they do. This is happening all over society. It's hard to believe it but there are owners of these schools. The industry insiders knew what they were doing. They are not stupid, they have the power, influence & money to create the illusion of a shortage and make it appear as if there is one. To save face, they will do everything they can to push RPh's out of the system to employ as many PharmD's as they can and to dismiss older Rph's as being unqualified. This is one way how they will do damage control. In an earlier post I said if one's grades are good enough to get into an IVY League school, do that, and then major in finiance & economics .

I've been complaining on here about these schools, and some of them went and chased me around on here. One complained, and I can't start any threads now.
The business of dismissing older people, yep...seen that in my profession too. And many places hire people out of school and want you to train them. I lost a job that way. After I had good reviews too.
I think the only way out is to start one's own business. I'd like to get a bunch of healthcare pros together as a consulting and marketing group for medicine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama said: The pharmacy schools in america have a great poster to CHALLENGE those skeptical individuals who are making claims of market saturation, wage deflation, crummy work conditions, and will thus will PROVE that THEY( and THEY alone !!! )... the credential experts, KNOW what the future... Here is their
poster www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/76136/

Medicine is such a business now. I notice at the grocery stores how the pharmacies are open all the time now.
I remember when people had jobs and could go home on the weekends and be with family and friends. Now, they've convinced everyone they need stores open 24/7. They say that's what people want, but in reality, the businesses just want more money.

I feel like our skills and knowledge are treated like nothing, and we are treated like slaves by bean counters. I would imagine this will get worse as the graduates pour out of these schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: I've been complaining on here about these schools, and some of them went and chased me around on here. One complained, and I can't start any threads now.
The business of dismissing older people, yep...seen that in my profession too. And many places hire people out of school and want you to train them. I lost a job that way. After I had good reviews too.
I think the only way out is to start one's own business. I'd like to get a bunch of healthcare pros together as a consulting and marketing group for medicine.

I work at a pharmacy that was planing an expansion. But in today's world it's to big a risk... right now. Eventually these chains will be overextended, (if they are not already,) ( yes that means WAG's ,RAD, & CVS..) if you go to their websites you can see their empty crummy real estate holdings from the days they purchased the REVCO's, Thrifty Payless, K&B, Harco's,Eckards, Big B, and dozens of other small chains that were gobbled up, aided and abetted by the likes of Sam Zell ...Mr Real Estate .. hedge fund manager... and the so called pharmacist shortage was created... But all this massive debt will catch up with them. That;s why they are beating the sh*t out of thier staff's filling 400 plus RX's a day and the DM's are NEVER satisfied.

24 months ago

Dada in Bradenton, Florida said: It is not that 40% of the workforce is retiring. It is that management would like to replace 40% of the workforce. The new retirement age for pharmacist is 50. These folks do a great job but if management is looking for a meet the public 24yr old the hair dye is just not going to cut it. Management does not look upon pharmacists as professionals but more as clerks.

They do this with a lot of professions now. They view us like we have no skills in any profession. Just what money they make off us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Kennedy Kelly in West Lafayette, Indiana said: Please, don't treat me like a child. I have read up on the surplus and I know what is going on. I knew what was going on when I started this path 4 years ago. But I picked it because I got a good enough scholarship to Purdue so I won't be in debt, I love the field, and I know I can get a job. The reason for this surplus is not because of people like me. It's the people being pumped out of these money hungry, "here's your degree, pay at the door" schools. Or the people who get into this field not knowing anything about it and not gaining any extra experience besides pharmd. Or the people who won't relocate or work for a 5 digit salary. In fact, reading this thread, I haven't seen anyone saying they will work anywhere across the country. They usually name a big city . There isn't a nationwide surplus, it's only in big cities. If a person is really willing to be working pharmacy right now, they would be. Also, about 40% of the pharmacy work force is at about retiring age. Look at other facts besides the ones that support your opinions Do not put down other's dreams because you don't want to fight for a job or want a better salary. (Again, not directly pointed at you necessarily, but more towards the people who post in all caps that the pharmacy market is dead. That's just unnecessary and untrue. All of this just has me so fired up.)

Why do you people use the word, "dreams" when referring to your job? It makes no sense.

RxLies in Wilmington, North Carolina

24 months ago

Great analysis. They are many comments being made here. Is everyone telling as many pharmacists as you can to look at these pages. We need to forward this to as many as we can. It will get to the students faster and they will realize the truth. It will also get to all the organizations that have made this mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Vivekapply in pomona, California said: Top 10 jobs in US are from health care field.So more and more colleges will be opened in healthcare sector. It will end when government will stop providing loan to each and every student.

