Pharmacy School Admissions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 153)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

GREG in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

Lori,don't let age define what you should be doing in life. Even if you are forty five years, you are not too old for a pharmacy school. To my knowledge; I think you are in the right age to start contemplating the path to a better career. I started thinking of pharmacy when I was in my early twenties, and I have never given up the dream since I made up my mind. I have few science classes to take and then start applying. If things don't go right for my first attempt at the admission then I will just go ahead and major in biochem and then re-apply to multiple schools not excluding out of state. I have been looking at some of the admission statistics on some pharm schools and it seems there are more mature students than I first thought. The age range in most prominent pharmacy schools are from 28 to 48yrs old. You will be surprise to see that more than half of the class in most pharmacy schools are in their thirties. just do it and don't let age deter you from your dream. I would mind getting out of pharmacy school when I am in my late thirties or early forties, it is worthed. Takecare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Monroe Township, New Jersey

77 months ago

23 is not too old, I have one dude that is about 30 in my bio class and another lady that is about 25 and pregnant in my chem class.. I feel that admissions like the nontraditional students because they are less likely to screw up their grades..
What classes did you take for your bachelors? a high PCAT is what most people aim for and Pharm tech experience is definetly a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Miamisburg, Ohio

76 months ago

I am 37, married, with 5 kids, and in the "approach" process for pharmacy school, working on finishing my pre-pharm stuff. I am glad to see this, I was worried about being too old. Thanks everyone!! One of my pharmacist friends was 30 when he went for his interview, and he told them he was on a "no screw around" plan, and they didn't interview him any further because they knew he was there to better his family and was not there to party.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Whitney in State University, Arkansas

76 months ago

Im 21 and Im fixing to start my application process. Im currently getting BA in Chemistry and I have a 1 yr old daughter, but Im very different than most my age. Im nervous about the whole process but I'm more than determined to make it happen! :) Good Luck to all of you applying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Renton, Washington

73 months ago

you have two choices. one is to do the prerequite which will take you about 2-3yrs and then take the PCAT and then apply to the pharm school. But most school want to see that you have somewhat experience working behind the counter as a Btech (pharmacy assistant) or pharm tech. On the other hand, many students chose to get a BA first and then transfer because it's a bit tough to get into pharm school w. an AA degree but it really depend. I think the 3 main thing is get a high GPA and PCAT score as well as gaining some pharm experience too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

73 months ago

Kia06 said: Hi,
I'm 20 and currently in my 2nd year working towards my BSc in Biochem. I recently started considering becoming a pharmacist, but I am confused about the process. Some ppl say you only need two years of pre-req courses and then can apply to Pharmacy school, while others have told me that you need to complete a Bachelors degree and then apply. While others have told me it is is better to become a pharmacy tech, work for a while as a technician and then apply to Pharmacy school. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.[/Q
You are on the right path. Try and maintain a good GPA while completing your bachelor's. A degree in biochem will surely give you an edge over most applicant competing for a spot. If you want to apply with just the pre-req then you surely need atleast two yrs of pharmacy tech experience. On the contrary, if you are thinking of applying with a bachelor's in biochem, then pharmacy tech experience won't be that necessary. You will need a good amount of volunteering hours to propell you. Most schools don't look into the pharmacy experience very much if one has a bachelors degree. A good gpa is what you need, and a better score on the PCAT. just focus on your studies and try to volunteer in a hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

73 months ago

Even if I am 50yrs old and offered an opportunity to enroll in a pharmacy school, I surely won't turn that opportunity down. Is a profession that you can only work for twenty years and have a decent retirement package, as well as ample amount of money to live on while enjoying your retirement. JUST FORGET ABOUT AGE GUYS AND DO IT. WE WILL NEVER REGRETT FOR GRADUATING FROM PHARMACY SCHOOL AT THE AGE 50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

R.Ph. in Bangor, Maine

73 months ago

The average age for an incoming studnet is about 23 or 24 years old. More and more students are entering with BS degrees. In fact, some schools require it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

