Taking the pharm tech test

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 833)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

JoshinDallas in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

BTW not all states have Mail Order Pharmacies.
I also want to add, it never hurts to progress from tech onto something even better, try even going to be a pharmacist, or even try working for a pharmaceutical company. You dont have to be an expert at math to do pharmacy. You just have to be able to learn. No one is automatically good at math. I am terrible, but once you learn its like riding a bike, it'll never leave you. So dont give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

78 months ago

So you want to become a pharmacy tech? may I ask why? what draws people to this low paying, and high stress job market?

I have been working as a pharmacy tech for about a month now. over the last few days, ive noticed the lead tech having break downs, and she has 12 years of experiance...

If i was a betting person, I would say a high number of people that
do become pharmacy techs, only a small % will stay in the field. You have to be very good, you have to be fairly fast, and smart enough
to know what you are doing, even if you never been in the field before.

If you think you are just going to count pills and slap labels on bottles, well im here to burst your bubble, this is a high stress
job field, any monkey can pull from stock, count pills, and run the register, you are constantly interupted by silly phone calls from people "is my med ready" you have to deal with doctors on the phone, customers calling in "why is my med not ready" you constantly deal with customers at the register "why did insurance not pay" and they know good and well that their insurance never paid for their med to begin with...I had a really pissed off customer today, his insurance paid for one, and not the other, he said what the @##$, "I cant have one without the other" the insurance did not want to pay for the other...well you can not have a car without the gas, and no one is surely going to buy the gas for you...oh, your not done...the computer system can be very complex gettings scripts in, trying to figure out why insurance claims did not go through, then explain to the customer insurance would not pay..then you go through the same story with them..."This is covered by my insurance" NO, its not...and it does not matter what they say or think, if insurance says no, then its NO, either pay cash price or get the doctor to write for a generic if available...one person got rejected by insurance on abilify...$400 cash price...

only you know if you are qualified...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JoshinDallas in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

Oh I know, its not easy being in a pharmacy, but you have the be the right kind of person to do it. Not just anyone has the mentality to deal under high stress. I currently work for Allstate insurance and i know all about stress working here. But the pay here vs pharmacy is basically the same. But being a tech gives someone an idea to someone who thinks they may want to go into the medical field and gives people opportunity to decide if they are going to want to do that or not. I do recommend people self-study at home and go and buy study books. That is the best way to go. These schools scam people out of $10K or more for something that you can do on your own. Plus being in a pharmacy gives you an idea of how to take care of yourself and others around you when someone becomes ill. Yeah your not a pharmacist and cant give out advice while your in the pharmacy but nothing against you helping others when your not at work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Onyi D in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

i believe i speak for most of us when i say Pharm Tech is something were doing for the mean time to get through school on good pay and something that will look good as we transfer, apply to the actual pharmacy school. there would only be a few percentage of us just doing this as their career... or at least so I would think!

i have another question, how long did it take some of you to study for the PTCB!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Akron, Ohio

78 months ago

I agree, yet you left out one demographic. Those of us who want a 'second' career after retirement. I was a career military officer, taught high school, worked as a District Manager for NCR Corporation and managed an IT department for a large jewelry chain. I wanted to do something entirely different and while volunteering at the local VA Hospital I got to talking with a Pharmacy Tech. One thing led to another and I wound up taking a two month Pharmacy Technician class to prepare folks for the PTCB exam at the local Community College. I studied relatively hard for those two months and some on my own and passed the PTCB in December. Some have said it is easy and some difficult. I am somewhere in between. It's not a walk in the park and there is a body of knowledge you just HAVE to know. As for the test itself, time is your biggest enemy - develop a strategy. I am now a tech with a small retail chain (10 stores) and find it enjoyable. BTW, it is NOT easy finding a tech job without experience. MY particular plan it to work where I am an get in another setting, perhaps a hospital, some kind of clinic, or at the VA hospital. Or, I just may kick back and leave a spot for one of you !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Anniston, Alabama

77 months ago

JoJoctrnl21 in Centralia, Washington said: I will be moving back home to mobile Alabama soon,and I just got certified as a pharmacy tech.Does anyone know how much a tech makes there?

first you are to be certified in alabama.
then you should expect to make between $12 - $15 an hour pending on your experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

$12 - $15 an hour!! In a community pharmacy setting or a hospital?? Starting in this area with no experience - maybe $9 - $10, of course Ohio does not recognize/require certification - yet. It gets you nada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mari in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

Hi everyone !! I am planning to take the PTCB exam this coming August! Can you guys tell me where I can buy pharmacy tech book and who is the author?.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

Go to the PTBC.org website. You will find some good resources there. Best of luck on your test.

