Thinking of a 2 year Pharmacy Tech program? Waste of time, money, and heres why....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 162)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

57 months ago

This is a reply to anyone who wonders why people become pharmacy techs instead of pharmacists . . . perhaps the fact that @ least eight years of college education costs would be required (undergrad work/then specialty residency like any other medical degree & maybe more time if someone needs to qualify in competition for few residency positions)? Since the comment comes from the UK, perhaps the UK offers "pharmacy school" instead? Then there's the enormous malpractice insurance that pharmacists must carry like any other medical doctor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jubjub in Peoria, Arizona

57 months ago

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: Thinking about attending a 2 year legit jr college? Your probably thinking that this 2 year degree means something, as a pharmacy tech it really does not. The nuts and bolts of the pharmacy tech industry is that pharmacy techs are low wage earners, and you are a slave to the phamacist that owns a nice home because of your efforts. I have heard of people having BS degrees making only $10/hr as a phamracy tech, so what do you think about this 2 year pharmacy tech program now? Ok, congrats, you completed your 2 year pharmacy tech program, you have been hired at $12/hr if your lucky... but wait, the guy that was hired yesterday right off the back ally street was hired at $10.50 - you can finish the rest of the story on your own.

Ok, you have not gone to school yet, but you were thinking of a 2 year degree such as pharmcy tech, dont...

Radiology Tech requires a 2 year degree, once you are hired, your starting pay could be $20-$30/hr depending on location. This is compared to a 2 year pharmacy tech program starting at $10/12hr (if that)

You decide if you want to piss your life away as a pharmacy tech, and stressful days with customers for what little is paid...I know every PT dream is to get into a hospital, well wake up, 95% of pt will never ever see the inside of a hospital with higher wages. Your 2 year pharmacy degree is over, now your stuck in a dead in job.

a 2 year pharmacy tech is career suicide compared to a better
life as a 2 year Radiology Tech...

and if you have not made up your mind yet, read through this forum
on pharmacy tech's and see the unmployment rate for pharmacy tech's...
read post after post, after post on "i can not find a job as a pharmacy tech" it goes on, and on....

Funny, i'm a pharmacy tech.. took 35 weeks training, and i'm making 15/hr, yeah, it's not great pay, but can't find much better for 35 week training class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

to Jubjub & others: Most if not all tech degrees don't lead to living wage jobs. $15 hour would be heavenly in OH but worth little in CA or any state w/higher cost of living expenses. In OH, radiology is a flooded market. Seems same attitude toward pharm techs as vet techs. We are ridiculed for wasting our money on the degree by on site trainees, vets write articles bragging about training people off the street, & the clinic receptionist learns a few skills & is now titled a vet tech. $12.50 an hour has been the stated standard wage for vet techs for decades; it was a lie then & is still a lie. The cleaning staff made more money than me, an honors graduate. & we had a vet tech intern completing that degree who was a licensed radiology technician who couldn't find work due to too many radiology techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jayme k pharm

55 months ago

i am currently taking online classes(expensive) for pharmacy tech. after reading these postings im not so sure i should be wasting my money. is it really possible to just take the exam, pass and get hired in a hospital or community pharmacy without any formal training? if so i will go get the study material and schedule my exam next week!

mimi in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

Hi there. It is true.You do not need to graduate from a pharmacy tech program in order to get hired. However, the nature of pharmacy jobs are quite tricky since most people I know who got hired were all "recommended" by someone who already works there. Not only that, in order to get your foot in the pharmacy door it is hard as well especially when you do not have any experience. Employers all want to hire someone with experience that have at least a background so when they train them they would at least know somewhat what's going on.

Also, because you come out from an expensive pharmacy training program does not guarantee you will land a job. I suggest you get out of there asap if you can (with no financial penalty of course). Then call your hospitals/retail pharmacies to "volunteer". Most employers will actually put you to work and this way you will gain valuable experience and maybe even the manager will let you stay and work there.

Hope all this helps and good luck =)

55 months ago

Re: "on line" training (correspondence school) & classroom courses . . . It's always better to have hands on training versus "book learning." If you have a background in nursing math (biochemistry of any kind), you can probably pass a pharmacy tech exam. You MUST understand the math & principles of compounding if you expect any good pharmacy tech job (hospital). You wouldn't want to endanger anyone, right? You must have a healthy (pun) respect for the drugs that you dispense even if all you do is count for prescriptions. There are legal issues involved in processing payments through insurance companies, too. Consider it all; do you think that an on line course will really qualify you for employment compared w/someone who has taken classes that train students? COMPARE COSTS, too. I've found a wide range of education costs for pharmacy tech in the Cleveland area, from $2K to $15K!