73 months ago

TEXAS TECH PHARMACY SCHOOL ADMISSON STAISTICS.
YEAR 08
AVERAGE AGE OF ENTERING CLASS: 27
AVERAGE GPA: 3.6
AVERAGE GPA ON MATH AND SCIENCE CLASSES: 3.4
NON SCIENCE CLASSES. 3.5
I KNOW MODICUM AMOUNT OF STUDENTS WHO ARE IN A PHARMACY SCHOOL, AND ARE IN THEIR EARLY 40'S. PHARMACY SCHOOLS HAVE EXHIBITED THE PREFERENCE OF ENROLLING MORE MATURE OR LET SAY NON TRADITIONAL STUDENTS THAN THE OTHERWISE. IF BOTH TRADITIONAL AND NON TRADITIONAL STUDENTS ARE AIMING FOR ADMISSION INTO A PHARMACY PROGRAM, BASED ON THE PRECEEDING PERFORMANCE BY THE NON TRADITIONAL IN MOST PHARMACY SCHOOLS; IT IS MORE LIKELY FOR THE NON TRADITIONAL STUDENT TO GAIN THE ADMISSION. I AM IN MY MIDDLE TO LATE TWENTIES AND I AM AGONIZING ABOUT THE DECISION TO GO TO PHARMACY SCHOOL. I AM LITTLE BIT AMBIVALENT ABOUT IT, BUT I AM CERTAIN ABOUT THE FACT THAT A DEGREE IN PHARMACY CAN TURN ONE'S LIFE AROUND FOR THE BETTER AND THIS IS AXIOMATIC. I WISH I HAD SUCH ASPIRATION WHEN I WAS IN MY EARLY TWENTIES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hi Steve (Mesquite, Texas)
I'm not very familiar w. this but what do you mean by traditional and non-traditional students?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

theangrytech in Moorhead, Minnesota

73 months ago

kim in Renton, Washington said: Hi Steve (Mesquite, Texas)
I'm not very familiar w. this but what do you mean by traditional and non-traditional students?

Non-traditional, a person who goes to or back to college to pursue a better career later in life. Traditional, a person who goes to college upon completion of high school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

73 months ago

theangrytech in Moorhead, Minnesota said: Non-traditional, a person who goes to or back to college to pursue a better career later in life. Traditional, a person who goes to college upon completion of high school.

Thank you theangrytech, you explained it better than I would.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nina in Columbus, Ohio

73 months ago

am a student of high school and my major is pharmacist. my problem is that i don't know the best pharmacist school in ohio. please i need help to choose the best pharmacist school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pharm_Diet in Tiong Bahru, Singapore

73 months ago

I had always wanted to be a pharmacist and due to financial issue i took food science at the end. Right after graduate, i engaged in nutrition line and i really enjoyed the work and until lately, i am thinking to go back to university to do my studies. I was thinking to continue my studies in Dietetics, but at the same time i think if i should choose Pharmacy as it has always been what i want. I was thinking if i would be too old (28 this year) to do my 2nd bachelor degree. But i am glad that there are so many people still study at the age of 30,40. This is not very common in asian countries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pharm_hopeful84 in Deltona, Florida

73 months ago

I'm 24 and am working to finish my Bachelor's in Chemistry. My post AA grades (the real major's courses) have all been very good mostly A's and a couple B's. My question is...will the courses I took to get my AA (not a great gpa cause I was young and stupid) affect my chances? I'm hoping that when they see the effort I put into the Bachelor's and my pharm tech experience...and of course PCAT will help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

pharma in Denver, Colorado

73 months ago

Steve, how old are you? 47 here and applying for pharmacy school this fall. In my third semester back to school with a 4.0 (full load) and taking the PCAT in a few months. Don't even ask how many children I have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jmsvs1984 in bayside, New York

