Boston Reed College for Pharmacy Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Marce in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

Has anyone taken the training through Boston Reed College and what has been your experience getting a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rajbir in Fresno, California

59 months ago

I can't find a job from last eight months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BOSTON REED GRAD in Yuba City, California

59 months ago

Hello,
I didn't finish class for Pharmacy Tech through Boston Reed, but I did take a course there. However, my sister in law did and she is now working for KAISER in the bay area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

BOSTON REED GRAD in Yuba City, California said: Hello,
I didn't finish class for Pharmacy Tech through Boston Reed, but I did take a course there. However, my sister in law did and she is now working for KAISER in the bay area.

Well, that sounds encouraging. Was she able to find work right away after she finished the course? I am hoping to complete my course in May.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

simple girl in SAN FRAN, California

58 months ago

Marce in Los Angeles, California said: Well, that sounds encouraging. Was she able to find work right away after she finished the course? I am hoping to complete my course in May.

good luck glad some one had better experinces that I did at boston reed..they were horrible to me

58 months ago

What do you mean? How were they horrible to you?

simple girl in SAN FRAN, California

58 months ago

Marce in Los Angeles, California said: What do you mean? How were they horrible to you?

Where do I begin?? Lets see..my teacher SAID MANY TIMES that QUESTIONS SHOULD NOT BE ASKED, as it was disruptive from the class..( THEY LATER DISMESSED ME FROM THE CLASS FROM THIS) THe teacher was downright NASTY to me in every way possible. She embaressed me and OTHERS in front of the class. She shared personal INFO about me with the class . Also they MARKED questions wrong on tests that were really correct and when asked to fixed I was spoken to very rudley as the teacher must have been embaressed for her careless errrors..Most of what I learned was from reading the text myself..The teacher you could tell did not READ the chapters as we did. It was a horrible experince, If you would like to discuss this futher you can email me at asimplemind85@gmail.com as I am in the process of filing a complain with the BBB for them and am not sure what I should share here or not. Thanks so much

timtevtritentes in Clovis, California

40 months ago

Marce in Los Angeles, California said: Has anyone taken the training through Boston Reed College and what has been your experience getting a job?[/QUOT

I took the pharmacy tech course at the fresno location two years ago.....and after that got my certification right away...did not actively seek for employment because I was also in school full time.....I got hired last fall and has been working since...

I dont think Boston Reed is that bad....in any training class you take...if you really want to learn, its all up to you how much you want learn....I thought the tuition was the cheapest so I took advantage of it.....I heard some cost up to 16,000 and they learn the same thing........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lizeth in Lemoore, California

37 months ago

I went to school in fresno 2 yrs ago n i havent found a job yet, a lot of places want experience and i dnt have the experience their asking, i really want to work as a pharmacy tech, can anyone help me find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Marce in San Gabriel, California

37 months ago

Marce in Los Angeles, California said: Has anyone taken the training through Boston Reed College and what has been your experience getting a job?

Hah! Good luck finding a job! I took their course last year and put out applications to all the major supermarket chains that had pharmacies, plus the discount drug stores like Rite Aid and CVS and NOTHING! Not even one interview! And they continue to raise the cost of their course now.

In my opinion, they LIED about how lucrative the job market would be! They made it seem like jobs are plentiful and pharmacy techs are in demand. I think the field (at least in the western area) is saturated now with pharm. tech graduates all looking for work. It helps if you speak two or more languages, but if you don't, good luck my friend! Also, I think most places prefer to hire young people, or people with 10+ years of experience.

I am very soured on the whole thing, having spent over $2000 on the course, graduated top of my class, got licensed and jumped through all the hoops they required, and could not find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cpht in Fresno, California

27 months ago

Lizeth in Lemoore, California said: I went to school in fresno 2 yrs ago n i havent found a job yet, a lot of places want experience and i dnt have the experience their asking, i really want to work as a pharmacy tech, can anyone help me find a job?

As a pharm tech with extensive experience, my advice to all of you looking for a job in the field is to keep looking. Look at other positions within corporations that promote from within. Start as a pharmacy messenger, unit clerk, cashier, etc. The company is more likely to hire an employee that they have already invested money in with training & background checks.

RxTeacher in Visalia, California

27 months ago

Simple Girl - I know you posted this forever ago but on behalf of Boston Reed I want to apologize. I have been an instructor with BRC for almost 6 years and I find it appalling that you were treated that way. It's so unfortunate that one bad instructor can tarnish the name of a nation wide school. I want to assure anyone thinking of attending BRC that we instructors are not all like that.

