Hospital Pharmacy Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Tanya in Farmington, New York

75 months ago

I worked at 2 different drug stores as a pharmacy tech when I was in my 20's. Even then and in very good shape, it was exhausting standing for 12 hr. shifts. Now I'm in my 40's and I'm thinking about getting into that field again, but in a hospital. I wanted to ask though if Tech's do as much standing in a hospital as they do in Retail? If I'm moving around doing things, making rounds,etc...then that's actually a good thing. It's just the standing all day without a lot of movement that I feel like I couldn't do again. For any of you that have done both, I would greatly appreciate the major differences between retail and hospital? At that time, we put the orders in the computer, pulled and counted the drugs (pharmacist double checked), and operated the register when customers picked up their prescription. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

imanmansour in Troy, Michigan

75 months ago

i worked as a pharmacy tech CVS pharmacy from eight months ago till now entering all requested perscription information on the computer while drop off.Answering the phone and directing requsts to the pharmacist if needed, Working thedrive thru and signing out medication to their customers.printing prescription while filling them and making them ready for pharmacis verification.Counting the pills according to the prescriptions.seeking for better career technician to utilize my personal experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Aferdita Koka in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

Anti-infectives is an umbrella name under which various types are than
sub classified. Some A-I treat bacteria only [AB] while others treat
viruses only [Antivirals] or fungi only [antifungals]
Treat Bacteria- Penincillines, cephalosporines

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

majid qadir in Bayside, New York

75 months ago

i work i ny presbyterian hospital east 68th they always need pharmacy tech u can go to web site and u can apply online too they always not today may be tom may be next month they always want tech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

majid qadir in Bayside, New York

75 months ago

Again do not worry about job dif they will teach u for least 3 months u can easily catch if u work retail then hospital is nothing good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Royalty P in Waukegan, Illinois

75 months ago

I worked in various pharmacies for the span of 29 years. I enjoy the job but the pay is
not that great, especially when you have several years of experience and committed to the
field of work. I don't like working holidays, weekends and rotating shifts. The money
is more of an insentive to me. I do IV-Admixture/chemotherapy compounding and extemporaneous compounding, troubleshoot enteral/IV infusion pumps, purchasing,training of technician trainee's, deliveries to patient's home, physician's offices, retirement homes etc. Out of 29 years of dedicated service, my pay rate today is only 17.01 per hour. It's sad. If you know of a place that offers more than that please comment back. Some techs are not even close to the rate of pay of a Jewel cashier. I like the salary of the postal mail handlers pay. Give us something in the 20.00/hour and above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

havinfun in Lorain, Ohio

74 months ago

Tanya in Farmington, New York said: I worked at 2 different drug stores as a pharmacy tech when I was in my 20's. Even then and in very good shape, it was exhausting standing for 12 hr. shifts. Now I'm in my 40's and I'm thinking about getting into that field again, but in a hospital. I wanted to ask though if Tech's do as much standing in a hospital as they do in Retail? If I'm moving around doing things, making rounds,etc...then that's actually a good thing. It's just the standing all day without a lot of movement that I feel like I couldn't do again. For any of you that have done both, I would greatly appreciate the major differences between retail and hospital? At that time, we put the orders in the computer, pulled and counted the drugs (pharmacist double checked), and operated the register when customers picked up their prescription. Thank you!

I am in my late 40's and have worked both and currently in the hospital setting. My personal experience is that hospital work is much more demanding than retail. We don't have much time to just stand around as we are constantly moving, delivering rounds, filling patient meds, making IV's, stocking drugs and supplies, refilling large volume items (cases of iv fluids that get restocked on each unit/floor of hospital) that could be pushing large heavy carts from floor to floor. I know for me it sure keeps me active as far as getting a lot of walking in every day and I don't mind it. If our rounds are extremely large than usually the techs will split it so one person doesn't have to deliver the whole thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Bremen, Indiana

74 months ago

I also work in the hospital setting. Starting pay was 10.00/hr. Depending on census of the hospital, it could be an exhausting day. I too like the movement though, but we rotate and sometimes we have to stand in one spot for 4-5 hours filling prescriptions for half a day. But for a 40ish woman who was a stay at home mom for 14 years, this wasn't a bad thing for me. (the job) After 6 months of training I was considered licensed and certified and this save me from having to pay for college courses for the same license.
Good job, would be nice to make a little more money, but everyone could use that right now I guess. Good Luck
Angie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SADRIKA in Jefferson, Georgia

74 months ago

I WILL BE STARTING THE PHARMACY TECH PROGRAM IN A MONTH CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH MORE DOES A PHARMACY TECH III MAKES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dede

73 months ago

I work at St. Joseph's Hospital in Jersey and fyi there is still much standing, but you are out and about, making rounds every hour, unit-dosing meds, running stats to units, etc... It's def nothing like the retail pharmacy... much more fun. : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

72 months ago

I am very interested in taking the Pharmacy Tech course. I would like to work in a hospital. If I take the Pharmacy Tech-Retail course does that mean that I cannot work in a hospital? Will I not have enough education?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

robss in Seattle, Washington

68 months ago

SADRIKA in Jefferson, Georgia said: I WILL BE STARTING THE PHARMACY TECH PROGRAM IN A MONTH CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW MUCH MORE DOES A PHARMACY TECH III MAKES.

