Rite Aid Pharmacy Tech and what is the deal with breaks?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

tigerkr1 in Upper Sandusky, Ohio

49 months ago

I just spent 2 years in college, graduated with my Pharmacy Tech training. Then went in June of and took my boards, passed them. I got hired in at Rite Aid as a Pharmacy Technician. Yet starting pay is $9.25 per hour. They say that after I pass their training for certification that it will go up to $10.00. It doesn't make sense that I pass the National Certification which is now required in Ohio. Yet, it's not good enough? All this money spent on college for what? A measly $9.25 per hour!! And now I ask about breaks, and I am told there are none!!! But the rest of the store is allowed to get breaks? Just not the pharmacy technicians? Anyone else experienced anything like this? I have a medical condition and physically I don't know if I will be able to stand for 8 hours straight without a break. And I am told that if I want to eat, then bring the food and eat while working? And I still don't know about the benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

recentgrad88 in York, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

I work for Rite Aid as a Pharmacy Technician. Firstly, you don't need to go to college or school to become a pharmacy technician anywhere. Most of the time, if a store is hiring and there is an opening in the pharmacy, they'll put the person there, even if they're not certified. Being nationally certified is required in some states but not all. Secondly, Rite Aid does not recognize the National Pharmacy Tech Certification, so you definitely should consider looking for a job at a Walgreens or CVS, where I believe they recognize the national certification and will pay you more for it. Rite Aid will give you a pay raise if you complete their tech training course, which I believe is 8 classes long and requires passing an exam (which will be incredibly easy for you if you went through two years of pharmacy tech courses). It sounds to me as if you were misinformed when you started school or did not thoroughly research the pharmacy technician profession. Most people don't even take coursework to study for the PTCB exam. They just buy a study guide and study on their own. And on-the-job experience is more important than certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

recentgrad88 in York, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Also, by law they have to give you a break if you work more than 5 hours (although that may be a Pennsylvania law) but it is more customary in pharmacies, since there tends to be downtime (depending on how busy your store is), for pharmacists and pharmacy techs to eat in the pharmacy as they work, which I like, since I can stay energized throughout the day without having to clock out and sacrifice 1/2 hour's pay to take a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lenora in Curwensville, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

tigerkr1 in Upper Sandusky, Ohio said: I just spent 2 years in college, graduated with my Pharmacy Tech training. Then went in June of and took my boards, passed them. I got hired in at Rite Aid as a Pharmacy Technician. Yet starting pay is $9.25 per hour. They say that after I pass their training for certification that it will go up to $10.00. It doesn't make sense that I pass the National Certification which is now required in Ohio. Yet, it's not good enough? All this money spent on college for what? A measly $9.25 per hour!! And now I ask about breaks, and I am told there are none!!! But the rest of the store is allowed to get breaks? Just not the pharmacy technicians? Anyone else experienced anything like this? I have a medical condition and physically I don't know if I will be able to stand for 8 hours straight without a break. And I am told that if I want to eat, then bring the food and eat while working? And I still don't know about the benefits.

I also work at rite aid in PA and have 1 year of eduaction and have national certification I started at 8.50 little over a year ago was told after i passed their cert. it would go up. Well I got a .17 cent year raise and was told I was payed more from the start so I was not able to get anymore. We are told not to eat in the pharmacy and we have to take lunch but on busy days we may not get a lunch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sl33pnBeauT in Columbia, South Carolina

47 months ago

I am thinking of becoming a pharmacy Tech but I am confused. Should I wait to get into the LPN program or the Surgical Tech program, which ever takes me first, or do I go ahead with this pharmacy tech thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PhillipFry in Seattle, Washington

47 months ago

No breaks, no lunches. Get used to it. :) If you ever wanted to go on a diet here's your chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

superspytech in Trenton, Michigan

43 months ago

if your store is union u can file a grevience, otherwise u need to talk to your store manager and tell them the pharmacy manager isnt doing their job. you are supposed to have a 10 minute break every 2 hours and 30 minute lunch every 4, breaks depending on how long ur shift is. if you're there for a total of 4 hours, you aren't going to get a 10 min, plus a lunch break then go home. in michigan they used to autmatically deduct 30 mins of pay out of ur check for lunch, but they stopped that about 2 years ago at rite aid. so basically if u want to eat, u gotta complain to your store manager. trust me, pharmacy managers only care about themselves, as i know, ive been a tach for 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

techinoc in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

PhillipFry in Seattle, Washington said: No breaks, no lunches. Get used to it. :) If you ever wanted to go on a diet here's your chance.

Just left Rite Aid after nearly 25 years and have tremendous peace about it. No more verbal/mental abuse from pharmacists.I gave up on Rite Aid years ago, now my new position at a desk will get my all!!! Good Luck and God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tired of the abuse in Mobile, Alabama

34 months ago

techinoc in Los Angeles, California said: Just left Rite Aid after nearly 25 years and have tremendous peace about it. No more verbal/mental abuse from pharmacists.I gave up on Rite Aid years ago, now my new position at a desk will get my all!!! Good Luck and God Bless.

The technicians are expected to type the prescription, count the medicine, label the medicine and then ring up the customer...oh I forgot you are expected to collect the info from the patient and you pretty much run the pharmacy for little of nothing money.The pay is not high enough for the work. The pharmacists need to learn how to talk to their fellow co worker because it's not their pharmacy and they don't sign our checks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.