55 months ago

In response to Tony's post, I can remember class action lawsuits regarding various fields of study in 1991 when I graduated as a veterinary technician (talk about misrepresented & waste of time & money). Many schools were graduating students knowing that there were only a few possible job openings anywhere. There was even a "60 Minutes" special focusing on Julliard graduating far too many accomplished students (violinists, etc) for the few available orchestra openings. Compound "regular" schools w/all the local specialty "colleges" (Remington, Bryant & Stratton, Brown Mackie . . . the list keeps getting longer). Does anyone in any of those classes really believe that there are enough job openings in that particular field to accomodate even a small percentage of the graduates? But schools need tuition moneys from students to pay their bills!

55 months ago

The big advantage in going to a "real" college is transferable credit hours for a different area of study. Even most four year universities will accept some credits from a community college, & often the initial requirements @ a two year college overlap w/a number of different areas of study, so you can concentrate on two certifications or switch entirely or even get into a four year program maybe. Most of my fellow veterinary technicians were back in college w/in a year or two of finding the field disappointing if not downright disgusting (low pay/high responsibility/no benefits/over scheduling & understaffing & no respect). They could use their prerequisite credits applied to another area of study.

Kristaw in Penticton, British Columbia

55 months ago

boxer in Mcallen, Texas said: That sounds like a great IDEA, How can we get started to form a national union. Techs should begin pay no lower than $18/hr and go to a high max of 30 dependin on company> pharmacist get paid 45/hr to 70/hr. thats just my opinion.

i very much agree with what ur saying i also am a very experienced tech. and we are overworked and underpaid for SURE. its a crime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristaw in Penticton, British Columbia

55 months ago

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio said: The big advantage in going to a "real" college is transferable credit hours for a different area of study. Even most four year universities will accept some credits from a community college, & often the initial requirements @ a two year college overlap w/a number of different areas of study, so you can concentrate on two certifications or switch entirely or even get into a four year program maybe. Most of my fellow veterinary technicians were back in college w/in a year or two of finding the field disappointing if not downright disgusting (low pay/high responsibility/no benefits/over scheduling & understaffing & no respect). They could use their prerequisite credits applied to another area of study.

yes even reading these posts gets me going. it is pretty discusting how low techs get paid, and how much work they are expected to do and how much stress they are expected to put up with. ahh depressing dont even start with it. i did the job for quite a long time, and its pretty thankless again the pharmacist gets all the glory. i woudlnt recommend it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

But no one told u to become a "career tech", if you don't like how much pharm tech's get paid then u should maybe go back to school for other things. When I say school, I mean real school, not 2 year colleges to get you medical assistant diploma cus then you'll just come right back out making the same thing. A real 4 year bachelor's degree.

Pharmacy technicians jobs are great for people that are in it short term wise while have something else going for them career wise.

I am in no way trying to put anyone down but just saying "it is what it is" if you don't like howmuch you get paid then go back to school and better yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jayme k pharm

55 months ago

well the thing is i am not able to attend school right now because i have 2 one month old son and im on my own so i have nobody to help out and cant afford nursery because im not working. i already signed up to take the national certification exam and im doing so next month.... i think its very scary how you dont have to do anything but a 120 question exam and pay a fee to work in a pharmacy and handle the info and responsibility that you do! in ohio you dont even haveto take the exam or be registered to work in the pharmacy!!! by the way this only temp. so that i can pay the bills to get through a real school next year

mark in Pompano Beach, Florida

52 months ago

That mess up we need more money

pookie5353 in Indiana

51 months ago

I just want to do it for the experience, learn something new, make a little money while at it.

real reason in Las Vegas, Nevada

49 months ago

The real reason why techs get paid so low is because of RESPONSIBILITY and making judgement calls. The pharmacist is the one who is responsible for everything. If a patient dies because of a misfill, it is on the pharmacist, even if it was the tech's fault. If the pharmacy is not following the law, then the pharmacist will get in trouble. Pharmacy techs are not paid to make decisions, they are there to do the grunt work.