It will depend upon your location.
You may get some related info. by location from the Bureau of Labor website. You will see you can cross-reference your location (from census info.) and the Ph. Tech. occupation. Should be good up to about 2007.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

robss in Seattle, Washington

68 months ago

Royalty P in Waukegan, Illinois said: I worked in various pharmacies for the span of 29 years. I enjoy the job but the pay ...

You have way too much experience and skills vs. pay!!
Is the corporate HQ of Walgreens not around your locale? Have you thought about working for them? Sounds like you could do training, cont. ed., supervise, etc. God bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MorningGlory in Media, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Hi I'm am also in pharmacy tech school. And now I'm looking for interning. But I'm not sure if I should do retail or hospital. But I am more interested in hospital work based on the fact that I like to learn different things and like to move around. I live in pa and doing a alot of researching but not getting enough info. And who pays more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

KiKi in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

Tanya in Farmington, New York said: I worked at 2 different drug stores as a pharmacy tech when I was in my 20's. Even then and in very good shape, it was exhausting standing for 12 hr. shifts. Now I'm in my 40's and I'm thinking about getting into that field again, but in a hospital. I wanted to ask though if Tech's do as much standing in a hospital as they do in Retail? If I'm moving around doing things, making rounds,etc...then that's actually a good thing. It's just the standing all day without a lot of movement that I feel like I couldn't do again. For any of you that have done both, I would greatly appreciate the major differences between retail and hospital? At that time, we put the orders in the computer, pulled and counted the drugs (pharmacist double checked), and operated the register when customers picked up their prescription. Thank you!

In order to work as pharmacy tech in a hospital pharmacy, you have to pass a special I.V. exam. You can't just apply there and expect them to call you for an interview without either the experience or the I.V. certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

desilina in Aston, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

ok, thank you very much kiki for the info. but i meant that i was looking for interning in a hospital environment. and im glad you mentioned the i.v cert because i recently found an online course for that. but im still in school. do you think i should do that right now or should i wait to be certified as a pharm tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KiKi in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

desilina in Aston, Pennsylvania said: ok, thank you very much kiki for the info. but i meant that i was looking for interning in a hospital environment. and im glad you mentioned the i.v cert because i recently found an online course for that. but im still in school. do you think i should do that right now or should i wait to be certified as a pharm tech?

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that you were already certified as a pharmacy tech. You should receive your pharmacy tech certification first (PTCB Certification), then enroll in the I.V. certification program after receiving your PTCB certification.

I enrolled in a Pharmacy Technology program at a community college. The first semester focused on retail pharmacy setting., the second semester focused on hospital pharmacy setting. During the second semester, there was an I.V. aseptic technique program integrated into the Pharmacy Tech program where we could take the I.V. exam without having to pay the $400 that it would've costed us to take it. So that made it even easier for us. And I interned at a hospital pharmacy for one month at the end of the semester. The internship is part of the program.

I took the I.V. exam about a month after becoming PTCB certified. The only problem here in Houston is that it's a bit difficult to get into a hospital pharmacy without any hospital experience...even if you have the I.V. certification. Most hospitals want people who have either interned at the hospital that they are applying for, or people who already have hospital experience.

Months ago, I received an Associate of Applied Science degree in Pharmacy Technology, I have PTCB and I.V. certification, but I STILL haven't been employed by a hospital yet. I had an interview in mid-January, but I haven't been called back. It's difficult but I'm being patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KiKi in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

MorningGlory in Media, Pennsylvania said: Hi I'm am also in pharmacy tech school. And now I'm looking for interning. But I'm not sure if I should do retail or hospital. But I am more interested in hospital work based on the fact that I like to learn different things and like to move around. I live in pa and doing a alot of researching but not getting enough info. And who pays more?

Hospital pharmacies pay more. I'm pretty sure you aware that you have to take a special I.V. certification exam in order to work in a hospital pharmacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tinkmama in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

Royalty P in Waukegan, Illinois said: I worked in various pharmacies for the span of 29 years. I enjoy the job but the pay is
not that great, especially when you have several years of experience and committed to the
field of work. I don't like working holidays, weekends and rotating shifts. The money
is more of an insentive to me. I do IV-Admixture/chemotherapy compounding and extemporaneous compounding, troubleshoot enteral/IV infusion pumps, purchasing,training of technician trainee's, deliveries to patient's home, physician's offices, retirement homes etc. Out of 29 years of dedicated service, my pay rate today is only 17.01 per hour. It's sad. If you know of a place that offers more than that please comment back. Some techs are not even close to the rate of pay of a Jewel cashier. I like the salary of the postal mail handlers pay. Give us something in the 20.00/hour and above.