Don't worry, the schools will find a way to supply loans.

Amherst Healthcare in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

24 months ago

Hi,
I am seeking a Pharmacy Manager for an Independent pharmacy located in Wyoming. If anyone is qualified with Community Pharmacy experience, or Out patient pharmacy experience, then contact me.

This company is a great place to work because:
This is one of the largest in pharmacy when it comes to number of prescriptions filled per store, per day. Their pharmacists fill more than 12-million prescriptions a year. Their professional dedication to Retail Health makes them unique from other retailers. They believe patient education is essential to effective healthcare. They utilize strong levels of trained non-pharmacist personnel to allow their pharmacists time for private, one-on-one consultations with patients. They lead the country in pharmacist support.

Their ideal candidate has strong customer service, patient interactions skills and interest, and has worked in a Retail pharmacy setting. They are looking for a pharmacist who is ready for a management role and excited to grow a new business.

Position is located in rural Wyoming. If interested forward me your resume ASAP to
iinokon @ AmherstHealthcare.com (Make sure to remove the spaces before sending the email)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

23 months ago

I graduated in 1982 and 1997. I have worked retail/ambulatory care for 29 years. My last job, I held for nine years. I resigned in 2010 to care for my elderly parents. I didn't know the market had changed. I am unable to get a job. I am extremely angry. I never imagined I would be unable to sell myself in the current market. I have no problem with an ample supply of colleagues, but academia has rendered my current skill set less than adequate. I was asked recently if I had a residency! I have 30 years of residency!

Academia is like any other business. Piling on more ‘services’ makes more money. There was nothing wrong with the skill set achieved by getting a BSP. The powers that be wanted us to be “doctors.” The Doctor of Pharmacy degree became the price of admittance. I bought one so I would have the ‘union card.’ Now, I can’t get a job. There are simply too many pharmacists. I hold you responsible.

To take thousands of dollars from a customer, without notifying them of the over supply, is criminal. There are clinical ramifications to this over supply. I have had to ‘put my foot down’ regarding clinically untenable corporate practices. The last incident? I was without help for three days straight. That pharmacy did 120-150 Rxs per day. It was UNSAFE to attempt to provide clinical services while running the cash register, answering the phone, receiving prescriptions from four sources (E, walk-in, phone, fax), adjusting inventory, dealing with prior authorizations, requesting refills, putting away the order, dispensing drugs....etc. I was told by the store manager to “Suck it up!”

snip continued

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

23 months ago

Continued
Disrespected, exhausted, and fearing for my patients, I did the UNTHINKABLE. I closed the pharmacy for two hours and walked out. I was distraught at abandoning my patients! I could not return to work that day. Question? How is a pharmacist with mountains of debt (school, home, car, children to feed, and all the rest) supposed to stand up to clinically untenable situations if they fear for their job? They can’t. Academia’s goal of independent Doctors of Pharmacy making clinical decisions is now moot.

Should academia (a business) care about the over selling of their product? You betcha. All of the ‘progress’ made in clinically advancing pharmacy is about to be lost. Lack of power to confront patient care issues, downward pressure on wages, inability of qualified practitioners to find jobs, all effect academia in the long run. Your business is at risk. It won’t be long before word reaches the community (market) that pharmacy is a poor long term investment. Recruits will dry up and no one will want your product. Welcome to my world.

With much consternation,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

23 months ago

I am very sad. Pharmacy was a wonderful profession. I always thought that if I "made one person's life better" I had had a good day. I caught many serious medical issues that needed immediate triage. I liked the autonomy, complexity, patient contact, and problem solving involved in pharmacy practice. If you owe tons of money you have NO ability to disagree with the corporate entity that hired you. The pharmacy profession has been cheapened by coupons, non pharmacist management, PBMs, and money hungry schools. We used to provide DUR/MTM, drug interactions, triage, and patient assessment.