Sure 80% of the work is mundane and is easy. You can easily read that prescription for Simvastatin 20mg and verify it like the pharmacist. But the worth of the pharmacist is dealing with that 20% that is difficult...that you always refer to the pharmacist to do. What do you do if you get a prescription for heparin 5000 units SQ TID? Is the dose appropriate? Will you fill it? The patient is 7 months pregnant? Are you going to fill it? Now, the prescription says to fill with needles? What needles are you going to dispense with Heparin for the pregnant lady? What if the script read heparin 15000units BID? Is that dose appropriate? What about the patient that comes into the pharmacy asking for advice? Do they need to go to the doctor or is something OTC appropriate? What if you recommend something OTC then the patient dies because you didn't tell them to see the doctor? Making those educated decisions is why the pharmacist get paid more. The pharmacist is responsible for hundreds of lives on a daily basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mimi in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

So you're basically saying, as technicians we hold no responsibility for anything and it's all up to the pharmacist to tell if you're wrong? It's all the pharmacists doing the job to save ppls' lives and technicians just go to work for sh*ts and giggles everyday? We all have job responsibilities big or small no matter what our duties are. We all contribute to patient safety, it's all of our responsibilities. We work as a team to run things smoothly! Heck, even housekeeping have to do their part so the pharmacy can run smoothly without having all these garbage laying around. We are all responsible for our job duties!

Sure pharmacists' duties are more clinically involved, they go to 4 grueling yrs of school to learn about drugs, they deserve to get paid more. Haven't you guys realized, most medical related jobs (excluding RN,PA), less schooling = less pay. Why would a company pay you 100k or even 60k/yr when you can get your tech license w/o having to go thru any schooling other than apply? What did you do to deserve that pay?

but to say techs get paid less because they are not responsible for anything is incorrect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sophy in Bangor, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

OMG, my name is sophy and i just enrolled in an online college(Kaplan university).It is recommended for 12 months and its going to cost me about 4k.I was pretty excited about it 2wks ago. Just got my books and all. I was really thinking about making it my career.But now after reading all you guys comment i feel a little discouraged. I've been working in a dead end job for quite sometimes now(green house facility)and i wanted to do better for myself. So i thought about entering the medical field and of course this was the field i chose. I don't know what to do now i already put a down payment. I see i don't have a choice but to go through with it. Never once thought it would be like that.I mean this woman i spoke with(kaplan's rep)made it sound like the world. She even told me this profession was booming.Did i just make a big mistake?......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lovey in Charlottesville, Virginia

49 months ago

best of luck to you--can't really say for sure--it depends on where you live, where you work--retail vs medical facility, etc., but let this be a lesson to you to research EVERYTHING on the internet before you make a move--in general for LIFE! I research everything like which freekn laundry detergent / fabric softener is best bang for the buck nowadays!

Stephen in Texas in Edcouch, Texas

49 months ago

I became a Pharmacy Technician. What a mistake that was. Save your money and your time and do something else. Most of what you learn in school you don't even use in a retail setting. In a compounding pharmacy or hospital you use what you've learn in school but the pay still will suck. I love science and chemistry in general which is why I became a Technician. The truth is the Pharmacy industry is all about making and protecting their bottom line, period. You are a worker bee nothing more. The work it self in a retail setting is dumb dumb work. You print the RX from the computer. Fold the RX look for the drug and match drug numbers with the bottle. Take drug back to work station. Count tabs or you can even put it in a counter. Put the counted amount in the bottle. Place the label from the Printed RX label on bottle. Place in RX and Bottle in basket for Pharmacist to check. DUMB DUMB work. You go to school you learn drug names, basic math, body systems, Federal and State law, compounding, medical terminology, inventory control, drug interactions, among other things. Then you find out Walmart starts you out at $8.50 an hour, CVS/Pharmacy starts you at $10.50 an hour, Walgreens starts at 11.25-12.00 an hour. Most Hospitals don't want to hire with out previous experience. Then it's 11.50- 12.50 an hour rotating shifts, Holidays, etc. Mean while you find out the Pharmacist who many of them only have their BS is Science, Chemistry, or Biology are making $56-68 an hour or $80,000-92,000 a year compared to your $18,000-24,000 a year. My advice to any one who is going to be a Pharmacy Technician is don't. The guy who mentioned going for Radiology is right. Make more money use your training and get paid well for it. Don't get caught in a underpaid, undervalued, dumb dumb job. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lovey in Charlottesville, Virginia

49 months ago

thanks Stephen, for your real-life experience. Sorry you found out the hard way & are underpaid, underworked & probably unappreciated for what you put into it! :(

FrannyF in Vancouver, Washington

46 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: The answer is simple. You can pull anyone off the street, and pay them any dirt amount of money you wish, and someone will be there to do it., on the other hand, you just can not pull a pharmacist off the street, they spend 6 years in school, so all the money is going to go to the pharmacist...any company will pay more to keep a pharmacist rather then a tech..why? because pharmacy techs are a dime a dozen...

