is there a shortage of jobs for pharmacists?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 153 of 153)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

EmptyChair in New York, New York

15 months ago

EDUCATION=17 YEARS...............EXPERIENCE=18 YEARS(MAJOR HOSPITAL)+11 YEARS(MAJOR CHAIN)...........62 YRS OLD...........FIRED(JUNE 2012)........
LOST HOME........LOST FAMILY..........X'MAS EVE 2012..................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

15 months ago

I never anticipated I would be unemployed. Unable to get a job with 30 years experience, a BSP, a Pharm.D, coupled with a history in a variety of practice settings.

The reason the chains want young pharmacists? They will implement any MBA corporate program, no matter how demeaning. They won’t expect a decent wage. They will die at their station because they are desperate to pay off loans. They will depend on the computer to make clinical decisions instead of reviewing each patient’s file. They will tolerate nonsense because they are desperate to keep their jobs.

The real remedy to this problem is a HUGE contraction in the pharmacist work force. In other words, another shortage. That will occur after my time, When the reality of current pharmacy practice is well known. Only fools will pay money for a worthless degree and a chance at an abusive, short term, job.

The Boards of Pharmacy have abdicated their job. The current situation is dangerous to patients. If you are unable to review the patients Hx, mistakes of omission will occur. It’s not just filling the RX as written. It’s making sure there isn’t something missing. Look up errors of Omission and Commission.

I stopped a Fentanyl TTS fatal OD, because I reviewed the chart. Pt. had stopped the drug months before. She wanted to restart the 100mcg patch. She lied to the MD about current use.

Under the current system, patients will die. Lawsuits will go up, because we are unable to do our job (Patient presentation meshed with Hx and current Rx data.) Reforms based on patient safety (deaths)will be made.

Stay away from Pharmacy. If you are in school now, consider switching to a Physician’s Assistant or MD program. I assume they are still in demand.College used to be the answer. It’s not any more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scared for Rx in New York, New York

15 months ago

I am about to graduate pharmacy school in May 2013. I have to stay in the Metro NYC area b/c of my sick parents. I went to my school's job fair, and it was an absolute mess! The recruiters (none of them were pharmacists)interviewed students for like 10 mins. or less! Each of the major chain recruiters interviewed 75-80 students each! Now tell me if this is not troubling. Interview day felt like a musical chairs marathon! If I wasn't in such deep debt b/c of pharmacy school, I would have taken a crack at the MCAT and aim for medical school, nursing or PA school. But I also heard that those markets are saturated as well!

For pharmacy students who are about to graduate - acquire skills that will look good to hospitals. Retail as it is currently practiced is unsustainable. Pharmacy practice, especially retail, is in a bubble that will pop very soon.For students that are aiming to go to pharmacy school - please reconsider. Go to pharmacy school if and only if you have family members that are pharmacists that can get you jobs while in school or after school. I am convinced to get a job in retail, you need family members within the company already. I have gone into many retail stores and asked for jobs and I get the same reply, "Apply online". Every time I walk into a retail chain I see new people working each time (whether they are store clerks, pharmacy techs, or even pharmacists). So what gives? Is there a hiring freeze or no? The only people I see on a regular basis are the store managers.....

Hospital is the way to go, I am convinced. Residency is ok, but if you have common sense, you can get hired as a staff pharmacist and work your way to clinical......New hospitals aren't opened like every month on every street corner.

For those who have not graduated yet, keep up the good fight. The retail jobs are getting slimmer and slimmer, and after I saw what went down at the school's job fair, pharmacy's future isn't looking all too good.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.