Pharmacy school--think twice and if your answer is still yes keep thinking until the answer is NO!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Truth only in Draper, Utah

22 months ago

I graduated from pharmacy school in May 1999 and at the time I had so many phone calls from recruiters that changing my phone number was a thing I seriously considered. Pharmacy has changed for the negative to such a degree that anyone considering a career as being a Pharmacist really needs to know the facts.

With the number of pharmacy schools which have opened since I graduated getting a pharmacy job is increasingly harder. No offense to those new graduates i have worked with, but their knowledge level is very poor at best. Don't think these schools actually care about you--they care about your money and that's just the way it is.

Upon graduation from pharmacy school with $100,000 in debt and no job offers would make anyone nervous. Choose another field, but pharmacy is not the route to take. I would like to write and say it's great, but lying is not something I like to do. Your likelihood of regret will be very high and if you read this and still make this decision you will have no sympathy from me. Anyone telling you the future of being a pharmacist is great is lying or has no idea what they are talking about. Some will make comments that my comments are nothing but lies, they are either not pharmacists or the dean of a pharmacy school.

The level of hell you will endure in school can be dealt with--the level of hell of having debt and no job will not be as easy to deal with. Not one pharmacist I know will tell you it is a great field. Go ahead and look at the Bureau of labor reports and they will say it's a wonderful and lucrative career choice. Where they get this information I have no clue, but you will regret going to pharmacy school and not being able to find a job upon graduation. You don't believe me? Give it a shot and you will hate yourself for a long period of time. I have no motive other than to save many students from grief and misery. Go ahead and test my advice--just remember you have been informed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

College Student/Pre Pharm in Fredericksburg, Virginia

22 months ago

im currently doing my pre reqs for pharm school atm, you should go on the student doctor network with rants like this, if your HONESTLY trying to warn people you should get your message out on a forum that actually pertains to student pharmacists...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

schlomo in Pompano Beach, Florida

21 months ago

Can someone confirm if the following is true?

market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=217139

"As I've pointed out to a number of High Schoolers contemplating going to college and taking out loans, there are statutory penalties that apply if you default. In the case of Perkins loans these amount to an additional 30% of the principal, increasing to 40% on a second collection attempt and another 40% on top of that if they sue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Guest101 in Jersey City, New Jersey

19 months ago

I was one of those people that wanted to become a pharmacist, but my path did not lead to that direction or the Pharm D program. I was a pre-pharmacy student at a college in the Northeast and in the Honors program at that school and I thought my path would be bright. During my studies, I learned the truth that the pharmacy school is a business that lures people to enroll into program by selling students a promise of good salary, good job, and more enticing people that the profession is free from unemployment, you get high salaries, can pay debt or student loans easily in few years, there would be a lot of opportunities and jobs, and more. My parents and I were sold on this promise in the around 2000 and during that time myself, parents, professors, advisors, school, media, and all projected prosperous and rewarding future according to statistics of the job market and the need for pharmacists for the future. No one predicted that the economy would go bad after 2001 and that there would be new pharmacy schools opening up around the nation and an increase of graduates. I done pre-pharmacy at this school and later transferred to another college and did bachelors in pharmaceutical sciences. I did take the PCAT twice before transferring to another school for the Pharm D program applying to couple of schools and during the pharmaceutical sciences program. After the second attempt of the PCAT I really took the time to do a reality check whether it's worth doing Pharm D and I had given up the idea permanently. I was tired of the dream of wanting to become a pharmacist and I honestly did not want to spend 4 years studying so hard and wind up working at a retail extremely busy. My dream was working in retail and provide good services and consultation to the patients and the community, but the reality is pharmacists don't use all what they learn in Pharm D and they do many things keeping them on their feet all day and no breaks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Although, I could have done other areas besides retail, but I just forfeited the idea despite seeing my classmates, family, friends, and other people either are pharmacists working, in the Pharm D program, or applying for the program. Many people that I know that were sold on this dream where there for the money and prestige, but not for the services to the patients or community. The competition of pre=pharmacy is cut-throat and there are people there who are extremely competitive and would do anything to bring their classmates down whether it is making fun of people, not helping others, I witnessed cheating, backstabbing of classmates or tensions between competitive groups, spreading of rumors, and anything to see students failing and out of the Pharm D acceptance list. Some people did anything to promote themselves while hurting others or something. I also saw many people were told by their parents to do this dream and it's second to being a medical doctor. During my pre-pharmacy program and undergraduate studies in pharmaceutical sciences I saw more and more truth about the people studying the program, competition, business aspect, and more. Pharm D is a factory assembly because every year more and more graduates are pumped into the market throughout the nation. The reality is the degree is devalued because pharmacy school is a business including the associations. What's disturbing no one monitors the number of schools opening and all instead you see class size increase and new schools. How can everyone be employed in this nation who are recent college graduates or unemployed? The same thing happened with law schools, business, and all where there are all these schools from online, new schools, and increase of class sizes that it's a factory. Law school and pharmacy have entrance exams and licenses, but for business even University of Phoenix Online MBA's graduates are competing with Ivy's, state, and private colleges for jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Do not go into pharmacy school because it is saturated market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