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

Randy in Akron, Ohio said: Go to the PTBC.org website. You will find some good resources there. Best of luck on your test.

Thats PTCB.org...sorry.

Mai in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

Randy in Akron, Ohio said: Thats PTCB.org...sorry.

Thsnks but what do you recomend best....hehe

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

Ok Mai in Charlotte. This book, published by the American Pharmacy Association, will get you through the test IF, any only IF, you study it, do the exercises, and become one with it!! " Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician " 2nd Edition, L. Michael Posey. ISBN: 978-1-58212-094-2. Available at www.pharmacist.com. Does THAT help??? Good Luck Sparky.

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

Hi

I think most books, if you become "one with it" will help an individual in the taking of the national exam. The problem is that too many review books are simply an inundation of information put together that may or may not be specific to the national exam. The APhA recommended review book "Workbook for the National Exam" is a good one as I co-wrote the first edition, but....

I recommend the Tech Lectures Review Manual. It comes complete with a workbook and free on-line support if you have question to ask during your studies. The book is more specific to the exam itself.

Joe Medina, CPhT, Pharmacist

www.techlectures.com

----------
Hi everyone !! I am planning to take the PTCB exam this coming August! Can you guys tell me where I can buy pharmacy tech book and who is the author?.

-----------
Ok Mai in Charlotte. This book, published by the American Pharmacy Association, will get you through the test IF, any only IF, you study it, do the exercises, and become one with it!! " Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado said: Hi

I think most books, if you become "one with it" will help an individual in the taking of the national exam. The problem is that too many review books are simply an inundation of information put together that may or may not be specific to the national exam. The APhA recommended review book "Workbook for the National Exam" is a good one as I co-wrote the first edition, but....

I recommend the Tech Lectures Review Manual. It comes complete with a workbook and free on-line support if you have question to ask during your studies. The book is more specific to the exam itself.

Joe Medina, CPhT, Pharmacist

www.techlectures.com

----------

-----------
Ok Mai in Charlotte. This book, published by the American Pharmacy Association, will get you through the test IF, any only IF, you study it, do the exercises, and become one with it!! " Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician

I'll agree with my colleague, Joe Medina's recommendation, 'Tech Lectures Review Manual'. Joe is much more experienced than am I. My reasoning for recommending the text that I did is because it follows the new PTCB testing format,i.e. "Assisting the Pharmacist in Serving Patients; Maintaining Med. Inventory Control Systems, and Admin Mgt of Pharmacy Practice". I believe the book Joe refered to can be purchased at www.techlectures.com. Correct me if I am wrong Joe. Regardless, you have to do the work to pass the exam, which, btw, is only part of the journey. You need to keep current in the profession by keeping up with your CEU's and perhaps subscribing to a tech journal.

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

Does anyone know of a program that can be installed on a PDA that lists drugs - generic cross referenced to brand with indications. If so, could you provide the name of the program, how it can be obtained, cost, and a very brief review. It would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Randy Moon, CPhT

77 months ago

Randy in Akron, Ohio said: Does anyone know of a program that can be installed on a PDA that lists drugs - generic cross referenced to brand with indications. If so, could you provide the name of the program, how it can be obtained, cost, and a very brief review. It would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Randy Moon, CPhT

thats a good idea...even though this will prove little use
to you unless you just want to know it...the computer makes
this determination for you, and if it does not, then it falls
on the pharmacist on what to use...

with a 1 min search I found this free download for your PDA...

www.epocrates.com/products/rx/

More than 3,300 brand and generic drugs, including:
Dosing, Interactions and Adverse Reactions
Safety/Monitoring
Pharmacology
Retail pricing

hope this helps.