With any school it's best to get the experiences from past students that took the course locally. BRC is a great choice for those who want to take an accredited pharmacy technician program. The course is only 21 weeks and meets just 7 hours a week. It's is by far one of the least expensive schools out there too.

As far as job opportunities, it was grim there for a while. But I can't think of a field out there that will 100% guarantee you will be able to find employment right out of school. The future is looking bright though and the economy is looking better. In California pharmacy technicians is one of the fastest growing fields out there. There will always be a need for us and new pharmacies are opening all the time. Good luck in whatever you decide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chiio in Tijuana, Mexico

27 months ago

Has somebody taken Pharmacy Technician Program in Montgomery Adult School??? How was your experience?? Did you get job???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Bequette in milpitas, California

25 months ago

Hi. I am getting ready to register for Boston Reed College for the Pharmacy Tech program right here in Milpitas, CA. I am hoping someone out there who reads this will be able to tell me if they were successful after getting their state license if they were able to become employed in this area. And also am wondering if they are good about getting you placed in an externship program soon after classes are over with. Please advise.

QotaiCom in Needham, Massachusetts

25 months ago

Yes, I live in Close to Boston, about 15 minute from Boston Reed College for the Pharmacy Tech programs, i know couple people that teach there, very good programs, i will give it an A-,
and i also want you to post any jobs classifieds for free at qotai.com

jana in Diamond Bar, California

25 months ago

i went to boston reed college veternarian course.i passed high in my class too.right now im having a wonderful time,looking forxternship.i thought the class was great, but im still unemployed.

QponLady in Stockton, California

25 months ago

I am currently enrolled in BRC in their pharmacy tech program. Our instructor has been very well knowledgable in the field, I was quite impressed. But just recently, the college called me one day to say that the CPR instructor, whom our instructor referred us to, is not licensed at all and I would have to retake another CPR course. Yeah, $30 later. Our whole class paid our due and took this class. Now we learn, it was all for naught, cuz the man isn't licensed. Being the only one gutsy enough, to mention it, I approached the situation to the instructor only to hear that she was genuinely surprised to hear of this since she has been referring all her students in the LAST 5 YEARS to this gentleman. WOW!!!!!!!!!! How crazy is that. My feeling is either she is reaping some of the profits-knowing this man isn't legally licensed to teach, but she's bringing in the students anyways or that perhaps he did lose his license during the time he was teaching us. Which makes him and her both crooks, cuz they both know legally and professionally, what they are doing are wrong, but are still doing it. How else are they to pay for their lavish Hawaii trips. Now, not only that, the program promises us that we will be attending school for 7 hours a week to graduate in 21 weeks. Well our instructor has informed us that because the facility we attend the college at isn't allowing us to stay past 7:30, while the course I paid for says 4:30-8:00, we have to leave at 7:30. Which puts us short on the contracted hours to completion, and so we would have to graduate a week later. Bull Crap! Now to put the frosting on the cake, she has specifically scheduled our midterm for August 8, but upon arriving to class on August 6, we get a surprise announcement that the midterm is TODAY. Obviously, majority of the class bombed, not because of our efforts to study. But because she LIED TO US. She did not keep to the syllabus, which is a legal contract between the school and me. CRAP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Hah! I am not at all surprised.Similar things were going on with my classes--often the instructor would let us leave early (which most of the class didn't mind) but still it was cheating us out of the stated hours we were supposed to get. Also, test dates were switched around and promises broken time and again about what we were scheduled to do and when it was to happen. Some lab work that was promised never happened at all. Some questions regarding the answers to homework that were asked in class never got answered. We were so far off schedule of the syllibus by the second half of the term, even the instructor(s) were confused! Also, our original instructor was "let go" (because he was not very good) and we got 2 new instructors who changed a lot of the things the other instructor had promised us. We also had to go a week beyond the originally scheduled end of class because of all the confusion and changes, etc. It was extremely frustrating to have been told one thing and planning on it, then to find out that all has changed.

Sorry for your bad experiences too. Will anything be done to allow you guys to make up the midterm?

nori in Hayward, California

25 months ago

You don't need school to get a license. A friend from work got her license by studying a book she got at Barnes and noble. I got duped paying $24k at Western Career (Carrington College). At least I can go back and get into a different career. Being a tech sucks! You deal with awful clients and many awful pharmacists!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

newgirl in Reedley, California

25 months ago

Hey noticed there are some local people here so my question is whether you guys know anything about the Sanger location. That's where I'll be taking the Pharmacy Technician course from Boston Reed. I had a coworker who had a family member take that course and it seemed to work for her. Hoping the horror stories I'm reading here are exaggerations because I've already reserved my spot for this September's class. Any information would be helpful. Also, how did you find the job market? I can be contacted at crystal_pimentel01@yahoo.com

