Thinking of a 2 year Pharmacy Tech program? Waste of time, money, and heres why....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 162)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

clneal in Long Beach, California

68 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: I doubt anyone can help you with that. you can look at online hospital job postings in your area, and you will have to apply online just like everyone else, and hope for the best, and expect the worst.

Vrose you seem to have negative comments in regards to being pharmacy tech. The way I would advise anyone is to give the profession/occupation a try..
I do agree if you don't have to waste money and possibly some of your time
then don't do it..Let people decide for themselves.. If you stay to long in any job that is not compensating you right..LEAVE! most of the comments are stated that most of the people stayed in positions to long.KEEP IT PUSHIN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

alan in Mcdonough, Georgia

68 months ago

I appreciate the honesty about how this Pharm tech training is not as lurcrative as the schools and councilers suggest. I have recently lost my job in the manufacturing industry for the fourth time in 20 years due to the ecomomy fluctuating and was looking to go in a completly different direction. I cannot live on 20k to 30k. Any ideas on what choices I have for health care training that make better money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

Joseph_Headen in Belleville, Michigan said: Im 18 years old..
I work at Mcdonalds,
I've always wanted to work in the medical field,
& I believe that Pharmacy Tech.
Would be qood 4 me.
After I finish,
Im qoinq to soon start colleqe on my [PharmD]
Is this a good idea?

No. most tech degrees are flooded markets. I have a dozen years experience in veterinary medical pharmacy (refills/compounding) & found low pay & even pharmacists had no benefits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: Bottom line,.... Pharmacy Technicians don't get the proper compensation for their efforts. I agree with wendy from new hampshire, why not take some of that burdonsome "disposible income" that they have so much trouble spending, and give it to the Techs?

Where I applied as a pharmacy tech, the pharmacist got no benefits, so I wonder about whether that profession hasn't experienced a drop in general wage because more women are entering the field? Most tech degrees don't pay well/flooded market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

68 months ago

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio said: Where I applied as a pharmacy tech, the pharmacist got no benefits, so I wonder about whether that profession hasn't experienced a drop in general wage because more women are entering the field? Most tech degrees don't pay well/flooded market.

If the pharmacist did not get any benefits, then she obviously decined to take benefits. Yep, thats it, its because women are entering the field. no such thing as a tech degree. If you did you studied the market, techs are flooded, pharmacists are not. our pharmacist gets head hunter calls all day long, that is how desperate they are for pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Actually it was a male pharmacist where I interviewed who told me that this business didn't offer benefits. I have not only an Associate Degree but practiced in the field for more than a dozen years. I love biochemistry, but I can't afford to pursue a college degree to be a pharmacist (most money for higher education is drying up for everyone; I got accepted at Baldwin Wallace w/as much scholarship as the college offers, but I'd still need money for actual school expenses & support). If someone can afford this education, then that person SHOULD become a pharmacist, not a pharmacy tech. That fact doesn't always translate from other tech degrees!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio said: Actually it was a male pharmacist where I interviewed who told me that this business didn't offer benefits. I have not only an Associate Degree but practiced in the field for more than a dozen years. I love biochemistry, but I can't afford to pursue a college degree to be a pharmacist (most money for higher education is drying up for everyone; I got accepted at Baldwin Wallace w/as much scholarship as the college offers, but I'd still need money for actual school expenses & support). If someone can afford this education, then that person SHOULD become a pharmacist, not a pharmacy tech. That fact doesn't always translate from other tech degrees!

and most can not afford school, thats why its called a loan factor, and you do not start to pay back loans until 6 months after you finish...so twist the excuse of not going to school anyway that you wish, but it is possible, no money is no excuse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Nicole in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Unfortunately, this is reality. As I have stated, don't waste your money or time. I see advertisement all the time on tv for the 2 year college course, and they say what a "exciting career a pharmacy technician can be" ?????. Anyways, the truth is, they can hire someone off the street, have them take the state certification test, and if they pass...yippee....if they don't, oh well. The bottom line is they will make just as much money as you who went thru the pharmacy course in college. So, why waste the money with book ect.....the company I work for had training classes..free of charge. I went and took the certification, passed and was promised the world. I received a small raise at that time and they gave me the money back for the test...but only if you passed. I don't discourage anyone in doing whatever they want to do in life, and if being a pharm tech is what you want, then do it. I think everyone here who is a tech already just opened your eyes to what to expect as far as pay, the job itself, and the pharmacists. For what you will make, it is not worth it for all the crap you have to deal with. We are so under paid!!!!! Good luck to you for whatever you decide to do.

here, here, nothing exiting in this career, no wealth either, if anything more stress, but I have to put food on the table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sidra in West Palm Beach, Florida

67 months ago

(Reposted)I'm a certified pharmacy tech, have more than 4 years experience and I think all of these schools are SCAMS!! Why would you pay thousands of dollars to go to a school when you can get a position without ANY training?? I feel so bad when I watch commercials advertising pharmacy tech programs because they are wasting innocent people's time and money!!