72 months ago

Hello everyone, I am 24, I have a B.S. in Chemistry and graduated with a b- average. I have been working in an environmental pollution testing lab for two years and contemplating pharm. school. I hear that its very competitive to get accepted..so I don't know how great my chances are. Though I heard in my area(ny), you will start at about 100k, but there is not much room for advancement in salary. ~100k is the beginning and pretty much the end. Don't get me wrong, that is fine with me, but I have talked to people who have the left the field because of that limitation. They didn't like the fact that they were a pharmacist for x amount of years, while a first year pharmacist comes in making the same salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trish in Portland, Oregon

72 months ago

Hello everyone. I am working on my prerequisite biochem. I am confusing don't know how to choose between hygienist, RN and pharmacy. Can anyone help me with some information please...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

72 months ago

jmsvs1984 in bayside, New York said: Hello everyone, I am 24, I have a B.S. in Chemistry and graduated with a b- average. I have been working in an environmental pollution testing lab for two years and contemplating pharm. school. I hear that its very competitive to get accepted..so I don't know how great my chances are. Though I heard in my area(ny), you will start at about 100k, but there is not much room for advancement in salary. ~100k is the beginning and pretty much the end. Don't get me wrong, that is fine with me, but I have talked to people who have the left the field because of that limitation. They didn't like the fact that they were a pharmacist for x amount of years, while a first year pharmacist comes in making the same salary.

Remember back in the days one has to get a bachelors in pharmacy in order to be a licensed pharmacist. The one's who still posses bachelors in pharmacy are not making enough money. Don't even mention 100k/year. They are way below 70k/year. The earning potential for current pharmacist are boundless. There are enormous amount of arenas that one can practice pharmacy now adays. Some pharmacist are being started with 125k right out of graduation, Some are even making 250k/year with little more than five years experience; it all depends on which field you practice and the locality of your residency. Don't let money be the precise factor of choosing a career. If you want a luxury life and disposable amount of income then kindly agonize real well amount pharmacy career. When you become a pharmacist in the near future, you might be laughing on your way to the bank. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

72 months ago

trish in Portland, Oregon said: Hello everyone. I am working on my prerequisite biochem. I am confusing don't know how to choose between hygienist, RN and pharmacy. Can anyone help me with some information please...

It all depends on your interest. I would rather advise you to stay out of dental hygienist. Look into nursing if you want immediate cash within the next four years. You can still change careers if nursing doesn't work out for you. You will stand a better chance of getting into pharmacy school with a nursing background than almost every applicant. In addition to that, you will have something to fall back on when things don't go well in pharmacy school. The most difficult part of pharmacy school is not getting admitted, but rather passing the courses. Nursing first and then move on to either nursing practitioner or pharmacy, they are both good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

72 months ago

pharma in Denver, Colorado said: Steve, how old are you? 47 here and applying for pharmacy school this fall. In my third semester back to school with a 4.0 (full load) and taking the PCAT in a few months. Don't even ask how many children I have.

I am 46 with three kids, two boys and one girl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pharma in Broomfield, Colorado

72 months ago

Are you a student or pharmacist? You seem to know a great deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mohit in Panipat, India

72 months ago

wht is this sir it is any post of any where

72 months ago

steve in Mesquite, Texas said: It all depends on your interest. I would rather advise you to stay out of dental hygienist. Look into nursing if you want immediate cash within the next four years. You can still change careers if nursing doesn't work out for you. You will stand a better chance of getting into pharmacy school with a nursing background than almost every applicant. In addition to that, you will have something to fall back on when things don't go well in pharmacy school. The most difficult part of pharmacy school is not getting admitted, but rather passing the courses. Nursing first and then move on to either nursing practitioner or pharmacy, they are both good.

Hi,
I'm surprise, i thought they would more likely to prefer a bs degree more than a nursing degree. More likely, nursing prereq is very different from pharm prereq i believe...

pharmd718 in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

I worked as an engineering tech for 3 years. I never enjoyed the work and always felt that I could do better. At 28 I started to pursue pharmacy and got my pharmd 6 years later.