Kayle in Gainesville, Florida

77 months ago

I'm getting ready to apply for the pharmacy program at UF since they require you to start the application process about a year in advanced. Well I'm at that point but I've come to find that I'm having a harder time finding a job then I thought. Well I've applied EVERYWHERE and I've got nothing, when I say everywhere I mean it. I know the economy isn't great but I'm 23 and can't find a JOB. I've gotten no call backs, no interviews, nothing. I've even called and went in to talk to managers. The best response I got was from publix and they said that if my schedule was a little more free that I would be a maybe. Not exactly the response I was looking for. I can't stop school all together just to get a job. That kind of seems like back tracking to me. I don't understand why I'm not getting hired, I know I don't have any pharmacy experience and have been out of the work for a year or so due to school but I do have lots of experience with customer service, sales and I'm not stupid so I don't know why I'm not being given a chance. Any tips from anyone for getting a job in the pharmacy world?? I'm desperate at this point. I'm thinking of getting certified on my own but I'm nervous that it won't matter because of the experience thing. Any suggestions??

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

One word...network. Managers are skiddish about hiring an unknown....not the rule but more so than not. Talk to people you know who may have a connection with a pharmacy...like your doc, dentist, vet, etc and have them may a call for you. After having gone through what you have been experiencing I made a call to one of my old, retired bosses who was happy to make a call to one of his pharmacists buddies. That got me in. Good Luck.

NOBODYS HOME in ANYWHERE, Virgin Islands

77 months ago

HI

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Well I just moved here a few months ago and don't really know anyone in the area. The sad part is that I moved here specifically for this school I'm trying to get into and at this pt its not looking good b/c I can't find a job. Thanks for the tip though it is much appreciated. Any other suggestions b/c I'm kinda running out of time. I'm in my summer semester at this time but its an anatomy class and it seems like all the people in the class are 18 and going for a physical therapy degree and I've asked around a little and you can say it didn't go anywhere. I feel like I've come to a dead-end!! HELP!!! Anyone know anyone in Gainesville, FL area that can make a call for me??? LOL!!!
Any CVS managers out there, I've answered an add for and entry-level pharm tech in my area and of course nothing. So I know they are looking for people but it seems that I'm not what they are looking for...='(

Lisa in Eldorado, Wisconsin

77 months ago

I feel your pain Kayle, I have been applying everywhere, and got my first interview for the state. I have no experience and no certification, I have ample customer service skills and am getting quite worried for the interview. I believe they are giving everyone a fair chance. The article told me that they are hiring the most qualified. Clearly my qualifications can be trumped! Any suggestions for modifications for my resume, or interview?

77 months ago

Kayle in Gainesville, Florida said: I'm getting ready to apply for the pharmacy program at UF since they require you to start the application process about a year in advanced. Well I'm at that point but I've come to find that I'm having a harder time finding a job then I thought. Well I've applied EVERYWHERE and I've got nothing, when I say everywhere I mean it. I know the economy isn't great but I'm 23 and can't find a JOB. I've gotten no call backs, no interviews, nothing. I've even called and went in to talk to managers. The best response I got was from publix and they said that if my schedule was a little more free that I would be a maybe. Not exactly the response I was looking for. I can't stop school all together just to get a job. That kind of seems like back tracking to me. I don't understand why I'm not getting hired, I know I don't have any pharmacy experience and have been out of the work for a year or so due to school but I do have lots of experience with customer service, sales and I'm not stupid so I don't know why I'm not being given a chance. Any tips from anyone for getting a job in the pharmacy world?? I'm desperate at this point. I'm thinking of getting certified on my own but I'm nervous that it won't matter because of the experience thing. Any suggestions??

I would say that 95% or more of the time that pharmacies are hiring part timers...most of our pharmacy chain is run on part-timers so the company does not have that benfit expence...I think you just hit the nail on the head "why am I not being hired" maybe because you are not flexible...if you want a job, you have to bend their way and not yours, then you wonder why your not working yet...you can not go in and say well, i can work this, that, but not this day, it does not work that way...i told my employeer what he wanted to hear, Im flexible, Ill be there if needed, and so on...your potential employeer needs your for their needs, not your own, that is just the way it is.

77 months ago

Randy in Akron, Ohio said: One word...network. Managers are skiddish about hiring an unknown....not the rule but more so than not. Talk to people you know who may have a connection with a pharmacy...like your doc, dentist, vet, etc and have them may a call for you. After having gone through what you have been experiencing I made a call to one of my old, retired bosses who was happy to make a call to one of his pharmacists buddies. That got me in. Good Luck.

I just can not see that happening a lot, your asking a professional that you may barely know to put his rep on the line by doing you a favor?? think about it, your wanting someone with a degree and years of experience to make a call for someone that does not have a degree nor a job, does that make sense too you? you and the professional are not even in the same class range...If i was a doctor and i knew you for 20 years? probably as a client and you want me to call someone else so you could possibly get a $10hr job??

