Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 146)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

How did you get your start doing pharmacy technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Nanette Brown in Akron, Ohio

87 months ago

I have a diploma for pharmacy technician from Penn Foster online schooling and i can't find a job here in my hometown. I have 3 young kids and work nights so it is hard to go to school for the right training. The job i applied for jobs but got turn down. What to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Marlborough, Massachusetts

86 months ago

Nanette Brown in Akron, Ohio said: I have a diploma for pharmacy technician from Penn Foster online schooling and i can't find a job here in my hometown. I have 3 young kids and work nights so it is hard to go to school for the right training. The job i applied for jobs but got turn down. What to do?

for me it was a bit easier i had no training , and at the retail chains(cvs,walgreens) THEY train you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Mission Viejo, California

86 months ago

sue in Marlborough, Massachusetts said: for me it was a bit easier i had no training , and at the retail chains(cvs,walgreens) THEY train you.

i just want to know, how much do they usually pay certified pharmacy tech at cvs i mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

barbara chamorro in Goffstown, New Hampshire

86 months ago

sue in Marlborough, Massachusetts said: for me it was a bit easier i had no training , and at the retail chains(cvs,walgreens) THEY train you.

really cvs and walgreens train you to be a
Certified Pharmacy Technician how do i apply or where do i start as this is what i want to do thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

pebbles32f in Springfield, Massachusetts

86 months ago

i live in springfield ma not gofftown

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

winnie in Oakland, California

86 months ago

I just started to work at walgreens and i was wondering do i have to be a licensed tech in order to that the certification exam to get certified. thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Orleans, Michigan

85 months ago

walgreens will send you to tech classes and pay for you to take the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shellie horelica in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

winnie in Oakland, California said: I just started to work at walgreens and i was wondering do i have to be a licensed tech in order to that the certification exam to get certified. thanks in advance

yes you have to take the test, you don't have to go to college but I would reccomend it because you have to know alot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

decieving gecko in clearwater, Florida

85 months ago

I just started working out in a walmart pharmacy, i was wondering if anyone has taken the national certification test for pharmacy techs. is it hard? and can u do it without goign to school?

I was going to school and it ended up being a waste of money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cliff in Austin, Texas

85 months ago

I took the test without school. I'm certified and licensed but can't get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jeffsnokc in oklahoma city, Oklahoma

85 months ago

The pharmacy tech exam is pretty hard. I am not in the clinical part, I work a call center, but I was able to pass the exam. you need 650 to pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeffsnokc in Garden Grove, California

85 months ago

Nanette Brown in Akron, Ohio said: I have a diploma for pharmacy technician from Penn Foster online schooling and i can't find a job here in my hometown. I have 3 young kids and work nights so it is hard to go to school for the right training. The job i applied for jobs but got turn down. What to do?

contact me via email in my profile. i have an idea for you for pharmacy tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

i would like to know how do i get started working in a cvs or a walgreens as i really want to be a Pharmacy tech thanks

84 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing pharmacy technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I just decided to go to school to become one, but i found out that u dont have to go to school . granted u do learn alot if u choose the right school i unforgently didnt. but i work at walmart and i just started the pharmacy there they are training me how to do everythign.and im going to take the certification test in a year or so, if u have that u will make more.
There is alot of math, but its nothing to hard if u go to borders theres a book called doseages and drugs made by mobley it has a workbook and u read through it u should catch on. Im horrible at math but i caught on lol. Hope this helped you
keep me posted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

decieving gecko in clearwater, Florida said: I just decided to go to school to become one, but i found out that u dont have to go to school . granted u do learn alot if u choose the right school i unforgently didnt. but i work at walmart and i just started the pharmacy there they are training me how to do everythign.and im going to take the certification test in a year or so, if u have that u will make more.
There is alot of math, but its nothing to hard if u go to borders theres a book called doseages and drugs made by mobley it has a workbook and u read through it u should catch on. Im horrible at math but i caught on lol. Hope this helped you
keep me posted

by any chance do u hvae the ibn number cause i went to borders to find the book and they said there is no such thing thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