Now you need a residency to learn what we did as a normal course of practice. I am very angry I can't get a job. I am more angry at the powers that be for ruining our wonderful profession. The schools speak out of both sides of their mouths. They teach pie-in-the-sky clinical skills that we considered normal practice. They raise students expectations. They make sure they can get a job straight out of school. But don't try to leave...you will be in trouble. My advise stay away from pharmacy. It's a dead end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

flrph in miami, Florida

23 months ago

The degradation of the Pharmacy Profession lies at the hand of APhA, state pharmacy associations, and every dean of every pharmacy school that has allowed pharmacy to bece simple assembly line factory work at the behest of retail pharmacy and all it's political associations and PACs. I just finished three days of factory work at America's biggest retailer pharmacy filling 400+/day, that's an Rx every 90 seconds folks, without any errors... I HOPE!
Understaffed, overwhelmed at all levels of the operation. The company creates four positions - drop off, production, verification, and pick up yet only gives only 16 hours of help to to it all. Somebody will eventually be harmed.Maybe then it will change. Probably not. The bean counters weigh liability vs. profit and the insurance companies suck up the cost that's passed onto the consumer.
Pharmacy has been on a slippery slope for decades. The bulb is about to burn out along with the hundreds of souls that once were dedicated to public service.
The legislators and academics and the corporate hierarchy should be ashamed of what they have allowed Pharmacy to become. All pharmacist should have a back up plan and never depend on their pharmacy job as a sole source of income. You are not indispenaible. You are just a number and all your dedication and hard work to the employer will be held in disregard if they find issue with you. You will be gone in a second. Don't take it personal. It's just pharmacy in the 21st century.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

23 months ago

flrph in miami, Florida said:
I just finished three days of factory work at America's biggest retailer pharmacy filling 400+/day, that's an Rx every 90 seconds folks, without any errors... I HOPE!
Understaffed, overwhelmed at all levels of the operation. The company creates four positions - drop off, production, verification, and pick up yet only gives only 16 hours of help to to it all. Somebody will eventually be harmed.Maybe then it will change.

I have worked at those rates. No time for any clinical thinking. I worked for that place. I quit. They wrote me up for speaking with patients. The reality? They want to convert our position into a vending machine. Insert bar-coded Rx, TP card, and the machine will kick out the Rx. What?? No refills...no 72 hour supply, Storm coming want some sooner?? Forget it. Have a possible reaction? Call the Call center for "professional personal advise" No matter that you can't see the pt. to detect other possible problems.

The board of pharmacy needs to proactively stop this "Lucy in the chocolate factory" mentality. It is difficult to set a rate per hour. Sometimes everything is smooth. Other days it's hard to get anything out. My fantasy? Boards of pharmacy set a rule of at least one tech per pharmacist or some similar parameter.

Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this? We can't all not show up one day. There are tons ready to replace us. A union? That may help. I didn't get in trouble when I left in the middle of the day because of physical, emotional, mental overload.

The manager lied to corporate. Said I was incompetent, mentally ill. I wasn't. There was a witness that came to my defense. He was written up. Didn't solve the problem. I left. My beloved profession is has been ruined by the very powers that are supposed to nurture and protect the profession. Sigh.

IL RPh mark is f'ed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

23 months ago

Rx Veteran in Maryland said: I have worked at those rates. No time for any clinical thinking. I worked for that place. I quit. They wrote me up for speaking with patients. The reality? They want to convert our position into a vending machine. Insert bar-coded Rx, TP card, and the machine will kick out the Rx. What?? No refills...no 72 hour supply, Storm coming want some sooner?? Forget it. Have a possible reaction? Call the Call center for "professional personal advise" No matter that you can't see the pt. to detect other possible problems.

The board of pharmacy needs to proactively stop this "Lucy in the chocolate factory" mentality. It is difficult to set a rate per hour. Sometimes everything is smooth. Other days it's hard to get anything out. My fantasy? Boards of pharmacy set a rule of at least one tech per pharmacist or some similar parameter.

Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this? We can't all not show up one day. There are tons ready to replace us. A union? That may help. I didn't get in trouble when I left in the middle of the day because of physical, emotional, mental overload.

The manager lied to corporate. Said I was incompetent, mentally ill. I wasn't. There was a witness that came to my defense. He was written up. Didn't solve the problem. I left. My beloved profession is has been ruined by the very powers that are supposed to nurture and protect the profession. Sigh.

walgreens and CVS have one of there own employees on the "boards of pharmacy" in almost every state. They push laws in favor of whats good for their companies not whats good for their profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PharmJ in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

