Seeking Intern Pharmacist Position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 125)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

m0wna in Manila, Philippines

54 months ago

R.Patel in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi, I am a foreign pharmacist. I have my FPGEC Certificate and I like to start my internship anywhere in USA.I am Canadian Citizen and like to work on TN Visa/H1B.

I am appying in all chain stores online, but No reply.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion about what to do next.

Thanks,

i have been experiencing the same thing.. well they would reply and tell me that they no longer sponsor foreign grads because of the influx of pharmacy grads in the US.. im still keeping my fingers crossed though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gpsg in Philippines

53 months ago

m0wna in Manila, Philippines said: i have been experiencing the same thing.. well they would reply and tell me that they no longer sponsor foreign grads because of the influx of pharmacy grads in the US.. im still keeping my fingers crossed though

same boat, just got my fpgec, prospects look bleak these days

keep on waiting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jb from philippines in Winnipeg, Manitoba

53 months ago

same thing...i'm having a hard time finding place for my internship....

jessica in Renton, Washington

52 months ago

m0wna in Manila, Philippines said: i have been experiencing the same thing.. well they would reply and tell me that they no longer sponsor foreign grads because of the influx of pharmacy grads in the US.. im still keeping my fingers crossed though

hi im here in seattle for about 5 yrs now.I am a greencard holder and im about to take my Fpgee and yes all the stores are not sponsoring foreign graduate.i work in pharmacy chain here.and they dont need pharmacist anymore cos theres lot of pharmacist also who cant find a job here.when i came here i only apply pharmacy assistant as i am working certification and those comapny interviewed me says they dont have vacancy for internship and pharmacy ( its my experience).

hope it will help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ricryan in Cebu, Philippines

52 months ago

jessica in Renton, Washington said: hi im here in seattle for about 5 yrs now.I am a greencard holder and im about to take my Fpgee and yes all the stores are not sponsoring foreign graduate.i work in pharmacy chain here.and they dont need pharmacist anymore cos theres lot of pharmacist also who cant find a job here.when i came here i only apply pharmacy assistant as i am working certification and those comapny interviewed me says they dont have vacancy for internship and pharmacy ( its my experience).

hope it will help.

Hi, i was just wondering, how many years does it usually take for a foreign pharmacist to complete all requirements to work there in US?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jessica in Renton, Washington

52 months ago

ricryan in Cebu, Philippines said: Hi, i was just wondering, how many years does it usually take for a foreign pharmacist to complete all requirements to work there in US?

Theres no such thing as years.as long as you passed all their requirement test and the internship required + toefl then you can practice as pharmacist.
I only work as pharm assistant here.its been a long time since i didnt apply for fpgee cos i m not sure im ready.now that i think im ready i will take the exam.

hyzsm in Atlanta, Georgia

46 months ago

jessica:
it is so hard to find a pharmacist position as you are a foreign pharmacy graduate without experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nupe954 in Atlanta, Georgia

43 months ago

I am currently in pharmacy school and know several people who are foreign pharmacists but not able to get hired on...How long has this trend been occuring?

mayumi in Little Rock, Arkansas

42 months ago

gpsg in Philippines said: same boat, just got my fpgec, prospects look bleak these days

keep on waiting

Hi m0wna, jb and gpsg! how are you all doing now? i mean in terms of finding a sponsor? i hope fate has been kind to you. You are probably working with your internship hours =) i just finished my fpgee and toefl last december, does it usually take long before they issue the certificate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

armi in Las PiƱas, Philippines

42 months ago

hi mayumi, i just took fpgee and toefl last sept and i got my certificate in december.hope this helps.
=)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

maxinne in Renton, Washington

41 months ago

Hi,I'm also a Foreign Graduate Pharmacist w/ a permanent resident status here in the US. It's been almost 9 months since I started applying for internship and until now I haven't heard any positive response from Companies yet. Has anyone else gotten the same problem and landed an internship job? Can somebody tell me what area and which company in WA accepts Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Internship? OR Which State across US has an internship job for foreign grads that has been recognized by WA state for license reciprocity?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Panacea in Memphis, Tennessee

41 months ago

I have been hearing this hardship of finding internship site from friends long time ago. Nevertheless, I went on and got ma FPGEC hoping that things would change....but i can c now what they were sayin....very difficult to find one. In fact I am even considering changing ma field...

