"Why becoming a certified pharmacy technician is not worth your time"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 115 of 115)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

jacobjredsox in Aurora, Colorado

1 month ago

financially frustrated in Deltona, Florida said: I have worked for CVS for going on 2 years now after completing the pharmacy technician training program through University of Florida. I am not nationally certified but am barely making 10 an hour. I feel like I was mislead as well. They tell you that pharmacy techs make 30,000-35,000 per year. That is far from the truth. I work as many hours as I possibly can and still barely make it check to check. I am a single mom who was trying to find a career to support my family. Impossible. I am planning on continuing my education to become a pharmacist. It's sad when you have gone to school for a career that leaves you having to collect food stamps just to feed your family. :( If I had known how lousy the pay, I would have chose radiology or respiratory therapist. Good luck and just don't get you hopes too high.

I work as a Compounding Pharmacy Technician for a company called CAPS. I'm 5 months out of school and am already making 25 an hour. Laziness will get you nowhere people. All you have to do is want it. Complaining about this is completely stupid. I prove all of this wrong. I'll be making 30 an hour by the end of this year. STRIVE FOR GREATNESS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TWA1958 in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

1 month ago

jacobjredsox in Aurora, Colorado said: I work as a Compounding Pharmacy Technician for a company called CAPS. I'm 5 months out of school and am already making 25 an hour. Laziness will get you nowhere people. All you have to do is want it. Complaining about this is completely stupid. I prove all of this wrong. I'll be making 30 an hour by the end of this year. STRIVE FOR GREATNESS!

I have been a nationally certified Pharmacy Tech since 2002, after being laid off from the Telecom industry in the Dallas-Fort Worth area (and I have a Bachelors degree from The University of Texas)..I have worked both hospital and retail, and I can tell you people that alot of these so-called success stories are bs...The truth is 90% or better will start off in retail after getting national certification (many will be part-time, due to retail chain cutbacks), making from $10-$16/hr depending on locale...If you're lucky, you might get a position in a hospital pharmacy at $14-$18 starting...Good enough to support oneself, but hardly lucrative...If you want to work in the healthcare field, my advice...Go Nursing (become a RN), or respiratory...Or if you have the intellect, become a pharmacist, or perhaps a PA after earning your Bachelors in Biology...Pharmacy Techs are a dime a dozen...Wished I had gone to PA school :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hrachelle in Houston, Texas

1 month ago

Yep. You have to want it. I'll say it again. I've been in pharmacy for a long time. Started out in retail and worked my way through different pharmacy industries. I am a salaried worker at just over 50000/year. It's pure laziness and the the fact that you are not making a quick dollar that makes you mad. No industry is going to pay you more than you are worth. Take that however you will. If you want to make more you have to make yourself more valuable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TWA1958 in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

1 month ago

Hrachelle in Houston, Texas said: Yep. You have to want it. I'll say it again. I've been in pharmacy for a long time. Started out in retail and worked my way through different pharmacy industries. I am a salaried worker at just over 50000/year. It's pure laziness and the the fact that you are not making a quick dollar that makes you mad. No industry is going to pay you more than you are worth. Take that however you will. If you want to make more you have to make yourself more valuable.

I plan on doing just that...I will have my 2nd Bachelors (in Biology) in May of 2016 (at age 58), and plan on apply to PA schools in Texas, Oklahoma, and possibly New Mexico...Congrats on your position...I would have to say however, you are the exception, and not the rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MaryKat13 in Somerville, Texas

23 days ago

Gaby in Miami, Florida said: I recently graduated from a private school as a Pharmacy Technician.
Im registered, but not yet certified cause I tend to freak out about the test.
Im scared that Ill fail it or something.
I graduated in May 2011, should I still consider taking the exam or just go to another career?
also ... would walgreens aor cvs allow me to be a volunteer and work in the pharmacy as a registered pharmacy tech. until im ready to take the exam?

Hi, I work as a pharmacy tech at Walgreens. I know in Texas you can get hired as a Pharmacy Tech Trainee and work with that license until you take your exam. Sometimes it is more difficult to find someone who will hire you without being certified, but the jobs are out there. As long as you let them know you intend on taking the exam, you should be fine. I would give both Walgreens and CVS a shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hrachelle in Dallas, Texas

23 days ago

Yes, you should take the exam. Even if you do move on to something else. Loads of people do other things and keep their certificates up to date just in case. The test is not hard. I took it without any college classes or coursework. I had worked as a clerk in a pharmacy in high school but that was before you had to be registered as a trainee. Anyway- as far as a pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS allowing you to work, I doubt they would allow you to volunteer. There are very strict rules about these things and If you are not certified, the only way to gain any experience behind the counter is if you are registered as a trainee. There is one last note I want to leave in here because I notice it's a trend in this topic of conversation. Big retailers like Walgreens and CVS are NOT the only pharmacies in existence. If you allow yourself to be narrow minded and think because the are a big retail chain that that are they end of the line and pay the big bucks, then you are wrong. There is so much more to pharmacy than that. There are plenty of independent pharmacies that pay their employees well. There are also compounding pharmacies on the rise of your willing to get your compounding certifications (there are 3). There are in-patient pharmacies everywhere (also require compounding certifications) specialty pharmacies, mail order pharmacies, pharmacy software companies... Use your imagination folks. The pharmacy industry is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Abro22 in Indianapolis, Indiana

11 days ago

So much negativity on this forum; it's ridiculous. I've been licensed as a technician for a year and work at Wal-Mart pharmacy making $12.55 per hour. You start out making around $9 and then get a hefty raise once you're licensed. For those of you saying take a class to get licensed/certified, please stop recommending that. I've never a) known a tech who took a course who actually knows what they're doing when they're hired or b) a pharmacist who wants to hire a tech who took a course. It's a waste of your time/money, you learn a lot more on the job, AND you learn how the pharmacist you're working for wants you to do things.

