Started Pharmacy Tech (foreign student)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

JJ Yang in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

Hi everyone my name is Jimmy, Im 20 and foreign student, I just waste almost 2 years at CCSF try to get AA degree...until I find this new college (Heald College), I pay almost the same fees that CCSF but in Heald College they said that you can give me Degree and Certificate in 18 months.. that is less 2 years, and that is pretty amazing Im come from mid-low family and I dont really expect alot of good just enougth to support my mon and myself

I have some question about this field

1.-Is very hard to find job as Foreign?

2.-I read in the forum many people complaining about how stressfull can be working at (cvs or wallgreens) but is here only on SF or all Pharmacy tech have 2 hours of lunch time! yesterday I just went to pick up my granpas medicin at wallgreens and the guy say "Oh okay come back in 2 hours ower lunch time is in 10 minutes" and I was waiting there for 2 hours!!! (sorry everyone if Im out of topic LOL)

3.-What is the different bettwen get Degree in Pharmacy tech and just go and get train at wallgreen or cvs?

4.-Is the Degree really helps you to find job?

5.-Any tips to survive in the classes ?,to be honest Im pretty but at math and science but I have pretty good memory I guess...

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays

JJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JJ Yang in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

Someone please help ? at lease opinion ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Emiloo in California

51 months ago

Hi Jimmy! :)

For your first question, I can't really tell you whether you being a foreigner will make it harder for you to find jobs.

1.) In general, it is hard to find a Pharmacy Technician job. (I've applied to 15 jobs so far, and have had no luck. Haha)

You may have an advantage over other people, though. Since you speak another language, that can be advantageous in community pharmacies where your language is spoken. I'm just going to guess your last name is Chinese, so if you look around communities where Chinese is spoken, you could use that language to your advantage. (If I am wrong, sorry.)

2.) I have not worked in a community pharmacy, but I think there will be all sorts of stress wherever you work. I believe the most important thing you can do is find a way to deal with the stress. Like, find some quiet time to yourself, or do something you enjoy after work. I'm sorry you had to wait 2 hours - I'm surprised they had a lunch time that long!

3.)By degree, do you mean an Associate's (2-year) degree? With a degree in Pharmacy Tech, you gain more of an understanding of drugs and math. You might even get some hands-on training with an externship arranged by the school. At the school I went to, we were not given degrees. Instead, our final exam was equivalent to the exam you take to get the CA Pharmacy Tech. license. So, if you passed it, you would then pay the $50 fee and get the license through the mail.

Most places require a license before you can do technician work, so going out an training at a pharmacy is slim. You do get more hands-on experience working at those places than in the classroom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emiloo in California

51 months ago

Sorry, I couldn't write more.

4.) An Associate's degree in Pharmacy Technician looks good on your resume, but employers are more interested in whether you have a CA license and/or national certification by the PTCB. The majority of hospitals require that certification, and retail pharmacies are slowly requiring them too.

I believe that the most important thing that will help you get a job is personal effort. The effort you put into searching and applying for jobs will help you tremendously. I am licensed by CA and passed the PTCE, yet I am still looking for a job.

Now I'm not saying that obtaining a degree is a waste - it can help you in the long run. I saw in another of your posts that you wanted to go onto Pharmacy school. That degree will help. Also, hypothetically speaking, if you and another person were applying to job, and the other person did not have that degree, the employer may pick you over him/her.

5.) Just like any other class, study really hard. Memorization is very important. Having a good memory will help you tremendously. Make flashcards for drugs, laws, and math formulas. For me, personally, the math was not too bad. It just took some practice to get the hang of things. Another important thing to keep in mind is to ask questions when you are stuck. That will go a long way.

Anyway, I hope my posts help you.

Good luck. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

prtyblaq04 in Menifee, California

51 months ago

Do you really have to be good in math in order to be a successful Tech?

Jimmy in San Francisco, California

51 months ago

Hello Emilio , well yeah I'm Chinese but I born in Peru so I speak Spanish and Chinese... thanks so much for the answer but I just wondering the A.S on Pharmacy tech and A.A is something? I mean how hard is that you get hired on hospitals or drugs stores? My teacher of Pharm 100 (Introduction to pharmacy) said that a lot of places are hiring even with this economy crisis is that true?

Thanks so much again Emilio and hope u get job soon =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

animalxpert in Fort Myers, Florida

51 months ago

JJ Yang in San Francisco, California said: Hi everyone my name is Jimmy, Im 20 and foreign student, I just waste almost 2 years at CCSF try to get AA degree...until I find this new college (Heald College), I pay almost the same fees that CCSF but in Heald College they said that you can give me Degree and Certificate in 18 months.. that is less 2 years, and that is pretty amazing Im come from mid-low family and I dont really expect alot of good just enougth to support my mon and myself

I have some question about this field

1.-Is very hard to find job as Foreign?