The truth that the pharmacy market is completely saturated is sadly true. I graduated from pharmacy school in 2011, and afterwards I moved to Florida because that is my original home state. I wanted to be close to my family. Even before passing my boards, I actually was able to land a job with Walgreens at a call center, who told me it was going to be a temporary-permanent position, depending on my "performance." Obviously, I worked really hard and very well, but afterwards, their need for me and about 10 others were no longer needed and our services were no longer required. For the next three months, I was looking for a job, responding to every post on craigslist, jobbing, indeed, monster, etc, but to no avail. I would follow-up with every resume and job application submitted, only to get no response to my emails or phonecalls. I was finally told by a friend who said to actually go into the place and ask to speak to the hiring manager, which I did. I put on interviewing attire and had a determination that I was not going to leave until I am seen. I went to the HR area of the hospital and asked to speak to the individual for hiring pharmacist, the secretary told me she would check to see if she is still there. After 5 minutes, she came back gave me a card and told me to give them a call, after I told them I have been doing so, she said that the number she just gave me was the recruiter's personal number. So, I left, and that drive home was the worst feeling ever, I was practically in tears, thinking I made a mistake, couldn't find a career and I have an enormous debt accruing. Eventually, I had to leave Florida, and moved to Texas, the market over here is still good. Shortly after moving, I was given a job at an independent pharmacy (watch out for those!). I did land a job I wanted. Unless your willing to move to another state, and in the middle of nowhere, you might want to reconsider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NavyGirl7 in San Diego, California

23 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Will you have to 'explain' you move to TX?? I hear that parts of the south & TX aren't that welcoming toward those from the east especially the northeast. Besides how do you explaining moving somewhere without a job lined up??

I am not sure what you have heard, but Texas is an extremely welcoming and polite state. The only time Texans generally don't like people is when they are not willing to do hard work and earn their own living. Texas has a thriving economy and has true southern hospitality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

The reality of pharmacy and standard healthcare in the USA is that it was mostly never based on the idea of helping sick people get better.... It only masks symptoms....
If someone were to choose something in healthcare..... I would look to alternative healthcare.... I think it will gain ground ( in the right circles ) because the current based system is not really making people healthy. It only encourages polypharmacy. Especially in retail.
How about the numerous "pain" clinics all over the county. Nice eh....
Americans are pill popping maniacs. If the powers that be, really wanted to revolutionize healthcare and pharmacy they would have adopted a different approach to pharmacy a long time ago.... But No... they built retail stores with pharmacies where a person can pick up porkrinds and get their hypertensive medicine at the same time. They used 4 buck rx's to cheapen you... demoralize the status, while lying to you about the pharmacist shortage. Yet the schools crank out more graduates with debt loads as large as a mortgage. Yet MD's and pharmacists have failed to form an alliance or even coownership ( by law ) and as a result, they are conquered, alienated, and must see more people and get them on more medicines and fill more rx's just to keep their jobs.... However MD's have the ability to make much more of a difference in this situation than pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PharmJ in Brandon, Florida

23 months ago

The only reason why I moved to Texas without a job lined up, was because of the fact that my fiance at the time (wife now), was in texas and suggested that I move to Texas because the market was better here, due to the presence of the medical center. My wife had a job and I didn't want my wife to move to Florida without either of us having a job. So, I decided to move to Texas because even if I can't find work, at least she has a job and we will get some sort of income coming towards us.
Now, I am starting to hear that the market in Texas is getting worse, there is a tech, who graduated from pharmacy school, can't find a job and continues to work as a technician. Honestly, we really need to unionize and put a stop on them opening up pharmacy schools. I hate the fact that they are now saying that to get a job in a hospital you need a residency, and yet I spent time shadowing the technicians during my rotation. Some people who even do the residency end up landing a job as a staff pharmacist!
I feel really badly for those entering pharmacy school and have this blind view thinking they are going to land a job w/ a sign on bonus as soon as they get out, because thats what i was thinking :-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Where is the promised milk and honey in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

Hello everyone,

I have been away for a while, just came back to see and share something that everyone on this board loves to hear. I just got an e.mail, looking for an "Associate Dean" for a new pharmacy school to be opening up in CA in 2014. I believe, this is going to be CA's #13 or #14 pharmacy school(Can not keep up anymore). Here is the link , for a "job" opening within Pharmacy:
pharm.wy.associationcareernetwork.com/JobSeeker/JobDetail.aspx?abbr=PHARM.WY&jobid=d1478e60-bbc7-4e3a-aaf7-7ab63621d274&stats=y
Oh, I forgot to mention, a couple of months ago, heard from a recruiter that a 6th pharmacy school in Chicago will be opening as well. Boy, am I glad about taking a huge leap of faith, to go back to graduate school and get out of this sinking ship...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Wow1 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: During my investigation into pharmD school, a clinical pharmacist shared this 2012 publication with me.