It was one of the best decisions I have made. I have a great job at a local hospital and I actually like going to work. The pay is icing on the cake.

In my class there was a woman who started the program at 39....so at 23 you are far from to old. Just remember to make the commitment and stick to it. pharmacy school is not easy and will require hard work, but the reward is well worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Pflugerville, Texas

72 months ago

Hi, I was happy to see the comment about being able to get into pharmacy school with an RN. I am a single mom of six kids, and two semesters away from my RN. I have a BS in Molecular Biology I got 26 years ago, and I did bench research in genetic engineering for 8 years. I am 49, and for the last 22 years I have wanted to go to Pharmacy school. I didn't think I had a real chance (science and math GPA 3.4) so I went for the RN.
I figured I could get my license and have this as a safety net if Pharmacy school doesn't work out. I am going to study for my PCAT this summer and give it a go.
Wish me luck.
I was thinking the pharmacy schools would frown on me getting the RN and then trying for the PharmD. How do you know they like nurses? We learn a lot about drugs, side effects, administering, calculating doses, and have a ton of hands on patient experience. I just don't like the idea of cleaning poopy old people's bottoms for the next 20 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

72 months ago

kim in Renton, Washington said: Hi,
I'm surprise, i thought they would more likely to prefer a bs degree more than a nursing degree. More likely, nursing prereq is very different from pharm prereq i believe...

Don't be too surprise my dear. Pharmacy schools prefer applicants who have more patient contacts than just being an Aide to the licensed pharmacist. In UT Austin there have been numerous cases where people with paramedic background have been accepted into the program without any pharm tech experience.The president of the last two years graduating class of UT Austin school of pharmacy had an extensive background in paramedics(no pharm tech experience), he was about 48years old, you can check this online. Most nurses won't like to go back for another four years of schooling to earn a pharmacy degree. However, the ones who have been energetic and determined to take the require science and math classes for pharmacy school in conjunction with their nursing degree have always been the one's who pharmacy schools prefer the most. Nurses do know alot about drug reactions and other complications associated with administering the wrong drug to the patient. They know much more than a pharmcy tech. Pharmcy tech is nothing as compare to a nursing degree. Even nurses can perform some of the duties which are strictly meant for a pharmacist, however, States laws don't require them to do so. I have seen a nursing practitioner performing the duties of a pharmacist in an institutional pharmacy. If you disrepute my words then search online and read more about nursing practitioners performing the duties of a pharmacist. I just don't know how that works, but it is something which is going on in the health care field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Steve,
What can you tell me about the UT program? I was going to apply there and to Creighton. I can't relocate my kids from the Austin area, so these are my only two shots at getting in. What can I do to build the strongest application possible?
What are the admissions committees looking for and what do they want to see in an essay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

steve in Mesquite, Texas

72 months ago

Barbara in Pflugerville, Texas said: Hi, I was happy to see the comment about being able to get into pharmacy school with an RN. I am a single mom of six kids, and two semesters away from my RN. I have a BS in Molecular Biology I got 26 years ago, and I did bench research in genetic engineering for 8 years. I am 49, and for the last 22 years I have wanted to go to Pharmacy school. I didn't think I had a real chance (science and math GPA 3.4) so I went for the RN.
I figured I could get my license and have this as a safety net if Pharmacy school doesn't work out. I am going to study for my PCAT this summer and give it a go.
Wish me luck.
I was thinking the pharmacy schools would frown on me getting the RN and then trying for the PharmD. How do you know they like nurses? We learn a lot about drugs, side effects, administering, calculating doses, and have a ton of hands on patient experience. I just don't like the idea of cleaning poopy old people's bottoms for the next 20 years.