41 months ago

Iamfavoured in Norfolk, Virginia said: I got my FPGEC this month and I have applied for my intern license. I have found a position in an independent pharmacy and we are still negotiating on sponsorship for H1b. If that doesnt happen, I have found a volunteering position at a near by hospital- will just start doing that and before you know it, all the hours are complete. It is well with us foreign graduates, God will make a way.

Hey lamfav. I am happy for you to get these opportunities these days, you must be blessed. If you can please do offer an advice how to secure one because i got FPGEC 3 months ago and got work permit but no internship site.

Iamfavoured in Norfolk, Virginia

41 months ago

Panacea in Memphis, Tennessee said: Hey lamfav. I am happy for you to get these opportunities these days, you must be blessed. If you can please do offer an advice how to secure one because i got FPGEC 3 months ago and got work permit but no internship site.

Hi Panacea, when you say you have a permit, what do you mean? greencard?
My advice really is to believe that God can do all things for you. Seriously, I believe that things have changed in the past few years and positions are hard to find, nevertheless, God has a plan for us. All I did was call every pharmacy within a 50mile radius and asked if they have an intern position. Note that most will say no, but you can offer to come and work as a technician but still keep the intern title. Also you can call any hospital and ask for in-patient pharmacy and talk to the director of pharmacy. But sometimes they like for you to have prior experience in the hospital. Hope that helps. Congrats on ur achievement so far. Remember that not all ppl have even the FPGEC so be thankful for what you have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Iamfavoured in Norfolk, Virginia said: Hi Panacea, when you say you have a permit, what do you mean? greencard?
My advice really is to believe that God can do all things for you. Seriously, I believe that things have changed in the past few years and positions are hard to find, nevertheless, God has a plan for us. All I did was call every pharmacy within a 50mile radius and asked if they have an intern position. Note that most will say no, but you can offer to come and work as a technician but still keep the intern title. Also you can call any hospital and ask for in-patient pharmacy and talk to the director of pharmacy. But sometimes they like for you to have prior experience in the hospital. Hope that helps. Congrats on ur achievement so far. Remember that not all ppl have even the FPGEC so be thankful for what you have.

I really appreciate that. Thanks a lot Lamfavoured, I will do just what you said. yea I am grateful for having FPGEC and Green card.

40 months ago

Hi Guys,
Thank God, my intern license came in yesterday. I am super-excited! Now, lets start acquiring those hours. Remember people that All is Well

40 months ago

Hi Guys,
I got my intern license yesterday! So starting internship next week by Gods grace. Thank God!

pinagpala in Forsyth, Illinois

40 months ago

Iamfavoured in Norfolk, Virginia said: Hi Guys,
I got my intern license yesterday! So starting internship next week by Gods grace. Thank God!

You are right, lamfavoured. God has wonderful plan for all of us. Don't look at the circumstances coz you'll only get discouraged but keep your eyes on God and believe. I'm on the same boat as everybody here, I have my FPGEC and still looking for someone who will accomodate an intern.

Pharmapharma in Quezon City, Philippines

39 months ago

Iamfavoured in Norfolk, Virginia:

Just wondering how will you finish the 1500 hours internship just by volunteering. You've mentioned you were working out an H1B sponsorship. Does that mean you're in the US as a tourist? Virginia issues a temporary intern license without SSN for a period of 90 days. SSN cannot be issued if you don't have a work authorization (Green card holders, H1B sponsored or F1 students under OPT). What will you do after 90 days? Hope your H1B will go well because that is the only legal way to do it with USCIS.

For the rest of Foreign Pharmacist like me:
About me - - I got my FPGEC certificate since 2009. I've been looking for a place for internship as well. Even went back to the US last 2010 to apply personally but to no avail. There was one independent Pharmacy owner who was willing to help me with the intern hours but USCIS set this wage for interns that the employer must pay to the foreign applicant which was $28/hour. Unfortunately, interns are only paid a range from $10 - $15 and the employer cannot meet the wage requirement and I can't blame him. It appears that there is no longer a Pharmacist shortage in the US. Pharmacy schools has constantly produce an increasing number of Pharmacy Graduates since 2005. You can see the declining trend of H1B sponsored Pharmacist from www.myvisajobs.com

39 months ago

@Pharmapharma
Thanks for the insight. Apparently if you have a DMV no in Virginia, you can get an intern license without the 90days expiry. My license expires like everyone else on teh 12/31/11. so i have till then to get my hours which I have already started. I called the VSBOP and they said it is possible to renew it too so I guess I am lucky. As for the h1b, I have just started the processing and I am not aware that your earning wage has to be $28, I will check that with my attorney.

