Did you take your PTCE Exam? Please come here and help others....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 940)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

82 months ago

Greetings,

If you taken your PTCE Exam, it would be of great help to everyone to know what you seen (if you can remember) on your exam. If you can remember specific questions that would be of great help also.

I did take the exam, its been awhile, I did have quite a few math questions, I failed by a few points, If I would have studied math over everything else, I feel that I would have passed, but I did not study that way, I tried to remember everything else, which I thought was fatal mistake on my grade after it was over, I also lost my calculator at the door because i had to many functions, so they took it, that did not help either.

I can not remember anything specific since it has been awhile since I took the test, there were some basic questions on the exam, you would have to be down right stupid to get them wrong as they were really basic, such as how many inches do you need to be within the laminar flowhood...I also feel there were quite of few basic math formulas on the test as there was some quite diffcult one I had to go through without my calculator, I also remember a couple of allegation questions on the test, maybe 1 or 2 drip formula questions, and such.

Thank-You for your time on help others....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

82 months ago

I did see the DEA question on how to determine if the drug store has a valid DEA number, I have also seen others post that also, I have also heard know your scedule II information, IE: is scedule II drugs locked up? or how long is a Scedule II drug prescription good for? stuff like that.

See this is the type of information we all need to know about, we need to know what is a constant on all the exams, the more information we are armed with, the better our chances will be on the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine in Rochester, Vermont

80 months ago

this is really good way of helping each other. i havent been to the exam before but i can get an idea of how it is going to be. SO PLEASE EVERYONE START PUTTING THEIR EXPERIENCE OF THE EXAMS QUESTIONS

THANKS DAVID AND THANK YOU ALL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lenn in Miami, Florida

79 months ago

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: Greetings,

If you taken your PTCE Exam, it would be of great help to everyone to know what you seen (if you can remember) on your exam. If you can remember specific questions that would be of great help also.

I did take the exam, its been awhile, I did have quite a few math questions, I failed by a few points, If I would have studied math over everything else, I feel that I would have passed, but I did not study that way, I tried to remember everything else, which I thought was fatal mistake on my grade after it was over, I also lost my calculator at the door because i had to many functions, so they took it, that did not help either.

I can not remember anything specific since it has been awhile since I took the test, there were some basic questions on the exam, you would have to be down right stupid to get them wrong as they were really basic, such as how many inches do you need to be within the laminar flowhood...I also feel there were quite of few basic math formulas on the test as there was some quite diffcult one I had to go through without my calculator, I also remember a couple of allegation questions on the test, maybe 1 or 2 drip formula questions, and such.

Thank-You for your time on help others....

Hi!! Conversion you need to memorize that, Formula, DEA Forms,Drug Schedule,and Generic/ Brand names.
I would recommend you to purchase the "Mosby's Review for the PTCB" it covers everything you need for the test. ISBN 0-323-03367-9. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jethro Craig in New York, New York

77 months ago

I'm just finishing my certificate course on May 1st and my PTCE is scheduled for the end of May. I'm fully understanding everything as we go along and getting "A's" on my class exams, but I'm afraid that the PTCE questions will be harder, trickier, and focus mostly on calculations and drug names and classes (which has been confirmed and I will now put most of the focus on). But it's hard to know what else to pick out of the 300+ page book we'll be finishing. Potentially, they could ask us ANYTHING in there (it's an APhA book) but who is going to or can memorize and entire 300+ page book? Anyone else reading this who has taken the exam any additional insight would be helpful. I will share as well once I sit for the exam at the end of May.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Galina Dimov in Monroe, North Carolina

77 months ago

Jethro Craig in New York, New York said: I'm just finishing my certificate course on May 1st and my PTCE is scheduled for the end of May. I'm fully understanding everything as we go along and getting "A's" on my class exams, but I'm afraid that the PTCE questions will be harder, trickier, and focus mostly on calculations and drug names and classes (which has been confirmed and I will now put most of the focus on). But it's hard to know what else to pick out of the 300+ page book we'll be finishing. Potentially, they could ask us ANYTHING in there (it's an APhA book) but who is going to or can memorize and entire 300+ page book? Anyone else reading this who has taken the exam any additional insight would be helpful. I will share as well once I sit for the exam at the end of May.