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

Hmmm...opinions vary.

cristy

77 months ago

nbbhjhbk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ERICA JOHNSON in Detroit, Michigan

77 months ago

Nycole in Washington, Michigan said: I just got a job at CVS. I start next week. I am so excited. What I was wondering is that I heard they pay for you to become a pharmacy tech is this true or do I still need to buy the book and take the test myself?

HELLO NYCOLE IN WASHINGTON, I AM CURRENTLY ENROLLED AT EVEREST INSTITUTE IN DETROIT, MI. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT YOU CAN WORK AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN WITH OUT TAKING THE TEST OR TAKING AN COURSE. HOWEVER, YOU CAN MAKE MORE MONEY IF YOU TAKE A COURSE AND MOST DEFINITELY IF YOU GET CERTIFIED. GOOD LUCK!

77 months ago

ERICA JOHNSON in Detroit, Michigan said: HELLO NYCOLE IN WASHINGTON, I AM CURRENTLY ENROLLED AT EVEREST INSTITUTE IN DETROIT, MI. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT YOU CAN WORK AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN WITH OUT TAKING THE TEST OR TAKING AN COURSE. HOWEVER, YOU CAN MAKE MORE MONEY IF YOU TAKE A COURSE AND MOST DEFINITELY IF YOU GET CERTIFIED. GOOD LUCK!

You will not get paid more if you are certified in all cases, when i got hired I mentioned that i was certified, they did not seem to care one bit, so basicly we are bragging that we passed a little test and they should give us more...that is how their thought came across to me.

77 months ago

Lisa in Eldorado, Wisconsin said: I feel your pain Kayle, I have been applying everywhere, and got my first interview for the state. I have no experience and no certification, I have ample customer service skills and am getting quite worried for the interview. I believe they are giving everyone a fair chance. The article told me that they are hiring the most qualified. Clearly my qualifications can be trumped! Any suggestions for modifications for my resume, or interview?

No exp, no certification, and they called you for an interview? sounds like what the hospital did to me, they knew exactly what was on my resume, and I had no exp but they called me to interview anyway, I got a rejection email the very next day...I wonder why employers bother wasting out time?

F-Bomb in Los Angeles, California

77 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: I would say that 95% or more of the time that pharmacies are hiring part timers...most of our pharmacy chain is run on part-timers so the company does not have that benfit expence...I think you just hit the nail on the head "why am I not being hired" maybe because you are not flexible...if you want a job, you have to bend their way and not yours, then you wonder why your not working yet...you can not go in and say well, i can work this, that, but not this day, it does not work that way...i told my employeer what he wanted to hear, Im flexible, Ill be there if needed, and so on...your potential employeer needs your for their needs, not your own, that is just the way it is.

Who ever wrote this comment needs to know that this attitude about being flexible and not bending your way but the CVS way should know this same attitude broke up the best Team at CVS where I'm from. The Manager who had this narrow minded approach is now terminated and our once A-Team staff is down to nothing. I believe in flexibility.. but in life...in business...in everything flexibility needs to go both ways. Balance is the key to 100 percent performance from all employees. If a Pharmacy Technician can only work a few days because she or he has a family to provide for then a good company needs to bend a little. Sometimes I feel CVS is being run by robots..no heart. How can we draw the customers in and care for them if WE the employees are being treated like an expendable race. Behavior Breeds Behavior. Before CVS came and bought out Savon..our staff was happy...we won all the yearly awards for the best and we had the strongest PERSONAL contact with all our customers. CVS began to make our smiles fade but I am a fighter and I will stay hoping that in time CVS will somehow grow a heart and we might again be the best and give our customers the respect they deserve and service CVS boast so much about. Customer Value Store...value our employees.

