Bad Pharmacy Tech Schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 215 of 215)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

Joey in Medford, Massachusetts

22 months ago

Abi in San Jose, California said: I need help! I want to be a pharmacy tech but dont know how to start. I get confused with which school to go and if I do really need to go to school. And I dont want to pay so much for school too. I read comments that some didnt even went to school. But then how do I get my self certified right? I just dont have the right people to talk to so hopefully someone would reply and give me some advice. Thanks!

Hello Jose,
If you want to be a pharmacy technician, I suggest you:
1. Contact employers in your area and ask what kind of education there looking for.
2. Do a job search for pharmacy tech jobs in your area to find:
a. How in demand is a pharmacy tech.
b. How much can you looked to be paid. Go to payscale.com and they can tell you what to average pay in for a pharmacy tech in your area is.
3. Get in touch with your State board of Pharmacy (by phone or website) and see if you need certification or registration, if you don’t I still recommend getting it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

ImaCPhT in Sacramento, California said: There are other accredited programs for less, but they are not degree programs. They are only certificate programs. Yes, there are some community colleges that offer the program. Consumnes River College out here in Sacramento offers Pharm Tech. However, you will still have to complete your general ed to receive your degree. Yes, it will be cheaper, but it will also take longer depending on whether or not you have to work and whether or not the classes that you need are available during that particular semester. Trust me, I looked into it and I was not thrilled about the thought of $27,000, but after being laid off for the second time in one year (I was a manager at Office Depot for 6 years, then at Micheals for 1 year), I needed to make a change. I contemplated a nursing program, but like I said, I needed to make a change and waiting for a slot in a nursing program in California takes at least 2 years. There is no guarantee you are getting in because it's a lottery. If you don't get in in 2 years, then you get in by default. Going to a technical school isn't for everyone, but in my case, it was perfect. I got in, did great, got a great job and can move on with my life.

Yes nurses make good money, but you’re not starting off at 85,000 a year. Defiantly not with an associate degree. The average salary for a nurse with a bachelor’s degree in around 55,000 a year.
If you had a Master degree in nursing you start at 60k to 65. Most specialty areas require (Like working with an Anesthesiologist) over 10 to 15 of experience; before a Anesthesiologist will work with you and most people who work with an Anesthesiologist as an assistant are not nurses, but their people with Master’s degree in Anesthesiology or Pharmacology.
Yes nurses make good money, but your not starting off at

22 months ago

Pharmacy is the place to be in today’s world. If you want to be a pharmacy technician. I go to a four year accredited college and get an Associate’s degree in pharmacology, pharmaceutical or toxicology, but you’re better off getting Bachelors. A bachelor with give you many more opportunities. This will allow you to work as a pharmacy tech in a hospital or specialty pharmacy. Work as a Research assistant in pharmaceutical companies’ research. Work in pharmaceutical sales (if your good salesmen you can make very big money. Well over 100k)
A Master’s degree with give you to opportunity to work as a pharmacy manager running a pharmacy. Many jobs as this usually requires a Master’s degree, but if you have more than 5 years of experience you can try if you have bachelors.
Also remember it depends on where you are. Jobs in one part of this country may offer more or less for an opposition as a Pharmacy Tech. Here in Massachusetts Pharmacy tech have the highest starting pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cwilma41@yahoo.com in Palos Hills, Illinois

21 months ago

Yea I agree with the comments on this page. I went to this school also, but I paid $ 700.00 for my class. you don't need the class. All you have to do is log on to the pharmacy tecj certifacation board and take the exam for a fee. The reaspms why a lot of Pharmacies are not hiring is because they usually hire they're own employers to work in their Pharmacy. They pay for them to go to school and come back and get hired by their boss. I don't know why they don't want outside help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Coolshandell in Fayetteville, North Carolina

16 months ago

I am currently enrolled with allied business Schools and like it alot. I have been enrolled for five months now and the course work encourages you to learn. I take my last test on 8-17-2013 and am very excited to get my certificate and take the PTCB. The price wasn't bad I paid a first payment of $200.00 dollars for books and make monthly installments of $89.00 in all I will end up paying roughly $1200 dollars thats a deal compared with what some of my community colleges are quoting in North Carolina.