Hello, and good luck on your test. I am getting ready to get started to study for PTCB. I have taken pharmacy tech course back in 2004 and never had a chance to take an exem bc I got pregnant with my daughter. Now when she is almost 3 yrs old its time to go back to work, and thats what I am doing now. I need a few suggestions what materials did you study and what is the best. I still remember a lot of stuff I just need to refresh. I am terrified of calculations it was my biggest challenge. If I have any questions, can I ask you???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

LADYIVY1117 in Bronx, New York

77 months ago

I BEEN A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN ALMOST 2 YEAR AT A PHARMACY RETAIL STORE. MY PAY IS $9.00 AN HOUR AFTER COMPLETING 1 YEAR.I HAVE NO PHARMACY TECH. CERTIFICATED, I AM PLANNING TO TAKE THE PCTB EXAM.IS IT BEST TO STUDY FOR THE EXAM ON MY OWN OR TAKE A COURSE ONLINE? IF ON MY OWN, WHAT BOOKS CAN HELP?IF ONLINE WHAT SCHOOL TO APPLY? AND WHAT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CERTIFICATE AND A DIPLOMA? CAN ANYONE ADVICE ME SOMETHING..THANK YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

77 months ago

I would think, since you've been doing the job for a year, that self-study would be fine. I am just finishing a Pharmacy Tech Course at Lehman College because I had been working in health care but not in pharmacy (I'll be receiving a Certificate...I've never heard of a "Diploma" in Pharmacy Tech, but if someone is offering that, it would be the equivalent to a certificate). Go to the APhA website (www.pharmacist.com) and buy a couple of their review books. They not only prepare you for the exam but you'll see where you're deficient and what you need to study. Two of our three books are from them (Both our textbook and workbook/certification review book). We also have a Pharmacy Calculations book, which APhA also has. From what our professor has told us, and from what I've seen others post, it is EXTREMELY important that you know how to do pharmacy calculations or you will flunk the exam...it seems that is about 50% of the exam. Also, KNOW YOUR DRUGS, generic & trade names and class!!!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

77 months ago

Galina Dimov in Monroe, North Carolina said: Hello, and good luck on your test. I am getting ready to get started to study for PTCB. I have taken pharmacy tech course back in 2004 and never had a chance to take an exem bc I got pregnant with my daughter. Now when she is almost 3 yrs old its time to go back to work, and thats what I am doing now. I need a few suggestions what materials did you study and what is the best. I still remember a lot of stuff I just need to refresh. I am terrified of calculations it was my biggest challenge. If I have any questions, can I ask you???

We have 3 texts...2 of them are APhA books and can be bought from the APhA website (www.pharmacist.com). One is the 3rd edition Pharmacy Technician Textbook and the other the Pharmacy Technician Workbook/Certification Review Book (they go together, although you could use either without the other). The third book is a Pharmacy Calculations book. APhA offers one of those as well. If you're terrified of or bad at math I'd suggest you at least get this one. I have heard, both from my professor and from other tech's who have taken the exam that calculations are about 50% of the test.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else...although know I still have 4 classes left to go until I get my certificate!!! (I understand everything but boy, it's a LOT to study for the exam...I've given myself a month from the end of the course until the exam so I can do that).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

LADYIVY1117 in Bronx, New York said: I BEEN A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN ALMOST 2 YEAR AT A PHARMACY RETAIL STORE. MY PAY IS $9.00 AN HOUR AFTER COMPLETING 1 YEAR.I HAVE NO PHARMACY TECH. CERTIFICATED, I AM PLANNING TO TAKE THE PCTB EXAM.IS IT BEST TO STUDY FOR THE EXAM ON MY OWN OR TAKE A COURSE ONLINE? IF ON MY OWN, WHAT BOOKS CAN HELP?IF ONLINE WHAT SCHOOL TO APPLY? AND WHAT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CERTIFICATE AND A DIPLOMA? CAN ANYONE ADVICE ME SOMETHING..THANK YOU.

2 year college pharmacy program = diploma/degree

anything less then 2 years of college would only
be a certificate of completion of the course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

Well, I have registered to take the ExCPT exam this friday. I like this exam from the PTCB for 2 main reasons.

1: You can take it once a month, compared to 3 months with PTCB.
2: They are roughly $30+ cheaper then PTCB.

I figure I will do some damage on the test, although, I do not
feel that I may not do enough damage to pass. I am fairly weak
in math. I want to take the test to get some sort of feel for
the online test, so if i do not pass, then i will continue to
study, and hopefully increase my math skills.

There are 110 questions on the test, and 10 do not count, so this
means there are 100 questions, it sorta makes sense it would be
1 point per question, so if you miss 30 questions, then you would
get a 70 which i assume you still would pass, this is if the
grading works in that manner...if it does not, then feel free
to post and correct me. the only thing i need to bring is ID/photo id. They will provide the online calculator, pencil and paper, and you have 2 hours to complete the exam.

I will post again when I pass or fail. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

77 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: Well, I have registered to take the ExCPT exam this friday. I like this exam from the PTCB for 2 main reasons.

1: You can take it once a month, compared to 3 months with PTCB.
2: They are roughly $30+ cheaper then PTCB.