If this nation would close the loop hole and require everyone to go to a 2 year school before allowing certification, then you will see pay go up because of shortage, right now there is no shortage for a tech, as they are not required to be educated. If techs were required to be educated, then it would be a completely different story.

I agree with you 100% Bravo! I am in a 2yr college degree program for Pharm Tech, the college I am attending does have a certificate program, but I want the degree not just in hopes of getting a better job then someone with no formal education but for my own personal reasons as well. I am enjoying it a lot and I hope in the end it is worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deidre in Langley, British Columbia

43 months ago

I am a certified pharmacy tech in Vancouver with 4 years of experience. Because techs are now a dime a dozen in this area, the most they are willing to offer is about $11/hr. You can't live on that. It's barely above minimum wage. So much for the $10k college course I took. If you are willing to move somewhere remote, you can earn about $18/hr. (but who wants to do that??) I am interested in hearing if you did decide to take the course and how you are faring now :)

Latifa in Vancouver, British Columbia said: WOW...i'm so happy to read so many diff opinion from everyone
i was thinking of doing Ph-T program and get a job right away.but after searching here and there have just found out that , it's not fair...for example some people study medical lab assistant and get $20 sharp...just cuz of poking someone , and as a Ph-T , we do alot more that that end up with MAX $18 or $20??
here in vancouver , u can be a ph-T with just a 6 months course and start working next to a pharmacist.
is it possible to get to a hospital??
does it really worth it to go and study for this and do this job for the rest of ur life???
what should i do??

Johnny boy in Hollywood, Florida

43 months ago

Come on guys! You have to be smarter than the average bear. I started out in retail just like many of you. I also saw the hard ships of the crapy pharmacists, busy drive through, over 900 fills daily, issurance bs, phones ringing off the hook, and a rude population. You want the upper hand? Make every shift balls to the wall. "super tech". I busted my butt every day came into work. I was the man. I knew every complicated issurance solution. I dumped the refill que and filled it everytime i walked into the pharmacy. If you called my store, 9 out of 10 times you would hear my voice first. I started out at $8.oo an hour. Six months later, Walgreens paid me to take the test (which you can study for a couple weeks and pass). A 8 months in, I was a senior tech making the schedule along with my custom days off. My store manager didnt want to pay me what I was asking for so i went pharmacy shopping! I made such a well rounded impression on so many pharmacists, that it didnt matter that I had only 2 years retail. My letters of rec could fill a brief case. Now I currently work for a hospital in south florida making just shy of 17.00 an hour, 2.00 differential, 3.00 weekend pay, certified/registered (payed by the hospital) and im trained in peds, narcs, i.v, chemo, you name I can do it! My point is, if you want more for yourself then the only thing holding you back is YOU! By the way i am currently applying for 50,000 a year salary job, supervising Techs and Pharm Ds. 2 years hospital and 2 years retail and man is hospital pharmacy a small world! Dont let anyone tell you that pharmacy is a bad route to go. I firmly believe that you are in control of what you want. You want to make something from nothing then keep your head down, mouth closed, and bust ass!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

bianca s. in Daly City, California said: wow this is interesting. I was thinking of another career path possibly as a pharm. tech. Geez, I did not know it paid so low. I went to one of those schools with a 9 month program in dental assisting. My starting salary was $14.00. The greedy dentist made me take my RDA test and promised a raise. After I passed, her offer was $1.00 more hourly. Forget that! I applied for a job in customer service for an insurance company and started at $17.50. Moved up to the Sales Division and now I am at $60,000 a year. Guess, I'll stick to my job for now..

Your doing the right thing. 60,000 a year is something to be proud of. I like your ambition though. like you, I am always looking for the next best deal!

43 months ago

real reason in Las Vegas, Nevada said: The real reason why techs get paid so low is because of RESPONSIBILITY and making judgement calls. The pharmacist is the one who is responsible for everything. If a patient dies because of a misfill, it is on the pharmacist, even if it was the tech's fault. If the pharmacy is not following the law, then the pharmacist will get in trouble. Pharmacy techs are not paid to make decisions, they are there to do the grunt work.

Wow. You went a little over board friend. You must be a pharmacist. lol my only problem with your rant is the fact that you have a hint of grouping us all together. Im a tech at a hospital, and i go to codes with pharmacists. In fact I go alone have the time. your not giving us enough credit. Most consultations on otcs have and explination on the back of the bottle for what might be best for you. Unless your question is extensive to the point where it makes you question what might interact in a negative way. Even then, your 6 year degree isnt going to save you. The best and brightest are still going to look it up before they give any advice! If you say im wrong then your not being honest. So what sets apart a good tech and a pharmacist really? 6 years and money. Because anything you want to know about an rx is as easy to find out as a few minutes on your key board.