Just go directly to a retail pharmacy, talk to the Pharmacy Manager, apply and start working. No certification is required!! Meanwhile you are learning on the job, getting paid, and in a few months, just write the PTCB exam and get a pay raise!! Or use the retail as a stepping stone to hospital work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio said: A (most money for higher education is drying up for everyone; I got accepted at Baldwin Wallace w/as much scholarship as the college offers, but I'd still need money for actual school expenses & support). If someone can afford this education, then that person SHOULD become a pharmacist, not a pharmacy tech. That fact doesn't always translate from other tech degrees!

If you have an associate's degree, you can apply to many pharmacy schools! Write the PCAT, and once you get in, worry about the money. Pharmacy schools do provide financing for good applicants regardless of the economy; it is an investment for your future. If you are really not qualified, that is another issue...but if you are, money doesn't always apply as an excuse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Sidra in West Palm Beach, Florida said: If you have an associate's degree, you can apply to many pharmacy schools! Write the PCAT, and once you get in, worry about the money. Pharmacy schools do provide financing for good applicants regardless of the economy; it is an investment for your future. If you are really not qualified, that is another issue...but if you are, money doesn't always apply as an excuse.

Sidra in West Palm Beach, Florida said: If you have an associate's degree, you can apply to many pharmacy schools! Write the PCAT, and once you get in, worry about the money. Pharmacy schools do provide financing for good applicants regardless of the economy; it is an investment for your future. If you are really not qualified, that is another issue...but if you are, money doesn't always apply as an excuse.

so you want someone to spend $15,000 to go to school so they can make $8-$10 an hour? DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A PHARMACY TECH. I WENT TO SCHOOL AND IT TOOK ME TWO YEARS TO FIND EMPLOYMENT. There is to much competion out there, and most have not gone to school and are not certified. Until your gov't makes it worth it for you to go to school, then it is far from worth what you get in return, if you get anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: so you want someone to spend $15,000 to go to school so they can make $8-$10 an hour? DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL TO BE A PHARMACY TECH. I WENT TO SCHOOL AND IT TOOK ME TWO YEARS TO FIND EMPLOYMENT. There is to much competion out there, and most have not gone to school and are not certified. Until your gov't makes it worth it for you to go to school, then it is far from worth what you get in return, if you get anything.

I said "PHARMACY SCHOOL", not Pharmacy Tech school. Pharmacists make much more than $8-$10/hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

DShah

67 months ago

Hi Guys,

This some good info , I should have visted this site prior to starting my classes here is Chicago, I am 35 years old. my 15 years of exp as electronic Tech has hit dead end. I am taking 3 clasess to become Pharmcy Tech or IV Tech or both. I was making $30.00 hr few years ago. now after compliting and 3 classes 5 day's week .. Don't know what to do anymore $3500 gone !!!!!!!.
There is no turinging back for me..

whish me luck and let hope Pharmacy Techs makes no less then $18-20 per hr./

Good luck.

Where are these loans u speak of? in Concord, New Hampshire

67 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: and most can not afford school, thats why its called a loan factor, and you do not start to pay back loans until 6 months after you finish...so twist the excuse of not going to school anyway that you wish, but it is possible, no money is no excuse.

Interesting...I have tried to get student loans...unsuccessfully. I graduated from a community college in GA with an Associates degree of Art (can't do anything with that except pursue a Bachelor's). I had a very high GPA, and paid for that degree with the HOPE scholarship. My husband and I moved to NH to attend another school. I won't tell u my life story, but I'm changing directions and even with decent credit, I can't get a student loan. So I don't know what you are talking about. But, I would happily stand corrected if you can point to the loans you speak of.

In regards to certification, I plan to study on my own and take the PTCB. Because I have taken college chemistry and math courses (was close to getting an Associates of Science before I switched majors), so far, the material has not been difficult, and because of the low pay, I didn't plan to pay for a training program. After reading everyone's posts, I'm glad I didn't. CPht is only a stepping stone for me. There may not be many jobs out there, but without some training, try getting a job. It's just a way to get a job...any job at this point. I just hope it's not as hopeless to get hired as you have all mentioned. But, I have little to lose going this route. Study books are relatively cheap, the exam is only $120, and I'm currently unemployed, so I might as well use my time constructively. As far as remaining a CPht, I plan to go to pharmacy school and become a PharmD.

Seriously, I would love to be corrected on the loan thing. (Not being sarcastic.)