I figure I will do some damage on the test, although, I do not
feel that I may not do enough damage to pass. I am fairly weak
in math. I want to take the test to get some sort of feel for
the online test, so if i do not pass, then i will continue to
study, and hopefully increase my math skills.

There are 110 questions on the test, and 10 do not count, so this
means there are 100 questions, it sorta makes sense it would be
1 point per question, so if you miss 30 questions, then you would
get a 70 which i assume you still would pass, this is if the
grading works in that manner...if it does not, then feel free
to post and correct me. the only thing i need to bring is ID/photo id. They will provide the online calculator, pencil and paper, and you have 2 hours to complete the exam.

I will post again when I pass or fail. :)

Be careful!!! The questions are not all of equal value! Even thought there are 100 questions and that would seem one point per question, some questions are worth more points than others, so if you get say a math question wrong, it may be worth 2 or 3 points and a non-math question (on laws or something else) might only be 1/2 point. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

77 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: 2 year college pharmacy program = diploma/degree

anything less then 2 years of college would only
be a certificate of completion of the course.

I have never heard of a two year college program for a Pharmacy Technician. Who offers this? If you complete 2 years of a college program, you should be getting be an Associate's Degree. So far, I am not aware that any degrees are given out to Pharmacy Technicians...there's just not that much material to stretch that long. I mean, I spent 4 years in school and got a Bachelor's Degree (not pharmacy). What is it, an Associate's Degree in Pharmacy Technician? I can't find anything about such program on-line in the US or on the APhA or Pharmacy Tech Organization websites. Is this something new?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

Jethro in New York, New York said: Be careful!!! The questions are not all of equal value! Even thought there are 100 questions and that would seem one point per question, some questions are worth more points than others, so if you get say a math question wrong, it may be worth 2 or 3 points and a non-math question (on laws or something else) might only be 1/2 point. GOOD LUCK!

ouch...oh well, like i said, I do not think ive studied enough
to pass, but you never know, ive never been all that great
on taking tests, much less tests where you have little idea
on exactly what to study on...this will be a good opportunity to
scan through the exam...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

Jethro in New York, New York said: I have never heard of a two year college program for a Pharmacy Technician. Who offers this? If you complete 2 years of a college program, you should be getting be an Associate's Degree. So far, I am not aware that any degrees are given out to Pharmacy Technicians...there's just not that much material to stretch that long. I mean, I spent 4 years in school and got a Bachelor's Degree (not pharmacy). What is it, an Associate's Degree in Pharmacy Technician? I can't find anything about such program on-line in the US or on the APhA or Pharmacy Tech Organization websites. Is this something new?

Yes there are 2 year pharmacy tech programs, it would be an
associates degree...since pt jobs are low paying jobs, it would
not mean you would get paid anymore then the guy off the street,
nor if you had a BA degree...try looking at some local colleges, you
will find them...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LADYIVY1117 in Bronx, New York

77 months ago

Jethro in New York, New York said: I would think, since you've been doing the job for a year, that self-study would be fine. I am just finishing a Pharmacy Tech Course at Lehman College because I had been working in health care but not in pharmacy (I'll be receiving a Certificate...I've never heard of a "Diploma" in Pharmacy Tech, but if someone is offering that, it would be the equivalent to a certificate). Go to the APhA website ( www.pharmacist.com ) and buy a couple of their review books. They not only prepare you for the exam but you'll see where you're deficient and what you need to study. Two of our three books are from them (Both our textbook and workbook/certification review book). We also have a Pharmacy Calculations book, which APhA also has. From what our professor has told us, and from what I've seen others post, it is EXTREMELY important that you know how to do pharmacy calculations or you will flunk the exam...it seems that is about 50% of the exam. Also, KNOW YOUR DRUGS, generic & trade names and class!!!

Good luck!

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. THE WEBSTITE LINK GAVE ME A START FOR THE SEARCH OF BOOKS.ANY OTHER INFO. UPDATE I LOOK FORWARD TO LOOK AT.THANKS.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

77 months ago

I bought their Math Review Book and it's a good one, I'd recommend it. I have 2 more classes left then a month to study. Making my "drug flash cards" now. We were told to memorize the top 200 drugs (generic & trade name and drug class) because this seems to be the biggest thing covered along with the math. Look at the major laws that have been enacted regarding drugs as well, they start with The Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1906 in my book and highlight about 12 of them. My professor keeps saying they WILL be asking us about a few key ones of those. They're not hard, just memorization. If you get an overall review book I'd recommend the review & workbook we've used in class, "The Pharmacy Technician Workbook & Certification Review (3rd Edition)" it's and APhA publication...you can get it there or at Amazon.com. I wish we hadn't used it (it coincides exactly with our text) because now I filled it all in! It's concise and highlights all the important stuff from each chapter of the APhA test we used.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angela greene in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

has anyone taken the ptcb recently. I have taken it twice and failed. I took It in March of 08 on the computer and now I am taken it in April 29. I failed the assit the pharmacist in serving patient. I need some math help. Any suggesttion or anyone remember what was their test. I have a review book which is by mosby

