Questions Regarding the PTCB Exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

XZM2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

I am currently studying for my PTCB Exam and I'm pretty much done with everything other than learning the "Top 200 Drugs". I'm having a hard time memorizing every drug. I was wondering, What did your exam mainly consist of? I've heard moth of the questions had to do with Pharmacy Math, Some Laws, and More of helping the Pharmacist. I feel like I'm ready(Aside from the top drugs). I am learning everything on my own. I was given a book that my friend got before he passed his exam. But Yes, I'm just wondering what the text had the most of. Thank you everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

recode in San Francisco, California

12 months ago

There are a few different versions of the test. My friend had one that had a lot of math questions, I had more drug questions, actually hardly any math for me. If you are having a hard time memorizing the drugs, just try to know the different categories there are and the drugs that belong to them. There is a list of drug names/suffixes on pharmacy-tech-study.com that should help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

XZM2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

recode in San Francisco, California said: There are a few different versions of the test. My friend had one that had a lot of math questions, I had more drug questions, actually hardly any math for me. If you are having a hard time memorizing the drugs, just try to know the different categories there are and the drugs that belong to them. There is a list of drug names/suffixes on pharmacy-tech-study.com that should help.

Thank you for that. I just scheduled my exam for the 18th of July. I'm getting nervous. I've heard there is more math more than anything. Like converting a patients weight from mg to mL. So when it comes to drugs, are you talking about learning like -olol meaning a beta blocker and such like that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. JP in Fort Worth, Texas

12 months ago

Hello, it's nice to see recent post since a lot seem to be from 2008-09. I'm also registered to take my ptce July 3rd I must admit I'm also a lil nervous. I graduated from a pharmacy tech program in 05 have some experience in retail, long term care and inpatient pharmacy. Over the past few years Been mostly working in the insurance field processing prior authorizations for surgeries and medications In Oregon. I now Live in Dallas and need to get my certification to register in Texas. I'm not too worried about the brand generics from recent post doesn't seem to be a big impact on score. Math seems to be most important. I'm refreshing on conversions and as a side note its patients weight kg to lbs. Not mg to ML but I would look into Iv flow rates (mg/min) which may be important. I'm also studying metric/apothecary/household conversion. Learn parts of a syringe. Aseptic technique, different routes of administration. Class schedules and yea the class stems like olol should really help you figure out what their uses are for. Would really look into insulin and different types ect. Refrigeration temps for chemo drugs. What Meds shouldn't be handled by pregnant woman. Types of forms used to dispose of co.trolled subtances. (Form 222 for c1and 2's and 41 for c3-5) different laws passed over the years. Ofcourse governing authorties dea/fda and their roles. How to read a valid dea # ndc # shelf lifes of Meds what can be refilled. How long scrips are valid ect. This is just an idea of what I'm studying hope it helps Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

XZM2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

Mr. JP in Fort Worth, Texas said: Hello, it's nice to see recent post since a lot seem to be from 2008-09. I'm also registered to take my ptce July 3rd I must admit I'm also a lil nervous. I graduated from a pharmacy tech program in 05 have some experience in retail, long term care and inpatient pharmacy. Over the past few years Been mostly working in the insurance field processing prior authorizations for surgeries and medications In Oregon. I now Live in Dallas and need to get my certification to register in Texas. I'm not too worried about the brand generics from recent post doesn't seem to be a big impact on score. Math seems to be most important. I'm refreshing on conversions and as a side note its patients weight kg to lbs. Not mg to ML but I would look into Iv flow rates (mg/min) which may be important. I'm also studying metric/apothecary/household conversion. Learn parts of a syringe. Aseptic technique, different routes of administration. Class schedules and yea the class stems like olol should really help you figure out what their uses are for. Would really look into insulin and different types ect. Refrigeration temps for chemo drugs. What Meds shouldn't be handled by pregnant woman. Types of forms used to dispose of co.trolled subtances. (Form 222 for c1and 2's and 41 for c3-5) different laws passed over the years.

Thank you sooooo much for that information. I will most be reviewing all that information again to make sure I have everything down packed. I wish you the best on your exam. From what you just said, I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about. I'm sure the text will be different. Given you are taking your exam in another state and o a different time. But I would very much appreciate if you would take the time to let me know what was most on your exam after you take it. Thank you very much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gaby in Miami, Florida

7 months ago

I took the test today and I passed it. After I took the exam, the preliminary result is pass but then I wanna know, in what case might it change by the time i get the official Pass/Fail?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel P in Franklinton, Louisiana

5 months ago

Gaby in Miami, Florida said: I took the test today and I passed it. After I took the exam, the preliminary result is pass but then I wanna know, in what case might it change by the time i get the official Pass/Fail?

did you take the new test that just came out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NC_Pharm_Tech in Charlotte, North Carolina

5 months ago

XZM2011 in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I am currently studying for my PTCB Exam and I'm pretty much done with everything other than learning the "Top 200 Drugs". I'm having a hard time memorizing every drug. I was wondering, What did your exam mainly consist of? I've heard moth of the questions had to do with Pharmacy Math, Some Laws, and More of helping the Pharmacist. I feel like I'm ready(Aside from the top drugs). I am learning everything on my own. I was given a book that my friend got before he passed his exam. But Yes, I'm just wondering what the text had the most of. Thank you everyone.

XZM, I'm in Charlotte also, and if you can get the drugs memorized, you'll at least do well on those questions. In real world applications, it's not 100% necessary; you can fake it 'til you make it most of the time.
I had to learn a bunch of laws, which I've never had to use that knowledge on the job.
Calculations/conversions you will use.

If you haven't taken your exam yet, good luck. I know I didn't give you a lot but I hope I was helpful at least a little bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PTCBEASY in San Francsico, California

2 days ago

If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that
extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy
to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs
to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a
school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the
right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard
sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand.
I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt!

Please email me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com
or visit www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.