2.-I read in the forum many people complaining about how stressfull can be working at (cvs or wallgreens) but is here only on SF or all Pharmacy tech have 2 hours of lunch time! yesterday I just went to pick up my granpas medicin at wallgreens and the guy say "Oh okay come back in 2 hours ower lunch time is in 10 minutes" and I was waiting there for 2 hours!!! (sorry everyone if Im out of topic LOL)

3.-What is the different bettwen get Degree in Pharmacy tech and just go and get train at wallgreen or cvs?

4.-Is the Degree really helps you to find job?

5.-Any tips to survive in the classes ?,to be honest Im pretty but at math and science but I have pretty good memory I guess...

Thanks so much and Happy Holidays

JJ

Go to this link= www.mysurvey.com if you want to earn some extra cash on the side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emiloo in California

51 months ago

prtyblaq04 in Menifee, California said: Do you really have to be good in math in order to be a successful Tech?

Yes, but it's more towards basic math and Pharmacy/retail calculations.

You don't need to know Calculus, if that's what you meant by "good." :)

Emiloo in California

51 months ago

Jimmy in San Francisco, California said: Hello Emilio , well yeah I'm Chinese but I born in Peru so I speak Spanish and Chinese... thanks so much for the answer but I just wondering the A.S on Pharmacy tech and A.A is something? I mean how hard is that you get hired on hospitals or drugs stores? My teacher of Pharm 100 (Introduction to pharmacy) said that a lot of places are hiring even with this economy crisis is that true?

Thanks so much again Emilio and hope u get job soon =)

You're welcome! ^_^

Woah, that's cool you speak Spanish too.

Associate's degrees are split into two types: an A.S. which is an Associate's degree in a scien-related field, or an A.A., which is an Associate's in an art-related field.

You don't need an A.A. degree. That A.S. in Pharmacy Technician will help you already.

Honestly, it's hard to get a job in either place. Hospitals require you to have more training and experience, while retail doesn't.

Your teacher is right about places hiring, but I can't say anything about how wide the availability of jobs are. It comes down to the jobs available in your area. Look up Pharmacy Tech. jobs in San Francisco on this site, and hopefully that'll help answer your question. Even in this tough economy, there will always be people who are sick and need medication.

Emiloo in California

51 months ago

Oh yeah, and thank you! I hope I get a job soon! :)

51 months ago

Also my teacher told us that we gonna do externship on any rentail store, kaiser or wallgreens and standford (only for the top 10 students) I guess that do your externship on standford is gonna give you a lot on your resume rigth? also what exactly you do on the externship?

Emiloo in California

51 months ago

We did externships at my school, and the best places were reserved for the top students.

Is Stanford a hospital? If so, that's a good place.

Any type of externship will look good on your resume - it just depends on what type of environment you want to pursue later.

Honestly, most people consider hospitals to be better because they are more challenging and you learn a lot.

I externed at a hospital. I did stuff from making IV's to working in the outpatient and inpatient pharmacies.

51 months ago

OMG you work with IV's isnt that drugs for anxiety ?o_O and Im not sure stanford isnt university ? is no standford hospital in SF or near bay are as I know and makes no sense do externship on university ....., btw you from SF?

Emiloo in California

51 months ago

IV's can be made for all sorts of drugs. lol

Yeah, I thought that the IV portion of my externship was the hardest and most scariest, because you have to be extra careful and do the right calculations. You have to know all about aseptic technique, too. I also did batching - where you prepare a bunch of syringes at one time. I think the majority of the drugs I prepared were antibiotics.

(I'm sorry I didn't write more in my last post. I was in a hurry. I wish we could edit our posts. I've wrote so many already. haha)

In the outpatient part of my externship, I prepared prescriptions (counted pills, type/print labels, put labels on drug containers, and put drug with original prescription to be checked with pharmacist), ordered drugs online, faxed prescriptions to physicians, listened to phone messages and took down the information, and checked incoming stock. I thought that working on the computer was hardest, because it was an entierely different program then the ones I learned at school.

In the inpatient part, I organized the drug shelves and put back unit dose drugs on shelves that weren't used. I also filled patient cassettes and even checked emergency carts. I also prepared inpatient prescriptions for the pharmacist (got a label, got unit dose drugs, scanned them, and put them in bag with the label on the outside)and labeled pre-made syringes.

I believe that's all I did. I may have missed something, though. (I did this like over 6 months ago. lol)

Yes, Stanford is a university and a name of a town in Northern California. I visited there for a band trip. I looked it up online and they have a hospital there. Maybe your teacher meant there, or maybe there is another place by the name of Stanford. I don't know - you'll have to ask your teacher to clarify. haha

No, I'm not from San Francisco. I live in Southern California. :)

Emiloo in California

50 months ago

I recently heard about something I had forgotten from school:

If you get an Associate's degree in Pharmacy Technician, you can apply to get a CA license. If you already knew that, I'm sorry for repeating this information. I just recently heard about that, and it was interesting to me.