(I tried to copy and paste the link here, but the forum kept telling me my post was showing vulgar language) Follow this:
1) Go to thomasland.metapress.com/content
2) Search in FIND box (right-hand side of screen): "Impact of New Pharmcy Schools Cada". click GO (Dennis Cada is the author)
3) Click on PDF link

Thank you for the published article. I don't know whether you are still thinking about pharmacy school or not. I think you said you are studying for PCAT to get into the 3rd school opening up. In this market and where it is headed, If I was to gamble with odds against me, I would only apply to a state school where the tuition is relatively less expensive. But from reading your earlier remarks, it seems you have set your sight on pharmacy regardless.
Why not go all the way, to medical school! At least with them, they are holding the line on the number of students they take each year. The hardest part, is the first two years, just like pharmacy school. I graduated in 1996 with a PharmD from MN. All my loans are paid up, and no family or kids. I am going back to graduate school, b/c of the fact with over 9 years of hospital "Clinical" pharmacy experience as well as 3 years of Nuclear Pharmacy with an undergrad degree and experience in Nuclear Medicine , I have not been able to find a job. I just posted another ad for an associate dean of a new pharmacy school to open in CA in 2014. You are in what I consider "noble" profession, teaching. I would highly recommend to you to see if you can spend a week at a retail chain with a pharmacist as well as a hospital pharmacist and experience the work place and see if it is your cup of tea.
It is the quality of life that counts not the size of the paycheck, unless your wants outweigh your needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

RxLies in Wilmington, North Carolina

22 months ago

We need to make sure current students and future students know the reality of the current market and the working conditions. Not sure how to do this because I know how hard-headed young people can be. They only see the salary. It will be easier to get through to the prospective students but how? Since most of us are afraid of being fired for speaking out, we need recent retired pharmacists to step up and speak on our behalf. Get the word out to high-school guidance counselors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

flrph in miami, Florida

22 months ago

Don't chase the pot of fold at the end of the Ivy hallway. Enter a career that fulfills what you Lile to do for enjoemt and fun. Think broad. Start with "do I like being indoors or outdoors?" Then " what do I like to do for self enrichment? - music, arts, sciences? Then find some aspect of this that can provide a good salary. Not a superstar guitar player... Choose something else in the music industry that keeps you close to music.
Going to job you hate everyday is no way to spend 1/3-1/2 of you life.
Don't do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

ben in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania said: So pharmacy, physical theraphy, computer , engineer , business , finance etc.. all have issues with finding job or creating stable work environment than whats left.

I believe every career has up and downs. It is you as an individual who is sole responsible for your success.

And where is the guarantee in pharmacy? The words of private pharmacy school recruiters!
Yes, medical school with residency in anything but GP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EmptyChair in New York, New York

22 months ago

EDUCATION=17 YEARS..................EXPERIENCE=18 YEARS(MAJOR HOSPITAL)+11 YEARS(MAJOR CHAIN).............FIRED(JUNE 2012).......62 YRS OLD.........
LOST HOME.................LOST FAMILY..............X'MAS EVE 2012..........................................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TJ Pharm D in Corona, California

22 months ago

Living the dream said: I also lost my job a few months ago the pharmacy sold out. I am 50 and thought I would not be able to find a job I pharmacy again. I had sent out 100s of resume' and not any responses. But I did not give up, I kept trying. Now, after many months I have found a great job and that job just happened to be in on of the most beautiful places on earth. So , don't give up.. This is a hard time to be without a job. If you don't give up you will find a great job

Merry Christmas
G

Where did you find this job?

Living the dream in Puyallup, Washington

22 months ago

I found it in Hawaii.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Concerned Pharmacist in Los Angeles, California

22 months ago

Anyone out there doing reserve duty for the military? I was sent an offer sheet by the Navy in the mail and upon speaking to a recruiter, I am interested but would like some insider inforation.
Thanks

hardwrkrphNJ in New Brunswick, New Jersey

22 months ago

I know someone who works for an army pharmacy and if I had to do it again I would have joined. The military pharmacist are the best treated professionals Ive seen and they dont have to worry about the dreaded bottom dollar like retail pharmacists. If you willing to accept some harassment from high ranking military personal than you be fine and then you can retire after a reasonable time with benefits. Keep in mind that all jobs have pros and cons but no one will come in and fire you for no filling a quota or b/c they can get a new graduate for 10 dollars less. I also heard the navy is alot better than the army so good luck!!!