Hav you ever thought of going back to scholl to be a pharmacist? I don't believe you will make much more than what you are already making without pursuing a higher degree. You definetley have the experience and I agree you don't get paid enough, but you are making a high payrate for pt at the moment. Why did you stay so long...maybe you should have gone back to school like when you made your 5th-10th year...how much more of a pay raise do you expect..that's why this field only requires a diploma not a degree. If you needed and associate, bachelors, or masters you would be paid what you are worth. You should still look into pursuing a degree instead of hoping your employers will acknowledge your skills and give you a $15-20 raise. Not gonna happen in retail in this field unless you pursue a higher degree such as pharmacist or business, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Magdaf in Frisco, Texas

57 months ago

Can someone advice me what is the best way to get certifaication of pharnacy tech? i would love to study at home , using books. then take the exam. i do not know if it is possible? what books are good to study from , websites, any good forums? any information for me will be very helpful. i live in texas, dallas. the location might matter when you have to take the exam i think. what offices do the examination?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tjaytanna

57 months ago

you can get pharmacy tech certificate without going to school. start reading pharmacy technician book which is available in library. study at home and you can take exam. go to www.ptcb.org Best of Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

majid in Bayside, New York

56 months ago

sure i can give u information about hiring process . No they only hiring certified tech if u are certified than hang on a sometime they will contract u bc they are bog set up.
if u are not certified (WWW.PTCB.ORG) u can get certified after passing a test

i hope it helps u
best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

telly2589 in Killeen, Texas

52 months ago

Is it worth getting an Associate of arts with concentration in health care administration/pharmacy practice?
I was debating to either get registered in the state of texas and have them train me for a small amount so i can be prepared to take the ptcb and I will have my experience or University of phoenix offers an associates degree in health care management/pharmacy practice. I wanted to know it that degree benefited a pharmacy tech at all as far as hiring and high salary. Im pretty sure with the degree i would still have to take the exam through ptcb but I wanted to know if that degree would help me or if pharmacies even consider it because it is an online school. I just need some feedback from people who have this degree or if it is pointless to waste my time getting the degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul n in Plano, Texas

46 months ago

sorry

Paul n in Plano, Texas

46 months ago

Please cansell the comment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

icelily20 in North Brunswick, New Jersey

38 months ago

majid in Bayside, New York said: sure i can give u information about hiring process . No they only hiring certified tech if u are certified than hang on a sometime they will contract u bc they are bog set up.
if u are not certified ( WWW.PTCB.ORG ) u can get certified after passing a test

i hope it helps u
best of luck

Does nyp take new pharmacy techs or do you need to have retail experience?

icelily20 in North Brunswick, New Jersey

38 months ago

majid in Bayside, New York said: sure i can give u information about hiring process . No they only hiring certified tech if u are certified than hang on a sometime they will contract u bc they are bog set up.
if u are not certified ( WWW.PTCB.ORG ) u can get certified after passing a test

i hope it helps u
best of luck

Does nyp hire new pharmacy techs, with no experience.

lenchik in Atlanta, Georgia

37 months ago

Maybe it is time to apply to the pharmacy school? consider pharmacist profession as a promotion :)

wondering in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan

33 months ago

Kerri in Melville, Saskatchewan said: From what I understand, you would have to take the full pharmacy tech course from somewhere like SIAST to work in a hospital (also need to take from a recognized institute if you want to become registered when the legislation eventually comes thru). I took mine through Red Deer College (online/home study) and now can work in a hospital. You could check the course descriptions, too, and see what's mentioned about hospital pharmacy. www.rdc.ab.ca for Red Deer College. They were great! Hope that helps!

hi, you took the whole Pharmacy Tech course online? i'm nowhere near a college that offers this course and it's definitly something i would do. Moving is not that simple as i have 3 children (2 step children) under 4. anyway how did the online course work for you? and was there any hassel as to getting certified and finding work after completing it? any problems with it if any? thank you your reply would be most helpful. =]

Minh in Oakland, California

28 months ago

Tanya in Farmington, New York said: I worked at 2 different drug stores as a pharmacy tech when I was in my 20's. Even then and in very good shape, it was exhausting standing for 12 hr . shifts. Now I'm in my 40's and I'm thinking about getting into that field again, but in a hospital . I wanted to ask though if Tech's do as much standing in a hospital as they do in Retail? If I'm moving around doing things, making rounds,etc...then that's actually a good thing. It's just the standing all day without a lot of movement that I feel like I couldn't do again. For any of you that have done both, I would greatly appreciate the major differences between retail and hospital? At that time, we put the orders in the computer , pulled and counted the drugs (pharmacist double checked), and operated the register when customers picked up their prescription. Thank you!

Can a pharmacy technician work only on weekends? I want to find a part-time job on weekends. I guess two 12-hours shifts are not too bad for me.

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

23 months ago

tjaytanna said: you can get pharmacy tech certificate without going to school. start reading pharmacy technician book which is available in library . study at home and you can take exam. go to www.ptcb.org Best of Luck.

Yes but now some place ask for formal training school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.