S in Florida

43 months ago

I have worked as a pharmacy tech for 20 years and been certified for 16. It is the WORST job ever. After all this time I dont have a pot to piss in. I have worked retail, hospital, LTC, home health and mail order. I worked for this mail order company called Informed Mail in Miramar and it was pure slavery. The job was to enter prescriptions as an Rx entry tech. You did the same job every day all day. The timeclock was on your computer...you had to punch in to begin work, punch out to go to break, punch back in coming from break, etc etc, it was holy hell. Everyone including the pharmacists had to put up with their "concentration camp". If you were a minute late punching in, you received an "occurance" and 12 of those got you fired.
All mail order is like that, and being a tech in general is a crap job. Forget about this as a career, it is a dead-end hole, which will never pay you a wage you can live on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S in Florida

43 months ago

In mail order you are forced to type 40 prescriptions an hour... and you have supervisors who are basically slave overseers, running after you,, constantly threatening you with termination for falling short of that 40 scripts per hour goal. Mail order pays you $13 dollars an hour and want you to to sweat BLOOD for that low wage, believe me todays mail order pharmacy is no different from the sweatshops of the 19th century. I had a supervisor that DARED to tell me that I went to the restrooom too much!

D CPhT in Uniontown, Ohio

42 months ago

Johnny boy in Hollywood, Florida said:

The liability of the pharmacist and the licensed ability to understand everything about the drug is the difference between a pharmacist and a technician. OH! And a $120k education! Keep in mind of course that a computer with more info than u will ever need is always available. I can plug info into a profile and get the same answer a pharmacist would...but get paid far less.

Retail is definitely underpaid! I am switching to hospital or closed door because even tho I love helping patients...retail cares about just efficiency and numbers...not people. And I hear mail-order is no different. Patient healthcare should be #1, always, but sadly is not. I wanted to help people...but that won't happen here. The corporate b.s. is irritating. I remember when healthcare employees use to be respected. My vote is not to be a pharm. technician or pharmacist unless you shoot for the hospital. other pays are just ridiculous to try and live on. I worked for a retail chain pharmacy who ran you rampant, who's benefits sucked and the starting pay was $9.75/hr. WTF? Right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D CPhT in Uniontown, Ohio

42 months ago

FrannyF in Vancouver, Washington said: I agree with you 100% Bravo! I am in a 2yr college degree program for Pharm Tech, the college I am attending does have a certificate program, but I want the degree not just in hopes of getting a better job then someone with no formal education but for my own personal reasons as well. I am enjoying it a lot and I hope in the end it is worth it.

I too have a 2 year degree and felt that it was the only way to get a foot into the job. The cert exam was easy to me and I plan on being a hospital pharmacist someday soon. Some states require certification and a degree already and we are taught that eventually the gap will close between a schooled and unschooled techs. Those with years of experience will be grandfathered I presume. THEY ARE AMAZING! some of that stuff (esp. billing) you just can't teach! I was surprised to learn that a tech didn't need a degree. I would personally not trust a beginning tech with anything unless they were schooled...and even then...who knows? The future i believe will have grunt work techs, senior techs who check like a pharmacist would and the pharmacist will take on more of a doctor role with counseling PRN. Most RPh and PharmDs inoculate. what more can we give em shy of writing and filing the scripts?

Narvaez in Saint Paul, Minnesota

42 months ago

Curious in Houston, Texas said: Who is "you all"? Anyways, that is wonderful that you perceive it that way. You are entitled to your opinion. I also have a degree and I do not agree with you. However, since you are so proud and you feel this way...make sure you stay employed in your country and don't try to come over here. Don't forget to mention that to your relatives & friends who maybe in pharmacy tech school also.

Puerto Rico is part of the United States. We can come and go as we please. How rude to tell someone to stay in their own country. What kind of a PT are you anyways? What part don't you agree with? That a PT should be certified. I can not believe that states allow 15 yr old kids to sell narcotics.

erica in Hercules, California

41 months ago

I have enrolled into Carrington College (Used to be Western Career College) and i start the pharm tech on june 27th....after i am done what are the steps to become licensed?