The Concerned Pharmacist in Los Angeles, California

22 months ago

Thanks for the info. I am planning to do the reserves to get my feet wet with the military. I did speak to the Army and Air Force as well and it seems the Navy is the best so you are correct. Would this pharmacist you know be willing to email me (if you have his or her email) so that I may ask some questions? Thanks and Happy New Year. May this year be a good one for us all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

flrph in miami, Florida

22 months ago

Look into Indian Health Services also. Pseudo-military with same pay and ranks.

me112233 in Nashville, Tennessee

22 months ago

DisillusionedOne in New York, New York said: Pharmacy, as a career, is dead. People keep saying, well maybe, in the future, they'll morph into providing health services. Keeep dreaming! Nurse practitioners will fill that role if push comes to shove. So, unfortunately, you have to just keep memorizing your top 200 drugs only to find out that in the real world, everything you learned is already automated.
Techs are doing the "technical" work and pharmacists are reviewing the drugs that have already been scanned a million times on a computerized system to prove the drug is the drug prescribed, if there are interactions, etc. You really think chains will continue to pay pharmacists that lovely living salary to do what the automation already does. Ha. Knee-slapper!
If you're young enough and still thinking about pharmacy, think twice. Join another profession....oh wait, you could STILL be a pharmacy professor in one of the half a billion pharmacy schools in the U.S. That's one place that's still hiring pharmacists. Now your job will be to run the profession into the ground even worse than it already is by saturating the market.

DissillusionedOne

Your mention of nurse practitioners doing the role of pharmacists is sort of the entire problem. The pharmacist and his grand salary is literally a function of licensing laws. We all know that a PharmD is NOT a necessary thing to handle work at a retail pharmacy. The old BS in pharmacy is adequate; literally, a BS is more than adequate, as there are plenty of older pharmacists operating off a BS this very day. We could easily take most anyone with a scientific aptitude (say someone with a degree in chemistry of biology) give them one year of classroom plus one year of experience-rotations, and we would have a competent retail pill counter. The party is over. Especially in Tennessee. Ten years ago, there was ONE pharmacy school in Tennessee, now there is six of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

21 months ago

Still trying. Will NOT give up and will NOT take a job where speaking to patients is verboten. I am very humble about my successes, but I am changing. I directly saved a life at my last job. I saved her life specifically because I spoke to her. Pt. was using short acting pain meds. She said "I will be in Friday to get this filled." I offered to have it ready, so she gave me the prescription. It was Fentanyl 100mcg in a naive patient. Seems she couldn't afford it and had lied to the MD about her use. She didn't want to make him mad. I explained it was a severe OD and could have easily killed her. I called her (nasty) physician. He said she told him "she was using it." That she was going to another store. Nope. They called the patient. We did this type of intervention frequently. Now production take precedent over health care. I will NOT Give UP. I'm getting a good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frances1010 in Brooklyn, New York

19 months ago

holmes in River Grove, Illinois said: Do not believe some of the lies being written here regarding lack of job opportunities for pharmacists. These liars are trying to scare people off from applying to pharmacy school because they fear that supply will overtake demand. Fact is, pharmacists make tons of money right out of school and there are and will be many job openings in the future. This is all just a feeble attempt to prevent people from entering this lucrative field. Liars!

Unfortunately this is not true. Do not encourage others to make a mistake. It makes sense this profession has severely limited it's potential. The number of schools has doubled, very efficient automation has become commonplace, as well as the use of technicians. MTM has no willing financiers. Your outlook is positive but not, at all realistic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

19 months ago

[QUOTE]Unfortunately this is not true. Do not encourage others to make a mistake. It makes sense this profession has severely limited it's potential. The number of schools has doubled, very efficient automation has become commonplace, as well as the use of technicians. MTM has no willing financiers. Your outlook is positive but not, at all realistic.

I am so glad the word is getting out. (PHARMACY SCHOOL IS A CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE DESIGNED TO SEPARATE YOU FROM YOUR MONEY.) It is criminal because the educators KNOW there is no market for your services.

The whole time they fill your head with platitudes of BS about what a superhero you are going to be. I interrupted a respected professor. She was waxing poetic about some type of intervention. I asked her if she knew of any corporate entity that would pay you to do these interventions...errr....silence.

It breaks my heart that pharmacy's educators, NABP, organizations (Where are you APhA, community pharmacy organizations?) have not protected the profession from the vultures. Turns out THEY ARE the vultures. The MBA model of screwing the life out of high cost centers has worked. I haven't seen a good pharmacist in years because they don't have time and NEED their job. If nothing happens, pharmacy's proud history will be just that history.

Stay far, Far away from pharmacy schools.