I am glad that I did not land on the path of Pharm D because I would have found it very difficult to land a job during unemployment due to economy problems added I would have discovered during the retail or pharmacy job that Pharm D wasn't worth the time, money, and that promises are a Big Lie. I used to get so discouraged many times that I did not do Pharm D, but I am glad reality sunk in during my undergraduate studies. I did get an MBA and I am happy with having two different degrees. Many of the people who are recent graduates and are who are currently studying Pharm D will definitely experience the highly saturated market. I won't be surprised those that have jobs now do become unemployed and struggle looking for work or those who graduate from the program are unemployed for a long time and actively applying everywhere. My advice for anyone out there is to thoroughly research online about reviews from graduates of schools, read articles, talk to people, and more before deciding on a career. The truth is whatever that you study there will be pros and cons and high competition because colleges becoming a business and not enough jobs due to bad economy. All colleges care about is getting money and there are many people out there who shouldn't be in college because they are not prepared to handle the studies yet our President and the government tells everyone should be in college and get jobs afterwards. This is music to the colleges ears because they can get money from students and keep increasing fees yearly. I blame the government politicians, department of education, colleges, Sallie Mae and all, Labor Bureau of Statistics, media, and college associations for making students and their families into victims into this mess. Colleges used to select the best and the brightest into programs now anyone can get into college with little basic math and reading can get into a 4 year college and all. It's no wonder medical schools in the Caribbean, online programs,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

new schools, and such are popping up because all they want is the money. The truth is pharmacists or Pharm D will be the mirror image of Law school graduates and lawyers. You see how many law school graduates are unemployed and some sued the schools. Now you see the law schools seeing decline of applications and less class sizes. Pharmacy is the next bubble burst and before you know it medical field will be the following afterwards along with others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

retail8 in take a guess, Pennsylvania

14 months ago

If you do anything, read these posts. I am an unemployed pharmacist in the Northeast. Almost ten years as a pharmacist and I saw this profession heading downhill nearly 4 years ago. Metrics, quotas, a ton of overseas pharmacists who can barely speak English are taking our jobs and turning the profession into a travesty. I graduated from the premier school of pharmacy. Half of it was Indian. Most of them cheated on all the exams. It shows in their professional career. One chain employed an H1b visa holder who did not know the difference between Oxycontin and oxycodone IR. She gave out the wrong pills. She's still there calling up other pharmacists every day for advice on how to fill rxs. Another foreign pharmacist who's been here at least ten years makes at least 3 mistakes a week. Yet another Indian former H1b now resident insists on filling narcotic rxs with 2 ndcs and bills only one to the insurance. She takes back people's pills and reuses them. Still there. The chains love these guys and gals. They will choose a foreigner over you. So do the schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

14 months ago

These schools keep posting on these forums in all healthcare fields and saying there are jobs.
They post as if it's all about motive and being all hyped up on going to school.
In this bad economy, there will be some people who will listen to anything that sounds hopeful.
So the job markets keep getting saturated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous12 in Jersey City, New Jersey

8 months ago

I read some article about a major pharmacy chain that they are considering going automated in the near future. The company plans to have a regional distribution center where prescriptions are filled and mailed to consumers or the pharmacies for pick up. Pharmacists today are robots to the pharmacies. The local chain pharmacies that I go to the pharmacists change after few years or less. There were some pharmacists who did express to me that they were disappointed that the pharmacist job is long hours, multitasking, no breaks, high stress, and among other things. One young Asian pharmacist who left my pharmacy because she was working like a robot. She was a very professional, hard working, helpful, kind, and a really good person to patients and consumers. The pharmacy chain work burned her out and she always felt that patients, consumers, and pharmacists didn't get the quality treatment that they deserved because of corporations pushing the pharmacists to long working hours. I see many young pharmacists working, but after sometime they leave for whatever reasons. There is one female pharmacist who wears makeup and worried about her looks working in the pharmacy who just started her job. I know as time passes she her hair will be in ponytail and she will burn out as well. While the pharmacy technicians they continue to stay for the long haul.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous12 in Jersey City, New Jersey

8 months ago

Pharmacists are like robots to the chain pharmacies and such. The long working hours, stress, multitasking, and other things do take a toll on pharmacists after sometime. The money is good, but is it worth it working like a robot and the negative impact it causes on health of the pharmacists with stress level up, not eating properly, and taking breaks to unwind? To some the job is worth it and to some it isn't. I do expect pharmacists to be replaced by machines since corporations treat them as machines anyway. The work will likely be done by robots or machines filling out prescriptions and technicians will likely to be charged of consultations and so forth. Corporations will do whatever that they can to reduce costs and pharmacists will take the hit for sure from their high salaries, working hours doing part-time, and so forth. If a major chain pharmacy already has in the making or plans of using a regional distribution center to fill out prescriptions then more than likely other pharmacies will follow. Pharmacists pay be cut in half or more than half for sure and robots and technicians will take over. Unfortunately, pharmacy schools still continue to pump more graduates into the market. They are just graduating people for the money and do not care what happens to the alumni graduates. If anyone is seriously considering pharmacy school for the Pharm D program be aware of the challenges people are facing now and how many pharmacists are in debt and looking for work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.