Jenner in La Crescenta, California

41 months ago

Before u finish school u will submit the application to the state along with a fee ($100 here in California) and a live scan for a background check. The u will receive your license. u can get Certified by the board by taking a test. Www.ptcb.org

Jenner in La Crescenta, California

41 months ago

Jenner in La Crescenta, California said: Before u finish school u will submit the application to the state along with a fee ($100 here in California) and a live scan for a background check. The u will receive your license. u can get Certified by the board by taking a test. Www.ptcb.org

Text me I'm a certified tech I can tell you more. I work at the juvenile hall pharmacy for the LA county
my name is joshua
Area code thee one zero, five nine two fifteen thirty eight

barbaramullis@tampabay.rr.com in Auburndale, Florida

41 months ago

Nothing has changed!I began working as a "Phcy Tech" 29 yrs. ago.My last job in retail paid $13.00/hr. Again, I left the Phcy. 10 yrs.
ago. I do feel for you because I really WAS in your shoes for a long time, and those shoes sure do ache and hurt from standing in one place for hours at a time!!

Anna in Los Angeles, California

41 months ago

I am also living in Los Angeles and getting ready to purchase books for my exam. What are the best books to prepare? Which city in California did you take your exam? What were starting wages in California?

Princess in Land O Lakes, Florida

39 months ago

I just got enrolled in a pharmacy tech program that will lasts for 3.5 months, because unfortunately as of January 2011, florida's new law is to have each pharm tech certified, registered, and they MUST go through a program. I attend college, and plan on doing this on the side as a part time job, while i still go to school. My dream is to get into pharmacy school! And in order to get in, it is much appreciated if applicants are knowledgeable on the various aspects of clinical pharmacy & retail pharmacy (your trying to be the best when interviewed by your pharmacy school, and the more exposed you are, the better, volunteering is another way as well). I do recommend those who plan on pursing a career in becoming a pharmacist to become a pharmacy technician first. Have a feel of really what goes on instead of devoting your life and spending 4 years in pharmacy school with a previous 2 yrs of pre-reqs. I do agree that pharm techs should be paid more, hopefully in time this will change. Just be positive, but always have a backup plan, thats the best advice i can give. Do not dedicate to one thing alone, always keep your options open to different areas in the medical field. And RESEARCH is a MUST, please research as muchh as you can, it is the only thing that will really help you with making a decision.

grunt in Flint, Michigan

38 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi all, I am a Registered Tech in Baltimore Md. I have been a Pharmacy Technician for almost 6 years now. I have worked both in retail and hospital Pharmacies. My boss has changed my official title to "engineering Technician I" because there is no official position for "Lead Tech" or "technical supervisor" at my hospital. Even with the destinction of lead technician, I do not make more than 35,000/year. The only way I make anywhere close to what I was promised, is with massive amounts of overtime. Let's face it ya'll, we do the grunt work and are the back bone of general pharmacy operations, and get very poor compensation for our efforts. Perhaps some of you have worked with the "sit and check" or "internet" pharmacists. You know, the one who just sits there and makes you do everything and all they want to do is compare what you filled to what was ordered. I am sick of hearing in their conversations about their disposible income, DISPOSIBLE INCOME? give me a break, I mean if pharmacists are so fortunate to have all this extra money, then why are Technicians so underpaid? We all need to join a national union, and demand higher wages.

There are plenty of hardworking pharmacists out there in the the line of fire. Have you ever thought about applying to school, make yourself more valuable at work through your efforts. I've heard this for years and you can do what I did get an application and put yourself through school like many of us.

lostkeysintro@hotmail.com in Turlock, California

37 months ago

My two best friends waited on the Rad tech wait list at our local Junior college for 4 years before getting in. When your 150 on the list and the class only takes 14 people a year your pretty screwed. Yeah rad techs make a lot but what are you gonna do while waiting on the wait list? Same with the RN and LVN programs they all have 2 plus year wait lists, you could go to a votech school for the SAME certification and get it done in 12 months. Making money why the other people are still on a waitlist.

36 months ago

While I agree that everyone should respect the enormous biochemical responsibilities & malpractice insurance premiums that accompany a degree as a pharmacist, I find it sad that I am reading a comment from a pharmacist named Sandy that indicates that pharmacists have as little respect for their technicians as veterinarians have for their technicians. We ancillary staff deserve a living wage, especially if degreed. Not everyone has the $ or time to devote to "further education," & the government & banks have nearly shut down loan programs of all kinds. W/my degree & dozen + years experience in pharmacy, laboratory science, anesthesia, surgical & medical assistance, radiology, etc, I have found none of those legitimate skills transferable to the human field. The only difference in education & accomplishment is four legged versus two legged. OK, sometimes winged & scaled, too. It isn't that easy to get a medical degree.

toxxic82 in Seattle, Washington

36 months ago

jayme k pharm said: i am currently taking online classes(expensive) for pharmacy tech. after reading these postings im not so sure i should be wasting my money. is it really possible to just take the exam, pass and get hired in a hospital or community pharmacy without any formal training? if so i will go get the study material and schedule my exam next week!