Erica in Sacramento, California

11 months ago

I read a really good article on picking out the best pharmacy tech schools at this website: www.howtobecomeapharmacytech.org/select-right-pharmacy-technician-schools

Hope this helps...

msnoni in Oakland, California

6 months ago

what school did you enroll in

Marcus in San Francisco, California said: What's the old saying "You get what you pay for"?

As far as not getting called back. If you mentioned what school you attended that may have an effect on responses.

I've heard that some companies will find out a candidate attended a particular school with bad reputation and they won't even give the person any chance at all.

I'm currently enrolled in PT class in SF Bay Area. The program is a $10,000 program that lasts 7 months.

Very in-depth and designed to help students past PTCB exam. So far the instructor has had 100% passing of all students who have taken the exam.

Choosing a school only because it's close to home certainly isn't the way to go when you need to make sure you have thorough top-notch instruction and assistance from the school.

Good Luck!

msnoni in Oakland, California

6 months ago

what school did you enroll in

ddavis in Roscommon, Michigan

6 months ago

I started out at UMA in Florida for a LONG DRAWN OUT EXPENSIVE ONLINE CLASS only to educate myself more about the online schools. I then found another online program through Allied for a little under $1,000.00 and backed out of UMA's program and signed up for Allied's program. For $200.00 to start (had to pay by debit right then and agree to have my $85.00 payment debited each month) really didn't care for that. I am now thinking about just getting the exam book and going and taking the test. I worked 20 years as a pharmacy tech for walmart with no experience and was making over $18.00 an hour. They required NO certification nor experience, it was all on-hand. Unfortunately at walmart once you hit your 20 year mark you have a target on your back and 5 months after my 20 year date they found a reason to fire me. I am now job searching and walgreens called me and was going to hire me right then for $8.00 an hour. The drive was too far for me to accept and was only part-time. I am still trying to get into the 1 in my town but if i do then why am i paying Allied for something walgreens will pay for? I could probably go and just take the test and pass after 20 years in the business but i am nervous. I haven't made my first payment yet other than the first $200.00. ANY ADVICE ??

6 months ago

Kay in Chicago, Illinois said: Don't be discouraged. Pharmacy tech jobs are expected to grow because of the baby boomers in the next 10 years. Hang in there, this profession is here to stay. But please don't take out a hugh loan unless the credits are transferrable to a university. You may want to become a pharmacist and the time and money you spent will be worth it. The pay rate is unfair because of the stressful work involved. If all technicians went on strike they would truly see the importance and value of pharmacy technicians.

Kay, I thought i had a solid position after 20 years at walmart pharmacy and was the pharmacists top tech and i DID NOT have my certification and 2 others did but i put my heart and soul into my job and he relied on me for everything. After 20 years corporate america stepped in and found a reason to fire me because I believe my wage was getting too high. The pharmacist NEVER said 1 word to stand up for me and that was that i am now unemployed and getting my cert online in hopes it will help me get a job. I learned the hard way we are all expendable !!!!!!

6 months ago

SamWanker in Los Altos, California said: I've briefly researched this plus talk to some people working in some pharmaceuticals. In California, you can never work with drugs if you aren't certified by our state. To be certified, you must pass the State exam. But before you can take the State exam, you must have completed the required school and lab hours backed by school certificates and transcripts. Yes, some people earn $10 to $12/ hr working in a Pharmaceutical but not as a pharmacy tech. Those who earn less than $15 are aids or (as I read on previous notes) pharm slaves. Yes you can still work in a pharmaceuticals without experience or certificates but you can never work with medicines. You will be only be labeled as regular worker at the lowest level. So I guess, going to school and slashing some cash to get a diploma is applicable to where I live just because you will go nowhere without it.
Again, this only applies to all California residences as I didn't researched with other states. My statement may or may not apply to other states.

In Michigan it IS NOT a requirement to be certified although when i mentioned at an interview i was in school for my certificate the hourly rate went from $8.00 an hour to $9.50 an hour but was only 2 days a week and a 40 minute drive. I had to decline, I would have been losing money.

