Pharmacy Tech at Walmart

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

soosbee in Port Henry, New York

46 months ago

I worked as a Pharmacy Tech in New York State and we did not even need any kind of certification. I could not believe we were able to do the work we did, and not have any kind of formal training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LetMeTrainYou in Hempstead, New York

40 months ago

Anyone who would like to become a Pharmacy Technician in New York must attend and graduate from a school that is licensed by the NYS Education Department. Access Careers located at four seventy four Fulton Avenue, Hempstead, NY one one five five zero is Medical Training School that has been established since 1998. We run an excellent Pharmacy Tech Program and have several class schedules to accommodate our students. Upon completion of the program, our students are encouraged to sit for the Pharmacy Technician Certification (CPhT) exam which is administered through the ExCPT (Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians). We are conveniently located in Long Island and are accessible to both residents of Queens County, Nassau County and Suffolk County. If you need more information you can contact us at five one six four three three zero zero three four or visit or website at www.accesscareers.net

Piper in Davis, California

31 months ago

New York is one of the states that seems to require a license for EVERYTHING. They even have a Teacher's Assistant License; whereas a bachelor's degree alone would qualify you for jobs elsewhere, in New York you'd have to sit for some kind of Licensing Exam before you could legally be employed as [whatever]. If you had a job of any kind without the proper license for that job, it was because you "knew somebody." Period.

Kimmysaurus in Macungie, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Okay, so DO you have to be registered/licensed as a pharmacy technician in order to work in NY state? This is a simple yes/no question, and I swear, NO ONE can answer this. There's not even any info on the NY State Board of Pharmacy webpage! I currently live and work in PA, where registration is not required, and will be moving to NY in the near future (hopefully. I have to find a job there first, which is apparently impossible) so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. I've been PTCB certified since 2006, I think, since I'm coming up on my third renewal and have been working full-time in the same pharmacy since 2005 (off and on during college since I was 16, full-time since '05). I NEVER took any formal schooling before doing the PTCB exam, it was a combination of studying and on-the-job training.

So if I understand this right, now when I move to NY I will have to do formal schooling? With the end result being a certification I've already got and have had for years? Doesn't NY have some kind of provision for this type of situation? Why should anyone be expected to spend money learning things they already know in order to get a certification they've already got, in order to do a job they can already perform? That sounds so limiting and backwards to me.

So if someone can please give me a straight answer, I would truly appreciate it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.