Pharmacy tech school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Lisa in Brandon, Florida

62 months ago

I have been looking into Pharmacy Tech school and all I'm finding are 9-11 month courses that cost like 10.000-12.000 dollars. I live in Tampa,fl and want to know if this is the only way to get in this profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Copycat2 in New York

62 months ago

goto your local pharmacy and see if they are hiring. You do not need to take an actual course in order to obtain an pt.c. buy a Pharmacy Technician workbook and study study study. If you are able to get a job as a technician it is helpful for when you are getting ready to take the test. Putting into practice what you are studying is always the best way to actually learn something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Brandon, Florida

62 months ago

Thanks for the advice. Do you know what the pay starts at. Also I found a school that is one week and 400.00 and gets you ready for the test.

Sid in West Palm Beach, Florida

62 months ago

You don't need a course. Just start working. You are going to get stuck at the register for like a month (WHICH REALLY SUCKS) but you are getting paid, and gradually the pharmacists will let you start helping out and then you can transition to becoming a pharmacy tech. At the pharmacy where I worked at, pay starts at around $10.

Lisa in Brandon, Florida

62 months ago

Thanks for your advice. I am also looking into a Diagnostic sonogram class. Any pointers on this field. I'm trying to get into a new field by retraining. How hard is this class ?

Tracy in Denver, Colorado

62 months ago

Stay away from those for-profit "colleges"!!!!!!!!!!!! Run away as fast as you can when a recruiter tries to fill your head with false promises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For profits are the ones that offer degrees in 8-12 months for $13,000.

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts

62 months ago

Tracy in Denver, Colorado said: Stay away from those for-profit "colleges"!!!!!!!!!!!! Run away as fast as you can when a recruiter tries to fill your head with false promises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For profits are the ones that offer degrees in 8-12 months for $13,000.

ROFL Very funny but true

Lisa in Brandon, Florida

62 months ago

The comunity college needs credits in gen ed classes that I don't have. I talked to Stanford Brown. They say their pharmacy tech class puts you in hospitals mixing IV bags and and such and pharmacutical companys.

Lisa in Brandon, Florida

62 months ago

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts said: ROFL Very funny but true

I need to know what is wrong with the for profit schools.I'm serious.

62 months ago

For profit means you will end up with a large loan to payback which is debt. Keep in mind you are not guaranteed a job when you finish the program. Also, those classes you take at the for profit schools in most cases the courses are not transferable to a community college or university.

Nevertheless, most states do not require a formal education to become a pharmacy technician. Why take out a huge expensive loan at a for profit school? As soon as you leave the program the following month the lender will be looking for payback immediately. Guess what in most cases I guarantee you that you wont have an immediate job, after you finish the for profit training program.

That’s why it’s bogus. You are better off spending your money on a 2 year associate degree program in Chemistry, Biology or some other science major if you are looking to attend pharmacy school. This way the courses are transferable when you decide to continue your education.

To become a certified pharmacy technician you don’t need to attend a formal school. All you need to do is pass the certified pharmacy technician exam at www.ptcb.com.

Once you pass the exam you then fill out the papers to register with your state (if all credentials/requirements are met you should receive a license to practice in the state). Did you check the Board of Pharmacy in Florida to find out what the requirements are to become a pharmacy technician?

62 months ago

I found this for aspiring pharmacy technicians in the sunshine state.
www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/index.html

Beginning January 1, 2010, all individuals working as a pharmacy technician in the State of Florida must be registered with the Florida Board of Pharmacy. The Board is in the process of developing the application and rules to govern this process. Please continue to check the website for updated information.

Seriously before you sign that contract and take out that loan for that for profit school. Do your research at your State Board of Pharmacy. I live in Boston, MA and the state requirement for pharmacy technicians varies from state to state.

Keep in mind when you sign up for one of those for profit schools they make you sign a contract and take out a huge loan. Also, this is a very difficult economy for job seekers. Moreover, there’s no guarantee of a job once you complete the program. If you want the experience as a pharmacy technician you can volunteer at a local Florida hospital.

Another option is to apply as a pharmacy associate in a retail chain pharmacy such as Walgreen’s, Eckerd’s, etc. I used to live in Tampa, Florida many years ago so I don’t know if Eckerd’s even exists anymore in Florida, due to all the corporate acquisitions and mergers.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Lisa in Brandon, Florida said: The comunity college needs credits in gen ed classes that I don't have. I talked to Stanford Brown. They say their pharmacy tech class puts you in hospitals mixing IV bags and and such and pharmacutical companys.

I am assuming you have a high school diploma or GED in most cases that’s all you need to attend a community college.

Lisa in Brandon, Florida

62 months ago

I'm going to take your advice and see about volunteering at a hospital. I do have a GED but I'm 49yrs old and its hard to start a new career but I want to. Thats why I have been wondering about school.

brown_dude34 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

62 months ago

I really don’t want to see you waste 1 – 2 years of your life volunteering in order to gain the experience as a pharmacy technician. I think the way they have this career field setup is so bogus. People need money to live and volunteering or working a crummy retail pharmacy associate position( too much stress and aggravation dealing with the sick general public) in most cases part-time( 25hrs or less with crummy benefits ) is the only way to gain experience in this career field because it’s so hard even for certified and registered pharmacy technicians to get hired. Without experience.