Dbyrd in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

67 months ago

A two year education is too excessive for the job. Really,what are you going to learn in two years that can actually be applied to the job?

67 months ago

eve2 in New Hampshire said: yeah you can't just pull anyone off the street. i've worked with a lot
of people off the street because the turnover is so high. you have to
know a lot to be able to deal with everything independently that comes
up throughout a shift. pharmacists know more about medications and their
side effects, interactions, etc, but techs know more about the practical
side of things. i've worked with pharmacists fresh out of school who
don't know how to mix an IV or make a PCA, load something into a Pyxis,
use a prepacking machine, find a medication in stock, place an order...
there is nothing wrong with that, but someone off the street can't just
walk in and do it all.

My favorite quote about "doctors" has been around for decades. "You know what they call someone who graduates w/a C-D average? Doctor." I've had enough bad experiences w/medical doctors to say that not everyone graduates @ the head of the class. Ditto pharmacists, veterinarians . . . etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

changing my mind in Charlottesville, Virginia said: Wow! What an enlightening blog! T-H-A-N-K-S to all of you who answered so frankly! I had no IDEA it was like this! I was actually about to enroll n a program 30 miles away where I'd have to Pay $1600 plus books & materials, AND commute back & forth to attend, etc. I thot it would be a "pie" job!?

I am SO glad for the internet & people like you all!

So many people thinking that making certification a legal requirement will change anything. I worked as a licensed vet tech for 12 + years & never once had my license posted; few clinics ever post our licenses although it is a legal "requirement." There are no repercussions. I was on the job for two days before I was ridiculed & told that I wasted my money getting the education/degree since nearly all the rest of the medical staff were trained on the job. Veterinarians resent degreed pros like me because we know when we see medical errors & witness pharmaceutical irregularities. If it's obvious that you are disturbed by what you see, you get blacklisted (I was fired one week after I handed a two week notice as a professional courtesy). You aren't an educated "witness"; you're a "disgruntled exemployee."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I saw a comment about obtaining loans for college,only I will tell my story. I did get accepted @ prestigious Baldwin Wallace College (Berea) w/as much of a scholarship as they'll give if you go full time. It isn't enough money to pay for full time classes, & how do you go to school full time w/out working full time to pay the bills that you incur while living like most adults need to budget? There's nearly nothing available w/FAFSA which doesn't bother to ask you to tell them how much in debt you are (but FAFSA does ask if you have any savings w/out a qualification, like in my case, where I keep extra money in my checking account (borrowed @ low interest on a credit card) so I don't bounce a check). I agree w/the post that I saw; I'm asking, too, where are these so called loans? I had no help w/my Associate Degree because I'm a single women w/no children . . . previously, I stretched two loans to almost four years @ Cle State U -- I didn't graduate because I had a bad car crash that wrecked my concentration & GPA (from two year's Dean's List to straight C average), & I needed a few more classes so I could @ least get my BS, & I couldn't get another loan to finish college nor did I have any externship(s) in either major or cooperation from graduate counselling anyway. Schools seem only interested in recent high school graduates when it comes to loans; even reemployment centers won't help you further your education in a field in which you have experience. Talk about age discrimination.

67 months ago

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio said: I saw a comment about obtaining loans for college,only I will tell my story. I did get accepted @ prestigious Baldwin Wallace College (Berea) w/as much of a scholarship as they'll give if you go full time. It isn't enough money to pay for full time classes, & how do you go to school full time w/out working full time to pay the bills that you incur while living like most adults need to budget? There's nearly nothing available w/FAFSA which doesn't bother to ask you to tell them how much in debt you are (but FAFSA does ask if you have any savings w/out a qualification, like in my case, where I keep extra money in my checking account (borrowed @ low interest on a credit card) so I don't bounce a check). I agree w/the post that I saw; I'm asking, too, where are these so called loans? I had no help w/my Associate Degree because I'm a single women w/no children . . . previously, I stretched two loans to almost four years @ Cle State U -- I didn't graduate because I had a bad car crash that wrecked my concentration & GPA (from two year's Dean's List to straight C average), & I needed a few more classes so I could @ least get my BS, & I couldn't get another loan to finish college nor did I have any externship(s) in either major or cooperation from graduate counselling anyway. Schools seem only interested in recent high school graduates when it comes to loans; even reemployment centers won't help you further your education in a field in which you have experience. Talk about age discrimination.