39 months ago

I am not ere as a tourist, I am here on an f2 because my husband is on f1 visa.

Pharmapharma in Philippines

39 months ago

You are in a very lucky situation then. The wage varies from State to State, my lawyer subscribed for a private wage survey - Mercer to be exact and that wage is for a graduate intern. You will be really lucky if your prospective employer will agree for that wage. But I think just to get your internship done by volunteering your hours is already a way to finish the race. Good luck.

39 months ago

Thank you! I ll keep my fingers cross and leave God to work things out for me as he has always done. I was not aware of the wages tied to it. Because the employer has agreed to paying me less than that. I don't know if he ll be willing to pay me that much though. At least I have the volunteering option too. I wish you all the best. Another thing you might consider is coming to do a masters and u can then use your opt to get your hours!

39 months ago

Does anyone know the H1b filling code for foreign intern pharmacist. My attorney was looking up the category in the Federal Labour condition application buit could not find it.
@Pharmapharma, what was the lawyer that was going to help you file it under?
Any help would be appreciated.

Pharmapharma in Manila, Philippines

39 months ago

Hi, It was supposed to be filed using the Pharmacist Code with a job title Graduate Pharmacy Intern to get the LCA. There is no specific code for Pharmacy Intern. Hope this helps.

39 months ago

@Pharmapharma- Thank you for responding. I eventually figured it out yesterday after spending hours on the internet. The only thing is that I cant find the category to look up the prevailing wage. After hours of internet search I realized that you can write a letter to them explaining the error code, detailing your responsibilities and comparing it somewhat to a pharmacy technician. Because some ppl had theirs rejected because the had the wage of a pharmacist on prevailing wage but they were only getting paid as a technician. I saw another one that got approved with the prevailing wage as btw $12-17. So it depends on how ur attorney words it i guess (maybe that applies to your problem also). Anyway, all the very best in pursuing your dreams and thanks for your help.

39 months ago

@Pharmapharma- Do you know where they look up the prevailing wage for Pharmacy Interns? I know you file it under the pharmacist code but you dont get the pharmacist wage so where do you look up the prevailing wage?

39 months ago

Thanks Pharmapharma, after spending hours on the internet I found out about the mercer survey and the collective bargaining agreement. I guess the attorneys should know this but most of them have not done an intern h1b before. Thanks once again.

aabdraff57 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

39 months ago

I'm currently waiting for my FPGEC graduate intern license from the Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy. I'm looking for a graduate intern position around Tulsa, Broken Arrow, or Sand Springs.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

aabdraff57 in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I'm currently waiting for my FPGEC graduate intern license from the Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy. I'm looking for a graduate intern position around Tulsa, Broken Arrow, or Sand Springs.

Thank you!

FYI, I don't need any sponsorship. I'm a green card holder. Thanks.

pinagpala in Forsyth, Illinois

39 months ago

I'm looking for a graduate intern position in Illinois, Indiana or New Jersey.

@pharmapharma, yes, it's hard to get internships even with FPGEC certificate. I was also from the Philippines.

tootti in Jersey City, New Jersey

39 months ago

hi pinagpala. I am also looking for an intern position here in Jersey for over 2 months now. all pharma chains are not responding to applications. Though there are those who do like Walmart, vacancies get filled up the moment they post their openings. Rite Aid on the other hand said they don't have positions for foreign grads anymore.

I can't try my luck elsewhere because my husband is already settled here, though I've been hearing that it's really hard to nail internship anywhere.

I'm also from the lovely pinas ;)

pinagpala in Decatur, Illinois

39 months ago

Same thing here. I applied at Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, Walmart, grocery stores with pharmacy, hospitals and I got the same result. I thought they are equal opportunity employers. Isn't it discrimination not consider us for the position because we got our education abroad? What's the purpose of the FPGEC then? It's so frustrating but I'm keeping my hopes high.

Thanks for the feedback, tootti. I am having a hard time finding internship here in Illinois and I thought maybe it will be diferent in New Jersey. Now I know it's the same anywhere.