To add to that, I just got my certification and am now switching to a hospital tech job. It's a good (though stressful) job that pays well and you can get in at a hospital if you're fairly intelligent and a good worker. If you can't handle using your brain on a daily basis or standing up (God forbid), this is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cf3001atyahoodotcom in Lancaster, California

7 days ago

Author = my email. Retail techs please email me for this great easy commission opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tranquilkitten in Chaska, Minnesota

5 days ago

Advice needed! I worked as a Pharm Tech in IL in the 90's when all that was needed was a certificate from the state. Worked at Walgreens for 4 years & was sent to work at their mail order facility in Orlando for a summer because they were short-staffed. I then moved to working at an off-site Long Term Care pharmacy for 6 yrs that supplied over 100 nursing homes. I left pharmacy when I moved to MN 15 yrs ago & am working a Finance job that I detest. My husband & I will be moving to CA this year & I want to go back to pharmacy. My goal is to eventually work in any of the environments I described above (including hospital) EXCEPT retail. I plan on going to an accredited trade school to prepare for the certification exam. Am I right to assume I will have to take the exam twice- here in MN & again in CA? Will I have to do an externship in retail? Will any of my past experience count in my job search? BTW, no hate for the retail folks- it's just not the environment I thrive in. I regret leaving the field so much as it was so interesting to me... Just wanting to get back to what I love doing & trying to find my way.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

smccue2 in Fredericksburg, Virginia

5 days ago

Tranquilkitten in Chaska, Minnesota said: Advice needed! I worked as a Pharm Tech in IL in the 90's when all that was needed was a certificate from the state. Worked at Walgreens for 4 years & was sent to work at their mail order facility in Orlando for a summer because they were short-staffed. I then moved to working at an off-site Long Term Care pharmacy for 6 yrs that supplied over 100 nursing homes. I left pharmacy when I moved to MN 15 yrs ago & am working a Finance job that I detest. My husband & I will be moving to CA this year & I want to go back to pharmacy. My goal is to eventually work in any of the environments I described above (including hospital) EXCEPT retail. I plan on going to an accredited trade school to prepare for the certification exam. Am I right to assume I will have to take the exam twice- here in MN & again in CA? Will I have to do an externship in retail? Will any of my past experience count in my job search? BTW, no hate for the retail folks- it's just not the environment I thrive in. I regret leaving the field so much as it was so interesting to me... Just wanting to get back to what I love doing & trying to find my way.....

If you take the national exam with the ptcb then you will only need to take the exam once. You just have to follow the states specific licensure rules. Usually when u get the national cert u just have to register with the state healthcare professional agency. I'm not sure what Minnesota or California's state reqs are.

As to the externship, most programs will have some retail aspect as well as exposure to hospital or clinical environment But each program varies so it will depend on which program you go with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

smccue2 in Fredericksburg, Virginia

5 days ago

Tranquilkitten in Chaska, Minnesota said: Advice needed! I worked as a Pharm Tech in IL in the 90's when all that was needed was a certificate from the state. Worked at Walgreens for 4 years & was sent to work at their mail order facility in Orlando for a summer because they were short-staffed. I then moved to working at an off-site Long Term Care pharmacy for 6 yrs that supplied over 100 nursing homes. I left pharmacy when I moved to MN 15 yrs ago & am working a Finance job that I detest. My husband & I will be moving to CA this year & I want to go back to pharmacy. My goal is to eventually work in any of the environments I described above (including hospital) EXCEPT retail. I plan on going to an accredited trade school to prepare for the certification exam. Am I right to assume I will have to take the exam twice- here in MN & again in CA? Will I have to do an externship in retail? Will any of my past experience count in my job search? BTW, no hate for the retail folks- it's just not the environment I thrive in. I regret leaving the field so much as it was so interesting to me... Just wanting to get back to what I love doing & trying to find my way.....

Also your past experience will count. I've known a few people who took a break from pharmacy but were able to come back and find a job. It will just depend on who is hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tranquilkitten in Chaska, Minnesota

5 days ago

smccue2 in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: Also your past experience will count. I've known a few people who took a break from pharmacy but were able to come back and find a job. It will just depend on who is hiring.

Thanks for the info!! I see that in CA all that is needed for a state license is proof of passing the ptcb & a HS Diploma. I can't find anywhere that it is required to attend an actual school in order to sit for the ptcb & see quite a few online courses that are affordable that can help to prepare me for the exam. Do you have an opinion regarding trade school prep vs. online prep?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

smccue2 in Fredericksburg, Virginia

5 days ago

Tranquilkitten in Chaska, Minnesota said: Thanks for the info!! I see that in CA all that is needed for a state license is proof of passing the ptcb & a HS Diploma. I can't find anywhere that it is required to attend an actual school in order to sit for the ptcb & see quite a few online courses that are affordable that can help to prepare me for the exam. Do you have an opinion regarding trade school prep vs. online prep?

I myself did an online course that prepared me very well for the ptcb. It was sponsored by a pharmacy in a local free clinic. i got experience volunteering there and that was the equivalent to my externship. but since you have already worked in the field you already have a working knowledge of the field. so really an online course would probably work. just make sure its properly accredited and you should be fine.its also a way for you to bypass doing externship in a retail environment. the internet is full of study aides and the ptcb site itself provides practice exams

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RxTechExam in Richmond, Virginia

5 days ago

Check out www.Rxtechexam.com we guarantee you pass the PTCB exam with our completely online course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cf3001atyahoodotcom in Lancaster, California

5 days ago

Hi everyone. If you're a pharmacy tech for a retail. Please email me. Easiest money you'll ever make. Author name is my email address

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.