How can a US pharmacist (Pharm.D) work in the UK?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

alex in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

I just finished my first year of pharmacy school and would like to look into getting a pharmacy job in London, UK once I finish school. I will be getting my Pharm.D, but I don't know if the degree transfers, or if there is another exam to take... basically I have no idea how to go about figuring this out. If anyone has any information that could help me, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know about transferring to the UK, what kind of salary pharmacists make in London, and what kind of pharmacy opportunities are available. Please provide website links if at all possible. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (168) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Little Rock, Arkansas

67 months ago

I emailed the RPSGB but they haven't responded to my email...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

leicester pharmacist in Leicester, United Kingdom

66 months ago

hi i was wandeing the same thing about the us im studying in the uk and was wandering what the prospects put in the us are like for an Mpharm Graduate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

student pharmacist in Stockton, California

64 months ago

Sorry for the confusion. To clarify, this woman was a pharmacist in the UK, but her UK pharmacy degree did not allow her to work in the US until she had worked a year as an intern and passed the board.

Also to clarify, it wasn't an entire Wiki page on this subject; it was somewhere on the page about the different international pharmacy degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

khaira1187 in San Luis Obispo, California

63 months ago

I am looking into this matter as well. Studying the United Kingdom but practicing here in California. I know rules are strict but I can't seem to find anything concrete on websites that has legal writing explaining the rules and regulations of practice. I had heard from many people that a degree out of the US will not allow you to practice in the US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leia in Albuquerque, New Mexico

62 months ago

khaira1187 in San Luis Obispo, California said: I am looking into this matter as well. Studying the United Kingdom but practicing here in California. I know rules are strict but I can't seem to find anything concrete on websites that has legal writing explaining the rules and regulations of practice. I had heard from many people that a degree out of the US will not allow you to practice in the US.

If you go to your state pharmacy board, they should have guidelines on how to practice in the US as a pharmacist when you were trained abroad. Here in New Mexico you need to pass a pharmacy licensing exam and practice for a year as an Intern before obtaining your full license. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

PharmD in East Setauket, New York

57 months ago

sagar pamu in warangal, India said: hi,me sagar i have joined in pharm d(P.B)ist year pragramme in tamilnadu,i dont know any rules and regulations of us and uk. so i want to know some informations of about jobs in us and uk, how to approach them and any entrance exams we have to write and wat type of visa we need. This all informations i need to knowmso please help me to get this information.thank u. please dont delay it

ALL foreign degrees in pharmacy have to be evaluated by US agency like CES. then if your degree is deemed equal to US you have to sit for the equivalency exam (yes even after it is deemed equivalent). That is termed as FPGEC certification. You also have to take the TOEFL and pass it. Then you apply for an intern permit and intern for 1 year. Then you apply for the NAPLEX exam and pass. In some states you have to pass the compounding exam also. Then you must pass the MPJE exam for a given state.... AND Then you are licensed. You may do residency if you wish for 1 or 2 years. You will start at around $125,000 per annum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

adamguru in London, United Kingdom

48 months ago

The General Pharmaceutical Council has replaced the RPSGB (Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain) as the regulator for pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy premises in England, Scotland and Wales.

have a look here www.pharmacyregulation.org/ that's new website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anant in Mumbai, India

42 months ago

alex in Chicago, Illinois said: I just finished my first year of pharmacy school and would like to look into getting a pharmacy job in London, UK once I finish school. I will be getting my Pharm.D, but I don't know if the degree transfers, or if there is another exam to take... basically I have no idea how to go about figuring this out. If anyone has any information that could help me, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know about transferring to the UK, what kind of salary pharmacists make in London, and what kind of pharmacy opportunities are available. Please provide website links if at all possible. Thank you!

hi friends i am graduate pharmacist and want to join the pharm.d programme in UK, what are the requirements?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Vinay Pawar (PharmD in India) in Kurnool, India

41 months ago

PharmD in East Setauket, New York said: ALL foreign degrees in pharmacy have to be evaluated by US agency like CES. then if your degree is deemed equal to US you have to sit for the equivalency exam (yes even after it is deemed equivalent). That is termed as FPGEC certification. You also have to take the TOEFL and pass it. Then you apply for an intern permit and intern for 1 year. Then you apply for the NAPLEX exam and pass. In some states you have to pass the compounding exam also. Then you must pass the MPJE exam for a given state.... AND Then you are licensed. You may do residency if you wish for 1 or 2 years. You will start at around $125,000 per annum.

Hi Friend,

Your information is very nice but can you tell me how much time does it actually takes to complete all of these exams & can we work as an intern (with a payment) in US?
If yes, how much amount will we get as an intern?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Germantown, Maryland

41 months ago

Vinay Pawar (PharmD in India) in Kurnool, India said: Hi Friend,

Your information is very nice but can you tell me how much time does it actually takes to complete all of these exams & can we work as an intern (with a payment) in US?
If yes, how much amount will we get as an intern?

It depends you good you are. It took me only five days to study for exams. My intern salary was $28.00 per hour (in 2006).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vinay Pawar (PharmD) in Kurnool, India

41 months ago

Thanks friend,

Can u tell me that how can I prepare for all these exams (FPGEE, NAPLEX, MPJE & etc.) i.e. which books do I need to read for these exams as I am from India.

Hey friend,
do u know the procedure for getting hospital pharmacist job in UK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ourfather in Liverpool, United Kingdom

39 months ago

Seriously too many pharmacists in the UK!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Fullerton, California

34 months ago

swetha in La Verne, California said: hai i finished myb.pharmacy in india,now i came to us to join pharm.d international programme,wat are the requirements to join this programme?

Hey Swetha,

I am from India too. I have bachelor of pharmacy degree from india and I am planning to apply for Pharm. D in the US. Do I need to apply for pre-pharmacy or will be credits be transfered and I can get in to pharm.d program directly.
Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Bipin kumar yadav in Bangalore, India

34 months ago

pharm D is nice u can do in 6 year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.