Career change from LVN to pharmacy tech?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Amanda in Lake Jackson, Texas

33 months ago

I have an LVN license, though I have not worked in many years. My experience includes hospital pediatrics and an allergy/asthma clinic. After being home with my children, I am beginning to think of working again. However, my nursing experience is way out of date, and the re-training available is too far from where I live. However, the local community college offers pharmacy tech training. The thing that has driven me away from nursing is the bedside, hand-holding, back-breaking labor part of it.

It seemed the techs at the hospital had it pretty good. I have no intrest in doing retail, no desire to deal with people in that way.

I also enjoyed working in the lab at the allergy clinic, mixing antigens. Loved that there as a defined set of rules and clear answers.

My question is... could I handle the pharmacy math? I did well in math during LVN school (in 1992-yikes!). But it did not focus much on mixing or IV solutions.. was more how many cc's to give, how many pills, etc.

I also realize this could be a drop in pay, but, after being home for 11 years, anything would be good as long as I enjoy it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.