It is funny when something does not go your way, then you want to blame, or come up with some type of discrimination factor, but anyway..the best time for college is having awesome grades coming out of high school, you can find a part time job, use your parentsmoney, grants, loans, and if you have good grades, even free scholarships, so from reading some of your post, you had a wreck? I see no discrimination here, you just had a bad luc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

eddu in Marietta, Georgia

67 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: I agree with that 100%. If you want a 2 year assoc degree as a pharmacy tech, then your pay will not change much over anothers pay, you will still make $9-12 an hour depending on what pharmacy you get into. a 2 year degree in another field which has shortages of techs (non pharmacy) you will start off around $30,000k/year, and with 1 year experiance, you could earn as much as $50-60k/year. If you just want a two year assoc degree, then it should not be in pharmacy just to be a tech. Pharmacy techs are plentyful, there are other fields that do have actual shortages because a 2 year degree is required....

in my personal opinion, unless the law changes to require a 2 year degree to become a pharmacy tech, then this is pretty much a dead end field, you will never make a lot of money unless you are one of the few that gets into a hospital with overtime, and with todays economy, a lot of compaines are cutting back...

which fields? please advise. Am also an IT person(hardware) unemployed but want to do something that will pay better.

Kyle in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

I found answer here is interesting
pharmacytechnicianadvisor.blogspot.com/
That might answer the question.

M30 in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

I agree many are underpaid, but that is due to all the career schools pumping out untrained and uneducated students with licenses. More supply = Less demand = Less salary.

They have so many technicians looking for jobs (Esp. at this rough time in history) why do they see that they have to pay any more than minimum wage?

I do agree those with higher education should be rewarded for their higher studies, but as it stands right now a BS/BA isn't even being rewarded as it was years ago.

random in San Jose, California

66 months ago

Technicians are severely underpaid in general just because of the amount of stress that is required for the job. And no, you cannot just hire any bozo off the street to do that job. Most techs burn out right away, because it requires a lot; the retail companies will run you into the ground. I get calls from all kinds of stores to work, because I have developed the skill as a technician. I've been told my most pharmacies that there is a shortage of 'good' techs, and from my 5 years of experience in the field, I believe it. As for pharmacists, they're just people. But, most of them do just sit down and check their e-mail while they make me do everything.

JLW in Baltimore, Maryland

66 months ago

Mikey D in Atlanta, Georgia said: yeahh... that dosent mean you know anything though.. at pharm school you actually learn how any where and why and im a certified tech and ill tell you i dont know squat.. can you say 7-9 years of really hard school and competitive gradschool.. yeah theyve earned their position and earn their pay

Actually, if you take away all the useless classes they had to take to get their degree you can easily finish a 4 year degree in 2 so say a 6 year in 3. Just because you earn a degree does not necessarily make you smarter nor does it give you the right to disrespect the people working under you

david1 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: Thinking about attending a 2 year legit jr college? Your probably thinking that this 2 year degree means something, as a pharmacy tech it really does not. The nuts and bolts of the pharmacy tech industry is that pharmacy techs are low wage earners, and you are a slave to the phamacist that owns a nice home because of your efforts. I have heard of people having BS degrees making only $10/hr as a phamracy tech, so what do you think about this 2 year pharmacy tech program now? Ok, congrats, you completed your 2 year pharmacy tech program, you have been hired at $12/hr if your lucky... but wait, the guy that was hired yesterday right off the back ally street was hired at $10.50 - you can finish the rest of the story on your own.

Ok, you have not gone to school yet, but you were thinking of a 2 year degree such as pharmcy tech, dont...

Radiology Tech requires a 2 year degree, once you are hired, your starting pay could be $20-$30/hr depending on location. This is compared to a 2 year pharmacy tech program starting at $10/12hr (if that)

You decide if you want to piss your life away as a pharmacy tech, and stressful days with customers for what little is paid...I know every PT dream is to get into a hospital, well wake up, 95% of pt will never ever see the inside of a hospital with higher wages. Your 2 year pharmacy degree is over, now your stuck in a dead in job.

a 2 year pharmacy tech is career suicide compared to a better
life as a 2 year Radiology Tech...

and if you have not made up your mind yet, read through this forum
on pharmacy tech's and see the unmployment rate for pharmacy tech's...
read post after post, after post on "i can not find a job as a pharmacy tech" it goes on, and on....

If the course includes an internship maybe. You need experience and the CPhT.
It's a catch 22 situation

FarmSkewl in Minneapolis, Minnesota

65 months ago

Just reading through some of these posts I have to say I'm surprised how low the wages for techs are in some states. I have worked in a retail pharmacy for 5 years total (3 where I am currently employed) and all the certified technicians are paid around $20.00/hour. I also have a job at a hospital in the specialty pharmacy and our techs usually get paid around $28.50/hour. I think $28.50/hour is a respectable wage and I think most Minnesotans would be able to get buy on it just fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deadhead in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