But you have to take your math and science pre-req for pharmacy school when you decide to go to a pharmacy school afterward with your nursing degree. With a little RN work experience and a complete math and science pre-req for pharmacy school you would be surprise how many school would be inviting you for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

From my first BS Degree, trust me, I have ALL of the prerequisites done already. I am going to retake Organic Chemistry to refresh this and get a higher grade. This is going to be important to have this down well. I was also going to take the Kaplan PCAT program to get the best possible score.
I already have the Calculus, Physics, etc done. The only thing I don't have done is a Microecnomics class for Creighton. I could take this easily around the RN coursework.
What kind of nursing work would they prefer to see? I already work on a Med Surg floor so I have some very general experience. On this floor you get a little bit of everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Federal Way, Washington

72 months ago

I take your word Steve, i think that is very useful thank you for your help

John in Northridge, California

72 months ago

I am almost certain you will not be even close to the oldest person in your class in 6 years. I am assuming you have been working for the past few years. Use these experiences as an advantage as why you are now pursuing pharmacy school. besides high marks, your pharmacy experience will definitely help. if you want to take that further, try looking for other volunteer/paid positions in other non-retail fields- clinical and industry positions. leadership opportunities, course load (units/semester), performance on interview, stellar application essays, hardships, volunteer activities are some other factors.

I am 23, and I will be beginning my first year this August. I got in the second time around (don't give up!)

check out the links here: prerequisites at all pharmacy schools, tuition table, etc.
pharmapplicants.com/pharmacy_school_application_guide.php

pharma in Westminster, Colorado

71 months ago

Barbara in Pflugerville, Texas said: From my first BS Degree, trust me, I have ALL of the prerequisites done already. I am going to retake Organic Chemistry to refresh this and get a higher grade. This is going to be important to have this down well. I was also going to take the Kaplan PCAT program to get the best possible score.
I already have the Calculus, Physics, etc done. The only thing I don't have done is a Microecnomics class for Creighton. I could take this easily around the RN coursework.
What kind of nursing work would they prefer to see? I already work on a Med Surg floor so I have some very general experience. On this floor you get a little bit of everything.

I cannot speak for Creighton, yet most pharmacy programs require pre-reqs done within 7 years, thus your work of 26 years ago will not count, and Creighton has a very specific statement on their website that regardless of your profession, the pre-reqs must be met. For example, the University of Colorado has these standards. So do most schools back east. I am in somewhat of a similar situation, having completed science courses for a chemistry degree 16 years ago, yet am retaking calculus, O-chem, etc as they are well out of the required 7 year time limit.

I spoke with a pharmacy school representative several months ago on campus and their main point was 'it is rather irrelevant what volunteering you do, GPA is everything and also how long has it been since you took your courses'

Have you had speech? Another class required that was not for my first degree.

Regards.

Thinking going Pharmacay in Denver, Colorado

71 months ago

I'm in my 40, no related studies to pharmacy. Any suggestion?

71 months ago

Enroll in your local community college (it is less expensive than CU, UNC, or CSU) and start taking the required classes! If you get online at CU there is a page that will tell you exactly the classes in Colorado that they expect and the transfer courses from other Colorado colleges and/or universities.

Expect to take a full load for 3 years or even 4, as you have to have General Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, Gross Human Anatomy and Physiology, Biochem, Microecon, Stats, Calculus, and Speech to name a few. You will spend min. 7-8 years and over 100k to get the degree.

Good luck! BTW, I am in my 40s and applying to pharmacy school this fall after almost 3 yrs of prep work. I know another woman in one of my classes who is also in her 40's and just got accepted this spring. CU admits approx. 60% CO residents of their entering class each year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

One other thought, GPA is everything according to the CU pharmacy school representative.

mommers in Greeley, Colorado

71 months ago

I am going to be 37 in a month and am thinking I might want to start working on my pre-pharm at aims community college. I have a BA from UNC in Psychology. I am hoping that my non-science/mathematics prerequisites will transfer even though by the time I apply for pharm school, they will be older then 7 years (graduated in 2002). Does anyone have info on this? I checked on the website and it was clear that the science/math had to be taken within the past 7 years, but I am not sure about the others (speech, micro economics, humanities, etc.).

