Going to take pharmacy technician exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

rdidit in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

I'm going to take the pharmacy technician test soon and i was wondering if I could get by just studying the top 200 prescribed drugs or do I have to go throught the book and memorize each and every brand name, generic name, interactions, dosages, and the reson they are prescribed for. If I am supposed to know each and every drug what things am i supposed to know about it? Also, is there anything i should watch out for on the test. What is the rest of the test comprised of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (168) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

rdidit in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

I am taking the test without any training or classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Pharmacy Tech Envy in Clovis, California

73 months ago

You need to know Pharmacology for the drugs. Lots of math on the test, but if you're good in algebra, you'll do fine. Read the questions carefully as the answers on the math tests often have to be converted. Know your drug classifications (the generic names). The PTCE is very specific regarding drugs. One thing that you will need to use a lot is the conversion of 1kg=2.2 lbs. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Fairfax, Virginia

73 months ago

Hey,look what I've found!

ptcb-exam.blogspot.com

it's a useful site for those who are palnning/going to take the PTCB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in West Des Moines, Iowa

71 months ago

So can I take the PTCB and get my certs without actually having to pay the high price for the schooling as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

just little me in Oviedo, Florida

71 months ago

I'm studying on my own for the test, and currently work at a specialty pharmacy (2nd one I've worked at).
I'm mainly worried about the math, and have books to study. Where can I find an accurate list of Topp 100-200 drugs online?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado

70 months ago

For those studying on their own or wanting something else to help them, the Tech Lectures Review for the national exam manual/workbook has helped thousands in the passing of the national exam. What makes this manual so good is that it is specific to the national exam and offers free email support from its author who is a nationally recognized Pharmacy Technician educator and Pharmacist.

www.techlectures.com

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Joe Medina, CPhT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

izzyapreal in Citrus Heights, California

64 months ago

How does one go from being a pharm. tech. I to a pharm. tech. II? Is that something that i would more training for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

lrg in Memphis, Tennessee

64 months ago

rdidit in Houston, Texas said: I am taking the test without any training or classes.

i do not recommend that.i am a certified pharmacy technician. i trained at walgreens and it still was not easy when i went to take the prcb, but i passed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lrg in Memphis, Tennessee

64 months ago

Ashley in West Des Moines, Iowa said: So can I take the PTCB and get my certs without actually having to pay the high price for the schooling as well?

yes.i recpmmend that you try to get on at walgreens because they will train you and pay for ptcb test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DB in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

I'M CURRENTLY TAKING CLASSES IS IT WORTH IT WASTING MY MONEY. CUZ A FRIEND WHO IS A PHARMACIST TOLD ME THE CLASSES I WILL BE TAKING IS A WASTE OF TIME, AND ANOTHER FRIEND WHO WORKS AT WAL-GREENS TOLD ME THAT THE TRAIN YOU WHICH IS BETTER CUZ I CANT UNDERSTAND NOTHING MT TEACHER SAYS AND I'M CURRENTLY FAILING AND I JUST STARTED A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. SOMEONE HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

hhart in Milton, Florida

62 months ago

How much does it cost to take the certification exam? Are there different places that offer it at a lower price?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

jik47 in Texarkana, Texas

62 months ago

J.Horne in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: You will need to know way more than the top 200 drugs. There was some advance pharmacy math, Pharmacy law questions,. Do what I did, get on E-bay and type in pharmacy technician and look for the screename PTCBTRAINER. He sales study material and you will pass. He used to work for the PTCB. It cost me aeound $20 but I passed with flying colors. Good Luck!

I looked but coould not find a user with that name, do you know of anyway to contact him as I need some good study material to help me learn the drugs. THANKS...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pharmacist 09 in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

DB in Chicago, Illinois said: I'M CURRENTLY TAKING CLASSES IS IT WORTH IT WASTING MY MONEY. CUZ A FRIEND WHO IS A PHARMACIST TOLD ME THE CLASSES I WILL BE TAKING IS A WASTE OF TIME, AND ANOTHER FRIEND WHO WORKS AT WAL-GREENS TOLD ME THAT THE TRAIN YOU WHICH IS BETTER CUZ I CANT UNDERSTAND NOTHING MT TEACHER SAYS AND I'M CURRENTLY FAILING AND I JUST STARTED A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. SOMEONE HELP

It seems you can not speak English well. Maybe that's why you are failing your classes. I think what your pharmacist friend meant by a waste of time is that the classes are easy, ergo a waste of time. Anyone can take the test without taking the classes, so you do not need to waste money on classes if you can learn the material on your own. If you are failing your classes then you definately would not be one of those people who can just pick up a book and learn the material, foregoing paying for formal classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

How good are you in Math? If you are good in Math then the class will not help much that is if you are good at studying at home by yourself. It takes a lot of self discipline to study at home and not many people can do that. The Math part is pretty confusing so it helped me by having the teacher to help get it down good. On my own I would have been in trouble. So you have to be honest with yourself on can you learn on your own at home without a teacher to assist you; if not stay in the class. Next question is are you good in Algebra, ratios and proportions, setting up word problems because that is all it is and I hate word problems.