Look at the wages of a pharmacy technician. I would recommend an alternate career such as a Lab technician, or a Cardiac sonographer. They make better money. After 1 -2 years the job as a pharmacy technician becomes repetitive and dull along with the low starting pay of $10.00 - $13.00 an hour.

The journey to becoming a pharmacy technician might seem disappointing at the end of the tunnel when you complete your journey. I know for me it was and I am a certified/registered pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts.

brown_dude34 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

62 months ago

The following list of occupations presents careers which are in demand in the healthcare industry but lack qualified individuals. Look at the salary of an entry level pharmacy technician and before you spend money on a 4 – 11 month course as a pharmacy technician. Compare the starting salary to the following careers listed below.

Some require at least a 2 -4 year commitment of your time.

Physician assistant
Two-year training program, and at least two years of college; license exam
Salary: $82,000
* Nurse practitioner
Master's degree in nursing
Salary: $74,000
* Cardiac sonographer
Two-year associate's degree, or 1-year certificate in diagnostic sonography
Salary: $56,000
* Laboratory technician
Bachelor's degree with coursework in chemistry, biology, and statistics; state certification and license
Salary: $51,000
According to the American Society for Clinical Pathology, half of all laboratories in the U.S. struggle to hire qualified laboratory technicians. Lack of awareness of the laboratory profession is a key factor in the shortage of applicants for these "under the radar" jobs.

IV technician in North Grafton, Massachusetts

62 months ago

Read this article on How Pharmacy technicians make more money :

URL : www.socyberty.com/Work/How-Pharmacy-Technicians-Make-More-Money.780387

Also web address to IV techinician training.
Url : nepharmacytechcompoundinginstitute.club.officelive.com/class.aspx

Hope its helpful, best of luck and regards.

Lisa in Riverview, Florida

62 months ago

Thanks for all your input. I have decided not to go to pharmacy tech school but CNA school through the red cross and eventually open my own agency. I signed up for free business classes through the SBA snd have owned and ran my own business before. Once again thanks for making me really do my homework.
LISA

L Thomas in Schererville, Indiana

61 months ago

I would like to go back to school to become Sonographer Tech, I am not sure how to do this, nor can I find a school that will offer this in the Chicagoland or NWIndiana area. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Also I have never been to college...will this hinder me?

Sandy in Phoenix, Arizona

59 months ago

For a more affordable option to a 12K Pharmacy Technician program...check www.crimsoninstitute.com...this program can be completed in a relatively quick and is very affordable.

Michele in San Jose, California

59 months ago

Lisa in Brandon, Florida said: I have been looking into Pharmacy Tech school and all I'm finding are 9-11 month courses that cost like 10.000-12.000 dollars. I live in Tampa,fl and want to know if this is the only way to get in this profession.

I believe your best bet is to check into your jr colleges and/or see if you can attempt to study, take, and pass the PTCB without going to school. I regret going to a Tech School in CA - By the time I finish paying off my loan it will be 17K and the industry does not may by less than twice as much!

Sandy in Phoenix, Arizona

59 months ago

My daughter is doing a pharmacy tech program now that she is able to do online at her own pace. And It only cost her $220.00. This includes books. They say the course will prepare her for the PTCB test. check it out. www.crimsoninstitute.com

Eternity Pharm tech instructor in Pompano Beach, Florida

58 months ago

Peen Foster College .com for lest than 800.00 for the course that how I did it. now Im an instructor.

melanie6613 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Check out your local community college. Most of them teach this curriculum thru Workforce Development which is a Federal program for displaced workers. It may run between $600.00 to 2,000.00 but it's better than the trade school prices and you will learn the theory and have to go to a pharmacy to do the rest. They will help you study for the certification test as well.

Think it over.

John, PhD in Phoenix, Arizona

58 months ago

Your local community will cost 900.00 and up plus books and material and will take up to 6 months to complete. At Crimson Institute you take the course at your own pace in the comfort of your own home. And you can finish in less then 12 weeks. And it only cost 220.00 and that price includes books and material. And they prep you for the PTCB test. This course was put together by a pharmacist and was an instructor who taught this course at a community college. Check it out for yourself at www.crimsoninstitute.com

Paige in Davis, California

30 months ago

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts said:

That’s why it’s bogus. You are better off spending your money on a 2 year associate degree program in Chemistry, Biology or some other science major if you are looking to attend pharmacy school. This way the courses are transferable when you decide to continue your education.

To become a certified pharmacy technician you don’t need to attend a formal school. All you need to do is pass the certified pharmacy technician exam at www.ptcb.com .

Once you pass the exam you then fill out the papers to register with your state (if all credentials/requirements are met you should receive a license to practice in the state). Did you check the Board of Pharmacy in Florida to find out what the requirements are to become a pharmacy technician?

And yet a whole Bachelor's of Science seems to be OVERKILL.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.