It is really possible! That's what I did! I started working for one of the chain pharmacies who didn't provide training for us, but did provide us with the study materials. We were told that once we become certified there will be a raise. So why not? Got the books, looked it over, took the test. It's pretty easy just get the books and study them.

toxxic82 in Seattle, Washington

36 months ago

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio said: While I agree that everyone should respect the enormous biochemical responsibilities & malpractice insurance premiums that accompany a degree as a pharmacist, I find it sad that I am reading a comment from a pharmacist named Sandy that indicates that pharmacists have as little respect for their technicians as veterinarians have for their technicians. We ancillary staff deserve a living wage, especially if degreed. Not everyone has the $ or time to devote to "further education," & the government & banks have nearly shut down loan programs of all kinds. W/my degree & dozen + years experience in pharmacy, laboratory science, anesthesia, surgical & medical assistance, radiology, etc, I have found none of those legitimate skills transferable to the human field. The only difference in education & accomplishment is four legged versus two legged. OK, sometimes winged & scaled, too. It isn't that easy to get a medical degree.

I agree with you. It is sad, but what can you do about it? Nothing. There are those that will keep complaining and do nothing to change for themselves and there are those that will change careers, advance in education and go on to better themselves. It just all depends how you want to be treated I guess.

MJ in Redondo Beach, California

33 months ago

I KEEP READING ALL THESE POSTS ABOUT PHARM TECHS ARE UNDERPAID..WHY STAY STUCK DOING ALL THE GRUNT WORK GO BACK TO SCHOOL ITS NEVER TOO LATE..IM IN SCHOOL RIGHT NOW TAKING PRE PHARMACY...

turnatech in NewYork, New York

32 months ago

The Turn-A-Tech Pharmacy Technician program prepares candidates to pass either of the two national certification exams; PTCB or the ExCPT. In addition, when candidates complete the course, they will be prepared to work in a pharmacy. During the twelve weeks, students will learn the basic responsibilities of becoming a pharmacy technician including the preparation of medications, maintaining client records, assisting with inventory control, purchasing, processing insurance claims, customer service and much more.

Complete our program in just 12 weeks! Save time, most other programs are 9–24 months.

Financial Assistance is available, call to find out about our payment plans.

Guaranteed Mentor-ship. Have one to one mentoring from a licensed pharmacist.

We are up to 15 times less expensive than our competitors! Tuition is just $649.

24 hour online schedule

According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, Pharmacy Technicians earn from $12 - $18 per hour.

Please visit www.turnatech.com

For more information about the Occupational Outlook.of pharmacy technician’s salary please visit www.bls.gov/oco/ocos325.htm

BR in Reno, Nevada

31 months ago

It's definitely a waste of time. I've been a technician for four years - since my freshman year in college. I figured being a pharmacy technician would be a well paying, respectable college job. Sadly, it has been nothing but miserable. I was hired without any previous experience or any technician schooling. I studied for the PTCB exam the night before, and it was a joke. I couldn't believe how hard people had made it out to be. Don't spend thousands of dollars on some technician training program, because if you are persistent in your job search, you can land a technician position without experience or schooling. However, I would rather suggest to you that you completely forget about becoming a pharmacy technician. As it has already been said, you will be nothing more than a pharmacist's bicth, while getting paid at the most $15/hour. Go get a real degree somewhere, and find a real job.

BR in Reno, Nevada

31 months ago

It's definitely a waste of time. I've been a technician for four years - since my freshman year in college. I figured being a pharmacy technician would be a well paying, respectable college job. Sadly, it has been nothing but miserable. I was hired without any previous experience or any technician schooling. I studied for the PTCB exam the night before, and it was a joke. I couldn't believe how hard people had made it out to be. Don't spend thousands of dollars on some technician training program, because if you are persistent in your job search, you can land a technician position without experience or schooling. However, I would rather suggest to you that you completely forget about becoming a pharmacy technician. As it has already been said, you will be nothing more than a pharmacist's bicth, while getting paid at the most $15/hour. Go get a real degree somewhere, and find a real job.