Here is info. from the CA State Board of Pharmacy:

www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf

You say that your school offers the degree? Well, you're on the right track! That degree will look good on your resume once you obtain it. Good luck! :)

JJ in San Francisco, California

50 months ago

I just asked my teacher about Stanford and he said is Stanford Hospital, and I already sign up for the externship and according to my teacher he said "Dont worry after you graduate with you AA Degree, AS Degree and the CA State Board of Pharmacy(he said before we graduate everyone will have that) you will in"
(-roll eyes- in where? wallgreens?. How true is this? good externship + degree = job?
My uncle told me that his friend, works in prison as PT and earn $3x per hour... and he said he never went to school he just pass the PTCB test .....

Emiloo in California

50 months ago

Emiloo in California said: Hi Jimmy! :)

For your first question, I can't really tell you whether you being a foreigner will make it harder for you to find jobs.

1.) In general, it is hard to find a Pharmacy Technician job. (I've applied to 15 jobs so far, and have had no luck. Haha)

You may have an advantage over other people, though. Since you speak another language, that can be advantageous in community pharmacies where your language is spoken. I'm just going to guess your last name is Chinese, so if you look around communities where Chinese is spoken, you could use that language to your advantage. (If I am wrong, sorry.)

2.) I have not worked in a community pharmacy, but I think there will be all sorts of stress wherever you work. I believe the most important thing you can do is find a way to deal with the stress. Like, find some quiet time to yourself, or do something you enjoy after work. I'm sorry you had to wait 2 hours - I'm surprised they had a lunch time that long!

3.)By degree, do you mean an Associate's (2-year) degree? With a degree in Pharmacy Tech, you gain more of an understanding of drugs and math. You might even get some hands-on training with an externship arranged by the school. At the school I went to, we were not given degrees. Instead, our final exam was equivalent to the exam you take to get the CA Pharmacy Tech. license. ETC....QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, please ignore what I said about how my final was equivalent to the exam you take for a CA license. There is no exam for the CA license. I'm sorry about that! >_<

Emiloo in California

50 months ago

JJ in San Francisco, California said: I just asked my teacher about Stanford and he said is Stanford Hospital, and I already sign up for the externship and according to my teacher he said "Dont worry after you graduate with you AA Degree, AS Degree and the CA State Board of Pharmacy(he said before we graduate everyone will have that) you will in"
(-roll eyes- in where? wallgreens?. How true is this? good externship + degree = job?
My uncle told me that his friend, works in prison as PT and earn $3x per hour... and he said he never went to school he just pass the PTCB test .....

What do your teacher mean by "...you will in"? Sorry. lol

I think the degree/experience are what qualify you for the job, but that the effort you put into searching/applying for jobs is what will really determine your success in landing one.

You may get hired from your externship, though. In a couple of my teacher's past classes, there were students who got hired while on their externships. If you make a good enough impression and work hard, you may be lucky like them.

Do you mean 3 times the salary, or 3 more dollars? I know that prisons/correctional facilities do pay higher. I applied for a correctional facility in Chino (down here in Southern CA) and I saw that the pay was $2992.00 a month, which is a little over $18 an hour. It may/may not have changed now. I know there are a couple prisons up North, though.

Yeah, you can just take the test to become one. I think going to school is better, though.

JJ in San Francisco, California

50 months ago

3x =$30-39 per hour , How hard is the PTCB test? rate it from 1 to 10 ?

regina in Pinole, California

50 months ago

Emiloo in California said: What do your teacher mean by "...you will in"? Sorry. lol

I think the degree/experience are what qualify you for the job, but that the effort you put into searching/applying for jobs is what will really determine your success in landing one.

You may get hired from your externship, though. In a couple of my teacher's past classes, there were students who got hired while on their externships. If you make a good enough impression and work hard, you may be lucky like them.

Do you mean 3 times the salary, or 3 more dollars? I know that prisons/correctional facilities do pay higher. I applied for a correctional facility in Chino (down here in Southern CA) and I saw that the pay was $2992.00 a month, which is a little over $18 an hour. It may/may not have changed now. I know there are a couple prisons up North, though.

Yeah, you can just take the test to become one. I think going to school is better, though.[/QUOTE

hi i just saw your post...is it hard for a foreign graduate (Im a pharmacist) to find a job? I already have my certification from PTCB and licensed from the board of pharmacy...i really need a income right now...can you give me suggestions on where to apply...ive been trying my luck since last year

Tiffany in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

25 months ago

Emiloo in California said: Hi Jimmy! :)

3.)By degree, do you mean an Associate's (2-year) degree? With a degree in Pharmacy Tech, you gain more of an understanding of drugs and math. You might even get some hands-on training with an externship arranged by the school. At the school I went to, we were not given degrees. Instead, our final exam was equivalent to the exam you take to get the CA Pharmacy Tech. license. So, if you passed it, you would then pay the $50 fee and get the license through the mail.

Most places require a license before you can do technician work, so going out an training at a pharmacy is slim. You do get more hands-on experience working at those places than in the classroom.

I just was impressed by your knowledge about Pharmacy tech.
and Hi..
I'm interested in become a pharmacist after I have all experienced of pharmacy tech.
so it was so helpful to read all the post.
and I want to keep talking about it with you !!
may I have your email address? (is it creepy?) sorry..

Tiffany in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

25 months ago

regina in Pinole, California said:

sounds awesome.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.