18 months ago

Where is the promised milk and honey in Chicago, Illinois said: [/QUO

MTM is a real game changer

news.wfsu.org/post/house-approves-letting-pharmacists-oversee-six-times-many-technicians

18 months ago

Frances1010 in Brooklyn, New York said: Unfortunately this is not true. Do not encourage others to make a mistake. It makes sense this profession has severely limited it's potential. The number of schools has doubled, very efficient automation has become commonplace, as well as the use of technicians. MTM has no willing financiers. Your outlook is positive but not, at all realistic.

Here is some realism for you

news.wfsu.org/post/house-approves-letting-pharmacists-oversee-six-times-many-technicians

18 months ago

Rx Veteran in Maryland said: Still trying. Will NOT give up and will NOT take a job where speaking to patients is verboten. I am very humble about my successes, but I am changing. I directly saved a life at my last job. I saved her life specifically because I spoke to her. Pt. was using short acting pain meds. She said "I will be in Friday to get this filled." I offered to have it ready, so she gave me the prescription. It was Fentanyl 100mcg in a naive patient. Seems she couldn't afford it and had lied to the MD about her use. She didn't want to make him mad. I explained it was a severe OD and could have easily killed her. I called her (nasty) physician. He said she told him "she was using it." That she was going to another store. Nope. They called the patient. We did this type of intervention frequently. Now production take precedent over health care . I will NOT Give UP. I'm getting a good job.

18 months ago

RxLies in Wilmington, North Carolina said: We need to make sure current students and future students know the reality of the current market and the working conditions. Not sure how to do this because I know how hard-headed young people can be. They only see the salary. It will be easier to get through to the prospective students but how? Since most of us are afraid of being fired for speaking out, we need recent retired pharmacists to step up and speak on our behalf. Get the word out to high-school guidance counselors.

Here you go share this :

18 months ago

Rx Veteran in Maryland said: [QUOTE]Unfortunately this is not true. Do not encourage others to make a mistake. It makes sense this profession has severely limited it's potential. The number of schools has doubled, very efficient automation has become commonplace, as well as the use of technicians. MTM has no willing financiers. Your outlook is positive but not, at all realistic.

I am so glad the word is getting out. (PHARMACY SCHOOL IS A CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE DESIGNED TO SEPARATE YOU FROM YOUR MONEY.) It is criminal because the educators KNOW there is no market for your services.

Show them this article :

The whole time they fill your head with platitudes of BS about what a superhero you are going to be. I interrupted a respected professor. She was waxing poetic about some type of intervention. I asked her if she knew of any corporate entity that would pay you to do these interventions...errr....silence.

It breaks my heart that pharmacy's educators, NABP, organizations (Where are you APhA, community pharmacy organizations?) have not protected the profession from the vultures. Turns out THEY ARE the vultures. The MBA model of screwing the life out of high cost centers has worked. I haven't seen a good pharmacist in years because they don't have time and NEED their job. If nothing happens, pharmacy's proud history will be just that history.

Stay far, Far away from pharmacy schools.

18 months ago

PharmJ in Brandon, Florida said: The only reason why I moved to Texas without a job lined up, was because of the fact that my fiance at the time (wife now), was in texas and suggested that I move to Texas because the market was better here, due to the presence of the medical center. My wife had a job and I didn't want my wife to move to Florida without either of us having a job. So, I decided to move to Texas because even if I can't find work, at least she has a job and we will get some sort of income coming towards us.
Now, I am starting to hear that the market in Texas is getting worse, there is a tech, who graduated from pharmacy school, can't find a job and continues to work as a technician. Honestly, we really need to unionize and put a stop on them opening up pharmacy schools. I hate the fact that they are now saying that to get a job in a hospital you need a residency, and yet I spent time shadowing the technicians during my rotation. Some people who even do the residency end up landing a job as a staff pharmacist!
I feel really badly for those entering pharmacy school and have this blind view thinking they are going to land a job w/ a sign on bonus as soon as they get out, because thats what i was thinking :-(

18 months ago

Useless_RPh_NJ in Florence, New Jersey said: I went to school for 5 years (grad 1988) and studied hard because I wanted to do something good, to HELP people. I sacrificed years of my life to become a pharmacist because I really cared. Since 2008, absolutely no jobs for pharmacists, only see technicians, clerks, and interns! Interns? Residents? REALLY?! I was told by a good source last year, that New Jersey had approximately 660 pharmacists over here on work visas! That's just NJ!!