So let me know if this answer helps you. Good luck.

Jim K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gregb in Oakland, California

60 months ago

Preparing for my pharmacy technician exam. I need other resources to study with. I purchased atipharmtech.com software, and found it useful but i need a study guide like book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eva in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

Hi All,
If you ever decided to go to the pharmacy technician program that is hold in a school of Los Angeles United School District - think twice.It is a cheap to go in there, but the program is very ,very ...low. It is not even the basic. Big waste of time. The teacher pretend to be the experience one, but knowing the 200 or more drugs is not enough to build the reputation of a experience one.
Lots of mistakes that the teacher make during the lessons irritated me .This school is a huge disappointments to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Los Gatos, California

59 months ago

Eva in Los Angeles, California said: Hi All,
If you ever decided to go to the pharmacy technician program that is hold in a school of Los Angeles United School District - think twice.It is a cheap to go in there, but the program is very ,very ...low. It is not even the basic. Big waste of time. The teacher pretend to be the experience one, but knowing the 200 or more drugs is not enough to build the reputation of a experience one.
Lots of mistakes that the teacher make during the lessons irritated me .This school is a huge disappointments to me.

What is the program's name (is it Boston Reed?). How much did you pay? I am so sorry that it's not what you expected it to be. If you pay the fee, can you get a refund? Will the program help you with externship?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ariel in Greensboro, North Carolina

59 months ago

I couldn't find the guy on ebay, what was the name of the book?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

new orleans user in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

jik47 in Texarkana, Texas said: I looked but coould not find a user with that name, do you know of anyway to contact him as I need some good study material to help me learn the drugs. THANKS...

The best thing to do is get Mosby's review for the pharmacy tech test 2nd ed. Its a really good book and it was online for about 28 dollars brand new.. its includes a CD room with over 600 flash cards and 17 practice exams.. I used it and passed my test.. you only need to know is the math.. conversions a lot of those... schedule II drugs, and laws, common abbreviations, some diabetic meds, main meds, a few antibiotics, and the 20 most common drugs out of the 200.. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kathyhuynh in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

i dont know when i can apply for pharmacy tech exam . I just finished reading some pharmacy tech books. Can you tell me when i can apply. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sbrewerlpn in Covington, Kentucky

58 months ago

What is the cost to take the national pharmacy tech test in Ky?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Hello, J.Horne
I couldn't find the guy on ebay. could you pleas Help me. if you have the book could you sell to me please. fhelenb@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

babygurl9999 in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

Does anyone know how to mainly study for this test will it take alot of time if your not to good in math

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

kathyhuynh in Houston, Texas said: i dont know when i can apply for pharmacy tech exam . I just finished reading some pharmacy tech books. Can you tell me when i can apply. Thank you

You can apply when ever you want to take it now as there is not the waiting period as before. You will be directed to a testing center upon applying.

57 months ago

babygurl9999 in Houston, Texas said: Does anyone know how to mainly study for this test will it take alot of time if your not to good in math

If you are not good in Math you are going to have a hard time with the test to be honest. Do not want to sugar coat for you as you need to be proficient in Math.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chrys in Mississauga, Ontario

56 months ago

I'll be sitting for the Pharmacy Technician Evaluation exam in April(by PEBC) any help from any one who got through this exam.
Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

VRL06 in Santa Monica, California

55 months ago

I want to become a pharmacist tech, I need to know exactly what books to study to past the exam. Where can I find them and how much are they?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rdsalac in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

I am planning to enroll in Evan Commuity Adult School in Pharmacy Tech. course, it is much lower tuition compare to other school. Is it worth it? Doe anyone got from this school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cpht2010 in Joliet, Illinois

54 months ago

VRL06 in Santa Monica, California said: I want to become a pharmacist tech, I need to know exactly what books to study to past the exam. Where can I find them and how much are they?

new pharmacy website with helpful info and ptcb study guide

www.pharmrx.yolasite.com

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cpht2010 in Joliet, Illinois

54 months ago

babygurl9999 in Houston, Texas said: Does anyone know how to mainly study for this test will it take alot of time if your not to good in math

new pharmacy website with helpful info and ptcb study guide

www.pharmrx.yolasite.com

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L. Ohio in Cincinnati, Ohio

51 months ago

rdsalac in Los Angeles, California said: I am planning to enroll in Evan Commuity Adult School in Pharmacy Tech. course, it is much lower tuition compare to other school. Is it worth it? Doe anyone got from this school?