77 months ago

WOW I really needed to hear some of this stuff. I am still a student and school comes first at this point!! When I said that I wasn't flexible I meant that they wouldn't hire me b/c I couldn't be FULL-TIME. There is just no way I can take on a 12 credit semester and work full time. Now part time is more resonable but again my school schedule has to be worked around. I live in a college town and so I know these managers are awhere that any responsible person is going to put school first and they will have to work around MY schedule.
My husband just opened an account at the bank the other day and somehow my situation came up in conversation and he found out there his banker knew that there are 2 openings in the pharmacy at Target so that is what I'm doing today. I also found out that they were 2 college students working part time who have been accepted into the pharm school. This would be so perfect for me but this has happened before. The same story was going on at Publix and they were losing 2 people who were both college students so I went in and applied and talked to the pharm manager and she is the one who said that if I was applying as a full-time employee then I would be a MAYBE. I think she was more upset at the fact that an outsider knew about the opening and she did make the comment that we usually don't hirer outside of the store...I thought that was kinda weird. We will see, wish me lots of luck... and thanks again for the positive and negative feedback!

77 months ago

Kayle in Gainesville, Florida said: WOW I really needed to hear some of this stuff. I am still a student and school comes first at this point!! When I said that I wasn't flexible I meant that they wouldn't hire me b/c I couldn't be FULL-TIME. There is just no way I can take on a 12 credit semester and work full time. Now part time is more resonable but again my school schedule has to be worked around. I live in a college town and so I know these managers are awhere that any responsible person is going to put school first and they will have to work around MY schedule.

it has nothing to do with positive or negative. I have to be realistic as can be, and try not to sugar coat what life really is..and if its true what you said about hiring within, then you do not have a shot at all..why hire you, when they can just move one of their own into the slot that is already working for them...promotion within makes sense..yes, your lucky you heard about the job, that does not mean you will get it...if you do, then great...and yes there are tons of kids/students working at pharmacies, but the thing is, they are working and you are not, and if you start telling them how unflexiable you are, then your chances of getting a job just got lowered more. There is a student at my store that just wanted her shift off for no reason...the pharmacist said ok, and I said sure, thats just 4 more hours for me.. she is fairly flexible, but I would not state what I could not do until i got my foot into the door...and I think a full time class load and a full time job is going to be a bit much...have you ever stood on your feet for 40 hours per week? You will want to give up one or the other...

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

77 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: Trying to find a pharmacy tech job is like pulling teeth. How do some of you find a job, no matter what store you are in, I would like to know what you did to apply?? I am told by chains to apply online, so I do that, i have did this several times, no one ever calls. I send/fax resumes, no one ever calls...I walk into a store, and they direct me over to their application center machine...again, this is a loop, no one ever calls...so i would like to know how some of you guys get jobs at walmart, cvs, walgreens, etc... I am sure that I am not only one here with no exp, but I see all the time where no exp people are being
hired...

Wow it looks like you are doing all the same things I have been doing, did you find it hard to get through all the loop holes of on line apling? but I see you finally found a job good for you

77 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: Wow it looks like you are doing all the same things I have been doing, did you find it hard to get through all the loop holes of on line apling? but I see you finally found a job good for you

I wonder how anyone ever gets hired from online apps..I gave up on the online stuff, I got tired of spending 30 min doing an application, and not hearing back from anyone... I started sending out resumes to stores saying ill take whatever you got, and im very flexible..so i sent out about 10-20 resumes...right off the bat stores were calling...and was hired, maybe because I was the only applicant at the time..who knows, they hired me...I work part time. I also get more hours at other stores for those in need, sick, vacaction, etc...all next week I will be working 8hr at my store and 4-5 hours at other stores, so next week will be 12hour days...for the days I am off this week, I will fill in at other stores, even sat, and sunday...I am only paid $9/hr..no I do not like that, but I have to take what i can get for the experiance...with 6 months retail, I can apply for hospital retail which is around $12/13 hr...but right now, extra money is extra money...
my boss also likes the fact she can call me on the dime and ill be there...and that would make any employeer happy...these teenagers are not reliable because they want to play, or they are in school, and that just means more for me...

moongoddess0802 in Alvarado, Texas

77 months ago

Hello everyone,

I came across this website when I googled for study material for the PTCB. I'm gonna try and help my niece become certified if she's interested.