How can WE, as pharmacists, find out how many of our jobs have been given to foreigners (tax breaks and less pay). I can't afford to send my kid to college , let alone myself at this point. Going back to college for nursing is not an option. Pharmacy is the first profession to be hit, next it will hit the nurses, doctors and so on. One way for the insurance (or government )companies to keep costs down if new healthcare policies adopted. The "men in suits" (the ones with the money and power)continue to fool the public. It's about time the public is made aware of this before its just too late. The entire healthcare industry will be replaced by people from other countries, who are paid less, went to schools that are not comparable to the United States standards and have different cultures. Diversity is good, but not when displacing good caring citizens living here! Some cultures place very low priorities on health care , when it comes to efficiency, safety, and therapeutics. Will it take something catastrophic to wake people up?!

They ain't gonna wake up. If you are unemployed.. Forget pharmacy and forget going back to school, learn a trade... or cut grass news.wfsu.org/post/house-approves-letting-pharmacists-oversee-six-times-many-technicians

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

norphjob in Boca Raton, Florida said: if you do AND YOU GET HIRED,LET US KNOW...MAYBE THERE IS SOME HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay Michaels in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

I think it may be time for unions. We have no power. When pharmacists move up to management they 'sell out' to corporate interest. This shows politicians on both sides care less. Also time for 'Fair Tax'. If u dont know about this tax system dont comment. The fair tax brings competition to rite aid, cvs, walgreens. Like i said u must know all about the fair tax to make an intelligent comment.

So surprised nobody has filed a lawsuit for hippa violation. If they make these pharmacies more open the patient will be counting the pills along side us. Retail pharmacy is at a crossroads, something must give. Corporate management calls us lazy. How? We need the help of retired pharmacists to step up in media. Current pharmacist are unable to get word out to media because we will never have a job again.

And if clinical pharmacist think they are safe, better think again. Where do you think new grads are going?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Jay Michaels in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I think it may be time for unions. We have no power. When pharmacists move up to management they 'sell out' to corporate interest. This shows politicians on both sides care less. Also time for 'Fair Tax'. If u dont know about this tax system dont comment. The fair tax brings competition to rite aid, cvs, walgreens. Like i said u must know all about the fair tax to make an intelligent comment.

So surprised nobody has filed a lawsuit for hippa violation. If they make these pharmacies more open the patient will be counting the pills along side us. Retail pharmacy is at a crossroads, something must give. Corporate management calls us lazy. How? We need the help of retired pharmacists to step up in media. Current pharmacist are unable to get word out to media because we will never have a job again.

And if clinical pharmacist think they are safe, better think again. Where do you think new grads are going?

No body is safe in this environment, patients/customers and jobs. I don't work for a chain and they wouldn't hire me anyway, I'm too old. Plus if they get their way there will be less pharmacists working at these chains even if they do 600 plus rx's a day. If pharmacists could have some real ownership in the equation that is own some more business involved in this ( owning paper shares don't count ) it MAY get better. But I doubt it, pharmacists as a group have had their balls cut off, if they have any balls. It's become a wonderful parttime holly hobby job with lot's of floaters and lot's of GREAT theory

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacist Keith in Shepherdsville, Kentucky

18 months ago

All of these comments sadden me. I've posted my story before. BS-Pharm, Retail pharmacist for many years in a chain. Worked every bit of OT they offered in addition to the store I worked as the pharmacy manager. Traveled all over the state at their beckon call to make sure a store without a pharmacist due to illness etc, stayed open. Form 1999 to 2011 worked on average 70 hours per week. Dec 2011 they said bye bye, replaced me with a new graduate at $20,000 less than I was making who ended up being arrested 3 months later for writing his own rx's. The tech caught him drinking Tussionex right out of the bottle. She then went through his "phoned in" control Rx's and discovered that many where made up by him and never actually phoned in.

Haven't found a "Pharmacist" job since. New schools are cranking out pharm-d's with residencies or MBA's. Why would anyone want to hire a BS-Pharm when they can get these kids at a discounted price. I feel sorry for them since they in many cases have $200,000 or more in student loans.

I found a home based business in the wellness field. I've been working directly with a guy that is a Veterinarian, a Pathologist and a Naturopathic Physician. Seeing people get better, getting off their poisonous pharmaceuticals. Seeing people create extra income as well. I am actually for the first time since pharmacy school enjoying what I am doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Now the game of musical chairs just had TENS of thousands of chairs removed...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay Michaels in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Someone needs to start a Facebook account with all these comments

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

1234 in Salisbury, Maryland

17 months ago

haha in San Angelo, Texas said: new grads are not accepting 80 k range salaries...trust me i have friends who just graduated!!! depends on the area normal retail 120k+ hospital 110k+

Riteaid base rate for a new graduate this year is $45. Do the math, 40 hour per week, that is $7200 per month. Cvs is little better, $50 per hour.

Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.