39 months ago

To be fair with Rite Aid, it was their international recruiter whom I contacted, hence, the response "no positions for foreign grads".

I was told in the past, that if an applicant doesn't need sponsorship, it would be easier, but as it seems, it is still not as easy.

Yeah, the present situation is really frustrating. Sometimes I'm beginning to think that FPGEC should have a moratorium in conducting the exam until the pharma profession gets back to the glorious days - at least for those foreign grads who are still "outside" the US. It's just disappointing when after all the hardships, sacrifices not to mention spending a fortune to pass the exam, they'll end up with nothing. well that's just a silly thought... I agree let's just keep hoping ;)

ladi in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

39 months ago

Hi everyone,this is probably repetitive but i just received my certificate and I am looking for an internship opening.I am here from the U.K on the equivalent of a visitors visa and definitely need to be filed for.Really limited options based on this.........so advice and suggestions are very welcome.Please and Thank you..bless everyone..:)

ladi in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

39 months ago

tootti in Jersey City, New Jersey said: To be fair with Rite Aid, it was their international recruiter whom I contacted, hence, the response "no positions for foreign grads".

I was told in the past, that if an applicant doesn't need sponsorship, it would be easier, but as it seems, it is still not as easy.

Yeah, the present situation is really frustrating. Sometimes I'm beginning to think that FPGEC should have a moratorium in conducting the exam until the pharma profession gets back to the glorious days - at least for those foreign grads who are still "outside" the US. It's just disappointing when after all the hardships, sacrifices not to mention spending a fortune to pass the exam, they'll end up with nothing. well that's just a silly thought... I agree let's just keep hoping ;)

Amen to all that!...any luck yet?

Shoonya in Fairfax, Virginia

39 months ago

Iamfavoured in Norfolk, Virginia said: I got my FPGEC this month and I have applied for my intern license. I have found a position in an independent pharmacy and we are still negotiating on sponsorship for H1b. If that doesnt happen, I have found a volunteering position at a near by hospital- will just start doing that and before you know it, all the hours are complete. It is well with us foreign graduates, God will make a way.

Hi,

congrats. Will u please guide me in finding Internship in Independent Pharmacy. I am FPGEC Certified and living in fairfax,VA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pinagpala in Springfield, Illinois

39 months ago

I found an intern position in an independent pharmacy, voluntary though. My friend told me that I will have better luck in independent and long term care pharmacies than in big chain drugstores and hospitals. He's right! Licensed pharmacists are still in demand but they do not have room for a foreign graduate intern. What an irony?! Anyway, it's good to know that there's a bright future ahead :)

pinagpala in Springfield, Illinois

39 months ago

I got an intern position in an independent pharmacy, voluntary though. I guess foreign graduates have better luck in independent and long term care pharmacies than the famous big chain drugstores and hospitals. The good news is pharmacists are still in demand :) So, let's just get this internship over and done with and there's a bright future ahead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

i'm happy for you pinagpala... you are pinagpala (blessed) indeed ;)... my friend also advised me to volunteer my hours in independent pharmacies... i just don't know how to start :(

i agree with you though... internship for us foreign grads is the bottle neck of this profession... i've seen too many pharma openings ... i'm sure after you're done and over with your program, you'll get a fulfilling career ;)

39 months ago

Shoonya in Fairfax, Virginia said: Hi,

congrats. Will u please guide me in finding Internship in Independent Pharmacy. I am FPGEC Certified and living in fairfax,VA.

I will just call all the independent pharmacies close to where you live and ask them if they have a position that you are willing to volunteer. Best of luck with it! Thats what I did but they are willing to pay me some money..Thank God

shoonya in Fairfax, Virginia

38 months ago

thank u

pieffe in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

hi everyone.
I'll be a little bit repetitive,but I really need good suggestions!
I'm a foreign pharmacist and I've been living in Nwe York for one year studying English.I thought about getting a license here to become Clinical Pharmacist.
I've been reading your posts and..I'm a little bit discouraged.The process seems to be very long,expensive and hard,especially if you don't have already work permit.
The question for you guys is : should I start or quit before losing time and money?
Thank you so much for your answers and good luck to everybody!!
be strong and keep going!!!

ciao

pieffe

38 months ago

pieffe in Brooklyn, New York said: hi everyone.
I'll be a little bit repetitive,but I really need good suggestions!
I'm a foreign pharmacist and I've been living in Nwe York for one year studying English.I thought about getting a license here to become Clinical Pharmacist.
I've been reading your posts and..I'm a little bit discouraged.The process seems to be very long,expensive and hard,especially if you don't have already work permit.
The question for you guys is : should I start or quit before losing time and money?
Thank you so much for your answers and good luck to everybody!!
be strong and keep going!!!

ciao

pieffe

Experiences vary.