I wanted to add my 2 cents to the comments made by the experienced technicians in this forum. I am a PTCB certified technician(1997) with IV certification(2000) and a Texas state registration AND I did ALL this without a "formal" education. DO NOT PAY 10,000$ TO BECOME A TECHNICIAN!!! If you can't become certified immediately, then get your foot in the door as a pharmacy cashier. If they wont put you in the pharmacy immediately, then take an entry level position as a cashier in the front of the store and introduce yourself to the pharmacist and let him/her know you are intrested in becoming a technician. Ask him what materials he/she would suggest you use to study etc. More than likely he will refer you to his/her lead tech. MAKE NICE WITH THE LEAD TECH. Once you sit for the PTCB, let the lead tech know you are certified and then show interest in filling in when someone is sick or going on vacation. If you are patient, you will eventually get your place in the pharmacy. Like a previous blogger said, it is a HIGHLY stressful work environment and most people graduate from these fly by night vocational programs with no clue. Retail is a good place to start if you have NO experience. If you want hospital, you need to gain an IV certification. This is not easy, especially when you haven't picked up a syringe or know what D51/2NS is. I suggest NPTA's program for this and contacting your local teaching, hospital pharmacy and setting up a tour with one of the technicians. Once you SEE the IV being made, you will be able to understand the course work much easier. Good luck to you newbies, Lord knows it's tough for those of us out here with experience.

chirag in New York, New York

77 months ago

If this course is difficult? How was the exam and which book i refer to take an exam, i have no money to take class.

Randy in Akron, Ohio

77 months ago

chirag in New York, New York said: If this course is difficult? How was the exam and which book i refer to take an exam, i have no money to take class.

Can you restate your question?

Chris in Malvern, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

PharmTech said: It was not very difficult to pass, since you only need about 60% to pass.

I bought a book prepping for the test by a company starting with the name M.. Mobley? I've since lost the book.. You don't need a course though. Probably about 40-50% of the test is math, so the majority of the time will be just making sure you know the math 100%. This includes memorizing all the abbreviations (qs = up to, ss = 1/2, etc.), memorizing the more common conversion factors, memorizing the different formulas (which are not complicated at all if you've taken any upper level math ... just easy algebra stuff, and do all the practice problems for math.

After that, just skim through the rest. I found that DEA numbers and Schedule II drugs appeared several times, so learn those. Don't bother learning drug names because there are far too many and would not be an efficient use of time. I started studying two days before the test and passed it with no difficulty.

i think you made a mistake...
ad= up to
qs= sufficient amount

marzena in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

i wanna be a pharmacy technican i just don't know if it's better to study at home with books or go to school but i also don't wanna spent to much money on school ,and also if this is a very difficult to become a certifed technican if someone can tell me all of this that would be great and if is ok to study on my own at home what kind of book i have to buy thanx for answering and where i have to take the test

lilian o in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

i love this site u guys r very, very helpful i just want to know if there is going to be any conversion

marzena in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

Chris in Malvern, Pennsylvania said: i think you made a mistake...
ad= up to
qs= sufficient amount

thanks for all information i'm only afraid about math i never was good with that but maybe i'm gonna try and one more think where i should go to take the test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grace in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

77 months ago

Hi,
I went to an interview for a pharmacy school a couple months back, and it seemed like the majority of the people had already been pharmacy technicians for at least a year. (Before that, I had no idea that high school seniors could have been pharmacy technicians for such a long time). Someone mentioned that all you had to do to get a pharmacy technician license was send in an application, so now I am applying for a non-examination pharmacy technician license. But I'm confused as to what this license will do for me. Am I supposed to study books before I apply for a job even if I already have a license? And how do I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician if I have no experience and no knowledge of any pharmacy skills?

Lisa in Grayson, Georgia

76 months ago

Lalita in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I started as a technician at CVS in 1999 without a certification. I worked for the company for a year and left for a position as a clothing store manager. I came back to CVS in January of 2003 and took the test in Nov 2003. I studied the books given to me by the trainer for 2 months previous to the test date. I passed the test with absolutely no difficulties. I do not believe anyone should go to school to learn how to pass the CPhT exam. Work experience and study guides are the best bet.

I believe you do need school to be a certified pharmacy technician especially if you work in a hospital or other setting where you perform complicated calculations when compounding sterile products. This is no joke and in my experience there are just too many students with poor math skills that need a classroom education. You can pass the test with lesser math skills and that is a problem that needs attention as well. A good base in biology and chemistry is also helpful when dealing with TPN's and other IV's. Many technicians do not even know the most basic of chemical symbols such as K = potassium which can cause many problems down the road. As technicians take on new and expanded roles, especially in hospitals and such, they require a better education than just passing a certification test!