Also, I have two kiddos, one 3 and one 6, am I crazy to take this on? :o) Actually, I am quite certain I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Pflugerville, Texas

71 months ago

Where are you planning on applying? I checked with UT Austin and with Creighton and spoke to representatives over the phone. BOTH of them said there were NO time limits on any pre req courses.

71 months ago

Thanks for your response. I will be applying to CU Denver and it won't be until 2012. I need to give them a call this week. I don't think I will do it if NOTHING from my degree will transfer over. :o(

Here is a link to the transfer guide. It is clear that the science classes need to be taken within the past 7 years, but the others, I'm not sure.

www.uchsc.edu/sop/pharmd/3.Pre-Pharmacy_Coursework/2.Colorado_Transfer_Guides.html#unc

71 months ago

barbara in Pflugerville, Texas said: Where are you planning on applying? I checked with UT Austin and with Creighton and spoke to representatives over the phone. BOTH of them said there were NO time limits on any pre req courses.

You are right, but think about it. If if has been 10-15 years since you took organic chem, how well will biochem go with an 18 credit a semester course load of other tough classes? And if there is one seat open, and one candidate just took the prerequisites and another has not done calculus or chem for, say 10-15 years, whom do you think Creighton will consider the most likely to succeed? Unless you are currently a biochemist!

I am just attempting to be helpful and repeat what I have heard their pharmacy representatives state. Regardless of previous degree and profession, it would be tough to compete against many current students nationwide with highly competitive GPA's and PCAT's. In meeting with pharmacy reps on campus, they cannot recall one student admitted with decade-old courses and no schooling since. Perhaps they are different in Texas.

Regards,

71 months ago

mommers in Greeley, Colorado said: Thanks for your response. I will be applying to CU Denver and it won't be until 2012. I need to give them a call this week. I don't think I will do it if NOTHING from my degree will transfer over. :o(

Here is a link to the transfer guide. It is clear that the science classes need to be taken within the past 7 years, but the others, I'm not sure.

www.uchsc.edu/sop/pharmd/3.Pre-Pharmacy_Coursework/2.Colorado_Transfer_Guides.html#unc

Good for you!!! Don't get discouraged, CU Pharmacy just doubled enrollment with their move out to Lowry from downtown, and the entrance GPA is not as rigorous as with out-of-state applicants. They are also having difficulty filling their 60% quota of CO students since they changed the prerequisite program from 2 to 3 years. They are now requiring biochem before admission and then biochem during pharmacy school as well as students were having a tough time keeping up in the program and just did not know enough to do the coursework along with the other requirements. I do not know if representatives from the pharmacy schools go to AIMS, but they do to UNC and CSU so the campus pharmacy clubs should have the schedule in the fall and you could go and meet with them. Creighton comes at least once a year as well if you are interested in online but they are twice as expensive as CU.

71 months ago

mommers in Greeley, Colorado said: I am going to be 37 in a month and am thinking I might want to start working on my pre-pharm at aims community college. I have a BA from UNC in Psychology. I am hoping that my non-science/mathematics prerequisites will transfer even though by the time I apply for pharm school, they will be older then 7 years (graduated in 2002). Does anyone have info on this? I checked on the website and it was clear that the science/math had to be taken within the past 7 years, but I am not sure about the others (speech, micro economics, humanities, etc.).

Also, I have two kiddos, one 3 and one 6, am I crazy to take this on? :o) Actually, I am quite certain I am.

Actually when you start pharmacy your children will be both in school so you are really smart!

kim in Seattle, Washington

71 months ago

pharma in Westminster, Colorado:
Hi i was just reading one of your posts and you mean pharmacy schools will start requiring a biochem degree now before going into pharm school?
and it sounds like pharm school would prefer a biochem degree than any other degree like nursing or BS degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Hi. No, I am sorry. I was speaking specifically about the University of Colorado requiring a semester of biochem before admission. Most pharmacy schools do not require this class as you have to take it in their program.

71 months ago

pharma in Westminster, Colorado said: Actually when you start pharmacy your children will be both in school so you are really smart!