I know everyone lies about how much they get paid. (I'd say around a 20% bump from the actual pay)If you expect anyone to believe you get paid $28, you shouldn't have said you were in Minnesota.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

vida smith in Boynton Beach, Florida

65 months ago

I want to enrol in a pharmacy tech program, does it mean it is a great opportunity for me to advance as a pharmacist? I really want to be a pharmacist in future. Will it be a little bit easier as a tech to be a pharmacist than starting from the scratch?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

uncle_luke in Malden, Massachusetts

65 months ago

FarmSkewl in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Just reading through some of these posts I have to say I'm surprised how low the wages for techs are in some states. I have worked in a retail pharmacy for 5 years total (3 where I am currently employed) and all the certified technicians are paid around $20.00/hour. I also have a job at a hospital in the specialty pharmacy and our techs usually get paid around $28.50/hour. I think $28.50/hour is a respectable wage and I think most Minnesotans would be able to get buy on it just fine.

I don't believe you get paid that much for a certified pharmacy technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KMG365 in Southbridge, Massachusetts

64 months ago

You could get paid that much if you worked as a lead tech at a hospital for maybe 20 years or something.

Pay above the $18 an hour mark its pretty much unheard of in any pharmacy tech setting.

kmac08

63 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: It is funny when something does not go your way, then you want to blame, or come up with some type of discrimination factor, but anyway..the best time for college is having awesome grades coming out of high school, you can find a part time job, use your parentsmoney, grants, loans, and if you have good grades, even free scholarships, so from reading some of your post, you had a wreck? I see no discrimination here, you just had a bad luc

If you have all the answers then why are you so miserable about your own situation?

brown_dude34 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

63 months ago

The career path of a pharmacy technician is very frustrating. I am currently a certified/registered pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts. I wish I had discovered this forum before I ever ventured down the path of becoming a certified/registered pharmacy technician. Any way I am back to square one I have to return to school in order to train for a better career.

The wages as a pharmacy technician are too low to live on as well as raise a family. Because of the low wages your standard of living goes down the angrier you become. Please whoever is reading these posts learn from the mistakes of others and don’t go down this career path.

The people who are posting this information are not lying they have lived this nightmare. The commercials on TV advertising a rewarding experience as a pharmacy technician are absolute lies and fabrications. Go to a community college enroll in a 2 year biomedical, nursing, laboratory, radiology training program.

If you’re interested in the medical field go for a nursing degree, biomedical laboratory technician, radiology technician. At least that 2 year degree credits you earn in a nursing program biomedical laboratory technician, radiology technician that can be transferred to a 4 year college down the road. The job market is very poor in this current economy. If you don’t have the necessary skills with a 2 year degree or more I don’t know how you’re going to survive.

-Good Luck

jm in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Hello guys!

Just to give you some highlights about the pharmacy technician career. I found that most of the comments were negatives. So, let me discuss my personal point of view regarding this subject.
I have been working as an IV pharmacy tech for almost four years Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I was a victim of economic crisis. Our company needed to terminate part-time employees and sadly I was one of the unfortunate employees whose been kicked off.
I would like to share with you the scope of my work. At the beginning, I started to work full-time. It was ten hours per day for four days. I have nothing against my schedule since all of my colleagues were exemplary. They were all nice and easy to deal with. However, I decided to work part time after one and half year because I wanted to pursue my profession as a registered pharmacist since I am a foreign pharmacist. I want to seek for personal and professional growth. Honestly, I was quite satisfied working as a pharmacy technician because I received a decent salary, my boss treated us as professionals, and I like my job though it was challenging most of the time.
At the present time, I am jobless and still searching for another part time pharmacy tech position so I can continue my study.
My advice to those who want to be a pharmacy technician ..just follow your heart, nobody can stop you to fulfill what you want. I am telling you that every job has its own flaws. In fact, there is no such thing as a perfect job. As long as you follow your heart's desire and you love what you do, I think you will be alright.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Casis in Ventura, California

62 months ago

jm in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello guys!

Just to give you some highlights about the pharmacy technician career. I found that most of the comments were negatives. So, let me discuss my personal point of view regarding this subject.
I have been working as an IV pharmacy tech for almost four years Unfortunately, a couple of months ago I was a victim of economic crisis. Our company needed to terminate part-time employees and sadly I was one of the unfortunate employees whose been kicked off.
I would like to share with you the scope of my work. At the beginning, I started to work full-time. It was ten hours per day for four days. I have nothing against my schedule since all of my colleagues were exemplary. They were all nice and easy to deal with. However, I decided to work part time after one and half year because I wanted to pursue my profession as a registered pharmacist since I am a foreign pharmacist. I want to seek for personal and professional growth. Honestly, I was quite satisfied working as a pharmacy technician because I received a decent salary, my boss treated us as professionals, and I like my job though it was challenging most of the time.
At the present time, I am jobless and still searching for another part time pharmacy tech position so I can continue my study.
My advice to those who want to be a pharmacy technician ..just follow your heart, nobody can stop you to fulfill what you want. I am telling you that every job has its own flaws. In fact, there is no such thing as a perfect job. As long as you follow your heart's desire and you love what you do, I think you will be alright.