Randy in Akron, Ohio

76 months ago

Lisa in Grayson, Georgia said: I believe you do need school to be a certified pharmacy technician especially if you work in a hospital or other setting where you perform complicated calculations when compounding sterile products. This is no joke and in my experience there are just too many students with poor math skills that need a classroom education. You can pass the test with lesser math skills and that is a problem that needs attention as well. A good base in biology and chemistry is also helpful when dealing with TPN's and other IV's. Many technicians do not even know the most basic of chemical symbols such as K = potassium which can cause many problems down the road. As technicians take on new and expanded roles, especially in hospitals and such, they require a better education than just passing a certification test!

Yes, I agree in part with your comments. The stink of it is that the proprietary schools (schools that pop up that are for-profit 'institutions')offer the one/two year programs for BIG bucks that put most in debt. What "I" did, which seemed very sufficient, was enroll in a continuing education class at the University of Akron (OH) that was 3 months long and focused heavy on math and to a lesser extent on terminology, drug classifications, pharmacy law, drug interactions, etc.. This has proven to be a good choice for me...one that I would recommend over a 'school'. Cost of the class was $800 that included texts. Class met 2x week for three hours. I passed the PTCB test. Note that I had no previous Rx experience...just married to an RN which btw was a help.

Jenny in Kirkland, Washington

76 months ago

Hey guys,

Is there someone working in WA state? I have a valid IL state Pharm tech license and I have applied with the WA state Pharmacy board to have it approved for WA. It obviously takes 4-6 weeks which is kind of long. I want to know if I can work as a pharm tech for certain amout of time legally in WA before I receive my approved license.
In IL you can work for up tp 60 days before you receive your license, and I hope you can do the same here in WA.
Thanks for your answer.

Hiltonsmom in Blackwood, New Jersey

76 months ago

eve in Lawrence, Kansas said: I did a year interning at a CVS/Pharmacy through my high school and I learned and know just as much as any of the techs I worked with. I just won't be certified for another 2 months and im wondering if its possible for me to get a job as a tech trainee anywhere other than where i interned.

Hello

I am a pharm tech instructor, and, I encourage my students to seek out establishments that have volunteer programs...specify that you would prefer working in the pharmacy It may not happen for you, since they have to take time out to train an individual, but, you may luck up, and go to a place where they are looking to hire, anyway. Also, if you do not get into the pharmacy, right away, at least they get to know your work ethic, etc., and, when something comes open, they may vouch for you, with the pharmacy folks. I'm not sayng to give them 8 hours/day, but, just a couple of hours maybe per week, so they can get to know you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hiltonsmom in Blackwood, New Jersey

76 months ago

decieving gecko in clearwater, Florida said: hi i had a question if u are certified through cvs or walgreens is that the same test as the cpht? somone told me it was only good for cvs and not a national wide thing.

Hello

I am a pharm tech instructor. To be nationally certified, one must take the exam, given by the pharmacy technician technician board.

That is the only way you can use "CPhT" behind your name (unless something has changed, that I am not aware of.

Walgreens manager in Sevierville, Tennessee

76 months ago

The CPhT test is a national test. Once you pass you are certified in the nation as a CPhT, thus it being accepted at CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. Usually you get a pay increase once you get CPhT certified.

xtine in Washington, District of Columbia

76 months ago

I'm thinking about getting certified, I dont have any experience in pharmacy tech so is it easy to get a job even if you have no experience????? I'm a chem major in college and i figured this would be a good way to earn decent money while im in school plus i'm leaning towards pharmacy school.

-Christine

Randy in Akron, Ohio

76 months ago

Hmmmm. You would be surprised how difficult it is to get a job as a pharmacy tech - even with a CPhT designation. Within a hospital setting - almost impossible. Certainly open to other's comments.

Good Luck
Randy M., CPhT.

John in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

76 months ago

Hiltonsmom in Blackwood, New Jersey said: Hello

I am a pharm tech instructor, and, I encourage my students to seek out establishments that have volunteer programs...specify that you would prefer working in the pharmacy It may not happen for you, since they have to take time out to train an individual, but, you may luck up, and go to a place where they are looking to hire, anyway. Also, if you do not get into the pharmacy, right away, at least they get to know your work ethic, etc., and, when something comes open, they may vouch for you, with the pharmacy folks. I'm not sayng to give them 8 hours/day, but, just a couple of hours maybe per week, so they can get to know you.

which would be almost none because of legal issues, there are some hospitals where you can do volunteer but you will not be allowed to do much of anything, maybe run meds, and put up stock..again its a legal/insurance issue because the person is not actually employed for the company to cover its liability.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.