It is a complete waste of time/money to go to any pharmacy tech school. Get study materials, study, and pay to take the test. Anyone not choosing to take this route either likes throwing money away or is incompetent. Also, if you work for Walgreens, etc., you can usually take the test on their dime. Not trying to sound mean, just trying to help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lully in Moosup, Connecticut

51 months ago

DB in Chicago, Illinois said: I'M CURRENTLY TAKING CLASSES IS IT WORTH IT WASTING MY MONEY. CUZ A FRIEND WHO IS A PHARMACIST TOLD ME THE CLASSES I WILL BE TAKING IS A WASTE OF TIME, AND ANOTHER FRIEND WHO WORKS AT WAL-GREENS TOLD ME THAT THE TRAIN YOU WHICH IS BETTER CUZ I CANT UNDERSTAND NOTHING MT TEACHER SAYS AND I'M CURRENTLY FAILING AND I JUST STARTED A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. SOMEONE HELP

I took a class at a local community college and just took the exam and failed! Very little was covered in class that was on the exam

lully in Moosup, Connecticut

51 months ago

Chrys in Mississauga, Ontario said: I'll be sitting for the Pharmacy Technician Evaluation exam in April(by PEBC) any help from any one who got through this exam.
Chris

Lots of calculations/conversions!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cpht in Joliet, Illinois

51 months ago

to start off as a pharmacy technician i think it is very important to take a course..it sure did help me and when i got my job i felt less nervous because i did know what i was doing from my course experience...i felt as i can do this...but for the ptcb exam class, i dont think its neccessary..some people self study as I did..and I passed..if you are planning to take the ptcb exam make any information about pharmacy such as math, brand & generics you come across with and take it into consideration and use it as a tool for the exam...you can visit pharmacy rx by crystal zamudio for ptcb exam guide and much more..good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bency in Atlanta, Georgia

30 months ago

Well, i think they required you to take a trainning class now and its mandatory

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

step1 in Birmingham, Alabama

13 months ago

Hello, I need help any information on pass the PTCB ( exactly the book ,study material, math problems ,etc ....... please I taking the test the last week in Sept.

MyDaughtersMother in Pensacola, Florida

12 months ago

step1 in Birmingham, Alabama said: Hello, I need help any information on pass the PTCB ( exactly the book ,study material, math problems ,etc ....... please I taking the test the last week in Sept.

Step1....
I can tell you that I took a 1 year course, which is required in FL and I think elsewhere but you should check with your Board of Pharmacy in Alabama www.albop.com/.

As far as the testing goes, the PTCB certification test was changed last year, it used to be relatively easy and anyone with common sense could pass it...just about...but it is much more difficult today. I cannot tell you exactly what is on the test as I agreed not to upon taking the test, but I can tell you it is difficult and requires a myriad of knowledge.

I may be mistaken and you should check with your local pharmacy but I believe that you can work as a technician without being certified but you must be registered with the state.
If you are able to register and not take the PTCB just yet it may prove very beneficial to you to work at a pharmacy so that you can gain knowledge first hand prior to taking the exam.

There are a lot of good free tools on the internet for assistance. I used mosby evolve.elsevier.com for extra study guide. You might also try www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/. Also there are apps on your smart phone, quizlet flashcards quizlet.com/help/how-do-i-study-with-flashcard-mode Flash card exchange www.cram.com/search?query=pharmacy+tech&submit=Search&sm=1
google free pharm tech, cpht, ptcb study guides There are practice exams available at the PTCB website as well, they aren't free but probably very useful. The PTCB website will also direct you on the things you need to study. I would also suggest looking on craigslist in BHam for books....there is a listing under books from someone at samford with pharmacology books from their RN course right now.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MyDaughtersMother in Pensacola, Florida

12 months ago

step1 in Birmingham, Alabama said: Hello, I need help any information on pass the PTCB ( exactly the book ,study material, math problems ,etc ....... please I taking the test the last week in Sept.

Forgot to mention as well with regards to the math. I got a lot of help from youtube. Also, I just recently found out about a brilliant man who teaches math online, don't know if he does pharm tech allegations but it's worth a look.

Khans Acadamy.
www.khanacademy.org/

I wish you much success !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.