Thanks for your response! You must be thrilled to be done with your pre-pharm stuff. Good luck to you. My Mom started her pre-pharm when she was 37 and now she is a pharmacist, working great hours and raking it in. She loves it.

Do you know anyone in pharm school with school aged children? That is my biggest concern. I was grown and out of the house when my Mom was in school.

Thanks again for your responses. :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

No, yet I know fellow students with children. It is like having a full-time job with no evenings or weekends free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sentungi in Santa Cruz, California

71 months ago

Being 23, you are not at all too old to go to pharm school! I recently read an article about the best new jobs for the current economy, and it turns out pharmacy is hot right now. It takes a lot of extra schooling of course, but it is doable. I believe the median age for pharm students these days turned out to be around 27 and some people even in their 40's are changing their careers to pharm. Pharm school is generally 4 years, on top of undergraduate schooling. as you are in school try to get some volunteer work/internships at pharmacies to stand out!

-ray

mylifepassport.com

bee38 in West Bend, Wisconsin

70 months ago

This was a great thread to read! 38 here (will be 39 in December) and just applied for my pre-pharm classes. I was a bit concerned about my age, but reading this tread truly helped set my mind at ease. I have a CNA background (15 years) and also hold a associate degree in Nuclear Medicine. GPA for Nuc's was 3.1, which is not all that great but I am hoping that my higher GPA for oncoming classes will give me a better chance once I apply for PharmD. I have many of the pre-req's done so I should only need a year before applying to PharmD. I am also a single/divorced mom with 3 kids ages 18, 15 and 8....so just a heads up to all you single parents with kids out there...if I can do this, anyone can! Good luck to all........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Congratulations on your perseverance in spite of the odds. What made you want a career change from the CNA experience? What did you like about it/not like about it? Why do you think Pharmacy is a good move right now? What would you say is the best thing you can gain from your CNA experience and use as a competitive edge for entry into pharmacy school?
I am asking because I have a B.S. in Molecular Biology (25 yrs ago) and 8 years bench research experience. Then I have been out of the workforce raising 6 kids! I have been back taking classes for three years and will get my RN next year. I have been working at a hospital on a Med Surg floor while I have been in nursing school.
I really wanted to go to pharmacy school for the last 20 years. I want to work as a nurse for a year full time while I study for the PCAT. It has been a while since I took all this, and it will take me some time to get up to speed on Calculus and some of this stuff. I am retaking Organic Chemistry right now, because I figured it would be important to be fresh on this subject.
I plan on working PRN as a nurse while in Pharmacy school. Do you think that is a good idea? My kids are now 20, 19, 17, 11, 8, and 6. And I am a single mom too. Their Dad left 6 years ago when they were all much younger, including a baby. You can do the math on their ages at that time. It has not been easy alone as you know.
Also I was thinking about working in drug trials as a nurse when I finish. I thought this would help getting into pharmacy school. Do you think this will all work?
Anybody have any suggestions on what else I should be doing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nellie in Hillsdale, New Jersey

70 months ago

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think my chances are for getting into a pharmacy school - I have a 4.0 from a state university and a undergraduate degree in biology. I did most of my general education at a community college while in high school; however, lost those years I gained in school when a tragic illness struck. I worked, got sick, worked, got sick, went to school, and got sick - so basically there are gaps in between working and two different colleges I attended as a result. Finally I found out what was causing me to get sick and ended up finding a school and holding down a job for 4 plus years and getting through a 4 year bachelors program. I am not taking the pcat and am only applying to schools that don't require the exam. I also have a few months of pharmacy experience that was interrupted by getting sick. I also shadowed a surgeon with OR experience and shadowed a psychologist so I was able to gain different views of the medical world. I have years and years of tutoring experience (about 10 years) and I have many volunteer hours (about 2000 hours). I'm applying to pharmacy school this year and have seen many posts that have scared me into thinking that maybe I should take a year or so off before applying to make myself a more appealing applicant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.