pebbles32f in Springfield, Massachusetts said: by any chance do u hvae the ibn number cause i went to borders to find the book and they said there is no such thing thanks

the ibn number is 978-0-323-04588-9 its helped me out so far, the other book is the review for certification test im not sure what its called i dont have that info in front of me right now but i will get it for u its a blue a gray book its sold at borders too its with the medical books, and the pill book is also a good asset, i will get those numbers for u too. Hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

decieving gecko in clearwater, Florida said: the ibn number is 978-0-323-04588-9 its helped me out so far, the other book is the review for certification test im not sure what its called i dont have that info in front of me right now but i will get it for u its a blue a gray book its sold at borders too its with the medical books, and the pill book is also a good asset, i will get those numbers for u too. Hope that helps

thanks so much

CA in Round Lake, Illinois

84 months ago

if you take the test without schooling, how do you memorize the top medications portion of the test without prior knowledge of them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brandon in San Francisco, California

84 months ago

don't stress I just took the cert. test last may. It's pretty straight forward not to many specific medication questions all though brushing up on your top 200 drugs makes it a lot easier to guess if you do not have any idea on a medication. The math is straight foward as long as you know your metric system and equivalents mostly mL's equivalents. For the what you do in a certain situation is common sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

pebbles32f in Springfield, Massachusetts said: thanks so much

Np the other books i metioned the pill book and mosbly book that comes with the workbook are really good to
Pill: 0-323-034-623 and Mosbly: 0-7216-943-65 they are helpful good luck hope this all helps u out

84 months ago

decieving gecko in clearwater, Florida said: Np the other books i metioned the pill book and mosbly book that comes with the workbook are really good to
Pill: 0-323-034-623 and Mosbly: 0-7216-943-65 they are helpful good luck hope this all helps u out

thanks so much

KeKe in Indianapolis, Indiana

84 months ago

I just applied for cvs and they hired me in the pharmacy I went to the state government building and got a pharmacy tech in training permit. after working there a while you will be trained and certified through them and go back to state government building with that documentation and get license. permit cost $25 here at my state. in my state you have to atleast have a permit otherwise the pharmacy will get fined $10 thousand dollars! My friend who barely passed high school and has no intention on going to college has been a pharmacy tech since a few month after she graduated highscool. so I dont believe it will be too hard! She is very very ditzy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

** in Bowling Green, Ohio

84 months ago

I've been a pharmacy technician for 6 years, starting at the age of 19 with no prior experience or training and only a high school diploma. I applied at my local grocery store for a cashier position, and they asked if I would be interested in working in the pharmacy. At that pharmacy I learned a lot. There was no formal training - I trained on the job.

To work in a retail pharmacy your biggest asset is to be able to listen to patients (these are people at their worst - after a serious injury or illness, after the hospitalization of a loved one, people with sick children, people who are low on money or have no insurance and have to pay exorbitant prices to get themselves healthy - and everyone has something better to do than stand in line, or wait 20 minutes for a prescription). If helping people like this is what you would like to do, go for it, but remember: Retail pharmacies do not normally pay a living wage to their technicians. At best in your first 2 years you'll make a couple bucks more than minimum. Like working at McDonald's.

And the work is stressful. You begin to see patients as "customers" because all you do is type their prescription into the computer, put it through insurance, pull their drug, count it out, recheck it, pass it on to the pharmacist and ring them out. You see the drugs they're getting, but have no time to consider their predicament. You are a salesman, and you may not know why or how you're selling it, but you're selling health.

After 3 years of retail pharmacy, I started working in a hospital. Still with no certification, only experience. The work there is more interesting, more involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

thanks for the input i would really like to work in a hospital i was going to school where the teacher was very unprofessonial she also told me to work in a hospital that u had to be certified wow ! Glad i left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Is there anyone out there whow works in Tacoma WA or near seattle? And i was doing some research online i was wondering if any one has used The Book "Pharmacy Technicain workbook and certification review by Proseptive Press? i read reviews they said they were good and others said otherwise i just wanted to know i need some type of a review book i have others from class that have helped me out alot now i need a review book lol.
Thanks
suzy

Barbara McDermott in Shelby, Iowa

84 months ago

I'm from Neola, Iowa. I am a registered nurse but my doctor does not want me to work in the clinical side of it due to the stress. I really want to go to pharmacy tech school. Gatlin school requires 240 hours (I'm not sure what it means) but you don't get a diploma and you just have to certify. Does anyone know what the difference is. I think that having the diploma plus the certification with being a registered nurse x 10 years will be in my favor in finding the right job and keeping it. What do you think. Would you reccomend anything different. I like patient teaching and education.