The first couple of years could be hard especially if you need sponsorship to work in the USA. Truth be told, you might not get any offer at all.

I'm not sure if studying English was your stepping stone to becoming a licensed pharmacist here. In addition, what is your visa status? F-1, J-1?

The process is laborious and yes, quite costly. The FPGEE wasn't too hard as long as you're determined to do it. I'm pretty sure you'll sail through your TOEFL in flying colors.

If you're flexible, perhaps you can do a market research and find out which state has the highest employment rate for pharmacists and intern alike. You might not find living in Broken Arrow, OK as glamorous as living in New York City or San Francisco, but if the job pays the bills and more, why not?

pieffe in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

aabdraff57 in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Experiences vary.

The first couple of years could be hard especially if you need sponsorship to work in the USA. Truth be told, you might not get any offer at all.

I'm not sure if studying English was your stepping stone to becoming a licensed pharmacist here. In addition, what is your visa status? F-1, J-1?

The process is laborious and yes, quite costly. The FPGEE wasn't too hard as long as you're determined to do it. I'm pretty sure you'll sail through your TOEFL in flying colors.

If you're flexible, perhaps you can do a market research and find out which state has the highest employment rate for pharmacists and intern alike. You might not find living in Broken Arrow, OK as glamorous as living in New York City or San Francisco, but if the job pays the bills and more, why not?

thank you very much for your answer.
I'm on a F1 status right now.What really scares me is going through this long and expensive process and at the end of the day get nothing. I know that also for the intern before getting the license you need a sponsor and the scenario is quite sad right now so..I don't know,I'll try to evaluate well all the pros and cos.
Thank you very much for your answer.
ciao

Destinychild in Liverpool, United Kingdom

37 months ago

i am a qualified pharmacist currently practising in the UK. i just passed the FPGEE and TOEFL exams in april 2011 and thinking of emmigrating to the States. Can anyone pls advice on getting an internship position with any multiple chain store, independent or hospital.

lami in Leeds, United Kingdom

36 months ago

Destinychild in Liverpool, United Kingdom said: i am a qualified pharmacist currently practising in the UK. i just passed the FPGEE and TOEFL exams in april 2011 and thinking of emmigrating to the States. Can anyone pls advice on getting an internship position with any multiple chain store, independent or hospital.

Hi destinychild..I pray you have better luck than I have...passed last year september and still searching for a position.It is a lot easier if you do not need visa sponsorship or have some form of post study visa as it allows you the option of volunteering to complete your internship hours.It is reaaallly hard but if it is what you want I will advise that you keep at it but come prepared with the right mindset.All the very best.

Dennnnaaa in Iran, Islamic Republic of

35 months ago

Hi, i am finishing my school of pharmacy this year in Iran and i want to know what i should exactly do to get a job in USA.please tell me what the exams and its sources are and its time.tnx

sunitha in Garland, Texas

35 months ago

Iam a foreign pharmacist from India. Iam looking for internship and not lookingfor great pay. Idonot need visa sponsorship and have to complete my hours.I live in Dallas, texas. Any advice and suggetions are welcome.

33 months ago

hi.
it's been about 5 months since i last posted on this thread. I nailed an intern position in an independent pharmacy. It's a voluntary position so i don't get paid at all. I know it's not how it's supposed to be but i'm still thankful to the owner that she considered me. At least i'm somewhat getting closer to becoming a pharmacist. i'm just looking at it as an opportunity to learn and a gateway to licensure.

It's a fact that internship programme in the US is really getting harder by the day - back in the days it was very open to foreign grads and the chains were even "buying out" contracts of interns. Then they preferred those who do not need sponsorships, then those who are willing to do voluntary internship. Who knows what else in the coming years.. So the sooner you nail one, the better.. just keep looking... good luck.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.