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

angela greene in Charlotte, North Carolina said: has anyone taken the ptcb recently. I have taken it twice and failed. I took It in March of 08 on the computer and now I am taken it in April 29. I failed the assit the pharmacist in serving patient. I need some math help. Any suggesttion or anyone remember what was their test. I have a review book which is by mosby

I would not bother with PTCB. I just took the excpt exam, and passed. each exam could be different, but I did not have a whole lot of math on my exam, what little I did have was super easy, there were a lot of questions related to hippa. people do not realize these exams are really meant for techs with experiance, unless you have some super memory ability to memorize a book, I do not think they help all that
much...but with excpt, you can take it once a month, compared to 3 months with PTCB...when i took my exam, I went in thinking I was not going to pass, as i just wanted to see what was on the exam, but I passed instead...it was not as hard as i thought it would be...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

76 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: I would not bother with PTCB. I just took the excpt exam, and passed. each exam could be different, but I did not have a whole lot of math on my exam, what little I did have was super easy, there were a lot of questions related to hippa. people do not realize these exams are really meant for techs with experiance, unless you have some super memory ability to memorize a book, I do not think they help all that
much...but with excpt, you can take it once a month, compared to 3 months with PTCB...when i took my exam, I went in thinking I was not going to pass, as i just wanted to see what was on the exam, but I passed instead...it was not as hard as i thought it would be...

I don't think that you need to have experience to pass the exam. I have 4 friends who took a certificate course and all went on to pass the exam with flying colors before they even got a job. It's studying like anything else. If you don't learn on the job you can learn all what you need to know in a good tech course and then just put it into practice once you land a job. I have 2 classes left then a month to review and study for the exam and I've already, just to see where I stand, taken 2 practice test, and I didn't find them very difficult at all. It's all memorization and understanding basic math and proportions, etc. And good Pharmacy Tech text and/or review books, if read thoroughly and the material STUDIED should get anyone with half a brain through the exam. I think the only problem some people might have is the math, and that's because some people are just not good at math period, no matter what the context is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Melody T in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

lenn in Miami, Florida said: Hi!! Conversion you need to memorize that, Formula, DEA Forms,Drug Schedule,and Generic/ Brand names.
I would recommend you to purchase the "Mosby's Review for the PTCB" it covers everything you need for the test. ISBN 0-323-03367-9. Good luck

Hey.. I read your message on the forum. I took the exam on Sat and think that I failed it. 3 people that I knew were in there and think that they didn't pass it either. I remember a few questions that I can post but I am not sure how you do that. If you can write me back and tell me how to get it posted I will be glad to share my questions with you.
Thanks..... melodyndave@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

I took the ptcb May 3rd. Here are a few questions that I remember:
I will write the choices if I remember them. If not i will just tell you the questions. If there are only 2 choices that means that is the only choices that I remember.
1.) which is the best answer in gowning:
* the gown has to be 12 in. above the ankle
* when taking the gown off, don't touch the gown on the inside
* the gown needs to be lent free
{I have no idea what this answer was... I thought it was a rather stupid question.}

2.) What is the definition of osmosis?
3.) How are schedule II drugs files?
Seperate from the other scheduled drugs
4.) What king of equipment is a hepa filter used in?
5.) When do you use a filter needle?
* ampule
* vile
6.) What is bioavailability?
7.) the ins company will pay for a drug that the pharmacy is selling for $23.98, less 5% plus $3.00 s&h. What is the cost that the ins. co. will pay?
8.)What is a highly light sensitive drug?
Nito drugs.
9.) What drug is another name for Tegretol?
Carbamezapine
10.) A client calls the pharmacy freaking out because he just heard the the inhaler he has is being partially recalled. What is the best course of action?
*throw it away and get another refill
*send it back to the manufacturer
*call the manufacture with the number on the inhaler and ask to see if your is recalled
11.) A man takes an overdose of a drug, who will be looking into this case?
*DEA
*FDA
12.)A client is was given Bactim and you know that it will work for him because it is what kind of drug?
*Sulfamethazole
13.) Mrs. Brown was treated for hypertension, what kind of drug did the dr most likely put her on.
*dieuretic
*antiemetic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