BABATUNDE IJAOLA in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

I'm a certified Pharmacy technician, i've been trying to get a job but i couldn't get one due to no experience. How do i have a job to start my experience as a pharmacy Technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Quinshana Dickey (RX Drug Clerk) in Bronx, New York

84 months ago

i am currently a drug clerk at a duane reade pharmacy well at least thats what im titled under i actually carry out the job as a technician which i was never interested in before but now i want 2 pursue this im doing very well but im looking 2 get certified . i was suppose to begin a course at bronx commumity college but when i went to pay for my course and unfotunatley nobody was aware of the course i was talking about they claim i was read misinformation
so i was wandering if anybody knew of any classes to get certified that is only for about 4 months

dilip in London, United Kingdom

84 months ago

decieving gecko in clearwater, Florida said: I just started working out in a walmart pharmacy, i was wondering if anyone has taken the national certification test for pharmacy techs. is it hard? and can u do it without goign to school?

I was going to school and it ended up being a waste of money

I passed my exam in may 07. I did not go school just the self and home study.
I do not think it's easy but by studying hard you will pass.

84 months ago

dilip in London, United Kingdom said: I passed my exam in may 07. I did not go school just the self and home study.
I do not think it's easy but by studying hard you will pass.

thanks, is there any book you recommend to use for studying?

2Jazzy in Mobile, Alabama

84 months ago

I just came back from taking the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam less than 2 hours ago. I'm not sure how I did. I work in a retail setting and utilized a study guide, but the material was a bit hard to me. I'll see how I did in about a week, I guess.

84 months ago

congrats hope you do well

84 months ago

I bet you did fine

Brandy in Port Hueneme, Ca in Camarillo, California

84 months ago

CA in Round Lake, Illinois said: if you take the test without schooling, how do you memorize the top medications portion of the test without prior knowledge of them?

If you look up the top 200 drugs through google you will find it. The top 50 would be the ones you would need to know the most :)

Brandy in Port Hueneme, Ca in Camarillo, California

84 months ago

Quinshana Dickey (RX Drug Clerk) in Bronx, New York said: i am currently a drug clerk at a duane reade pharmacy well at least thats what im titled under i actually carry out the job as a technician which i was never interested in before but now i want 2 pursue this im doing very well but im looking 2 get certified . i was suppose to begin a course at bronx commumity college but when i went to pay for my course and unfotunatley nobody was aware of the course i was talking about they claim i was read misinformation
so i was wandering if anybody knew of any classes to get certified that is only for about 4 months

The schooling is atleast one year long and that is if you go full time. Later after you are certified you can take short courses to keep your license etc...but i think you were mislead by who ever told you that it was only four months i have never heard of that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Can anyone who has taken the computer-based test tell me when my pass/fail grade will be available to me online? My printout said that the results would be mailed to me by Oct 12th, but I'm hoping like hell that I can find out something online before then! If not, these are guaranteed to be the longest two weeks of my life!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Belia in Spokane, Washington

83 months ago

Can someone please tell me what site I can take the test. Also are there any sites that are good for me to check out so I can study online? Thanks

HOPE in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Belia in Spokane, Washington said: Can someone please tell me what site I can take the test. Also are there any sites that are good for me to check out so I can study online? Thanks

You can try this website www.emcp.com. They have pharmacy calculation and pharmacy tech study guide.

Belia in Spokane, Washington

83 months ago

HOPE in Houston, Texas said: You can try this website www.emcp.com. They have pharmacy calculation and pharmacy tech study guide.

Thanks HOPE in Houston, I was wondering if you can take the test on this website also. So if you pass the test on one of these sites does this mean that your certified? If so can you apply for a tech position and say your certified? Please let know, would greatly appreciate it Thanks.