Amal_559 in Fresno, California

22 months ago

newgirl in Reedley, California said: Hey noticed there are some local people here so my question is whether you guys know anything about the Sanger location. That's where I'll be taking the Pharmacy Technician course from Boston Reed. I had a coworker who had a family member take that course and it seemed to work for her. Hoping the horror stories I'm reading here are exaggerations because I've already reserved my spot for this September's class. Any information would be helpful. Also, how did you find the job market? I can be contacted at crystal_pimentel01@yahoo.com

Hi. I too was going to attend the Sanger location but couldn't make the Sept. 11 class due to personal reasons. Did you end up getting into the program? How do you like it so far? I would love to hear how its going for you :) Maybe I'll catch the next class

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

22 months ago

Years ago, no one went to school for that job. They trained you on the job. See how these schools took over and now, made it so you had to have some kind of certificate? They get rich off of you and you people are feeding right into it. Everything is a program now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Hey! Yes, I ended up sticking with it and I'm glad I did. I like the class and the instructor. I will mention that it requires your own discipline, I get the feeling that some of the students who didn't do so great might have been because they're used to having to be pushed. The course is designed in a way that prefers independent study. Don't get me wrong the instructor does teach but you still have to do more than just show up to class to learn everything. Hope this helps feel free to ask away if you still need more info :)

22 months ago

Amal_559 in Fresno, California said: Hi. I too was going to attend the Sanger location but couldn't make the Sept. 11 class due to personal reasons. Did you end up getting into the program? How do you like it so far? I would love to hear how its going for you :) Maybe I'll catch the next class

Hey! Yes, I ended up sticking with it and I'm glad I did. I like the class and the instructor. I will mention that it requires your own discipline, I get the feeling that some of the students who didn't do so great might have been because they're used to having to be pushed. The course is designed in a way that prefers independent study. Don't get me wrong the instructor does teach but you still have to do more than just show up to class to learn everything. Hope this helps feel free to ask away if you still need more info :)

22 months ago

newgirl in Reedley, California said: Hey! Yes, I ended up sticking with it and I'm glad I did. I like the class and the instructor. I will mention that it requires your own discipline, I get the feeling that some of the students who didn't do so great might have been because they're used to having to be pushed. The course is designed in a way that prefers independent study. Don't get me wrong the instructor does teach but you still have to do more than just show up to class to learn everything. Hope this helps feel free to ask away if you still need more info :)

Hey newgirl :)

That sounds great! I will definitely give it a try, but soooo many questions! Ahhhhh!! lol.. I know when the program is finished you get a certificate, but does the school help you get registered and do you take the PCTB Exam there also? Is there alot of students in the class where its hard to get help? Also, Do they help with job placement? And, is this a once a year program? I would hate to wait until next year to get in :( Just wondering when the next class will start . Thanks in Advance :)

22 months ago

Amal_559 in Fresno, California said: Hey newgirl :)

That sounds great! I will definitely give it a try, but soooo many questions! Ahhhhh!! lol.. I know when the program is finished you get a certificate, but does the school help you get registered and do you take the PCTB Exam there also? Is there alot of students in the class where its hard to get help? Also, Do they help with job placement? And, is this a once a year program? I would hate to wait until next year to get in :( Just wondering when the next class will start . Thanks in Advance :)

Yes you do get a certificate that helps you meet the requirements for being registered in CA which is not the same thing as being PTCB certified. They walk you through the whole process of becoming registered and applying to take PTCB exam. No, the exam is not taken at the school but at one of their testing sites. The class I'm in has about 13 students the instructor's good about making sure everyone is on track before moving on so I don't get that whole getting lost in the crowd feeling. They don't do job placement but they do get you and externship. I don't think it's a once a year program because she did mention a summer course she did before ours started in September. I would check their website just to be sure. Good questions by the way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

newgirl in Reedley, California said: Yes you do get a certificate that helps you meet the requirements for being registered in CA which is not the same thing as being PTCB certified. They walk you through the whole process of becoming registered and applying to take PTCB exam. No, the exam is not taken at the school but at one of their testing sites. The class I'm in has about 13 students the instructor's good about making sure everyone is on track before moving on so I don't get that whole getting lost in the crowd feeling. They don't do job placement but they do get you and externship. I don't think it's a once a year program because she did mention a summer course she did before ours started in September. I would check their website just to be sure. Good questions by the way!

Thanks for the answers! :) Now, I just need to figure out if I would like to enroll or not. My only thing thats holding me back is that, besides knowing the basics, I'm REALLYYYY Bad with Math :( So hard to decide...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.