I ran out of room so here are a few more questions:
14.) there was a question on there that was asking about the route of administration. It started with an M and had a second word to it that was Chir or Chor... something like that. I don't remember the exact question but here are some choices:
*dissolve it in water and drink it
*dissolve it under the tongue
*chew it up and swallow it
*sprinkle it on food
15.) There was a DEA question on there. It gave a number and asked which one was correct.
18.) What do you use the Orange Book for?
19.) Which book is most like the manufacturers package insert that tells about the medication
*physicians desk reference
(I forgot any other choices)
20.) the pharmacy just received a bunch of boxes that are still in storage and when you go to get them you noticed that they were out of date, what do you do?
* send them back to manufacturer
*throw them away and order more
*report it to fda
21.) Drugs on the code cart are used for what?
*emergencies only
*in case someone ran out of their medicine

That is all the specific questions that I can remember. If I remember some more later, i will write them on here as I remember them.
I can tell you this, I had ALOT and I mean ALOT of law questions. I didn't have many questions about counting pills... if any. My math questions were REALLY REALLY hard. I had at least 6 to 10 of them about the percentage questions. I can't even repeat it because I didn't have any that hard in the book that I studied.
I will tell you this, I went 1/2 way thru nursing school and I was one of 2 of us that made 100% on my mid term math exam and this math that I had on the ptcb test Sat was Way HARDER than any nursing math that I ever had. So just make sure you study the math really well.
Good luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

PS.
I just remembered. I had a lab question also.
It said that someone's LDL was 286 and wanted to know was that high or low.
I had no idea since I didn't figure that a pharmacy tech would be dealing with lab values.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in El Centro, California

76 months ago

Hello Everyone Well I will be taking the PTCB exam june 9 right after a pharmacy technician course that i am taking at a local college. If anyone has taken this exam i would appreciate a bit of feed back. How about the difference between a certificate from college... and this PTCB thing. Will having both mean more money once working as a pharm tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jethro Craig in New York, New York

76 months ago

Melody T in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Hey.. I read your message on the forum. I took the exam on Sat and think that I failed it. 3 people that I knew were in there and think that they didn't pass it either. I remember a few questions that I can post but I am not sure how you do that. If you can write me back and tell me how to get it posted I will be glad to share my questions with you.
Thanks..... melodyndave@hotmail.com

You guys are making me more nervous than I already was about taking the PTCE!!! All of you think you failed??? I hope for all of you it's not true. I just finished by Pharmacy Tech course last Thursday and will be taking my exam on May 30th. The course was very thorough and the professor (a pharmacist) was really good. I took a practice test and although it did not weigh the different areas like the real exam does, I got an 82% overall and it said you needed a 75% or higher to pass. So I was feeling good about myself but now I don't know! At least I have time to study. I don't have a problem with the math...most of the ones I got wrong were drug questions. I have yet to commit the Top 200 drugs (generic, trade name(s), class and indication) to memory but I should have plenty of time. I started to make my own flash cards but then found some awesome drug flash cards on Amazon.com that have everything we need on them (and a bit more) so I will begin studying with them tonight. Thanks for posting the info about your exam. I think that no matter how much you study or know, from a class or experience or a combination of both, they are always going to give you questions that will throw you. Just remember, they put 10 questions on every exam that do not count towards your total, so that's good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

Also think about this: you went to school. We did not. We studied on our own. If you took the pretest and made 85%, then you will be fine. Don't sweat it. Just do what you have been taught. One other thing that I remembered. Know your ounces. I was given a question about how many ounces 176 mililiters are. I knew that but because some of the others threw me so badly, I couldn't think by the time I got to that one. I had about 4 or 5 ounce questions.
You took the course.... You will do fine.
I didn't mean to scare you.
RELAX> and sorry that I made you nervous. But it was the hardest test that I ever took. Harder than any nursing math test I ever had.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

pyare in Newark, Delaware

76 months ago

LADYIVY1117 in Bronx, New York said: I BEEN A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN ALMOST 2 YEAR AT A PHARMACY RETAIL STORE. MY PAY IS $9.00 AN HOUR AFTER COMPLETING 1 YEAR.I HAVE NO PHARMACY TECH. CERTIFICATED, I AM PLANNING TO TAKE THE PCTB EXAM.IS IT BEST TO STUDY FOR THE EXAM ON MY OWN OR TAKE A COURSE ONLINE? IF ON MY OWN, WHAT BOOKS CAN HELP?IF ONLINE WHAT SCHOOL TO APPLY? AND WHAT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CERTIFICATE AND A DIPLOMA? CAN ANYONE ADVICE ME SOMETHING..THANK YOU.