BigJon in San Francisco, California

83 months ago

pebbles32f in Springfield, Massachusetts said: by any chance do u hvae the ibn number cause i went to borders to find the book and they said there is no such thing thanks

Mosby's Review for the PTCE or something. Just type in like PTCE or PTCB in amazon. Its like a purple and green book. I used that one and I passed the PTCE exam with like an 803 out of 900

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kellie in Wasco, California

83 months ago

My results for the national certification is due on October 12th also. I have already received my results and certificate. I passed the test. I bought a book online through Barnes and Noble called :Mosby's Review for the PTCE. I did not have time to study the book as I was doing my internship hours. It is a very good book for review. Highly recommend it. I just finished with pharmacy tech school for 15 months and went right on to pass the test. I am just waiting for my state license in California. Math is the most important thing to study for the National Certification.

Roh in Flushing, New York

83 months ago

Quinshana Dickey (RX Drug Clerk) in Bronx, New York said:

School is
New York Medical Career Training Center in Flushing, New York
Get certified, they give the test there.
Website is
maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=new+york+med+training&near=Flushing,+NY&fb=1&view=text&latlng=40759420,-73830062,2514567509279907626

83 months ago

Kellie in Wasco, California said: My results for the national certification is due on October 12th also. I have already received my results and certificate. I passed the test. I bought a book online through Barnes and Noble called :Mosby's Review for the PTCE. I did not have time to study the book as I was doing my internship hours. It is a very good book for review. Highly recommend it. I just finished with pharmacy tech school for 15 months and went right on to pass the test. I am just waiting for my state license in California. Math is the most important thing to study for the National Certification.

So you already got your results? Where did you go to check? I thought that it wouldn't be available until October 12th and I have been waiting on pins and needles to see if I passed it. Was there a place you logged in online to get this info?

Kellie in Wasco, California

83 months ago

I took the test September 22. I received a paper saying I could check online and my results would be mailed and available on October 12. I received my results last Wednesday which would be the third. I went to the mailbox and there was my certificate. I was surprised because I wasn't expecting them. I am in California which might make a difference. I haven't tried the PTCB website to see if my results are available. You might want to check and see if they are available for you. Good Luck to You!!! Keep me posted on how you did. I was on pins and needles 2. It's nice to have contact with other pharmcy techs

83 months ago

Kellie in Wasco, California said: I took the test September 22. I received a paper saying I could check online and my results would be mailed and available on October 12. I received my results last Wednesday which would be the third. I went to the mailbox and there was my certificate. I was surprised because I wasn't expecting them. I am in California which might make a difference. I haven't tried the PTCB website to see if my results are available. You might want to check and see if they are available for you. Good Luck to You!!! Keep me posted on how you did. I was on pins and needles 2. It's nice to have contact with other pharmcy techs

Yes, I agree. Thanks for the reassurance. I took my test on September 26th, so perhaps the few days are what make the difference. I also believe that you being in California and me in Alabama may make the difference also, lol. I'll definitely keep you posted; waiting two more days isn't gonna kill me. This coming Friday's my moment of truth! Until then. . .

83 months ago

thanks you very much i went out and baught it

rhonda in Denton, Texas

83 months ago

I am a Certified medication aide, and I want to go to penn foster for Pharmacy tech. I want to know if there is any book I can get that will help me to take the state test. Please reply

83 months ago

I passed my test!! I feel so relieved to know that it's all over with and that my efforts weren't in vain. The book I studied from was called "Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review" by Patricia Anthony. Purchase the newest edition. It covered all the sections that would be on the exam, the biggest part being the math and Assisting the Pharmacist with Serving Patients. I didn't devote a whole lot of time to memorizing the drug names, but many of their contraindications were on the exam and all this was covered in the book. I definitely recommend this book

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bolingo in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

rhonda in Denton, Texas said: I am a Certified medication aide, and I want to go to penn foster for Pharmacy tech. I want to know if there is any book I can get that will help me to take the state test. Please reply

rhonda did you take cna before cma?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.