31 months ago

I suspect that every job that ends w/"technician" is much the same. Your employer (pharmacist, veterinarian, etc) pays as little as possible for as much work as possible, & who cares if & when you burn out since "techs" like you aren't considered any more knowledgeable than the "assistants" that are hired off the street all the time. But $15 an hour? That's a great wage compared to all the expertise required of a vet tech @ much lower pay! & no one censures a clinic for not posting your license, either, although that is legally required.

bobbyn94 in Arlington, Washington

31 months ago

I just want to say one thing; When I was a single mom I went to a 9 month technician program and I was at the top of my class which wasn't easy while caring for a 6 month old. This job saved my life and supported myself and my child with better working conditions than you would expect at an assembly job. And when everyone was getting laid off , guess what? I was still working !!! And even though the job is stressful and theres a lot of crap, it's still the best choice I ever made for myself. I have been a technician for over 16 years now and I am just now getting ready to take the PTCB which will increase my pay. I'm just saying it may not be the right choice for some , but when you need to work and don't have the time or resources to go to school for years and years, it's the best choice one can make!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

oscar.a.perera@gmail.com in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

31 months ago

James in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi all, I am a Registered Tech in Baltimore Md. I have been a Pharmacy Technician for almost 6 years now. I have worked both in retail and hospital Pharmacies. My boss has changed my official title to "engineering Technician I" because there is no official position for "Lead Tech" or "technical supervisor" at my hospital. Even with the destinction of lead technician, I do not make more than 35,000/year. The only way I make anywhere close to what I was promised, is with massive amounts of overtime. Let's face it ya'll, we do the grunt work and are the back bone of general pharmacy operations, and get very poor compensation for our efforts. Perhaps some of you have worked with the "sit and check" or "internet" pharmacists. You know, the one who just sits there and makes you do everything and all they want to do is compare what you filled to what was ordered. I am sick of hearing in their conversations about their disposible income, DISPOSIBLE INCOME? give me a break, I mean if pharmacists are so fortunate to have all this extra money, then why are Technicians so underpaid? We all need to join a national union, and demand higher wages.

You are referring to "disposable income". Perhaps the reason you are a just a technician is because you can not spell words correctly. If you are not happy been a technician and you already have a BS or Associate Degree, you should apply for Pharmacy School. Perhaps what you are missing is the extra mile you have to go to become a professional pharmacist. Finish school, take your boards, do the internship, then the residence, and make over 6 figures. That is how a professional is made, not "winning". Efforts and studies and Board certifications and degrees is what makes the professional salary. Go to pharmacy school or get out of pharmacy technical duties. You do not understand what a pharmacy technician role is. (You are just a support person and not a professional).

luzlumy in Bronx, New York

30 months ago

I have been a pharmacist slave for 20 years and I don't recomend to become a PT. If anybody reading this comments is planning to work in the pharmacy field, I suggest you take the extra years and become a pharmacist instead.

6 years in Humble, Texas

30 months ago

Johnny boy in Hollywood, Florida said: Come on guys! You have to be smarter than the average bear....

I agree with this man ^^^. As with ANYTHING in LIFE, it is up to YOU. I started working as a pharmacy technician at age 17 in 2005 for Rite Aid in NJ. Yes, they hired me "off the street" but at age 17 I was WILLING to work hard and work SMART. If you have the drive be a SUPER TECH. Stand out from the crowd and do you DUE DILIGENCE. I worked for Rite Aid, 40 hrs/week, for 4 months. Learned about the medical abbreviations, brand/generics, ordering drugs, and everything about the retail world of pharmacy because I made it MY business to know it. I left Rite Aid because they were only paying me for crap and I felt like I should be certified asap. I did what Johnny did, I went "pharmacy shopping" CVS, Rite-Aid (at another location 30 minutes away), and Walgreens all wanted to hire me. I negotiated pay with the one that would pay me the most. It was Walgreens. Within 4 months with Walgreens I was certified, became a Senior Tech (Senior Certified Pharm. Tech) and earned the most compared to many that were working with the company for years.

I am now 23. I've been working as a tech while in undergrad, but now moved to Texas for life changes and find myself doing another "pharmacy shop". I worked at a store that did 700-800 scripts a day. As a single person, I worked like as if I was 3 techs rolled into one. I know my worth. What's yours?

Moral of the story: Be EDUCATED, smart, do your HOMEWORK & due diligence. Corporations have a lot of money, and when you are in the interviewing process, if you can prove that you are worth more than what you are currently being paid for--then you've got it!

If you're going to stand in the sidelines, complain, and let the situation take control of you instead of taking control of the situation--then I bet this kind of mentality runs common in your life... outside of being a pharm tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.