It's not very difficult. Lots of common sense and little bit of basic maths will be needed. I passed my exam in May 2007. You can self study at home. I borrowed books from local library. I am 54 years old and no experience of pharmacy whatssoever. I prepared my self for exam in 3 months while working at gas station. Go for it. You will make it. DO it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

nitesh prajapati in Bhuj, India

76 months ago

dear sur,
i am studying in 2nd year in diploma pharmacy in gujarat state in india. i want know that what can i do after completed study of diploma pharmacy. Can i get job in phamaceutical company? and can i go for job out of india at australia?
reply me sur,
thank you,
Regards, nitesh prajapati

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

76 months ago

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Also think about this: you went to school. We did not. We studied on our own. If you took the pretest and made 85%, then you will be fine. Don't sweat it. Just do what you have been taught. One other thing that I remembered. Know your ounces. I was given a question about how many ounces 176 mililiters are. I knew that but because some of the others threw me so badly, I couldn't think by the time I got to that one. I had about 4 or 5 ounce questions.
You took the course.... You will do fine.
I didn't mean to scare you.
RELAX> and sorry that I made you nervous. But it was the hardest test that I ever took. Harder than any nursing math test I ever had.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'm going to obsess about it until it's over. Don't feel so negative about your exam either. You won't know for certain until those exam results come. I know that everytime I have taken a standardized exam like this I always walk out thinking I did worse than I end up doing. Let us know how you did, and thanks again for your encouragement and for sharing information!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

LadyIvy,
I am so glad to hear that you are older and passed. I only had 3 weeks to study for it because I had to work the midnight shift and never got a chance to look at anything until I got laid off 3 weeks before. The book that I had was the best that I could find but I think there were too many errors in it. It would work one problem a certain way and then work the next problem just like it another way. I became really confused. PLUS.... many of the questions that I had on my test, were not covered in the book that I had. What books did you get from the library and how did you find them at the library. I may go and check some out and work on it so If I don't pass which I am pretty sure that I didn't.
Thanks, Melody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

LadyIvy,
I am so glad to hear that you are older and passed. I only had 3 weeks to study for it as I had to take a midnight shift. What books did you check out of the library and how did you find them?
You had been working at a pharmacy for a yr. I have tried to get a job in the pharmacy and they tell me that I have to have a certification first. Alot of those questions came from experience which I didn't have. So I just keep my fingers crossed so I will have something to do making more than $7/hr.
Thanks, Melody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

Jethro,
Thanks for the vote of confidence also. I know how you feel about the obcessing until it is over. I did the same thing for 3 weeks (that is all that I had to study for it). Good luck and I bet you do very well on it. Like I said, study your law really well and your math. I didn't have any drug questions on mine. Oh, and know your ounces WELL. I had alot of those on there.
Good luck. Make sure you put a post up and let us know how you did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

my two pennies in Millwood, New York

76 months ago

This is for anyone who is stressing over the exam. I have never worked as a pharm tech, have never taken a pharmacy training course in my life, but for some reason I wanted to get a pharm tech certification because it seemed like it might be a decent job. I got the Mosbys review guide, studied for a few weeks before the exam and passed it without much of a problem. I almost blew off the test altogether and came very close to not showing up on the exam date because I thought I did not have nearly enough preparation. I dont really know how the scoring works in regards to what percent of questions you need to get right in order to pass but I honestly feel like it cant be much more than 50%. So as long as you feel like you can swing a 60% then you should be completely fine. and remember your score really doesnt matter at all as long as you pass, so if you are poor in one area such as math than just forget it and concentrate more on something you are good at. Seriously though, with minimal preparation, most people will pass the PTCE without much difficulty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

my two pennies in Millwood, New York said: This is for anyone who is stressing over the exam. I have never worked as a pharm tech, have never taken a pharmacy training course in my life, but for some reason I wanted to get a pharm tech certification because it seemed like it might be a decent job. I got the Mosbys review guide, studied for a few weeks before the exam and passed it without much of a problem. I almost blew off the test altogether and came very close to not showing up on the exam date because I thought I did not have nearly enough preparation. I dont really know how the scoring works in regards to what percent of questions you need to get right in order to pass but I honestly feel like it cant be much more than 50%. So as long as you feel like you can swing a 60% then you should be completely fine. and remember your score really doesnt matter at all as long as you pass, so if you are poor in one area such as math than just forget it and concentrate more on something you are good at. Seriously though, with minimal preparation, most people will pass the PTCE without much difficulty.

You can miss 20 on the exam but out of 100 and something, 20 is not alot.
You must be really smart to go in there and just pass it with only 2 weeks preparation because I worked 3 weeks steady on mine and I had questions that I never heard of and drugs that were not in my book and never heard of and it asked things like routes to medication that wasn't covered. Alot of the questions that I had were things that you wouldn't know if you didn't work in the pharmacy and if you don't have a certificate they won't hire you and if you don't work there, you can't get your certificate. I don't know how you people do it that go in there and just take it without any preparation but I wasn't able to do that. If you have any question you can remember for the rest of us or any hints that will help in the test..... PLEASE throw them out for all of us to see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

76 months ago

Melody...