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

6 months ago

ddavis in Roscommon, Michigan said: I worked 20 years as a pharmacy tech for walmart with no experience and was making over $18.00 an hour. They required NO certification nor experience, it was all on-hand. Unfortunately at walmart once you hit your 20 year mark you have a target on your back and 5 months after my 20 year date they found a reason to fire me. I am now job searching and walgreens called me and was going to hire me right then for $8.00 an hour. The drive was too far for me to accept and was only part-time. I am still trying to get into the 1 in my town but if i do then why am i paying Allied for something walgreens will pay for? I could probably go and just take the test and pass after 20 years in the business but i am nervous. I haven't made my first payment yet other than the first $200.00. ANY ADVICE ??

Since you were fired, did you qualified for the WIA grant, where you don't have to pay for any schooling? I would contact and register with your state's unemployment office and look into that to see if you are qualified. Also why go back into pharmacy tech position since you have so much experience. I would look into something like CDR Case Review, Pharmacy Technician Supervisor or something more focused on dealing with health insurance since it sounds like you have a lot of experience dealing with 3rd party insurance and pharmacy billing and reimbursement. You are too experienced to be starting over as a pharmacy technician, especially at that pay scale. Depending on your state and your background, you might qualified to go back to school to earn your associates or even bachelors. You might qualify for grants and scholarships for being a nontraditional student based on your age.

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

6 months ago

ddavis in Roscommon, Michigan said: In Michigan it IS NOT a requirement to be certified although when i mentioned at an interview i was in school for my certificate the hourly rate went from $8.00 an hour to $9.50 an hour but was only 2 days a week and a 40 minute drive. I had to decline, I would have been losing money.

Personally I think you could have put part of the $200 dollars and purchased a book or two and studied on your own. The exam is not that hard. You are basically using the same math that you used when you was working in Walmart pharmacy, you definitely know the basics of pharmacy billing and reimbursement, pharmacy law and regulation, medication safety, medication order entry and fill process, pharmacy information system usage and application and a slew of information listed on PTCE blueprint domain.

April Brown PharmD in Fort Myers, Florida

4 months ago

ddavis in Roscommon, Michigan said: I started out at UMA in Florida for a LONG DRAWN OUT EXPENSIVE ONLINE CLASS only to educate myself more about the online schools. I then found another online program through Allied for a little under $1,000.00 and backed out of UMA's program and signed up for Allied's program. For $200.00 to start (had to pay by debit right then and agree to have my $85.00 payment debited each month) really didn't care for that. I am now thinking about just getting the exam book and going and taking the test. I worked 20 years as a pharmacy tech for walmart with no experience and was making over $18.00 an hour. They required NO certification nor experience, it was all on-hand. Unfortunately at walmart once you hit your 20 year mark you have a target on your back and 5 months after my 20 year date they found a reason to fire me. I am now job searching and walgreens called me and was going to hire me right then for $8.00 an hour. The drive was too far for me to accept and was only part-time. I am still trying to get into the 1 in my town but if i do then why am i paying Allied for something walgreens will pay for? I could probably go and just take the test and pass after 20 years in the business but i am nervous. I haven't made my first payment yet other than the first $200.00. ANY ADVICE ??

Hi ddavis, Kay is right about using caution regarding high-ticket schools. And, there are very big changes about to occur (nationally) in the pharmacy technician profession, however, and it will be JUST as important to consider the very real limitations of a super cheap program too. ALL employers are already planning for a new shift and you will want to place yourself in the best possible position. I actually own an 'all-pharmacist' taught, reasonably priced technician school here (not yet in my home state (MI)) but I can tell you that you will want to get certified right away and more importantly actually master the material. Best of Luck!

RxTechExam in Washington, District of Columbia

4 months ago

Great idea for a forum! There are so many pathetic schools out there. I worked as an instructor for Virginia College. I can't put into words how disappointed their students were. Look at how much you'll spend vs. How much you'll make. Spending more than one years wage to go to school is unheard of in every other profession, don't understand why career schools can get away with it. I became so fed up with them I developed my own website, integrated a tried and true curriculum that I developed with a Doctor of Pharmacy and have some very happy students.

It's completely online, self-paced, with solid instructor support.

Preston Davis
RxTechExam.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.