Hi,I am a forein pharmacist trying to start my cereer as a pharm tech. Could you please answer a few of my questiones? It would be so nice to actually hear from someone who "walked in my shoes" ;-) Here is my e-mail kat.lisowska@gmail.com

james jonava in san francisco, California

61 months ago

I think spending 2 years in college to get certification for pharmacy technician would not be worth of time and money as well because as you might already know, pharmacy technician pay scale is not that high compare to other medical or heath care career.

Median hourly earnings of wage-and-salary pharmacy technicians in May 2006 were $12.32. The middle 50 percent earned between $10.10 and $14.92. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $8.56, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $17.65. Median hourly earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of pharmacy

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos252.htm

However, what I can suggest you would be taking online course while you have other jobs. The best part of online school I've known is that they guarantee a full money back if you don't pass the exam. If you have a hard time to pass the exam, your 2 years time spent in jr. college was wasted...

I also enclosed the link to pharmacy technician school which guarantee a full money back, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

-Good Luck!!

Crazypillz in Dundalk, Maryland

60 months ago

Wendy in Claremont, New Hampshire said: Every pharmacist knows that their techs are underpaid. So why not pay pharmacists a measily $5.00 less and give techs $5.00 more? Hmmm- also, why isn't this position unionized? Now there's something to think about!
PS- I am a lowly pharmacy tech

I"m in a union and I see techs abuse those rights. They will make mistakes and harm a patient *and not really caring* and when *after long term of extra training and negotiations* the person still does it because they merely don't care then they will use the union to make sure that they have their position. It takes a lot of amount of time from lawyers and unions to come together to negotiate and all the craziness. In the mean while, more patients gets hurt and that person doesn't give a f * c k about the amount of blood is in that person's hand. So A LOT of people abuse the union in a matter that the union should be ashamed for. I am happy that they try to give us a voice and rights but it also has it's downside where people get hurt, where people die, and also prevents technicians from going up the career ladder. The career ladder is cut from us too because the union wants to keep us in one place so they can have their union fees. So even though we want to be in a position where we get paid more and have more benefits, we can't because of union rules and procedures. Also when they strike, they pull us from jobs and if I try to work for the patients then I get shunned and have nasty letters thrown at me. There was an incident where I was cornered and my car was missing a tire. I don't know how they can deal with the thought that leaving work and technically preventing the patients from getting their medicines are suppose to be beneficial. So yes, there is a lot of downside of union.

60 months ago

vida smith in Boynton Beach, Florida said: I want to enrol in a pharmacy tech program, does it mean it is a great opportunity for me to advance as a pharmacist? I really want to be a pharmacist in future. Will it be a little bit easier as a tech to be a pharmacist than starting from the scratch?

No...the two years that you use to be "schooled" as a technician can be used to fill your prerequisites requirements for pharmacy school. being "schooled" to become a technician doesn't really make you a better pharmacist. You also technicially can learn everything they learn in school just by experience. So it's a waste of money and useless also it delays time for you to go to pharmacy school and it also delays time for you to fulfill your dream. Life is to short. Start your prerequisites and learn to be a tech by experience.

60 months ago

Katherine said: Concerning two year college. I am in one, and in a sense, I am rather disappointed. Not about studying for an Associate's Degree to become a pharmacy technician but at how they US' pharmaceutical camp works.

I am very proud to be taking my two year course, I've learned more than I have my whole life and I don't see how you can not take an actual course and pass so easily. There is alot of information that has to sink it, the types of antibiotics, their generics, commercial names, they're action mecanism, the different laws, the requirements, what's illegal, HIPAA, posology, learning how to make certain medicines, remembering their formulas, to know the basics of what each is used for, the different presentations, their benefits, pharmacy abbreviations, it's just so much.

Fact is, in Puerto Rico, the pharmaceutical industries are 10 times more strict than in the US apparently. You can't just become a pharmacy technician right of the bat. You need to have finished high school, have a college degree (of any kind), you need to have completed 1,000 of practice, among other things. Here they REQUIRE you to have studies and you NEED all of that to take your certification to work anywhere. It is completely illegal for someone who doesn't have the studies to work in this field.

Sometimes when I read what you all type it's like...you're working with animals. The pharmacy technician's job is to do everything the pharmacist does except consultations, verify that the prescription is right and to give it to the patient once it's been throughly verified. Pharmacist here except you to have the knowledge to not depend on them in any way and do your job right. Even if you don't give consultations, you need that basic information. You need to know what you're working with, you need the knowledge to be able to respond to certain situations.