A CERTIFICATE = A certificate of completion of a course as a Pharmacy Technician. These courses are given by colleges (usually their continuing ed sections) and "professional/technical" schools (like the ones you see advertise on TV). The certificate in no way guarantees you will get a job (I have one now and they still want EXPERIENCE, 6 mo. to a year minimum).

CERTIFICATION = That is when you pass the test you just took. It's a NATIONAL CERTIFICATION. It's good everywhere in the U.S. Many states or pharmacies, hospitals, etc., are beginning to require that Pharmacy Technicians have this in order to be considered for a job (I think that this will be the standard in a few years everywhere). However, it doesn't replace experience. And again, it may be "recognized" by a state but not REQUIRED by a state. Some states don't even recognize the National Certification as their standard yet.

I live in New York City and you'd think in a city of 8 million people with seemingly endless hospitals and retail pharmacies on every corner and other places like insurance companies and mail order pharmacies that it would be easy for me to get a job now that I have a certificate. But it's near impossible. Most aren't even concerned about one having National Certification here, they want you to have EXPERIENCE. A few do state that either a certificate or experience is preferred. But they are the exception.

What books did you use to study? I can tell you what books we used in my class (which was excellent and thorough) but remember, I also had a professor/pharmacist lecturing along with that material 3 1/2 hours twice a week, so she was probably filling in gaps in the books that we need to know for the exam. Again, I don't take the exam until May 30th but having gotten an 82% on my first practice exam without even having studied the top 200 drugs yet I feel good about that. I can tell you what text(s) we used...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

Jethro,
I did check with the state. You do not have to have a certificate in the state of TN to be a pharmacy tech, however they DO recognize the PCTB (for more money) and not the ExCPT. Now, I have run into, you need to be certified. But if I get certified and go back and they say you need experience, I am going to be mad. So where does one get experience if no one will hire you first?
I bought my book through Amazon. It was by Delmar Learnings called Phr Tech Cert Exam Review, and the Am phar tech called Workbook and Certification Review. The latter one did no good without another book to go with it as it didn't explain anything. The first one was so inconsistant in how they worked one problem from the other. What books did you all use in school? And what are you going to do if you can't find someone to hire even WITH a cert.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: Well, I have registered to take the ExCPT exam this friday. I like this exam from the PTCB for 2 main reasons.

1: You can take it once a month, compared to 3 months with PTCB.
2: They are roughly $30+ cheaper then PTCB.

I figure I will do some damage on the test, although, I do not
feel that I may not do enough damage to pass. I am fairly weak
in math. I want to take the test to get some sort of feel for
the online test, so if i do not pass, then i will continue to
study, and hopefully increase my math skills.

There are 110 questions on the test, and 10 do not count, so this
means there are 100 questions, it sorta makes sense it would be
1 point per question, so if you miss 30 questions, then you would
get a 70 which i assume you still would pass, this is if the
grading works in that manner...if it does not, then feel free
to post and correct me. the only thing i need to bring is ID/photo id. They will provide the online calculator, pencil and paper, and you have 2 hours to complete the exam.

I will post again when I pass or fail. :)

VROSE,
DId you check with the state to make sure that they recognize the ExCPT exam. I did in the state of TN and they told me that they DO NOT recognize the ExCPT exam and the only one that they did recognize was the PCTB.
You may want to check that out with the state as I would hate for you to go to all that trouble and finance for a pharmacy to tell you that they don't recognize the one you have. I just wrote the state board and asked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jethro in New York, New York

76 months ago

Melody:

We used the same workbook as you did, "The Pharmacy Technician Workbook & Certification Review (3rd Edition) by APhA. However, we used the text that came with it, which made it a great workbook. Like you said, I can't see using the Workbook alone. The text is "The Pharmacy Technicain" (3rd Edition) by APhA and it is my BIBLE. It's a very good book. And, once you read this book, the workbook makes complete sense. We also used a Pharmacy Calculations book (Pharmacy Calculations, 2nd Edition, by Mary F. Powers & Janet B. Wakelin). I recommend this book only for people who have trouble with math because the whole first half of the book is very BASIC and the pharmacy calculations don't come until the 2nd half of the book. If you're solid on your basic math, get APhA's "Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician" (2nd edition...although I think 3rd edition might be out now). I bought this to review my pharmacy calculations since I did all the problems in the other book and it really only focuses on pharmacy calculations, not all the basic stuff.

As far as a job...well, I'm applying already even if I don't have the National Certification yet. I'm hoping with my Certificate and having worked in health care for 15 years that I'll get a "break" from someone somewhere. Once I get my National Certification (I hope!) I'm thinking that will give me a lot to throw at them to get into somewhere. But it's not going to be easy. Without any direct experience it's going to be hard but I am determined and my professor said someone will hire you, that a certificate and/or National Certification is valued, it's just we are going to have to be that much more determined than everyone who has experience. I don't want to work retail so that cuts out a big area for me already...but once I get a Pharm Tech job I want to stay there, I don't want to keep changing jobs. Plus, up here hospitals pay a LOT more than retail and you get good benefits as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HeinzP in Glendale, Arizona

76 months ago

I scheduled to take the exam on this saturday(5/10). However, at this point top 200 drugs are not in my neurons yet. So I have to postpone the test next wednesday.
Will keep you all informed when I took the test.

Happy study :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

Try to remember some questions and post them for the rest of us.
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mporres in Carrollton, Texas

76 months ago

I'm supposed to be taking the PTCE on monday but on my "ticket" to get in they mispelled my name. is it really going to be a big problem to take my test? also is the test timed?

Thanks for your help...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

I would call them immediately about the spelling of your name because they make that very clear that they want 2 id's with the EXACT name on it. So call immediately. It may be a big problem but may be able to be fixed if you call now.
Yes it is a timed test. 100 questions 1hr and 50 min. I think. That is what I thought that I had although I heard others say 2 hrs. So either way, it is around 2 hrs anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Nashville, Tennessee

76 months ago

For those of you who just took the exam, were the questions similar to what have already been posted? Any other new areas that we should focus on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HeinzP in Glendale, Arizona

76 months ago

Melody in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I would call them immediately about the spelling of your name because they make that very clear that they want 2 id's with the EXACT name on it. So call immediately. It may be a big problem but may be able to be fixed if you call now.
Yes it is a timed test. 100 questions 1hr and 50 min. I think. That is what I thought that I had although I heard others say 2 hrs. So either way, it is around 2 hrs anyway.

I called PTCB to confirm how many questions and what things can I allow to bring in with me. They said and also on their website listed 90 questions. Ten(10) questions not counted for future exam. Test time 2 hours. Two pieces of id, and no calculator. They provided the calculator.
Will let you know when I take the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Grass Valley, California

76 months ago

I heard that the test you take is graded on a curve based on the scores of the group you test with. Is this true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Minneapolis, Minnesota

76 months ago

Hi I am planning to PTCB test soon, could some one tell me what books to buy.
Searched thru the net and got too much information and not able to sort it thru. I have BS in math, so just want a book to get familiar with the pharmacy caluclations, and other books to necessary to complete this exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Galina in Monroe, North Carolina

76 months ago

You are right, there a lot of books on the net. I am preparing for the test as well right now, and I am using this awsome book by Anna M. Curren, Dimensional analysis for Meds. I have the 2nd edition, but there is a 3rd one out there, which I would assume should be better. But its an awsome book, I would greatly suggest it to everyone who needs to get ready for the test. Read some reviews about the book and then decide.
Wish you the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Minneapolis, Minnesota

76 months ago

Galina in Monroe, North Carolina said: You are right, there a lot of books on the net. I am preparing for the test as well right now, and I am using this awsome book by Anna M. Curren, Dimensional analysis for Meds. I have the 2nd edition, but there is a 3rd one out there, which I would assume should be better. But its an awsome book, I would greatly suggest it to everyone who needs to get ready for the test. Read some reviews about the book and then decide.
Wish you the best.

Thanks Galina, appreciate your response. I just read the reviews, feeling confident, I will buy this book, some reviewers say the book has some calculations errors, I am not too worried about those.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

bon in Gainesville, Florida

76 months ago

I went on ebay and purchased all 4 exams from ptcb trainer.. you will have one of them,, so you have to study all.. I have been in pharmacy for about 9 yrs.. now our store is going to require certification..I am 57,, never had to do all of that math stuff lol i do know dosage calculations, but think it is stupid to know the hosp. stuff if you are not going to work in a hospital... I am going to take the Penn Foster Career School program online.. UF wants 3900.00 to take it there just 2 days a week... anyway, if you cant afford to purchase the exams, just email me.

Jethro Craig in New York, New York said: I'm just finishing my certificate course on May 1st and my PTCE is scheduled for the end of May. I'm fully understanding everything as we go along and getting "A's" on my class exams, but I'm afraid that the PTCE questions will be harder, trickier, and focus mostly on calculations and drug names and classes (which has been confirmed and I will now put most of the focus on). But it's hard to know what else to pick out of the 300+ page book we'll be finishing. Potentially, they could ask us ANYTHING in there (it's an APhA book) but who is going to or can memorize and entire 300+ page book? Anyone else reading this who has taken the exam any additional insight would be helpful. I will share as well once I sit for the exam at the end of May.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.