So does that mean you guys get paid better? Enough for a living wage and for a family?

lisa in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

I see everyone complaining how little they are getting paid compared to the pharmacists, so my question is, WHY NOT GO FIND SOMETHING BETTER FOR YOURSELF? find something that you can support is family on or you can make a living off of. It is what it is for a pharmacy technician. The truth is no matter what, pharm techs will always get paid WAY less than what pharmacists do. Afterall, pharmacists are the one who went to 6 years of school, or even 8 years for some people to get to where they are now. They went and got the education they need to be making the big bucks.

I don't think sitting behind the computer, bitching and moaning about the pay really does anyone good. Don't get me wrong, I am not a hypocrite in any way. I am a pharm tech myself as well so I know all about it. The point is, it is what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

luvyduvy in Barboursville, Virginia

60 months ago

lisa in Chicago, Illinois said: I see everyone complaining how little they are getting paid compared to the pharmacists, so my question is, WHY NOT GO FIND SOMETHING BETTER FOR YOURSELF? find something that you can support is family on or you can make a living off of. ....... I don't think sitting behind the computer, bitching and moaning about the pay really does anyone good. ....

don't know why you need to be so harsh, lisa. People here have experience & I am GLAD they've complained! Otherwise, I'd be in debt a few thousand dollars & halfway thru a stoopid, no-good PHARMACY PROGRAM!!!!

People don't know until others tell their story whether it be complaining or singing the praises of being a Pharmtech---and thank GOD for those that spoke of their woes in the form of complaints or I'd be in the same boat.

People can't just "GO GO FIND SOMETHING BETTER" by the time they've devoted their money, time & best efforts to be in a position to see what it's really like. Grow UP. I and others have homes, family, spouse, debt, etc that have accumulated in the meantime that won't wait while we search for 'something better'.........

Besides, it FEELS good to complain, it relieves stress & it doesn't harm anyone--rather it educates others, like me, who might otherwise follow in their no-so-profitable or happy-footsteps. COMPLAIN AWAY ALL YOU DISSATISFIED PHARMACY TECHS! LET us know what it's really like for YOU!

lisa in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

luvyduvy in Barboursville, Virginia said: don't know why you need to be so harsh, lisa. People here have experience & I am GLAD they've complained! Otherwise, I'd be in debt a few thousand dollars & halfway thru a stoopid, no-good PHARMACY PROGRAM!!!!

People don't know until others tell their story whether it be complaining or singing the praises of being a Pharmtech---and thank GOD for those that spoke of their woes in the form of complaints or I'd be in the same boat.

People can't just "GO GO FIND SOMETHING BETTER" by the time they've devoted their money, time & best efforts to be in a position to see what it's really like. Grow UP. I and others have homes, family, spouse, debt, etc that have accumulated in the meantime that won't wait while we search for 'something better'.........

Besides, it FEELS good to complain, it relieves stress & it doesn't harm anyone--rather it educates others, like me, who might otherwise follow in their no-so-profitable or happy-footsteps. COMPLAIN AWAY ALL YOU DISSATISFIED PHARMACY TECHS! LET us know what it's really like for YOU!

i guess i can see where you are coming from. sorry if i was being a little insensitive, i do have to agree with you that if no one started this post, some people might have felt in the trap to go to school for nothing.

On the other hand, i was trying to encourage others to find something better out there. What's the point to complain, it only gets you so far. At the end of the day, it's fine to complain and relieve stress and all, but you are only lying to yourself because you are still stuck at the same ol job doing everything the pharmacists do but getting paid like 1/5 of what they get paid. Go ahead and complain and relieve whatever type of stress you got, but just trying to keep it real.

Josh in Studio City, California

59 months ago

True, Pts are underpaid in the retail business, but not in big hospitals and jails. Kaiser Permanente for example start off a PT at $17 and some change, but getting in is like 1 in 100. PT career is like a doorway to a real career in healthcare. Alot of people pay thousands just for the licence when U can go to a community college that offers the programm which comes out to less than $1000 including books! AND ITS NOT TWO YEARS OR AN AA. The truth here is that many people get fooled and are promised the world (as Nicole mentioned above) in Pharm Tech Schools. Im A Certified Pharm Tech at a correctional facility in Los Angels and the pay is not bad for a starting pharmacy Tech however, I was on a waiting list for a year just to get interviewed. Its definately a career that will NOT suport a family no way! Im still in school too and not in this field.. You will go bald up quick with all the thinking an responsibilities while you get payed peanuts. And true Pharmacist feel that techs are inferior to them. Do not pay 13K! go to a community college its less than a year and less then $1000. We deserve better pay!! including those who did not go to school for it! our duties demostrate it 100%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: I am sorry to disagree with you vRose, I don't know what is required to be a Technician in Florida, but here in Maryland (and in a lot of states now) you can't hire someone and train them to be a pharmacy tech.

I live in PA and I was hired after just turning in a application and I had no experience. I was also still a Senior in HS.

58 months ago

Pharmacists are responsible for their technicians much like veterinarians are responsible for their technicians. Both will train on the job regardless of possible "legal" requirement(s) . . . I never had my veterinary technician license posted despite legally required in the state of OH. That pharmacy techs have no credentials required @ some pharmacies doesn't surprise me @ all.

Tony in Dayton, Ohio

57 months ago

I noticed someone on here used the term "Diploma Mills". I like that term, and it is exactly what we have going on in society today. Many schools popping up offering false hope through certificate and diploma jobs in careers where people would probably be better off just knocking on the front door, walking in with no experience and working their way up. Also we live in a society where employers want a diploma, but then again they want on the job experience. So how does one get both?
I fell for the old Diploma Mill scam several years back. I had a chance to go back to school for training in a field free of charge, thanks to a government grant i qualified for. I had no idea what to take, i blindly signed up for HVAC without checking into things. Well, i go to school for what was suppose to be a 8-9 month program, but turned out to take 14 months due to the fact the school kept canceling classes and extending the program. Anyways i finally finish the program, only to find myself in a situation that i had never imagined. Turns out HVAC is one of those careers where you can have all the diplomas you want, unless you have some on the job experience nobody wants to talk to you. Also, if you are in your 30s or 40s with no on the job experience nobody wants to talk to you. If you can manage to get a job, you are looking at minimum wage for doing all the grunt work, crawling around in basements, on roofs, in attics while the other techs sit in the company van. I was never able to even get a interview with a employer in my area, i ended up moving on to something else.
How does all of this fit in with Pharmacy Tech? I decided i would try to go back to school and get training in another field. Well, Pharmacy tech is one of those and from what i have read and learned, it looks just like the same thing i went through with HVAC all over again. Schools pumping out 100s of students with diplomas and no job offers.
This same thing is happening in many different fields today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristaw in Penticton, British Columbia

57 months ago

I have worked for several different companies as a tech. they are treated very poorly. the wage here and canada however has increased in the recent while. the wage used to start at 8 dollars, which has now been raised to about 14. they are paid VERY poorly for the efforts. i finally signed off on this career in july when i worked for one more bad company and fianlly gave up. working overtime not getting paid for it, horrible boss and cowerkers..and stress up to here!!! i have doen other jobs including serving, and none of these even compare to the stress of a pharmacy tech job. they in canada are starting a certification where the wages will start at 20 and go up from there, but its still not that much if you ask me. the entrance levels for this course are like...chemistry 11, english 12, and math 11 with 60 percent. its not that hard to get in..but its a TOUGH job, that is not paid very well. id rather serve tables.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

boxer in Mcallen, Texas

57 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi all, I am a Registered Tech in Baltimore Md. I have been a Pharmacy Technician for almost 6 years now. I have worked both in retail and hospital Pharmacies. My boss has changed my official title to "engineering Technician I" because there is no official position for "Lead Tech" or "technical supervisor" at my hospital. Even with the destinction of lead technician, I do not make more than 35,000/year. The only way I make anywhere close to what I was promised, is with massive amounts of overtime. Let's face it ya'll, we do the grunt work and are the back bone of general pharmacy operations, and get very poor compensation for our efforts. Perhaps some of you have worked with the "sit and check" or "internet" pharmacists. You know, the one who just sits there and makes you do everything and all they want to do is compare what you filled to what was ordered. I am sick of hearing in their conversations about their disposible income, DISPOSIBLE INCOME? give me a break, I mean if pharmacists are so fortunate to have all this extra money, then why are Technicians so underpaid? We all need to join a national union, and demand higher wages.

That sounds like a great IDEA, How can we get started to form a national union. Techs should begin pay no lower than $18/hr and go to a high max of 30 dependin on company> pharmacist get paid 45/hr to 70/hr. thats just my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

bosox63 in Toms River, New Jersey

57 months ago

I was thinking of taking a 9 month certification class in New Jersey . I was wondering if I could get some feedback from pharmacy techs in New Jersey and see what type of salaries are out there .

Nisa in London, United Kingdom

57 months ago

I do not understand why people don't just avoid becoming pharmacy technicians in the first place, train as a pharmacist instead, that would make common sense!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nisa in London, United Kingdom

57 months ago

Why don't you all just enroll in pharmacy school, to become a pharmacists and get better pay? I mean it would take you longer, but surely you would avoid all these frustrations that come along with being a pharmacy tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.